Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    Garden Grove Kia Kia Sorento LX w/ Convenience PkgMSRP $26,005 Your internet price after rebates is $22,795* + Fee's Exp.11/6/10** We do have a meet or beat offer... * price includes $1000 customer cash-$1000 cometitive bonus- Exp 11/6/10** you may qualify for other rebates
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited November 2010
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent and first-time owner of a Kia. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon on November 10, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mthrunmthrun Member Posts: 5
    For what it's worth, I ended up paying 20,450 +ttl for the '11 LX with convenience pkg, and got 300 over KBB trade in value for my car. It was a hard faught battle that took several days of negotiation and weeks of preparation but in the end it got 4k under invoice. I should also mention I purchased on the last day of the month. I hope this helps.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    That is a great deal! What State are you in? It just doesn't get much better then that. What was the OTD?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I am in the market for the new Sorento. I wish you guys could give us more details on your purchase such as the MSRP vs. buy price, trim/model (LX, EX or SX), options or add-ons, drivetrain (FWD or AWD), location and perhaps your buying expensive (factory incentives, internet sale).
    I live in Gilbert, AZ. I believe the MSRP was 24395 plus their b.s. tint and protection pkg and mudflaps which they tried saying cost 1k. I told them to either take it off or dont charge me for it. I was eligible for 2k in kia rebates and negotiated the rest. I dont remember the OTD but it was 20450 plus 8.8% AZ tax on 8k after trade, plus title and license. I really only paid attention to what i could negotiate. I also got them down to 2.9 financing but that all depends on your credit. I should also note the most fun part. I previously talked a different dealer down to the same price but it was 30 miles away, the color i got was the only one in the city, that dealer was going to have to trade the other dealer to get that car but i decided i didnt want to do biz with them so he thought he'd try to get the car anyway and I'd have to buy from him(shady). The dealer i ended up buying from didnt want to give me the car for that price but when the guy came to pick it up, they called me and offered me the same deal so i took it. I'd have loved to see the look on the shady dealers face when they told him no cause i was coming to buy it from them.
    Lok....i included most of your info on my previous post but it was just an LX FWD 2.4L, white pearl w/ black interior. It did have the convenience pkg which is 1k. It doesnt really matter if you buy from the internet guy or not, anyone working at the dealership can get you the same deal if they want the sale bad enough. It all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put in. My suggestion is to use my price and if you add extra options, just add the invoice cost to it. Play a couple of dealerships against each other and buy on the very last day of the month.
  • denana877denana877 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer has already added the below options on a Kia Sorento 2011 XL. He has deducted the full amount of $1838 from my cost. Since these figures are way overpriced just wondered what a realistic value for these would be so I might know if its worth the deal. I live in SC.

Environmental Package 995
    PIn Stripes 149
    Tinted Windows 399
    Mud Guards 295 Total 1838
  • harry013harry013 Member Posts: 8
    Went to the Big 3 Kia on Long Island NY. Over two seperate days and a total of 4 hours I thought I had hammered out a decent deal. I wanted the LX with no options, I was flexible on the ext color. MSRP was 23190 which included the 795 destination charge. Invoice price was 22435. I qualified for the 1000 factory rebate and 1000 competitive rebate. My negotiated OTD price was 22700 (20700 after 2000 in rebates). My thinking that it was 265 over invoice and 490 under MSRP so we shook hands and he filled out the sheet calculating taxes, noting rebates and a down payment etc. When I checked it over I found the forms preprinted "administrative fee" of 349 added in. I argued that the 22700 (20700) was an "out the door price" and therefore the 349 was unacceptable and a deal breaker. The big boss came out to discuss with me and they wouldnt budge on the 349 and I walked out. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice based upon their own experience? Either way I know I am in the proper neighborhood and only 349 off a sale. Thanks
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    All dealers have an admin fee that they won't and in many states can't budge on. When you start negotiating that should be the first question out of your mouth...."what admin/docs fees does the dealer charge". Use that amount just like the factory destination charge and treat it as non-negotiable. That way you know what the "real" OTD price is.

Many states limit the amount of doc fee. They can charge less or have the option not to charge it at all. However, states have also ruled that if they charge it to one customer they have to charge the same thing to all customers or they can be charged with discrimination because it is a fee. They can adjust the actual price of the car all they want so it really is a game at the end of the day.
  • kiramakirama Member Posts: 15
    No matter if the fee is 'required' or not, they could drop the price of the car by the same amount..I think you can find another dealer to beat that deal anyway. If you use truecar data and add in the additional $1000 incentive (truecar only shows one rebate for $1,000) a dealer 51 miles will sell you the same car for $19,451 + tax and license. truecar It's usually pretty easy to figure out what dealer truecar is using by going here and searching for new Kia Sorento's within 75 miles of 11101 (zipcode I used in truecar) kia sorento inventory
    Thanks for the replys on my Big 3 Kia experience. Not 3 hours after I posted it, the saleman called me back and said he went over everyones head and the boss approved the removal of the 349 "admin fee" because they want to meet sales quotas. Since I was happy with my original agreed upon 20700 price before the 349 fee we now have a deal. Next time I will ask about this fee or ask to see the sheet they do the final writeup on and cross out the admin fee amount before spending hours negotiating. I always mention a negotiated OTD price because they never want to call you a liar if you when you need to play the OTD card. Its like a retailer selling you a 5000 flat screen and tacking on an admin fee to pay their overhead. It shouldnt be allowed. Most people probably just fold on the issue.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Don't know what state you're in but after you do the final paperwork at the dealership let us know how they "removed" the admin fee. I'd be interested as to whether the fee was still on the paperwork but they just reduced the sale price of the car to make the difference or if it was, in fact, removed completely.
  • teecee3teecee3 Member Posts: 3
    Considering an AWD I4EX since 3rd. row seats a n/a for us and do not care for the full panoramic roof Kia option on V6 model. Dealer said they can have 3rd.party installer add a functional moon roof for frt. seat roof area and get it covered under 5yr. warranty if done at purchase time. Has anyone had any experiences adding a moon roof other than from factory, and if so any issues developed over time? Looking in MA.Thks.
    I'm in New York State, specifically on Long Island. I pick up the car tonight and will update you soon. If my memory serves me correctly (I dealt with this issue on my 2003 Altima purchase), this hand written sheet "disappears" and is replaced with a "typed" sheet (sorry I dont know what the correct term is for the sheets)which starts with the final total purchase price before taxes, title fees, rebates and down payments. This is why its so sneaky, if you dont realize it when it written up and signed, you will never see it on the typed sheet. (BTW, this is the sheet my insurance agent needs a copy of along with the window sticker to ensure proper coverage). Then it get confusing with the addition of the rest of the info adding and subtracting amounts to get to the bottom line which is what is owed by bank check when picking up the car. I have an accounting background which helps immensely. Ill update on Monday.
    As I thought, the revised bill of sale shows only "price of car" which would have been my negotitated price and the 349 :administrative fee". So basically, you have one chance to catch the addition of this "admin fee" as the form which had the preprinted 349 "admin fee" on it (which the salesman then completed by hand with the taxes, rebates and down payment) becomes the final "typed" bill of sale which combines my negotiated price with the admin fee onto one line, "price of car". Then unless your good at numbers and know what the tax is supposed to be calculated on you might never notice. Next time I buy new, I will cut to the chase and state that any admin fee will be part of my negotiated price. I may even ask to see the form in advance to establish what Im talking about. Thanks.
    Thanks for the follow up. Don't know why you would want the $349 admin fee rolled into the "price of car" because that is usually the amount you pay sales tax on. If it is a "fee" on the bill of sale it shouldn't be taxed, at least in most states.

In fact, getting a lower sales price and a higher admin fee can actually save one a few bucks. I see people on here getting all upset because the dealer charges a $500 admin fee. It makes little difference if you negotiate into the final price and will usually save a few dollars in tax.
    I agree with you. But most of the time people negotiated a price without knowledge of this fee and therefore it is truly an add-on which is (or isnt) discovered when they put together that intial sales invoice. By then most people are worn out, have no fight left or simply dont want to challenge the salesperson on his assertion that this is a "standard" fee charged on all sales.
    One other point, in NY at least, the fee would be taxable based upon the way they handle it. That means either they are doing something wrong in regards to the sales tax laws OR it is indeed a bogus fee meant to increase profits which is why its taxable and made part of the price of the auto. Either way its shady the way its handled. It appears and then disappears.
  • rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    I'm in Baldwin and went to Karp Kia. In the process of looking for a Sorento as well. Where did you end up buying?
  • moymoy Member Posts: 7
    We have been looking for a replacement commuter car for my wife for months now and had been looking at the Tucson, but thought it was too small. The Sorento seemed to fit the bill and we test drove one and the wife loved it.

After reviewing all the information on Truecar and knowing that there was a $2K in rebates, we went down to negotiate for the 2011 SX. The sticker showed $33.2 and they added some of their standard options such as fabric and paint sealant. They also had Tire Assurance and some advertisement fee which brough the MSRP up to about $35.5K.

We sat down and their drive out was something around $37K. I checked Truecar and it showed $29.9K with $1K rebate, so I knew that their invoice was probably about $28.9K with the additional 1K rebate that Truecar was not showing. I basically told him that I had done a lot of research and was prepared to offer $31.5K OTD and that was final. He asked if he if could get that price, would I buy it? I told him yes and he went off to talk to his manager. He came back 10 minutes later and we had a deal.

We have been driving it most of the day and the wife loves it. I like the newer technology in it as both of our previous cars do not have the level of technology in them that this has. I should note that this purchase was in Houston, TX. It seems that they are very willing to deal with the rebates going away on 11/30. I thought the deal was pretty fair. Good luck to the rest of you.
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2010
    Helped my sister close a deal on a new 2011 Sorento LX with Convienence pack, wheel locks, cargo cover, bumper protector. Lease for 36 months 15k miles per year- Total quoted per month was $319 per month with 0.00 out of pocket (tax included) for top tier credit out the door. Kings Kia Ohio
    I wound up buying at Kia Auto World since I had put the time and effort in dealing with the saleman. They then promise 9.95 oil changes for life if you give all tens when the survey company calls. Also check the Better Business Bureau for Kia Auto World. I checked after I purchased and found they have an "F" rating! I could not find Karp Kia when I checked. As a comparison, the Ford dealership in Hempstead (who I deal with for the Ford I purchased last year) had an A" rating!
  • prasadpprasadp Member Posts: 14
    I just bought a 2011 kia LX AWD with convinence Pkg + cargo cover+cargo net+cargo try for $23151+TT price included $1000 rebate.

Did I get a good deal?
  • kittysorentokittysorento Member Posts: 2
    We are closing the deal on a 2011 Kia Sedona LX with convenience pkg, mud flaps, cargo, cover, cargo net and tray. They offered us $1000 rebate from Kia (expires 1/3/11) plus $1,000 "conquest" rebate, also from Kia. Price including 8% tax & reg. fees is $24,600. What we're wondering about is the corrosion pkg (electronic rust prevention). Salesman said the regular warranty doesn't cover "environmental rust,"from salty roads or acid rain, etc. The pkg also includes lifetime paint warranty. Cost is $685 plus tx. IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY to protect the finish? They make it sound like you are insuring your big investment. We don't want it, but are concerned what may happen to the finish if we don't get it. Please answer ASAP. Have to decide in 2 days! Thanks!
  • ausmcarausmcar Member Posts: 1
    I just bought mine at Glendale Kia from Andy. Great experince and great price. Used Amex/zag referral. If you are in Southern California this is the dealership. A++++
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Almost every additional warranty or service offered in the F&I office is a high mark-up item, and of questionable value...

It sounds good, because they are trained to make it sound that way, and to question your intelligence if you decline...

Go out and look at your current vehicle, then decide if you need it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kittysorentokittysorento Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input, kyfdx. I agree. At first I thought maybe Kia was using inferior paint/metal in their cars that required the extra protection. Now I realize that would compromise the very reputation they're trying to build right now. The corrosion protection pkg. must be a big moneymaker for the dealerships
  • vara411vara411 Member Posts: 2
    Paid $27,700 + TTL on a Snow White Pearl 2011 Sorento SX with no panoramic sunroof or DVD entertainment system. Extremely happy with our purchase so far and feel like we got a good deal.

... Of course, these sorts of numbers are always misleading and folks looking at these discussions should be aware of that. We have a pretty good feeling dealers will give you a good price if you finance because they can toy with the APR rates and skim off the top. Make sure you have your own financing set up when you show up to the dealer. If they can match it or beat it, even better.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Thats a nice deal.
    AFAIK, Panoramic sunroof is the only factory option on SX.
    What rebates did you get with that price ? Did they beat your financing?
    Is it a AWD?
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    SX = AWD and V6
  • nitaboo1971nitaboo1971 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Sorento AWD V6 w/ sunroof for $30,250 which includes freight.
    $27.7K sounds like a good deal. I figured I can use the $1500 loyality + $15000 competitive and $1500 Kia cash back on SX = $4500 total savings. How much did the dealer discount off on the top of these savings?

I have AAA and they offer 2.75% for 36 months. I wonder the dealer can match it or I will have my own financing for the car.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2011
    Salesman said the regular warranty doesn't cover "environmental rust,"from salty roads or acid rain, etc.

I can without a doubt say this is one of the funniest things I've ever heard a car dealer say. By definition, rust is not possible WITHOUT the environment playing a role. I'd like to hear his explanation of what he thinks can cause rust other than elements found in the environment. Rust can't just happen in a vacuum.
  • muft420muft420 Member Posts: 1
    Looking into buying a Kia Sorento SX FWD with Panoramic Sunroof. I will qualify for at least 2 of the current rebates going on now. Hopefully I can bring the price down between 27K-29K. Debating between Financing and Leasing.

- Has anyone gotten good lease deals around NYC?

- In NYC, is it worth paying the extra cost and getting a SX AWD instead o6f FWD? (I have had FWD in my past 2 Minivan).

- Bank fees - Pay it or Fight it?
    - Lease Termination/end of lease charge - Pay it or Fight it?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Acquisition fees and disposition fees..

Generally, charged by the finance company and not the dealer.... negotiation fruitless...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chance14chance14 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO! What dealership gave you this deal and DO You have the name of your sales person. Are you still happy with your purchase.
  • tigerfan87tigerfan87 Member Posts: 3
    I bought at karp Kia in Rockville Center. Bought EX model with sunroof, 3rrd row seat, and cargo net. Have to check what I paid, but I think it was a good deal. Got competive bonus 1500, Kia bonus 1000 plus bought under sticker. Had a better price from James Toyota/Kia in Flemington, NJ but logistics didn't work out. LOVE MY CAR!!!!
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Could we please get a breakdown of the price etc.? Thanks.
  • mikebztmikebzt Member Posts: 44
    4cyl
    $22632.00
    I qualified for $2000 in rebates
    This was in NJ.
    Hope it helps others
  • cabezudcabezud Member Posts: 1
    Which dealer did you end up going with Kirama? I am also looking for a Sorento EX V6 with Premium Package 2.
    I am finding this impossible to find without the Limited Package as well, so I'm thinking I will be forced into buying that as well. Altogether that gives me a dealer invoice of $31,055, and I also qualify for the $1,500 competition bonus. That's still not as good as your price though.
  • kiramakirama Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2011
    Swift Kia in Davis California, they are great to work with (at least their internet sales dept was) http://www.swiftkia.com/
    Got mine at karp Kia in Rockvilee Center, NY. Got it with Prem pkg 2 and think it was @6, 400 after rebates and trade.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I wish I would have waited until now to buy my Sorento. I bought mine last June. It was a V6 with the premium package. Retail was 31,100. Sold to me for $1000 below invoice with a $1000 competitive rebate. Out the door with Tax, Title, etc. I paid $28,883 I think. Now they are selling them $2000 below invoice and the better rebate. I have seen Sorento V6 SX being advertised $6000 off MSRP. I would have bought either an SX or the same thing I have with AWD. Didn't want to pay almost $1900 more for the AWD, so they had to get mine from a dealership in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and driven to Columbus.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • straightdopestraightdope Member Posts: 62
    Can you please list the PRE REBATE Sales Price of your Srrentos, and of course, exactly which model and options (which most already do), and which state the dealer is in. It makes comparison shopping much easier. Jus saying 'I paid 29,544' without stipulating if it includes TT&L and if it was post-rebate is confusing.
  • karchkarch Member Posts: 45
    Can you share with us what dealer you used? I am looking for a lease on a load EX AWD V6, and I have never dealt on a Kia before.

Thank you.
    I'll have to pull out my paperwork to check exact price. I bought from Karp Kia in Rockville Center, NY.