Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    I got my 2011 with leather and NO navigation with 3rd row seat. Got the premium package with the sunroof and it came with the third row seat. I didn't really want it, but wanted the sunroof.
  • apnepapnep Member Posts: 15
    You can definitely get a 4cl. EX with third row and cloth seats, but you cannot get a 3rd row with the AC vents in the third row seat unless you get a V6. The vents in the back was the dealbreaker for me because we'll be using it for trips...and the cloth/leatherette. LOVE.

Why wouldn't you just get an LX?

Ang
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Just wanted to get the half leather half cloth seats, push start button and a couple extras.
    its funny that you can get an LX with third row and camera and fog lights, but the EX to get the camera and fog lights you got to get leather package.
    With the leather package, the car comes out just a thousand cheaper than Honda Pilot, which I rather get unless the price diff is worth getting a Kia.
    I looked at the highlander and the pilot. For the price and the warranty on the powertrain alone, you cannot get all the features that come standard on the kia on a base model of a toyota or honda. Plus, it is SO much easier to get to the third row in the kia. I didn't get navi on mine, but got the backup feature, the push button start and the cloth/leather seats, cargo cover, net, crossbars on the roof rack, and I love it all! :D Plus you get the bluetooth, car tint, and floor mats. My car is a week old today, I have no buyer's remorse and can't wait to test it out on our first road trip. Plus it's so stylish looking.

Good luck!
  • rav4manrav4man Member Posts: 21
    Soon as I pulled out the car lot in this one Kia this truck driver tried to run me off the road, someone gave me the bird. I think it was because people do not like this foriegn car thing in Michigan. I did not like the look of that thing in the middle of the sterring wheel that read, Kia. You know, I suppose they run ok if you ask me but maybe I better buy american. Thas just me though I gotta look at myself in the mirror and like who I am.
    edited September 2011
    Well rav4man, I've never bought an American brand because quite frankly the quality just hasn't ever been there. I suppose now American auto makers are doing better at building something competitive to the asian builders, but if I want something I KNOW is going to last, I'm not buying American. But for what it's worth, Kia, Toyota, and Honda all have plants here in the states where the cars are built. I can look at myself in the mirror just fine knowing my money was spent on something that is going to last. It's called competition. If businesses want to stay in business then their product better be worth the money they expect consumers to pay for it and not expect a friggin' bailout when their crap isn't bought. Are you kidding me with that post? Give me a break.
  • lmuellerlmueller Member Posts: 29
    I am looking at the same vehicle - 2012 V6 AWD SX with sunroof or a 2012 V6 AWD EX with premium and limited packages. I really like the look of the SX with the body color bumpers, but have never been crazy about a black interior.

Did your price of $34,000 include any rebates, or was this after rebates were subtracted? Just checking...

The Costco dealer in this area is willing to sell either vehicle for $700 below invoice before any rebates. Their doc fee is close to $600 - then again most in this area have a similar doc fee.

Any thoughts?
  • nyc_residentnyc_resident Member Posts: 1
    Greetings!

I've started pricing around for a 2012 KIA Sorento LX/auto with the convenience pkg. in the NYC/NH/Conn. area and wanted to see if anyone has purchased this model with these trimmings as well as the final number you ended paying before TTL.

Also, I met with a KIA dealer in NJ where there doc fees for this vehicle was a total of $389. Below is the breakdown of doc fees:

$229 is documentary clerical expense.
    $79 is for the document delivery service.
    $81 is for the administrative fee.

Does anyone know if all of these fees legit? Are they negotiable? I read somewhere in Edmunds that the average doc fees in NJ is approximately $100 and anything above that is considered very high. Any thoughts?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

-Al
  • impliedconsentimpliedconsent Member Posts: 3
    Like the poster before me, all options SX ... out the door price (ttt): 36k which included 10yr/100k BUMPER-BUMPER (not just drivetrain). Seriously, we did 4 months of research. All things being equal, all other CUV manufacturers were well into the 40k+ range with the same options as the SX has.
    What area of the country are you in, what is your tax rate, and which rebates did your OTD price include? Is the 100K bumper-to bumper thing something offered by your particular dealer (and if so, which dealer)? I like the idea of the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Still waffling between the SX and loaded up EX. Unfortunately nobody has them (both V6 AWD) that I can drive back-to-back. If they offered the SX with a tan interior it would be a no-brainer! I even looked at the black/dove interior, but that is VERY scarce - I think the closest one is 500 miles from here.

Can anyone tell me if they can really tell the difference between the way the SX and EX drive/handle? I know they are supposed to have different suspensions, but the salespeople are telling me they can't tell the difference. Hard to know for sure myself if I can never drive them back to back.

Thanks!
  • impliedconsentimpliedconsent Member Posts: 3
    I live in Atlanta. Tax rate is 7% for my county. The rebates were: Customer cash + military discount. I spent 1 month searching for the color (pearl white), SX and AWD. The local Atlanta dealers couldn't find one, so I ended up going about 70miles south where they did find one. Not sure if the B-to-B warranty is dealer only, but it is a Kia warranty and was a special the lender paid for.

I agree with the tan interior, that's the only "wish" I had for the SX. I can't tell you the difference between the drives, but I can say this: the SX model does sit lower than the EX and the SX has a "sport handling" package (stiffer). My wife loves how it drives where she can zip around without issues. Me: I love the turning radius, very small.
    Thanks. We are in ATL also. Test drove a white AWD SX w/sunroof last week, but was hung up on the black interior. It was gone the next day. A dealer located a white AWD SX with the two tone black/dove interior that is being brought in from out of state. Hopefully I will like it when it gets here.

I did finally drive both an EX and SX back to back, and could definitely tell a difference when on an exit ramp cloverleaf from the interstate. The EX had a little more body roll, and the SX seemed to take the curve at speed better. I hope I can live with the black inside and am not kicking myself later on.

We are getting the SX for $700 below invoice plus another $2000 in rebates (customer and competitive). We are getting some tax savings from our trade in. It would have been nice to have that b2b warranty. We'll see what they say when we go in to sit with the finance guy. We're pre-approved at the bank, so maybe he'll throw that one in to get us to finance with him. Can't hurt to ask, right? :)

Thanks for your reply/insight!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Kia Sorento who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bustertrapbustertrap Member Posts: 8
    Received quotes from a Kia dealer in NJ for a Sorento that quoted the MSRP then their discounted price. When I inquired what options were included, I could not match the MSRP and was always a few hundred dollars short of theirs. Found out that a DMG contribution fee was included in their MSRP. What is a DMG contribution fee?
  • bustertrapbustertrap Member Posts: 8
    Let me know if you think this is a good/bad purchase price. Thanks

2012 Sorento, EX, V6, AWD

Options: cargo net, black back bumper protector, auto dimming rearview mirror with homelink, and black cross bars.

MSRP (prior to rebates) = $31,110
    Negotiated Price (prior to rebates) = $28,929 + TTL & doc fee
    Less Rebates = $2,000
    Total = $26,929 + TTL & doc fee
  • shanshan55shanshan55 Member Posts: 1
    great cars for less and they have all the additional equipment that any other brand dose not in standard models

thank you so much i found the perfect car in the price i can afford

strongly recommended
  • alphamomalphamom Member Posts: 4
    Tilitdies would you mind sharing which dealership you were able to negotiate with? I live in vermont I'm in the market for a new car and haven't found a local Kia dealership that would deal with a "female" and give me decent numbers to even consider buying a car from them. A referral would be great! And really appreciated!
  • rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    I got a price from a site called Truecar.com. they will give you the name of dealers in your area that will honor that price. See if there's anything in your area.
    Thanks I will try that. Btw is the java color hard to get? And why don't I see that color on the road. Im very new to the kias but i got burned by my chrysler (lemon) so looking at other companies now.
  • brian08085brian08085 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Long time reader of the forum....now set on purchasing a 2012 Sorento LX Convenience Package w/3rd row. I have a price price from Fred Beans OTD $25,495 (7% New Jersey resident tax).
    Does this seem like a good price?
  • hhh99hhh99 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the exact same car. Here was my price:
    MSRP: 26,400
    Discounted price: 24,500
    Rebates: 1,500
    Net: 23,000 + TTL + $386 doc fee
    I live in DC. This was a better price than a competing dealer quoted me.
  • jnkohjnkoh Member Posts: 37
    I got a great deal at Jack Daniels Kia in Paramus, NJ

Got the car at invoice minus $2000 in rebates, I was previously leasing a rav 4 so I qualified for the competetive invoice.

Paid $225 total out of pocket and have a $475 a month payment including tax.

They took my Rav4 and made the last lease payment. Saved me the lease $300 disposition fee as well.

Currently working on another deal for my friend on an EX AWD with premium.

I tried using that new site truecar.com Seems like dealers in the tri state area are using it to bait and switch buyers. they quote a super low price, basically below dealer cost, sometimes several hundred dollars below including the holdback to make you want to come in. When you get there they don't have the vehicle and try to get you into something else or tell you that the car was just sold.
    Ok Im worried. Not sure if this is a decent deal. As a female I am always intimidated having to purchase a car. This is the deal I have worked out. Should I bite? Or keep negotiating?
    2012 Sorento SX w/ Panoramic Sunroof, Cargo Net, Tow hitch and cross rails (I added the crossrails & tow hitch to my needs)
    32,870 which includes all rebates & incentives.

They did show me the invoice. However I have no idea if it is "the invoice". Invoice shows msrp 37,200 (without my two additions) and invoice shows dealer cost of :confuse: 34,900. Please help me and tell me if I can do better?
    Have you checked Truecar.com or the Costco Auto Program if you are a Costco member? We got a loaded SX V6 AWD at $2700 below invoice ($700 below and then $2000 in rebates).

This deal would have been the same no matter which model we picked ($700 under less any applicable rebates).

Good luck!
  • bgandybgandy Member Posts: 1
    My Wife and I are looking at a 2012 Sorento at a local dealership. It is a 2wd, LX V6 model with 3rd row seat. The car is used with 20k miles. The dealers asking price is $26,500.00. I tried looking up the used car value on Edmunds, but 2012 is not listed for used on the Kia models. I was able to find that the TMV for a new 2012 with the same options is $25,897.00 plus a $1,500 Rebate.

What would be a good starting amount for an offer? Does anyone know what the market value of the used one might be?
  • melli1melli1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '12 sorento awd, 4cylinder, with convince package and tow package, 12600miles and it was priced for 24990. No rebates on a preowned model but I talked them down to 23990. Not sure if that was a great offer but I'm happy. As when the bank tried to look up value the couldn't find anything for a preowned model so they valued it t 29000. Not sure if this helps
    If you recently bought a Hyundai or Kia, a reporter would like to learn what you cross-shopped. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 27, 2012 with details and your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• skneussleskneussle Member Posts: 2
    Back in March, I bought a 2013 Kia Sorento LX with Convenience Package, third row seats, GDI engine, and UVO entertainment.

I looked everywhere in the Southeast. I ended up paying $28,450 plus tax title. At the time, it seemed like a good deal. Now looking at this thread it seems as though I may have grossly overpaid.

Anyone purchase a similar trim that I can better compare it to?
  • tenyearsaftertenyearsafter Member Posts: 1
    kia dealer in lake city ,florida . was in lot on 5/20/12 took notice that every kia on lot had additional charges to each vehicle . first their $499 pre- delivery service charge and than a charge $2,995 for something regarding ? can not recall their exact wordage. but believe i was shocked. the additional paper work was right next to the window sticker and showed the msrp and the 3500 added ,giving the grand total for the car. this is on every car in the lot,all kia models. never in 60 years have i ever seen anything like this. STAY AWAY from kia dealer in lake city,fl.
    A reporter is looking to interview someone who is paying more than 10% interest on a new car loan. Please reply to PR@edmunds.com today, Wednesday, May 23, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I saw the same thing in the Atlanta area. Both Terry Reid Kia (cartersville) and Cobb County Kia (kennesaw) are adding thousands to the MSRP by the way of fluff add ons. Avoid them like the plague.
    Yeah you kind of paid a bit too much there. I just bought a 2013 EX GDI for just $800 more than you paid and I had $4000 negative equity on my trade in. On the bright side, you got a nice vehicle regardless.
  • trav06trav06 Member Posts: 14
    I currently have a 2012 Kia Sorento SX V6/AWD out for an extended test drive. It has 5k miles on it and the salesperson said that was from the Service Manager driving it as a demo. They would still sell it with the same full warranty as a car with no miles on it.

It has the panoramic sun roof, 3rd row, backup camera, navigation, and leather (standard for SX). They are currently quoting me $32,860 (before NJ sales tax), but looking at TrueCar and Consumer Reports I feel like I could get the same car with 0 miles for that price. With the 5k miles on there I would like to be in the $30-31k range.

Anyone who's willing to share their opinion/experience -- is this a good price? When people are talking about prices on here, are they before sales tax?
    That sounds like full price to me. Considering it has 5K miles on it and next year's models are already out, I would think you could snag a way better deal than that.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply apnep. According to Truecar.com, the dealer cost for this exact year/make/model/options is $32,736.

If those numbers are reliable then we're close to dealer cost. I'm guessing 5k miles is worth about $1500 or so, so the price should probably be in the $30-31k range. But *full* price, do you really think I'm that far away from a good price?
    Offer them 30K. If they say no, then offer to split the difference. If they still say no. Decide if you really want the vehicle or not, and walk away...or not. It helps to point out the mileage, the build date and that it really isn't the color you want (even if it is). Also, I assume the price quoted does not include the rebates? If not, then I would walk away for that means they are really offering the vehicle for $1500 more than they quoted.
    edited June 2012
    I think I just got a much better deal. 2013 Kia Sorento SX w/ premium package, no miles on this one, for $31,800 after rebates/incentives, before tax, title, etc.
  • ramprasrampras Member Posts: 1
    Trav06: could you share where you got this ? Seems to be an awesome deal
    Freehold Kia. Other dealers couldn't match it which tells me it must be pretty good.
  • jcabornjcaborn Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Just for anyone wondering I thought I'd share what I ended up paying for my Sorento.

I got an SX FWD with the premium package including most extras: side steps, crossbars,cargo cover and net. Didn't get the interior lighting or tow hitch.

42 month lease, 15K miles a year, at $425 a month with $3000 down. I got them to throw in an Oil Change package that they sell at the dealership that is good for 5 oil changes. This is the first car I've leased and seems like a fair deal to me although I've been trying to find out what other people have been paying for a lease with no luck, so I'm not really sure. I talked them down from around like $512 a month, and it seemed like they really wanted to make the deal since it was the last day of the month. Something about they needed to sell just a couple more cars for some quota, but I figured that was probably just BS, who knows?

All in all I'm happy as I really like the car and am comfortable with my payment, however I'm still curious as to what kind of deals everyone else is getting. If you have leased a Sorento please post the deal you ended up with. It's good for people are still shopping and looking to get a good deal plus like I said I'm just really curious. ;)
    I haven't leased a sorento, but you could think about it this way. The TMV via edmunds is about 32k (including rebates) plus sales tax and title (~2k) for a total of 34k. Take away 3k your down payment and you would be financing 31k at ~ 3%. Payments for that amount if buying would be $686 for 48 months or $557 for 60 months. By leasing, you save $9912, but you don't own the car. If you think the Sorento would be worth more than 10k in 3 1/2 years, the lease deal is not that good a deal. Odds are, it will be worth more than 10k. My 09 Boreggo is still worth 18k (trade in) after 3 1/2 years. And I only paid 29k for that (thanks to 5k in rebates). Something to think about.
    edited June 2012
    I already posted about this, but figured I'd post again after actually purchasing. I bought a 2013 Sorento SX AWD w/ Premium Package for $31,800 after rebates/incentives. After tax/title it came out to ~$34,805, and then they hooked my wife into the extended 10 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty (ugh) so we were about $36,300 out the door. 72 month financing at 3.39%, so we're paying about $435/month.

This is the first car I've ever bought, new or used, so hopefully I did ok.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    It looks like you did good on this. Isn't it like $37.5K MSRP?
    $37.4K according to TrueCar. One thing I should add, for those looking at my monthly numbers, I also put $8k down.

Purchase price was still $31,800 before tax/title/extended warranty though, that's the number I was focused on the whole time.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    This is an amazing deal. May I ask what kind of incentives did you get and how much discount did you get from dealer? I own an 2003 Sorento and I am qualify for the cash back, competitive and loyalty bonus offers. That's about $3000-$3500 from Kia.
    I got two incentives, one $1000 that anyone can get and another $1000 competitive incentive. I was in an old Camry that I owned so I don't think I actually qualified for the competitive, but they threw it in to sweeten the pot.

Two things that might have helped me-- I walked in there with an offer from another dealership in hand, so I got to cut out a lot of the usual bs. Also, I was there on May 31st (end of the month) and they seemed particularly motivated to make one more sale before the end of the month. They closed at 9pm that day and I was getting calls right up until 9pm with additional price drops.
  • jr2013jr2013 Member Posts: 2
    I think I got a solid, good deal. LX with convenience pkg. plus remote start, cargo tray. $25500 before tax/title, etc. Other dealers wouldn't match deal, got fair value on my trade-in, and $1500 incentives. Overall good experience and I really like the car.
    Which engine? AWD, 2WD? 2012, 2013?
  • jr2013jr2013 Member Posts: 2
    It's the 4cyl. GDI, which was why I liked the 2013 convenience package- it included that, plus heated seats, backup camera and UVO. Getting the better gas mileage was only way I would consider a bigger car like this. I traded a Subaru that was only getting around 20 mpg and I really wanted an improvement over that. Also, should've said it's the 2WD and does NOT have third row. With my own calculation after fill-up, I got 29 mpg on my first long road trip, very pleased.
  • lawyerbilllawyerbill Member Posts: 2
    I have been eye balling the 2013 Sorento SX Model FWD for 3 months. Have spoken to about 9 dealerships to get the best deal possible. It appears that the vehicle selling price is as follows: MSRP $36,500; "selling price around" $34,400 and with the current incentives of $2,000, actual price is about $32,400. I have seen in other postings that someone was able to get $31,800 which seems like a great deal! I want to lease it for 3 years / 15,000 miles with minimum drive offs. Any ideas as to what I can do to figure out "money factor" and "residuals" to estimate what my monthly should be? Thanks!