Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrsdowfiremrsdowfire Member Posts: 6
    We just brought home this exact car yesterday and best price I got with rebates and dealership discount was $33415.00. I didn't but as I'm taking that price to other dealerships before month end. Perhaps the dealership will call me back before the end of June and sweeten the deal to get us to buy?

This vehicle was the SX AWD with premium package, tow hitch, wheel locks, interior lighting pkg, cargo net and cargo cover....MSRP $38415.00.

I'd really like to go in and offer the price you got of $31800 at the end of June and see if they take it.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Please keep us posted when you get the same good deal. I want to if the end of the month practice is working.
  • blitzoidblitzoid Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping for the EX V6AWD w/premium/limited package in Northern NJ. I find lots of LX on dealer lots but very little EX or SX. For EX I received a number quotes via email between $31,995 - $33,500. For SX w/ premium package I was quoted $34,250 (MSRP $37,865). Given low inventory of EX in NJ, may have to turn my attention to Santa Fe or other similar vehicle. Dealers offer to locate the EX but not without a deposit.
  • nmorgannmorgan Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know whether the "Customer Cash" can be combined with the "Bonus Cash"? The first is standalone and the second is tied to financing, but they are the same amount. It seems like Bonus cash is an incentive to get people to use the captive financing, so it seems it should stack. Also, if they can't be stacked, why have two different names for the same incentive and tie one to financing? Why not just say $1,500 and indicate that it's compatible with financing?

Two dealers have given opposite answers, and I suspect that neither really knows or is trustworthy on the issue. Any direct experience on this (with any KIA vehicle really)?
  • bgv1bgv1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2013 Sorento EX AWD 4-Cyl GDI in Indiana for $26,000 (not including tag/tax). The MSRP sticker was $29,808 and I qualified for $1,500 in incentives. This price also included minor accessories like the all-weather mats and mud guards. I got a great deal on my trade-in (was actually given higher than what I had estimated and was shooting for based on KBB), so ended up financing $19.5K (not including tag/tax) @ 2.89% APR for 72 mos. Based on figures from sites like TrueCar.com, I am happy with this deal.
  • bgv1bgv1 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure this answers your question, but per the Kia website on the Cash Back offer: "Cash back offer when you purchase a new car only and may not be combined with special Low APR offer....Not all incentive programs are compatible".

Maybe ask to see if you qualify for the $500 competitive bonus which I believe can be combined with either the Low APR bonus offer or Cash Back offer.
  • harvittharvitt Member Posts: 9
    The cost after incentives (can't remember exactly what they were, one was for having a competing car; mine's a Subaru Forester) and before taxes and destination fees was $30,995.

(By contrast, Edmunds lists the invoice price to be $31,360 for the SX AWD and $2,860 for the premium package for a total of $34,220 and TMV of $34,844).

But it wasn't easy!
    I went in yesterday and was thinking more of getting a 4 cyl EX AWD, but my wife fell in love with the V6 SX AWD with two-toned leather seats, and the salesman Kevin said he would sell it to me for $30,995. But when i came back today, I had to deal with another salesperson who tried to tell me that that price was if i met *all* incentives. But, I'm 47 yrs old and the salesman from yesterday clearly did not think i was a graduating student or in the military. So, I insisted on that price and we went back and forth forever and after almost walking out a couple of times, the salesman from the first day, Kevin, magically reappeared and honored the price.
    There was also a lot of haggling over the credit I was to get for my trade in, a 2003 Subaru Forester with 55,000 miles. Their first offer was $3000, I told them I wanted $8000, and i got them to go up to $6000. Maybe I could've gotten more selling it on craigslist but i really dreaded going through that process..
    They gave me a 2.9% loan that i can pay off without penalty after the first 3 payments.
    I was there for 4 hours! (I think they try keeping you there as long as they can to wear you down.. Good thing I had a good book to read whenever he stepped out to check on something for long stretches of time, and that I'm a stubborn SOB, lol..)
    This was in Fremont, CA. I also talked to dealers on the phone in nearby towns of Richmond and Vallejo and from what i can tell, I got a pretty good deal. Despite all the haggling with the other salesman, I went through far worse when buying the Subaru, and I would say that it's a good place to buy. I thought it was cool that after the deal was done, they still spent quite a while with me, teaching me how to use the phone/navigation/music system (which is pretty amazing!). Ask for Kevin Le.
    I'm a cheap-[non-permissible content removed], this is by far the most expensive and luxury car I've ever owned! I'm posting here to let those considering buying the same thing have a reference point for what they should aim for.. Kudos to you if you do better!
    Forgot to say... they also threw in wheel locks that i didn't ask for, but I couldn't get them to throw in the roof rack crossbars - i had to buy that, which was another $200. I think it might be standard to do so, but i was still pleasantly surprised that they filled up the gas tank for me.
  • westeditorwesteditor Member Posts: 1
    I am working with Kia in Denver and the msrp is $39,105 and they have offered $32,988 for the 2013 Sorento SX Model FWD with premium package. heated steering wheel, air-cooled seats, etc. They keep all incentives and $500 for financing 3.9%.
  • trav06trav06 Member Posts: 14
    I think you can do better. I got the 2013 Sorento SX AWD with premium package for $31,850 before tax/title, and got 3.39% financing for 72 months. Someone a couple posts a go got an even better deal than mine, I think.

Take that offer to another Kia dealer and get them to beat it.
  • dbuilderdbuilder Member Posts: 5
    I am qualified for $2,500 rebates and I've got two price deals from Garden Grove Kia in CA.

13 EX-V6 base at $ 27,603 (OTD)
    13 EX-V6 + Premium at $ 30,841 (OTD)

Based on my own research from this forum, these offers looks little expensive than others.
    What do you think?
    Please advise...
    Dbuilder, it looks like they want you to pay just about the same for a 2013 EX-V6 as I did for the 2013 AWD SX V6 ($30,995, see about 5 posts up).. Either i got a very good deal or you should be able to get it for less.
    But at some point, the returns for getting down to the lowest possible dollar aren't worth the time and aggravation of getting there.. In other words, how much longer are you willing you to go back and forth in order to save a couple of hundred dollars? My advice is to do as much as you can from home, either phone or internet, before you go in. In my case, however, i was trading in a car, and what they were giving me for that became part of the deal, and i couldn't do that over the phone (i needed to bring the car in for them to check it out and give me a price)..
    Good luck! So far, we really like our Sorento, but I'm still not used to its size, because we traded in an '03 subaru forester, and our other car is a prius...
  • richieu11richieu11 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, this may be a bit lengthy but if it helps someone than bonus to you! I am in Chicago IL, I went to 4 total dealerships, I had a friend that worked at one of them. Obviously, he gave me the best price. Had all the standard features of the EX, has the uvo system with rear camera display, bluetooth, power seats with heated front seats, leather trim, infinity surround sound audio system, 3rd row seat, panoramic sunroof, rear bumper protector, cargo net, wheel locks, etc. MSRP had a $800 freight charge bringing the total MSRP to $34,015.

After checking on 4 different KIA dealerships, my buddy still had the best price beat out there by $600. I paid $28,700 plus ttl. I thought I did pretty well. Love this truck, love the way it looks, the way it drives, the sunroof is sweet, 3rd row seat is not bad, has enough toys to make most anyone happy and the EX was plenty fine for me as the SX was about $4,500 more on the MSRP and woulda threw me back even more financially.

so $28,700
    long story short. If you are in Chicago area, go to Grossinger Kia in Lincolnwood and ask for Louie Vine. Tell him the birdman sent ya! :)
  • stillerfanstillerfan Member Posts: 1
    Harvitt, congrats - think that's a great deal. Also bought a 2013 Sorento SX AWD (V6) with premium package, cargo net, cargo cover and wheel locks at end of July. Sticker on mine was $37,625; Edmunds listed invoice at $35,200; dealer invoice was $35,552 (with ad fee built in). Managed to get it for $31,580 with $1,000 competitor bonus and $1,000 customer cash. Could have got another $500 off if I took their financing but 2.9% they were offering (and wouldn't negotiate off of) was more than 1.79% I had in hand. Over term of the loan would have saved $100 on total price of the car had I taken their 2.9% but the $10/month more on the payment wasn't worth it to me, especially since I knew I qualified for a better rate than they were offering and they'd make about $1,000 on the interest paid. Still don't understand why they wouldn't deal on the interest rate - thought maybe I pissed them off too much but maybe they just made enough money and wanted to close it. Either way I'm happy since two dealers wouldn't go below $32,500 and a third dropped out at $31,920.

To those looking for a deal in Aug 2013, don't think $1,000 competitor bonus, $1,000 customer cash and $500 financing incentives are available anymore. I was checking back to see if I should have waited but seems incentives are geared toward leasing this month, at least from what I can see. Still, think you should be able to get the same car for $33,580 max - probably less - got to think there's "hidden" incentives if leasing incentives are the only advertised incentive out there. Good luck - my suggestion would be to do everything by email if you can. Only had to spend 20 minutes at the dealership to sign the papers. I never negotiate there, takes too much time and feel it limits my ability to shop their quotes and research their "misstatements".
  • jjfuchjjfuch Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    2013-LX with convenience package, 3rd row seats, remote start, cargo net, wheel locks. $23400 before tax/title after rebates. Looked at larger SUV's (Explorer, Pilot and Acadia) and really liked the better mileage and having the additional seating though limited to smaller passengers is what sold it. The larger SUV's comparably equipped were not even close on price. I think I got a very good deal.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I test drove a SX AWD with Premium package over the weekend. It was a nice ride. We didn't talk about the pricing. The sticker price is like in the $37K (with no cross bars) and the sale man quoted (not an exact quote) for $33K.

I am qualify for the $1500 cash back, $1500 loyal and $1500 competitive bonus on SX model. This looks like he was quoted with the Kia incentives but with no dealer discount. If you paid $31.8K, it would be a great price.
  • kelleydkelleyd Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Went to look Saturday night at an online advertised special. MSRP 27,xxx on sale for 23,000. It is a 2012 LX V6 with third row. So I went in to talk and was handed the paper showing 27,000-4,000 making it 23,000 but then added on for nitrogen, wheel locks, window etching...something else maybe and price was 26,xxx. So I said I was planning on being 25,000 out the door. He said impossible with taxes and tags we are at 25,500 blah blah.

Ended up buying it at $25,300 out the door. purchase price is listed at $23,000. Used their 2.99 financing for 6 yrs. Its a Black V6 third row. Has the chrome door handles and the side steps run the length of the car are in chrome with black circles(?) on them. Came with all floor mats and a cargo net. Think thats it. Overall I am happy with it. Looking to add maybe the dvd players in the headrests, shopping to see what the best options are for that. Would like to get the rubber cargo mats too.
  • sorentostevesorentosteve Member Posts: 1
    Maybe this will help someone out. I purchased a 2013 EX FWD 4cyl, it had no packages, with the only options being cargo cover, cargo net and rearview mirror. Sticker was 28275.00. I got it for 24613.00 with owner loyalty. I think that I did pretty decent. The base EX is a tough find around here. If I would have bought a LX with conv package, I likely would have got a bigger discount. This is my second Sorento with the first being a base LX 4cyl. I love the vehicle, hence purchasing a second one. The resale and trade in values have been excellent on the two Kia's that I have traded in. Hope this helps someone out.
  • vmunsingwearvmunsingwear Member Posts: 1
    In case it helps someone else, I live in upstate NY and just made the following deal on a 2013 Sorento (EX V6 AWD w/ Premium Pkg):

MSRP = $34,095 (w/ cargo cover and cargo net)
    Sale Price = $31,435
    Rebates/Incentives = $3000 ($1000 standard rebate + $1500 competitive bonus + $500 Kia financing)

Total Price (before taxes and fees) = $28,435

Thought it was a pretty good deal after negotiating with 4 or 5 different dealers. Curious to know whether others agree?
  • abcd007abcd007 Member Posts: 3
    Brought from Fairfax Kia in Va early August Model 73222:
    LX FWD GDI convenience package 3rd row seat, mats, net, cargo cover

MSRP=26,925, processing fee $499, dealer prep=$275

Rebates=$1750 (dealer incentive+competitive vehicle )

out the door w/o tax title/tags=$23,230

Other dealers couldnt match b/c Fairfax is the volume leader and get back $ for sales satisfaction. Most of them and in NYC/NJ prices were $400-800 higher. Dealer also gives free tire replacement and lifetime oil/filter changes (every 4,000 miles). Their most sold model is the SX.

Post sales note: first 500 miles mpg computer never went above 19mpg, at 2000 miles, its now 23 combined. Others note they never got anywhere near the 32 mpg highway too.
  • davidgaodavidgao Member Posts: 1
    i got the price 31,495 from dealer, the MSRP is 36,195. How is this price?
  • mviggianomviggiano Member Posts: 1
    We got a 2013 Sorento LX with convenience package, 3rd row, cargo cover, cargo net and mats for $24,288 (not including tax & title) on 5 Sep in Omaha, NE. The best of luck to future buyers!
  • janeb64janeb64 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a deal where I'm at $27,400 not incl t & t. $3000 rebate and he threw in the $500 even tho' I will be financing 1/3 of price using 1.9% financing... Hersons, Rockville MD.
  • hosedhosed Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Sorento LX 4 cyl, AWD w/3rd row for 26,514 (sticker 27,102) less 1500 finance rebate, 750 competitive rebate. I went in and didnt haggle because a wholesaler for KIA I know made a call for me to get the most discount available, im thinking I got hosed after reading this thread. I usually go in with both barrels loaded and all my homework done to haggle and get the best price. Any thoughts? I bought North of Boston Ma
  • lawyerbill1968lawyerbill1968 Member Posts: 1
    I posted a thread back in June prior to purchasing this model. The out the door price was $28700. This car does not have moonroof (which they told me didn't exist in production until I landed one!) Other than that, the car had everything else! I got the beautiful interior known as the DOVE (black/grey combo) After owning a BMW X5, I couldn't be happier with my KIA!

Best part of it is that ....

I am leasing the car for 3 years , 15,000 miles / year for $424 (including tax)/month. I negotiated with 9 different dealership and finally figured out what the car sold for, and then got lucky when the finance guy lower my payments "accidentally" by another $33/month = $1200 more savings. I couldn't have signed the agreement fast enough!!!
  • richieu11richieu11 Member Posts: 2
    I bought the same exact car, same msrp and all. I paid 28,700 before ttl. AND I bought it from a friend of mine who worked at a kia dealer. So yeah, you got a great deal. Now I wanna go smack my buddy upside the head, lol...
    Just pick up my 2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 FWD, no option @ $27,931 TTL ($25,329 car price).
    I had to wait for more than 2 months to have this no option model.
    FYI, I am in Anaheim, California.
  • nick_funnick_fun Member Posts: 6
    Hi I am planning to purchase LX V6 in next few days, and would appreciate if anyone could point what price they paid for same trim.

thanks
    Nick
    I had quote for Sorento LX V6 + Conv. Pkg. was just $500 less than EX V6 + no pkg. I remember it was around ~$24,800.
    does that include the rebates?

I am getting a quote of Sorento LX V6 with no add ons for 24,800 with no rebates included.

if it does not include the rebate you got a great quote. Which state are you in and which dealer was it from?

Thanks for the information.
  • skneussleskneussle Member Posts: 2
    There is a reason to be. I am an airline pilot and literally shopped most of the country for the best deal on a Sorento this past March. Many of these prices posted on the thread are too good to be true, so I decided to look into it further and this is what I found out.

First of all, quotes don't mean anything. What you are interested in is the out the door price after the purchaser has signed the dotted line.

Many people are reporting a lower out the door price when the price has been adjusted due to their higher interest rate and payment schedule.

The dealer will lower the price for customers financing the vehicle for higher payments. People with bad credit or low credit scores are going to pay higher interest rates. A third party finance company will pay the dealer incentives for signing these customers up to compensate for price adjustments made to seal the deal.

Typically, you will see people with the worse credit reporting the lowest prices for the vehicle. However, they are making up for it with their higher payments and interest rates and the dealer is being compensated by the financing company.

Bottom line, don't rely on the prices posted on this thread.

Do your own homework and be sure to ask about dealer's fees and delivery fees from the start. These vary dealer to dealer and can greatly effect the price. Dealers always give you a good "quote" to get you to the table. Once the ink is about to hit the paper, it is amazing to see how things can change. Trust me! I started in AL and then chased "better quotes" to Maine, California and ended up in GA.

Good luck!
    thanks for sharing your experience!
  • 78mikec7878mikec78 Member Posts: 2
    @lawyerbill1968 = What was the residual value of the car after the 3 years? It looks like you got a smoking deal on this and we are trying to negotiate on one right now. I was trying to find your post in June though I couldn't. Any more details on this would be very helpful!!!

Thanks!
  • edl2edl2 Member Posts: 35
    Just picked up my Sorento yesterday. All I can say is shop shop and shop some more. The prices that I was quoted varied so widely it was ridiculous. I either went to or contacted 6 different dealerships. Here are the details on the Sorento that I purchased.

2013 EX AWD 6 Cylinder with the premium package 2. Also included was the rear bumper protector, black cross bar and the cargo net. Bottom line total MSRP including destination charges was 34,180.00

Incentives:
    I qualified for all incentives and in order to get some of the financing incentive I financed 11,500 at 1.9% for 36 mths. This got me a 500.00 finance rebate. I will pay the financed amount after I make 3 payments

Bottom line on an MSRP of 34,180.00 my final cost was 28,330 plus taxes and tags . I felt this was a very fair deal after all the others dealerships I had been give quotes from. Cant emphasize enough do your homework and shop you will save a lot of money. Also be aware of some dealer tricks that I ran into. A couple of dealers had a separate MSRP over and above the manufacturers MSRP. They would add a few minor things on their own like side steps ..free inspections for 5 years..1st free oil change.....and charge up to 4,000 additional. Good luck to all
  • 78mikec7878mikec78 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't heard or seen a "Premium Package 2"?? I even went to the Kia website and don't know what that is either. Besides the regular premium package, what else came with it besides the "rear bumper protector, black cross bar and the cargo net".

Also what state are you in (that has helped me in the past negotiate prices).

I am trying to work some deals also and everything helps!

Thanks!
    On the MSRP it shows as Premium package 2 but it is the only premium package available on this model. Package has
    Surround sound audio system
    heated front seats
    power passenger seat
    50/50 third row
    auto dimming mirror
    panoramic sunroof
    First Aid Kit

this one also came with Rear bumper protector
    cross bars
    cargo net

Everything else is standard on the EX model that we wanted

Bought it in the Dark Cherry with the Beige/Black interior looks real sharp

eastern part of Pa.......Good luck glad to help out if any other questions!!
  • abcd007abcd007 Member Posts: 3
    what incentives exactly? kia loyalty, competitive car pwnet, recent college grad, military?
    price has kia delivery charge ($600) and dealer prep ($200) built in?

my delership has lifetime oil and filter, tire replacement free, so long as you bring it in to them.
    I got the competetive car rebate ...military..Kia rebate and 500.00 financing rebate because I financed 11.5k for 36mths at 1.9%over ..total rebates were 3,000 which is the max $$ amount you can get...price included the 800.00 dealer destination and prep..my bottom line price was 28,300 plus tax and tags on MSRP sticker of 34,180
    All dealerships have something different. Mine extended powertram warranty to 10 yrs 200k miles..free lifetime inspections.....free first oil change
  • blutopblutop Member Posts: 7
    Hi can you tell me which dealership in Anaheim? I'm in Los Angeles, and trying to buy in the next month. I'm looking for the base EX in white as well. Also, did you purchase, finance or lease, and if you leased, could you share the residual on your vehicle? I'm leaning toward leasing.... thanks!
    It was from Glendale Kia, but I bought this car through a broker.
    I purchased it, not a lease.
    FYI, Base EX model is very rare. I had to wait more than 2 months to get this car and it was very lucky.
    I hope it helps you a little.
  • side_show_tomside_show_tom Member Posts: 22
    I just bought my Sorento in August. 2013 SX with Premium package, AWD. Got the best price from KIA of Sherman Oaks. It is part of the Casa group that owns Casa de Cadillac. I got nothing but BS from KIA of downtown LA. Got a great quote from KIA of Ventura too. Also tried KIA of Santa Ana. Sherman Oaks had the best deal overall. Good luck, love my car!
  • trav06trav06 Member Posts: 14
    Price paid?
  • hpt84hpt84 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    2013 Kia LX, I4, no roof rack, cargo cover, very basic. 18500 out the door with trade in at 2.99% financing. I think the final trade in value was 4500, so 23000 out the door with no trade in. Dealership originally valued my trade in at 3500. I went to dealership A and they offered 21000 otd. A week later, I went to dealership B and haggled them to 20,000 otd and I walk out the dealership. The next day, I called dealership A and told them to beat the price and they offer 19000 otd. Call back dealership B on the same day and got them to offer 18500 otd. Take your time and go back and front between dealership to get the best price. An extra day save me 1500. Remember that whenever you walk out you lose nothing. They will stand by their last offer. Each time I walk out the sale manager stop me and offer a better deal.

Edit: original MSRP around 26,000
    thanks for the info dbuilder (and also, side show tom). dbuilder, did you use Authority Auto or another broker? I am using Authority Auto but they can only get me into a Base EX (not the V6) for 27,150 out the door - this only has the extra option of homelink rear view by the way.

They say I can't get lower... just wondering your opinion and if you liked your broker experience. thanks!
    That doesnt sound like a good deal...I got the EX with the V6 and AWD including the premium package for 28,300 in PA
    It sounds very similar deal you got.
    My sorento is also base EX v6 plus trunk net, trunk cover(?) and homelink with compass.
    I remember there was only $600 difference between GDI-4 and v6 model.
    Considering What I paid ($28,500 OTD), you've got as good as mine.

By the way, v6 mpg is not as good as shown on the report.
    I am a mild driver and I reads around 18 mpg city.
  • nybrokernybroker Member Posts: 25
    I was quoted EX V6 FWD Premium Pkg for 26500 and considering purchase
    Thanks dbuilder,
    I also have a $1000 lease rebate on top of that, and of course, we here in California have to deal with an extra $800 as part of our price quote due to emissions here that are different than other states (and different sales tax) so perhaps that's the difference between the prices we got and the other couple of respondents here.

I knew I'd get better gas mileage with the V4, and I'm not hauling too much, so yeah... I heard that it wasn't as good as reported (but then again, when are they!) - there was someplace in the forums that I read you need to let them "break-in" before you start seeing the higher mpg, so maybe there's a little light at the end of that tunnel?

Thanks again!
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    What do you say? The list price is approx. $23K. What would be a good price to be considered a a good deal? I have a 2003 Sorento so I assume I can get a loyalty discount? May be $19K? Thank you ahead for your responses.
    Is it a 2012 or 2013 LX??