Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    2012, or may be 2011 if they still have 2011 inventory and try to clear them.
  • side_show_tomside_show_tom Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    With Premium Package, Cargo Cover, Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, $31,500.
  • edl2edl2 Member Posts: 35
    What rebates did you get? Sounds like they ripped you off I am afraid......I bought the 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD with Premium package which included crossbar on roof rack no trade for $28,300.....I qualified for $3,000 in rebates...MSRP was 34, 200
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    My dealer quoted $28,900 (with incentives) for the exact same trim and package. From what I read here, $28,300 is the lowest with all the incentives.

Question. The Premium Package doesn't have power folding outside mirrors and air-cooled driver seat like the Limited Package, right?
    That is correct has manual folding mirrors....they offer 2 distinct packages premium and limited.....If you are a member of COSTCO work through their website it will refer you to a dealer thats affiliated with Costco will save you some additional $$$
    The dealer didn't include the crossbar which makes your price even attractive to me. Do you mind if I ask what kind of incentive did you use? I am not sure if I can combine the $1500 cash back, $1250 Owner Loyalty and $1250 Competitive Bonus toward the purchase. This dealer said no and I can only choose either one. Really?
  • side_show_tomside_show_tom Member Posts: 22
    I got the SX, not the EX. MSRP was $37,625. The deal is about equal considering the 2 different cars, and the SX comes with more standard equipment. I went through COSTCO, which gives you dealer invoice before incentives and hold backs.
    Sure..I got the 500.00 military....one dealer I went to said you had to currently be in military which is not true. I was discharged in 1978...Got competitor rebate..........got financing rebate( had to finance at least 11k which I did for 36mths at 1.9%) and cash back..my total rebates were 3000.00..This was in SEPT so dont know if rebates changed since but they look the same to me...I can tell you that I really shopped hard and compared prices . Went back and forth for weeks and found the final offers from dealers varied by as much as 1500.00 . The dealership that I wanted to buy from which was 2 miles from my home gave me 4 final offers and was still 375.00 more then the amount I bought car for. Just to add I also got dealer to give me a $330.00 service/parts credit as a bonus which I recently used to by the side steps at the invoice price of 350.00( not installed). So for 28,300 I got the EX AWD 6Cyl with premium package...crossbars and side steps
    I asked the dealer whether I can combine the $1250 Owner Loyalty (currently own a Kia Sorento) and the $1250 Competitive Bonus (also own an old Lexus RX). He said I can only choose either one but I can't find that on Kia site.

Currently, Kia runs the 0.9% APR plus $1000 bonus cash or $1500 cash back on all trims.
    Dealer is correct you cannot combine those 2. One of the dealerships that I went to showed me the actually Kia incentive brochure and what combinations that you can use. Regarding the 0.9% if you use that rate you cant get the 500.00 finance rebate...by using the 1.9% rate you can get 500.00 finance rebate...work the numbers it depends on how much you finance and for how long to determine if its worth the 1% difference. If you do not plan on financing then just finance for 3 months you get the rebate and can pay it off after the 3 months.
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    Ed,
    Can you tell me where you are located. That sounds like a great deal.
    Sure..Eastern Pa.
    Thanks. I'm in central NJ so hopefully I can get a similar deal. I went to a dealership today just to see what the different trim levels looked like in person. I also looked at the Ford Escape (2013 model is much nicer than earlier models) and Subaru Outbacks. I really liked the Sorento the most.

Next time I will get a test drive of all 3. I want to make sure I get an enginne with enough juice. If I was able to get a manual, the Subie would be right up there with the Sorento, but I know 2 people that have the auto version of the base model and it seems to be underpowered. My wife and daughter don't want/can't drive a manual:(
    We did lots of shopping and also drove the outback but wanted the 3rd row for the few times we have all grandchildren in car. The V6 has tons of power in fact takes a little getting used to accelerates quickly . Big difference in power between the 4cyl and the 6cyl. Have had it over a month now and extremely happy with all aspects of the Sorento. If you are a member of Costco use their auto service to find the local Kia dealer for you saves few hundred dollars. Good luck . Shop and compare and go in with a price you want to spend and be patient. The thing we had going for us was fact we didnt have an urgency to buy and I had time to shop and compare
  • metzie25metzie25 Member Posts: 1
    I am preparing to trade in a 2012 Forte Koup and upgrade to a 2013 Sorento EX base. I have negative equity on the Koup, but will get 0.9% APR for 72 months on the Sorento. Monthly payments at $399 with $1k down from my pocket, but will also get $500 loyalty bonus. Any thoughts?
    Tough to tell on quality of deal without knowing how much negative equity there is on the Forte( what do you owe and what is he giving you as a trade in)? The MSRP on the base EX 2wd 4 cylinder should be 26950..your paying 29728 with the down payment and the 72 payments of 399. On a 399 payment for 72 mths at 0.9 Interest rate that means he is charging you 28,000 for the car that has an MSRP of 26950. If he is applying your 500 rebate to the price then he is charging you 28,500 for the car. that lists at 26950. Work the numbers and shop around. Dealers are great at asking you what you can afford and if you told him 399 a month chances are its not a good deal
  • megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    I know I won't get a response before I make this deal but my current deal is the SX AWD Premium Package for $32,200. My target number was the $31,800 that I saw a few folks on this blog get so I asked them to through in side steps that cost about $500. We were going to purchase those anyway. So I basically got this for $31,700. I believe they gave me a pretty good deal on my trade in which is a 2007 GMC Acadia SLE with 68,000 miles. KBB has at $14,483 in very good condition. My Acadia has driver door damage estimated at about $700.00 and a massively cracked windshield and they offered me (after much negotiation) $14,500. I did research with my credit union on % rates. The credit union offered me 1.99% but I was surprised when the dealer offered 0.9% for 60 mos or 1.9% for 72 mos. So I obviously will go with the dealer financing. Any thoughts on where I may have done better somewhere in this deal? I live in Southwest PA.
    Are you a Costco member or ex military??...If so you can get a $500.00 military discount and also about $400-500 Costco discount
    PS....If you are doing the financing through KIA and taking the 1.9% rate then you are entitled to the KIA financing rebate also..make sure they gave that to you..GOOD LUCK
    I am ex military but they said I couldn't use that discount because of some of the other discounts I am using.... one is a competitor discount not sure bout some of the others. We did most negotiating over the phone after I left the dealer so I don't know how they came down to the final offer. I am not sure what Cosco is so I will google it. Thanks for the quick response.
    I was planning on going with the 60 mos. .9%... Thanks again.
    Just FYI...you are absolutely qualified for the military discount.....one discount has nothing to do with the other..I got military discount..financing discount and competitor discount when I bought my EX....I had dealers tell me I wasnt qualified because I wasnt active military which again wasnt true...thats 500.00 that they are putting in their pocket and not yours......Costco is one of those bulk retailers you may have Sams Club by you same thing.....Go get that military discount you served our country you deserve it!!Good Luck
    I currently an 03 Kia Sorento and an older Lexus RX. I have been told by the dealer that I can only take one offer, either the Loyalty or Competitive bonus, in addition to the bonus cash.

By the way, the best quote that I got for a 2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 with Premium Package is $28.5K after rebates.
    Dealer is correct its one or the other on those 2 bonuses...you can also get the military discount and the financing discount. 28,500 is a good deal...I paid 28,300 but also got Costco discount. Good luck
    I can't thank you enough because I walked in there on Friday and demanded the military discount and told them they shouldn't use the military to promote their product if they can't deliver on the discount. I got the discount and this fully loaded SX Sorento w/ AWD for about $31,300. And I got way over KBB on my trade in so I am very happy with the deal. Once again, thanks so much.
    Awesome....$900.00 less then what last offer was and $500.00 less then your target price...Real happy for you. It is amazing what salesmen and sales manager will try . Better that $900.00 in your pocket then theirs. Congratulations and enjoy your new car
    Well actually $500 less than last offer... final price will be about $31,750 plus they are installing sides steps which are $400 to $500 ( I count that as cash cause I was gonna purchase those anyway). I just have to wait for it to be delivered. The only thing I am dissappointed about is that the dealer said there are no interior colors on the SX's other than black even though the brochure says it could also come in Black/Dove. They checked in several surrounding states and could not find any. They said they even checked for vehicles with black/dove on Sorentos with different exterior colors than what we wanted (which is white) but could not find any.
    Thats too bad. We ran into a similar problem. My wife wanted the EX V6 premium package AWD with Beige interior and Dark Cherry exterior. There were none to be found on the east coast with that color combination and that was confirmed by many dealers and the research that I did myself. Tried to get us to take another color but fortunately I was in no hurry. Dealer did a great job located one on assembly line that was to be shipped elsewhere. Took about 3 weeks but got what we wanted. Glad we waited. Kia's manufacturing process causes some issues with availability but keeps costs down.
  • pet2012pet2012 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for 2013 KIA Sorento EX V6 AWD with premium pkg 2 at $29282 + tax and title/tag in PA/NJ area, MSRP is $ 29650 + 3400, KIA cash back is $1500 and competitive bonus is $1250. Is it possible that I can get OTD (out of door) at ~ $30,000? Anyone has the recent purchase experience?
    Little confused by your numbers. I bought the exact same vehicle EX V6 AWD premium package 2....MSRP was 34,295( had a couple of other things like a crossbar...floor mats)...my walk out price was 28,300 after all rebates and dealer discounts and negotiating....What is the actual sticker MSRP on the window and what is the final walk out price they are giving you??..have you been in military..are you doing any fiinancing with KIA...there are additional rebates for both of those??
  • pet2012pet2012 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the good information.

In my quote, $29282 already included all bonus rebate and bonus. This looks like to be higher almost 1000 than your $28300.
  • albradalbrad Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    DEC. 2012 BOUGHT A 2013 SORENTO LX. V6. AWD. CONVIENCE AND 3 ROW SEAT. MSRP 29,700. - BEST QUOTE WITH ALL REBATES INCLUDED WAS FOR 25,200. EVERYTHING OTD INCLUDING TITLE. TAX. PLATE. FLOOR MATS. ROOF RAILS ENDED UP BEING 5000 DOWN AND 383 mo. FOR 60 mo. I WENT TO INTERNET FOR 6 QUOTES TESTED 4 AND HAD 3 OF 4 DEALERS TURN DOWN MY BEST OFFER IN PERSON WITH CHECKBOOK IN HAND. I STILL THINK I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER BUT COLOR AND OPTIONS WERE CORRECT AND I WAS JUST TIRED OF SHOPPING. I ALSO USED KIA FINANCING. I TRULY BELIEVE ALMOST EVERYONE PAYS WITHIN $500 SAME PRICE. ALBRAD
    Good deal but you would be very surprised at the range in prices that some people pay..I would venture to say the variance on this car is at least 2k. If you research..shop and do your homework and the dealers realize it then yes should be within 500.00. But if you dont , and I saw it happen in dealers that I was in, look out. In most dealerships the salesman and dealers goal is to get the highest price they think they can get for a vehicle. You have to know what rebates you qualify for and the MSRP..dealer invoice to negotiate intelligently. I had dealers tell me I didnt qualify for military discount because I wasnt active military. I got a hold of the KIA rebate book thats given to the dealers and found out that wasnt true. Active and honorably discharged vets qualified. Saved me 500.00. Enjoy your Sorento!!
  • picantepicante Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,

I never thought I'd buy anything but a Nisson, but when my wife decided to replace her 1999 Infiniti I30 with a new crossover, we both decided the 2013 Sorento drove better than the 2013 Murano. The warranty's also better, and the interior finish and features of the EX hold up well in comparison.

We must have V6 and AWD. We do NOT want third row seats (wasted space and money, plus extra weight), so we've found a number of "plain" EX V6 AWD to make offers on.

We pay cash, no trade-ins, so our offers are real simple. I'd appreciate any comments on the following.

For a 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD with tow hitch and auto-mirror+HomeLink:
    From the Kia wesbsite:
    MSRP $29,650
    Tow Hitch $395
    Mirro w HomeLink $350
    Destination $800
    Total $31,195
    From Edmunds:
    Invoice: $29,500
    TMV $29,550
    less $1,500 rebate
    Net TMV $28,050

Any advice whether to offer more or less than $28,050 for this unit? Seems like end-of-year and with Kia now having posted the 2014 Sorento "coming in February 2013" on their website, dealers will be wanting to move their 2013 inventory.

Thanks!
  • trav06trav06 Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Based on TrueCar.com I'd probably target ~$27k, or just under, for the setup you mentioned.

You might also qualify for the $1250 loyalty/competitive incentive:
    "Competitive/Loyalty incentives are NOT combinable with each other. Must be the current owner of a Kia vehicle or qualifying competing vehicle."

You could even get close to $26k if you got them down on price AND they gave you that incentive.

Sounds like others have had success by calling around and asking for quotes so they don't waste time visiting multiple dealerships. Tell them your price and that you're shopping around to several dealerships.
    You can get much better then that..I paid 28300 for the same vehicle with the Premium package and few other small additions..MSRP of 34295. You may want to consider financing . I also was going to pay cash but by financing 11k @ 1.9% got 500.00 rebate....will pay it off after 3 months..also can you get military rebate ( active or discharged qualify)?...Dealer I bought from gave me price right over phone and was 800.00 below the best offer I had gotten from 6 other dealers both in person visits and phone/email. Work it I bet you can get close to 26k. I also owned 2 Nissans and compared the Murano....Sorento won out big time for me in all features especally price and warranty . Good luck!!
  • flatontopflatontop Member Posts: 20
    I just recevied a price for the same car except EX V6 FWD without the 3rd row seating $24,305 plus $80 doc fee Plus tax & reg through truecar.com. $4,400 off msrp. Competive rebate includes just about any car. The price with AWD was about $1300 more. I live in So Calif and used the Long beach zip code 90808. The car internet sales manager called me after making my selection and will have it ready for my pickup or they will deliver it for free. Next week I'll have a cashiers check ready & they'll drop it off at my house.
    One more tip if using truecar.com make sure you click on the incentive icon to add them to your quote when building out your price.
  • melandsmelands Member Posts: 3
    What rebates did you get - Customer ($1,500), Loyalty ($1,250), Financing ($500)?

I am looking for a AWD V6 LX as well, without the convenience package. My MSRP is $28,200, so based on your post I estimate I should end up paying $24,000 after rebates. The only way I can imagine getting there is by stacking incentives.

Thanks for your help!
    Very helpful info already! I drive a 2008 Frontier V6 4x4 and my wife drives a 1999 Infiniti I30. Kia USA website doesn't list either under the long list of models that qualify. Not ex-military, either. Could consider the financing -- I see how that pays off, but I really like being able to make very simple "CASH DELIVERED OFFER" by e-mail only, and not get into "dialogs" with a salesman (but that's my hangup).

Without those additional incentives, my fuzzy "crystal ball" seems to say about $4K off an MSRP that's in the low $30's.

Nice thing about the e-mail system and my flexibility on colors and dealer location is that I can test the response on the first round and always come back for a second round. We're also in no hurry because we don't have to have "that car," so as the 2014s loom closer, I would suspect dealers wanting to get rid of 2013 inventory.

Thanks all!
    I got a total of 3000.00 in rebates....500.00 for ex military...I believe it was 500 or 1000.00 for financing..I was going to pay cash but if you finance a portion ( in my case 11k) and use the 1.9% rate vs the 0.9% rate you get the incentive...Dealer said just make 3 payments then pay it off....the rest was in competitor vehicle and customer rebate . Dont remember the exact breakdown but it was 3000.00 total. Dealer also came off MSRP by 3,000. Out the door was 28,300 vs 34,295 MSRP( also note I went thru Costco website which helped the dealer give me about 500.00 off MSRP of the 3000.00) Shop ..compare..and spend the time haggling if in no hurry you will get your price and $24,000 should be very doable off a 28,200 MSRP..Good luck
  • albradalbrad Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I GOT INCENTIVES THAT TOTALED 3500 then dealer gave 1000. TOTAL WAS 4500 OFF MSRP OF 29,700. THERE WERE 3 DIFFERENT BONUSES I QUALIFIED FOR FROM KIA .2 WERE FOR $ 1250 THEN 1 FOR $1000 FOR USING KIA FINANCE. IN THE END I THINK THEY JUST PUT THE NUMBERS TO MATCH MY BEST OFFER. I CHOSE THE LX FOR THE 17 INCH TIRES THAT I BELIVE = SOFTER RIDE & FABRIC SEATS ARE MORE COMFORTABLE AND SEEM WIDER IN FABRIC. LAST REASON FOR LX OVER EX WAS FOR THE REMOTE START AND MANUAL HEAT.WITH AUTO HEAT CONTROL THE EX I TESTED DID NOT START THE DEFROST UNTIL I GOT IN CAR AND MANUALLY TURNED IT ON.I STILL BELIVE I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER BUT NO OTHER DEALER WAS WITHIN 500. I live near Pittsburg pa.
  • melandsmelands Member Posts: 3
    The fabric seats on an LX are preferable to me too - leather gets too hot in the summer and cold in the MN winters.

I'm going to use tips from findthebestcarprice.com to buy at the end of the month and I'll post what I'm able to negotiate.

Thanks for everyone's help, this is extremely useful!
    I took my wife for a test drive yesterday at the local dealer, the sales rep told me that after Xmas they are going to have a quote "Crazy inventory clearance" to get ready for the 2014's. But the $4,660 I'm already getting next week on a EX V6 fwd, no nav packages or 3rd row seats will work for me.
    We drove a EX V6, insane power it really surprised me. I don't know if it was the leather interior but the seats seemed more than a little stiff during our ride. In So Calif I don't need AWD and have no idea what the term icy windshield means or why someone would want heated seats. lol
    edited December 2012
    Lots of good info! I have a couple follow-ups ...

The finance incentive. I get the basic idea, but when I look at kia.com, the terms don't make sense to me. Could someone please explain the details of how much ($$$) you have to finance, at what rate, and for how long (before paying off) to get the max incentive amount?

Edmunds is showing an incentive: Pay dealer's invoice less $500, and can be combined with any available Customer Cash. However, on the same page, it shows the $1,500 "Customer $ Offer", but says: "$1500 Customer Retail Cash may NOT be combined with 0.0% APR - 0.9 % APR and vehicle MUST BE FINANCED through the manufacturer's captive finance company." The kia.com website doesn't show either of these (or some of the others on the Edmunds' site). Anyone know what gives?

I checked out the Costco car-buying website. I didn't understand the prior post that said "going through the Costco site let the dealer get an additional $500 of MSRP." Is the idea to tell the dealer you'll go through this site when you're making an offer? (Sorry if I seem a little slow on the uptake ...)

Thanks!
    edited December 2012
    I just saw a commercial last night and then checked on the Kia web site. It looks like there is a new incentive available in lieu of the $1500 customer cash. It is $1000 cash back along with 0 % APR for 60 months. This along with $500 military cash and $1250 competitive bonus (wife's Honda Odyssey) give me a total of $2750 + 0% APR. I changed the APR from 3.99% to 0% and the calculator showed a savings of $33/month which comes out to another $1980. That is ~ $4730 in incentives which is pretty nice on an already very reasonably priced vehicle.

I was going to get an AWD LX with convenience package, but my wife is pushing the leather seats because I'm a slob and sometimes eat in my car. :blush: It looks like the EX comes with all of the things in the LX Convenience package, so I'm game for getting the upper trim. The EX also comes with the 3rd row seat standard.

I checked Truecar and for some reason their rebates/incentives do not match the Kia web site. There is also no mention of the new $1000 bonus with 0% APR listed on TC, but that is fairly new so I'm not surprised. However, the competitive bonus on TC is showing as $500 while it is $1250 on the Kia web site.

Flatontop, please post back how your truecar experience goes.

I'm not in a major rush to buy, but would like to buy before year end if the deal is right.
    edited December 2012
    I believe the 2013 Sorento EX does NOT have the 3rd row standard. You have to get one of the optional packages.

(This is why we want an EX V6 AWD without the packages.)

I think the plain old $1500 cash back is also still available.
    Regarding Costco..If you are a Costco member you go to their automotive site and fill in the info. When that is done it will display or email you a note saying that Dealer XYZ is the designated Costco dealer in your area and they will be in touch with you within 24hrs. Dealer calls and you start the negotiating..By the dealer getting the lead thru Costco they must charge a price of xxx below invoice in my case was 500.00 below and they must show you invoice( there are very specific rules and the Costco website lists the procedure to follow)negotiate from that starting point....it works because one of the other dealers I was working with the salesman was totally deflated when I told him I found this Costco service..he knew he couldnt match their pricing
    Very cool! To confirm ... the dealer must charge you some amount that Costco sets below INVOICE?

And the you can also get the $1,500 cash back?

Thanks!
    I checked the review here on Edmunds on the 2013 Sorento and the info is contradicting. It says "Five-passenger seating is standard on all but the LX V6 and SX, which come with the otherwise optional 50/50 split-folding third-row seat that raises capacity to seven." Then it goes on to say " The LX Convenience package adds foglamps, rear parking sensors, heated front seats, an auto-dimming mirror and the Uvo voice-activated electronics interface. On four-cylinder models, this package also includes a more powerful and efficient engine, roof rails and the third-row seat (also available as a stand-alone item). "

When explaining the EX trim level "Stepping up to the EX gets you the upgraded four-cylinder engine, 18-inch wheels, automatic headlights, keyless ignition/entry, dual-zone automatic climate control, the eight-way power driver seat, leather upholstery and the LX Convenience package items (minus the auto-dimming mirror)."

For the most part these sites have correct info but occasionally it is incorrect info which is dangerous and can make you lose credibility when negotiating. I believe you are right about 3rd row being optional on the EX.

I may go the Costco route after I do some quote requests on my own. One thing to watch out for when using this service would be the additional and inflated BS fees they tack on after giving you the "Costco price" I haven't used Costco but I know the way dealers can tack things on to get as much as possible from the buyer.

Thanks for the help.