Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Wrangler Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Went into my local dealer & in about 20 minutes gave a deposit(decent price on my trade)....Dealer placed the order the 18th(he told me that since it was a 2 door, there was a 90% chance it will go through, he'll know within the week............Auto, power package, 18 inch wheels, locking gas cap, Hard top, spare tire cover, Red Rock, for $25,469 + tax.......I hope it goes through..Would rather not wait for an 08.......
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    Excuse me for asking but what was the sticker price on your ordered Jeep and was a time line stated for the whole process?
    It was about $600 over dealer invoice...I'm getting a decent price for my trade-in.....There are several wranglers on his lot, but he doesn't discount em.....If the order goes through, he said it would take about 6-8 weeks, he'll know within the week(this week)....
    Thanks. 6-8 weeks is a pretty decent delivery period. Beats the hell out of 4 months.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Currently there is no official lead time for '07s, and there won't be until the '08s start production. Also, as has been the case previously, not all the orders that dealers place will actually be built.

Basically, the last orders placed are being used to 'tidy up' the end of the '07 production. Those orders that don't fit in will be referred back to dealers to be changed to '08s.

All this means that some orders may arrive quickly, others may take the last known lead time, and yet others will not be built at all. Kind of the good, the bad, and the ugly! ;)
  • timwhitetimwhite Member Posts: 7
    Have a great deal on an 07 2D sahara, but, they have lowered the res from .71 to .70 (39/10.5K miles) and raised the money factor from 345 to 369, from last week...
    are they just playing games (lowering the vehicle base price, and raising the financing charge)?

What are the current res value/money factors on this model?

trying to get this deal done today
  • usnavy1610usnavy1610 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a Sahara, but two dealers I have talked to here near Austin are saying they are still selling at MSRP, and don't seem willing to to negotiate at all.

Does that sound familiar to recent purchasers?

tks SRM
    Take your checkbook to a dealer that wants your business.
    Having said that, you're not going to get a good price until the dealer can see that you're ready to buy, rather than just checking out the prices.
    CarmAx in LA has this offer (2 in fact):

2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2D Sport Utility

CarMax No-Haggle Price: $24,999*

Dealer Prep: $0
    MSRP: $27,710
    Factory Invoice: $25,820
    Savings From MSRP: $2,711
    After backing out a holdback of about $820+ one would believe that Carmax is selling this vehicle at their cost Invoice $25,820 - holdback $820= $25,000. Any CPA. yours included, all know that nobody stays in business selling their goods/services at cost. Maybe mac24 can comment here but there's got to be more to the story here than these numbers.
    Since you asked! :blush:

When it comes to vehicle pricing the only thing I know for a certainty, is that there's a lot I don't know. The only people that really know the full story are the dealer principal, and maybe his CPA. Certainly not any of the sales staff or management, none of whom could care less. They only need to know how much a vehicle can be sold for at any given time, which is constantly moving target.

Invoice price is a real number, holdback and advertising can be guessed at, the rest is a fog. Every business has different costs for selling the same item, some fixed some variable, so some places can profitably make a deal that others can't match. Additionally, although invoice pricing is the same for all dealers, incentives of various types are not.

The only important number is the one that you pay. The best price is never the advertised one, even at a 'no haggle' store. The cleanest way to that best price is to negotiate an 'OTD' (Out the Door) price. That's the price you pay (plus tax, tag and title) to drive away as an owner. No dealer prep, no doc fees, no add-ons.

Simple! ;)
    I do not know if you read my post, but my dealer placed an order for a sahara, freedom top, auto, 18' wheels, power pack., red rock 10 days ago...As of Friday the order had not moved, he called Detroit & (I guess he knows the guy, deals with him often enough I suppose)& asked him if he could put the order through, he had to get back to him because it was the Friday before Memorial day & the big bosses were not around..My dealer said there was a 90% chance it would go through at $500 over invoice....As far as Wranglers on the lots, dealers are getting basically sticker for them, the demand is there, so no need to lower the price....Good luck!!
    I do not know if you read my post......

Yes, I did read your post and this was part of my reply:

".....some orders may arrive quickly, others may take the last known lead time, and yet others will not be built at all."

I hope it gets built for you.
    As far as Wranglers on the lots, dealers are getting basically sticker for them, the demand is there, so no need to lower the price. I see new Wranglers like the model you ordered on EBAY for less than invoice. Same deal at Carmax. If one is willing to travel below invoice is definitely achievable. The key word here is, if.
    Thanks, I hope it gets built also.......
    Stopped by the dealer yesterday(5-30) to check the status..He once again called Detroit & he was told that his dealership had used up their May allocation(he didn't know this?)...Anyway, since the order was given a vehicle order number, there was a good chance it would be picked up starting June 1st...The guy from Detroit was going to track the order......He told me to stop by tomorrow 6-1 & check...
    We'll see what happens....
    The dealer told me today that my order for an 07 was going to be turned into a 08 model year...The plant closes for 2 weeks in early July, he said I'll have the car in early September(I'm not going to hold my breath), but no reason to doubt him, he's a big shot at the dealership, nice guy))...I told him to stick with the order....Does anyone know of any changes for the 08's??....
    Besides higher prices? Probably not much.
    I asked him about a price increase for the 08's......He said if any, it's miniscule...Just have to be patient now & wait....
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Ive read on here that Wranglers Do Not hold their value. I didnt know if they did or didnt until this week, as i purchased for pure fun of the wrangler. I have a 2005 unlimited rubi auto I paid $25K for in Dec. 04 with a sticker price of 31K and she now has 19K miles. I was thinking of trading for a 4 door suv or car...more so for gas mileage and convience for the family.

Ive been to several dealers to check about trade in value. My experience with trade inns have never been good but for one which was my honda accord.

Dealers have quoted me for $17,900 to $20K BEFORE we ever got started on negotiations for a vehicle. I wanted to know where they stood on my trade in before i started all the hemhawing....it might be backwards but to me if they are going to low ball me on the trade even if ive negatiated a great price but get my trade stolen its all a waste of time.

Anyway i must say the prices offered suprised me in a positive way...ive just been making regular payments on a 66 month note and based upon the median value offered i could trade in and not be upside down and probably could retail her and have $$$ in my pocket.

A good example is my Pontiac Vibe which i paid $21K for in Feb. 06 and now is only worth $13K...shew thats some serious depreciation...glade i plan on keeping it for many more years.

It might be that my jeep is a wrangler unlimited and a rubi dunno....but im very happy with whats being offered and i thought it would have been Much less.....
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I checked the LAX carmax as well as on in georgia i think that is selling new jeeps. I called and they told me I had to be resident of that state to take advantage of the price...i guess a way to keep people from flying out and bring back cheaper...although i was able to pick up my 05 rubi for almost 6K under sticker from a dealer in Indiana thats advertised on ebay, the have it shipped back to me in Texas. Even paying shipping costs i stilll came out way ahead of what any dealer would offer me here in Texas.....
    Ive read on here that Wranglers Do Not hold their value............im very happy with whats being offered and i thought it would have been Much less

Good post. Some people seem to enjoy casting doom and gloom without having any grasp of the real facts.

Wranglers have always had a better retained value than virtually any other vehicle out there.
    Stopped by the dealer today just to see if the order was still in limbo(the order was placed 5-17)..The wrangler was finally given a Vin# & will be delivered as an 08..Now, it's just a waiting game.......The dealer said it will prob. be one of the 1st 08's they recieve......Hope it's not built when the workers come back from there 2 weeks off & are to lazy to tighten all the nuts & bolts :-(
    I'm not surprised it's coming as an '08. Don't worry about lazy workers as much as workers learning how to build any changes in the new model. However, there aren't any major changes so you should be ok.
    Thanks for the reassurance........For the most part I've had pretty good luck when purchasing a new vehicle(very few mechanical problems), I'm kinda do for a lemon....Do you know of any subtle changes of any kind on the 08's??..
    Thanks
  • podmed2002podmed2002 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to find out what prices people are paying for their new wranglers. I'm looking at a 4dr sahara, auto, 2 wheel drive, hardtop and 18" wheels, with no other options and their MSRP is $28064, which is about a grand over the MSRP configured from Jeep's website, and their "internet price" is $26323. Has anyone out there been getting a better deal, if you call it that? I'm wondering if I have any more room for negotiations? I know that the MSRP has continued to rise over the past year from Jeep but does that mean that their invoice has gone up too? Since the price now is reaching the $30000 mark after taxes and fees I'm wondering if this is worth the money with Diamler-Chrysler's declining quality and dismal 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm looking at a 4dr sahara, auto, 2 wheel drive, hardtop and 18" wheels, with no other options.......

If you ever want to sell it, or trade it, you might want to consider 4wd.

I know that the MSRP has continued to rise over the past year from Jeep but does that mean that their invoice has gone up too?

Absolutely.

I'm wondering if this is worth the money with GM's declining quality.......

GM??? :surprise:
  • podmed2002podmed2002 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, had GM on the mind for some reason. LOL. I guess what I should have said was the american auto makers as a whole.
    At least you didn't confuse it with an import. :)

Actually, while anyone can produce the odd lemon, Jeep's build quality has been very good for many years now.
    I checked the LAX carmax as well as on in georgia i think that is selling new jeeps. I called and they told me I had to be resident of that state to take advantage of the price.
    I'm not an attorney but I find that totally w/o merit that one can charge non residents higher prices.
    I contacted CarMax and the rep stated that NO, CarMax does NOT charge higher prices on their quoted new vehicles from
    out-of-state consumers.
    After reading someone post here regarding CarMax charging more for out-of-state sales I came upon a response from another car message board: "and even though they may receive a stairstep or other kind of manufacturer incentive for volume"... Is a stairstep the same as holdback?
    It's just a way of describing one of the many remuneration programs for selling at higher volume levels. All manufacturers use them to one degree or another, but none are written in stone and often change from month to month.

Hypothetical example, sell up to 10 cars this month, no incentive. Sell 15 and get an extra $100 per car, sell 25 and get an extra $500 per car over the 15. Or maybe it gets paid on every car over ten, and maybe it doesn't get paid until the next quarter.

It can be of benefit to you if your deal takes the dealer to that 'stair step' to the next level, but it's not something you can count on when negotiating.
    I was reading the June sales numbers form the "Big 3" and saw where the Jeep Wrangler plant (I believe is in Ohio) has been working OT for the last 3 weeks. Anyone here work at this plant? If so how long will this OT continue?
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    Hello. today I received a SAFETY RECALL G25-REPROGRAM TIPM-ENGINE STALLING. Someone mentioned stalling on this site a while ago and it looks like it's been a problem.They note that "...Totally Integrated Power Module on vehicle was programmed with software that may allow the engine to stall under certain operating conditions . This could cause a crash without warning . " So....I'm bringing my RUBI back.It's supposed to take about 1/2 hour. I hope ! :shades:
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Went into Naperville Jeep in IL and looked at the Jeep for my wife. She loved even the strippers they had (2) but wanted more (The Sahara would have been perfect) They had 6 due in "any day". We put our $$$$ deposit to hold it (no trade)but no negotiation. It was exactly what it was on the web. We wanted both tops but it only came with the hard top so they gave us the soft for the difference of the package, no real deal but less than purchasing one separately. They had no Sahara's but they had loaded X's. Ours was just missing the upgraded stereo and navigation. With the soft top it was $28,900. My "deal" was for them NOT to put on they undercoating and Scotch guard etc. I wanted it as it was coming off the truck. We were told the money down did not mean the Jeep was really ours as they had problems with other's not being able to get financing or they had other issues. We felt confident that we could get it as we had no trade and we were preapproved but you never know what they could try to add after the fact if someone was offering more. (It is that wonderful but extra $$$ Jeep green) Well the any day was almost 3 weeks and my wife was having second thoughts but it came in and everything was as promised. Out the door with taxes was $31,000. Expensive for hand adjusted mirrors and lights you actually have to turn on yourself and doors that just swing open (don't notch) but it feels like its made from a single piece of iron it's so solid and the doors clunk shut as well as my Dad's Caddy. My wife seems not as enthused as she has been coddled in her Buick SUV but I know the tune will change when the top comes off and we do some off roading. It also means I'll get to use it more than I anticipated. We did get the 2nd to the last one they were getting before the model change.
    You're telling us you had to jump through hoops to pay sticker price on a new vehicle? Why?
  • jetsfan1jetsfan1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a car that comes off lease in late Sept and I would like to replace it with an '08 Unlimited. Does anyone know when '08 Unlimited's will be available? I see a recent post from someone that ordered an '07, but was told they would receive an '08 in September. Are dealers taking orders for '08's now? Thanks! :confuse:
    You're telling us you had to jump through hoops to pay sticker price on a new vehicle? Why?

I think the contents of that post conform to forum title exactly.
    I have a car that comes off lease in late Sept and I would like to replace it with an '08 Unlimited.

With luck you should be able to time it perfectly. Yes, I'm sure you can place an order. Go and have a chat with your dealer.
    My Sahara which was ordered as an 07 on May 17th, has an estimated ship date of July 25th(as an 08 model).....They are building 08's now, i'm sure you can order 1.....
    Good Luck!!..
  • lasse06lasse06 Member Posts: 7
    I am also looking to pre-order a 2008 Wrangler 2 door Sahara. When you ordered your 2007, did you find that negotiating was more or less challenging since you were ordering in advance?
    I went into the dealer knowing exactly what options I wanted & the printout of what the dealer's cost is...He said $500 over invoice(I said fine) & I got a decent price for my trade...It took all of about 15 minutes......You should be able to do the same, maybe even get a better price.....2 door shara, red rock exterior, kakhi hard top, auto, 18" wheels, power convenience group, spare tire cover, locking fuel cap, floor mats.....25,400 + tax & DMV..
    Let me know how it goes...
  • jetsfan1jetsfan1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input. I ordered a silver 2008 unlimited yesterday. The dealer said it should arrive in 8-10 weeks.

Does anyone have MyGig? I ordered it, although the dealer said he has never seen one.
    Did they quote you a price that both agreed on? If so,they must have the 08' price list which Edmunds hasn't posted yet.
    I originally had ordered an 07, but it was turned into an 08........I asked the dealer if there was any price difference & he said on the Wrangler prob. not....We'll see what happens when it comes in...
    He/she should have given you a more honest answer on the pricing question. If he/she don't know then they're in the wrong business. The Wrangler had multiple base price increases this year alone.
    I agree. We are responsible for getting the most full and complete information from any and all sources . The salespeople do these deals all day ,every day . If one of them is evasive or less than candid...WALK OUT ! That is the only "weapon " we have....and we shouldn't be afraid to use it ! :mad:
    I saw an 07' Rubicon for sale with 5K miles on it. The sticker was $30,500. That same Jeep Wrangler Rubicon would now sticker out at $900 more bucks. So there were many
    subliminal price increases throughout this year. Due to the fact this model is a hot seller.
  • lasse06lasse06 Member Posts: 7
    I just spoke with a dealer that quoted me nearly $35K out the door on a Sahara 2-door, hardtop Wrangler.

I nearly choked. I paid about this much for my Infinity G35 two years ago.

Dealer told me that he was giving me "fleet price." He went on to say that there is a 9K mark up, because it is summer time and Jeeps are in such hot demand.

Whatever. I think I may consider another type of vehicle if the next dealer gives me the same party line.
    If it's a JEEP you want then get the Jeep. $9,000 Mark UP ? If that were true I'd put my 2007 Rubicon on eBay right now ! Call every dealer you can find....ask for the sales manager and ask him/her if they're interseted in selling you a Jeep and that you don't have the time to discuss nonsense. Best of luck ! :shades: