Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Prices Paid and Buying Experience

13»

Comments

• mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    How does the process usually work to special order a Jeep? Once you decide the exact model, color, options, etc. and take your printout to the dealer, then what do you do after this -- negotiate the price and then place the order? Do you have to sign anything -- like the agreed upon price sheet? What if the dealer asks for some kind of deposit -- is this necessary? Then, if a trade is involved, do they evaluate the trade at that time and then again when your new vehicle comes in?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You negotiate the price and put down a deposit. Your trade will be reevaluated when the time comes to take possesion. If they lower the trade in you can walk and get back your deposit. Wouldn't give them more than 1-2 hundred as a deposit. Unless you order something very unpopular, they will just put it on the lot.
  • stefystefstefystef Member Posts: 17
    I see no one has posted here since August 2007. I am interested in getting a really good deal for an '07 Liberty, 6-speed manual in the NY/NJ/CT area. Anyone out there know what's going on with Jeep offers? I've been reading some not great things about Jeeps right now and I am wondering if it's worth the investment.

Looking foward to your responses.
  • wmarswmars Member Posts: 1
    You can't go wrong with the liberty. I have a 2002 sport with over 100,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. It will go anywhere and park anywhere. I tows my boat with ease. I love it.
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    I am interested in an '08 Liberty Ltd pretty much loaded....nav, etc. Does anyone out there have any experience buying an '08? I'd like to know how much I might be able to haggle off the MSRP. I know they currently have a $1K incentive and another $1K for being a repeat Chrysler customer, but how much more might I get off?

Any info/suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. As my name suggests, I'm in Texas, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

ChiGirl
  • cobalt4cobalt4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning to buy a similar Liberty. Considering that Chrysler just started offering buying incentives on their website, I expect they will continue offering better and more incentives.

The auto business is so slow now that by February or March of 2008, I'm guessing dealers will be starving and will offer very nice deals especially on SUVs that get less-than-great gas mileage. Let's face it by next spring the price of gas will only be higher than it is now which will only cut further into dealer sales. That's when I plan to buy mine.
  • cobalt4cobalt4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning to buy a new '08 Liberty Limited in February or March of 2008, but I also plan to relocate cross country in April of 2008.

I feel that I stand a better chance of getting the exact vehicle I want here in the country's car capitol of So California than I could find in northern New England where I plan to relocate to. But I don't want to have to pay sales taxes and registration here in Cali just to get hit again with additional registration fees in New England when I relocate.

Any thoughts as to whether I can special order my new Liberty from the dealer in the New England town where I plan to relocate? I haven't contacted them yet to see if they'll even agree to this, but presuming that they will, what kind of deposit should I give them considering we're over 3000 miles apart.
    I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Liberty, manual transmission and was given a quote of about $17500. Is this good for the NY/NJ/CT area? Anyone out their want to share their recent purchasing experience? I'd love to know. Thanks!
  • taogantaogan Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 2007 liberty from Buffalo.
    limited version with leather and g package(select tranc and ....)
    21333+tax and fee
    don't know whether it is a good deal or not.
    But sounds yours price pretty fair.
    I just bought a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport, Manual Transmission for $17,500 from Pamby Motors in CT (MSRP: $23,110) After going on websites like www.carbuyingtips.com and Edmunds, I was able to figure out the DEALERS cost (not invoice,which is more money) which includes rebates and factory-to-dealer incentives (it was $5,000 up to 12/3/07). Pamby Motors was excellent! They offered a great price, they got me a good deal on financing and warrenty and made the experiece so simple and smooth. I almost thought I wasn't in a car dealership.

You sound like you got a great deal too for the Limited with the G Package. How much was the MSRP?

I was nervous at driving manual (hadn't in about 15 years), but I slipped right back into it (like riding a bike) and I love it. How do you like your Jeep?
  • taogantaogan Member Posts: 3
    The MSRP for my liberty is 28848. Yes, it is G package.
    love the 4X4 full time.
  • gtangjrgtangjr Member Posts: 25
    Also got Premium Groups 1 and 2, MyGig, Premium Audio, Tow Pkg, Leather (slate gray), Chrome Grill, Siding, Rear Cover, and Wheels. It's the 2WD.

Paid $300 over invoice ($29,735 before T&L) and chose the $2.99 gas instead of the rebate. Also got the maintenance plan for $1,400.00, which includes rental.

Purchased from David Ellis Jeep in Canoga Park, CA from James. Very, very cool guy. No pressure at all.

Issues so far:

*They forgot to charge the A/C system. Found this out on a 117-degree San Fernando Valley day. They fixed it right away.

*They forgot to install the little antenna. Had to go back to pick it up.

*MyGig has frozen a couple of times. Resetting has done the trick.

*Wind noise evident at 75MPH+ while Sky-Slider roof is closed.

*Only achieving about 15MPG, even with a lot of highway driving (without stop and go).
  • smunsie3smunsie3 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to email dealers in early August to hopefully pick up a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD in early-mid Sept. Is it too early now to tell what a residual will be on this vehicle in another month? Or does it stay constant for a while. Also, same thing with the money factor? I am just looking to get an idea if I can keep my payments around $350/mo on a 12k mi per year limited with standard sunroof (not sky slider), and option package 1?? I'd like to go into the dealers knowing my numbers and hoping for the best, Thanks
    Because sales data is relatively low, residuals are harder to come by. Most dealers here in Los Angeles consult the NADA residual guidebook for this information. If it's a new model, they often base it on prior model history and adjust as the years go by and more data is collected.

I would think that you have a reasonable chance of getting this payment, but it also depends on your cap reduction, etc. BTW, money factor is just a fancy derivative of a lease's APR, it's not affected by residuals, but by market forces and your credit.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You don't know the numbers they do. Email 10-20 jeep dealers (jeep website) for their best monthly payment on a jeep of your description with a 12000 mile lease for 36 months with no or very little money down.. Let them know your are contacting 20 dealers and your fico score. Do this last week of the month and work the top 3 against one another. Have them break it down (I would prefer) or not. The monthly payment (no money down) is what counts for 36mo. See what happens or who breaks the last 3 days.

You don't know the deals they can work or the true lowest money factors involved with currency exchange rates so the lowest is the lowest you can work over the phone within 200 mi. Keep your 350/mo mental target to yourself for awhile. A 31000 jeep limited should sell for about 23000 or less. I've seen some advertised deals well under $300 on leases on cars in this range.

--jjf

am looking to email dealers in early August to hopefully pick up a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD in early-mid Sept. Is it too early now to tell what a residual will be on this vehicle in another month? Or does it stay constant for a while. Also, same thing with the money factor? I am just looking to get an idea if I can keep my payments around $350/mo on a 12k mi per year limited with standard sunroof (not sky slider), and option package 1?? I'd like to go into the dealers knowing my numbers and hoping for the best, Thanks
    Great – thanks for your answers. If my lease on my ’06 Pontiac G6 coupe is up Sept 14 … when do you suggest I contact dealers? I will be considering 2 SUV’s … the obvious 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited and the 2008 Toyota Highlander (base model) so I want to be sure to leave enough time to shoot out emails, meet with the top 3 from each Jeep and Toyota and get the SUV by Sept 14 latest.
    Thanks for your input. I figured the residual may be skewed for the new model so I’ll just try and work the best purchase price obviously and see where I can get the best deal
    Because I used to broker cars I've been pretty lucky about not having to go through all this work. It takes a lot of effort to email that many dealers, especially if you include the deluge of repeated follow-up you will receive.

If you can, find out if your credit union has a purchasing service. Often you can save a lot of headaches. If you don't belong to a CU, a good resource is www.advocar.com, which works just the same way, or even carsdirect.com. I worked for both companies (they are national) and can tell you from the back end that it isn't even remotely close to their goal to screw you, especially Advocar (which is also known as Autoland).

Good luck!
    Thats silly. Test drive the cars now, decide what you want and work the top 3 guys (survivors) over the phone/email while watching TV from your couch. By no means run between 3 dealers in the september heat. That went out of style when Grahm Bell invented the telephone in the 1870's much less the internet. Usually if somethings going to break it will be the last 3 days of the month, So email out the last 7 days of July.

If you look up a Jeep limited 07 like the one you want used on kbb.com you will probably find a msrp 31000 model probably barely has a trade-in for 17000. This will be what your new 08 will be worth in 12 months. This is probably a optimistic number as the market is miserable for these SUV's. I wouldn't buy one for less than 10000 off msrp so we're looking for a killer lease here.

Good luck
    --jjf

Great – thanks for your answers. If my lease on my ’06 Pontiac G6 coupe is up Sept 14 … when do you suggest I contact dealers? I will be considering 2 SUV’s … the obvious 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited and the 2008 Toyota Highlander (base model) so I want to be sure to leave enough time to shoot out emails, meet with the top 3 from each Jeep and Toyota and get the SUV by Sept 14 latest
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    Test drive the cars now, decide what you want and work the top 3 guys (survivors) over the phone/email while watching TV from your couch.

Is there any certain program I should be watching? :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldmac1oldmac1 Member Posts: 6
    Certainly do not want to influence your decision about your 08 Liberty purchase but a little info may help you here. The regular sunroof's will leak water during a high pressure car wash and Jeep has informed me that it was not designed to go through Hi pressure car washes. Secondly the torque converter cause the car to feel like its stumbling going up a slight hill at 30 mph. Once again, it is a design issue. I have had 7 Jeeps and this is the first for both of these events. My 02 Liberty was flawless and just required brakes. I like the 08's and they are great vehicles with only these two exceptions and you may luck out and not be bothered by these two things. I would not let them stop me from buying another Liberty but I wish I would have known this so I could have bought one without a sunroof.
  • norm26norm26 Member Posts: 4
    I negotiated for $20,275 for a new 2008 4x4 Sport model. How does this deal sound? I'm also looking at Frontiers and Xterra's but I'm having trouble finding a 4x4 model. Nissan doesn't seem to make many four wheel drive vehicles in the south.
    A 08 25000 msrp jeep liberty 4wd sport will barely have a trade in value of about 13000 in 12 months. (What an 07 trades in for now --kbb.com). So that sounds lousy. Resale for all the 20mpg trucks/suv types of vehicles is miserable and anything less than 8 k or so off msrp for a liberty like this is no deal at all.

You seem to be looking at several styles and good 4wd. Try cars.com on a search for your new vehicle within 200 or so miles of your home. May help to locate a 4wd nissan, and show how many available within 30-200 mi. The nissan frontier board has several posts of 8-10k off msrp and some assertions that dealers in certain areas are blowing out quests, frontiers, titans, and xterras for almost 40% off or more. May be worthwhile getting quotes from all the 4wd cars.com hits (or nissan website ) within 200 mi or so for quotes towards the end of the month and see what you can smoke out.

Might be worth doing on the Honda Ridgeline, Pilot or Trailblazer, although only the trailblazer has true 4wd. A 32000 msrp 08 trailblazer has a kbb trade in price (07 used model) of about $13000. Nada and Edmunds put it at closer to 18000 but seeing lots of dealer usually high asking prices for low mile 07's below Nada trade in price the 13000 figure is probably closer to the truth.

If you request bids from 20 or more dealers via email within 100 or so miles toward end of month would a 17000 or less price on a 32000 msrp TB be possible? 40% off a Frontier? (17000 for a well equipped 27000 4wd crew) 10000-12000 off a Ridgeline or Pilot? 10k off a Liberty? Don't know until you get the bids. (and callbacks from those interested) Lots off may include favorable financing or not. I've always liked the Dodge Dakota, and 1/2 (Its been done in Detroit on the Ram) off a (inflated msrp) 32000 Dakota would be good. All depends upon stocks on hand. Dakota has respectable 4wd, and lifetime powertrain waranty.

Good luck
    --jjf

i>I negotiated for $20,275 for a new 2008 4x4 Sport model. How does this deal sound? I'm also looking at Frontiers and Xterra's but I'm having trouble finding a 4x4 model. Nissan doesn't seem to make many four wheel drive vehicles in the south.
  • norm26norm26 Member Posts: 4
    I tried to get him down around 18500 or 19000 but they wouldn't come down any further. They tried to offer me way above the 20,275 twice but I had no interest in that for a liberty. I really would like the frontier crew cab 4x4. I'm going to try getting back to the Nissan rep and see if he can locate something. I'm thinking it might ruin any chances of bringing the price down if they have to crawl the state for what I want.
  • kshahmdkshahmd Member Posts: 2
    What is the best price you think for a jeep 4x4 sport without the roof or with the roof , before or after taxes ...

i have 21 435 right now (includes 4500 in rebates and offers) and employee discount.

Any thoughts?
  • kshahmdkshahmd Member Posts: 2
    was that with or without tax
    Look up the trade in value of your vehicle in its 07 model year with avg miles.(kbb.com) It probably is worth 12000 less than msrp. This is what your 08 will be worth in 12 months.

In that context, $5000 off is nothing to write home about.

good luck
    --jjf

What is the best price you think for a jeep 4x4 sport without the roof or with the roof , before or after taxes ...

i have 21 435 right now (includes 4500 in rebates and offers) and employee discount.

Any thoughts?
  • bill11783bill11783 Member Posts: 40
    just got one for $13,749 (base 4x4 model). Located in NY.
  • James12302James12302 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also in NY and got a 08 Liberty with sunroof and tow package for just under $15,000...
  • CRD_BullydogCRD_Bullydog Member Posts: 19
    Yeah that's right. I have a 2005 limited diesel now with 150K on it. I still get 33 Mpg Hi-way and 25 City. Runs like a Pocket Watch, pulls like a Buffalo. I just want more control over my gears. If they put a BMW 6 speed electroshift auto in one that might be good too! I love my diesel, its like a bulldog, just need to know how to feed and care for it.
  • tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2012
    I was given a price for a Liberty Sport and I want to get feedback the proposed deal:

Sticker: $27,515/Sale Price: $26,600

39-month lease/10,000 miles/month

$339/month (sign and drive -- no $$ down at all): Price includes taxes and the only options include Bluetooth and a skyslide sunroof.
  • tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    Hi -

I got an updated price on a 39-month lease and wanted to see if anyone could advise if this was a good deal:

MSRP: $27,065
    Sales Price: $24,493 (includes tax)

Jeep Liberty Sport 4 x 4
    Standard Sunroof
    Convenience Package
    Popular Package
    Media Center (although I'm not sure if this includes Nav -- am checking)

With $500 down (that's all -it's a sign and drive), monthly lease is $303.22.

Anyone out there?