Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Prices Paid and Buying Experience

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Have you recently purchased or do you plan on purchasing a Jeep Liberty? What did you pay? How did you negotiate?

Comments

• VSQRVSQR Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at an 03 and dropped a email to a dealer. He didn't have an 03 I was looking for but said he would order me an 04 give it to me at invoice. And today I got an email from him telling me about the 1500 rebated, in case I was on the fence.
    That Help?
  • stargazer0791stargazer0791 Member Posts: 32
    I thought there was only a $500 customer incentive on the '04s. What is the $1500 the dealer emailed you?

I'm debating on whether to go 03 or 04.
    How much below invoice should I shoot for with an '03 if the '04s are hitting the lot now?

Thanks for any advce,

xmonger
  • VSQRVSQR Member Posts: 5
    Yes you are correct the Rebate is $500 on the 04s.
    He has quoted me the $1000 off invoice and the 3.9% on an 04 already.

I was going to order one because I want the off road packages and the tow package. I could not find a LTD with an Off Road Package in Atlanta.
    Dealer told me 4 week delivery.

I've told him I'd let him do the financing at 3.9% if he'll give me the 1500 off Invoice. I also told him if he'd put on a K&N Air Filter for $50. swap out the tires for Beefer A/Ts for a $150 and put a Borla exhaust on for $500 I might give a little on the 1500. Waiting for his response LOL
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    V-6, auto, power locks/windows, a/c, sport rims, etc. Purchased at invoice, with 0% financing for 5 years. This dealer was the only place in town that would give me a reasonable trade-in allowance.

I like the looks of the Patriot Blue Liberty, it drives well but my only worry is the MPG. I have been reading other message boards to get info on fuel saving ideas.

Dealer was easy enough to deal with, once I got rid of the novice sales man & dealt with the manager.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I bought my Liberty Ltd. with the help of a chrysler employee who got me a number that allowed employee pricing. They are still available so if you know of anyone who works for the company , the process is simple and the deal is about as good as it gets. My liberty is a 2003 and the list price was 27700. The deal with 2000 rebate was 22700 out the door. But the best part about it all is that I love this vehicle!!
    Good Luck!
  • 03maxmiase03maxmiase Member Posts: 12
    28g, antilock breaks, moonroof, heated seats, OWL tires, power seats, light khaki, had 6 miles on it

24400 plus tax tags. How did I do?

Nice people but idiots and thought I didn't notice their circular speaking and lack of knowledge of the vehicle, tag process, etc.
    and I really like the color. All the stuff that they try to slip in at finance time requires good concentration. There was a great story on 60Minutes II a few weeks ago on all the deception. Sounds like you stayed the course. I love my Liberty, looked at an xterra but passed. Have fun!
  • meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    Just two weeks ago I purchased the "04 Liberty Sport for 2K below invoice and then another 2K rebate on top of that.So far I'm enjoying drivivg the car. My biggest concern is how far the car can be pushed without fear of rolling it.This is my first SUV and I know that there is some concern about this car's center of gravity. Any suggestions? Thanks,Martin
  • piston716piston716 Member Posts: 2
    At my local Jeep dealer they said a 2004 Auto. 6cyl. Liberty "could be mine" for 16090. It's got AC,CD player, cloth seats. I'm thinking, not bad? I'm still shopping and comparing the Liberty vs. Escape vs. CR-V . Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
  • ckw27ckw27 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy an '04 Liberty Limited Ed. The MSRP is 25,480. I offered 22,500 and they accepted it immediately. They also increased the offer on my trade by $1,400 in a matter of five minutes. At that point, we were only about $300 away from my "secret" number.

Therefore, my thinking is that they are still making too much money from me.

The question is this: If the rebate is $2,000; should I be subtracting this figure from the $22,500?

Otherwise put: The homework I did on Edmonds.com showed the TMV "Total with Options to be $26,515. Right below that, it subtracts the $2,000 Rebate... to show "Customer Cash Adjusted to True Market Value as $21,515. Help please!
  • tarbottarbot Member Posts: 1
    I think I got a great price... 2004 black Liberty Limited; 28G package, heated seats, power sun roof, towing package,ABS, seat covers, tubular side protection rails for $24,948
  • blue_libertyblue_liberty Member Posts: 1
    is it including tax & fee?
  • jwebyjweby Member Posts: 1
    Patriot Blue Liberty Sport, 28B - air and electric package, V6, 4-Auto, Deep Tint Glass, Power Sunroof, Fog Lamps, Speed Control and Cast Aluminum Wheels.

The sticker was $24,470.

Dealer offered price of $23327, less $2000.00 rebate, and $1000 from Chrysler financial, $20327.00 plus tax and fees.

156 miles so far and loving it. On the bumbiest roads not one rattle, good stereo/cd and fun to drive.
  • mcspoomcspoo Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a brand new Silver 2004 Liberty Renegade. Sticker was 27500. Got $1500 off from dealer, plus 1% under invoice and 0% finance. Got good value on trade in of 2001 Ford Escape. Only 21,700. I dunno, but that's a good deal. Walked into the dealership at 10:30am and walked out with new Liberty at 1:30pm.

Only downside of the Renegade: that plastic roof basket on top was too high for my garage, but it's very easily removed with a torque wrench. Otherwise, drives with plenty of grunt, feels more powerful than the old Escape, and (at least I think this is a plus) drives more like a truck should drive.

I've wanted a Jeep ever since I was a kid, and now I have one. And a good deal to boot. Yeah!
  • bmwloverbmwlover Member Posts: 9
    I have a daughter that is soon 19 and she wants a new car. she is intrested in the liberty. Can you get a decent model under 20,000? Would you reccomend it for a 19 year old girl? How is the safety?

thanks for your replies
    bmwlover
    Your daughter needs to understand fully that this is a truck with a relatively high center of gravity and should be driven as such. The crash results are good but the roll over risk is much higher than a car. Get the side curtain airbags [hard to find]. I wouldn't have trusted myself at 19 with a Jeep full of friends but your daughter may be different.
  • liberylemonliberylemon Member Posts: 3
    I paid 26,500 for a fully-loaded Liberty Limited. Two months and 3000 miles later, after fighting with them over repairs (see http://www.riveroakslemons.com) they insulted me by offering me 17,600 for it. And they would not budge. So now you know what the thing is really worth. Don't pay more than 17,600!!

-David
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think that's a little unfair. Certainly the dealer is entitled to a profit on the original sale and, when they buy it back, they're not just going to keep it as a decoration. They going to sell it at a profit. Moreover, you're trying to sell them a used vehicle.

I wouldn't be so quick to take offense although I wouldn't be particularly happy about needing a lot of repair work.

tidester, host
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    There are lemon laws. Does it qualify? Probably a lot of red tape, but might be worth the hassle to investigate. Good Luck.
    Yes, I am pursuing it as a lemon law case, but it is a royal pain. Chrysler has not been easy to work with, either. I'm sure they are just hoping I will go away, but there is no way I am going to let them take me to the cleaners because I made the mistake of buy a car from them.

I have learned that the problems I am having are not uncommon for the Liberty. There have been recalls in previous model years, and it looks like they still haven't fixed it. I pray that no one has been in a serious accident becuase of it, but I'm afraid it might take something like that for Chrysler to actually correct the problem.
    Sure, they are entitled to make profit, but $9000 for a vehicle that is just two months old???? Come on, that's rediculous. I really tried to get them to make me a reasonable offer so I don't have to end up suing them, but they didn't want to be reasonable. Anyway, that's a little off-topic.

My point is: my fully-loaded Liberty Limited is worth only $17,600 after two months. So for all of you people out there who want to buy one, you need to know that it depreciates very very quickly. It will be worth $9000 less in two months. So use that to your advantage when you are negotiating.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Don't think that all Libertys or all Jeep dealers are the same. I've had my '02 Liberty Sport for 27 months and 28K miles, and have only had one problem. An ignition coil for one cylinder went bad causing a loss of power and a flashing engine light on the dash. I called Chrysler on the 800 line and had the car towed to the dealer. It was fixed right the first time. Other than that, it's been a dream, and both my wife (now the principal driver) and I love everything about it (with the possible exception of the poor mileage numbers). A great vehicle to drive and to look at (the paint job on my flame red Libby is perfect!). My dealer treats me with respect and is very responsive to any requests.
    Your Liberty may very well be a lemon, but mine is a ROSE!
  • gphcopgphcop Member Posts: 1
    My fiance wants a liberty limited 2WD. We are quickly finding that most dealerships are saying there best price is around 23,500, but I think they can do much better than that. We also have heard that by going out of state you can often save a great deal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • laproflaprof Member Posts: 9
    Go to jeepwarehouse.com... They seem to have the best prices when I shopped last week. They were a bit far from me (indiana) so I purchased from a local dealer in Louisiana. Also check out the "lost KJ" website for more information. Most importantly, enjoy your new jeep!!
  • 2putter2putter Member Posts: 6
    Bought one in July 04, Rebates were $2000.00 and if financed with Chrysler add another rebate of $1000.00 and if you are active military or retired add another $500.00, rebates are better now up to $5000.00 off on Liberty's and up to $8000.00 on Grand Cherokees . Go to the Florida Panhandle if you can and make a great deal.
  • ryangryang Member Posts: 1
    I've negotiated a deal with a dealer on a new 2004 Liberty Renegade, silver, 28E (leather, overhead console, etc), auto, security group, power roof, power heated mirrors and trac-lok for 22,866. The MSRP is 28,580. I don't have the exact invoice figure in front of me, but this is roughly invoice - 680 and applicable rebates. Requires financing through Chrysler.

Is this a good deal, or should I be pushing for lower with the '05's already coming in.
  • frankc58frankc58 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Liberty for over a year. No real issues at all. The family loves it and we take it everywhere.

I have an 03 and I would buy another.

Frank
  • dan_mdan_m Member Posts: 7
    I bought my 04 Liberty Limited in early August, loaded with sun roof and dealer installed side rails and chrome grill for $24,500. The MSRP was just over $30,000. This was using the Chrysler financing and $2,000 rebate.
    From what I am seeing this was about right.

Anyway my wife loves the truck and I have had no problems. I do plan on doing all of the mainentence myself as I really don't trust dealers. I didn't even go for the extended warranty because I feel that they wouldn't be offering that option unless they were not making money on it.
    Anyway getting to the oil filter is not the easiest so I am a little dissapointed but what are you going to do.
    Dan
  • aguancoaguanco Member Posts: 1
    Hi

we just received a quote on a '05 Liberty Sport B package w/ABS, cruise, tinted window, cd, etc. for $19,329 including taxes and fees. Is this a good deal?
  • studerstuder Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle but in the process I was offered several CPOs. One was a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited with around 3,000 miles another was a 2005 Ford Escape XLT with around 15,000 miles for $18k. I'm also considering a new 2005 Liberty Sport for approximately $18k or $19k. What does everyone think?
  • gthatergthater Member Posts: 2
    Incentives are down for December. Is is possible they will increase before month end?
  • cdbrowcdbrow Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an '05 Liberty Sport 4x4, C Package, moon roof, and 6-disc changer. Paid $21,300. This included $1000 rebate, $1000 Bonus cash for financing through Chrysler, $500 Holiday Cash, and a College Graduate Rebate.
  • libltdlibltd Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased an '05 Liberty Limited with heated leather, 6CD, Sirius satellite radio, full time/part time 4WD, etc. List was $28,415. I paid $23,200 + title & reg. No tax here in Oregon. Dealt with Timberline Dodge in Portland. Relatively painless despite typical salesmanship. I knew what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. So I made my offer and stuck to it. They ended up accepting it. $5,000 off MSRP seems pretty standard.
  • caylancaylan Member Posts: 19
    Wow, Congrats! that's a good price.

I am assuming you got the rebates that went along with the Daimler Chrysler financing?

Did you get a sunroof & ABS also?
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Just purchased one on Saturday.27,500 Limited, 28g package, heated front seats 4wd....23400 out the door including tax title registration and 0% financing. I traded my 2002 NIssan Altima. Never owned a Jeep but I have relatives and freinds that drive them so I thought I would try one. Now I own no foriegn vehicles. I hope this goes well.

Word!
  • rideonrideon Member Posts: 3
    ONE LOCAL DEALER WOULDN'T MOVE SAT. WENT MON. NITE
    TO ANOTHER, MSRP 24,760 (28C PKG + AUTO, V6 & SUNROOF) GOT IT FOR 500 UNDER INVOICE, 2500 REBATE
    + 0% FOR 5 YRS. NOT A GREAT DEAL BUT I'M HAPPY
  • ziggy2ziggy2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2005 Renegade. X package. Paid $383 X 60 month's. Good or bad deal?
  • liberty4allliberty4all Member Posts: 7
    You done good! I done my homework to and bought my 04 rocky mountain edition with the bells & whistles, no leather for $376.18 X 60. That was with green slip, $2000.00 rebate, $500.00 VA, and 0% X 60 D C financing!
  • ollie416ollie416 Member Posts: 11
    I ordered my 05 Renegade 4x4 from the factory on 2/24: Black, 6-speed manual, D package, sunroof. MSRP was $25,735, Invoive $24509. I was able to use Daimler Chrysler's "Extra Credit 05" program (for recent college grads...check it out at www.dc-collegegrad.com) that guaranteed me a price 1% below factory invoice with no haggling involved. I also got $2500 in rebates and qualified for the 0% 60 month financing. My total price after tax, title and fees was $21,839. (Not too bad, IMO, considering I ordered it, not off the lot.)

I went through Randolph Chrysler Jeep in Randolph, MA. I had a great experience with the sales staff there, no pressure (and maybe more importantly, no BS!), genuinely nice people, great prices to begin with, and kinda like a small "Mom & Pop dealership" type of atmosphere.
  • ziggy2ziggy2 Member Posts: 2
    So, OLLIE......what did you monthly payment end up being? Thanks!
  • ollie416ollie416 Member Posts: 11
    My payments haven't been determined yet, as the paperwork is still "open", so to speak, until I accept delivery and finalize the financing paper work, but after giving the dealership the $1000 deposit to place the order, I'll be adding another $4000 for a $5000 down payment. This will make my estimated payments (with the 0% financing) somewhere in the neighborhood of $260 - $265 a month.
  • dave33dave33 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Liberty Sport with an MSRP of $24,555. The salesman had a buddy that sponsored me for an employee discount and this reduced the selling price to $22,277. I also got a $2500 rebate and the 0% interest for 5 years. The total price was $20,838 out-the-door. They also gave me a high trade for my old Jeep.

Question: The whole process seemed too easy. Where did I get screwed or is this a good deal?
    In the past, I would have to work multiple dealers to get a deal remotely close to this.

Thank you
  • paul182paul182 Member Posts: 4
    What state do you live in? Last weekend, the papers here in Minnesota were advertising Liberty sports 4*4s for 18-20 thousand dollars.
  • dave33dave33 Member Posts: 2
    Ohio

Newspaper articles aren't usually a great source on determining what you will pay for a vehicle. They usually advertise a very low price that only a few people qualify for.

Thank you for your help however.
  • gollumgollum Member Posts: 7
    okay after seeing some prices paid on 05's I'm wondering how I did.
    I just ordered a renegade 4x4 automatic,with ABS, selec-trac, sunroof, sirius, the 28D pkg, off road pkg, and the dark khaki that cost $150.00 the total came to $24,900. that's with 0%x60 months and $2000 cash back. I havent picked it up yet.

Am I paying too much?
  • goh00sgoh00s Member Posts: 3
    Yes. If my math is correct, you are paying $1000 OVER invoice price ($26,900 less the $2,000 rebate). If that $24,900 includes taxes and fees, then you are a little closer to invoice. But you probably can do a little better. Good luck.
  • nnyleimajnnyleimaj Member Posts: 2
    I have a quote for a Jeep Liberty Sport. Basic package with single cd, abs, cruise. The price offered is 17,295. Is this a good deal? It's a fairly basic package, couldn't tell from the listings here what the basic ones go for.

Thanks
  • nnyleimajnnyleimaj Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to add, it's a 4 speed automatic and the MSRP was 22,795 with a 2500 rebate, or 2000 rebate if you take advantage of the 0% over 60 months financing option. Any input would be great. Currently test driving it right now for a 24 hour period.
  • goh00sgoh00s Member Posts: 3
    That sounds like a good deal. Roughly $2,000 difference between MSRP and invoice on the Liberty. So that puts you in the $20,750 range, less your rebate to $18,750. So you are well below the invoice minus rebate price. That sounds like a good deal to me!!
  • tomasnctomasnc Member Posts: 8
    I wanted to add my $.02 worth.

I have been hunting a CRD Limited. I printed Edmunds TMV pricing and faxed three dealers.

Two of the three agreed to the pricing and easily agreed to the TMV price.

The third would not budge and kept saying that CRD's were difficult to come by, etc.

They even went so far as to say that the $200.00 margin the other dealers were making was too little. The dealer I traded with said that DC would pay him $500.00/ car if he met his monthly quota.

Bottom line, the $9.95 I spent with Edmunds saved me $1,050.00-$1,232.00 depending on how I break the numbers down!

Thanks Edmunds,

TP in N.C.