Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pk71pk71 Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I am looking at my first minivan purchase. I am getting a deal for Chrsyler T&C touring with dual DVD system for $23300+tax. I am also getting a deal for Honda Odyssey EX for around $23500+tax. Kinda confused which one would be better. I am interested in long term low maintanence quality vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    What package is on your T&C? Cloth seats or leather?
  • pk71pk71 Member Posts: 7
    It is cloth. Thanks
  • shamcyshamcy Member Posts: 23
    I just brought home a silver 2009 T&C with 28M (4.0L engine, dual screen dvd, backup camera, heated power leather seats, media center, remote starter, 25th anniversary pack, etc.) and sun roof.
    Sticker was $35,705.
    After trading in my clunker 1994 Audi 100s which is 165,000 miles old, burning oil, a little rusty, and has a rough tranny. I got it for $23,800 + TTL. I also took the 0% financing option.
    I know if I tried to sell the Audi on my own, I would not get more than $1000 for it which makes my deal worth around $24,800 + TTL. That is almost $11,000 OFF MSRP.
    I also took the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for $1800. (I drive my cars until they say please put me to sleep).
    How did I do ?
    FYI, the dealer has the Grand Caravan SXT with the customer preferred package and the 4.0L engine for $21,900. The sticker on this one is around $31,000. I thought this was a pretty good deal too for those who might be interested.
    If you are wondering, the dealer is Wickstrom in Barrington, IL on Northwest Highway.
    That's the exact car I am looking for. What did they put on the paperwork for the price of the car and your trade. Did they put $1000 for your trade?
    He put $1300 down for the trade in. What ticked me off the most is the fact that I had to pay sales tax on the full sticker price. Does anyone know if that is the way it should be ? or was this another way the dealer got a few more $100s out of me ?
    I would check with your state. In GA they have to net the trade against price of the vehicle to calculate tax. If they did it incorrectly I believe they would owe you money back as they have to pay the tax to the state anyhow.
    I looked at the numbers and the taxable price was after deducting the trade-in.
    I wonder if my trade-in will get me something out of the Cash-For-Clunkers bill !
    Any thoughts ? I know it's not yet a law but the details are pretty much finalized.
  • desi1desi1 Member Posts: 40
    Toledo, OH. Yark Automative Group. They are a big dealer in town with multiple brands and locations. I have a history of doing business with them, leasing a BMW about 2-1/2 years ago; this certainly helped. Also, the sales guy who I had dealt with then is now the General Manager for the BMW part of Yark's business. I wanted to stick with Yark due to their great service over the years and they felt the same and met me where we both could be happy with the deal. It did take about 8 days to negotiate the final price.

In addition, I got the lifetime, unlimited B2B warranty from Chrysler for $1875.

So far, I have been very happy. A similarly equipped Sienna and Odyssey was running at $40+.
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    Sounds pretty similar to a T&C that my wife, & I test drove...Although it has a 3.8L, & no sunroof...With the MSRP $34,405/dealer pricing $27,890 - wonder how low I could go from the $27,890?
    2009 T&C 25th Anniv Edition + 4.0 L Upgrade + Customer Preferred Pkg 28M

MSRP 36,335
    Anniv Bonus Savings 1,525
    Sticker 34,810
    Sale Price 25K even + Tax + Title

Don't quality for either Chrysler Employee or current owner discouts.

How did I do?

Looks like a great deal to me!

BTW did you negotiate the final price in person, or via the dealer website?

I'm trying to determine how much lower I can go from their $27,890 posted price (MSRP $34,405)...Does anyone know if certain regions of the country have better rebates/finance specials, or are these current offers by Chrysler LLC nation-wide?
    I negotiated in person and then follow-up's via e-mail and phone calls. Please see a couple of other posts from me on this forum and 2009 T&C/GC Feedback for more details that you may find helpful.
  • nursekevnursekev Member Posts: 18
    As someone who paid too much for his 09 Town and Country (although I love the vehicle so I'm mostly over buyer's remorse), I know what I would do if I could turn back the clock. I would not pay a penny more than 10,000 dollars below the sticker price. I paid 30,700 on a MSRP 0f 38,310. And I would not play any of their games. Approach the nearest sales person and say to him "this is a yes or no question. Will you sell me the car I want for 24,405? If so I will buy it today. You have two minutes to check with your sales manager and give me an answer. I will not negotiate. I will not listen to counteroffers. I do not have time to waste. If you can't meet my demands then I will find a rival dealer who will. I have my stopwatch on. Go." Remember that you're in control and they are on the verge of bankruptcy. The ball is in your court. You must view any and all car dealers as your mortal enemy when negotiating with them. I dealt with an attractive female over the phone and lost my killer instinct. Do not let this happen to you or you will find yourself overpaying by thousands of dollars. They are out to squeeze every last penny from you and will do anything to get it. Yes, they don't give a damn about you. Yes, they will lie to your face. Yes, they will say they can't possibly go any lower and will try to convince you that you are the unreasonable one. Do not let them! Stay strong. Role play with your friends before you go in if you have to. It is a mental game and you must prevail until the end. You can do it! You have the power. Go forth and conquer, young warrior! 'Tis time to slay the mighty dragon! Onward and upward! Your future chariot awaits.

Kevin
    Clarification - 10,000 below MSRP is what I would aim for - at least!

Plus tax, tag, & title only?
    Roger that!

Plus tax, tag, & title only?

I think 10,000 below MSRP, before TT and T, is a good deal. But keep referring to these boards and read what others are posting. There's a dealer about an hour away from us who was advertising an 09 limited for 32,150. MSRP was above 43,000. As with anything, it pays to shop around.
    After doing my homework I noticed that getting 10k OFF sticker (in the case of the 25th anniversary edition, sticker is after the 25th anniversary discount which is a little over $1500 OFF MSRP and that discount is usually stated on the window sticker) is doable and the further the dealer's price is from $10k OFF sticker the less you want to do business with them. If your sticker is 34,405 then I would shoot for $24,000-$25,000 which means your can still go down another ~$3k.
    You need to check every dealer as you will end up with a dealer that is desperate enough.
    The way I did this was by starting negotiations on a not do marketable van, in my case, the Grand Caravan with the 4.0L engine and the customer preferred package. Sticker on this was was $31,500.
    I dropped him down to $21,900 then I moved to the Chrysler T&C and I asked for the same percentage discount (%30) which brought it down from sticker $35705 to $25000 (my initial offer on the T&C was $23000 and I knew I am willing to go up to $25000)
    I stuck to my guns on that price until he gave in. I was patient but stuck to the $25k. Then I brought the trade in into the picture and asked for $2000 ( I really wanted $1000-$1500).
    He wanted to give me $300 initially but was able to move him up to around $1300.
    then came the extended B2B warranty. He wanted $2200 for it and I gave him $1500, I ended up taking it for $1800. I think I could have milked him for another $200 on the warranty but after 6 hours at the dealership I was tired and mentally drained so I just said yes.
    You will know if the dealer really is really wanting to sell by his initial offer. If he gives you $4k-$5k OFF sticker then simply save your time and energy and go to the next one.
    I could not agree more.
    actually $10,000 OFF Sticker.
    I worked off the $35705 sticker (MSRP was about $37250 and there was the 25th anniversary discount of $1500+).
    Outta curiosity - do you guys/gals test drive the exact same vehicle you plan on negotiating on, or do you drive a similar model with the same features, & then check dealer inventories to begin negotiations?...Personally I'd like to drive the exact same vehicle before I begin any "wheelin & dealin" - ya never know what ya may wind-up getting.
    I test drive the exact car I am gonna make an offer on.
    If you have a car in mind and you call a dealer who does not have it on his lot, that dealer is not going to deal much on it because he would rather get rid of his inventory first. It used to be where if you wanted a car and a dealer did not have it, the dealer could trade another dealer one of his cars for it. But now, the dealer who has it wont trade, he will just sell it to the dealer your are working with so that dealer is less likely to give you a great price because he is not selling his inventory off. Does that make sense ?!?!
    Please do consider my advice if it makes sense to you...

I have learned in my experience that patience is the key to negotiations and usually the Yes/No questions and standing firm on an initial number don't help further the negotiations after the initial contact. One should have an initial number to offer to the dealer and then a number (only in the back of your head) that you would go up to, i.e., the max number for that vehicle. Usually, the deal that you finalize is somewhere in the middle of your initial offer and dealer's second counteroffer, which is essentially closer to your first offer but still under your max number in your head.

Also, no need to be aggressive during the negotiations. You can still call out a lie while being calm and respectful. I have realized that more pleasant you are in your dealings, the more chance that you will get what you want. While dealers do have a bad reputation, sometimes you do come across good, intelligent people, and those are the ones you want to do business with.

I have to smile at your comment on the 'attractive female', as this is indeed a new tactic that dealers have begun using. When I had called around, I always got a female to answer the phone who also showed me the vehicle; however, as soon as we begun negotiating, there was always a guy. Smart tactic! :-)
    Desi,

All good points. My prior post about negotiating was probably a lot of sound and fury, but it did signify something. The point was to prepare yourself mentally before you go into the dealership and to keep your guard up at all times. They are pros and are trained to wear the customer down. I thought I was all prepared to do battle and didn't realize until later that I could have made a much better deal. So, you really have to have a plan and stick to it no matter what. Be prepared to walk away and take a break if you start feeling confused. Part of the problem was that I could not find the vehilce I wanted with the exact features and color. The local dealer had one with the features but in a different color. Through internet searching I finally found one in North Carolina, 300 miles away.

In reality, I probably wouldn't have the bravado and testosterone driven angst that I described, although I get a kick out of trying to envision myself doing it. : )

We all know how it feels when you think you've been taken advantage of, although in my case it was my own failure to properly negotiate. You say to yourself "man, if I ever buy a car from that place again I'll talk them down to zero!! I'll get the best deal of the century! I'll bankrupt that freakin' dealership!" So you walk around for a few weeks replaying the deal in your head and how you would do it differently the next time.

The young, good-looking female ploy definitely seems to work, so be careful fellas. I've always bought cars from men before and in one instance practically ended up in a near shouting match with the salesman near the end of the negotiations. For whatever reason, I just can't see myself doing that with a female. So beware.

The deals are out there, as so many people on this board have shown. Now's a great time to buy. Good luck to all.

Kevin
    Carmax in Atlanta sells new Chryslers. They have a 25th anniv ed touring model for $27,156 plus tax (7%) and tag/title/lemon $21.

This includes 4.0L engine, sunroof, & GPS. Sticker is $37,005. Seems like a really good price.

My only holdback is they want to give me about $2,000-$2,500 less on my trade than I'd like to get.

What to do...what to do...
  • wp746911wp746911 Member Posts: 26
    sell your old car yourself and take the great deal.
  • jjwolfjjwolf Member Posts: 11
    We test drove one and settled on the options we like. Theres isnt one on the dealers lot though. How much will I lose in negotiating power if he has to obtain one from another dealer?

Is there a database with all dealer inventory so I can find it myself?
    Chrysler.com will let you find all dealers in your area and you can narrow down your vehicle choice and it will show how many at each dealer.

What market are you in?

Prior to this economic downturn dealers would trade all the time. Now you may find they actually want to sell vehicle to reduce their inventory instead of a swap out.
    that would be nice if the local dealer could swap one and sell it to me. if they have to buy it from the dealer, thats what Im afraid of.
    I see all the dealers in my area (Raleigh NC) I guess Ill have to call around.
    Wife wants the swivel seats and the inventory doesnt really list that from what Im seeing.

Im trying to figure out whether to go with a nicely equipped Touring model or the Limited

Also, anyone have an opinoin on the integrated booster seats? are they quality or just a gimmick? do they affect regular sitting when retracted?
  • jboisonjboison Member Posts: 2
    This past weekend I was offered $24,200 on a 25th anniversary T&C (MSRP $34,405) in the NY Metro area -- based on the amount of pressure the dealer applied against Monday night's employee plus plus deadline, I figured things were only going to get better if I let the deadline slide.

This morning the following is hitting the news:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jhgaAFgvUKfEGLzFE6ehFETBjvSwD9- 80PFD00
    Full article at link -- summary follows:
    Chrysler LLC said Wednesday it is offering up to $6,000 worth of incentives on its 2009 vehicles as it races to emerge from bankruptcy protection and counter a prolonged U.S. sales slump.

The automaker filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last week and is working to allay consumer anxieties about buying its cars given uncertainty over its future. Chrysler is trying to complete a sale to Italian automaker Fiat Group SpA and hopes to emerge from bankruptcy in 30 to 60 days. All of its factories have since been idled.

Chrysler said the incentives, which begin on Wednesday, are aimed at reducing the bottom-line price of the car. They include $4,000 cash, $1,000 for current Chrysler vehicle owners, and up to $1,000 for financing through a participating credit union.

The incentives come off prices negotiated with a dealer. They replace employee pricing plus rebates and zero percent financing.

Chrysler's sales are down 46 percent for the first four months of the year. The automaker has been subsisting on $4 billion in government loans since the start of the year.

...I'm assuming that this announcement means I should be able to get the dealier to come down from their previous final offer? Anyone have better insight or understanding -- especially as to what I might expect my new best offer might be?

Thanks in advance!
  • bluestar_2006bluestar_2006 Member Posts: 5
    jboison : which dealership offered you 24.2K for 25th Anniversary T & C in NYC?
    I was reading some news articles and they were saying Chrysler has increased Dealer Cash, I am not sure anyone except dealers would know that number, which will allow dealers to make sale. I went back to a dealer in NJ for 08 Grand caravan and they are asking for more money then they offered me on last friday!

But yes from all news articles I would think dealers will be able to sell a vehicle for cheap price then in April incentives. Thanks
  • bluestar_2006bluestar_2006 Member Posts: 5
    HI guys -- I am getting NEW 2008 T & C with 25L with siri video package for 21.5K + TTL -- Any thoughts on this deal ? anyone thinks I can do better ?

Please reply.. I got till tomorrow morning to pull trigger.

thanks
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Why buy a vehicle from a bankrupt company? What happens if Chrysler does not emerge from bankruptcy and the Fiat deal falls through? Parts suppliers have already stopped shipments to Chrysler. If your vehicle breaks down how are the dealers (if they're still around) supposed to get the parts? I would either hold off until Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy or look at buying from another make. Good luck.
    Unlike the other poster; my only concern about the 2008 (vs a 2009 T&C) would be minor quality control issues, and as always new models = some bugs being worked out as time goes on...I'd take the 2009 because this reason.

Other than that; $21500 sounds like a good deal to me; good luck!
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    put the crack pipe away, I strongly doubt you will see that deal happen
    In need of some advice! local dealer wants to unload a "new" 08 limited. We were in the market for an 09 Touring. It doesnt have sunroof that we wanted and it has navigation(that we didnt want).
    sticker was around 40, but they seem to be aggressive in getting rid of it.

I cant find the TMV for this on Edmunds as it seems to view the 08 as a used car.

any help on the dealer cost or what price point to focus on? thanks
  • kellyckellyc Member Posts: 3
    jjwolf

I bought a 2008 touring in Cary for 23,500 in December. It was loaded with everything possible. It was originally priced at 33,100. I would expect at least a similar discount(30%) off of the sticker price, if not more.

Cary Mom
    thanks. yeah I just left Leith in Cary. There is an 08 limited on the lot.
    I left there today without signing. The sticker is 40k.
    They tried to show me a form that said invoice was 38k.

I stopped short of calling them a liar, b/c that what the sheet said
    and I wanted to remain level-headed.

He tried to get me at around 33k. I know there is some dealer cash in there,
    and I told him that. (It was different in 08 than current 09 rebates so its hard for me to to figure) Guessing at least 4k. If I can get them under 30k I may pull the trigger.
    Its hard because of it being 08 I dont know the full extent of my leverage.
  • kellyckellyc Member Posts: 3
    jjwolf

Look at the inspection sticker on the Van. That will give you an idea of how long the car has been sitting in the Lot. You have a tremendous amount of leverage.

The sales rep I worked with was named Pat.

KellyC
    I would not pay over $25k for it and would offer $21k cause that is what they would offer if you were trading it in.
    So I wonder when they are going to cut the prices. This month has been the worst this year on pricing.
  • jktmjktm Member Posts: 5
    we bought an o8 loaded, duel video screens, naviagtion system, uconnect phone... all the bells and whistles, brand new (only 6 miles on it), with 0% financing for 23,500 off the lot. the sticker price was $35,800.

this ws in March in CT.
    I was informed by a salesperson that starting this May 21st (Thursday before Memorial Day weekend) there will be some "discounts"...We'll see :)
  • kkellnkkelln Member Posts: 8
    We just bought a 'new' 08 Limited in Canada, so prices are not on par. We paid $36,000 (taxes were extra). At the time, the Canadian Dollar was trading at 79 cents US, so we paid about $28,000US. Ours was tricked out with Nav system, Uconnect, dual rear entertainment system, backup camera, rear-parking assist, sunroof, swivel'n go seating, power third row stow'n go seating, power lift gate, leather, color matched running boards, upgraded fender guards, chrome door plates, color-matched rubber floor mats for all three rows of seating, towing group, class 3 mopar 2" trailer hitch, 17" wheels with chrome-cladding, and pretty much everything else.

I am THRILLED with this vehicle! I am a pretty tough critic, and there are certainly a few short-comings with this vehicle, but on the whole, the 08 T&C Limited (loaded) is an unadulterated TRIUMPH in family shutling technology.

I do want to make a few recomondations to owners:
    1. Get a quality chrome plated or mirror-finished stainless steal trim kit for your pillar posts (be sure to order the 6 piece version). I got mine out of California, and for only $60, it made the van look like a million dollars!
    2. Get a quality chrome plated or mirror-finished stainless steal trim kit for the fenders. I got mine form NJ, and for only $80, they really bring the chrome theme on the vehicle to a triumphant completion.
    3. Get the Mygig Lockpick module (be sure to get the original and not a cheap knockoff). It disables certain annoying safety features. With this unit installed, you can watch movies on the front screne WHILE in drive, you can search addresses, WHILE in drive, you can turn on the backup camera WHILE in drive, plus much much more. Now my wife (front passenger seat) and all the kids in the back seats can watch the same movie at the same time while we are on the road!
    4. Add the mopar blind spot detection system to your side mirrors (can be had for about $480 on the net) - this is the best piece piece of safety technology since the invention of the airbag and will no doubt be mandatory on all vehicles in the future.
    5. Sing your praises loud and proud! This vehicle is an American success story. I looks incredible. It drives very well. It is proof positive that the US can understand its customers and fill their needs!
  • phoenix67phoenix67 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I live in maryland and am trying to buy a new 2009 T&C touring- I have quote of $28K for 28L pack ( 4.0L, 2 DVDs, backup camera...), leather also has navigation and uconnect and security package and remote start.

Does this sound like the best i can do in this area? does anyone know of any better? appreciate any input.

thanx, L
    I'm looking at a T&C with similar options as well; I'm thinking with a MSRP ranging $33800 - $35,000 we could possibly negotiate $7,500 - $9,000 off the sticker (this would include the rebates)...That said I was informed that this Memorial Day weekend we'll see some good "deals".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• phoenix67phoenix67 Member Posts: 3
    thanx. we should just wait then and see what happens.
    the dealers seem to have a lot of inventory that they need to get rid of, i am not sure why they are not willing to go lower. some of the posts in this forum have unbelievable prices in other states.
    For all I know these unbelievable deals could possibly be a regional thing; maybe there's little to no sales of GC, or T&C in certain parts of the country - hence the great deals.

Here in southeastern Wisconsin I see a good number of 2008/2009 GC, or T&C on the road...That said there are a few dealers in my area with 20, or more mini-vans on their lot that I know they would like moved, and I would think they'd be willing to take any reasonable offer not only to get said vehicle off their lot, but to show other potential buyers that folks like us won't let Chrysler's financial woes stand in the way of purchasing what we would consider a fine mini-van.
  • andy_edmundsandy_edmunds Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

Has any recently bought TC in the Dallas Fort worth (DFW) area. Please share your experiences.