Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Although I am not ready to lease now (will be in 1 month), here is the offer I received. I am able to purchase through the Daimler/Chrysler Affiliates program, so there is no need to negotiate, and all available rebates automatically apply:

2005 Town and Country Touring
    Leather Package
    6 CD Player/Infinity Sound System
    Rear DVD Player
    Suuplemental Curtain Airbags
    Inferno Red Paint (extra charge)

MSRP - $32570

36 month, 12,000 miles/year lease
    Sign and Drive - $0 out of pocket (first payment, taxes, fees, aquisition fee) rolled into lease
    No security deposit
    $396+tax per month.

Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

Thanks - Damon
  • jcannonjcannon Member Posts: 1
    On 12/4/2005 I purchased an '05 T&C "Signature Series" in AZ.
    The van stickered for $32,750 and I closed the deal for $24,744 with the General Manager.
    (I had No Trade-In and NO Down Payment)
    Chrysler had $1,500 cash back, $1,500 Chrysler financing, and $500 Christmas Cash. The balance of the difference was all negotiated over 4 days starting with e-mails to several dealerships in Tucson, Phoenix, and Sierra Vista, Arizona.
    The Signature Series (in my opinion) is very comparable to the Limited, which stickers for over $36,000.
    The Signature package has two-tone leather heated power seats, Power Moonroof, 6-Disc CD, DVD, Navigation System, Power Dual Sliding Doors and Power Lift Tailgate, Adjustable gas and brake pedals, and 3-Zone HVAC.

Check out the signature series before considering the Limited!
  • tomvtomv Member Posts: 10
    Hi jcannon,
    I was wondering how the Signature Series added up to $32,750. I just selected the Signature Series through Edmunds pricing and selected all the available options and came up with an MSRP of only $28,100. Did you mean the Touring model?
    Can you tell me exactly which options packages you added on yours (what options are listed on the window sticker)? I am actually now considering an '05 T&C Limited so that is why I am interested.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • croy07croy07 Member Posts: 1
    First time posting...long time lurking

I'm considering purchasing an '05 Town & Country Touring. I have an OTD offer of $26,382 with zero percent financing for 60 months. I'd like thoughts and input about this. Thanks.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    You neeed to give the options and/or sticker price before anyone can tell if it's a good deal or not. If it's a basic Touring, my first guess is that's it's not a good deal
  • hcwusahcwusa Member Posts: 3
    Hi jcannon,

I agree. The signature series is very comparable to the limited. I am also shopping for a TC Signature minivan. I would like to know your experience with the van now that you've owned the van for a month.

Can you tell me if your negotiated price of $24,744 already had the rebated deducted?

thanks

hcwusa
  • jw1318jw1318 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the 2005 T&C not a special model like the Limited or anything. I have company 1% incentive and am using the Chrysler rebate. They have quoted $17+, I know unbelievable. Anyway, does anyone have any advice!?!
    What is the sticker price?
  • crystalrosecrystalrose Member Posts: 1
    I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR 2005 T&C , what equipent does this quote have? I am going thru internet, none of the dealers I contacted will provide a quote. I would love to purchase the LX model, but am hesitant going to dealer until I have a quote. Has anyone gotten an Internet quote from a Chrylser dealership.
  • kathyb2kathyb2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a 2005 T&C Touring with:

side airbags

front seat center console

AM/FM 6-disc changer

MSRP: 29,570

Dealer's offer (without me asking): 27,328

There's a 2500 rebate, plus an extra 1000 to finance through Chrysler. Or no rebate, but 2000 for financing through Chrysler at 0%.

T,T, & L will be a little under 1000. I want do $5000 down, finance $15000. If the dealer can do the rebate *and* the 0% financing, that might accomplish about the same thing.

Do you think they'll go for it?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    The dealer doesn't control the rebate/incentive program. The terms are what they are - if you get 0% financing, no rebate.

However, I don't really understand the math that gets you to a total of only $20,000 from the ~$27K figure quoted.  It's not likely that they'll give you $2500 rebate + $1000 Chrysler Financing + $2000 for financing at 0%. Seems like the max you can get is $3500 withthe rebate + regular financing incentive. This puts you at $23,878 + TTL.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"However, I don't really understand the math that gets you to a total of only $20,000 from the ~$27K figure quoted. "

I was thinking that after they subtracted the 2500 and the 1000 from the 27K that there might still be room for negotiation. I saw that somebody had gotten a $34 MSRP down to $24-something, and thought maybe we really could pull it off.

Dealer's already called back twice- once to suggest a base model (not interested) and a LPO (not interested.) I'm thinking I might have been too optimistic/idealistic...
  • mtgmanmtgman Member Posts: 18
    I just lease an 05 Touring Walter P series, $32,750 list, 39 months, 12K/yr, $357 at signing (includes tax, title and lic) for $357/mo.

Can someone tell me if wireless headphones are standard? My dealer is checking, but I sure hope I don't get stuck having to pay out of pocket
  • jtheronjtheron Member Posts: 24
    I think the Touring Walter P series van comes with the DVD for the back seat and yes the DVD does include 2 wireless headphones and a remote control as part of the DVD package
    "I'm looking at a 2005 T&C Touring with:

side airbags

front seat center console

AM/FM 6-disc changer

MSRP: 29,570

Dealer's offer (without me asking): 27,328 "

Not only did they not go for any less than that, when I decided that was the best offer I was going to get and went back to sign the papers, the salesman suddenly had no recollection of offering 27,328 and the price was now in the mid-high 28's (I don't remember, exactly- I was too busy putting on my coat to walk out!)
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    Thats the best you could find? If MSRP is 29570 the worse possible price would be MSRP - rebate I would think. These are not hondas/toyotas. I am considering offering 27000 + ttl for a touring signature series that stickers for 32405. My numbers are 32405 - 2000 rebate - 3405 discount = 27000 and financing @ 0%/60 months. No trade. Its probably a long shot but I can wait ... for better incentives that are sure to come.
  • ltlgtoltlgto Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at purchasing a T&C Touring with under 17k miles at an Enterprise car sales lot. They were asking $20,999 and have dropped to $19,999 + TTL of about $1,600. No other options/packages added as far as I know. I feel that the approx. 6-7k savings over new might be worth the 17k miles. Any thoughts on this price? Remaining factory warranty, + 12mo., 12k mile Enterprise powertrain warranty + 1 year roadside assistance are free.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    i just purchased an TCLX for $21,900 after $2,000 rebate AND 0% for 60 months through chrysler finance, plus they also had $750 additional rebate for the POP group 2 options pkg., list on this was $27,000, i don't know if my deal was all that hot or not, but i did get what i wanted and that was 0%, i had no cash down from me, and financed 100% including tax, title and license, for 60 months, i figure the finance savings adds to a final price of less than $21900, as financing would cost another $3,500 to $4,000 for 60 months, plus i would probably have to give a down payment
    The best deal I can get is ... MSRP 32405 - 2405 discount - 2000 rebate + 1800 tax + 99.00 doc = 29899 O.T.D. 0%/60 months financing. Supposedly this is 1% less than dealers cost through DC rewards affiliate program. This van has everything but side curtain airbags ... DVD, navigation, 6 disc changer. Still pondering. They have but one left in the midnight blue that I prefer.
  • tdbrphtdbrph Member Posts: 40
    Anybody have any details or experience with the

CHRYSLER FINANCIAL PLUS lease. I am curious how the plan works as the calculations I made with the calculator on the web seem reasonable. I am just wondering what the catch is. Any input would be appreciated

Triston
    LOL, there's not always a catch! I'm not familiar with this lease, but you might also check in our Lease Questions discussion to get info on this particular plan.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Kirstie thanks for the input I will check it out. Do I sound like a skeptic ;)

Thanks

Triston
    mtgman

Sounds like a good deal only 357 down? What state was this in? Was a 36 month option available I dont want to chance those 3 months off warranty ......

Triston
  • asinghasingh Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2005 T&C Touring (K-pkg.) yesterday at $21,170 (before tax and registration). I got 7% for 60 months but I will pay it off in 3 months. Thanks.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Wherever did you find such a good price? Were there any options on the car at that price? I tried buying a 2005 Touring with leather and trailer tow and the best I could do was about 29K plus tax, tag and a $600+ dealer charge. But the dealers around here never have cars on the lot with any decent options, aside from leather, so they would have to order what I want. Still, it seems to be a tremendous price differential from your figure!
  • asinghasingh Member Posts: 2
    I bought it from Sunnyvale, CA. It doesn't have leather. It is basic K-pkg with one optional feature - adjustable pedals. I think the deal I got is hard to beat if not impossible.
    This is the the best deal I have heard. Assuming 3500 rebate that leaves you 1549 under invoice. Dont know why any dealer would do that deal.
  • mtgmanmtgman Member Posts: 18
    I had 1 dealer tell me I was not eligible for a lease loyalty rebate of 1K (I was leasing an 02 TC from a bank instead of Chrysler) and I thought she was wrong so I called another dealer (Adel Chysler in Adel Iowa) and he said I was eligible. He essentially matched Des Moines Chrslyer's price (and his van had auto climate and adj. pedals) so I went with him. In the mean time, Des Moines Chrysler kept bugging me and her last message was they could do $339/mo with $339 at signing.

I went with 39 months with 12K/yr.

Today I got a call from the dealer I bought it from and he said the lease papers were wrong. It should be 20 cents/mile instead of 15/mile on the lease I signed. I told him I'd consider 15k/yr, but I'd be hard pressed to accept 20c/mile when he quoted and I signed 15/ml.

I know I'll go over 12/yr, but I'm not taking 20/mile.

I hate buying cars. I'm a mortgage broker and it's a lot easier to shop for mortgages than cars.

The headphones do come with the van.
  • heavydoeheavydoe Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a new GC SXT Special Edition to replace an 03 GC EX. It is great so far. These Special Editions are hard to find, at least in Denver. Went to a no haggle dealer and since it was the end of the month they were haggling. They knocked $2500 off MSRP of 32780 instead of their $1200 plus $3500 rebate. They also threw in an extra pair of head sets for the DVD and Permaplate coating on the paint, leather and carpet
  • rp-knightrp-knight Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2005 Touring Signiture series in Linen Gold. My research says that the invoice price is $29333. The dealer says that it is $29881. Can I check the actual invoice price for a given vin?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Dealer Invoice does not agree with Edmunds as the dealer invoice includes mandatory Chrysler advertising fee and maybe a few other items.
    March 2005 issue where the written portion is a flagrantly distorted, biased opinion that is not supported by the CR test results.

CR also paid MSRP for their new 2005 GC SXT instead of the normal lower price most people pay for a DC minivan with rebates and dealer discounts.

GC SXT has 4 Excellent and Sienna XLE has 3 Excellent and 1 Very Good NHTSA crash test ratings while GC SXT has Acceptable and Sienna XLE has Good rating in IIHS frontal offset crash test.

However, the biased written portion omits the 4 Excellent results for the GC but lavishes praise on the Sienna..."crash test results are outstanding".

2nd Example: GC had max speed of 49.5 mph in Avoidance maneuver test while Sienna had a lower 49.0 mph. The distorted, biased written portion "(GC) was secure and forgiving but felt lumbering at its limits". (Sienna)..."reached a commendable speed in our avoidance manuever".

For me, Consumer Reports is rated NOT ACCEPTABLE and NOT Recommended for purchase. CR is an expensive source of biased information while Edmunds provides more accurate information FREE of charge.

CR sells data on new cars for $12 whereas Edmunds provides more detailed information FREE.

Why doesn't CR use their pricing data when CR purchases a new vehicle? Why did they pay MSRP for a fully loaded GC SXT? Edmunds is smart enough to negotiate a lower price for their test cars used in long term tests.
  • rp-knightrp-knight Member Posts: 3
    Shouldn't the online invoice prices include these fees? To leave them out is misleading.
    After yet another dealer in my area tried to sucker me yesterday evening by coming back with a $1000 "mistake in figuring" AFTER I had put down a deposit to order a new T&C Touring with just the useful options, I hereby swear off forever trying to buy a new car. Other dealers around had already tried to lowball me or else said they had found a car with just what I wanted, leading me to drive many miles only to find that the car had a lot of useless (to me) rubbish like hands-free cell phone gadgetry, satellite radio, chrome-plated robocarbles, etc.

So . . . I will just drive my car another couple of years and battle only the used car people without having to worry about rebates, holdbacks, "mandatory advertising fees," dealer administrative fees (or similar wording), dealer window stickers wanting hundreds more for paint sealer or a bug deflector and all the other cons used today by all the dealers within any convenient range of my humble abode.

I know that my Subaru will depreciate more slowly than any new DC minivan and in two years I will probably be able to pick up a 2005 Limited with reasonable mileage for many thousands less than a 2005 Touring model today.

I sure slept better last night after arriving at this non-reversible decision.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    The only way I will ever buy from a new car dealer is to research the purchase price, walk in with a fair price in cash, and walk out if they balk. It's not my problem that they pinstriped the vehicle as soon as it rolled off the carrier, etched the windows and other BS "appearance package" add-ons. Just think of the money they could have saved if they just left the brand new car un-touched.
    Amd don't forget CR referenced a 205 HP engine THREE times in that article. When the 3.8L has had 215 for several years...

Yeah, the thing about the prices ticked me off as well. Made it look like it was the pricest, when we all know it would cost thousands less than the sticker
    I think the vary by region and that is why they leave off some of the items that are on the actual invoice the dealer paid.
    It takes great PATIENCE to find the very rare dealership where the games you wrote about are not dealer policy.

I have found about 1 in 10 or 20 dealerships do not play games and about 1 in 100 car salesmen are honest and straight forward.

DaimlerChrysler itself is a very bad offender with all the discount, rebate, incentive games that seem to change at least once a month.
    "Amd don't forget CR referenced a 205 HP engine THREE times in that article. When the 3.8L has had 215 for several years..."

In all fairness, I am looking at my official 2005 T&C brochure from the dealer and it specifically states that the 3.8 engine for 2005 is rated at 205 HP - not 215.

Perhaps they either derated it in the interest of better economy or reliability or else they decided to be less optimistic with their numbers. I still consider the torque curve to be more important than top HP figures, anyway.
    >>In all fairness, I am looking at my official 2005 T&C brochure from the dealer and it specifically states that the 3.8 engine for 2005 is rated at 205 HP - not 215.

Perhaps they either derated it in the interest of better economy or reliability or else they decided to be less optimistic with their numbers. I still consider the torque curve to be more important than top HP figures, anyway. <<

Interesting. I do see it changed to 205 when I look on the Chrysler website. Very odd to change the number downward, when it's the same engine (as far as I know)

Unless, in fact, the numbers were optimistic in the past and had to be restated.

If it is the case, I wonder if people with recent 3.8L will have a right to some sort of compensation.

Before we got our T&C, we had a Santa Fe that had the HP restated from 180 to 173. We were offered an extension of either the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty.
    Let's focus on pricing in here and take the other conversation to our regular Chrysler Town & Country 2005+ discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Edmunds pricing 2005 GC SXT equipped as CR's (where CR listed they paid $34,140) has MSRP of $34,370 and Edmund's TMV $31,571. Subtract the $2500 incentives and rebates to obtain the $29,071 price that a person SHOULD PAY if they are smart enough to read Edmund's accurately researched information.

That is $ 5,069 LESS than the MSRP which CR apparently paid.

As I have written before, Edmunds is the place to get GOOD information before buying any vehicle.

Why the difference in Edmund's pricing and the amount CR paid? DC has had price increases on their 2005 minivans since they were introduced and Edmund's has the current pricing.
    Just checked at Edmund's which states 215 HP @ 5000 RPM and 245 ft-lbs @ 4000 RPM for the 2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6..

I also looked at my 2005 T&C brochure which states 205 HP @ 5200 RPM and 240 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM. (I could not find power rating of 3.8L in the 2005 Caravan brochure).

Another reason to buy the Grand Caravan SXT instead of the more expensive T&C Touring clone which costs more, is less attractive, and has less power.
    I would expect the same performance regardless of the official numbers. I and I think others would argue the the T&C touring is better looking than the mono colored SXT. The touring has some chrome on the front grille, sides, and rear door. Packaged with the signature series the touring is a much better value than a comparable SXT. I am biased though ... just purchased a T&C touring signature series in midnight blue last night. Details on price paid to follow.
    2000 Rebate and 0%/5 years or 3500 rebate only. So unless you are paying cash the 2000/financing deal is best. There is no question that you can get a SXT or touring for much less than the honda/toyota. The SXT/Touring may not be as powerful/refined and not quite as nice inside as the honda/toyota but ... Is the honda/toyota $6000+ better/nicer? not in my opinion.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Consumer Reports never lists what they actually paid for vehicles. They only show MSRP's. Probably because price's paid varies across the country depending on region, vehicle demand, and negotiating skills of the individual customer. That plus CR wants you to buy their car pricing services, while Edmund's gives you essentially the same thing free.

I have always had a bit of a gripe regarding CR's testing and evaluation, as they never take into account actual cost of the vehicle when doing comparisons and rating vehicles.

That's why the truly educated consumer shouldn't just rely on CR, Edmunds or any other publications. Use all those sources, then come up with your own best choice, which should include out the door cost considerations.
    Sticker 32405.00. This was built before the slight price increase. Base 27440 + Signature series option 3715 + 3-zone auto climate 375 + power pedals 195 + dest 680 = 32405. Used DC affiliate discount which is 1% less than dealer invoice + 25 adm fee. 29948 + 25 adm fee + 169.00 doc fee + 6% state tax 1808.52 - 2000 rebate = 29950.52 O.T.D. financed 5 years @ 0% = 499.17/month. It has everything I wanted ... DVD, NAV, 6 disc changer, leather, moonroof, power seats ... except side curtain head protection airbags which is a bummer. You cant get this option on DC vans with the moonroof option. Why I dont know. Honda and Toyota offer it with moonroofs. I liked the honda and toyota better but after 5 years I would have paid 8000+ for the honda or toyota given no repairs out of warranty. I will take my chances with the T&C's average reliability and lower resale. I am satisfied with price paid. The best I could negotiate without the affiliate discount was invoice.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    This is for information purpose only. I checked DamilerChrysler Dodge's website and they have the 2005 3.8L V6 engine produces 215 horsepower at 5,000 RPM with 245 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM with sequential multi-point fuel injection.
    Thanks...Another example of Edmunds having very accurate data.

Edmunds also has very accurate, current data on prices to pay for a Chrysler Town & Country.
    Chrysler's T&C site says:

3.8-liter V6 engine produces a silky-smooth 205 horsepower at 5,200 RPM with 240 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM

And the Dodge site indeed says 215/245

Weird. Very weird