Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sis2sis2 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone knowledgeable about this answer please? There are 5 differences in the

LQ (Custom Lux) and the PT (Modern Lux) pkgs: Dynam Radar, Pre-Collision, headlight washers, pwr door closers, and laminated glass, all on the LQ pkg.

I'd like to know from a consumer point, what real difference would these things make in a driving experience, mainly the pre-coll and radar, I already assume the others are price- increase excuses.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Since this discussion centers around pricing & the purchasing experience, your question will get more attention in our regular Lexus LS forum.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    IMHO, the Modern gives the most bang for the buck. In the Custom, the pre-collision is a safety feature and doesn't improve the driving experience at all. The radar function only is relevant at all for highway cruising. First question is, how much highway driving do you do? Second, do you trust it more than you trust yourself?

The Ultra package adds benefits mostly for rear seat passengers. If I were being driven by a chauffeur and sitting in the back seat, I would go for it. But on the other hand, if I was looking for a limousine, I wouldn't pick an LS as my car!

That leaves either a base model or a Modern. But why spend this much for a car and not get the features that will be standard in even midrange cars within a few years-- before you're ready to trade in your LS? The Modern gives you the options that really matter and add a fun factor to the driving experience.

But all this is really a value analysis. If value is truly not an issue, the more toys the better-- so go for the Ultra, or the Custom, or the Modern, or the base model, whichever you can afford.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I will add my 2 cents to the dilemma, bought an 04 with Custom after debating the Modern for several months. Have ended up appreciating the difference for the self-closing doors, headlight washers personally. Kids had left doors open twice with my old GS that killed battery, now I don't worry. Dirt & grime off roads come right off with the washers, very handy with the melting snow and rain up here in the MidWest.

I've got the laser cruise and do a fair amount of interstate toll road to O'Hare and its great on the open road. I shut it down when in Chicago traffic, too much on & off throttle due to the dangerous cutting in of traffic.

I got a good deal on my car so the difference was much less than MSRP on the option package making it worth my while to upgrade. Fully agree with you about Ultra - couldn't see spending the extra just so kids could play, even though I have heard good things about the suspension.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    We bought a new '05 LS430 with the Modern Package because heated seats is something I have lived with for 16 years and still want in a car. DVD Navi wasn't necessary for finding my way to work, Target, and grocery store, nor are the expen$ive updates for it. The Modern Pkge is "enough" for us. This is still a nicer car than the '98 Avalon we had. :-D

OT as far as which package to buy: Considering the current thread of discussion on the basic Lexus LS forum, I'm glad I dug my heels in, got a car with 17" tires, and avoided the 18" like my research told me to.
  • pingpng50pingpng50 Member Posts: 16
    Hi all. first i thank all the posters. This board is very helpful to me. I hope to lease a lexus ls 430 in the end of may and will do so if i can find a good dealer somewhere who will price near invoice and get me 17 in tires. I gather lexus of rockville is a good place. I am interested in hearing from others who are considering buying in my time frame. maybe we can combine forces and get a good deal.
    No group buy solicitations, please.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

sorry. didn't know. I have since heard that dealers are very tough on deciding what is normal wear and tear at the end of a lease of a high end vehicle. makes me a bit scared to lease a ls 430.
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    Just purchased a '05 LS430, Modern Lux. Pkg., smart key, preferred accessory (mats, nets and locks etc.) and 18" wheels. MSRP 62,734 - paid $55,422 plus TTL. Very good experience with Lexus of Cerritos. This is a fantastic car!! I can see why people are having problems with the 18" tires. However, coming from a German car, the 18" tires do not bother me all that much. It would be nice to have 17" "stock" with decent rubber to find out what a true luxury ride is all about.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Unfortunately I'm in an area (East) with only one dealer. They might knock off 3K on a modern. I would definitely buy at that price. I've looked at different cars from Acura RL to Avalon and the 430 meets most of my needs. I would like that dynamic cruise though. Haven't driven the 18 inchers.

Around here the dealer wants $41.9K for an 2001 Modern Lux if you can believe that. The only new LS430s sold here with 17" wheels are the base models.
    Great price-- looks like you are the current Discount King on this forum. I think this is the first discount reported greater than 11% off MSRP on a Modern package (I paid $55,985 for mine, but that was back in October when the first '05s were just showing up at the dealers).

I also came out a German sedan (E320), so the 18" wheels haven't been a negative to me. But I have done very little high speed highway driving, and some posts on the LS 430 board about problems with the 18" tires at high speed have me concerned. Let us hear on that board if you notice any problem with them!
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Most Lexus Dealers aim to please...If you insist on the 17" wheels they should find a way to get them for you.

The Dealers in Ct, Maryland and NJ seem to have good prices..If you are scouting for a low milage 01 I would suggest checking Auto Trader then if you find what you want fly out and buy it...To be on the save side go through a dealer. Cars.com is another great source.
    Why not buy on the left coast and ship it back if the price difference is significant enough for you? Most dealers out here would probably work with you.

I just don't think that the RL and the Avalon (while both very nice cars) are in the same league as the LS. This is an amazing car. If you keep your cars for a long time, I would highly recommend the LS even tough it is thousands more. Over the life of the car, the few thousand is well worth it. Plus I believe the resale value of the LS compares more favorable than the other two. Good luck.
    I too came from a '98 E320. While I love my E, the LS is FAR superior than the E for not much more. You've got one heck of a deal considering the timing last year. With respect to my deal, I must tell you that the majority of the dealers that I contacted were not competitive at all. A handful was with in the ball park, sort of. Also, one of the most well known Lexus dealer in California (which shall remain nameless) had an attitude that I didn't care for and could live without.

Based on my limited experience so far, the 18" are fine at high speed. No problem. However, depending on the road surface, sometimes the tire noise is very pronounced. Also, at low speed, the 18" does not do well going over some bumps - very stiff feeling and loud thumps from the tires. As stated, coming from a German car, the 18" is not objectionable for me; however, I can see how Lexus may have missed the boat on this decision, i.e., giving up luxury for pure aesthetics and marginal performance improvement.

I know this is a bit off topic. I will follow up in the LS forum.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
    I posted my deal in the other forums and forgot to here. I bought my LS on Christmas eve here in MA for $55K (Modern Lux package with $37K for my '02 LS430 trade). I simply walked in an hour before closing time and did the deal. I had the old invoice from my '02 purchase (55.5K for NAV/ML package) and asked for the same deal. I might have done 1K better on the trade, but it had been painted so I didn't feel comfortable selling it privately.

SV
    I have now contacted 4 dealers--three over the net and one by dropping into the dealership and asking to speak with the internet person. Only one dealer has given me a price for what I want--LEXUS LS 430 with 17 inch wheels: without nav MSRP 58144 my price quoted $53,500; with nav MSRP 62734 my price 57700. I would like to order the exact car i want and get it delivered at the end of may. I am wondering if the navigation is now reliable and whether it is worth the extra money. It sounds cool but since i am leasing the vehicle dont want it to break. Any thoughts on my price? the nav? thanks
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I got a quote today on a 2005 Lexus LS430 with modern luxury and smart key. The sticker price is $62,734. A 36 month lease with 15,000 miles brought the price to $799/month (including 9% tax from PA). This included $1900 due at delivery which included the first months payment. I do not now know everything else included in the $1900 due at delivery fee. I know they used Lexus to lease the vehicle.

With this available information can you tell me if this is a good deal. I am told by the sales manager it is about $1000 over invoice.
    The Nav. is a very nice feature. If you are leasing for short term, i.e., 3-4 years, then the Nav. system would be under warranty for the term of your lease. I personnaly would not be concerned about the reliability on any thing in the LS.

With respect to the price, I don't know your local market condition, but in So. Cal, I bought the MSRP 62734 version for $55,422 plus TTL. For details you can see my prior post. Good luck.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Using carsdirect.com's numbers, LS 430 with modern luxury and smart key:
    MSRP $63064
    Invoice $55373
    Capitalized Cost $56373
    Money Factor .00205
    Residual Value 56%
    Monthly Payment $772.88 + tax = $842.44
    $1000 over invoice is 10.6% off MSRP, a good deal.
    I'm not an expert and these figures are approximations.
    If you want me to figure out your exact monthly payment, you must get from the dealer in writing-the MSRP, capitalized cost, the money factor and the residual percentage used.
    If you don't know how to calculate the monthly payment given this information, I will do it for you or write to Car_man(as I see you did already). He cannot work up a monthly payment for you without the MSRP, capitalized cost, residual percentage and money factor for this vehicle.
    Regards,
    hpowders
    I first got nav. in my 01 LS ultra...I will never own another car without it.

Mine has never had a problem. I updated the Disk in 03 and it was never a problem and a huge improvement....I understand in 04 there was a problem because of a change of companies providing the software (the Disks)...I think that has now been corrected.
    Dynamic Radar Cruse control is awesome...the Cruse senses the car in front of you and automatically keeps your distance by slowing and speeding you up to whatever your preset speed is. I didn't explain it well but it is one of my two favorite thing in the car the other is the GPS system....

Pwr door closers are great in that they keep you from leaving a door cracked and running down your battery...I like the feature...It also helps keep people from banging the doors shut....Headlight washers I hardly ever use..they are good if you drive a lot at night ...If Laminated Glass means the glass that automatically repells rain to the point where you can drive with the wipers if you want...I LIKE IT.
    Thanks Hp.

If my monthly lease is $799/month including tax, my MSRP is $62734, and factoring in my due on delivery "fee's" to be $1100 (1900-800) then does this help?

I will get the exact numbers you suggest Monday am.
    I bought the MSRP $62,734 Modern for just under $56K last October in Montgomery County, MD! So I have to say you've potentially got some more negotiating room. This assumes you are going for a car that is in stock-- and buying at the end of the month helps as well.
    No. I need the 4 numbers. MSRP, cap. cost, residual % and money factor.
    thanks. did you buy through lexus of rockville? not allowed to name salesman on board but you can name the dealership? or did you buy through lexus of silver spring? thanks.
    Lexus of Rockville. Feel free to email me (my address is in my Profile- click on my name in the "by" line) and I can tell you more about my experience.
    MSRP: 62,734
    Cap Cost: 56,344
    residual value: 34,503.70
    money factor: .00155

thanx
    Hey 00boxsters. .00155 is a very good money factor. According to Car_man, it should be .00205. That's 3.72% interest as opposed to 4.92%.
    Given these numbers, your pre-tax monthly payment should be $747.48. Adding 9% tax brings it up to $814.75 not the $799 you were quoted. But then again, $799 is better than $814.75.
    You could probably do better on the cap. cost. Yours is 10.1% off MSRP. People posting on this board have gotten as much as 12.7% off MSRP. (Check out post #162).
    Regards,
    hpowders
    Thanks HP,

Your calculations appear to be spot on. The dealer's first offer was for $814.77 per month. I called back and said the price had to be below 800/month and he agreed to offer me the 799/month. When I called him this am he confirmed the 799/month but must have given me the original data points for the 814.77/month deal.

Am I correct in presuming that this lowers the cap cost to (35 X 15 = 525 - 56,344 =) 55,819?

That would be 11 % off MSRP then.
    Hey 00boxsters.
    It appears the dealer gave you a cap. cost of $55,850. Working with this number and your other stats gives a monthly pre-tax payment of $732.99. Adding 9% tax comes to $798.96.
    Yes. This cap. cost is just about 11% off MSRP, a good deal. Especially when combined with a very generous( for Lexus) .00155 money factor-even better than the .00165 Lexus was offering in their "December To Remember" promotion.
    Good luck with the car and let us know on the LS board how you like it.
    I hope I do as well when I go LS430 shopping this August.
    Dealers, are you listening?
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Laminated Glass: I believe that laminated glass refers to the "door glass" in that it makes for a quiter interior because the glass is thicker. Windshields are always laminated. The passenger and driver door window glasses are treated to repel water. Hope I'm correct on this?
  • ryansssryansss Member Posts: 1
    Folks:
    I am looking at leasing a new LS430 in San Francisco. I would appreciate if anyone shares their wisdom to some of my questions:

1. What is the approximate License + title + other fees I should expect for the LS430?

2. Is 55% a standard residual for a 15K miles, 36 month lease?

3. Is the 8.25% tax calculated on the Capcost - residual OR is tax based on capcost only?

Regards,
    Ryan
    Congrats Ryan you are certain to love your new LS430!

Check out the lease deal I got in Penn. listed just above.

I believe 55% is the standard residual. My tax in PA is 9% and I had the modern luxury package plus smart key.
    Windshields are always laminated. The passenger and driver door window glasses are treated to repel water.

I've been curious about what this "laminated glass" really means. I always assumed it meant one more layer of glass over the original, in order to make it thicker, so I did a google search and this website explains laminated v.s. tempered glass:

http://www.auto-law.com/CM/PracticeAreaDescriptions/PracticeAreaDescriptions58.asp

I really don't think Lexus' laminated glass is any different from the type in this article. Lexus probably bangs their drum about it so we feel better about the price of the car. I truly do not think Lexus Laminated Glass means rain-repellent. I have not noticed any difference in our '05 LS windshield from any other car we've driven, either, until I put a coat of Rain-X on it.

The Lexus dealer tried to sell me all those nice add-on aftermarket packages (you know, undercoat, dent repair, wheel/rim insurance, etc., "ka-ching"...) and one was a special coating on the windshield that would last 3 - 5 years, the equivalent of Rain-X, for a few hundred dollars.

I passed on that "opportunity," as I did all the others, since over the next 3 - 5 years I would only spend $15 on Rain-X.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Rainex. I take it from your post, you are very satisfied with "Rainex". I used it on other vehicles in the past, but have not used it on the LS430 yet. Guess I didn't want to do something that I would be sorry for later.
    You can buy an LS 430 with modern luxury package for around $55,000.
    A similarly equipped GS 430 will cost you just under $58,000.
    Even though I liked the driveability of the GS, I would go with the LS because I would be getting better value.
    No wonder the first Lexus salesman tried very hard to convince me that the LS was not for me and the GS 430 was. He even lied to me and told me they stopped making euro-tuned LS's in 2002. Yet I drove a 2004 euro-tuned LS a few days later at another dealership!
    Hi All,
    The list on the LS is $62,700 for the Modern Luxury package. I paid $55K due to being a repeat buyer and time of year. Usually they settle around $56.5. Also keep in mind this is a fairly old car now. (Sept 2000) Discounts are more generous now than they would be with a new GS model. Give it 18 months and you'll be able to get a GS for less. Also keep in mind the LS is the flagship and built to a higher standard than the GS.

The LS has a permanent water repellant coated glass winshield, at least on the Mid grade model. My 2002 with ML/Nav had it. The Ultra has it everywhere.

SV
    You may want to think your deal was special, but quite a few people obtained their ML LS 430's for around $55,000 also.
    Given the selling prices of the LS 430 vs the GS 430, I would have to call the LS a screaming buy at this point in time.
    "I would have to call the LS a screaming buy at this point in time."

I most definately agree with that!!

So, is the LS430 on your short list to purchase now?
    Hi All,
    The only reason I felt I got a good deal is because I was also trading a car in..Normally you get a better deal with no trade. The other dealers were willing to let me walk at $20,500 differential between my '02 and the new car. To get full Kelley value for my car (which had been repainted, fender and bumper replaced) was a good deal. I "paid" 55K based on the $37K trade in value for my car. I paid 55.5K for my 2002 which listed at $61,700.

Normally you don't get 12% off a Lexus car, at least not in my 13 years of buying them. They normally will go up to 10% especially here in the Boston area. Their attitude is that they can sell it to someone else. I don't know how price aggressive they are elsewhere.

SV
    Yes but my BMW lease is up in 4.5 months and with that car and 2 golf carts taking up the garage, I will just have to wait.
    See post #162 on this thread. 12.7% off list. No trade.
    Modern luxury plus smart key for $738 per month(including 6% tax) leased for 3 years, 36,000 miles.
    RGSW:

you don't need Rainex on the LS430...A similar treatment is already IN the glass.
    I could tell a difference after I put Rain-X on our new '05 LS windshield, after driving it for 6 weeks without. I also put it on the rear window.

I've used it for 15+ years on cars and not had a problem with it. The glass has to be really clean before applying it. It does wear off with time. My car is garaged 95% of the time, so one coat lasts a long time.
    To talk about your ownership experiences, please join our regular Lexus LS topic so we can reserve this one for pricing/purchasing conversation only.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• georgevettegeorgevette Member Posts: 15
    Thanks to this site and the potential price differentials between the LS430 and GS300, I have switched buying to focus on the LS430.. I went to Lexus to BUY a GS300... It did not take long to discover that exactly what was discussed on this board was taking place.. At this point in time the LS430 is certainly the best 'buyable' Lexus value compared with the GS300.
    Again, thanks to this excellent discusssion group for getting my head turned from just focusing on the GS series..
    You can get a comparably equipped LS 430 several thousand dollars cheaper than a GS 430 right now because the Lexus dealers are selling the GS 430 at MSRP.
    I had a deposit on a GS300 George. It was that I did not fit comfortably in the GS300/rwd and that was notwithstanding the drivers footwell hump from the AWD which was not yet available to test drive.

The better value and extra bells/whistles were just a bonus to the cavernous room inside and the trunk.

I keep saying it but how can the Lexus website say there is more headroom in the 2006GS than the 2005LS?!!!
  • mitch5mitch5 Member Posts: 5
    Wow this chat line is a great tool. I'm about to purchase an LS430 from the dealer and I'm wondering if other Texas purchasers, preferably Dallas area, are actually getting discounts off of MSRP of 10-11% as I've been reading. Texan's are car crazy and I'm concerned that the discounts may not be as large here. Thanks for the input!
    good luck tex. perhaps you ought to go into the dealership with the pretext of loving to get a 2006 GS. Sit in the car and complain about the lack of headroom and then ask to sit in a nearby LS. Tell them you would settle for the LS -with an 11% discount of course;)!
This discussion has been closed.