Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jjhavardjjhavard Member Posts: 3
    I have a '96 LS400 and will be buying a used LS this fall. What difference is there in gas mileage between the LS400 and the LS430?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Lexus has a "December to Remember" sales event at the end of every year. Does anyone know whether they have a similar sales event in June?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Hi jjhavard,
    This particular discussion is generally frequented by those who are seeking vehicle pricing & dealership recommendations. You'll get a better response to your mileage question by posting in our regular Lexus LS discussion, where those who currently own the vehicle can share their experiences.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Just curious-- are any folks looking at purchasing the LS cross-shopping with the new Infiniti M? It wasn't out when I bought my LS last fall, but interior space (especially back seat) seems almost comparable (although the trunk, especially if outfitted with a full size spare, is certainly smaller). The GS seems to be significantly less roomy than the M. And the M35X, although only a 6 cyl, gives you a AWD option not available on the LS. Or you can go the M45 route and get an 8 cyl.

The M is certainly sportier than the LS, but that would have been a plus from my viewpoint.
  • jthekjthek Member Posts: 4
    Where you able to buy the Lexus LS430 at these prices - $59,191 for a custom, and $57,050 for a modern? What dealership?
    Thanks.
    What was the best price you recieved on the Lexus LS430 at Lexus of Rockville?
    Thanks.
    I paid Lexus of Rockville $55,985 (plus taxes, tags and title) for an '05 Modern, Smart Key, 18" wheels (list $62,734) on the last day in October 2004, when the '05s had been out for less than a month. No trade-in, no lease-- just a straight-up cash purchase.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    There are excellent LS deals out there that can be had with just a little legwork.... and there are some really bad ones too.. example: a local dealership had an ad for an LS with premium pkg and smart key -$599 plus tax per month for 48 months with over 6K (!!!!) due at inception -- WHAT A JOKE! Their big thing is that a year's worth of gas is included for "free" at that price.

I hope potential buyers know that by just paying an extra hundred a month they'll knock off 12 months from the term, get into a modern lux with smart key AND you'd only have to fork over around $1500 to start the deal. They can KEEP the "Free" gas!!!
  • luvsnewcarsluvsnewcars Member Posts: 2
    How much did you pay for your LS w/ UL? They've quoted me $68,000 for a UL here in New Orleans and $58,000 for a Modern Lux w/ Nav and Smart Access. I know the Modern Lux is not a good price, but what about the UL?? I'm looking to buy before the end of the month.
  • luvsnewcarsluvsnewcars Member Posts: 2
    I am. I've driven the M35, and am going to drive the M45 tonight. The sound system is incredible 14 speakers that make you feel like you are in a movie theater. I am not kidding. The price is also extremely lower. I'm not sure by how much yet, haven't gotten into negotiating. Will do tonight.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    You don't like the car?
  • bennychbennych Member Posts: 8
    Fabulous. My third LS and the best except for the seats. Can't quite get comfortable on long drives in new ventilated design. I'm a big guy and am sensitive to seat comfort. Most folks love the seats and find them an improvement.
    No buy/sell ads in the Forums. Thanks.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fun1fun1 Member Posts: 18
    Aggie76, i got me remote engine start installed via a third party introduced through the Lexus of Rockville dealership. They took the originaly key and coded it with remote engine start. Also gave me three extra remotes to turn off the engine and open the door. I use the remotes in conjunction. There isn't much need to remote start the car in nice weather, but it will come in handy in winter. I am trying to find the business cards for the vendor that did the install.
    Thanks for the info on Lexus of Rockville pricing. Anyone else have info on prices paid int he Wash DC area?
    Lexus - What is December to remember? Are there really better prices at that time?
    So don't keep me in suspense, give us your impressions of relative merits of the LS vs. the M (M45 or M35X particularly)! It doesn't seem like there is much price differential on a decked-out M45 (since the discounts are still pretty small) vs. the LS Modern (with the high discounts available).
    My understanding is that the program can vary from year to year. Last year it was basically subsidized loan and lease rates. I am not sure whether there were any extra dealer incentives from the factory, but I don't think there were.

Of course, the dealers themselves are using the traffic brought in by the promotion to try to beef up sales, and they likely have sales goals for the month and the year that they are trying to meet, so that may help the deal. But a lot of people have found the end of every month a good time to press for a better-than-average deal. It certainly worked for me.
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone paid for their LS 430 with a credit card to be eligible for airline miles? Seems to me it would be a nice way to earn a free airline trip.

Thanks
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I tried to do this, when I bought our '05 LS in Dec '04, and was told by the dealer that they would only accept up to $2k of the price on credit card. For the dealer, it is usually somewhere around a 3% discount at the bank they have to take. That's a big chunk out of their profit, and somebody (the buyer) has to underwrite their "Cafe Lexus" waiting area with all the nice pastries, Starbucks coffees, etc. while our cars are in the shop. :shades:

Since our area dealer is the only one for 200 miles around and sells a car that is very popular in our area, they pretty much write their own ticket. I did not get the great price discount I see others post here, and had to really dig my heels in to get the price I paid by promising to 'walk' since I was willing to buy a used Lexus from a local reputable used-car dealer. The price I paid was the TMV shown here on the Edmunds site for our zip code. I cross-checked it with other dealers in zip codes 200 mi. from here and I would not have gotten a better deal. Therefore, I will always buy locally if the price is the same or close, and the seller has a good reputation.

If you can find a dealer who will accept full payment on a credit card, go for it. Any merchant/vendor is allowed to upcharge you for the discount, I believe, as long as this is disclosed before you agree on a price or pay for the product.

Usually before any price negotiating I start on a car, I tell them up front how I plan to pay for it. I don't pull punches and have always been treated fairly. If you negotiate a price and then whip out a credit card without asking their policy, you may be out of luck. . . or a new car.

Finding any retailer who will accept a CC for a large ticket item anymore like a car or boat is getting hard in this economy. Many universities & colleges now refuse CCs for payment of tuition because they cannot afford to lose at the bank with the discount.
  • jpingjping Member Posts: 1
    I shopped extensively in the Va., Md area for an LS and got the best service and price at Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria. They were by far the most receptive to my offer and had the best selection of any of the dealers.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Has anyone paid for their LS 430 with a credit card to be eligible for airline miles?

I was allowed to put $5,000 of my purchase cost on my American Express Card at my Lexus dealership in Southern California. Surprisingly, they were quite happy to do it.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "Has anyone paid for their LS 430 with a credit card to be eligible for airline miles? Seems to me it would be a nice way to earn a free airline trip.

Thanks "

Usually dealers will only charge up to a few grand on credit cards towards the purchase of a car. Charging a $50K car on a credit card would cost the dealer a additional $1K to about $2K in credit card fees. That ends up killing alot of the profit they make on a car.
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    All I've seen by Lexus is a 4.10% interest rate for Lexus' except the LS, GS and SC.
  • minivanmama1minivanmama1 Member Posts: 28
    Any advice what salesperson to ask for?
    We don't allow that information to be exchanged - just dealership, city & state. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mck28mck28 Member Posts: 3
    The best price I've been quoted by internet from Houston dealers for a LS 430 with Modern Luxury, Smartkey and 18" wheels is 59K. I saw that some people paid below 56K. Any suggestions on what I should do?
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    mck

Texas is not the hot bed of low prices...Try California...(Longo Lexus in So. Cal) or the Mid west...

The mrs and I flew from Seattle to buy in So. Cal....the savings was about $4,000 which more then paid for the trip which included spring training in Arizonia and Brice Canyon in Utah....Sort of like buying the car and getting a free vacation..

The Lexus people were great..Picked me up at the Airport, LAX and Ontario are the two best choices....I took delivery hung around for a few days visiting friends ...Which worked out because I took the car back to get a couple of the pre-set functions changed...(The Lock and unlock of the Doors, that kind of stuff)

No problem at all with my local dealers...although the car really hasn't needed any serious service...(The 15 and 30,000 mi. checkups and replacement of the radar cruse that a rock hit)
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone any experience purchasing a LS 430 thru CarBargins?
    Anyone can suggest a venue for getting a decent price for an '02 LS 430 w/ UL package in DC area
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I just got done helping my brother-in-law find one...

Suggestion: ULs are very rare and Very difficult to find...Especially a nice Low Millage one...and double especially if you are stuck on a specific color... I Used, Cars.com and Auto Trader and called dealers off the Lexis Elite Dealers list. I would recommend against limiting yourself to just the local Dealer.

You will be helped greatly if you search the whole US or at least a substantual region...the problem is I think it would be a little hairy buying from a private party, If you need to fly somewhere to get the car So you will not get the super price from a dealer you can get from a Private Party...On the Plus side a nice 02 will be Certified (like a 3 yr new car warrenty with road side service and the whole deal) when you get it from a Dealer.

I thought Prices were Pretty good in the Maryland area and the states surrounding it..the mid-west had some of the better prices I saw...Lots of low milage cars in Florida..

I own a UL and am really happy That is what I bought, even though it has equipment I do not use...(all the rear seat stuff, Very nice to show to friends and relatives) ...It also has my two favorite features ...Laser Cruse and GPS...(be sure to upgrade the GPS to the 03 version, cost about $275 it has more then 5 times the data that the 01, 02 version has )

Finally these cars are so sound michanically it will be tough to find a bad one..The biggest worry would be one that it was in an Accident. Edmonds has a site (I forget what it is called) that can check any car for problems and Accidents (you need the vin #) As I recall it costs about $25 Bucks and well worth it for the piece of mind ...mandatory if you get the car from a private party...or non Lexis dealer

Good Luck.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The backlight screen is broken - otherwise it's good. My favorite feature is the air conditioned seats - something my Navigator has, that I don't want to give up. But they are rare, indeed......
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I thought this thread was about prices paid and buying experiences. :confuse:
    Yup, let's take the non-pricing issues to the Lexus LS or Lexus LS Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Well, ahem - excuse me! I can get it for $50M. Sorry my oversight upset you all.
  • stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    After some nightmare negotiations with Porsche dealers regarding the Cayenne S, I decided to come back to my "buy with your head" brand. Started to look at the GX and LX, but then noticed a beautiful LS in silver metallic w/black leather.

The salesman was very cooperative and after a test drive (just my wife and myself-didn't even have to ask for this), we decided to seriously consider the LS. It is an Ultra w/radar cruise and just about everything else. MSRP is 74650 and he immediately offered 2500 over invoice. We sat down in his office and he said to wait and see if he could do even better after talking to his boss. I countered with 2000 over invoice and he came back with, get this, invoice price.

My wife and I have a policy of never accepting an offer, no matter how ridiculously good it seems, without sleeping on it. But $63945 for an MSRP of $74650 equals 14.34% off. There were seven or eight Ultras on the lot, so maybe that's why the deal was so good. But we stuck to our guns and told the nice gentleman we would decide the next day. He did not go into histrionics and claim that this was a "take it now or never" deal. He was clearly disappointed but I figure if the deal is good today, it will be good tomorrow.

Most likely, I will be buying the car tomorrow. I know it seems weird to go from a Cayenne to an LS, especially since I am 37 and my wife 31. But I know I will be getting a great and reliable car with impeccable service from everyone there. Now I just need to clear out the clutter in my garage to squeeze in another car..

By the way, the dealer is Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, CA. Easily my best experience of any car dealer so far. Hope this helps.
    if that deal is good tomorrow...... It's a good one.
  • stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    Deal was good, except we decided to save a few thousand and buy a Modern with Smart access. MSRP 63284, purchase price 54409 or 14% off.

Just drove it home and it felt wonderful. Dealer was pretty good with financing at 5.5% for 60 months. Hope to enjoy this car until the new car bug bites me again.
  • tt2tt2 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an 01 LS430 and loves it (me too, the car that is). I have a 98 E320 MB and I have to say it has been a great car--gets 30 MPG on highway. But I want an LS430 now so can someone tell me which is the best all-around year to buy disregarding price?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I've got an '04 so I may be a bit prejudiced here but it was the last significant upgrade in equipment on the LS so it would seem to be the best option IMHO. I really like the technology that was added, from the 6-spd transmission to the adaptive headlights and everything in between. I am planning on keeping mine for many years and in 15,000 I've had a pleasure filled experience.
  • ytxytx Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping for a Certified Pre-Owned LS430, probably from 2001-2002 as I can only spend $35k or so. Do you folks think that's a good idea?

I'd appreciate your buying and ownership experience of a CPO LS430. In particular, how to negotiate a good deal? Say if a 2001 CPO LS430 is listed at $38k, what would be a good target price?

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience. If this is discussed somewhere else, please let me know.

YTX
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    "how to negotiate a good deal? Say if a 2001 CPO LS430 is listed at $38k, what would be a good target price?"

Your best bet is to use the edmunds.com website, pricing for used vehicles. I have found it to be accurate for every car we have purchased. You have to enter your zip code so the program knows what cars sell for in your area, as well as the mileage of the car you are looking at.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi all,
    I think a Pre-Owned LS is a good bet. My only worry is the reliability of the electronics such as the Navigation screen which I believe is not covered in the Certified Warranty. Otherwise I can't think of anything you should have an issue with. $38K for a 2001 sounds somewhat high to me. My dealer offered me $37K for a 2002 Nav/ML with 25,900 Miles on it when I traded it. They listed it for $44.9K and probably sold it for around $40K. I'd shop around some more. The '02 has larger wheels 17" and I'm sure a newer Nav disk, but this can be updated too.

Hope this helps,
    SV
  • ytxytx Member Posts: 2
    I understand that Edmunds.com offers three sets of prices: retail (presumely the dealer listed price); private sale; and trade-in (whole sale). Given that some have bought the new LS 430 at or near invoice price, would that apply to a CPO LS 430? Or we are talking about a different rule here.

I understand that the actual condition of the car determines the price. Just want to get some suggestions before I start to negotiate with the sales person.

Thanks.
  • goyoneuffgoyoneuff Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,
    I'm very impress w/ Lexus quality and started looking for one couple of weeks ago. Doing research here and there, testing, autotrader, google, etc. Looking to pay around 15K I found ES300 and they are pretty good deals. Now, my boss is selling his LS 400/96/54K. He doesn't know yet about the price, but it will be probably around 10K or so. Question here is if an almost 10 years old car like this will be giving me a lot of trouble with maintenance. I know Lexus has a very good reputation in reliability and that this car only has 54K on it, but still, it's 10 years old and I think rubbers, joints...etc, start to crack and to ask for changes. I imagine at this point I cannot buy a warranty or something, therefore, I'll be by my own on paying anything it might need. It's in very good shape, only minor things like the stereo system console is getting crazy sometimes and doesn't show correctly FM stations, and a little hit on the rear bumper when my boss's mom was pulling it out the garage. Other than that, I think it is good and it has been under good maintenance schedules.
    Any help, insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Currently we have a RAV4 2005, which is basically our family car, or should I say, my wife's car. Now things are getting tight, and I need another car to commute and do errands.
    Thanks to all, and have a great day, :)
    K.
    Since your question is about a pre-owned vehicle, you'll get a better response by posting in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Just click on my link to get there.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• greg31lgreg31l Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my 3rd LS and my 8th Lexus. This time my car had the optional built in Serius radio as part of the audio package. I love everything about the car but the radio only shows 10 characters per line for the Title and Artist of a song. The audio screen on the Nav system has pleanty of room more information. I called Serius and they said it was a limitation by Lexus. Does anyone know why a $480 option can't do what a $49 radio can?
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone have any experience buying in the tri-state area: NY, CT, NJ? I am in Fairfield County, CT and would like to find a dealer to offer me 12% on a custom luxury. Thanks
  • alyssatfalyssatf Member Posts: 4
    My husband and I have decided to buy an '05 LS with ultra luxury pkg. We live in St. Louis, MO, but are willing to travel and/or negotiate with dealers outside our immediate area to get the best deal. Is it reasonable to expect to pay at or near invoice price (read post by stomp) since the 06's will be out soon? How do I go about getting price quotes via email from dealers outside our area? Any specific dealers I should contact ? Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.