Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Please tell me the name of the dealer...I would pick up that car in a heartbeat for my son.

It is a very good price...Assuming the car is certified and in excellent condition.

I truly would like the name of the dealer....I am looking for an 04 and he sounds like someone who would be good to deal with.
  • dnbhatiadnbhatia Member Posts: 3
    Hi meandmycar, is it possible to get ur dealer name and contact person you are dealing with? I am in market for '04 LS 430 also. TIA
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Naming a dealership is okay, but contact information is a no-no. See explanation at the top of this page.
  • gitarzzgitarzz Member Posts: 5
    I bought the LS 430,and it is CPO. The dealer was Germain Lexus of Easton, in Columbus, OH.
  • carnutincacarnutinca Member Posts: 35
    The best time to buy a Lexus is December (remember seeing all the ads). From Jan to Feb it is difficult to get a good deal because the supply is low. March gets better, but wait until the last week of the month if possible. Also, please note that posts from Southern California are not indicative of the entire US. The LA market is hyper-competitive. We have tons of traffic but at least it's a good place to buy a car, especially a Lexus.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I'm in Chicago, and ordered a Flint Mica Ultra in late December. I don't know if the price was good because of trade, but what you say about Jan/Feb must be true. Here we are in March and my dealer hasn't delivered the car. In fact they don't even know where they're going to get it.
  • scottw57scottw57 Member Posts: 3
    I just started to look here in Atlanta...so far best price is $2k off MSRP of $61,939. I must do better! Any recommendations from the folks here in Atlanta? Dealer that will deal? I have a trade so out of state purchase will be hard to do. Thanks.
  • ftherafthera Member Posts: 3
    Purchased my 03 LS430 in December of 02. It is a base LS430 White/Ecru with sunroof, climate control seats, chrome wheels, and gold package.
    I paid $52,995. + tax and lisc.

I do think that December is the month to buy. Lexus sets the following years allocation for dealers, based on what they have sold and delivered by Dec. 31.

The absolute best price I got for the same car was from the internet sales manager at Lexus of Riverside ($52,680)invoice plus $700. Several Cal. dealers were within $200 of this price though. I got my local dealer in Minnesota to do the $52,995. by asking them to match the internet deal, and I split the difference on what it would cost to ship the car from Cal. to Mn with them. If they wouldn't have come close I would have gotten one from Cal.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I'm replacing my '91 LS which was totaled last week. I'm looking at two right now, a '95 and a '98.

A dealer has the '95. It's pearl white and immaculate, especially considering it has 100k. The only options I'm certain about are traction, heated seats and factory phone (which is not much use<g>). The salesman said he thought I could get it for about $11.5k.

An individual has the '98. It's black with 71k and also perfect. It has traction, Nakamichi and a gold package. He's told me he needs just under $19,000.

I haven't negotiated yet with either party. How do these prices sound?
    Hi oac - you should check Edmunds TMV on these vehicles by clicking here and you might also want to ask the helpful folks participating in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. They are very knowledgeable about the market value of used cars.
  • bambam Member Posts: 5
    Well I finally decided to take the plunge. I just purchased my first Lexus, a 1999 Black Onyx over tan LS 400 with 93,227 miles in show room condition. This was a one owner vehicle with every scheduled maintenance done, even the 90K.

This car is amazing! I finally see what everybody means when they say "Lexus quality". I have done a months worth of research on this vehicle and it's seems I can get another 1-200K out of it - as long as I treat her right?

I look forward to leering more about this awesome automobile.
    Hi bam - welcome, and congratulations!

I hope you will join us in our ongoing Lexus LS discussion to share your experiences and talk about your car with other LS enthusiasts.

Good luck and have fun!!
  • viskhaviskha Member Posts: 35
    I have been offered a gold '01 LS430 with Navigation, Mark Levinson, 51,000 miles for $37K - it is a certified pre-owned vehicle. Is this a good deal?
    Viskha:

I follow the prices pretty closely...It is a very good deal...I am assuming since you said it is certified that you are getting it from a dealer.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Hey guys - feedback appreciated.

'04 LS Blk & ivory with Modern Lux, Sport, 18" wheels, LM, WL at 10,500 miles for $53k -- good deal or not??? Have chance today (4/24) to make a deal.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Take it - just try to get them to extend the warranty if you want to hold long-term. You'll love the sport suspension and this 2004 is a dream car. It handles great with the sport as well. The car looks great in black. Will they lease it to you? I'm telling you - the 2007 LS is something every LS owner will want - so you may want to get yourself set for it. On the otherhand in 2007 this car will be worth in the high 30's so it'll cost you about $14k for 30-40 months of driving a sport LS. Anyway - that's how I'd look at this. Only issue I'd have is why is it available?

Let us know here or the LS board what you do.
  • psouthernpsouthern Member Posts: 1
    Forget about what you think is the "Best" deal, and focus on a "Fair" deal for both you and the dealer. Lexus is the finest automobile in the world and a tremendous value if purchased for MSRP. Let the Sales Associate make a fair living and quit being so cheap. You didn't get to the point of buying high-line automobiles without making a profit!!!
    Sqeeze for the best price you can...The salesman and dealership are professionals and well able to take care of their own profits....
  • patrick2patrick2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a great experience with Countywide Lexus in Hollywood Florida. The salesmen was Wayne Summer. I met over the internet with their great price and then I became a repeat customer because of good service and price. I priced all over. They were by far the cheapest.
    Thanks guys, went and looked it over yesterday in heavy downpour. Not exactly what I was thinking of in ride quality, fairly rough. Not sure it was tires, suspension, or normal ride as I didn't take time to check tire pressures in the rain. Think I am going to hold for now as he will have another one coming in with about the same miles without Sport soon that is Blk/Blk. That Ivory interior is not the best looking for me.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I bought custom lux but was hunting for the sport. it's not easy to find. A friend has the 2004 sport and it rides very quiet and smooth and nearly as good as the base suspension. I'd be surprised if you find otherwise on that next one they are getting in.
    Made the decision on the LS - Custom Lux, SmartAccess in Moonlight Pearl and Ecru interior. Great opportunity at Lujack Lexus using the Internet Contact person in Davenport, IA with a terrific discount off MSRP of about 9%. I've been chatting with them for a long time and finally decided to make it happen. They are terrific here and have serviced my GS since moving here almost 2 years ago so the relationship is there.
    Wow, had some time to go through my owner's manual and just keep finding amazing things about my new LS. Took family for a long ride last night and all are just overwhelmed with comfort and quiet of it. Am so glad I decided to stay in the Lexus family.

Delivery experience was ok with dealer. I still rank the experience I had in getting my first Lexus at Superior Lexus in Kansas City as the finest. They had an interior room at the dealership with the car in it; decorated with chandeliers, couches and easy chairs, carpet, mirrors & music. The room was dark when we entered with music and the lights rose up as we stood there. They had soda pop and non-alcoholic champagne to celebrate the event and we spent as long as we needed to go over options, etc. Then when we were satisfied the curtains at one end parted, doors opened by remote and we could drive out.

Having taken delivery of new car in all weather conditions this was, and 7 years later, still the best experience. Don't know if Superior is still at same location but they sure did it right.

Dealer here was excellent in the entire buying experience and the car reflects that too.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Looking at the LS430, when you go to Lexus.com and "build" your car you will get different option prices per market/zip code. Example in Dallas the PM package comes with the smart access
    when you enter that zip code. Riverside California
    pricing for the PM package is all together different and results in a lower price car. Mainly because you do not have to pay for the smart access. Anyone know why Lexus markets this way? Looks like $1500 over invoice is pretty standard.
  • wil1688wil1688 Member Posts: 16
    I am interest in a 04 LS430 with either a modern luxury or custom luxury package. Anyone know what kind of price/discount can I get in New York area? Dealer recomendation? I dont mind to travel up to 100 mile for a good deal....thanks
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    1500 over invoice? Not in Tampa Bay! I was quoted $57,200 for LS 430 with premium package and smart key which is $5500 above invoice. Carsdirect.com's target price is $54,766 although Edmund's is just under $57,200. For leasing this vehicle they want 5.9% interest even though I have a 747 credit score. This is way out of line in today's low interest rate environment. I told them "good luck!" since I could buy the vehicle and with my credit score pay under 4% for 36 months and with so many other dealers out there, do better on the price. I disagree with one of the previous posters who must either be a car dealer or is married to one-that we should sympathize with the poor dealer who after all is only trying to make a decent living.We must shop around to get the best possible price even if it means going to or emailing or calling every dealer within 300 miles because as you can see Lexus of Tampa Bay was not looking out for ME! {The difference between 5.9% and 3.8% on my lease deal is $86.40 a month for 36 months($3110.)}
    Try the Miami area. I got a $1250 over invoice price by just calling the fleet manager over the phone. Also please note if you go to Lexus.com and price/build your car you will get different options and pricing depending on the zip code you enter. The PM package means different things in different zip codes. In Texas you are not offered the PM package without the smart access. However enter an California zip code and you can order without. Got to make sure you have apples and apples.
    Thanks cove148. Yes I already "built" my Lexus on the website. In my zip code you cannot order the premium package without the smartkey. Wow! $1250 over invoice sounds very, very good! When I emailed the web guy at Tampa Bay Lexus about my dissatisfaction with his figures, he changed his tune and said those were just "preliminary" figures because I was only "just looking." Yeah and if I accepted his original deal, he would have stopped me because his figures were just "preliminary." I really appreciate your input.
    hpowders
    I am also interest on the 04 lexus w/custom luxury package in NY area,anyone know, the normal markup over invoice on this. thanks
    Is that the Kendall dealership?
    Thank you.
    hpowders
  • essess Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Custom Luxury in the NY area recently. I paid about halfway between invoice and MSRP.
    Looking over the ls430 today from 2 different dealer in ny area,
    both dealer claim they donot have the custom luxury in stock, will take 6-8 week to have one order, plenty w/the modern luxury. Question? should i hold out for the custom lux, or save 2 thousand and get the modern package. thanks..
    I made similar decision about a month ago and have not regretted getting the Custom Lux one bit. The laser cruise is a pretty slick option and I use it fairly often. Door closers are also beneficial as I had two dead batteries from kids failing to close rear doors completely on my old GS300. I was able to negotiate pretty effectively and just paid a couple points over invoice so I felt the difference was small but they had the Custom Lux I wanted available with a Modern at the same time. Not sure I'd want to wait 6-8 weeks to get one, I'd think they could dealer trade much faster.

Either way, both are great packages on a fantastic car.
    Thanks, I will try to hold out. Wait 6-8 weeks now, enjoy the feature for the next 6-8 years. At this point, $2k is a small sum in a 60k car. The discount, I am getting is around 4k. Would you mind to share some of your negotiate tips?
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I have decided to purchase an LS430 and started negotiating with my dealer. He has an '04 coming in this month in the color combination and options I want. The car lists for $58,599 and he is willing to discount the car about $4000. At first I thought this was a very good price, but because I trade every 3 years, resale value is pretty important. When I checked the trade-in value of an '01 LS430 and '02 LS430 on the KBB website, I saw that the '02 was about $4425 higher than the '01. I assume the difference in value would be about the same between the '04 and '05 in 3 years. So unless I am able to buy an '04 LS430 for $6000 or more below MSRP, I don't think the '04 would be as good a deal as the '05

I hope I made some sense with this logic, but I would appreciate some feedback. Also does anyone know when the '05 models will arrive at the dealers or when Lexus will begin accepting orders? I assume the '05 will have minimal changes, if any, since the '04 had the face lift and the added 6 speed transmission.

Mike
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I doubt if the dealer will offer as good a deal at the first of the "05" offerings. They will be trying to move the "04" models if they have any left.
    I was able to negotiate pretty fairly by being direct and honest with my expectations on pricing. Be sure you know what you want and be up front with the dealer. This includes invoice, financing, etc. This has been my tactic for last 6 cars and never fails.
    Thanks for all the feedback, I am now having my dealer searching for a mercury metallic with black interior ( custom Luxury ). Hope to get it real soon.
  • busterbuster Member Posts: 1
    THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION. I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF NEGOTIATIONS NOW SO FAR GETTING LOTS OF DIFFEREBT $ AMOUNTS. LAST NITE I TEST DROVE A 2004 LS430 WITH ULTRA LUXURY AND RADAR AND UPGRADED ANALINE LEATHER THE MSRP WAS 71,898 INCLUDING FREIGHT THE DEALER SAID HE COULD SELL THE CAR TO ME FOR 67,500 WHICH IS 6000 OVER INVOICE DOES ANYONE THINK I CAN MAKE A BETTER DEAL?? BY THE WAY I DROVE THE AUDI A-8 AND MERCEDES E 500 AND THE LEXUS OVERALL MAKES THE MOST SENSE AND IS A BETTER CAR AND VALUE( PLEASE HELP!!!!!)
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $68K even for an 03 LS 430 Ultra with chrome wheels, wheel locks, trunk mat and gold package. I found some out of state cars a grand cheaper but would have to pay $600.00 to get the car shipped in. The difference wasn't worth (to me) not buying from a local dealer.
    Hope this helps.
    Buy it, drive it, love it!!!!
    Ron
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Are there any special interest rates available or low money factor lease programs?

Just curious if either of the last 2 posts have lease deals that they would share.

thanks
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    I sold my previous car privately and paid cash for my LS.
    Ron
    Mike,
    Let me know if you get the $6000 discount. Best I have done is $5000 on the same package you are looking at, with minimum negotations. You maybe be able to get it now that we are getting close to model end.
    I think if you put a check in the front of them at month's end with the $6K off, you will own a new car.
    Good luck.
  • hsmyers2002hsmyers2002 Member Posts: 7
    I'm a Mercedes owner who switched to Lexus because of poor reliability. I replaced a '97 E420 Sport with an '04 LS430 Sport.

MSRP was $62,409 (Modern Luxury + Sport package + Smart Access). Price paid was $56,656 from Crown Lexus in Ontario, Ca. Exterior color was Mercury Metallic. Interior color was Black.

I was happy with the price, but my buying experience was not what I would have expected from Lexus. Crown's original quote was $57,097. We settled on $56,656, and then they tried to locate the car. Turns out the combination of silver and black with the sport package was hard to locate. They located it on the boat, traded with a dealer in AZ., and got the car 3 weeks later. So far, so good.

When I went to pick it up, it didn't have the sport package. I had printouts of our email correspondence, so it was easy to prove that it was their fault, not mine.

I was beginning to wonder if this was a bait and switch, but two weeks later they delivered the car they had promised. Turns out the $56,656 price was for the non-sport model, so you probably won't be able to do better than $57,097.

BTW, Longo Lexus in El Monte quoted exactly the same $57,097 price. Tustin Lexus never gave me a quote, and Westminster and Mission Viejo were a few hundred dollars more. All of my negotiations were done via email.

The car is wonderful. I really made the right decision.

I also bought an extended warranty. I think the retail price was $2225 for a 6 year, 100k mile, platinum $0 deductible. I paid $1700. Seemed kind of high, but that's all they would do. Even though I was buying a Lexus, there was no way I was not going to get the extended warranty after my nightmare with Mercedes!

I used this site extensively in researching what I should be willing to pay for this car. Thanks to all who take the time to contribute to this site!
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Cograts on your new ride. Did you get a chance to test the sport package first? I cannot find a dealer here who has one. I've been going back and forth between an S430 4Matic and LS430. Love the tech goodies of the LS, the super reliability and lux interior of the LS.

Love the look, sporty handling and stature of the MB plus all wheel drive.

How does the sport package change the car in your view?
    Car ( LS430 ) is on order, lets hope I can get it real soon. In the mean time, I do have two question. What do you guy think of extend warrenty for this car? Is it worth to get it,even though Lexus is suppose to be very reliable. And if so, How much is reasonable?
    Secong question, What are some of the default setting, I should have my dealer set, for the car. Thanks again
  • hsmyers2002hsmyers2002 Member Posts: 7
    I friend of mine bought the same car about 3 months ago, so I had several opportunities to drive the car. The ride is wonderful. I was used to a very nice ride in my E Class, but this is much better. I really don't see a down side to getting the sport package.

It's hard to describe, but I think the sport package makes a big difference in the looks of the LS. Without it, it seems a little on the bland side, with it, it just looks sportier (well duh, it is the sport package).

My car was parked today, and an S430 parked next to it. The LS Sport wheels are virtually identical to those of the S Class (the same 5 spoke design).

Reliability was really important to me. My E Class cost a fortune. Between 60,000 and 100,000 miles I had about $8000 in non-routine maintenance repairs. Because of that I didn't even think about another Mercedes (or BMW).
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Suggest you post your question regards extended warranty insurance on the LS430 to the "LEXUS LS" forum. I understand you can defer your decision on extended warranty until three years or 36000 miles (whichever comes first) and still purchase from your Lexus dealer.
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Which was the better generation of LS400 -- '90-'94 or '95-'99 ?
    What should I look out for when checking out used LS's ... especially since they are all at or above 100kmi? I know the LCD on the early LS's tend to burn out ... what else can I expect to find?
    Thanks.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    This conversation may be better for "owners club"or "maintenance" board. Let's try to get back to Prices Paid and Buying experience here. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.