Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Accessories

lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
I checked with two local Kia dealers. They all said the Kia side step bars are just came in. My dealer quoted $450 installed. And another dealer quoted $345 plus $77 labor ($422 total).

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Was there a question in there somewhere or was that just an announcement?

You might try posting in the Kia Sorento discussion.

tidester, host
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    No. It was an information for any Sorento owners who may be interested. I was trying to tell the part has been delayed and finally here at your local Kia dealers.
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    lok was just imparting info that will mean a great deal to Sorento owners (myself included:-).
    Yes. It is about time to add a new discussion. We are driving this for almost 10 months now. Companies are expending their product lines to Kia Sorento. I will post my comments and experience here for the side step bars.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Great! Then have at it!

Not having owned or driven a Sorento I'll rely on your judgement.

tidester, host
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    trim package? I was getting my Sportage's left rear power window motor replaced the other day and picked up a brochure that covers Sorento toys sold and sometimes installed by the dealer. The trim package was for the taillights and side mirrors and also they offer some chroming for the inside of the cabin that looks quite cool. Anybody bought these things yet?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and parts of the interior trimming? The best looking part of the chromework was on this beautiful new SUV's taillights. Really looks great IMHO. Installation looks easy with no hardware required and a "snap-on" installation approach. I'm sticking with my '01 Sportage 4x4 and loving it but with this hot looking chrome taillight accessory you can get for Sorento, well...hummm....they're doing it again! The headlights look great straight from the factory as they are IMO.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• hecnyhecny Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone purchased accesories from Cobra or T&H. I am interested in step bars/running boards,and front and rear protective gaurds for the bumpers. I came across these two companies that make these accesories for the Sorento. I have a Silver EX, and can't decide if the stainless steel finish, or the black powder coat would look best. The difference in anti-corrosion warranty is, 10 years for the stainless steel, and 3 for the black powder coat, So the stainless steel which also cost about 20-25 percent more seems to be the better alternative. Any advice,opinion, or experience would be greatly appreciated.
  • slan_canadaslan_canada Member Posts: 54
    I have the T&H Step Bars; They are very beautiful.. I have the Stainless Steel Finish ones.

See pics of the Step Bars at my site:

http://www.powow.com/mysorento
    Thanks, they really do look very nice. This is one item that I want from T&H, but I am not crazy about the front gaurd. The rear single pipe guard is not bad. So my dilema right now is that I may have to mix products. The T&H steps, and rear pipe, and the front gaurd from Cobra. I am hesitant to do this because I don't know if the finishes will be close enough.
    Did you put those on yourself. It's supposed to be easy.
    I am also shopping for the side steps for my Sorento. I have no experience on installing this item. Do you think the stainless steel will last longer? I have seen many SUVs with black powder coating side steps, running boards and front guards (mostly factory accessories) have rust on them once the coating has scratch. Any suggestion?
    loK888,

I made that same observation, SUV's with the accesories in the black powder coat finish. After a few years, you can see the rust forming. That's why they are only guarenteeing them for three years. The one's Slan_Canada has,look great.
    I agree with you on the stainless steel. I first thought the stainless steel is a bit too much (too bright?) for the car. But I am getting used to it after seeing more Benz ML, Toyota Highlander, RAV4 with them.
    No, my dealer installed them.
    I just replaced the stock radio antenna rod with this Euro-stlye "shorty" one with the same good or even better radio reception. I first tried to unscrew the stock rod. I probably unscrewed the annetnna mast instead and broke some connectors. It caused a poor radio reception. This time, I just unscrewed the rod. Better reception?? Yes. I drove by the area with high rise buildings nearby. There is no effect on both AM and FM stations. And it was worst with the stock annetnna. BTW, I bought this from ebay. I wish I know how to download from pictures of my Sorento.
  • iamru2iamru2 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone found a front end bra for the Sorento? I've been looking but have had no luck. I've seen pictures with European models with them. Thanks - Chris
    Does anyone have experience with getting a security alarm installed in their Sorento? I'd like one that arms and disarms when the doors are opened/closed, including the rear window. If you know the manufacturer of the system and the basic cost, I'd appreciate the info. I live in the SF Bay Area. Chris
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I am looking for a good alarm system as well as for the bra try your Kia dealer. They offer one that looks pretty good.
    Chris - Did you check out the front end bra at your local Kia dealer? I would rather put those 3M clear productive tapes for automobiles. I have seen those on the front end area and side mirrors on BMW and Audi. For the alarm system, I want to install one with remote starter before the winter comes. The guy at my local auto stereo place (not Best Buy or Circuit City) told that is going to cost me $350 installed. I think it is made by Python, one of the Directed Electronic products (www.directed.com).
    I believe I heard reference to the Python alarm before. And I guess I will check a dealer for the front bra. I'm not familure with the protective clear tapes.

Chris
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Car front end protective bras & film discussion for info on the clear tape, aka, film. It's nice stuff, but still pricy.

Steve, Host
    For my understand, you can't just buy a roll of film from them and cut on your own. Every set is pre-cut. They also recommended a professional installer like some auto glass and window places. I heard the cost of the film (for front bumper, hood, rocker panel, mirrors) is about $300 to $400 or more. It looks nice and maintenance free. But for the same cost, I can probably paint my bumper twice.
    Just for curiosity, I checked out the Xpel website for pricing. For my Sorento it's about $297 for the hood and $297 for the bumper. This is just for the material, no installation.
    It is still pricy. It requires advanced installation skill. I actual have a small portion of these tape or film on my 2003 Toyota Camry near both rear passenger's doors and rocker panels. They are pretty much stick on the surface of the panel. My dealer told they are installed at the factory. And for this product, I don't know if insurance will cover it for car accident unless you show them the receipt of the installation.
    hciaffa - I just ordered a complete set of the window deflectors from WeatherTech. I also ordered another set for my other car (03 Camry). This saved me some shipping. I hope this is too late for the season. And I hope the weather will permit me for the installation. Will post message about it.
  • benjamin_ngbenjamin_ng Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a set of 4 VentVisors by AutoVent from ebay the other day. Installed it on my Sorento and noticed that I have a lot more wind noise than before. The noise is very noticeable if speed is over 50mph. Anyone has similar experience.
    I need to run a 12 Volt power cable from the Sorent's battery to under the driver seat to power my ham radio.

Is there already a hole I can use or I need to make a hole myself from under the hood to the inside of the car ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
    benjamin - See my previous post. You should try the one from WeatherTech (www.mats.com). I just ordered a set for my Sorento and my Camry. They cost twice as much as the Auto Vent but without taping them outside the window frames. You just insert them inside the window channels. You need to tape the rear set inside the channels. BTW, I have the Auto Vent on my Accord (car sold). I have no problem about it but the tape had been peeled off. And I had to remove the vent for power window motor & regular replacement on the Accord.
    As long as the temp out side is in the 70's you should be able to attach them especially the rear one with the tape. If you done't have a garage then do it outside and leave the Sorento in the sun to heat up the rear windows. As per the instructions you will have to run the windows up and down several times to seat them and then they must be kept closed at least overnight. I put mine on in April and it was still cool here in Ct. Like I mentioned I did notice s slight wind noise from the from drivers window when we got the Sorento but after installing the visors the sound was gone.
    By the way this have a slight gray tint and when look at the Sorento head on or from the rear they are so thin that they hug to the window and give no silouette. I also read in the last advertisement in a Motor Trend mag that they have a darker tint so you may wnat to ask for that. I am happy withthe light gray tint. I matches the tint on the windows.
  • ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    I'm sorry here folks, but I have to ask a question. What is the purpose of the Window deflectors? Is it to make your car look like a cheap aftermarket parts showcase? Is it because you think these things look good? I've never ever seen these stupid devices look good or be effective of anything!

And my only argument is this. If Kia....and Ford and Audi and Ferrari and etc, etc.....thought these devices were effective at anything, don't you think they would include them?

Yeah...you are going to have more wind noise...your adding a device to your car that lessons its arodynamics.

Ok...there...I got that off my mind. Thanks ;)
    ivygrnsorento - I would appreciate your positive inputs and contribution to the community. But I occasionally see posts like this. I hope you understand that you are in "Sorento: Aftermarket & Accessories" board. And having these aftermarket or factory items installed is a personal choice. Back to the window deflectors. It is not a stupid device. You can low the window down a bit for good air circulation during rainy days or hot summer days or even for the smokers. And hicaffa said it reduces the wind noise a bit. I hope we all enjoy our Sorentos in any ways. :-)
    I hope I will have them by the end of next week. They are in back order. For the installation, I don't know if the overnight cool temparture (60s) will make it difficult. But I see you did it back on April with no problem. And do you know if we have the H1 bulbs for the fog lights?
    In may case the wind noise went away. As far as making them look cheap I don't think so I think it enhances the the look as these from weather tech are not as pronounced with a large flare as the other aftermarket ones or even Kias. Now for the fact is that many manufactureres offer these for their own autos GM, Ford andAMG Chrysler, but you have to pay for them as an option like anything else. Effective yes they allow you to drive during inclement weather withthe window open slightly or leave the car parked with the window open. I would have to say it's the owners choice on whether he wants to hang pom poms on his auto or fuzzy dice.
    hciaffa - I remember you linked me to the Sylvania website for the light bulbs spec. I don't recall seeing anything about the fog light. Any idea whether it is H7 or H1?
    I think that the fog lights are H3 but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone can confirm ?!
  • lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    Benjamin... A couple friends of mine installed lights and sirens on my Sorento and had no problem finding a couple of different choices for holes to run the power wire through. My siren amplifier is under the drivers seat as well. Also, I have heard that you really don't want to make your own hole through the firewall if you can at all help it. Good luck.
  • rocketpoprocketpop Member Posts: 2
    You guys may want to check out invinca-shield. I bought and installed the standard kit and the mirrors for about $170. I installe it myself last night. I also have an invinca-shield kit on my MINI Cooper.
    slan_canada - Thanks for the info. I guess I have to remove one of the bulb to see what type. I already replaced the low (H1) and high beam (H7) with MTEC super white bulbs (MTEC bulbs are made in Japan with the same rating as PIAA). They run 2x brighter than the stock bulbs but without burning any wire and draw extra wattage. In addition, I did some upgrade on front, rear turn signal and back up bulbs with super white bulbs.

rocketpop - Any more info about the paint protective tape/bra?
    Sorry no idea on the fog light type I think you will have to take one out to see the type.
    What is the purpose for the siren. Did you have a alarm system installed. If so what brand was it as I am trying to find one for our Sorento.
    I have to take one out and see. It is kind of tricky to replace the fog light bulbs which is inside the front bumper. And slan_canada probably right about the H3. Maybe I can tell you more info on aftermarket car alarm. I probably need one installed before the winter comes. The most popular models are Python, Clifford and Viper by Directed Electronic, Inc. (www.directed.com). Most models come with ignition controlled door lock (for cars with power door locks) feature which allows you lock the doors automatically once you turn the key to "ON" position (maybe reduce chances of carjacking)and unlock doors when you turn off the engine. See my posting in this forum.
    I used Autovent Ventvisors for my 96 Villager and it has been working great. Just a little bit of wind noise, no big deal.

When I bought the set for Sorento, I also bought a set for a 03 Honda Pilot and that set did not create much wind noise for the Pilot.

Yesterday we had a little rain in the bay area of Northern Calif (of course, after I washed my cars on sunday). I open the windows a bit and let the air in without getting wet. I think it is a good idea.

About the look, I think my Sorento looks nicer with the ventvisors installed. Will post a picture later.

lilac0422 - Thanks for the info. I am sure there are some holes that bring the 12V power into the cabin. Just don't like to push a wire through without knowing what is behind it.

Thank you all for comments.
    I think fog lights is standard on EX. When is the switch for the fog light and what is the light color of the factory fog light.

Since I am going to bring 12V inside the cabin, I am thinking (might not happen) of installing a set of fog lights too. Should I get a set with color such as yellow ?

Thanks.
    Benjamin
    Yes fog lights are standard on the EX though I have toadmit I don't care for the switch position place on the same stalk for the regular lights. I would have prefered them on a separate switch on the dash as manyo other cars do with an indicator light.
    if you are putting your own in yellow or amber is better in fog.
  • lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    I work for a local ambulance service as an EMT. I need to have the lights and siren so that I can get to the station quickly if necessary.
    rocketpop - Nice pictures with the side step bars. I saw more pictures of your Sorento (interior) with aftermarket DVD player on www.sorentoclub.com. Those headrest LCD monitors look good. But I couldn't see where you put the DVD player. BTW, my Sorento just passed 10,000 miles on the clock.
    rocketpop - I am not sure if you have the luxury package. There is an amplifier under the driver's seat. And I looked at some pictures from other Sorento owners from other countries. Some removed the coin box & ashtray and make room for the DVD player. Anyway, how do you like the DVD player? Any other upgrade on the factory stereo system? Can you play CD or radio in the front and play DVD in the back like those SUV and minivan with factory installed rear entertainment system.
    If you interested in upgrading your Sorento, try www.tomatoanp.co.kr (Korean with some English) and click on the picture of the Sorento-T. It costs $160 (including the painted mesh grill and emblem), shipping is extra.
  • jblighjbligh Member Posts: 4
    Any ideas for my new Sorento for an aftermarket Exhaust / 18" Wheels / Grill? Any place in the US to purchase these items? I could really use the help if someone has any ideas or suggestions..