Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jvosjvos Member Posts: 91
    Last week, when I was in ordering my 09 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 Platinum, I was asking the dealer if he was able to continue to sell trucks. He had a very interesting answer. He pointed out that tradesmen - painters, construction workers, etc - continue to buy trucks just as they always have. According to him, that makes up 70-75% of the truck buying population. But, he said the suburban business man who just likes trucks is who is being affected by gas price and the economy.

So, I think Ford and others will ALWAYS sell trucks. They just aren't going to be able to sell at the volumes they have for the past several years.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    If Ford cannot sell at the same volume it used to sell, then it must reduce production. This mean low profit and high prices. The companies that must purchase such trucks must pay a high price even for regular stripped cab. Ford on the other hand will lose because they won't be able to sell a King Ranch for example at same price they are selling when the production is high, oil is cheap, and the economy is booming. I see many auto companies going out of business if they don't change the way they do business now and I afraid it may be too late. This is not a recession, it is more than that. It is also global which make it more difficult to control in the near future. I believe Ford is doing very well but it is too late. A smart stategy should have been adopted a decade earlier. I had a feeling of something going wrong before at least 4 years. BTW, the auto market will suffer a big blow during the next few months.
  • rcoketguyrcoketguy Member Posts: 13
    The Reg. Cab STX I bought was a 4X2, had the sport package (that was why I got the $2000 package discount). Looks like those same incentives are still there.

I love the F-150 over the Ranger I had, except for the 3 mpg drop in gas mileage...
  • wallskmwallskm Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an '08 Lariat with Chrome package, Audiophile sound system, Captain's chairs. MSRP $36,500 and Price Paid $26,300. Did everything through the internet sales department. After this experience, I don't think I'll ever walk into a dealership again to negotiate.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Thinking about buying a base XL regular bed(6'?) V6 5-speed air conditioning. MSRP will be something between $19,000 and $20,000. What are the lowest of low prices going on these?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
  • pam6pam6 Member Posts: 2
    Got a pretty decent deal on a XL V6 Automatic, AC, with 8 ft. bed ... it worked out like this - $14, 500 (got the $6000 rebate!)
  • smartfanaticssmartfanatics Member Posts: 14
    I am looking to purchase a very similar car. Can you please give additional details on the deal etc. Please let me know if this is easier over personal email.
    thanks in advance.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    trades men will always need a truck.
    the question is 'are they buying trucks'

the short answer is 'No'.

People in the trades are feeling the slowdown as much as anyone out there.
    When you have a fleet of trucks sitting idle you start getting rid of them.

There are alot of used trucks for sale.
    Car salesmen are trained like dogs to always make it out like their cars are selling well and you better commit now because they won't last long. It's the oldest trick in the book and is even used in the worst of time - unbelievable really.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    I know it's a reach but... bought a boat and need a tow vehicle. After looking at used 4Runners and the like I see I can get into a truck for the same price and still get better mpg day-to-day. I'd have to trade an 07 Mazda car, does anyone know if that's eligible for loyalty???
  • justinhenryjustinhenry Member Posts: 1
    2008 XLT Super Crew with the long bed. Dealer said they had extra incentives to clear out the long beds (6.5) over the short beds (5.5). It was a base XLT with $100 rims (didn't have a choice on those). Sticker was $31,500. Paid $18,998. Dealer also discounted after-market leather. Total out-the-door was $21,500 for truck, leather, and tt&l. They have two more on the lot at that price (or maybe cheaper now). I purchased November 1st with offer carried over from end-of-October deal. Online the incentives from October just carried over until November 18th but the "special incentives" dealers have might have changed.
  • boovilaboovila Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a 2008 F250 Crew 4x4, its for my business so I just need the xl, What prices are people getting for this, just to have an idea what price to shoot for.

thanks
  • braggonbraggon Member Posts: 8
    I hate to say it but if your a working man like me who doesn't have money to burn it makes a whole lot more sense to buy a used truck right now. Over the past two years people have been dumping them for cars with better gas mileage. Especially the ones that bought them cause they were in style and didn't really need a truck. So now there is a glut in the market of 1-5 year old trucks for cheap. For example I just bought an 06' F150 XLT Supercab, 4x4, tow package, heavy duty payload pkg, 6-cd, power sliding window, fog lamps, the whole shebang for $10,300 otd for $11,600. I priced a new one and the sticker is 37k so you could probably buy it in the 25-28k range but why would you?
  • boovilaboovila Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice, getting a little annoyed with people wanting too much for the used trucks, just have to keep looking i guess.
  • braggonbraggon Member Posts: 8
    Np, The best thing to do is search online that's how I found mine. You can use carmax.com as a baseline but you can find them cheaper. Cars.com and autotrader.com are good sites too, it just takes some patients. What part of the country your in might play a part too, I'm in middle Tennessee. It took me about 6 months to find the one I wanted but I wanted an 8' bed and they are hard to find these days.
  • cappieluvcappieluv Member Posts: 1
    The manager at the dealership has been driving this truck and it was all dirty inside and has 1600 miles on it. The MSRP was $44,000. I just don't know if this is a good deal or not. IT is 4x4 SuperCrew, Short bed, Lariat, Rear Backup camera in mirror, rear parking assist (beepers), keyless entry, homelink on visor, moonroof,

Please advise. Our truck was wrecked and we need to act soon. Thanks!
  • tampa2tampa2 Member Posts: 18
    The best way to find out is to send e-mails to dealers with similar vehicles in stock, tell them you are going to buy a truck very soon, and ask them for their best offer. If another dealer will match or beat the price for a truck with no miles, then you know you either have room in your current deal or can go buy one with 10 miles. My guess is there is room. When I bought my truck I had to go to several dealerships, just like when I bought my wife's Honday Odyssey. I usually e-mail like 10 dealerships' internet managers, they get back right away with pricing and most times will deal very honestly on the phone. Good luck!
  • jmarcinkojmarcinko Member Posts: 2
    I'd have to say no deal on that price.There are still a lot of 08F150s on the lot and I would think that they could move easily in to the upper 20s on that truck! Think about after all it is still used.My advice would be to negotiate over the phone trust me it is less stressfull then going down there in person.Also when you give them a price that you like always start real low and then maybe come up a little.Also keep in mind Ford needs to move vehicles now more than ever hope this helps.
  • ddownddown Member Posts: 6
    Truck Stickered 33500 got it for 24300 including tax,plates,registration.
    Has 4X4, towing Package, Keyless entry, Not a plain Jane. It's a sweet ride Already have side steps, truxedo on it. :D
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    Ddown,
    COuld you give the price before TTPL. Tax vary from state to state. Just wondering how much off you got from sticker.
  • ddownddown Member Posts: 6
    19800 :shades:
  • fstephensfstephens Member Posts: 2
    During recent football broadcasts in the Tampa area, there has been a commercial saying F-150 Supercab, sticker $33,865 minus Employee discount (they are selling at Employee price), incentives and promotions ($22,200) ending in final price of $10,685, Has anyone seen this commercial and know WHERE the sale is taking place. Also, is there an assumed $10,000 down payment or is the dealer matching the Manufactures Incentives and Promotions.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Just guessing, but it is probably the other way around..

Discount of $10,685.. and a final price of $22,200..

Otherwise, you can count on some serious fine print... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jtassinjtassin Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a similar vehicle as you, 08 Lariat / Chrome / Super-crew, MSRP is 35,712. What should I expect to pay with the current employee pricing and incentives, this is my second F-150, plan to trade in my 05 super cab XLT. Thanks for you help
  • hdfanatichdfanatic Member Posts: 4
    sticker was $32450. Paid $20098. This was a Texas/Oklahoma edition with the chrome package. Interior is pretty basic, but the outside looks fantastic with the running boards and chrome bumpers. This was at Billingsley Ford of Ardmore in Oklahoma. Dealership didn't even put up much of a fight. They had the price of $22500 after rebates. Told them I wanted to pay no more than $20k and they came back with the price above. Very easy. The interest rates aren't that good right now, but I'll refinance in a couple months.

They also had a 2009 Nissan Titan crew cab, stickered at $30500, for $19900 on the window. I couldn't believe that price either.
    Anyone know what Ford plans on doing on incentives post Jan 5, 2009? I haven't heard or seen anything, anyone in the know please expound! Thanks in advance.
    Last night the Platinum I ordered in Sept was finally ready for delivery and I traded in my FX4. I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Short story, the Platinum is a WOW! vehicle.

Both trucks are 4x4 5.4L screws - the FX4 was a 5.5' bed and the Platinum is a 6.5' bed.

Let me start by saying I really, really liked my FX4. Good truck, very reliable. Liked the styling. Served its purpose as daily commuter and weekend hauler, with an occasional journey to the hunting grounds. Having said that, I find the Platinum better in every way.

Styling
    =====
    I've read where some feel the 09 isn't enough of a new model, but I have to disagree. When I showed up at the dealer, my Platinum was parked between an 08 F-150 and an 09 F-250 - I thought it looked more like the 250. It's hulkier, with more 'shoulders' and a tougher look. It also feels like a more substantial truck. I really like the updated design cues. Also, at least with the Platinum, the chrome on the tail lights blends in nicely.

Interior
    =====

OMG is the interior nice. (FYI, my 05 had cloth interior.) The materials are top notch. The leather is butter soft. In fact, my wife, who happens to drive a brand new BMW 3 coupe commented "wow, this leather is nicer than my car!" Also, the buckets are much nicer, they feel like they hold you and support you SO much better. LOVE the extra space in the back and the flat floor with the seats folded.*

Performance
    ========
    The 6 speed trans makes a HUGE difference. Smoother and quicker. I occasionally felt the 5.4 was a bit underpowered with my FX4, but the 09 doesn't feel that way. It is VERY smooth though, so much so that if you aren't watching the tach and speedo, you might not realize how quick it is. BTW, I got the 3.73 limited slip as - when I need it - I want my truck to be a TRUCK. Don't believe some reviews about the F-150 being underpowered - it might be on a dyno, but not on the road.

Gadgets
    =====

The Sony-SYNC-Sirius audio-NAVI is without a doubt the nicest I've ever used. I think its well worth the $2400. Why? Its not only excellently designed, its all integrated. For example, you can sync your bluetooth phone with your cell phone, download your phonebook, select a number, lookup the address from the number, and chose it as a destination on the navi. Then the navi will watch traffic for you and direct you around tight spots. The 700 Watt Sony sound is very, very good. Another cool thing that blew me away, you can receive a sms text message and have the system READ IT TO YOU! And, of course, you can do all this with voice commands (which I admit I haven't mastered yet.)

The tailgate step is awesome, the side steps are great, the stowable bed extender is excellent and the cargo management system is sweet. And, of course, the retractable side steps are so bad @ss!

Dealer Options
    =========

I got three. A remote start - yes, on a Platinum without a problem, a spray in bedliner and a trifecta bed cover. Can't think of much more I could really add. Of course, is a Platinum, so already comes with lots of goodies.

CONS
    ====

Only a couple of things I don't love. First of all, couldn't find the tire jack and neither could the dealer! Second, with *the Sony system there is a large subwoofer under the smaller rear seat - meaning the entire floor isn't flat. That said, there is still a ton of room in back. And the deep bass is worth it.

Again, all in all, I'm very happy. Oh, btw, my fully loaded Platinum was a pretty good deal too. Paid just over 41 on a truck that stickered at 50, once all the incentives were applied. They also gave me a fairly reasonable trade allowance for me 05, although I did have to eat about $1000 on it.
  • fxshenatefxshenate Member Posts: 5
    I am on the hunt for a Ford 150. There doesn't seem to be too many if any at all 08s in stock in the Philadelphia area. The prices I am given on the 09' F150 Regular Cab XL 4x2 with MSRP of 21,395-22,035 ranges from $16550-$19,769. What would this particular vehicle go for in this market? Has anyone purchased recently a base model? Thanks. :confuse:
  • capguy87capguy87 Member Posts: 1
    To get the best deal on any new truck. Always remember these things.

1. Know exactly what you want prior to walking into the dealership.
    2. Have a reasonable expectation of what the vehicle is worth by research.
    3. Pick out a vehicle in stock
    4. Be courteous in your negotiation process
    5. Actually be willing to buy the vehicle you were looking at.
    6. Dont waste any ones time, including your own. If you want a truck buy a truck.

FORD TRUCKS HAVE EMPLOYEE PRICING UNTIL 1/12/09
    GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Geez..

This sounds more like the directions to keep your salesperson happy.. not how to get the best deal.. :confuse:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What kind of discount would i be looking at for an 2008 F-150 Screw / Lariat/ 4x4 that is a demo with 8k miles on it? Vehicle is new and can this discount be in addition to what Ford is currently advertising, i've heard .20 cent per mile?
  • truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    I'm looking at a brand new, 2008 F-150 FX4 extended cab, No leather interior, but loaded up pretty nice. Sticker is $36,000 and they're offering it to me through the commercial "truck center" for $26,000. I ran a few rough estimates on the value of the truck after I hit 1,000 miles (roughly a month after owning) if I were to buy it. Retail would be $25,400 and private party is in the $23's....

What should I offer them?
  • concreteman1concreteman1 Member Posts: 11
    So many post on the F-450 that are not good!. Hope some one has some good new for F- 350 , has the same 6.4 motor like the F-450 any problems anyone!!!!!
  • concreteman1concreteman1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to purchase this truck it is a 2008 with 14752 miles on it .
  • ARVAIARVAI Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy an F-250 XLT with towing package and powere everything. What is the going price for one. Thanks John
  • mitcheldmitcheld Member Posts: 12
    Looking for advice about purchasing a new 2008 (not 2009) F-250. I'd like Crew Cab, 4x4 and must have A/C and the towing package; power windows etc not necessary. I'm trying to get it about about 26,000 plus tax. Is this rational? I'm willing to do the work and negotiate hard. Anyone know what rebates, offers, etc are current now? Are there any reputable discount internet dealers promising "X plus incentives under invoice" like Towne in NJ does for Hyundai? Thanks in advance.
  • john520john520 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 2009 F150 4x4 XLT. I've done my homework, picked my options, used Edmunds TMV pricing and I'm ready to buy. Living in Montana, it seems there are few trucks available. Is this true across the US, or just here in 4x4 country?
  • davidduckdavidduck Member Posts: 1
    What prices are people paying? I'm looking at a base-model XL... just basic function is all I am after. Trucks list around $21-22k. My calcs show dealer cost (invoice - holdback) to be around $18.7k. I've seen somewhere reference to $500 factory to dealer marketing support (may have been on KBB site). Deducting that leaves $18.2k as their breakeven.

So I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any dealer cash (i.e. factory to dealer incentive or kickback) on these trucks?

Ford is discounting the truck by $5500 in customer cash if you finance with them but do not allow 0% rate (apparently). $13.2 is not bad for a brand new truck, but I don't like the dealer walking away with $1000s of factory cash if it is there. Are folks letting dealers make a profit these days or are dealers taking a real loss on these? (Real loss = below invoice + holdback, assuming no dealer cash.)
  • deadwinddeadwind Member Posts: 1
    Got quoted $5000. Good condition. Haven't test driven it yet. Just wondering if that's a fair price. Can't find it in Blue Book, too old.
  • sml175sml175 Member Posts: 2
    List was 34,915.00, down to 31,715. Then rebates. Pretty loaded, tow pk,audiophile, alumin painted whls, pwr st, pwr mirror pk. good deal?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I purchased an '07 new for 13.3. Was a real deal. I could have bought the truck on the A Plan (employee price) but this was 1700 less than that. Grab the deal. Mine is the basic XL with the V-6 engine 5 speed. I love the truck. I have done a lot to it and fixed it up. Looks sharp.
  • pchamelpchamel Member Posts: 3
    Looking to see what the going price is on a 2009 F150 King Ranch without TTL. I live in the Southern NH area. Thanks
  • webwanderwebwander Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2009 in Feb 2009. Gave 17,000 for it. Just An XT Long Bed, Reg.Cab 4X2 Silver/Platinum Metallic Color 17" Plain Wheels, V8, Cloth Seats. in Oklahoma. Didn't want to haggle too much, David Stanley Ford in Oklahoma.
    Did hav CD Player that plays MP3s.
    Happy so far.
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    Hi Jvos, what did you end up paying for the " 09 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 Platinum" if you dont mind me asking. I was looking at King Ranch or Platinum. I havent hit the dealerships yet but would love to know what others are paying for King Ranch or Platinum.
    Hi Mugenex -

Paid just over 41k on a truck that stickered at 50, once all the incentives were applied.
  • riserriser Member Posts: 10
    I want to buy a Ford F-150 Platinum, but several things don't add up. 20" wheels for a truck? and nitrogen in the tires? Come on, this doesn't pass the sniff test. why did they make these changes. I just finished driving a 2000 GMC Yukon XL - drives nice, comfortable, looks good, but it has had everything replaced at least twice and ball joints 4 times, transmission is going out, steering column, tie rods, etc. in 200,000 miles. Then I find out Ford won't offer the decked out version (Platinum) with standard size tires and won't use regular iar in them? So do I trust Ford or not? Is there an honest American Truck Mgfr out there?
    I'm trying to make up my mind which Ford F-150 truck to buy. I've read the reviews, but is there anyone who owns a Platinum that isn't satisfied? Is this truck worth the money? Or is the XLT or Lariat more sensible? I've given up on GMC and the Yukon XL and don't want to go with Toyota or others.
    Wow, you really lost me there. The Platinum is the 'tricked out' version of the F-150 - which implies certain items. If you don't want those items, start with a Lariat and build it just the way you want. Not sure what you mean to imply dishonesty. And if you have something against nitrogen in your tires, let it all out and fill it with air.

My guess is you aren't really asking legitimate questions, just trying to make some specious claim.
    Only you can decide what will make you satisfied. Sure, an XLT or Lariat is more sensible - so if that makes you satisfied, then buy it. If you want the top end, go with the Platinum.
  • tampa2tampa2 Member Posts: 18
    I thought the platinum came with 22 inch rims, not 20's, like my 2007 Harley Davidson F150? The rims look nice - I can't figure out why would anyone buy the platinum version and then want stock 18 inch wheels?? I agree with the other posts, you should look at the F150 that best fits your needs, and if you like it stock, then buy stock.
    Excuse me, but if I lost you, then why did you bother responding. I thought this was a forum. I asked a few questions and expected answers, not some smart mouth.

I was trying to see if this nitrogen thing was a gimmick. And I've found that it is.

I was trying to find out if people really are happy with their Platinum F-150. Still don't know because people like you try to intimidate others so they won't make an attempt to tell their side of the story.

And the biggest reason I sent a note was that I was sick and tired of the hassles in buying a vehicle. Just wanted to hear from others. I'm not going to waste my time on this forum; I'll leave it to smart mouths like you.