Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    Finally getting 8 back tomorrow....been some round and round on parts...Mazda sent wrong one over...never fely like I was getting straight answer...from Alstate preferred body shop, but they went to bat for me when asked and then things sped up a lil... we'll see Friday!
  • 96tahoe96tahoe Member Posts: 1
    Hey "vtlc". Regarding your squeeling or noise on your brakes, it sounds like a condition my wife had on her 8. She brought it in several times and the dealer said nothing was wrong or they couldn't find nothing wrong. However!! Finally they really looked at they resurfaced or smoothed out the brake rotors and now it doesn't make any noises. We did not have to pay for this since the car was still under warrenty so...maybe tell them to do that and your problems may go away. Not sure about the others you explained b/c don't have those probs.

later
  • vtlcvtlc Member Posts: 25
    Just got my car back from shop and here is what happend. Brake noise they said it is normal for a 12k mile car to have some brake squeak/squeal, nada done on brakes. Tick noise from clutch when depressed and releasing, noise was verified comes from under the car, said it was normal. They could not duplicate slight grinding noise when car is in gear, like clutch is not releasing from tanny completely, they said could not verify. They couldn't find tick noise from end of car when cornering, after 2 techs tried so they called me to take them out and show it to them, hehehe I did and the tech guy was like OH... I hear it now(Verizon). So what they did was clean the brake rotors and studds and retorque the wheels. They said this solved the ticking. I couldn't verify their statement today because it was raining the whole day. Most roads were flooded, WOW rain in Oct. this is going to be one wet year for us Fresnoans, (joke) I don't need the rain cuz I'm already drowning in Mazdas BS Customer Service. Will have to do a thorough inspection of inside/outside and drive of car on the next clear/sunny day and get back to you all about my R-X-8 thats always N-D-Shop.

Thanks for the HeadsUp 96tahoe. =)
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    vltc - had a slight squeak and took my baby in (normal service time)....wasn't bad, but there.....the dealer said they didn't see anything. Next service came around and the squeak was real bad! They did the same thing as 96Tahoe had done and the squeak is gone! Tell your dealer to do try that!.... :-) good luck
  • nylremnylrem Member Posts: 1
    I rev my engine as I'm turning off the key, and haven't had any starting or flooding problems. I usually turn it off as it passes 3000 or 3500 rpm. I think it kinda blows any extra fuel out so it's easier to start the next time. Before I started doing this, it would sometimes require more cranking before starting, but I just held the starter down and it eventually fired up. Don't forget and let the clutch out too soon though, even with the key off ("duh" I know, but I almost went through my garage door once before I got the hang of it).

Got the steering dampner and airbag recalls done - the steering dampner makes it less twitchy going over angled bumps, but doesn't seem to reduce the steering responsiveness (at least not enough for me to tell).

One question though - I think I found water on my dipstick - the oil was kinda foamy and lighter colored, and the drip that fell off the dipstick seemed more like water than oil... How big a deal is this, and is it a problem specific to the RX-8, or bad gas, or bad oil?
  • unpocolocounpocoloco Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I've been reading these messages for many days now. I'm really interested in the RX-8 as it sounds like the perfect blend of a fun car to drive that looks fantastic and is actually practical. BUT, I'm also starting to get nervous about its quirks.

Like I said, I've been reading these posts. And reading, and reading, and reading...

So, I'd like to ask for y'all to post a summary of the car's current status. For instance, In page 1 of this forum we are talking about issues that were in November of 2003. Perhaps those aren't really issues anymore! By the 2005 model, I am wondering how many things have been fixed, and what will remain. I think newer members to the forum might appreciate that as well, in case they don't have the patience to browse through 500 messages!

And finally, I'd appreciate your opinion. My work is 40 miles away, each way (yeah, yikes!). I drive it about 2 days a week. The other 3 days, I take a vanpool. The vanpool is approx. 3 minutes away, or about 0.2 miles. Given this short distance, is the RX-8 going to be a bad car to buy? Your thoughts, please!

Thanks,
    Adam
  • slims8slims8 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a Mazda RX8 6 speed. This car has had more problems than I can explain in a short message.

About a month after purchasing the vehicle it wouldn't start one morning. I later got it started and took it in to the dealer. They did a Flash update on my PCM and everything was fine after that. Approximately three months later I began having trouble with my transmission. I was on vacation in Carlisle, AR when the car broke down the first time (8/9/2004). My car was towed in to North Point Mazda in North Little Rock, then got towed to Crain Mazda in Little Rock, without even informing me. After replacing approximately 87 parts in the transmission, I got my car back 40 days later (9/18/2004). Immediately after driving the vehicle I knew it wasn’t right. It was making noises, wouldn’t shift in to 2nd, 3rd or reverse without grinding. I took my car to Town North Mazda in Richardson as soon as I got a chance (9/27/2004). I was told "2nd and 3rd gears are fried" and they would replace the transmission and clutch. After replacing the clutch and transmission I got the car back 11 days later (10/7/2004). I knew the car still had a problem so I scheduled to have the car taken BACK in on 10/12/2004. I drove about 2 miles from the house on the way to the dealer when it went out again. The car still to this day remains in the shop again. My car has been in for repairs for over 60 days since 8/9/2004!!!! I got a call on 10/20/04 from the dealership that has my car. They told me Mazda declines coverage becuase of neglect or abuse. I absolutely "babied" that car because I knew it wasn't right! Any suggestions?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Rather than taking the dealership's word, you should personally contact Mazda about the situation. The Mazda Corp. address and phone number can be found on their site: www.mazdausa.com
    Mazda has been contacted and they say they decline coverage. After being without my vehicle for 60 days since the first incident, and only driven the car for 5 days, about 400 miles, how can they say they don't cover it? They just replaced it! There is obviously something wrong!
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    I am deciding between leasing an RX8 or a Honda Elemnet before buying a Honda SUT. They are kind of extremes in terms of use and even pricing. You horror story is scaring the nuts out of me, coz my trusty Toyota 03 RAV4 has not yet stranded me except for once when I left the headlights on and battery went dead.Other than that it hasn't let me down.

During the 60 days you were without a car what did you use to get around? Did Mazda have the courtesy of providing a loaner?
    Mazda provided a rental during the first 2 attempts, but are not now. My vehicle is literally in pieces and I am paying abou $720/mo for the car and insurance and it's broke down in my driveway while I am begging for rides to and from work!

Please, don't let me completely influence you. There are a few people out there who haven't had any problems.
    I re-read your situation and I'm not sure if this is a possible lemon law case or an act of incompetence at one of the dealerships where the work was done.

Take a look at these articles.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

Unwinding the Deal — What Are Your Rights?

I'm going to ask the other hosts if they have any other suggestions for your dilemma.
    The consensus is you should contact Better Business Bureau and your state attorney's general office.

http://www.ag.state.ar.us/citserv/home.htm

They should be able to give you some information.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    but don't let that be a detractor from looking into getting a RX-8, as there are THOUSANDS of current RX-8 owners just enjoying their perfectly running RX-8s compare to one bad lemon :-)
  • bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    When times are good and things are right we dont complain. When something goes wrong all you hear is complaining ! I would post my complaints too and make them as loud as I could to warn others, but I as well as many others DON'T HAVE any COMPLAINT's with my RX 8 that has 6K mi's and is 10 mo's old. I hate to brag but I get 20 mpg's in comute trafic ( mostly just slow an go ).The mpg was lower before the "M flash update" (18 mpg).Mine is a AT and I am having the best time of my life (in and out of comute trafic) driving mine.I didnt want to settle for less and I have no regrets !!

I want to thank all of you for the interesting and entertaining discussions that I have read over the last year.... THANKS !
    I got approximately 11,000 miles on RX8...1 year of owner ship last week of Oct...I've replace/recall oil pan, air bag, M Flash, Temp Knob...I hit a deer Sept 2004....I have no major complaints...I realize first year recalls are the norm...after M Flash mpg 19-20 ave...transmission is little notchy, but acceptable...I'm having fun with it....
  • biscuit1biscuit1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my favourite toy five months ago and it's given me no trouble at all. It makes people look, it makes them stare! I love it. It's done 5k miles and I really feel the engine is performing better and better. I'm sorry to hear about the problems some people are having, but I hope you are a minority. I'm in Texas and the dealership seem pretty switched on. I've just started to use the heater!
  • jessfogjessfog Member Posts: 1
    I'm very happy with mine.. just got it less than 3 weeks ago.
    The only complaint I have is the mileage... averaging 17 mpg. I do drive to some bad traffic, but it seems like I should get more.
    What's the M Flash? is it a recall or something?
    What does it do?

Thanks.
  • donaldsdonalds Member Posts: 28
    With my hearing two weeks from today I got an urgent call from the dealer today that said Mazda has released a new flash for the PCM please make an appointment to have the car fixed, the service manager said this was the answer to my problem, took the car in today and waited for the program to be put on, here is what the invoice says, reprogramed PCM to latest cal. as per hotline old cal. N3H6M new cal. N3Z2L
    Well this does not look right anyway the problem with the rough idle is still there so now I have another set of papers to add to my lemon law packet.
  • vtlcvtlc Member Posts: 25
    Keep it up Donalds, you are not alone.
  • myheartmyheart Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 8 for 3 months and love it. No problems until weather has gotten colder. In checking my oil this week found a milky subtance on the dipstick. I know that with regular engines, this could mean coolant is mixing with oil(which could be very bad for engine). I only have 2000 miles on the car and religiously warm up when driving for short trips. (Easy to do as it's so much fun to drive.) Should I be concerned or not. Thanks for any info.
  • whitedogwhitedog Member Posts: 1
    Hi Kewl! Enjoying my car too, purchased it in September and the clutch noise was there from the start. Same thing being told to me from the dealer. I also had a window ballast problem and some some cosmetic scratches they took care of. Each time I have asked them to check the transmission and other than the record of the check I have yet to understand why. Nothing like a car like this with a clunking clutch. I agree it does sound like the throw out bearing. I dont use the AC much where I live and haven't noticed this problem. I would be very grateful if you share what you find from your service check.
    thanks!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    in the oil is bad. It could be a bad "coolant "O" ring seal". If it's just on the inside of the dip stick pipe (and getting on the dipstick when you pull it out), it's normal. In cooler weather especially, moisture in the oil condenses on the cooler parts of the engine. The oil filler tube and dipstick tube are much cooler than the rest of the engine, so they usually get the condensate.

BTW, if it is just condensate, that stuff is very acidic, so try not to get it on your hands, painted surfaces, etc. On my older RX-7, I take the oil filler cap off when I park in my garage after a thorough warm up (long drive). The condensate evaporates completely within a few hours. I leave the hood open to remind myself to replace the cap before using the car again.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    you can sleep well tonight!!!....After reading your post I wandered back to our service department to see if our guys know anything about the milky stuff. They cut me off in mid-sentance and told me they are aware. There is a TSB stating that condensation / white foamy substance is normal.
  • myheartmyheart Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. It is not really white but more of a brownish color. I have made an appointment to have it checked out. I hope it is just condensation and not anti-freeze.
    I know there's suppose to be a floor mat bracket that holds the driver mat in place while driving, and I don't have it on my 8. I told the sales manager that the bracket is missing, and he BS'd me something about not all 8's come with the bracket. He did say that he will look for a replacement for me. This bracket is a standard equipment on all 8's right?
    should be in the car. I suspect the dealer just didn't install it during dealer prep. Maybe they couldn't find it in the plastic bag of parts that came with the car.
  • bjharleybjharley Member Posts: 2
    I am having issues with steering stability at low speeds similar to your comments. I have kept up on maintainence and bullitens but am not aware of the Steering damper recall. Do you know the Bulletin number? I love this ride, but it keeps my dealer pretty busy with all the peculiar problems it gets. The latest is the rear taillight lenses are cracking due to a trunk clearance issue on earlier models. I have mine 14 months and the steering issue has been difficult to explain and duplicate and the dealer never nailed it down for me. If you'd share that recall number it would help. Best of luck with you '8'!
    The RX-8 has an electric power steering system. I'm not aware of a damper but there may be one. If you're having problems with the steering, it may just be corroded connections. The main power plug for the power steering is under the PCM in the large black plastic box in the front right of the engine compartement. It's on the bottom of the box, so if you've experiences lots of water (driving though deep water in storms for example) you may have had enough water enter the box to cause a problem. The water would drain out, but if the power is on when flooded, the connections would corrode.
  • bjharleybjharley Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delayed response.
    I confirmed that there is no steering recall or service of any kind to speak of. I'll have a look at the black box and see what's going on. I'm doubtful this could be it since it's happened from the first days of purchase and it's rarely out in fowl weather, but you may be on to something. Happy Holidays.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • randerson42randerson42 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering an 8 for my next car although it won't be for several months yet. It seems like a few people have had really dismal luck with their 8's, but several people seem to be really pleased.

Autoweek magazine reported excessive oil consumption on their long-term 8. If I did the math correctly it amounts to about a quart in 500 - 550 miles. Is this normal for an 8, or unusual? What kind of oil consumption are you getting between changes?

If I remember correctly the early Mazda rotary engines (RX-2, RX-3, RX-4) used some kind of oil injection similar to 2 stroke motorcycles to keep the apex seals on the rotors healthy. Is this true of the Renesis engine in the 8?

I'd miss the 30+ mpg on my '03 Protege, but as long as the 8 were reliable I could live with low 20's.
    is not as bad as the magazines get. Don't forget they tend to "flog" cars. If you operate at full throttle a lot you will get oil consuption like they report. BTW, that is not "excessive". They just don't know what they're talking about if they think it is. I'll bet the Subaru WRX Sti uses almost as much when flogged.

Most owners are reporting the oil is at the "add" level when it's due for changing.

The renesis injects oil from the crankcase into the intake stream (just before the intake ports). This injection is handled by the computer - wide open throttle would tend to call for lots of oil, for example. The RX-8 uses less oil than previous rotary engined cars such as the RX-7.
  • williwilli Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get a RX 8 after christmas, however, I'm a college student right now, and having an underground parking space in campus is almost impossible. So, the only option would be street parking. The temperature in Illinois is starting to drop below 30 degrees, so i was wondering if it's gonna be a big problem for the rotery engine when it is parked outside?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
    Shouldn't be a problem unless the temp. drops down to -20 or below. Then it's really hard to start the car (no block heater permitted by Mazda). It tends to flood almost immediatly below -30.

We have one here in Edmonton that starts just fine until it gets below -20. We're going to try an oil pan heater to get it to start below that.

You will want to get proper all season tires if you plan to drive when it's near or below freezing. The stock tires are "performance" tires and have very little traction when near freezing temps. We use Nokian WR tires on 17" AR wheels (spoked aluminum - nice looking and not too expensive). We used stock size but in 17" diameter - much better handling than the 18" as well. I guess the 18" are for "looks". We went down in size to get more ice clearance in the wheel wells.
  • williwilli Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the advice! really appriciate it!

Also, I have another question, is it not good for the engine if I don't drive it as much? Becasue generally I'll be taking the buses to class, so when I do drive it, it will primarily be on the weekends.

I really like the RX 8 a lot, as it's going to be my first car. However, after reading all these problems with the transmission, AC, and engin, it actually scares me a little.
    check the sticker on the driver door. If it's after November '03 your 8 should have *most* of the updates already in, save for the ECU reflash.
    is not a problem. As long as you don't leave it for 6 months at a time - the battery will suffer if you do this. My 3rd gen RX-7 gets left for up to a few weeks undriven. It's also not necessary to start it up and just let it run. In fact it may do more damage if you do that. I store my RX-7 for 6 months every winter - I just change the oil, fill the tank full, remove the battery, and usually put the car on jackstands so it's easier to clean the floor underneath it. I charge the battery once every two weeks with a high tech. charger (that can't overcharge it). It starts right up next spring every time.

Enjoy your new toy!
  • chitownrx8chitownrx8 Member Posts: 1
    I also recently received the power steering lost in my Rx-8. Dealer informed me that the car is sitting too long that the battery is losing juice and the system required recalibration to bring it back online. A 1 hour process costing $110. I drive my car only about 3 miles/day with full weekend drives. Sometimes it may sit for a week but not unusual for any car and the power steering is dead afterwards. Why this one losing juice and shutting down systems. Thanks.
  • paul_in_dcpaul_in_dc Member Posts: 6
    How many others have had problems with the auto-dimming mirrors? I drive in traffic and the thing drives me nuts because it doesn't dim nearly enough. I'm wondering whether to replace it with another or go to a standard rear-view mirror. Plus it seems to be mounted an inch lower than I'd like; sometimes interferes with forward visibility.
  • inkster186inkster186 Member Posts: 2
    i just bought my car in nov. and it's now dec, i need snow tires. so far i did a 360 and i almost slide into a moving train. I never been so afraid to drive my baby. can any help and tell me what type of tire i should get and if they would/will help.
  • inkster186inkster186 Member Posts: 2
    what chip are u talking about to increase the hp to 250
  • crazy69boycrazy69boy Member Posts: 1
    Just thought i would throw this out in the open. I've had my 8 for bout 5 months now and never had a problem til last week. Good thing now cuz im a college student that uses the car almost daily. i was home at the time and was running back to my college dorm when my poor rx8 wouldnt start. it would turn over, but no fire. Tryin everything the battery eventually got weaker. the next day mazda's great roadside assistance picked it up and took it to the nearest mazda dealership. The dealership first thought it was antifreeze in the oil and said that mazda recommended ordering a brand new engine only after 9300 miles. :s The next day when they were plannin on orderin the engine, they called and reported that it was just the condensation that turned the oil into wat the mechanic said "melted marshmallows".

They changed the oil, put new spark plugs in, ran a few tests, and its all good...for now. If anyone else maybe has anythign like this happened. let me know. mechanics didnt know y the condensation turned extreme. THanks
    Short trips, in short ;-). If you don't fully warm up the engine the condensation will build up. The engine heat boils away the water (condensation) that ends up in the oil.

The problem results from the rotary engine not having very good oil system ventilation. There just isn't enough vacuum generated to properly operate the PCV system.

One method I use to help keep the buildup under control is after I finish using the vehicle (it's nice and warm), I remove the oil filler cap. This allows the water vapour to escape. You have to remember to put the cap back on before driving it again, of course. I keep mine in a garage and leave the hood up to remind myself. If you park outdoors, place the cap on the seat or dash to remind yourself.

As for the comment on the stock tires, read back in these forums. The exact tires best for you will depend on where you live. If you live where there is "real" winter, we have found the Nokian WR very good!
    I am having trouble replacing air filter with K&N...the housing is not wanting to to part to allow me to switch out filters...I'm afraid of applying anymore pressure to it in fear breaking something...manual no help...unplug sensor and latches...anyone else have similar experience?

Oil Condesation...12K+ on mine...have seen a little since having it...no problems yet...
    It's a tight fit. You have to press the back half of the airbox with quite a bit of force towards the rear of the engine compartment. It's easier if you remove the rubber output hose but if you're not mechanically inclined that may not be a good option. You can press it open enough to just slip the old filter out and the new one in. Be careful to note the oriention of the filter panel (front back) when you remove the stock unit.
    So were talking enough pressure to bend intake hose back enough to get filter in and out? Sure seems like a lot of pressure to exert on that plastic filter box. I'm thinking instead of taking hose off I'll determine how much space I need to get filter out make a spacer to hold it open why slip the the ld filter out and put new in. Thanks for the help.

FPH

brownliquorpickers.com
  • pelagicpelagic Member Posts: 1
    Just got snows for mine, Bridgestone Blizzak's, LM-25. Huge improvement over the originals. I'm in TO and was hoping to get by with the originals until next year. No way, when the snow hit my 8 was virtually undrivable (even though I still did). When the ABS kicks in, couldn't even stop. The stopping distance was 2 to 3 times further with ABS. With the snows ABS hardly kicks at all, handling is quite good. Got another set of rims, stuck with 18", (can't take less than 17). Bought from Talon Tire in Montreal, $255 (local dealers wanted up to $330)
This discussion has been closed.