Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• frazfraz Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem in the UK and got the same answer from Mazda. They also maintain I am starting the car in the wrong way or am not driving the car hard enough!!! Both of which are not true. I have also asked what happens next and got a shrug of the shoulders. Not happy.....
  • dragonfly1dragonfly1 Member Posts: 3
    I own a Rx8 auto transmission and did not have any problems with the transmission until I had a flat and they did the update on it. I drove this car in the winter with 4 inches of snow on it no problem with starting or acceleration.It's at 25000 miles. After the update they couldn't get it to start in their parking lot. Now it responds sluggishly when excellerating. The air that comes through the car from the fan also seems alot hotter I have to turn it all the way to the cool side to keep heat from coming in. They are doing the airbag harness replacement today and installing the latest update I hope it helps. Anyone have problems with sensitive steering? Pulls you off the rode if your not holding on to the wheel with both hands?? On a smooth surface with non visible ruts??
    I was attempting to add that I also have shake in my car it is to the point that you can see the rear view mirror move. help
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    just bought my 8 and have not even had it a week. it is a 6 spd. i can feel a slight pull even on smooth surfaces. however, i hadn't thought too much about it - i am still getting used to rear-wheel rather than front-wheel drive and although i had low profiles on the previous ride, the 8's are much wider and the tread is extremely different. ps i notice it more when i drive at slower speeds than at faster ones? not too concerned at this point!!
  • tokeytokey Member Posts: 5
    Im new to this forum, but I just bought my 8 about 1 month ago. I am experiencing bad gas mileage about (15 mpg). I never expected to get great mileage, but as my car reaches 1000 miles and I drive it relatively light, i thought it would be better than that. what are these L and M "flashes" I keep hearing about and what is the difference between them?
    The tires on this car are high performance, made to mold to the road. When you feel it pull, you are basically feeling your tires conform to the road. Just keep your hands on the wheel and try to stay away from any leaning roads.
    thanks for the info on the tires. as i said, i did notice it somewhat but figured it had to do with the tires' performance. as for the post on gas mileage, working on my second tank only, but would say that I got about 14 on my first tank - didn't have my trip ode set exactly at fill-up. not great, but I've been trying it pretty good!!
  • rxrickrxrick Member Posts: 3
    Now that I have 3000 miles on my 8, my mileage seems to have improved a bit, from 11.5 to 14, 60% around town driving. The foamy dipstick issue is still unresolved, will be visiting new dealer on wednesday. Next issue: driving 122mph, (closed road)front plastic skirt in front of driver-side wheel, breaks loose and drags on ground giving me an utter heart-attack! Think this was just from windage? My first thought was blowout, and if so, best handling car I ever owned!!! But no, just this plastic thingy. Car sounded like a snow plow when dragging this thing!
    we have bulldog cops here in summersville, wv (look at speedtrap.com - i'm really not kidding) so i have not reached anywhere near that MPH. i've been up to 80, but had to choke it back (too many mountains and curves in wv, too) so i have not lost any parts as yet. that sounds entirely strange and I bet it was a little heart-stopping. back to the dealer with it yet? what do they say? also, on the oil thing, the foamy stuff seems to be fairly common from reading here. I have not checked mine yet (only had it a week), but I hope I don't have to see that!! let us know what the new dealer says!!
  • flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    Was told not to use synthetic oil? Reasons?

Have ocassionaly filled up with 89 octane, will that cause problems?

Thanks

FlatpickHippster
    Charlotte NC
    04 RX8 14K miles
    Purchased Oct 2003
    Oil Indicator Recall
    M Flash
    Ave 17 mpg, 7 mile stop and go work commute
    Cruising rpm 2500 - 3500
  • chet2chet2 Member Posts: 3
    I suspect that the loss of power was because the engine was not fully up to temp. Each time it happened I had gone less than 10 miles before the problem began. The engine light did not come on, the transmission just did not shift down, and by the time I realized it and manually shifted down the rpms were below the power band. I also use premium gas, and I just returned from a 500 miles trip and the 8 didn't skip a beat. It is definitely an intermittent problem which makes it had to fix.
  • zoomzoom Member Posts: 3
    In order to balance out to those that have had problems, I've had my '04 since Sept. 04. In storage from early Dec. until about 2 weeks ago. I did buy snow tires (Blizzaks) but decided not to expose it to the salt and cinders of an Ohio winter. Now have 5800 miles on it. Getting around 20 mpg if I'm careful. Add oil about qt./3k to 4k miles. No starting problems. Nothing has broken or fallen off. Fit and finish equal to Lexus, in my opinion. Had it to dealer once for oil change and "flash". Dealer service and treatment has been excellent. Haven't had so much driving fun in years.
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    I've had my 8 since November 04. It currently has about 4400 miles on it. I noticed that my gas milage got better after my first oil change at 3800 miles. It also seems to warm up faster, but that may just be due to the outside temp going up as we enter Springtime.
    I had the foamy dipstick issue, but convinced my dealership to order the 05 dipstick tube and dipstick to help with that one.
    I love this car!
  • dvillanuevadvillanueva Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys. Was thinking of buying the RX-8 Shinka. Have looked over site here and see some of the problems you all have had with your vehicles. Was wondering if any of you regret buying your RX-8's.

-DJ
  • donaldsdonalds Member Posts: 28
    After the way Mazda has handled my case regret does not come to mind, hate the car hate the company.
    If you need to know more about what I am talking about do a search here and you will see what I have been through.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    To add a little balance....

Although my RX8 met with an unfortunate accident, I owned mine for about 1 1/2 years. Bought one of the first ones to hit these shores.

Mine was great. It ran like a scalded dog. It always brought a grin to my face whenever I drove it.

There were some teething problems with the very first ones, but I think Mazda did a great job in handling them...at least with me. I think the latter '04 models and certainly the '05 model has been sorted out pretty well.

Some frustration came from dealer service depts...at least initially. The RX series had been absent from Mazda's line-up for a while. Many service techs that knew of the RX series had moved from the dealer's service depts. Consequently, there weren't many service techs that were familiar with the car. Now, after a couple of years, the experience level is up and the service depts should be familiar enough to address an owner's issue.

My dealer had two RX service techs that were very experienced. They had stuck around. One of them was so senior, all he did was work on RXs. I got to know him on a personal level because he was also an enthusiast and we'd run into each other at RX shows. He kept mine in top condition and was alwasy aware of any issue that cropped up.

Other dealer service depts weren't really focused on the RX when it was released. That meant they didn't have much of a clue when it came to solving customer issues.

Bottom line....there are tens of thousands of RX8s on the road today (lost track of how many have been sold). Dealer techs are more experienced. So, I'd buy one without hesitation.

BTW....I really like that Shinka!!!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing any condensation inside their rear brake lights. And If their is any good way to fix this. Also I was wondering if anyone else heard a vibration that sounds like it is coming from the dash at times when driving.
  • slayerslayer Member Posts: 10
    Hi, first post here so go easy :) I live in South Africa where our RX-8 model range is slightly different from NA. We basically have a "std. power" version running about 190bhp (140kW) and a 5-speed MT, and a "hi power" version pushing about 228bhp (170kW) with the 6-speed MT. I've just purchased a demo 2004 "hi power" in silver/black. Have to say, I absolutely love this car!

Interestingly, while you have several options available that we do not, such as NAV and auto-dimming RV mirrors, we have the auto climate control that you guys seem to be lacking. So while I don't experience your "cycling" problem, I do notice an audible hiss coming from the AC unit every 20 or 30 seconds while driving. Annoying. Will be asking the dealer about this one shortly.

In my local car market, sports cars are somewhat rare (Mazda has sold maybe 500 of these cars here), so dealers tend to be even less knowledgable about the car. I'm hoping I can find a service department with qualified mechanics/technicians. Considering the RX-7 was never officially sold in this country, we don't even have any of the older RX techs lurking about.

I had my first glitch the other day when my immobilizer refused to deactivate. I eventually had to drive home in a friend's car to fetch my spare key, but while fiddling around I disconnected the battery. As I am still reading my way through the manual (only had the car about a week) I now see many functions require recalibration/reactivation if the battery is disconnected, such as DSC and power steering. Interestingly, most of these functions were inactive immediately after getting the car started (as stated in the manual), but I never performed any of the recalibration techniques and yet they seem to have reset themselves. Any ideas?

No major issues yet, though I must say I can notice a lot of the smaller quirks mentioned here (misfiring occassionally when idling, whirring tranny sound when the car idles in neutral, solid "click" when moving into and out of 1st gear, and when engaging/disengaging the clutch when idling). Gonna bounce all these off the dealer next week, but just to confirm (there are a LOT of messages on this forum) are any of these cause for concern?

One last question (promise) does anyone know if the ECU reflashes (L, M, N) apply only to NA or are worldwide (would imagine the latter)? Fuel consumption is worrying (I expected this) and if you guys think you pay a lot for gas in NA you should try it over here, close on 4 times the price, so anything that may help in this department would be a good thing.

Thanks guys and sorry for the lengthy post!
  • jwt8jwt8 Member Posts: 2
    I have 04 RX8 that I purchase used with 18,000 miles. I have had to take it to the shop 3 times because the check engine light kept coming on. On all 3 trips the service department told me the light came on because the gas cap was not put on properly. I am the only driver and I know I put the gas cap on properly. Is this a common problem?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The gas can can be the cause...but Mazda has issued some TSB's to reflash the computer to address that issue. Have your local mazda dealer run your vin# to see if it needs to be done. If they give you a hard time, you can email me your vin number and I can run the number.
  • jwt8jwt8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information, I will contact the dealer. :)
    Took mine to the mazda service and it is driving much better. Balanced the tires ran the next update on it and as for the shake ordered new motor mounts. Pull has decreased quite a bit since the tire balancing. I had just had it balanced not even two weeks before. I don't regret buying it for those who wonder just make sure you have a decent service dept. They put the wrong oil in mine on the first change and now it is noted in my file to put in the oil recommended in the manual.
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    I have an '04 with 6.8K miles, and had condensation in the right rear light cluster. I was going to try cleaning it out or warming the light with a hairdryer ( on low! ) but it has now gone away by itself.
    I had the problem during the winter ( live in RI) but since the weather warmed up it has disappeared. I suspect the cause may be the lock access that penetrates the light fixture, allowing moisture to enter.

No problem with vibration. Just awful gas mileage. 18 MPG is a dream, even driven conservatively.
  • jim31jim31 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I just installed a set of Tein lowering springs on my RX-8. They were suppoed to drop it 1.4" in the front, and 0.7" in the rear. I measured the wheel gap after installing the springs and the front only lowered 0.5" (from 2 1/8" to 1 5/8") and the rear measured exactly the same as stock. I took the measurements after I took the car hard down a windy road for approx. 20 kms. Is it normal for lowering springs to not lower the car immidiately? If so, how long does it take for them to set into their proper ride height? Thanks.
  • awyrwasawyrwas Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone been having problems with the stability control feature. Spring is here but the car spins completely out of control with a light dusting of snow. The stability control on the car is a joke. Would snow tires help? Just wondering. The care is unsafe in winter driving.
    I'm with you bud. The company is terrible to deal with. Have you had any problems with it spinning out of control. If so, you may want to contact Washington DC. I have the number if you want. The next problem I need to tackle with them is the "RUSTING" on the brake drums. I will never be buying MAZDA again.
  • slayerslayer Member Posts: 10
    Well I just got my car back yesterday after some after-sales issues and the key/immobilizer thing. They managed to not tighten one of my wheel nuts causing it to fall off; fortunately as I was driving into my office park, so the security guard picked it up for me.

Others have noted the whirring sound when the clutch is engaged in neutral at idle, but has anyone noticed gear noise when downshifting into 2nd (6-speed MT)? Also, someone mentioned here the clunk heard from the front wheels when pulling away after startup is the "ABS calibrating", but that sounds dubious to me and my mechanic agreed. Any clarification on this?

Otherwise my service department seems pretty good. I had a chat with their rotary mechanic and he seemed to know a fair amount about the car and engine, so I'm feeling a little more relaxed.
    my back brakes have popped twice. both times were after a car wash. washed it, moved it to the parking space for the night, and when backing up the next morning, it pops.

most cars i've seen that have wheels that let you see much of the brake drums have rust.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I would take it back to the dealer and demand they replace your drum brakes with disc brakes. Don't worry if your new disc brakes show surface rust - it is normal for any car.
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Just a comment on the rusting issue.

Unless you are talking about something very different, brake rotors are manufactured from high carbon steel and will "rust" very quickly( my old Volvo rotors would show "rust"after a car wash!), go into a dealer of any manufacturer and look at the rotors on the cars with disk brakes and I would guess you will see a film of oxidation, in my experience this is normal, and is not a safety issue.

I would not take Mazda to task over this.

Ps. there are other rotor materials, ie ceramic, used on very expensive performance cars that might not rust but why spend all that money for a car that doesn't perform that much better? :)
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The RX-8 is a sports car with summer performanc tires on it. The stability control is not going to help much when the tires are not designed to handle the white stuff. If you want good traction when the snow is on the ground you need to run with dedicated snow tires. If you don't want to invest in snow tires then you need to ease off the throttle when turning while there is snow on the ground. This will greatly reduce the tendancy to "spin completely out of control". The RX-8 is only unsafe in winter driving when it is equipped with summer performance tires and the driver does not compensate for adverse road conditions.

And those light dustings of snow in the early spring tend to be extremely slippery. The ground is usually a bit warmer and melts the initial snowfall. Then the snow keeps coming and freezes the melted layer to create very slippery conditions. An AWD vehicle with dedicated snow tires will have a tough time negotiating roads covered with black ice. ;)
    Thanks for the info bud.... I realize your point. However, my previous car - Mustang 99 GT Convertible 8 Cylinder had the traction control feature - although I was driving with 17" wheels; Goodyear Gaterbacks... the thing wouldn't make it up a hill but it sure did its best in not fishtailing in slippery conditions... when that traction control light came on; it meant that it was doing its job in providing some stabliity. I think the other issue with the RX8 is its 50/50 balance rear and back... any suggestions on recommended snow tires???? Thanks.
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone had problems with their 8 backfireing when you start it up. When you rev you hear a bang.
  • beachglassgirlbeachglassgirl Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking at a used 04 RX8 with about 15K on it - what do I need to find out in terms of problems to look for or updates that were missed? Thanks and I have already learned alot reading all the posts!
  • dmatsdmats Member Posts: 1
    I just took my rx8 in to the dealer a SECOND time because of a strange rattling noise as I accelerate into and beyond the 2000 rpm range. It's only heard when in Drive, not park, and only when I accelerate.. At first, was told it was my heat shield and it was repositioned. This did not solve the noise problem. Today I was told that "this is normal for this engine." The serviceman informed me that the noise is indeed coming from the engine and he told me that the rx8 next to mine in the shop (there for oil change) has the same noise. I'm going to see if this is indeed the case. I'll let you know what I find out.
    will tell you if there are outstanding recalls on the car?? My friend just bought a jeep and we did the carfax thing and it reported something to the effect that there were no unresolved or unserviced recalls (forgive me, i don't remember the exact report heading). Also, i would think that a mazda dealer could tell you similar info with a vin or looking at the car? I'm not 100% sure on either of these, but a call to a mazda dealer could decide it.
    I just bought a leftover, untitled 2004 (lots of those still out there) and got a really good deal (I feel). I shopped on e-bay and autotrader for used cars and it seemed that most with the options i wanted were in the 22K to 24K range (that's for a 6 spd, autos seem to be less) and i financed 21,500 on a new one. I don't have to deal with someone else's prior miles and I have a full warranty.
    I saw a few "new" 2004's had been listed on e-bay. you might look at those. Good luck, I love mine. loads of fun to drive!!!!!
    Lisa
  • jgorjgor Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just picked up my 04 RX8 200k on odometer. While driving it home from the dealer the engine light came on. The dealer said the code indicated the catalytic converter was the source. They say that the converter may have been contaminated with fuel vapours.They are going to install a new converter
    When I picked the car up they told me not to shut off the engine and restart it if it was not completely warmed up. I have owned other Rotary cars before and never had this sort of problem.
    Any comments on these two issues?
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    I located the following information at www.alldata.com. When I was shopping for new RX-8's, several cars had service stickers affixed to the hood of the car(s) in the engine compartment to indicate which recalls had been preformed. Used RX-8's might have the same stickers affixed to their hoods as well.

Bulletins for 2004 Mazda RX8 2RTR-1.3L

Service Bulletins
    TSB # Issue Date TSB Title
    0700204 MAY 04 A/C - Lack of Cooling or Temperature Fluctuation
    0101104 APR 04 Engine - Cranks/No Start
    0901104 APR 04 Windows - Rear Quarter Window Glass Lock Loose
    0900704 MAR 04 Antitheft System - Dome Lamp Flashes/Clicking Noises
    0900404 MAR 04 Interior - Tire House Trim Lifting
    0100104 FEB 04 Engine - Engine Cover Grommets Loose/Fall Off
    0200104 FEB 04 Suspension - Shock Absorber/Strut Replacement
    Guidelines
  • mon1mon1 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same problem, but think it is related to the transmission. It happened the first time when I was fully accelerating to get onto the highway. It happened around 2nd gear. Took it to the shop, they reset the computer. They car doesn't properly shift from 2 -3 -4 (auto tran) but only when fully accelerating. Had a MAZDA rep drive the car. He told me it was normal - the car has a "sport mode." He said if I didn't fully accelerate, then there wouldn't be the concern I've expressed (honestly, that is what he said to me)! So basically, as I said to him, I have a high performance sports car that I can't fully accelerate. I'm getting ready to file a lemon law claim. Car has been in the shop 3 times, and with no progress in solving the problem. It's 2005 with 5000 miles.
  • cheffiecheffie Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I've had my '04 8 for three months now - just noticed the air conditioner problem (air BARELY cool and, strangely, cooler on passenger side than driver's) last weekend when the weather hear in OH finally warmed up. What's the deal with fixing it and is it ever REALLY going to get fixed - also, has anyone tried pulling out the dipstick just until it un-seals from the sleeve in order to release the condensation that is making the oil/yogurt? Since this is where the condensation is occuring does it make sense to try to fix the problem there, too?
  • kestrel02kestrel02 Member Posts: 26
    I was thinking the AC in my new 8 was weak as well, but I finally discovered the problem, the mode setting. In my previous cars, having the mode set to come out at face and feet didn't make much difference to the AC volume or coldness, but it definitely does in the 8! Once I set it to come out of the top vents only I noticed a huge improvement in the air coldness and volume.
  • elaine6elaine6 Member Posts: 1
    strongly agree. I've a 04 RX8 and had the same problem during the past winter. I even had an accident because of this when it snowed all of sudden in the middle of March. Can anyone offer some help?
  • cheffiecheffie Member Posts: 2
    I tried the different mode settings (actually tried all of them) and a combination of different modes with both re circulated and fresh air. It was actually blowing warm air for a while - this could be a problem with the refrigerant. It is due for an oil change this week, so I will be asking the dealer about a few things (oil/yogurt, clutch noise when in idle, the stupidity of designing a rear defroster that is also an antenna so that the radio reception suffers when the window is icy...) I'll let everybody know what happens - either way.
  • cleekscleeks Member Posts: 3
    I have just hit 18000 miles and I am starting to hear more noise or rattle sounds from the passenger door or window area. Has anyone else had this occur? It seems to stop if I push on the door panel but that is only temporary. I also get a rattling sound from the rear view mirror. But that stops when I hold it for a second or two. Any suggestions on how to fix or what exactly is making the noise? thanks
  • stodiejastodieja Member Posts: 6
    the shutting car off before it is not warmed up is very true. if the car does not warm up fully then trying to start it again could cause a flooded engine i work on these cars and i have seen alot come in for flooding issues. you may want to ask your service personel to reflash your pcm for the concern of hard start lack of power i have also seen some converters fail because of flooding issues it is important to warm the car up fully even if you only drive it a short distance :)
  • stodiejastodieja Member Posts: 6
    the whirring sound you hear in nuetral is normal and will be there that is just how the gears inside mesh together nothing you can do to fix :)
  • spyder_sgspyder_sg Member Posts: 1
    I got a big problem with my RX8.
    When i try to get my car started last sunday during a heavy rain,
    the car starts but all the dash board light up and there was no
    power steering and the gear can't change when moving.
    The workshop guyz still can't figure out what wrong with the car!!
    Any advice would be greatly appricated.
    Thks
    pls e-mail me
    Thanks stodieja.
    The dealer replaced the catalytic conv. yesterday. The difference in the performance is like night and day. When the engine light was on the car would rev to about 6K and then start to lug. There must be a safety feature in the engine module program that restricts the RPM when the engine light is on.
    The dealer neglected to tell me this... They just told me that it would be OK to drive the car until the part was in. I had never experienced a hard starting problem with the car. But it had 300KMs on the car when I bought it....so maybe the dealer had a problem with hard starting at some point.
    Any-way my car runs great now. I have about 1200KM on the car right now. I will be keeping a log of my fuel and oil consumption and, periodicly post the results.
    This used to happen with the old RX,s going back as far as the RX 2's....Could be the trailing plugs are fouled.In the old days you could adjust the trailing distributer points. to correct the problem. Todays cars are electronic. So that leaves the trailing plugs.If thats is not the problem then the dealer will have to find out why....Because they just should'nt do the back firing thing anymore.
This discussion has been closed.