Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    My 8 is kinda loud when you first start it and hits some high notes, but it's not back firing. Could that be what you're hearing?
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Actually it has seemed to have stopped. When i had it in the shop to take off the winters i mentioned it to the service guy and they checked it out. Basically they told me that there wasn't a problem and rotary engines sometimes have a slight backfire. He said that if it became more prominent bring it in.

Thanks for the reply
  • zee2000rx8zee2000rx8 Member Posts: 15
    Just bought a new 2005 RX8.
    Wondering if everybody is waiting 1 minute with the motor idle
    before turning off. Dealer never told me that but I m pretty sure
    I have to do it
    I don't let mine idle a minute before shutting it off and have never heard that one. I do rev it to about 3K and immediately shut it off. someone posted here that it will clear the combustion chamber of fuel and help prevent flooding. Further, i have had no flooding issues with mine and i usually do short trips in mine all the time.
    Thanks for your respond maybe in Canada they are not enought updated on that kind of solution. I will use that 3k rev.
  • slayerslayer Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I figured as much but with all the little noises on the 8 and the lack of forthcoming information from the dealer I tend to get a little paranoid.

What about the other gear noises? Has anyone else encountered this? When shifting into first from idle, I can hear the gear drop in, probably normal. But when downshifting into 2nd or 1st while moving (or, for that matter, when in 1st or 2nd when moving and depressing the clutch while still in gear) it sounds like the clutch is still engaged, as in I can hear the transmission winding down as though I hadn't depressed the clutch (rather than just going quiet as the engine returns to idle). Is this something to worry about?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The transmission noises are kind of neat. The whining you hear when shifting is the syncros working. They speed up or slow down the next gear set so engagement can occur without resistance or grinding. I suggested just a few days ago we do a "[non-permissible content removed] turbo". Put a microphone under the console, and the amp and speaker in the car. The transmission whines so nicely it sounds like a turbo! ;-) The transmission is a little noisier than some because it is a six speed. More parts turning.

You can start worrying:

1. When you get extreme noises when you depress the clutch - this would be a faulty throughout bearing - usually a loud rumbling noise. The throughout bearing allows the clutch fork - which depresses the clutch, to press against the rotating clutch. When worn out the bearing will make lots of noise when you just slightly depress the clutch pedal, and continues making noise as the pedal goes all the way down to the floor.

2. When you do not get whining noises while shifting, instead grinding ones. This would indicate worn or broken sycro rings (3rd gen RX-7s are well known for this problem in the 3rd/5th gear sycro. assembly).

3. When you get other noises than the rumbling noise which changes as you move the clutch pedal, but only when the clutch is fully depressed - this would be the pilot bearing - it goes between the transmission input shaft and the engine eccentric shaft, and it makes noise when it is worn out and the transmission input shaft is not turning (clutch depressed, transmission in gear, engine running). The noise would change pitch when the engine is reved.

Either bearing I mentioned will either be bad from day 1 or will last longer than the clutch. They are changed by your mechanic when the clutch is replaced (if he's smart).
    is the "thunk" when shifting into first from an idle. It's funny, i've almost always driven a manual and really paid no attention to the tranny noises of the 8. A friend drove it a few weeks back and that was his first comment "Those transmission noises would take some getting used to!!" I have paid more attention to it since then and it is somewhat noisy, but, oddly, I like it. However, it shifts like a dream and as pathstar1 posted, these all seem to be normal. I'm going to roll mine into the dealership in the next week or so for my first oil change and some add-ons I've ordered and will have them give Rex a full physical just to see that everything is going ok!! If we're having any issues, I'll post them here!!
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    I have a question regarding avibration in the stick shift. Basically when im driving, first gear around 5-6000 rpms shifter vibrates. Second gear same 5-6000 rpm. 3rd gear same. has anyone else felt this. Im feeling a bit of a lag in the HP as well.
    Because the vibration occurs at the same RPM in different gears, it's not the transmission. The extra intake ports (5 and 6) open at around 6000 RPM. The transition or the way Mazda compensates for the transition adds instability to the engine combustion sequence. There is a slight fall in output during the initial transition. I don't notice it as the car I drive has a piggy-back fuel computer on it, and we've tuned most of that bump out of the power curve. I'll let others with stock systems comment on whether they feel the vibration.

I have to compare the RX-8 to my 3rd gen RX-7 as I drive both, and there are two very noticeable differences. First, the idle on the RX-8 is quite rough. I have to constantly convince myself the trailing plugs are fine (fouled or worn out trailing plugs often show up as rough idle). Second, the RX-7 is "in your face" re accelleration. The RX-8 is sneaky. It seems to be accellerating slowly, and the next thing you know, you're 20-30 Km/hr over the limit! When you rev above 6000 RPM there is a nice kick in accelleration. This is why the manual trans. car is "better" - in my opinion. The auto doesn't have this kick, as the ports are not there because the auto trans. can't take the RPMs where the ports function (6000 to 8500 RPM).

Oh, I guess there is a third very noticable difference. The RX-8 has a much nicer transmission. As I said elsewhere, I think it's the nicest and easiest manual I've ever used! My RX-7 transmission is a "clunker" by comparison. ;-)
    Yes, i do have vibration in the stick - quite a bit a times - haven't paid particular attention to exactly when. And a BIG YES on the rough idle!! It does some dips and coughs sometimes sitting at stoplights that I have to convince myself that it will keep running. I also told myself just the other day that it does seem to be slipping in the power dept, but I attributed it to getting used to it and not being quite so impressed when you mash the gas in 3rd or 4th? Overall, the car is running and shifting great!! Am about to hit 1700 miles!!
  • rx8crazerx8craze Member Posts: 10
    i recently had my first warrenty work done. the problem was that when i was backing out from the garage..the brake will squeek when it is applied
    the dealer replaced the calipers with what they called "updated calipers"
    the noise went away for a month or so..and now it is back...took it back to dealer and the tech told me that mazda is still working on a lot of bugs on this car, and the squeeking noise on the break is that there is lose space between the pads and the caliper...can anyone tell me if this is true or not??
    -transmission
    -overall, this is great trans...and it is my first manual..
    the question i have is that..during rush hour..when im in first gear..when i start moving and apply the clutch..sometimes it makes clunking noise..
    i read pathstars note and seems trans makes these type of noise when it has problems...but mine makes once in a while..potential problem??
    -last thing is..when im shifting..sometimes it seems that the gears are about to grind whenever im shifting into third...i do not get this from any other gears..only third. feels about to grind as in..it is kinda noisy compared to fourth and up..and it also seems it takes least effort to push the gear into third than any other gears
    -----------
    besides these and few others...i love this car!..I cannot think of any other car i would of purchased for the amount i paid
  • rx8crazerx8craze Member Posts: 10
    I read what path star noted about 5 thand 6th intake ports openning up and feeling the nice "kick"
    -well...i do feel the nice kick..but do feel it over 7000 rpm
    i am concerned that possible issue with intake port timing?
    i read few month back about review on 04 rx-8 by..forgot which mag, but states the one that they were test driving had stuck 5th and 6th ports..
    also...i dont feel the kick all the time..sometime i dont feel much difference in power while going upto 9000 rpm...is this based on outside air temp and humidity??
    and also..if indeed there is issue with ports or any other issues that needs to be address...will the check engine light come on?? or does it only come on on certain problems??
    Wondering if you have any suggestion of make of oil to fill up the motor when missing some. I know it's 5-20 but does anybody had better or bad performance with some make?
    If the trans. only makes the clunking noise occationally I wouldn't worry about it. It could be the car calibrating the ABS, or just a slightly sticky part somewhere in the system. If you don't get the grinding, just "almost", it is probably the syncros. are a bit too efficient in that gear. Often problems like both of the above can be solved by changing the transmission oil. The oil gets full of metal during breakin (first 10,000 mi. or so), and it can interfere with syncro operation. I like synthetic trans. oil - it improves shifting and lowers operating temps. - Royal Purple is what I use.

The exact area that you get a power push depends more on the engine fuel map than the port transition - the ports may switch just fine but Mazda played around with the map up to the "M" flash to improve fuel economy, so we may have lost some of the kick. Our re-tuned car got it back (with a lot of tuning work), and we forget what "stock" is like ;-) . I'll have to turn off the piggyback fuel computer one day soon to see.

I've only found two manufacturers making 5W20 (the "W" is important - it means the oil viscosity was measured at water freezing and boiling temps., not at some arbitrary temps.). I haven't seen any difference between them.
  • andrijaandrija Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have been reading this forum for some time now, and i am seriously interested in buying 6speed manual RX8, but i saw that it has many little problems.

So what are your main thoughts, Should i buy it or not ???

All the best.
  • chessiechessie Member Posts: 9
    I have had my rx8 since November. I chose it after hard debate. I love my car, but have had alot of problems with it. I have had my catalytic convertor replaced. The engine will crank and not start from time to time. I would never talk anyone out of an 8 because as I said I love mine, but be aware that these problems may occur.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    remember, your reading the problems board.....if you read the problem board for any car you won't buy anything :P

Autoweek magazine stated their long term RX-8 test car had some quirks and bugs that got worked out...but they still loved the car tremendously. The rotary is a little different than a traditional piston engine...if you remember this the car is pretty good.
  • problemsproblems Member Posts: 8
    BOUGHT MY CAR IN JAN,05. SINCE THEN I'VE HAD IT IN FOR SERVICE 8 TIMES, THE PROBLEMS RANGE FROM VIBRATION TO REPLACING THE BACK WINDOW,LAST VISIT I WAS TOLD I HAD TO GET A NEW ENGINE. NOW MY BRAKES ARE GRINDING AND MY HEAD LINER IS FALLING WILL BE TAKING IT IN FOR THAT. WHATS NEXT !!! I'M AM WRITING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, CAN TAKE THIS CAR ANYMORE. NICE LOOKING ON THE OUTSIDE BUT JUNK ON THE INSIDE !!!!!!
    If it's used, the problems may not be Mazda but the treatment it got from a previous owner.

If it's new, have you tried contacting Mazda to get things resolved? And, how is the dealer treating you?
    HI, YES SUPPOSEDLY IT IS A NEW CAR. AND I HAVE CONTACTED MAZDA AND THEY TOLD ME MORE OR LESS EACH MAZDA DEALER IS INDIVIDUALLY OWNED AND TO TALK TO THE DEALERSHIP,WHICH I TRIED FIRST AND DIDN'T GET ANY HELP THATS WHY I WENT TO MAZDA. WE TRIED TO TELL THEM WE DIDN'T WANT A "NEW" CAR WITH A DIFFERENT ENGINE PLUS ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT ARE GOING WRONG WITH IT. ALL THEY COULD SAY IS THAT THEY WOULD GIVE US A GOOD TRADE IN BECAUSE NOW IT IS USED. NO THANKS !!!!!!!
  • jgorjgor Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I love this car. it is a great performer. I have had the catalytic converter replaced.... That was right out of the show room. I also have a freind that has had his RX 8's converter changed as well. The dealer we are dealing with has been very good.
    There does seem to be an issue with the catalytic converter though.
    I have only 1000 KM on the car, and I only drive it on weekends or for fun during the week.
    Again I really love driveing this car.
    I have the same issue too, forgot to mention it in my "Gear noise & ABS" post. 3rd feels like it's about to grind, kind of "clunks" into gear, you can almost feel the shifter being pulled forward, but it never actually grinds. Coupled with the 1st and 2nd noises (apparently the synchros, thanks pathstar1!) I was getting nervous.

My baby is back in the shop today. One of my transponder keys was faulty, so they ordered a new one. Guess what? Apparently Mazda do not provide replacement keys for the RX-8. Instead, the dealer got an entire "lock set": 2 new transponder keys, 1 new service key, and door/trunk locks and presumably a new ignition-key interface (dunno what that's called). So instead of spending 10 minutes recoding the keys, they now have to replace all the locks. Bizarre.

Also had my first panic moment recently. Some moron in front of me on a freeway on-ramp drove over a wood plank and sent it hurtling towards my car, taking out my passenger-side wing mirror. Note to others: if this happens to you, pray you retain the plastic color-coded cover. Mine flew off and I had to drive back to the on-ramp in the rain to look for it. The difference between replacing the entire mirror assembly, or just the glass for 10% of the cost.

One other thing, the car has been in twice for some severe driver seat noise. I'm not a small guy, but I've never had a problem like this before. Whenever I enter or exit the car, or take corners with any speed, various parts of the seat emit a loud creaking noise. They fixed it once, for about 3 days, and then it came back. Anyone else have this problem?
  • xoomxoomxoomxoom Member Posts: 4
    Rx-Rick - What was the outcome on the oil/yogurt on the dipstick - I'm getting the same thing after 19K miles.
    with the dealer. Sounds like this car had a previous life somewhere. What was the mileage?

One thing to keep in mind...we all get mad when we have a car that is trouble-prone and we end up making a BUTT of ourselves in the showroom or the service department. Yes, I'm guilty as well. You need to call or drop by sometime when you can actually discuss the problems and negotiate a solution. Chances are, you're not gonna get 100% of what you want and neither is your dealer. What do you want them to do to fix it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just put myself in your shoes and I'm not sure what I would even be expecting the dealer to do at this point.
    what are the symptoms if your CC is faulty? I have a late 04 with less than 2K miles. Is this something that rears it's head as mileage increases or is a bad one recognizable from the start?
  • mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    Hi Slayer,
    I traded in my second RX8 because of the power seat. The thing broke twice, Mazda fixed it but said they would not do it again.
    I am a big guy, however, the dealer saw me when I purchased the car and never mentioned the seat would not work with a big guy.

I purchased a new rx with the manual seat and have not had the same problem.

The side of my power seat actually separated. Not sure why they cannot keep it together. I have owned every gen of RX7 and never had these problems...by the way I was the same size then.

Seems ridiculous to change out locks when you can program the keys. Not sure Mazda has this service thing worked out as far as RX8's go.
    HI, THE MILEAGE WAS 200.AND NO I MIGHT FEEL LIKE IT INSIDE, BUT I NEVER WILL RAISE MY VOICE OR LOOSE MY COOL, THATS JUST NOT MY STYLE. I LET MY HUSBAND TAKE CARE OF THAT ! WE HAVE TALKED TILL WE'RE BLUE IN THE FACE. BUT WE'RE DEALING WITH PEOPLE WHO GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND, BELIEVE ME WE WANT TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS. LIKE WHEN WE TRIED TO TELL THEM THAT WE DIDN'T WANT THAT CAR WITH A DIFFERENT ENGINE BECAUSE WHEN WE GO TO SELL IT WE WILL HAVE TO TELL THE PEOPLE WHY THE VIN #'S DO NOT MATCH, OUR RESPONSE WAS THE HEAD SERVICE MANAGER DIDN'T REALIZE THERE ARE VIN # 'S ON THE CAR AND ENGINE. DO YOU SEE WHAT I'M DEALING WITH? KEEP ALL POSTED ON THE GRINDING BRAKES.
    In case somebody never read that it will be there
    Flooding service bulletin
  • jgorjgor Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    In my case the engine light came on shortly after picking up the car from the dealer.
    We brought the car in... The diagnostics pointed to the CC. They ordered the part and installed it within the week.
    The car runs great now.
    We do have some miner issues.
    The dealer is going to replace the passenger side head light lens (it has a film on the inside of the lens ).They are also replacing the window seal on the rear pass. door... (it was not properly installed at the plant)
    I have owned several Mazda's over the years.
    Believe me when I say Mazda's have always been the most trouble free cars I have ever owned.
    I work for one of "the big three" ,I drive my employers cars. (I have 3). they are always in the shop for something.
    I gave my nephew my old 88 MX6 it has over 350,000 KM on it. The car still runs strong. The only things I ever did to that car were exhaust, brakes and tires.
    We have had an RX2, RX4,RX5 wagon, Cosmo, GLC, RX7, MX6 and the RX8.
    All great cars......exept the RX2 in snow!!!! Real Bad!!!!
    Sorry about the rant.. but Mazda has always been a great innovative car company.
    Hmm, I hope it's not a problem specific to the power seats because they're the only option available where I live. Don't get me wrong, the power adjustment works 100% it just creaks and squeaks when I sit down and take corners hard.

Incidentally, I don't know if it's worth asking this since most of you here seem to be from the US, but how long does your dealer generally keep your car when you take it in? Mine's now in for the second time since I bought it, and both times they've ended up keeping it overnight (in spite of assurances to the contrary when I drop it off). To make matters worse, I have to kick up a fuss to get a loaner (yesterday the salesperson who sold me the car actually gave me HER company car because they didn't have a loaner available). Seems stupid to me.
  • buffalo66buffalo66 Member Posts: 6
    2 questions: first is: if my car floods is the towing covered under the Mazda 4 year roadside assistance package? And all I would have to pay is the spark plug related repair?

Also, I am buying from an out of state dealer since its $5000 less. Will I have more trouble getting things repaired by a local dealer under warranty if I have any problems?
  • grantlugrantlu Member Posts: 12
    I've certainly never had a problem getting warranty service on any car that was purchased out of state, whether due to a move or due to saving money (I once bought a Jag from NYC through priceline!). I think the dealer is happy to see anybody since their work is reimbursed from the manufacturer regardless of who sold the car originally.
  • mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    My power adjustment worked fine. The side support split open and had to be replaced twice.

Generally my service is excellent. Car is repaired same day. If a part is needed and the car is kept overnight, I get a loaner.

I am in the US. My dealer really worked to get my business in New Hampshire. I had previously bought from a Mass. dealer.
    I am so upset at this point. I have had my 8 since November and had nothing but problems. Looks wise it is a great car and when it runs right she drives great. I have had the car in for service at least 5 times now for various reasons. I have had the catalytic convertor replaced, the computer updated several times, I was told that they could not figure out why on occasion it would not start. It continues not to start, and last night it would not start when I came out from work. Luckily I had someone near who could pick me up , because my husband works nights or I would have been stuck in a dark mall parking lot. When I called road side assistance I was told it would be about 2 hours before help would arrive. I decided to have my friend take me home and come back in the morning and try again. When I called road side assistance I was told they would not transport it to my selling dealership, because there was a closer dealership, I informed them that I was not comfortable with that dealership, because they could not correct the problems in the past, and that I wanted it to be taken to the dealership where it was purchased, they refused!!!! I then contacted my selling dealership explaining the situation, the dealership said they would pick up the cost to have it towed. Either they get it together, or I will be looking into the lemon laws. My husband and I have purchased over 20 new vehicles while we have been married, my first choice when choosing the 8 was a nissan 350 z but opted for the 8 because of the 4 seats, we own a nissan titan, and nissan is a pleasure to work with mazda is a nightmare. All I can say is mazda lost a customer, and I will continue to tell people about my experience. This is only the beginning of mazdas experience with me. I hope everyone has a better experience then I have, and for those wondering if they should purchase an rx8 all I can say is good luck.
    I am reading alot about he milky oil caused by condensation. I disagree with some of the things that have been posted. I follow the warm up procedure to the T. I do not start the car and then turn it off, because I was told not to. I went to my dealer because of this problem, and the dealer told me oh the rotary engine just does that. Now I am hearing in the forum, that spark plugs and oil is being replaced if no the entire engine. These techs need to get their act straight.
    I KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, A PIECE OF JUNK ! I
    HAVE A RX8 AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. I'VE HAD IT IN FOR SERVICE NOW 9 TIMES AND A NEW ENGINE. THEY JUST REPLACED MY BRAKE PADS YESTERDAY, BUT IT STILL SQUEAKS WHILE BACKING UP. I WILL DO ALL IN MY POWER TO TELL PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY !!!!! GO TO THE LEMON LAW LAWYER ON LINE AND TELL THEM YOUR PROBLEMS AND THEY MIGHT TAKE THE CASE. IT WON'T COST YOU ANYTHING EITHER WAY. I'M HOPING THEY ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO HELP ME.
    " GOOD LUCK " PROBLEMS
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, THEY REPLACED MY ENGINE AFTER 2 MONTHS OF OWNING THE CAR. I'VE HEARD THROUGH GOOD SOURCES THAT THERE ARE RECALLS ON THE ENGINES, BUT YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE LITTLE GAME OF TAKING IT IN ALL THE TIME. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! !
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    please stop using all caps. all of your posts are just unreadable. personally, i skip right over posts that are all caps, so I would think many others do, as well, in which case, you are not reaching as large of an audience as you hope. thanks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It absolutely makes me sick to think about it - I heard the cement on aluminum grinding in my sleep last night. I couldn't look at it again this morning. The real pI$$*^ to the whole story is that I was picking up lunch for someone else at McD's. I don't even consider McD's real food and wouldn't have been there had it not been for HIM. Luckily, it is not so noticeable just standing and looking, but, every time I wash Rex until the end of time, it's gonna be there!! CRAP, CRAP!!
    After a fight my rx8 is finally back up and running. I find it unbelievable that a five month old car is having the problems it is. For those of you having a problem with your car starting, or dying I just had my plugs replaced on the car. There is an upgrade on the plugs that help to eliminate this problem. The plugs that were in my car do not allow the fuel to escape from the plug causing it to flood. The new plugs have cut outs in them to allow the extra fuel to escape from the plug. Even though my car is up and running today, that does not mean it will work properly tomorrow it is way to unpredictable. I will still be discussing this situation with a lemon law attorney.
  • stodiejastodieja Member Posts: 6
    there is a mazda service message for this concern. it is normal charactistic of the motor to have some condensation build up on the oil dipstick. the service bulletin states that there is a new dipstick to put in and a white plastic cover that goes into the dipstick tube so no condensation builds up on the dipstick. it is normal
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    I too have the "Milky Oil" appearing on the dipstick. I have a number of questions about this phenomenom:

My experience is that a milky appearance is due to an emulsification oil and water ( ever make mayonnaise?) and to do that requires vigorous beating, and/or high temperatures, as in an engine.
    I can understand condensation building up on the dipstick but that would just be droplets of water and I would think that something else would have to happen to make the emulsification.
    If the condensation is running back into the oil in sufficient quantities to make it milky isn't that affecting the lubricating properties of the oil?

I am going to take the car in but I dont want it torn apart for no reason. Can someone please explain the "milky oil" beside just condensation?

I am getting nervous because in a normal reciprocating engine this emulsified oil would point to something like a blown head gasket.

Has Mazda issued a statement that the "milky oil" does not affect the warranty.
    Sorry for the long posting but I am very confused about this issue,
    It is still a great car tho and I would recommend it to anyone reading this who is thinking of buying one.

Vince
    Hi, Just to let you know I've have my car in for service now about 9 times, the last one was for brake pads. I purchased it in Jan. I've had the plugs replaced, new back window, but out of all the replacements I've gone through the big one was the new engine. I have contacted the lemon attorney and he took my case. I love the look of the car, but a far as I'm concerned its junk !!!!!!
    Good Luck !
    If you drain the oil and it's milky then there is probably a leak - usually it would be the "O" rings that seal between the engine rotor housings, centre plate, and end plates, based on previous rotary engine experience. A few owners have had new RX-8 engines replaced due to this (usually the "O" ring is damaged during assembly or the engine casting is flawed). You would see this very soon after getting the new car.

The milky oily substance on the dipstick IS normal. Rotary engines have had this from day one. It is milky because both oil and water condense in the tube, and that allows them to mix well. They condense there because the tube is the coldest part of the running engine. If you insulated or heated the tube you would not get the condensation there.

Why do rotaries get this while piston engines don't? It has to do with poor internal ventilation - the rotary doesn't pull a vacuum in the oil holding cavity (crankcase in a piston engine) while running, so the air and vapour there can't be easily sucked out. In other words, the "crankcase ventilation valve" doesn't work very well in this type of engine.

You can get rid of this stuff very easily. When you shut off the hot engine for the night, remove the oil filler cap, and perhaps the dipstick as well. If in a garage, leave the hood open, and if outdoors, leave the oil filler cap on the dash - to remind yourself to replace them before you start the engine the next day. Be careful not to get this stuff on your hands - it's acidic. I do this with my RX-7 and it keeps it from building up by allowing the water and acid to evaporate into the air. Once a month should suffice.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    why didnt you file lemon law??
    Thanks pathstar.
    I am taking it in today and am going to look at the oil to see what color it is.

I think any one would agree however that you shouldn't have to go through the trouble of opening the hood at the end of every day, and if this is such a common issue why doesn't Mazda put it into the manual to relieve the concern of the average guy that takes the car into a non-Mazda shop for an oil change only to be told they have a potential problem with the engine.

A rhetorical question but valid.
    OK,
    I am convinced, I watched the oil drain out of the sump and it was a consistant, dark brown color, not a trace of "milk" in it,
    I have a new dip stick and liner on order, and I can now sleep at night!
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    Mr. Pathstar, Thanks to your expertise on the RX8, my worries and fears have completely diminished. I recently bought an '05, pearl white, a month ago. When I first came to this message board--I panicked and felt buyers remorse creeping in for the kill. After reading several of your posts--I realized that you were right. If you follow the operating instructions (warming up/oilcheck...) your less likely to experience any of the headaches that some have had to deal with.
    I hate to ask questions that others already have, but I wanted a clarification. I studied the tips for starting a flooded engine, but my question has to deal with "normal" starting. Does the accelerator still need to be depressed for any/all starts? Or only in cases of flooding. I have not encountered a flooding problem yet-but I just wanted to be clear on normal starting procedures.
    For just about any vehicle with a computer, when starting, you NEVER depress the accelerator pedal. The RX-8 is no different. Do not touch the accelerator pedal unless it's already flooded. If you do, you may cause it to flood, though you don't actually operate the throttle body with the pedal - it's a "drive by wire" system. No mechanical linkage. So I suspect the PCM would ignore your input when starting - except when floored it shuts off the injectors.

As for the method I outlined and use to eliminate the water vapour (whitish gunk), I think you missed the part where I said "once a month". On my RX-7 I do it once a week, but it's getting old, and probably has a lot more condensation due to the twin turbo power enhancement (it produces 300+ HP - a scary car to drive)!

The water vapour gets into the oil in the rotor area, as the rotor is "filled" with oil, for cooling the rotor and lubricating the eccentric shaft, and any leakage past the combustion seals will encounter oil. This is also how gasoline gets into the oil, and the main reason we change the oil religiously ;-) .
This discussion has been closed.