Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• stevo696stevo696 Member Posts: 1
    hi there ive just got a rx-8 in red ,im in england and nobody has a spoiler on there cars yet over here,what i want to ask you is do you no where i might be able to buy one of these.any sites etc...cheers steve ps like the car
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    I see those on e-bay once in a while. you buy them and they come painted the color you want them. might check on there. i got mine through my dealer!!
  • mazdarx8ermazdarx8er Member Posts: 7
    Have u guys seen the RX-8 in x-man? I need to get the front lil parts basically accessories. I would like to buy them, I know I have seen it somewhere on NET like 3 months ago, but now I have searched and searched, and can't find the parts. Do you guys know any sources to find those products I would desperatly like to buy them. Thanks
    CB.
  • zinny72zinny72 Member Posts: 4
    hi, I just joined the club today. I have an '04 with the navigation system and am also interested in knowing how to do this. I noticed your message is well over a year old. Are you still an active member, and, have you solved the problem?? thanks, Zinny72
  • zinny72zinny72 Member Posts: 4
    hi John, just joined the club, have been an '04 new car owner. I also just recently removed the badges and found out about the holes in the front and rear that need to be filled and repainted. I am curious, did you do it, what did it cost, and does it devalue the car? Personally, I like the clean look too without them, thanks, Zinny72
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    :confuse: Does the Mazdaspeed Spoiler use the same holes in the trunk lid as the regular mazda spoiler?
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    I was thinkin of going with this body kit for when i get get my 8, but decided im going to get the mazdaspeed body kit, if you still want the X men body kit, go here

http://www.andysautosport.com/bodykits.php?id=Ma04RX&brand=Erebuni
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    You're not driving anywhere in the Boston area I hope. For $199 at BJ's wholesale they sell a DVD movie player that hangs over the front headrest.
  • bonnieb1bonnieb1 Member Posts: 3
    I have 4 stock RX8 stock tires and wheels with less than 1000 miles on them. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE40 225/45/R19 with 18 inch alloy wheels. They are too slick for winters in Chicago. Does anyone know how to find a buyer long distance?
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    you want to sell them? You're not keeping them for summer driving?

If so, put them on e-bay.
  • gambit_rx8gambit_rx8 Member Posts: 3
    "Does the Mazdaspeed Spoiler use the same holes in the trunk lid as the regular mazda spoiler? "

It is supposed to....I've heard of aftermarket ones not lining up exactly, but the problem was fixable.
  • zee2000rx8zee2000rx8 Member Posts: 15
    Hi
    Just to mention I order and install the auxmod card in my RX-8 today so I can hook my Dell MP3 player to the Tape aux.

That thing is running great witout any glitch.
    You can take a look at www.sylfex.com
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I got the PIE Mazda aux-in adapter from this place:

http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapters/pie/factory/no-external-changer/maz-pc-alp.html

$85 w/free shipping and no tax. Hooks into the OEM stereo as if it were a CD changer. Just hit the CD button again to switch from CD (or in my case MP3) to the aux in. Works very slick.

http://www.mazdaparts.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1E0000-1112606399

has it for $71.50-$74.50 plus shipping (nearly $10 for me) as well.

The only "gotcha" on the PIE is that the firmware of the radio has to be 9.55 or higher to work. For older RX-8s Mazdaparts can update the radio as well.

Dennis
  • hydroman19hydroman19 Member Posts: 5
    how did you get 19" tires on 18" wheels i"ll buy them too.. reply if you have a price
  • mazdarx8ermazdarx8er Member Posts: 7
    Hey thx, bout the X-Man Kit. But i don't like it anymore, cause my RX - 8 is Pearl White. The kit is good for blue and black colors. I was going through RX - 8 Pictures and I found this beautiful black RX - 8 which had Vertical Doors. So I went to www.verticaldoors.com to see what they have to offer. As of right now, they do not have any custom made kit for RX - 8. But they are willing to make it if 10 of us, owners decide to buy. But otherwise Universal Door Kit is the 2nd choice. What do u guys think? I would like that door on my car.Vertical Doors with Suicide Doors ain't taht something?
  • teflonojteflonoj Member Posts: 1
    Hi. This is my first time on this site. I looking to get an RX8 in the next couple of months. Just wanted to know if they is anything you can do with that Bose system. I like having aftermarket systems, dvd players, subs etc. Is they anyone that has had these kind of things done? and is it worth me doing this?
    Folks have replaced the Bose speakers and added subs. There are a couple of aftermarket aux-input solutions as well. Not many have tried to replace the whole OEM stereo with something else. I added the OEM MP3 player in dash (in place of the CD player) and added an aux-input for my XM sat radio. It does not sound too bad, but it could use a sub. There are lots more cars on the market that are more after-market stereo friendly, though.

With the NAV system you can get an expensive box (and cut some wires) and get things like games, TV, DVD video, backup camera, etc on the NAV screen.

Dennis
  • dave54dave54 Member Posts: 3
    With the 05 rx-8 am i better off keeping the Bose or getting my own aftermarket audio parts.

thnx
  • rx8red1rx8red1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello there I just got my RX-8 about 4 weeks ago its a red 04 right now i would like to put a head unit in but i can't find mounting brackets or a aftermarket front panel cover for it. Has anyone put a head unit in there rx8 if so what have you done????
  • apex8apex8 Member Posts: 2
    The bottom line, are there any Rx-8s that are turbo? I have 20k miles, and thinking of turbo after the warranty! One mod I have is the Greddy sp2 cat-back! Its looks great, and sounds nice!
  • apex8apex8 Member Posts: 2
    if no replies search old entries on this site. Everything is stock so far
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I just checked on the Crutchfield site and they don't have anything. You'll have to make your own, it looks like at the present time. I presume you have a stock radio in there? To remove the console there is one hidden bolt. Talk to your dealer about where it is and how to get at it. Or check out the RX-8 club (search for it). I think I saw the instructions posted there.
    The only ones I have heard about have been full custom install jobs (for a lot of money). I don't think there is a bracket for face plate for the 8. Not enough interest or not enough sales to get someone to make one, I suppose.

With a non-Bose system it should be pretty easy to add amp(s) and upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Even with the Bose system I have seen folks put in better speakers for a claimed improvement in sound. I have the Bose system in my GT and it sounds "OK" for an OEM system. The more you turn it up, the better it sounds (to a point). It could use a sub though as it is weak in the bottom end.

Dennis
  • rx8red1rx8red1 Member Posts: 7
    Well what about that lil door that opens under the front control panel...looked at it today and it looks like you could take that out and just put something in there but then you would just have to disconnect the stock radio
  • aphellyonaphellyon Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys,

I've had my 8 for quite a while and am in need of some new tires. The Potenza RE040s that came with the car were very nice (on dry) until about 8k. Then the noise started. Kept them rotated and balanced... no alignment issues, but by 12k the noise was irritating as hell. Due to this and the excessive quickness of tread wear, I don't think I'll be replacing these tires with potenzas. I was wondering if any of you had any +/- advice on tires you've used.
  • smshapismshapi Member Posts: 1
    The RX8 comes with a radio that is rather odd shaped. It seems like there is no way to replace the factory radio without paying a fortune for custom work. There is a Sirius radio option. Does anyone know if XM can be used instead of Sirius? I do not want one of those things that looks added-on.
  • timbmaybtimbmayb Member Posts: 4
    There don't appear to be any aftermarket head units targeted for the RX-8, yet.
    I've just finished adding a XM Commander radio to my '05 RX8. With a wee bit of modification it fits very nicely in the ashtray pocket, behind the flip-up door, so everything looks stock. The receiver box sits under the back end of the console between the rear seatbacks. It is direct wired into the stock radio via the connector used for the cassette deck and works quite well. PIE makes this direct interface (two parts - #maz/pc-alp and #alp/m-rca). To listen to XM you push the CD button - the RX-8 display says "EX 1" and you hear the XM. If you put in a CD it will switch from EX 1 to CD.

I'm puzzled about the MP3 add-on option. Does anyone know what form it takes? I was hoping the CD would play .wav and .mp3 files, but it only plays standard music CD's, not mp3's. What medium does the mp3 player use?

Oh- the XM commander takes up most of the area behind the flip up door, so I had to remove the cigarette lighter. No problem, don't smoke. But it's handy to have a power outlet up front. See that little round hole plug in the dash just to the left of the glove box door? There's nothing behind it. I picked up a Radio Shack power outlet and with a minimum of filing it fits perfectly in that hole. Wired it up to the old cigarette lighter wires and now have a power outlet right on the dash.

Wow, this post got too long.
    Both Sirius and XM offer units with FM outputs. You select the FM frequency on the sat. unit and then tune it in with your RX-8 radio. No modifications required. Yes, purists would complain that you are converting digital audio to analogue, but in a car the quality of the listening space is low enough you shouldn't be able to hear the difference.
    The mp3 option for the earlier cars was a new CD deck. I think in 2004 Mazda switched to decks that play MP3s stock. It could have been 2005 so don't quote me.

If you intend to install one, be aware there is a "hidden" bolt to remove the interior panel. Talk to your dealer about where it is - they were warned after several panels were broken.
  • timbmaybtimbmayb Member Posts: 4
    I had read about the hidden bolt, so was prepared for it. But it turned out mine didn't have the bolt installed at all. I found where it should have been. The only bolts holding the radio in were the two on the front bottom. The wiring harnesses are really a [non-permissible content removed] to deal with because they are so short and the connector latches are not friendly. Fortunately, I didn't break anything.
  • hargharg Member Posts: 1
    aphelloyon,

Have not had the same problem. The tires may not have been rotated to turn in a different direction. Howling can be a problem when this is not done. You can go to Tirerack.com and look up the different ways to ratate non-directional tires. Hope this helps with your new tires.

Harg">link title
  • moadhmoadh Member Posts: 15
    Well lately ive been thinking of upgrading SOMETHING in my 8.. And ive come to the conclusion that i need to amplify the sound aspect. Im sure all of you have noticed that the RX-8 isnt ur regular Ferrari F430, it has more of a purring sweet sound to it. well im looking to change that! i want people to turn their heads when i come up on the corner. Anybody know any good exhaust system for that? Thanks
  • garryngarryn Member Posts: 1
    I saw there was one person who said do not install the turbonator. I just purchased my 2005 rx8 and love it. not thrilled with gas milage but knew that going in. has anyone else installed the turbonator? also there seems to be some oil on the air filter and hose. Is this normal? thanks, Garry
    First the oil issue. It's normal. It's there because the renesis injects oil in the intake stream and this oil gets splattered back in a phenomonon call "standoff". Something common in "piston ported" engines (yes, the renesis is rotor ported not piston ported but the effect is the same). Some of the oil can also come from the PCV system under hard cornering, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this with the renesis and RX-8 setup - the 3rd gen RX-7 gets a lot of oil in the intake due to hard cornering. If you look closely at the intake tract, on the bottom of the rubber hose leading to the throttle valve you will see a plastic resonator there. If you remove this you will find it contains oil. I recommend draining it from time to time as the oil prevents it from "resonating" as it's supposed to. I'll bet the dealer never cleans it!

Turbonator - there is a simple reason not to use this or any other non-stock intake device. Any different turbulence introduced into the intake stream will disturb the air flow measurements, which are done with a heated resistor that is cooled by the passing air. The car has been tuned with stock parts and therefore "stock turbulence" in the intake stream. If you install any different devices, you should then retune the car with the new turbulence in mind. The turbonator is supposed to help with fuel vaporization, but you have to wonder how it can do this so far from where the fuel is injected! It may work in a carburated engine, but is not a good idea on a computerized fuel injected engine - in spite of what they may say when trying to get you to buy one!
  • rx8wannabrx8wannab Member Posts: 17
    I'm getting an 05 AT Sport today. Has anyone installed an aftermarket moonroof? I'd appreciate any suggestions or experience people have.
  • mcusmcmcusmc Member Posts: 7
    We are waiting for a 2006 RX-8, just gave the dealer the specs and are awaiting word on when we can expect to follow through with the order.
    Has anyone had remote start added to their RX-8? Any problems? What about "ride flat" tires? (I think that's the terminology) Anything new from Bunnygirl?
    Unless you really need it, remote start is a "bad idea" (pat. pending). It disables the best security system yet invented - the vehicle immobilizer system. To add remote start you have to hide a key in the car (close to the ignition key switch). Most installers put it inside the plastic housing around the steering column. Most theives know this! Say "bye bye" to your car! The reason the key must be there is the car will not start unless the system senses the chip in the key close by. When I say it will not start I mean the engine will not get fuel. The car will still crank and determined theives may even try to "bump start" it - but it will not run! Even if you cut the key body off (leaving the handle and chip in the housing) you still have disabled the immobilizer system, and anyone can "hotwire" the car. Note that this immobilizer system is different from the "key in pocket" system the 2006s offer. The new system takes it one step further by extending the range of the sensor.

What we really need is the immobilizer system built into the transmission insead of the engine such that it locks the car in neutral (or Park for autos) until it senses the key in the car - for those of us who need to get the car warmed up before driving it - not really applicable to the RX-8 though. I wouldn't want a remote start system to try to start my RX-8 when it's sitting at -20 deg. That's just asking for a flood!

The tires you're talking about are "run flat". Close. They work but you do have a tradeoff - they run a little rougher as they have stiffer sidewalls.
  • rickny1rickny1 Member Posts: 1
    This information is not entirely true nowadays.. I have a 2005 Mazda 6s Sport Sedan, and I installed the genuine Mazda remote start kit. Contrary to what you stated, it does NOT require a key be left in the vehicle, and it does NOT disable the immobilizer system. What it DOES do is has a small RF transmitter that is installed around the collar of the ignition switch. The module of the remote start (which replaces the Mazda factory alarm), is then programmed when the system is first installed with the correct RF information to send to the immobilizer when the system is activated. When the reote start is activated, the module causes the RF information to be transmitted to the immobilizer, and the starter is enabled for the remote start in the same fashion it would be if you used your key.

So, if you are looking at a *Mazda* genuine remote start system, the issues with the immobilizer system mentioned above do NOT apply. It does NOT disable ANYTHING that the poster mentioned.
  • vingieselvingiesel Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 6 speed manual and had them throw in an aftermarket moonroof. It works great and has a lifetime warranty. The dealer hooked it up for about 1100. I would make sure whoever you go to has the lifetime warranty or at least to last as long as the car. It was definately worth it!
  • rx8wannabrx8wannab Member Posts: 17
    Sounds good...do you know the brand & model? And, I assume it is a "spoiler" type model? How many inches of headroom did you lose? There isn't much to spare in the RX8.
  • vingieselvingiesel Member Posts: 2
    Yep, it is a spoiler model. You don't lose any head room, as it fits perfectly in between your roof and upholstery. It is the Hollandia 700 model. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.webasto-us.com/press/en/am_auto_sunroofs_3425.html
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks.
  • mcusmcmcusmc Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for replying to my remote start question. Can you be more clear? Was your Mazda genuine remote start system added by you, the dealer or factory installed? We just ordered our 2006 RX-8 automatic last week and are very excited. A few years ago we added the remote start to our Lincoln. We love to enter our car that's nice and warm or cool as a cucumber. I would hate to give that feature up. I would think the remote start would be an asset as everyone says to let the RX-8 warm up.
  • hobbyhobby Member Posts: 1
    hi, i just bought a 2005 rx-8 and would like to know where i can get a factory installed gps system for it or one that will be installed in the dash and not sticking on the window. Thanks.
  • russo1russo1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out anything about the DVBD playing capabilities? I have a Nav unit, it won't play DVD movies and I was wondering if anyone knew how to upgrade it to play movies?
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    I've read msg's about the remote starter switch, I have a 2006 RX-8 6-SP with the Smart Key. Any body know of a Switch for this year and transmission that will still have factory remote functions? I've heard that none are made for manuals.
  • southward_21southward_21 Member Posts: 4
    I was thinking about putting an underbody lighting kit on my car and was wondering which is better and what is the big difference? Thanks
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    I bought my Rx-8 a few months ago and wonder if the Xzilon treatment I had the dealership apply was worth the money, the car looks great even more so when the sun does it's magic by magnifying the shine. Any one else opt to have the Xzilon treatment, if so do you think it was worth it? I know it has a five year tranferable warranty.
  • oldtimer2oldtimer2 Member Posts: 19
    I just had the Mazda dealership install a Speed Cool Air Intake system to replace the standard intake box that gets it air from the hot air under the hood. The dealer said that since they were a certified "Speed" accessory installation dealer that the new car warranty would still be in effect as long as the car was not raced.

In this connection, after installation and after the car gets to operating temperature a screaming squeal is now present from around the area near the throttle body. The dealership mechanics did not know why this noise develops nor where for certain the noise is coming from. One mechanic pinched off a rubber tube that plugged into the new cool air intake duct near the throttle body and the noise stopped until he let go of it. I thought possibly it was a leak from the rubber tubes connection so I clamped the tube on to the duct, but that did not fix the noise.

The noise sounds like either the scream of an air leak or the cavitation scream of a pump that is vapor locked and is trying to pump air istead of a liquid. The dealership finally determined the noise was not harmful only because they were stumped.

Has anyone else experanced the same thing after having this "speed" cool fresh air accessory installed to replace the stock intake box and filter holder.

Also they could not tell me how to service the K&N type filter that is included with accessory because it appears it is impossible to get to the filter without taking off the front bumper shell as they did when it was installed.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the apparent installation problems that have developed. The dealership did admitt this is the first "Speed"cool fresh air intake they ever installed. Hopefully ther is a certified Mazda mechanic that reads this foru that will tell me what the dealership should look for or who to call for help........Please help
  • msrx8msrx8 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same whistle noise that you hear. Having a Family owned Mazda dealership I am able to find out many things. That whistle will be a noise that we will have to get use to. One of my master techs told me that the resonance chamber that was on the orginal air tube that was removed was used to kill the whistle sound. Plus if you would like to contact me via email I can give you information on any questions you have acessories or car related.
This discussion has been closed.