Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 1990bonnievile1990bonnievile Member Posts: 14
    Ebay is without a doubt the cheapist way to go. You can use the buy it now button on some of them and get supper low prices, like at invoice. Dont believe me? If I had money this is what I would get, check it out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2434401462&category=6316

loaded for just over 30!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ummmm....I don't think your post is legal here.....
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    invoice?? hahaha. If you think that but it now price is invoice, good luck with your purchase. That buy it now price is a whopping $600 off sticker. And then you have to get the car from Maryland. No deal there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    In my experience, alot of dealers post listings on Ebay Motors more to use it as an inexpensive marketing channel than an actual sales channel.

I DID however see some Wisconsin dealer last week on Ebay that claimed $1k off MSRP. But once again, is it worth the hassle unless you lived in Chicago or closer? Probably not.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Does it even say what package that RX-8 comes with (on Ebay)? I would never get a car on Ebay. There is enough that one has to go through when buying a car.
    In my experience on the Ebay site, the pricing is not significantly low enough to compensate for the additional risks and in-convenience of buying "sight unseen." The majority of the time when I have found something attractive on Ebay Motors it has been an extremely low mileage specimen of a sports car or convertible (ex. 1st gen Miata w/ under 50k miles and the pics look mint the price is under $7 k) which is in my area so I can go and look at it and buy direct. So once again, it has been a good marketing experience in my usage of Ebay Motors and less of an actual acquisition channel.

However, I did once sell my car to a guy in Idaho using an Autotrader.com listing and he bought the car "sight unseen" so it does happen.

One other way I would do it would be to have a close friend & mechanic in that other city check out the car to see if it is really mint.

But once again, it's all about trade-offs and the pricing needs to justify the hassle and time!
  • rx8_is_greatrx8_is_great Member Posts: 11
    Just bought this fantastic car (even despite the HP difference) and have really enjoyed it so far!

I have been reading a lot of posts on what people are paying and trying to pay, etc and will share my experience. I live in Southern GA and found a "fully" loaded RX-8 for MSRP of $34,865; I haggled them down from 34.8 to $31,365. (including the $500 rebate for graduating college -- thanks to my wife's recent grad)

I wasn't comfortable with the deal so I called Jacksonville, FL to see what their deals were...I was shocked to hear from their General manager that they "weren't" discounting at all. I'm still not sure who and why someone would pay "sticker" price but each to their own. The dealer at Jacksonville told me he'd recommend that I'd go purchase the one I discussed earlier. Oh well, 2 days later and now I'm driving my RX-8, which I paid $31,600 out the door with taxes/tags after a 1,300 credit for trading my Honda Accord in...

Good luck to all RX-8 enthusiasts.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The deal you got sounds great, but how did the MSRP get up to $34,865 to begin with??

I just got a call from an architect in the Baltimore area that I work with who is helping his daughter car shop. He asked my opinion on a "fully loaded" RX 8 for $1,000 over invoice. It has the "grand touring" package, the navigation system and the in-dash CD changer. The MSRP is $33,600 and his deal works out to $31,650. Any comments from other owners/shoppers?

P.S. His daughter also looked into getting a S2000 at a similar price, but the difference in insurance is over $1,500 per year more. The RX 8 is considered a "coupe" with a mid level rating similar to a G35 and less than a 330ci. The S2000 is in the high performance car category that is equivalent to M3 and double the RX8. Go figure.
    For the most part, what I can tell, the RX8 is selling at MSRP.

I've heard of some dealers that are charging over MSRP and some that are giving discounts but "underallowing" on trade-ins. Some are discounting but adding in extra charges on the back end like GAP insurance, expensive wax treatments, fees for financing, and other types of creative fees. These fees and trade-in allowances usually bring the price of the car back to MSRP.

I think, in general, these cars are going for MSRP when you look at the "total" deal.
  • superbonesuperbone Member Posts: 26
    That is a great deal! $1950 off of MSRP. I know because I bought the same car minus Nav 2 months ago and paid MSRP of $31,600 and the Nav goes for $2000 MSRP.
  • mngpaomngpao Member Posts: 8
    I bought my RX8 Aug 23 from Foothills Mazda in Spokane, WA. At that time they had 22 in stock. Last week they had 12. Post Falls (Idaho) Mazda (30 miles east) had 5. Foothills will discount from the MSRP. I'm pretty sure PF Mazda will discount a bit also. For those faced with higher than MSRP, it may be worth a phone call to see if they have what you want in stock.
  • glen124glen124 Member Posts: 5
    Just completed the paperwork on my RX-8 2 days ago. I got it for $400 under MSRP. Not a great deal, but I needed a car this week. I emailed every dealer within 150 miles of me. All said MSRP except one. The local dealer matched it; they wouldn't beat it. They said they had sold about 12 so far, and I was the first to pay less than MSRP. But dang, it's a sweet car. Red, 6-speed, Sport Package. MSRP $28300. I paid $27900, plus the window tint, plus tax. No other dealer add-ons or accessories that they can then "discount", and no trade-in that can skew the true numbers. So I'm OK with the deal, and the insurance is cheaper than my '02 SVT Focus, so that's good as well. I'll try to enjoy the car and not dwell on the numbers anymore!!!
    What did they charge you for the window tint?
  • glen124glen124 Member Posts: 5
    WAY too much!! $299, and they wouldn't negotiate at all. Paid only $150 for the SVT Focus, and it has more glass. Up to about $200 was reasonable. But I wanted to have it done before I picked up the car to avoid having to find a place, take it there, be without for a day, etc. Once I take delivery, I want to be done!! Oh well, I've wasted a hundred bucks on worse things, I suppose......
    Glen124 made a good point about trade-ins skewing the amount you actually pay for a car. You might think that you're getting an amazing deal like one mentioned above but the dealer is really just giving you a fair amount for your trade. There was another example of that earlier in this forum where the poster thought they got a $1600.00 discount, but in reality, they just got a little more for their trade.

Habitat1 - I would make sure your friends check to see any hidden costs obviously. $1000 above invoice is still too good to be true in my book on a fully loaded RX-8. As for the insurance, the coupe status helps but it wasn't that much of a difference from the new Z3 I had before. $1500 more a year (for the S2000) seems extreme unless that person has a horrible driving record. Also, a female driver (and I assume she is over 25), should be getting better rates anyway. I'd look for better rates at another insurance company if I was her!
    I am paying $50 more a year for RX8 insurance than I was for my 90 Miata.

My insurance company classes the Miata as a sports car but the RX8 is not considered a sports car because of the 4 doors. One should keep that in mind and make sure your insurance company classifies the RX8 correctly - it could save you a bundle of dough.
    Getting more for the trade-in can be the same as (or better than) getting a bigger discount.

When I bought my RX8, my trade-in (as per Edmunds, KBB, and Nada) should have been about $2k or $2.5k considering its condition, miles, etc. Private party sales in this area seem to bring in only $3 to 3.5K.

The RX8 was advertised at $150 below MSRP. Due to certain laws regarding ads etc., the dealer's records had to show that it sold for the ad price. We pay sales tax on the difference (sales price minus tradin) which means yet an additional savings to me opposed to selling it for the same price private party.

Since they gave me more than $4700 for my tradin, I look at it as at least a $1700 discount from MSRP - regardless of how the numbers show on the purchase order.

Another view of the numbers - When you consider the current buy-back situation (if I had opted for it) Mazda would have to pay me the recorded sales price of the vehicle. If the paperwork showed a lower sales price (i.e. a discounted price), I would not get as much.

Hence my first sentence above.
    Habitat1

"The deal you got sounds great, but how did the MSRP get up to $34,865 to begin with??"

The MSRP on mine was $34,865 because of the grand touring package, appearance package, nav system, spare tire and rear wing spoiler. It is almost the top of the line with options.

... and about the trade difference. I'm very familiar with the "black" book as compared to the "blue" book prices the dealers use to their advantage. I know well in advance what my car is worth before going in to them. For example, my Honda Accord (2000 EX loaded) was worth approx $11K to private party sale and $9700 trade in. The difference wasn't worth me trying to sell... even though I prob could've pulled in a little more than 11k. Getting $10K was fine because it saves on bottom line taxes. (instead of paying taxes on 31K, paid on 21K)

Bottom line: Do your homework before going to a dealer and you'll be fine. There is always a better deal out there and you'll always question yours! I'm very happy with getting mine at $31.6 (fully loaded) as compared to some deals I've heard of here. Everyone should look at the smaller dealerships... you might just get lucky!
    Knowing that mngpao and rx8-is-great did well with their trade-ins when getting the RX-8, this is just another reason why leasing isn't such a good idea. It seems that the dealerships you two went gave you a fair deal!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    Hi all.....

I would like to give thanks to all of you here. I have been following the information given and a few hours ago I purchased a new RX8! Red/Blk Auto with sports package and a few extras. Out the door for $27500! They even gave me $10500 for my Hyundai XG300, which was $1500 more than I thought. It was the second dealer I went to because the 1st dealer wanted to sell me a Silver one (same options) for $720/month for 60 months. (that's $43200 to you and me)....After I finished laughing, I left! The scary thing with this car is that it's so easy to fall in love after one drive!

Thanks again for all you helpful comments. I will post a similar email in the regular RX8 board.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I would like some feedback....

I am thinking about doing some RX-8 advertising and will make one car a price leader. As consumers of the RX-8....would you rather see a price leader on a base car like starting at $23,995 (example only) or would you rather see something like a Gran Touring package or some other package as a price leader????

what type of advertising/marketing would you like to see on the RX-8?
    So far, all I've seen quoted in my local paper is the auto version at MSRP.

If I'm in your shoes, I'd offer some sort of marketing showing a base version. That would get a lot of people through your doors.

If you're trying to get the enthusiast (which most RX8 buyers are) and those more apt to buy the RX8 through your doors, then probably a GT or Sport marketing program would be better.

Let us know what you decide on and what you're going to do. I'm sure we'd all be interested.
    Obviously, a low price is going to bring folks in. So showing a monthly payment on a base model is probably the way to go from an advertising perspective.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Thanks for your input...One reason I am asking is we are selling the car to everyone but the people we expected...

So far, we have sold more to females than males. Also, the buyers have been a little older and a little younger than we expected.

This isnt a bad thing, just different.
    The only surprize about the people buying would be the female buyers more than males. Most females I know aren't into sports cars, as such.

The older and younger buyers are about what I'd expect. The younger ones are really taken by the "style" of the car while the older buyers (like myself) like it for its performance capabilities while being able to fit another couple in the back seat. If you're "in the middle" age-wise, I would think the RX8 would seem like a compromise to get the car seats in and out of, plus the "significant other" factor who wants a lot more utility in their vehicles (read "mini-van" or sedan).

I have to agree with brozen. It seems that people are real sensitive to "payment per month" rather than total price. The "payment buyer" would notice the payment advertised and get them in the door.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesday nights - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.
    I talked to two dealers tonight aboout a Velocity Red red/blk with GT package. I made a $1k off MSRP offer to the first dealership. The sales manager accepted the offer but made it contingent based on accepting dealer financing. I inquired about several fine print issues (documentation/handling fees, etc.) and found out he would only let me get financing with a prepayment penalty. I told him I would wait on the car. I then talked to a second dealership and made the same $1k off MSRP offer. The second sales manager actually rejected the offer. He felt he could sell the more popular configuration at MSRP. As my salesperson walked me out after talking to the sales manager, he and I talked one on one. I noted that he had about 15 RX-8's on the back lot. He said they were expecting another 20 or so by the end of the month and admitted the sales had been a little slower than expected. His logic was that only certain types of buyers actually considered the car. In any event, he told me to come back or he would call me in a few weeks because his honest assessment was that I would get something like my offer in short order. He actually said that Mazda had told all dealerships to try and hold MSRP pricing as long as possible to preserve the car's allure. I joked that allure looks more convincing with only 1-2 in the showroom and not 15 in the back! He laughed and said we would be in touch. Well, I didn't get the car tonight, but hopefully soon, my ship will come in!
    If your dealer had 15-20 units on hand and didn't bite on your $1,000 off MSRP (without taking their profitable financing), do you really think they'll bite in the future when they have fewer cars to sell?

Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the salesperson to call you. If sales had been that slow, they would have jumped all over your offer. They know the market and what the RX8 will sell for (at or near MSRP).

My guess is you need to up your offer. I've never known a dealership to turn down a reasonable offer if someone is willing to buy immediately.
    I posted back on Sept 27 that an architect friend of mine was looking at an RX8 with his daughter at $1,000 over invoice. She ended up buying a slightly different one (6 speed GT package but without the navigation) for exactly $30,000 which was about $1,050 over invoice and $1,600 under MSRP. She bought out of dealer inventory on September 30. The dealer also is giving them a free 15,000 mile service coupon. There was no trade in or finanicing to muddy up the accounting; this was a pure cash deal.

If saving a $1,000+ off MSRP is worth waiting, I suggest you hold off until the end of October or around Thanksgiving time. For Mazda to sell as many RX8's in one year as Honda sold S2000's in four, they are going to need to aggressively price them, especially in the winter months.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    here in Florida most dealers are loaded with rx's. my little town dealer has about 10 in stock and will deal for pocket change over invoice.

I drove several and was impressed by the car's performance etc. but can't get past the car's weird styling.

if you want one come to Florida, lots of inventory and firesale prices prevail !

HUD :):)
    I will definitely contact the Dallas dealers again around Halloween. . . and then Thanksgiving. . . and of course between X-mas/New Year's Eve! I agree that the pricing will come off in this time period. Factors working for buyers: seasonality, inventory, slackening demand, jobless recovery! I also think seeing more of them "on the road" will help cement my long-term feelings on the car's styling.

In terms of an offer, I will probably go $1k off + try to get some add-on's (like the $395 spare tire kit) for "free." That should up the value a bit. Also, this gives me time to start listing my current car to private party sell it.

It sounds D.C. and Florida are good forward signals!

BTW I don't think the car is a flop yet based on inventory levels. It appears that too many of the dealer ordered cars (at least from what I have seen) with alot of extras that not everyone wants - there aren't enough 6 speeds with only the GT package.

If the car is considered a flop but I personally like the car, then that's great news! Better prices and prolonged "exclusivity" are fine with me. The only read downside is the long-term implications for Mazda and RX-8 variants (turbo or RX-7).
  • stang0013stang0013 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my RX8 today.Nordic Green. The wife will be driving so I got the auto with the grand touring package. MSRP was $30,300. Paid $29,300 out the door. No trade and no financing. Got the car at Flemington Mazda in Flemington, New Jersey. No hassles, no haggeling. Great dealership. See Ernie Andrascik and tell him Stan sent you.
    dtran2149 - I don't believe any cars are doing that well right now; especially niche cars. The whole car industry is hurting so a dealer that won't sell a car at a reasonable offer is just foolish.

stang0013 - You got a car for yourself and yet you got an automatic so your wife could drive it? What? What happened to the selfish man who gets a car for only his gratification and makes sure his wife never drives it? Stan, doesn't she have her own car? The 6 speed manual runs circles over the automatic...hopefully, you had other reasons than just pleasing your wife!
    Have to agree with carliker on the feel of the AT vs. MT. There isn't a comparison! I was amazed at the difference between the two...hence my decision to go MT even though AT is more convenient at times. Just kept thinking, "Why would I buy a AT sports car?"

However, everyone does have a reason to do the things they do at times...no matter how strange they may be to "us" backseat drivers!

Here is my BMF! (out the door at $31.6K, w/ Nav system, GT pkg, app pkg...loaded!)

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ready2playdg/lst?.dir=/RX8+Pics&- amp;- amp;.view=t
  • flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    I got a '96 Mustang GT that Edmunds shows Trade-In value at $6000....from other post I'm thinking
    $24K + The Stang is pretty fair place to start the deal with max of $31,5....feedback?
    i'd say run your trade by terry over on the real-world trade-in values board here just to be sure $6K is a real number. Edmunds isn't always accurate with trade-in values.

My baby is AT all the way!!...Love it!....I am not M. Schumacher, nor do I want to be....the paddle shifters are fun, the car goes quick enough for me (0 to 60 in 7 is just fine, thankyou!), and if the new BMW-M5 can "forgo the traditional clutch pedal and gearshift lever in favor of the faster-shifting automatic clutch gearbox" (Autoweek, Oct. 6th), so can I!......[even if it's a totally different engine!]

Did I mention that my 70 yr old dad might be driving this car too?.....and that he only has one leg?.....and his driving a clutch is quite possibly the most painful experience that a car could have?.....LOL!......

So, an AT for pop! all the way!!.....
    I commend you highly on thinking of your father. And if the AT is quick enough for you, that's all that matters.

However, for others who are considering either, I believe I am correct in stating that there is NO comparison between a Mazda 4 speed automatic and a BMW 6-speed SMG. None. Nadda. Neicht.

And, if the 6-speed manual transmission 237 hp RX-8 is capable of "low 6's" time 0-60, my guess is the only way to get 7 seconds 0-60 with a 4 speed automatic 197 hp version is to push it off a cliff. My gut tells me that 8.5 seconds (the same time of my old 5-speed 1984 Toyota Supra) would be an accomplishment.
  • blake182blake182 Member Posts: 6
    I have read on several websites that there is a RECALL on the RX-8 because they misreported the Horsepower on both the AT & MT models. Something to do with the Emissions change when brought over from Japan to the U.S. It stated that the company would either by back the car from you or give you $500 in accessories with 4 Years UNLIMITED parts and service. Has anyone received a letter from Mazda about this or how we go about reporting our refund?
    Blake,

When did you buy your Mazda? It was mostly on the "preorders and initial" purchases that Mazda was doing a buyback. If you bought the car after mid Sept I believe you won't get a letter for buyback because the HP change is noted on the "new" window sticker. If you were one of the people who bought early you should've already taken advantage of the offer...if I'm not mistaken something like 1 Oct was a deadline to make clear your intentions.

My thought, who cares...bought my car late Sep and that whopping 9 HP doesn't make that much of a difference! The car is fast, fun, and like most are saying it "turns heads" everywhere it goes!!
    FYI - just got my new policy for my 2004 RX8 - State Farm : $1190/yr. It went up $36!!...I can live with that!!
    From Mazda Rock Hill, SC....ignore the sticker we can do much better than that was what the salesman told my father. They had 12 on the lot.
  • omicron_incomicron_inc Member Posts: 6
    Got my RX-8 10/7/03 at 10PM. Sweeeeeet car!!!!!! Titanium, Grand Touring package, rear spoiler, spare tire kit.

MSRP was $31495, I paid $30,355 excluding tax, title, and license. That's a discount of $1140 off MSRP.... BUT... I happen to qualify for the Mazda "S-Plan" which is basically dealer invoice price IF the dealer agrees to honor it. They didn't, and every dealer my state (Colorado)wouldn't honor it. Nor would they honor the S-Plan, or for that matter, go one penny below MSRP at any other dealer in the state, or in the region: New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming. I know, I called all of them.

But Mazda of Lakewood was willing to deal with me on a discount, probably because we just bought a Maxda 6S from them on 8/27! (EXCELLENT car, btw... HIGHLY recommended) They claim I got the first discounted RX-8 in the region, and based on my calling around, I can believe it.

Anyway, I had "interesting" experiences with other Mazda dealers in the area. Mazda of Longmont LIED to my wife and I about color and availability of a Mazda 6S we were ready to buy back in August, telling us that the only ones in the region were red with beige leather interiors. ALL of them were that way, supposedly. This was coincidentally the color/config of the only one they had on their lot. So we walked, and within 5 minutes of getting home we had found over 100 at other dealers in rainbow of colors and configurations. Ultimately Mazda of Lakewood got the sale because they honored the full S-Plan price.

Finally, my insurance on the RX-8 is only costing us $120 more per year than my '99 Maxima we just traded. LOL... gotta love the way the insurance institute classified this WONDERFUL RX-8.

Sorry to ramble on, folks. Hope some of you find this helpful.

- Omi
    habitat...word on the street is that the BMW SMG tranny is very troublesome. I've never driven one, so I can't comment on any personal basis.

blake...as rx8 is great pointed out, the offer affected about 3,000 owners who either pre-ordered or bought one of the first units on dealers' lots. I believe the cut-off date was somewhere around August 24-26.

I was one of the ones who got "the letter". I would think if you have not, by now, received your offer that you wouldn't qualify. Check with your dealer. Mazda has all the vin #s of the cars that qualify.

BTW...I spoke to Mazda yesterday. They said I should get my maintenance "card" next week and the debit card should be issued the first week in November (just in time for Christmas shopping).
  • eyeswideeyeswide Member Posts: 7
    Omichron_inc, I don't get it. I also am an S-Plan member. The RX-8 is not even included in the S-Plan. Never mind someone honoring the plan price.

I know because I hit the Ford Partners site daily waiting impatiently for it to show up. I called the partners plan and asked,I got some oldtimer who said "Well the RX-7 was never on the S-Plan so the 8 may never be either" I'm not accusing anyone of disinformation here, but I also see adds in the Boston Globe for Quirk Mazda offering 2400 off MSRP for RX-8's. If you don't believe me cruise their site and download the Sunday Adverts. I have seen one listed for the last two weeks, Saturday edition. I called a local dealers and asked about deals. I got the party line about only have one and can't keep em in stock. I checked the mazda site inventory and found 15 for that dealer, OK a drive by only revealed about 10 on the lot. But a lie is a lie.

Ok everyone who drives a "Demo" to work raise your hands! Dealers are just shaking the tree for the loose cash. My cash ain't fast and it ain't loose, but its green. I'm the kind a guy that pays only cash. I'm not trading the kids education for a car, and I'm not getting taken for a ride. If you demo-driving salesmen don't cut the bull when I'm ready to make my cash offer, im buying a diesel bug or Toy Prius. Because im an extremist American Consumer. Hows that for hint on how to market and who the competition is. I will stretch to buy an RX-8, but not that far. I figure you pay for the parts and assembly. Three moving parts, assembly in under an hour. Gas guzzler at an unfortunate time in the world. Do the math. God I want that car, but I'm just a working dad, wage slave. If they truly built it for me; and I believe they did, then you need to sell it to me, or I go back to my frugle ways. Pay interest indeed, I work, I dream, I scrimp. I save. I pay cash, never interest. I demand a bargain, or leave faster than you can say. Zoom-Zoom
  • blake182blake182 Member Posts: 6
    I am aware that the Default Navigation System cannot play DVD Movies because it only reads movies in the SDAL Format. But I was told that there is a Firmware Crack somewhere on the internet that will allow you to update the Bios of the DVD Reader and it will allow it to recognized DVD MOVIE Formats, etc. Has anyone had any luck with this???? I would love to watch a DVD on my 7" screen!
    $33K out the door at Harrelson Mazda Charlotte NC.
    Loaded with everything the offer. Loving it...gas milage is about 15-16 mpg right now...hope that improves.
  • eyeswideeyeswide Member Posts: 7
    Zoooooom . Zoooooom. . .
    Sunday Oct 9, I just got off the Ford Partners site. RX-8 is now listed as available on the S-Plan.
     23,200 base AT
     24633 base MT
  • mcballz13mcballz13 Member Posts: 15
    It states to use 91 or greater in the rx-8 so I have been doing that so far. However with gas prices at all time highs right now in my town I have been considering moving down to 89 octane.
    Has anyone tried this yet???
    I don't have an RX8, so don't consider this specific advice. But I've seen this issue debated on the Nissan Maxima forum and have a strong opinion.

My bottom line is that if you can't afford premium gas, you shouldn't have bought a $30,000 car (a performance coupe/sports car no less). Driving 18,000 miles a year at 18 mpg, you will use 1,000 gallons. Dropping to mid grade might save you 10-15 cents a gallon, for an annual savings of $100-$150. That's assuming your gas mileage doesn't suffer. If you lose 1 mpg, you will use approximately 59 more gallons and pretty much wipe out your savings.

I don't know what happens with a rotory engine if the octane is too low, but the first moment you hear "pinging" on a high performance piston engine, you can thank your own penny wise and pound stupid decision for the consequences. It is my understanding that an M3 has an engine monitoring computer that can detect and register low octane use and BMW can invalidate the warranty if damage results. This may be an urban legend, but I would support BMW if it's true.

The economics aren't rocket science. Insert your own figures for miles per year, miles per gallon and price differential and see what you come up with. But, in my opinion, you'd be a lot better off saving $100+ per year by raising your insurance collision deductable and being a more careful driver.