Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mngpaomngpao Member Posts: 8
    I got my RX8 at a 3-day sales event held by 3 or 4 large dealers. Fortunately for me (not them) the event turned out to be a dud - only a handfull of people attended. I made a rediculously low offer and after negotiations were finished, the bottom line ended up being $517 over INVOICE (plus tax, lic, doc fees)! The grand total came to less than MSRP by about $200. I now own an auto trans "Winning Blue" with the Grand Touring Package, wheel lock nuts, and free loaner car when it needs service. Being at the right location at the right time paid off.

It had 14 miles on it when I got it and I've driven it an additional 350 miles during the one week I've owned it. I've been getting about 20mpg so far with 40% city and 60% hiway driving. I'm told that the mileage should improve after 1 or 2k miles are on it.

Lots of heads turn when I drive by and when it's parked, people just stare at it and give me a thumbs up. What fun!
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Stick to your guns. Your contracted for price should include all options. Don't let the dealer get away with this.
  • rxgreatrxgreat Member Posts: 23
    i put a $1000 down payment on an rx-8 on 8-6-03. i signed an order form for the car on 8-25-03. before i signed it the sales manager said i would be eligible for either free maintenance or buy back. i called mazda today to ask if i would be getting the letter for free maintenance or buy back option. she said yes i would. but then my dealer called tonight and said he talked to mazda and they said if i haven't taken delivery by august 26th then all i get is the $500 and free maintenance option not the buy back option. i could still take the car but i wanted the insurance of having the buy back option. i dont know if the dealer is lying or not. i told him id be in tomorrow to get my deposit back. this sucks!
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    Why is the purchase of the RX-8 contingent on you having to have the buyback option? What is causing you to have doubts on the RX-8?

Just curious.
    1. everybody else that bought or ordered the car by 8-26-03 seems to be getting the buy back option.
    2. the letter gives 2 options not 1.
    3. the person at the mazda hotline told me i qualified for buy back.
    4. i have read reports of low MPG.
    5. excessive oil use.
    6. excessive interior heat.
    7. A/C cycles too much.
    8. since according to mazda i qualify for buy back why not take advantage of that and test drive it for 2 weeks?
    9. why should i let my dealer badger me into taking only 1 option when i clearly know there are 2? my guess is mazda isn't going to give him the commission so he's looking to get me to take the money/free maintenance rather than the buy back. i've never met a dealer that has looked out for the buyer, ever.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    You got some valid points there. Some of the issues you mentioned about the RX-8 are causes for concern. Maybe some of the RX-8 owners on this board can chime in with regards to the validity of these.

I would trust Mazda over whatever the dealer says, but just in case the dealer is correct, I would call Mazda and tell them what your dealer told you and see what they say. Better safe than sorry.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Waitaminute.....the whole purpose of the original buyback program was for those individuals who purchased the car AND THEN found out that the car was not generating the advertised hp. The buyback program was/is a good faith effort on Mazdas part to 'make it right' for those individuals.

Why would you expect this to apply to someone who HASN'T YET purchased the car? What other new cars are available on the market today which will allow you to buy the car, drive it for around for a few weeks to see if you like it or not, and then buyback the car if you are not satisfied?

1. I would expect that the 8/26/03 deadline only applies to those who have taken delivery of the car. Period.

2. The 'letter' is probably a form letter sent to those who took delivery prior to 8/26. Have you actually RECEIVED the letter?

3. The person on the Mazda hotline may have either not understood that you had only ORDERED the car on 8/25 (vs. taking delivery) or they didn't understand the buyback program fully themselves.

4. Would you expect to return ANY car that didn't return the expected MPG?

5. What excessive oil use? Can you post a link regarding reports of excessive oil use in the RX-8?

6. Excessive interior heat? Huh?

7. A/C cyling too much? I'm sure dealers all over the country buyback cars all the time because of this....

8. According to Mazda? According to your dealer you do not. You haven't a letter in your possession stating you qualify. All you REALLY have is a nameless/faceless individual on the Mazda hotline telling you that you qualified for buyback.

9. Clearly KNOW there are 2 options? Or clearly WISH there are 2 options? I'm not sure how I see the dealer 'badgering' you into anything, except trying to sell a car.

If you buy the car, and receive the official buyback letter from Mazda, everything is fine. Case closed. Go have yourself a great time abusing the piss out of the car and then take it back stating you are 'dissatisfied'. But if you buy the car and DON'T receive a buyback letter, would you blame the dealer or Mazda? Could it be, possibly, maybe, that the dealer KNOWS you would not be receiving a buyback offer and is trying to let you know that up front? Could it be, possibly, maybe, that the dealer knows they gave you erroneous info initially and is simply trying to set the record straight?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    So you agreed to buy the car with the implicit intention of returning it? That's the only conclusion I can come to here. If you put the deposit down before you knew about the buyback and fully intended to purchase and keep the car, then what is the difference? What has changed? Nothing. That is why I have to assume you wanted to return it for a full refund all along. Please explain where I'm wrong here.

OK, ok, maybe I'm being hasty. Maybe you signed the purchase order before researching the car and reading up on some of the problems folks are having. If it worries you, then don't buy the car. But I have NEVER seen a car where you couldn't find unhappy or complaining owners.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

<Why would you expect this to apply to someone <who HASN'T YET purchased the car?

because the dealer told me to come in before the 26th to sign the order form so i qualified for BOTH options then changed their story yesterday.

to answer your questions.

1. how do you know? where did you read this?
    2. no i have not received it yet.
    3. possibly.
    4. no just cars that i have the buy back option on.
    5. do a search on rx-8forum.com
    6. do a search on rx-8forum.com
    7. people all over the world that have the buy back option are going to return the cars for whatever reason they like.
    8. true.
    9. according to mazda i have 2 options.
    first of all i already sold my existing car and then put the deposit down all before mazda offered the options weeks ago. i have been driving a rental for weeks now. so i had no intention of selling the rx-8 back. but my dealer and mazda both told me i qualified for the buy back and now the dealer is hedging their bet. its a matter of principle that i should be entitled to the buy back option. if they change their mind i may change my mind and take the deposit back. i have call into mazda to clarify all this.
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    rxgreat,
    Ask your dealer to knock $1500 off the negotiated price to offset the buy back/free maintenance option.

I think that would make it a fair deal, since you found out after signing any papers that the car has less then the advertised hp.

I recently checked the paper and a local dealer here in CT only has 17 in inventory.
    1. I don't. Which is why my earlier statement began with "I would expect.....". Remember, the whole purpose of the buyback was for those who bought the cars with the assumption that they would produce the advertised hp (247hp) rather than the downgraded number (238hp). The purpose of the buyback was NOT simply for someone to have an extended test drive. Which is why the date for the buyback was set at 8/26/03.

It sounds as though you are trying to use the buyback program for something it was not intended for; an extended test drive. But now that the dealer is trying to tell you that you DON'T have two options (Mazda is telling you have 2 options? This is verbal from one individual; you don't have the official letter yet), you're getting your shorts in a wad and trying to back out. Okay, you've already sold your car. You did this, by your own acknowledgement, before this whole hp/buyback situation started. You would have already been in this 'bind' whether there was a buyback program or not. You've also said that the dealership was already offering you the $500/free maintenance. Wouldn't this pay for your rental IF YOU KEPT THE CAR?

But you seem to feel you are being taken advantage of since the dealer won't let you use the buyback program for something it was not intended for? What, is it your right as an American citizen to abuse the system? Why are you "entitled" to the buyback?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    It's not like they're not posted so they don't have a clue as to what they're getting into. I know the Hummer H2's figures weren't posted but why should the owners be surprised it gets only 11-12mpg on average? The thing is an ungainly, non-aerodynamic, massive gas-sucking machine.

Of course, if it's really far below the estimates, then that's another thing.

16mpg is not unlikely given a city estimate of 18mpg. I don't think the EPA city cycle is that representative of most urban stop-n-go commutes. The more time spent sitting still, the lower your fuel economy. My driving is mostly local. My Pro's city estimate is 25mpg. I usually get 30mpg. But I can get as low as 23mpg in mostly standstill rush-hour traffic, and that's being easy on the throttle and brake. When you're not moving at all, you're getting 0mpg. That's why I turn off my engine when I get stuck at a RR crossing (and I just got there right after the train started crossing). This is why hybrids shine in local traffic compared to highway traffic (new Prius is estimated to get 60 city / 50 hwy); they can turn off the gas engine when the vehicle is stopped.

I think the highway cycle is at a fairly relaxed pace as well. Must be around 45-50mph. I'll have to poke around the EPA site for this data.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Concerning rxgreat, if he purchased the vehicle before August 26th, then he is suppose to receive both options...at least, that is what I was told. When I called Mazda corporation (before receiving my letter), the guy told me that people were purposely going out buying the car to get the $500.00 / 4-year maintenance deal. Of course, that wasn't the purpose, but Mazda set the date for cars being purchased before the Aug. 26th date... and it didn't matter what reason they had for buying the car, they had the options. However, in an Autoweek.com article, I read that the letter got sent to the 3000 people who had pre-ordered the car.
         With my own experience, my car has performed rather well. The only concern I have is with the gas mileage. I use the car as a second car, just to drive after work and on weekends...and the MPG has been poor (for such a relatively large tank). I've read where that might just be the breaking in period of the vehicle, but I'm not sure. I don't drive the vehicle hard or push it into high RPMS. Most of the time, I keep it around 4000 RPMS or lower, so the gas shouldn't be used so quickly...especially when I don't drive it that much. The air conditioning or interior heat hasn't been a problem in the least bit. Matter of fact, the car cools instantly and properly. Much better than other cars I've been in so that must be isolated instances. The oil problems has to be isolated as well.
           From the people who I have talk to, they have never heard of a manufacturer giving the options that Mazda has (mainly the buyback option). I got my car in July, and though I'm not totally unhappy with the RX-8, there is just too much going around that concerns me about the car. Anyway, if people can take advantage of the buyback option (no matter what reason), they shouldn't be criticized for it. Personally, I didn't realize the MPG shortage until I drove it for about a month. Obviously, test drives are worthless in that regard.
    Mazdafun, I shouldn't actually see the gas dial move downward while driving just 10 miles.
    im not trying to use the buy back program for an extended test drive. actually i dont have to try to back out. mazda's position is if a person put a deposit down before the 26th they could get their money back so no problem there. people knew about the HP issue before the 26th. i think mazda changed the HP on their website before the 26th and notified the dealers before the 26th. many people could have and probably did order the car or take delivery after hearing about this and before the 26th and use it for an extended test drive. thats up to them. mazda left a small window of opportunity there. i think mazda needs to post the qualifications for getting the buy back on their website.
    I thought you actually purchased the car before August 26th. I don't believe a deposit is good enough since you didn't actually buy the car. The dealer (or Mazda) would only be obligated to give your deposit back.
  • superbonesuperbone Member Posts: 26
    >It's not like they're not posted so they don't have a clue as to what they're getting into.

They're posted as 18/24 right? Well, when I'm driving 100 miles a day with an 80/20 ratio of highway/city, I would expect to get better than 16-17 mpg. And that discrepancy really adds up over time. It's a real hassel filling up every 2.5 days at $30 a pop out here in CA.
  • starbuck246starbuck246 Member Posts: 6
    Isn't that a lot? I drove by a dealer yesterday in Alhambra CA and counted at least 12 in stock. Despite the fact that people in some parts of the US are still waiting for theirs to arrive after ordering, it seems like a lot of 8's are available.

I love the car and am willing to overlook the poor gas mileage if the prices come down from MSRP.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The Wall Street Journal in yesterday's paper did a review of the RX-8. They also said they were dissapointed in the gas mileadge of the RX-8. I don't get why. It says 18/24. Your are just not going to get that good of gas miledage in a car like the RX-8.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Living in the midwest, I regularly look at all the dealer's inventory within a 150 mile radius of me. The most I ever see are 3-4 RX8s...and those will be sold within a day or two of the dealer receiving them.

I was in San Francisco last week on business. Putnam (sp?) Mazda, which I take it is a large dealer, had 4 of them sitting in the front. I stopped in just to "chat" and they said that they got them in Thursday. Two were sold the same day and the sales guy said the remaining ones had a deposit on them given over the phone so they would hold them until the potential purchasers could get to the dealership to see them.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • rotary_rx8rotary_rx8 Member Posts: 3
    ...Well you said u went to putnam. they are a big dealer here in the bay b/c they have 14 dealerships and i think all dont charge mark-ups so we saved some money there.well it so happens i got the rx-8 form there. I got a GT package w/o the navigation and 2 tone seats with no mark-up.I got mine at around 8/16-25/03.When i went to the other dealership just few miles down the road they were selling theres for around 38gs for the same thing.The dealer was so desprite he tried to trap us in so we left that 855hole.
    I don't live in the Bay area....just there on business. I was staying at a hotel near there. With nothing to do except go back to my room and watch TV, I took my POS rental car and went looking around. Stumbled onto Putnam while I was cruising.

I have heard of some dealers charging above MSRP. While shooting the breeze with a sales rep, he said that everyone they get in is either pre-sold or sold within 24 hours of hitting the lot. They had 4 in stock...right in front of the dealership, but 2 were sold, waiting for the dealership to do delivery preparation and the other 2 had a deposit on them already.

I find the same thing where I live in the midwest. I just dound one dealer out of the 4 locals that charges above MSRP. I can't imgaine why they are able to do this other than the fact they are probably the largest dealer in the area and probably get more RX8s to sell. If you want one delivered today, they can do it. It's just going to cost you above MSRP.

I have a friend who lives in Orlando. He's been trying to buy one there for a month but can't find any AVAILABLE stock. So, he ended up ordering one. He gets his in Oct.
  • illuminatedilluminated Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from one of the bigger dealers outside of Philadelphia. They gave me a price of 29,900 on a 6 spd with Grand Touring Pkg (31,100 MSRP). Looking at the lot, they have no less than 10 in stock. The salesman said this was the first time he'd ever seen the management give a discounted price on an RX8. Don't know if that is true or not. I heard almost the same story at an Infiniti dealer last week when I got a price on a G35. I paid ($12) for the Consumer Reports report on the RX8 and I know at 29900 they are still making $2000 on the car with the markup over invoice plus the dealer holdback. I told him I will digest the offer and maybe come back near the end of the month.

It's obvious to me that the inventory on these is now starting to increase and the dealers are finally willing to discount.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    in the Washington DC area is advertising that they have 100 RX-8s in stock or avialable on order. A price of $1,500 under MSRP was quoted to a friend looking to buy in October who went to the dealership in person Thursday. She had the impression they would go lower if she agreed to take one of the in stock vehicles now. She has bought previously from one of their other dealerships and went straight to the sales manager.
  • odyceeodycee Member Posts: 33
    A dealer I went to have 11 RX8 on the lot, with a fully loaded MSRP $35,500 GT,AP,GPS - they offered me $1200 off from MSRP. At 34,300 + fees +tax = 37,000.

I didn't want GPS so the deal didn't go through.
    They are starting to lower before I thought they would... THANK GOODNESS FOR THE BUYBACK OPTION!
  • sga826sga826 Member Posts: 7
    I have seen two posts regarding Koonz Mazda in DC and their large inventory of RX-8's, but when I checked their website they only list one car. I live up the road in Baltimore and still see a limited supply.

I agree with others that the RX-8 and Z-350 have a niche (maybe a slice of a niche) market and prices will eventually drop. But they are still a good value at MSRP.

A month ago I wasn't even considering a car and vowed long ago never to buy a new car. But I got the fever bad and will be buying an RX or Z-350 soon.
  • red_rx8red_rx8 Member Posts: 5
    I took my Protege in for an oil change last week and drove out with a RX-8 (6-speed). I got $1,600 off of the MSRP of $31,100 which means I paid $29,500. The dealer had about 10 cars in stock. They told me that I was the "first" to get a discount on the car.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    BTW, I think it looks great in red. :)
    Hey, red_rx8 - That wouldn't be Tom Wood Mazda in Indianapolis, would it? That's where I got mine back in late July. I paid MSRP! That is why I'm sling-shoting this RX-8 back to Mazda! The wide distribution/heavy inventory of this car will only hurt it in the long run! I expect a car to be eventually reduced, but $1600.00 in two months? Are you kidding me? It's cool you got a great deal, but that dealership is just plain reptillion! I will NEVER get a car from a Tom Wood dealership again! I'm just glad I didn't pay over MSRP or bought a deposit for this car on EBAY for $5000+ It could always be worse!
    Having a bad day?

Thank god there's only 3 RX-8 threads active right now.....
    The more I read from you, the more I can see that the one thing you are MOST aggravated by is the fact that you paid MSRP. So the thing that angers you the most is the thing that you had the most control over.

live and learn.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I've read a couple of posts about Koonz Mazda having 100 RX8s available. From past experience with the Koonz group, I'd take anything they say or advertise with a great, big grain of salt.
    I'm not "most aggravated" about paying MSRP. Have you read my (long) posts in other discussions? Since I can give the car back, why would I be aggravated anyway? Especially since I could go right back and get it at that discounted price. It's the principle of the situation.

I'm just not too thrilled on how Mazda brought this car out. I was really excited about this car (so I didn't mind paying MSRP like many others who got the car right away), but like I said before, that was based on accurate specs and the fact I believed it wouldn't be discounted ($1600.00) so much...so quickly. The fact that Mazda made the HP mistake (with all the time they had to get it right) is at the core of my dissatisfaction. 9 HP isn't much but the fact that the error was even made (with another Mazda vehicle) irritates me. I wonder what other miscalculations they made. So, since you were wondering, that is what I'm "most aggravated" about.
    I'm being paid an undisclosed sum by edmunds.com to keep these chat discussions running!
  • illuminatedilluminated Member Posts: 2
    I wend out again Friday night and all day Saturday, set on buying a car. I got a quote for an RX-8 6MT with Grand Touring package, spare tire and spoiler for 30,100. Let's look at the numbers:
    MSRP: 31850
    Invoice: 29139
    Holdback on 6MT: 534
    Real dealer cost 28605
    Dealer "profit": 1495, 5.2%
    This is in the "good deal" range as defined by Consumer Reports (4 to 8% above real cost).
    I also got 3 other similar quotes from 3 other dealers that were a couple hundred higher.
    Who would have thought "deals" on RX-8s would be so readily available in September?

I ended up not buying because they did not have the car in stock, but I highly recommend the Mazda dealer in Flemington, NJ. John MacChesney was the salesman I dealt with. He and his sales manager gave me the best quote right away, and did everything they could for me, and with relatively little pressure. They would have had to retrieve the car from 160 miles away, which I was not thrilled with so I didn't make a deal.

I ended up buying an Infiniti G35 last night for 2200+ off sticker. It was a great deal I could not pass up and I figured even better (like $1000 lower) deals on RX-8s are about a month or two away, but I didn't feel like waiting any more. Good luck to all you RX-8ers.
    "I'm being paid an undisclosed sum by edmunds.com to keep these chat discussions running!"

lol....8^)
  • red_rx8red_rx8 Member Posts: 5
    carliker, I bought mine at Tom Roush in Westfield.
    Please list what other dealers you got numbers like that from. Flemington is a bit far for me.

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    are you really going to get one??
    maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but....

anyhoo... it never hurts to have the info. on hand, right?

plus, i'm really curious to get a handle on the market for this car. seems to be quite a bit of debate on what dealers are getting for it.

And, final reason is illuminated said he got good offers from 4 dealers and I'm sure there are many buyers who would read this and really like to find out where they can get these deals.

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    If people pay MSRP and then they find out the car is going to be discounted thats the customer's problem in my opinion. I don't think Mazda is a good car to be paying MSRP. Mazda's are not in high demand ever so there are going to be usually discounted thus they lose their value faster than a Honda, Toyota, or a Nissan. In conclusion, with Mazda's history of mediocre resale value why would you think the RX-8 would be any different than other Mazda cars resale value wise? No car is worth MSRP but with Mazda paying MSRP its just not a good thing. Finally, Mazda is making some of the most exciting vehicles in the industry right now but most Mazda's just don't hold their value real well.
    exactly: "most mazdas"
    The RX7 is excluded from that and it is POSSIBLE that the 8 will be excluded from that as well.

there are no guarantees either way with any car.

• webctbillwebctbill Member Posts: 2
    I've recently come back from test driving this wonderful machine and then trying to see where I can find the best price. In my travels, I found a unit that was marked DEMO. I mentioned "dealer buy back" and the sales person came back kind of nervous. (I had mentioned "dealer buy back" by accident. I wanted to say "dealer hold back".) He rattled off something about the dealer sending in rebate or refund checks for $250.00 because of a horsepower discrepancy, and that it was redeemable at Dealers or something that was not fully understood.
    The unit had 400 miles on it. It wasn't perfect. I tried to deal. Asked 32000 out-the-door. All they said was $34850.00 out the door. The wife and I said no and walked. I came home and did some research and found out about the "buy back".
    I went to three dealers in my area and that was the only Demo.
    My questions are:
    1. Has anyone seen a Bought back unit?
    2. And are they for sell?
    3. If so, would they put "Demo" on the window instead of used?

Bill

PS.
    My unit in question was bbcc 1.3L 2rtr 6M 1GT and chrome wheels $1455~.
    The word on the street at this point is that any bought back units would be sold to Mazda employees. The easy way to find out is to see if this unit you saw was titled or not. A demo unit would not be titled and, therefore, is not technically a "used" vehicle. A bought back unit would have been titled before and you would, therefore, be the 2nd owner if you purchased it.

brozen is correct....there will be roughly 60 units from the Mazda "buy back". They will only be offered to Mazda employees, so you won't see them on a dealer's lot unless one of the employees turned right around and sold it to a dealer or at the auction.

Mazda provided all the dealers some units that were designated as "demo units". The way my dealer explained it, the units could only be used as demo units and couldn't be sold for a period of time (it was either 30 or 60 days, but I don't remember the exact period). There may have been a mileage rider on them, too.

As brozen said, if it's been titled to someone else, it's a used car. If not, then it probably is one of the dealer's demos.

Performance is the same as the trade rags said, even with the restated HP. Mazda is sending $500 debit cards and free maintenance to those affected. But, I think the cut-off date was 8/26, or there abouts, to take advantage of that offer. So you probably wouldn't qualify.

From all reports, even the few used ones that are out there are going at or near MSRP. If I were you, I'd forget about the demo and get a brand new one since the cost is the same.
    It sounds like they are asking MSRP even for the demo units.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda had a program for mazda dealers to get one extra RX-8 to be used for test drives....the dealer had to pay a fee and agree not to sell the car until 10-31-03 or later. after this date the "demo" car can be sold to a retail buyer.
    with the option to sell my 8 back or $500 and free maintenance. i'm keeping it and getting the $500 and free maintenance.