Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Share your GTI purchase experience here.

Comments

• wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    It took over 6 months! But, it was worth the wait. I got everything I wanted and paid for nothing I didn't want.

Actually, I ordered every option they had except leather interior (hate it!). Apparently thay don't have any Rave Green with the options I wanted laying around.

I'm happy with all the options (especially rain-sensing wipers) except the Monsoon sound system - it ain't all that.

I paid 3% over invoice thru an arrangement with my employer but I'm sure I could have done the same deal on my own. Anyway, very happy with this drivin' machine - The VR6(24V) alone is quite the experience!
  • utahgtiutahgti Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 01 dub 5-speed from a subaru dealer. Had 4500 miles when i bought it in april 03. It had a few interior problems ( peeling drivers handle, broken passenger seat access )

Paid $14k and i think it Nada'd for $16k ish (at the time). I thought i got a pretty good deal especially with the miles. I now have 9800 miles and still love to drive the dub.
  • chasquichasqui Member Posts: 1
    At the end of '00 I bought a used '00 GTI here in TX. I had been looking for a golf, but couldn't pass up the silver VR6 when I drove it. It had 14k on it, and while I got a fair price, the dealer stuck it to me with the financing. I refinanced on my own shortly after, and love the car. (wetwillie - yes, the rain sensitive wipers are the bomb)
  • scottclockscottclock Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that the dealer incentives on the 04 GTI went up from 1000 to 2000 dollars but the TMV is unchanged. Why is this?
  • sdcabincrew74sdcabincrew74 Member Posts: 6
    Got mine at Metro VW and Audi here in San Diego. It is indigo blue, auto, sunroof, and monsoon system. Got it for 19,300 out the door including tax, title and reg.
  • tsxdavetsxdave Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has purchased a New GTI (with the 2.0T)? Prices paid? I'm in the Atlanta area and the dealers seem to have a lot in stock (about 20 in the metro area).

Thanks
  • brucenessbruceness Member Posts: 1
    How come you got it for less than the MSRP?
    Was there a special deal?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    2006 GTI DSG 24 and 36 mth residuals and MF please ?

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Ask here:

VW Golf: Lease Questions

Car_man will see it there.. Be sure and mention that it is the GTI model, and also the mileage allowance..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Oh yeah Golf.. Thanks

DL
  • bailey3204bailey3204 Member Posts: 4
    just got a new gti with 0 option and automatic dsg trany for 25,200 including taxes. Not sure if I got the best deal.

ps. had to return car due to a/c issues, waiting for another one to be shipped from germany. :confuse:
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    hi. i was looking to buy a new 2006 1.8T gti. how much below invoice shoudl i shoot for? i know when i bought a 2005 BMW 3 series last year it had a $2500 rebate to the dealer from BMW because of the new model 3 series. the situation is similar with the 1.8T 2006 GTIs now with the 2.0T now in the showrooms. but i dont see any rebates from VW?!

i woudl really appreciate if people coudl post their prices on a 2006 1.8T.

thanks.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Given that the new, MKV GLI can be bought at invoice, and the GTI a few hundred above invoice, I would start at perhaps $2,000 to $3,000 below invoice for the outgoing model and see what the dealer is willing to go for.

Don't forget, that car is going to be worth something like $5,000 to $7,000 less than MSRP once you drive it off the lot.

On second thought, the MKV is such a better car all around, personally, I would not spend more than $16,000 on a fully decked out new MKIV GTI. If you can't afford a MKV now (totally redesigned chassis, fully independent rear, new Wards Top 10 engine - incredibly broad torque range and relatively low fuel consumption, one of the safest cars on the road today), you may want to safe some money until you can or feel comfortable spending that much money.
    thanks for the advice allhorizon. i agree completely with one exception ;-). had i not driven the mark V gti,i woudl have loved the mark iv. there is absolutely no comparision. none! however, i am thinking about buying the car for two reasons:
    1) i bought the new body style jetta vr6 in 1999 when it first came out. now, i would prefer do to purchase a vw in the first year of production. i know about it being in europe for the past two years but i still find myslf uncomfortable purchsing util the mark v proves itself this side of the pond.

2) i think i can snag a good deal -- $3000 below the invoice before taxes and title for a fully decked out 2006 gti.

should i pull the trigger?
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    The MkV GTI is not in its first year of production, as it has been available in Europe and other markets for a few years already. Most probably the first-year bugs have been worked out.
    It's a good deal, no question, and if you could really use the money (difference) elsewhere and rarely push the car beyond 80% of its capabilities anyway, I'd say go for it.

You are asking the wrong person, though. I have been wanting to replace my Golf with an AWD hatch for years, already. There is no way I would buy another FWD car that does not even have independent rear suspension!

I spend a great deal of my commute in the twisties, often under adverse conditions (rain, fog, mud, leaves, ...). So I need any help I can get, and also love the additional safety features of newer cars.
    so, i did it! 2006 gti all decked out: leather package, luxury package, 17 inch wheels -- all the works for 18.2K out the door.

the car is amazing. remember, i am coming from a corolla heh heh heh
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    Re: "all the works for 18.2K out the door. "

Sounds like a very good deal. Do you know what the insurance rates are on the GTI? I imagine they are astronomical, no?
    Congratulations. You got yourself a great car.
    Thanks. i am enjoying it immensely. already put just over 1000 miles mostly highway at 75-85 mph. mpg was 30.7. the car it a blast to drive.

insurance: well, the insurance was not that high. i have a 1999 mazda and this 2006 1.8T GTI. i am paying $1045/year for both of them through liberty mutual.
  • ikerdomingoikerdomingo Member Posts: 2
    congratulations for your recent purchase!!! just wondering... how did you get such a good deal? I've been doing some research and the invoice price on a 2006 GTI with pck#2 & 18in wheels is abt 24k - 25k. is the dealer trying to mess with me?
    thanks to advise
    I think he got a Golf IV. Not the New to NA V.

DL
    yes, i got the Mk IV NOT the Mk V. dont beat yourself up trying to get a bargain on thsee new gtis. i tried unsuccesfully. they did come down $500 off the MSRP. coudl they have come down more? i am not sure, perhaps if i had persisted they coudl have maybe a few hundred more.

if getting a bargain is that that big of a deal for you and you are willing to pay around the msrp for the new gti (2.0T), i woudl say go for it and forget saving a few hundred dollars. although the car is not worth the msrp, once you buy it and start driving, the grin on your face will be worth far more than the msrp.
  • ikerdomingoikerdomingo Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help!!!
    I'll see what I can bargain for & let you guys know
    rgds
  • antanddaveantanddave Member Posts: 11
    Was wondering if you could provide the buy rate factor for March 2006 and the residual on a 2006 GTI with pkg #1 (MSRP $23,990). Thanks!!!
  • antanddaveantanddave Member Posts: 11
    Forgot to mention that I was looking for a 3yr/12K lease.
    Thanks again!!!
    I think they are replying on the GOLF forum.

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Ask your lease questions here:

Volkswagen Golf/GTI: Lease Questions

Car_man will be sure to see them there, and reply.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• audittguyaudittguy Member Posts: 1
    A local VW dealer gave me a price of $23,700 w/ package #1 and 18" wheels. But according to Edmunds this combo should go for about $700 less - and that info changed just from yesterday! It's now showing that there's a $1000 dealer rebate which wasn't there before. Also, there's a $309/mo lease deal on the '06 GTI! If I can get the price down to this price I'll go forward with it (I was supposed to pick up today and am waiting for the better price).
    You can allways sell your FAST on Ebay for that $700 ...

DL
  • xinnekxinnek Member Posts: 6
    Just finding a 1.8t is going to be a quest in itself. You might try myfastgti.com there are several people there looking to unload their low mileage 1.8t gti's to get the new MKV
  • 98jettadc98jettadc Member Posts: 10
    I got the GTI Mark V with DVD Nav & sunroof, Tipt trans, 18" inch wheels, leather seats and Ipod connector for $28k even. It was worth it.

--> Notes for fellow music junkies:
    1. Only the CD changer in the dashboard will play mp3 CDROMs. The VW CD changer they put in the console between the front seats will NOT play mp3s.

2. If you have the DVD Nav and you get the Ipod connector, they will use the CD changer input for the Ipod. They will DISCONNECT the CD changer in order to connect the Ipod cable, so the CD changer is disabled with the Ipod connector installed.

3. The DVD nav stereo uses Ipod playlists to navigate the Ipod. 5 playlists max. It's the only good way to play what you want on the Ipod.
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    Anyone get the DSG? I am seriously considering getting the newest GTI in August or so but there are a few things I don't like: 1) No mechanical limited slip differential. 2)I am unsure of VW reliability 3)The brakes don't seem to be all that great for a "sporty" car. Should I wait even longer before purchasing this car or is it unlikely that VW will make improvements anytime soon? :confuse:
  • fgslrfgslr Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the MK V GTI in Silver with the DSG trans and pkg 1 on 4/7/06. I have only owned manual trans cars for 37 years so was a little worried about DSG. Glad to say it is well worth the extra money for it. Much faster than I could shift with a clutch. The GTI acts like two different cars, a mild, automatic shifting, run around town car (that my wife loves) and a paddle shifting zippy sports car that I love. Best transmission I have ever had.

Also love the rest of the car and other than the minor items already mentioned on this forum, radio weak and the passenger airbag light, have found no problems with the car.

I owned the original GTI in 83 and this one is so far and away a better car in every aspect, that it would be hard to compare the two.
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    I drove a red GTI yesterday and fell in love with the DSG. I have always owned manuals before and this car satisfies my need for driving in slow city traffic and fun on curvey mountain roads. I am so impressed by all the safety features on this car. It is a real drivers car. I did not consider the silver until seeing one yesterday. I thought it the most sporty looking along with the black. I can't make up my mind. The salesman said the gray was most popular color ordered.
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    I bought a Silver DSG w/ no package and so far I've been very happy with it. The DSG behaves more like a manual to me than an automatic. The gear shifts under acceleration can feel lurchy as in a manual trans. Also if you put the car in reverse and your nose is pointed down hill, the car will drift forward like it's in neutral. It sort of freaked me out the first time. All this said, the DSG feels to me far sportier than the average auto ESPECIALLY is sport shift mode.

This is my first VW, so I had concerns about reliability as well. My last car was reliable, but I spent all my time in it wishing I was driving something else. So reliability isn't everything I guess.

As for waiting...Word is this generation GTI will be replaced in 08, so don't expect to see many changes before the redesign.

I bought my gti on 3/24 which was about a week before the end of the quarter. I got the car for 22300 and with taxes/tags I was out the door for 23650. Probably could have gotten it for a little less, but the dealership I got it from was highly recommended and I was on a tight timeline (previous car was stolen). All in all what's a hundred bucks in the long run?
  • jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    I am in the market for a new car. My existing 3 year lease is up on June 25, 2006. I hear there is a four door coming out in June. I would much rather get a four door. Where can I find pics and info on the new four door gti?
    try Vwvortex.com The best site for Audi/VW. As for delivery dates I read that production would start week 22, meaning June and deliver in say Sept... A little later than we thought on the 4dr's, Rabbit included. :(

DL
    Maybe just shoot for the Audi A3 if you want more doors, it seems to be getting the better reviews too. One report I read said it handled better than the GTI (?).
  • haulin79haulin79 Member Posts: 7
    As with a manual transmission, is there a hand brake that you can pull to prevent the car from drifting when parked on a hill?
    All cars have such a brake and in this case it is indeed a hand-pull brake. It's called a parking brake. By drifting I assume you mean rolling? :confuse:
  • gold88x8gold88x8 Member Posts: 8
    PLANNING TO BUY 06' :GTI A/T NEXT WEEK ! CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME INFO ON THE PRICE, WHAT IS THE BEST DEAL I CAN GET IN BOSTON AREA !! THANKS IN ADVANCE ! :confuse:
    Well, don't pay over MSRP. :surprise:

Around here you can't get too many price breaks on these cars since they are so new.

CarsDirect.com and MSN.com's Autos section can give you an idea about pricing.
    You might try going to edmunds.com and find the true market value of the car in your area. This should give you a good baseline for competitive prices. Also submit for dealer quotes from edmunds. Usually the first response you get that is not a canned message is worth following up. Internet sales departments usually are more interested in moving inventory so prices are cheaper and there is less haggling involved. Its how I got my GTI.

Also check out: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car1.htm

The guy who wrote it seems pretty twisted, but he raises some good points of things to watch out for.

Lastly you can get a pricing guide from Consumer Reports that will break down invoice prices, any rebates, and options. For 14 bucks I found it worthwhile. Car salesmen hate it when you walk in and know their prices for everything.
    TALK TO THE SALESMEN YESTERDAY, HE SAID I CAN GET THE INVOICE PRICE ! BUT FORGOT TO ASK HIM AFTER HANG UP THE PHONE, IF I CAN GET 36 MOS 3.9% VW FINANCE DEAL? THANKS ! :confuse:
    Just remember a lot of dealerships pad their invoice with advertising fees and other stuff that is not on the true manufacturer to dealer invoice. Do your homework and check if there are any manufacturer to dealer rebates. These won't show up on the invoice...nor will the dealer holdback (dealerships get 4% of the car cost back after they sell the vehicle - helps the dealership cope with operating costs). Just make sure your good deal is indeed a good deal.
    Isn't getting any sort of "invoice" price a good deal on a new on the market car? I cannot get below MSRP here in the Seattle area. So do those aforementioned sites list true invoice price? Now I am confused. And gold88, turn off the CAPS lock.
    In most cases invoice price is a good deal. In the GTI's case it's a new car with moderately strong sales with no manufacturer to dealer rebates (at least that I can find) - so invoice should be pretty good.

However if the market you live in is showing strong sales expect to pay more. But if you were buying a car that was a bomb (say a pontiac aztec) invoice price would have been a terrible deal. Infact the Chrysler Crossfire is being offered currently with a 5000 rebate to the dealer, but the dealer doesn't advertise that.

When a dealer shows you their 'invoice' this may not be the true manufacturer to dealer invoice. Dealer invoices have been known to include advertising fees or car prep fees. If you read the invoice and you see these fees, you know the dealer is padding the invoice.

You need to find the actual cost of the car to the dealer, which is pretty easy with the edmunds tool or the consumer reports ... report. The only thing those resources exclude is the dealer holdback (typically 3-4% of the vehicle cost).

While according to the dealer I 'paid invoice' I actually paid the dealer invoice which included an advertising fee and some other fee. The price I paid worked out to 4% over actual dealer cost for the vehicle (true invoice), which was fair for my market area. I was happy with the deal and there was no haggling. Since my previous car was stolen I was actually on a very tight timeline to buy a new car (but I didn't let the dealer know that!).
    Thanks for valuable info ! I think I got some idear on how to do my homework now !! :blush:
    finally we got the '06 new GTI pk-1, united gray for my son just in time for his grad ! we really happy with the new car, we quote the price from internet,through 5 dealership that really close to the invoice price, inspect the car test drive the car, got 10 miles on it,fair enough ! then pay for it and do 3.9% at 36 mos finance through the dearler ! pick up the car next 2 days ! things are going pretty smooth for us. thanks !!