Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ccityccity Member Posts: 1
    Good price? This is before TTL and destination charge ($640) but includes all other charges.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    this sounds great! most 4 doors w/ auto usually go for 24k.
  • mediaguy2mediaguy2 Member Posts: 38
    there aren't that many gti's left in the northeast. i had hoped for a 4-door manual. i've been given this initial offer via email. what are your thoughts. i think the three year lease should be around $300. btw, the monthly they are quoting includes taxes etc.

2dr automatic Package #2, 17" wheels with all season tires, rubber mats
    and trunk liner in Tornado Red.

24mo, 10Kmi/yr : $1417 out of pocket, $385.50/mo
    36mo 10Kmi/yr: $1380 out of pocket, $346.55/mo
  • dazzlingddazzlingd Member Posts: 4
    I can't speak for north east but I just leased a 2dr DSG with no options in tornado red for 36mo, 10K/yr for $1500 down and $330/mo.

I'm in the Chicago 'burbs.
  • xdrewfacexxdrewfacex Member Posts: 1
    looking to buy a new 2007 black gti with package 1 and premium stereo upgrade (250 watt amp vs the standard 80). negotiations ended at $24000 out-the-door. (probably could have done better, but this was my first time...) is this a good deal?
  • icyblueicyblue Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I am pretty new to this website and I am looking to buy a white 4dr 2008GTI within next 2 weeks. I live in Pittsburgh and one dealership has only a black and red 2008 GTI in stock, another dealership has a white 4dr GTI but it's the 2007 model. Are there any differences between the 2007 and 2008 GTI models? And what have people been paying for the 2008 4dr automatic GTI?

Because I might turn to the 2008 accord instead if the dealerships cannot satisfy my needs.

Thanks,
    icyblue :D
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Just sent out internet request for '08 GTI silver w/ sunroof to 3 dealers. My initial bid is 22,500 before taxes. Has anyone gotten theirs for anywhere near this price?
    Just placed an order for '08 GTI 2-door man. silver w/ sunroof, no other extras. They wanted $500 over invoice which they quoted at 22,925 = 23425. Both edmunds and KBB have the invoice @ 22,716. Dealer says the extra is for import prep and full tank of gas. Does this sound right?
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    22,716 + 500 = 23,216, so go for 23,000 and call it good. Double check your research though. The full tank of gas charge is BS, since they likely use middle grade anyway. I would use the Internet to get quotes from a couple of other local dealerships, your dealership sounds like one of those cheapskate places that would be a pain to deal with down the road.
  • cocosengcocoseng Member Posts: 3
    New to the board... and first time GTI owner. Picked up my new vehicle this weekend for $26,741.

2008 Volkswagen GTI (United Gray)
    4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
    Autobahn Package
    18" All-Season Tires
    Ipod Adapter

Think it was a pretty darn good deal, but would love to get your thoughts.
    That's several hundred dollars under invoice. I was only able to get $500 over invoice on my deal. Was this a car on the lot? I had to order mine.
    It was on the lot... I didn't really want the iPod Adapter but for the deal they offered me, figured I'd take it.

So far I am absolutely loving my car. It replaced my 99 Jetta, so there is a major difference between the two, but was just joking to my wife that even my boring commute to work feels like I am driving a different route in the GTI.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    My dealer wants to add several things to the invoice:

Advertising fee
    Floor interest
    Port charge

Are these legit? They come to around $500. I am suspicious that this is just more profit. Please clarify.
    The port charge sounds an awful lot like my "import fee" which was $200. Advertising and floor interest? Never heard of them.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Did you make an offer of $XXX over invoice?

That is a good way to determine what price you want to pay, but not a great way to make an offer.. As you can see, invoice can be whatever the dealer wants it to be...

Always make offers in dollar amounts...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thethief914thethief914 Member Posts: 1
    You should not have to pay over Invoice for this vehicle. Also, the Import Prep and Full Tank of Gas charge is bogus. If they're going to give you such grief I would skip them entirely, and go to another dealer. After telling them the poor service you've experienced they would be more than motivated to give you better servive and a better price.

Remember folks! When purchasing, it's price of car + plus destination (sometimes already worked in) + Tax + Plates. That's it. Stay away from other fees, and look over your contracts for them before you sign!!!
  • twistiestwisties Member Posts: 1
    I just recieved a quote on a lease for an 2008 GTI 4-door.
    Autobahn package
    Navigation
    18" huffs
    15 k a year
    39 months
    369 a month
    1685 out of pocket

What do you think? this was the best offer I have gotten. (plus they have loaner cars) this is from new country VW in Greenwhich conn.
  • futuregtiownerfuturegtiowner Member Posts: 3
    Hey cocoseng, was the price of $26,741 out the door? or was that before taxes? What part of the country do you live in?

I live in Los Angeles and test drove the EXACT same car you describe in your post

2008 Volkswagen GTI (United Gray)
    4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
    Autobahn Package
    except that it has 17" denver alloy wheels

They gave me an MSRP of $27,965 and out the door price of $30,761.
    Anyone else think that's too high?
    I'm looking for any input. Thanks.
    Sorry, been out for the holidays.

That price was before tax and tag. I live in Seattle, WA.
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    2008 GTI 4dr HB
    DSG Tranny
    Sunroof
    Ipod Adapter

MSRP $26,254
    Selling price: $24,635 + TTL

Purchcased in Riverside CA
    Thanks. I just bought my car 10 days ago. I'm loving it.

4door
    DSG
    Sunroof
    Ipod

For $26,800 out the door.
    What was your sale price before Tags taxes and license fees?
    I don't know. I negotiated the price based on what it would be out the door. The sticker price said ~$26,100. I was able to get it at $26,800 OTD after shopping around 4 different dealerships.
  • zamondozamondo Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,

The other day I started my old rust bucket up after two weeks of relatively cold weather and oil started pumping out of the top of the oil filter housing immediately. And heavily. My question is: What's the problem and how do I fix it? I was about to just go buy an oil filter and try replacing that, but I don't really mind putting in a whole new housing if needed and only want to got to the autoshop once (I'm on foot). I included a photo of my filter and where the oil is coming from. Thanks in advance.

• razorasdfrazorasdf Member Posts: 61
    On Wednesday I purchased a Tornado Red 2008 GTI 2-door with a 6 speed manual off the lot and 32 miles on the odometer. It came loaded with 18" Hufeisen alloy wheels w/all-seasons, sunroof, premium audio w/ Sirius, and an iPod adapter. No Monster mats or Gorilla gear, unfortunately - I made a mistake of letting them take it off to achieve my desired price. I might buy those from the dealer at the invoice price of $145 later on, though.

I negotiated only on out the door prices. The dealer (Lindsay VW in Sterling, VA - great experience with Alfonso Monteverde) originally wanted $26,500 out the door. I managed to bring it down to $25,250 OTD. I financed it at 4.9% for 60 months via VW financing. The actual price of the car came out to be $23,482, which seemed to be a good deal. I live in Maryland so figure 6% in sales tax plus a few hundred in tags and title, one of which should be refunded since I turned in plates that weren't even a year old. The MSRP on the car was $25,504.

I was still charged $349 for a "documentation fee" and a few other miscellaneous, unnecessary charges, but the dealer didn't want to budge on them and I already thought I was getting a good deal. Had I tried a tad harder, I probably could have gotten the car for $25,000 OTD like I originally wanted to, but an extra $250 seemed like a fair compromise (at the time).

Too bad it was broken into and I had some stuff stolen out of it not even 8 hours after I drove it off the lot, but the repairs to bring it back to good as new will be done by this afternoon. Oh well, I still absolutely love the car and I guess that's all that matters. :)
  • young_vehicleyoung_vehicle Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am trying to get a new GTI with

4dr
    DSG
    Autobarn package
    Navigatoin w/ iPod adapter
    Rear airbaigs

How much OTD price seems reasonable? (no loan, no trade) The invoice is about $28,000.
  • pro5mohpro5moh Member Posts: 29
    I was quoted $25,709 + TTL for the following --
    GTI / 4Dr / 6 Sp Manual / Autobahn Pkg

Does that seem right? Does anyone think i can negotiate better?
    That's about $450 less than what "others are paying" and about $600 over invoice. I paid $500 over invoice for mine in early December '07.
    I paid 200 over invoice in December. Look for more info here: pricing
  • gti2008gti2008 Member Posts: 3
    hey all, is this sound ok?
    2008 GTI 2dr, DSG, Sunroof, Premium Audio System.
    $25,990 out the door, 0%APR for 48 months.

Just got it over the weekend.
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Yes it does sound good IF out the door means after taxes and fees. Carsdirect has the prices at 25K before taxes and fees in Florida. 48 mos at 0% financing is the icing on the cake. Enjoy your new GTI.

George
  • mondogtimondogti Member Posts: 1
    '08 GTI w/ cloth
    - DSG
    - Sunroof
    - 18" Hufs w/all seasons
    - Ipod adapter

$25K plus T&TL. 2.9% for 36 mo.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Woot, I just traded in my 2006 Honda EX coupe automatic :surprise: for a red 2008 GTI auto.
    Back in 2005 I was one of the first people in southern AZ to have the 2006 coupe. It was a great car and was a significant improvement from the 1996 Civic I last owned. I loved the new 2 tier instrument panel too. The only missing thing was the navigation system. Moving forward to the present.
    I started to look at the latest Honda's and was about to purchase a new Civic (yes the same model just new) with navigation when I decided to take a GTI for a spin. Back in 2005 I did take a GLI for a test drive and was left with good feelings except for the bad reputation the VW had. Back to today, as I was driving off the lot I was instantly sold on the GTI. It has low end torque and the ride is nicer than the Civic. The whole package is an upgrade from the Civic. I probably should sacrifice something to the reliability god :) but of course that would be against the law. However I do hope the GTI is reliable. One thing about my old Civic is I had two issues which required a trip to the dealer. Nothing serious but it still required dealer repair. I expect a couple of trips to the VW dealer and higher maintenance costs but we'll see. The price before tax and license was $24200.00 for a DSG, 17" wheels, moon roof, tinted windows and bad weather mats. The only option I did want was mud guards however its not an option for 2008, how odd.
    Well I look forward to many great commutes and trips around my area. Oh I bought it from the only VW dealer in southern AZ. Also I used an internet buying service :shades:
    You should enjoy the GTI a great deal more than the Civic. I have had no major problems with my GTI and I am now at just over 13,000 miles. I have developed a few minor squeaks but I have yet to experience a silent car after 10K miles (Acura, BMW, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Mazdas in my past). From reading at another site the most heard complaints have been the PCV valve and the Diverter Valve but that seems to be more of an issue for 'chipped' cars. A very few have had issues with the fuel pump. The DSG service is pricey and these cars do have a timing belt, not a chain. I am setting aside some money for those two services. Plus you do have synthetic oil, but oil changes are at 5K to 10k and they haven't been too bad price wise. This has been the best car I've owned so far. As for the mud guards let me know when you find a good after market source for those I can't seem to find them.
    There is a huge aftermarket for the GTI as I've learned in the last few months of owning one.

For mudflaps, the website to go to is ECS Tuning. Scroll down all the way to the bottom and you'll see the mudflap kit for the front and rear.

Also, check out this VWVortex thread for a list of good websites to go to for all of your aftermarket needs.
  • baluk1baluk1 Member Posts: 1
    Would it be possible to find a GTI with only DSG and almost no other options. I don't really need anything else. I'm in SoCal btw
    Well, I have sad news. My brand new GTI with approximately 200 miles was vandalized. I was at our local YMCA and was away from my GTI for no more than 35 minutes. My drivers side window and door got rocks thrown at them. The window shattered but was held in place by the tint and the door has three dings :cry: I want to yell! It happened last Saturday. I had a vacation trip the following Monday. My car was in the garage for the four days I was on my trip. Once back I still couldn't drive my GTI. The shattered window made it impossible to see out that side. On Friday Safelite auto glass was going to repair the window but they failed. First they brought the wrong glass. Then when they located the correct glass the technician removed the interior door panel. He looked at how the window was installed and determined that the outside door panel had to be removed in order to replace the glass. What, you looked inside to determine how to replace the glass? Don't you have a manual on how to work on my car? I didn't ask them that but they wanted me to return the following day to do the work correctly :mad: I went home, now minus the shattered glass and no new glass either, called my insurance company and told them I wanted the dealer to fix my car. So here comes another week without my GTI and an additional out of pocket expense in the form of deductible :sick: Hopefully it will be good as new.
    I'll then work on the mud guards :cry:
    Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

The day I bought my GTI I drove it about 40 miles from the dealership to my job. I was going out to the car all day just to gaze at it, but about 30 minutes before I was going to leave, I went to the car to get my jacket and show it to someone, and the passenger's side window was smashed. Someone broke in, scratched up the passenger door a lot, and stole some stuff from the car. Really pissed me off.

Unfortunately, these things happen, but at least the car is mechanically sound with relatively minor damage. Even better is that you're okay, and nobody tried to break into the car with you in it. Once you get back behind the wheel you'll smile again, trust me. ;)
    Well, I got my GTI back on June 2 basically one month after the vandalism. The repair looks good and I don't have any wind noise or rattles. I also had the 2007 GTI mud guards installed and they do fit. They look good. My only other accessory of interest is the iPod adaptor. I don't know if its worth the cost. Prior to getting my GTI back I had been driving numerous GM rental cars and had forgotten why I bought the GTI. But it all came back within the first mile of driving the GTI.
  • bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone heard if the special financing (0% for 48 months) will be extended into July?
  • galeragalera Member Posts: 1
    Even better. 0% for 60mos

http://www.vw.com/specialoffers/en/us/#/gti

Dave
  • bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    That's almost enough to make me wish I had waited. I took the plunge last night and got the 0% for 48 months. Red, cold weather package, ipod adapter, sunroof, all weather mats/cargo mat. Nah, I'd probably have dragged my feet, waited until the end of this month and miss out on a month of fun in my new ride.
  • defaultgatedefaultgate Member Posts: 1
    2008 GTI grey metallic; +AT +"winter package" $25,130 +TTL
    $440 x 60 month (0% interest) including GAP insurance.
    I have unfortunate news. Back in June 08 one of my co-workers had a problem with her 2007 GTI. Her GTI had approximately 19K miles and she says it was a babied car. However her GTI left here stranded at an intersection in Tucson, AZ on a 100 degree day. She took it to the dealer and they fixed it but only after two trips. The dealer said it was a known problem with the fuel injection system. First of all if VW knows about a problem why wait until it leaves a customer stranded? Better yet my co-worker is pregnant and the last thing she needs to be doing is pushing a car. The dealer also screwed up. When she got her car back for the fuel injection issue they forgot to reconnect the A/C. So here she is in Tucson, AZ during the hottest part of the year without A/C.

The short of this drama is I went down to the Honda dealer and traded in the Red GTI (1,700 miles) for a reliable Civic EX. Yes I lost some money but when you factor in the expensive maintenance, lower MPG, questionable reliability and lost days at the VW dealer the Honda savings will surpass the up front trade-in loss. Oh well, that is what you get when you let impulsive buying take control. BTW I fully owned the GTI so I only had to pay for the trade in difference. I know some folks don't have the option to just trade in a auto but I could and decided to just walk away. Good luck with your GTI's, they do feel very nice on the road though.

Too bad Honda hasn't figured out how to get torque and quiet interiors in their cars yet!
    Too bad about that dealership. I don't think I could go to an econo car like a Civic after the GTI. I drove my dad's '07 Civic and hated it, but it is good at what is it: a plain vanilla commuter car. I have had only minor little issues on my GTI, such as an occasional rattle and the radio volume issue - the same sort of stuff my Acura CL. BMW 328, and Mazda3s had. I think we all roll the dice with every car purchase.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    he could have stepped up to the reliable VW Rabbit. Almost as much fun as the GTI without the fuel injection engine problems.

CR rates the Rabbit as better than average and the GTI as worse than average in reliability.
  • jackforettejackforette Member Posts: 19
    So let me get this straight: Your co-worker had a problem with her GTI so you traded in your GTI which had no problems as yet. Back in the day my mother had a problem with her Maxima but I never did with mine but, using your logic, if she had a problem than I should have sold my Maxima even thought I never had a problem with it. What? You turned in a great car and lost money all because someone else had a problem with their GTI.
  • boostboost Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just wanted to help out other GTI shoppers. Remember negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

$500 down, $350 per month.
    39 months, 15k mi. per year.

2009 2dr GTI
    DSG
    Autobahn Package
    Sunroof/18 in. wheel Package

This was in Florida.

Awesome car so far!!!!
    Please teach me the secrets. I got screwed on my lease.
  • jackforettejackforette Member Posts: 19
    This deal is not extraordinary at all. I got the same car with same packages/options in Atlanta for $350/month but I didn't have to put the $500 down and I got to that price within 5 minutes so it has nothing to do with "negotiate, negotiate, negotiate"
    Getting a good price on a GTI right now is easy due to the sign then drive program.