Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• geomacneilgeomacneil Member Posts: 3
    Trying to determine different dealer quotes for leasing a 09 GTI 4door, standard, sunroof option. One dealer quoted me MRSP 25,938 with selling price $24,520
    that comes to a $255 monthly payment ($2k down with $1K trade in)..a residual value of 56% or 14,525 buy out.

A different dealer quoted my $338 monthly payment. Is the $255 a good deal for 39 monthly lease
  • pannikattkpannikattk Member Posts: 7
    Boost / Car_man...anyone!

I'm in Miami and was looking at a GTI which is equipped identically to the one you leased. Where in Florida was this and who was your salesman? Does your payment of $350 include tax?

I have an acquaintance who's the finance manager at a local dealer in Miami. We've been working on some preliminary numbers and with him giving me the car at invoice - the payments come out to $390-ish with tax. This is with zero out of pocket at inception. He is lumping in the dealer fee of $599 and claims his superiors won't let him remove it. This brings the sale price to $27,252 (sticker is $28,540).

I can't recall the specifics at the moment but this is working off of the current MF and residuals for the sign-then-drive deal. I believe the MF is .00156. this was also for 12k miles - not the 15k you're getting!

I would totally jump in if my payment were $350...we must talk!

Here's my e-mail address: pannikattk@hotmail.com

Thx
    I am in Boston... Here is my lease deal for the 09 GTI (4door) signed yesterday.

MSRP 25,938
    Selling Price 24,520
    2k cash and 1K trade in
    monthly lease for 39 months = 255.53
  • cibaknifecibaknife Member Posts: 1
    Going to pick up my new White, 4-Door GTI w/DSG, 18'' Wheels and Sunroof, Cloth Seats tonight in Birmingham, Alabama. Here's the numbers:

26640 = MSRP
    25193 = Selling Price
    149.50 = Doc Fee
    950.34 = Sales Tax
    16.50 = Title
    26309.34 = Out the Door

Excited! Used Edmunds to get quotes from Birmingham and Atlanta and got the best deal in Birmingham. Good luck to others....
  • lawbrokerlawbroker Member Posts: 5
    Hi, this is my first post! I am getting ready to negotiate a lease on a 2009 GTI, sticker $26,640 with an invoice of $25,293. This is also the price the dealer said he could sell it for, however another VW dealer said he could go 3% under invoice. VW just extended their "Sign and Drive" lease until Dec. 1. Does anybody know what the current money factor and residual % is? I'm looking at 12,000 miles/year. Thanks for your help in advance.
    residual for mine was $14K based on same $25K price
  • jeffj19jeffj19 Member Posts: 19
    Hello - Looking to purchase either a pre-owned GTI or new...depends on my trade-in. Anyway, I started the quote process through Edmunds and received a call from a dealer that told me GTI's are not currently in production for another 9 months? Everything that is available now is it. Anyone know if this is true? Also, this is one of those dealers that adds $3K in crap to the MSRP...pin stripes, scotch guard interior, etc. I hate when they do that.
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    I was looking for a fun car and had a great experience at Jim Ellis VW of Marietta, GA. Has luxury pkg.,clean title, 23k miles, 3y/36k mi. ext. warranty and paid 19800 OTD. Love the moonson radio, will get ipod connector installed. Any suggestions on where to get VW accesories cheaper than dealer, like a bra, spoiler?
  • lawbrokerlawbroker Member Posts: 5
    Wow, that seems like a lot for that car. I'm trying to sell my 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 4-door sedan, Supercharged, almost all options, for 17k. 37k miles.
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    There is a site called 'VW Vortex' that has links to all sorts of good VW sites. Other retailers like 'ECS' have decent prices.
  • dtorres94dtorres94 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a vehicle for a 2009 4dr GTI with Power Roof & 18" wheels with iPod adapter for $348.00 for 39\mo. with $0.00 down at SeaCoast VW in Portsmouth, NH(actually Greenland, NH). MSRP-$25,730, Purchase price $23,170 (OTD price including fees). All their cars are priced $1000 below invoice. Check out Don D'Orsay at the dealership if you are in the New England area. Great dealership!!!
    Lease payment would of been lower but i rolled over $1300 from payoff on trade.
  • gotgt3gotgt3 Member Posts: 114
    I'm looking at a 2009 GLI and I find it odd that everyone who gave numbers here for a similar GTI (auto trans, autobahn pkg etc) is getting approx 350 monthly pmt with 0 down. I have been told the car I want is about 29K MSRP, and I can get a pmt of 350/mo with 2500 down which to me is ridiculous for a 36 mo lease and 12k miles. Thoughts anyone?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,691
    Try posting in the Jetta Prices Paid forum, or the Jetta Lease Questions forum..

Different models often have very different lease programs...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kmapkmap Member Posts: 2
    I'm negotiating for a 2008 used GTi, it has 9000 miles, DSG transmission, 4 doors, one owner. Currently my dealer is quoting $17,000.

If you were in the market for a used 2008 GTi, would you buy it at this price?
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Hey, 17K doesn't seem too bad at all considering the MSRP for that car new in 2008 would have been around 24K. That is, assuming it hasn't been in a wreck and had some body work done. Its a great car, I've had 7 GTI's my current is an 06 Mark V, my favorite of all, I love this car. If there's something you don't like about the car ie. the color, try negotiating. If you absolutely love it the way it is (no leather, no sunroof...etc.) then go for it. You will love it. I can't wait to see the 2010s. Good Luck!
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    What package/options does it have? Dealers are pretty desperate to dump cars right now so you can get great deal on used vehicles. Just be sure to at least check Carfax (though it's not 100% accurate) and do a careful visual check under full light.
  • kmapkmap Member Posts: 2
    It has cold weather package (heated seats and heated windshield nozzle). No other extras. It has a clean Carfax one owner under a car fleet.

I'm trying to get it with an extended warranty for the same price.
  • rayd8rayd8 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at a new 2009 GTI with the sunroof package (which comes with the 18" huffs).. $24,340 plus tax and tags at 0% financing for 60 months.
    Can i get much lower than $24,340 ?
    I'm looking to make a deal by Memorial Day weekend.
    Thanks.
  • harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Being offered a stock 09 GTI 6-spd four-door at invoice -$500, 0% APR for 60 months and $399 in dealer fees + taxes. Sound fair?
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    This is probably way late, but no. You shouldn't have to pay "dealer fees." That's COMPLETELY bogus. That would be like buying groceries and being charges a "shopping fee." Their costs are already provided for, hence you are getting $100 off invoice, not $500.
  • peterp2peterp2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I am looking to lease a 4DR 2009GTI, autobahn and sunroof packages. The dealer quote me $27k, and I plan to negotiate it to $26k~26.5k. I will be leasing the car for 39months, 15k/yr. The dealer gave me a residual of 46% and MF of 0.00111. Do these numbers look good?

Thanks!
  • anjinfobanjinfob Member Posts: 1
    Hi all -

I'm in the market for a 2009 4dr GTI with DSG and navigation. There is only one in my area (northern Virginia), and it also has the Autobahn and Sunroof/18" wheel packages, so it's pretty loaded. The MSRP is $31,054, with an invoice of about $29,000. The internet price is $27,898, which is pretty good I think. What price should I be aiming at if I'm looking to buy before this weekend? Thanks
  • joe0302joe0302 Member Posts: 16
    $1500.00 over invoice :shades:
  • splintzspcsplintzspc Member Posts: 2
    thinking about buying 09 gti in maryland area. don't think i will be able to afford 2010 when they come out. plus with 0% financing its a good deal. thinking about going for it.

msrp-$26,040

quote-$23,757 + tag+tax+$99 processing fee.

savings-$2,184

with 0% financing for 60 months that will save me another $3,479 over going rate of 6% over 60 months.

total savings $5,663
  • flossitflossit Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,

I'm a potential 2009 GTI owner. Do you think this is good,bad , or could be better deal.
    The internet sale agent gave me a quote on a :
    4drs
    DSG,
    inted windows
    premium sound
    18 "wheels

$24,152 not including TTL fee and dealership fee of $290.

So, approximately it will cost me roughly around $26,300 OTD. Is this a good,bad,or could be better deal? I'll take any tips or advices to get this OTD price LOWER than $26,300.

Thank you
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Unless you like the looks of the 2009 better than the 2010 I would hold off. Also unless you are a street racer, I would go for the Golf TDI and get 50 MPG along with the great handling of the Golf.
    invoice 23,088
    1300 sunroof
    690 dealer fee
    180 fuel and reserve??????
    25 prep fee????????
    150 (4mats and trunk liner)

After test driving it, i asked him about the trunk button on the key, he click it and it didn't open then he walk to the back of the car and open it by using the latch and then turn around and looked at me and said "see, it's opened". I asked him how come it won't open using the key , he said he didn't have any idea. I shook my head and didn't say anything else. but in my head i was thinking this man is clueless about his product. i was very unimpressed. he rushed the test drive knowing damn well the gas was low to begin with, and didn't bother to fill it up before we took the car for a test drive. i told him i wanted a good long drive to get a good feel of the car , he said what was in the tank was was enough.

THE MOST INTERESTING PART WAS that the price for the 4 mats and the price for the fuel was mandatory, i told him it was bulls#$%@. I was totally ticked off. He obviously think I was dumb. Anyway, to make a story short I didn't buy it from him. I also was disapointed with the interior of the car, the seat was tough, the cloth seat was tough compare to my $16,000 car. Bottom line, I'll wait till the 2010 comes out.
    Gagrice,

not a bad idea. :shades: no, i'm not a street racer but i do like to go around the curves. does the golf TDI has as good suspension as the GTI?

thank u
    GLI no longer in production. Vw will no longer be making the GLI in the future, two dealership told me today.
    YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT .
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,691
    Hey... flossit..

Try noting the dates of the posts that you are replying to.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• leontamleontam Member Posts: 5
    Greetings, I am a potential 09 GTI buyer, the local dealer quoted me OTD 26.5K for a 2 door, DSG, with sunroof 18" package and ipod port, I live in bay area California and tax is 9.75%.

The finance is 4.99% for 36 months, not sure if this is a good deal, but it seems much higher than a month ago.

Shall I go for it or just wait for the 2010?

thanks,
    i wouldn't do it. last month it was o% APR and now it's 3.99%. I was going to buy the 2009 model as well, but i'm holding off until the new 2010 gti comes out in one week. :D
    2010 GTI releaes within a week? confirmed? :)
    Hey All, I pulled the trigger for a 2009 GTI this week.

Black 4-door
    DSG
    Sunroof with 18" rim
    iPod adapter

26500 OTD. 48 months 3.95% finance.

This is not the best deal, I know, if I bought it a month ago i can get 0% for the finance. But I don't think I can afford the 2010, so 2009 is not a bad choice for me. I don't care too much for the new 2010 exterior design, and not much difference exactly between 2009 and 2010 mechanically. I just like the 2010's steering wheel better.

So guys, wish me good luck with my first ever GTI! :blush:
  • ooglyoogly Member Posts: 5
    leontam, can you tell me what was the price before the tax and title?
    The price is $23600 before tax and title
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Yo Edmunds!! Time to update the 2010 pricing for the new GTI on your site...these cars are starting to hit the lots and I'd love to get the invoice price on these puppies. Any idea when this info will be available?
    Thank you! I see the pricing is up today. :shades:
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    have a friend looking VERY SERIOUSLY to purchase a 2010 VW GTI. They found NoHaggles.com through their State Farm agent. The sales representative was quoting them prices on a 2009 GTI, not a 2010 GTI. I know a bit about cars, and called up to question the rep why the prices for the options matched the 2009 options, and not the 2010 options. He got very defensive when I suggested that he was quoting for a 2009, not a 2010. I stated I was just asking for information, and I'd pass along to my friend that I thought he was quoting for a 2009. Later, he emailed my friend a "dealer printout" for a GTI, suggesting that it was for a 2010, but when my friend and I went online to build the 2009, it matched identically. The rep then refused to continue helping my friend, saying his integrity had been questioned by a third party.

OK, rant over. Seriously, is there anyone out there who has actually purchased a 2010 GTI? If you can share what you paid relative to invoice or MSRP, that would be very helpful.
    I bought a 2010 GTI, Candy White, DSG, 18inch Detriots, Bi Xenon w/AFS, Sunroof, 4 Dr on 11/6/09. MSRP $28,389. Paid $27,000. Invoice (according to the dealer was $26,720); however, Edmunds has the invoice at $26,500...not sure which is correct. So, I paid about $280-$500 over invoice. Excellent car and I was very satisfied with the deal I got. I purchased from Browns VW in Midlothian, VA.

Hope this helps.
    Tony :)
  • motor4motor4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi...in Michigan looking at leasing a GTI for 39 months with 15,000 miles annually, residual was $14,409, price $26,300 and MSRP $28,254. Dealer said this included an addtional $1000 of dealer cash. Is this a realistic, good, or stupid deal. Thank you for any assistance.
    Sorry the monthly lease was $422.39
  • mjjackson76mjjackson76 Member Posts: 2
    To give you a comparison, I just leased a Carbon Steel Gray 2010 GTI 4 door manual with Detroit 18s, bi-xenons, bluetooth, the fabulous plaid, heated seats and roof. 39 month lease, 12,000 miles/year. $1551 down (covered taxes, plates, inspection, & first month's payment). Monthly payment is $371. MSRP was $27,504. Sell price was at invoice (or very close according to Edmunds) at $26,304. Residual was 53% or $13,941. Money factor was .00141 or 3.384%. I live in Buffalo, NY and purchased the car at Schmitt's VW/Audi. This is my first lease and my first GTI, and I'm thinking I got a reasonable deal. Today is only day one with the car, but it's SO much fun to drive. I couldn't stop. Drove all day. The distribution of horsepower and torque in this car is just fantastic in a car that is relatively light by today's standards--especially at this price point with this level of refinement and fit & finish. Already lit up the tires twice unintentionally. The sound of the engine, the great manual, excellent handling around curvy roads. Love it! Plus, 22 degrees was no worry with a killer HVAC system and some amazingly comfortable heated seats. We'll see how VW reliability plays out over the next 39 months, but there will have to be serious, persistent mechanical malfunctions to take the perma-grin off my face. Get your GTI! Faster!
    Thanks for the info, very helpful.
    Congrats on your first GTI. I can't wait to get my hands on one exactly like yours, Carbon Steel. It will be my 8th GTI. I now own an 06 and still love every minute I drive it. I have never had a problem with reliability. Good Luck!
  • ke72spnke72spn Member Posts: 12
    :D Wow, this sounds like a great deal. Since I am also a resident of Buffalo it appers that a trip to the dealerhsip you noted is in order. In addition, it appears that you did your homework in regard to how to lease a car by determining the MSRP, sale price, residual, money factor and taxes/fees. Thanks for the tip, hopefully they will be equally as willing to part with a Tiguan or Jetta Wagon in the near future. :D
  • eurogtieurogti Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I am in the process of buying a 2010 GTI and I got the following rices. Please let me know what you think about them and if you believe they are fair.

- Automatic
    - 4 Door
    - Autobahn Package
    - Bi-xenon headlights
    - 18" Wheels
    - Dynaudio

$ 31 570 (tax, title etc. included...so this is out the door price).

The other offer was $30,859 but did not include Dynaudio.

Thanks
  • cendrilloncendrillon Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the current factory to dealer rebates on the 2010 GTI?

I've been offered the following straight off the bat:

- 2 Door
    - DSG
    - 18" Detroit Wheels
    - GTI Mat Kit
    - Power Sunroof
    - Bluetooth (think this is standard but they charge for it anyway?)

$24,999 (excluding tax and license)

MSRP was $27,489, 'Invoice Price' is $25,631.

I havn't started pushing hard on the dealer yet and was wondering where to come in. Any thoughts?
    I would take that deal on the spot. I want the exact same options, except I would prefer a 4 dr. This is Automobile Magazine's Car of the Year. And now Consumer Reports has also picked it as best sporty car. That doesn't help with your negotiating. I would be curious to see if you can get them to go down much more.
    Good Luck.