Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• redbrienredbrien Member Posts: 8
    Hey Guys I just Bought a brand new GTI(06) at Gallery Volkswagen. My Red DSG GTI also came with Package 1, and rubber floor Mats. They Took 1734.00 off the MSRP. I called around and finally went with them. All around, good buying experence from a big dealer. Later guys
  • tsx_gtitsx_gti Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys, I'm looking for a White/Silver GTI MkV with DSG (no other options). My wife and I test drove the car and we were quite satisfied (except there is no auto-dimming rear mirror). The MSRP is $23,695. The quote I've got was 22,950 + floor mats + 36k miles free service. Is this a good deal or I could do better? :confuse: I'm in NJ/CT/NY tristate area. Thank you for all response!!!
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Just wondered how reliability has been since you bought your GTI earlier this year.
  • amoviefan1amoviefan1 Member Posts: 24
    Hello everyone. I bought a Silver with Interlagos Cloth, 2006 New GTI with the 2.0 liter, 4-cylinder, 200-hp Turbo and DSG (6-Speed Auto) with Package 1 and XM plus the rubber mats with trunk liner. Sticker price (MSRP) was $25,250. I got it for $23,000 plus tax, title and license. This deal was $340 less than Edmunds invoice price and $1185 less than Edmunds TMV.
    I love the car!!! I also got 3.9% for 5 years. VW is running 0% for 3 years, 2.9 for 4 years and 3.9 for 5 years through July 31, as long as your credit score is above 700. It's a great deal! The DSG automatic with the shift paddles is so easy and fun, I'm glad I didn't get a manual with a clutch. Good luck all!
  • tsx_gtitsx_gti Member Posts: 3
    Hi Amoviefan1, Congratulations on the new car! Could you share where did you get the deal? Did you get it via internet sales or in dealership? I am looking for the car very similar to yours. Thank a lot!
  • poopspoops Member Posts: 222
    I'd also like to know which dealer you purchased from. Email me if you want...

Thanks!
  • mbrashiermbrashier Member Posts: 3
    Saw one at my delaership today.
    I wanted a GTI (2 door). My wife wanted a 4 door Rabbit.

Now we can have both. Stoked! Waiting for one with leather and sunroof.
    Hopefully I can talka good deal on it.

Why doesn't VW have the 4 door GTI on vw.com? Also no test drives on any car site I have been to. WTF?
  • raln48raln48 Member Posts: 33
    I was quoted a price today of $25,400 for a 2dr GTI with DSG and pkg #2 (Minneapolis area).

Does anyone know if this is a competitive price?
    My sense after checking several area dealers is that there is a substantial inventory of 2dr. GTI's now.

Are there any pricing incentives besides the 0% / 36mos?
    Thanks.
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    On the phone a dealer in NY said he could get me a price in the 24s for the same setup. Of couse he also said id have to come in to chat. Not sure if hed try and throw some extra funny charges in person so....
  • 98jettadc98jettadc Member Posts: 10
    > Just wondered how reliability has been since you
    > bought your GTI earlier this year.

I'm at 3500 miles and I love my 2006 GTI. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a clock that passengers can easily see. The clock is displayed behind the steering wheel, near the speedometer. They should have put a clock in the center dash or included one in the DVD nav/stereo system.
  • headjoogheadjoog Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a ballpark price for a 2006 GTI pkg #1 with 4,900 miles? Sticker is $26,200...I saw an earlier post for a similar pkg for $23,500. How much will they come off a demo? Is it even worth looking at a demo - can you be sure they haven't been driven into the ground?

Thanks - headjoog
  • sox_443sox_443 Member Posts: 15
    I was quoted 100 over invoice on an 07 GTI 4-door at a Washington State dealer. However, their invoice price included about 400 dollars for "advertising fees and interest reserve" My gut tells me that those aren't legitimate fees to pass on to a buyer. Anyone have any opinions?
  • thomaspeterdubthomaspeterdub Member Posts: 20
    I would love to know which tristate dealer offered 36k free service. Incidentally, did you buy a GTI and if so, what are your impressions and experience to date. Thanks.
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    Which dealership? The $400 is lame - so $500 over invoice - still not bad for a relatively new model.
  • gtigalgtigal Member Posts: 2
    My loaded 1.8T took about a month to arrive in the U.S. from South America. I got the green one with the leather...

It had 2 miles on it when I left the dealership. At my 5k service the mechanic told me to call him if I ever wanted to sell it.

I can't imagine driving or parking another car. It's fast, small and easy to spot.

What's better?
  • sox_443sox_443 Member Posts: 15
    It was at the Edmund's recommended Pignataro VW in Everett. Would you haggle over that 400 for advertising and interest reserve?
  • sgrigorysgrigory Member Posts: 17
    I was quoted $25,388 for a 2007 red, Pkg 2 with the 18" wheels by a dealership in Seattle.

To be honest, I have no idea if this is a good price, or...

Feedback appreciated.
    It seems very good - I paid 27K which was $900 below MSRP. Mine: pkg 2, 18" wheels, DSG and the rubber mat/cargo tray add-on. DSG is super nice BTW.
  • sgrigorysgrigory Member Posts: 17
    As an update, I received a better price at another Seattle dealership- University VW.

Price of $24,893 for the Pkg 2, 2-door, manual with 18" Hufs.
  • tyleraggietyleraggie Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone shopped for a 2007 4-door GTI in the DFW area? I'm looking for one with DSG, pkg#2, 18" Hufs, and rear side airbags - best offer is $500 above invoice ~$26,860 (MSRP $28,565). Thanks.
  • mvargo62mvargo62 Member Posts: 2
    Chicago-$23,300 for a 2 door with DSG. Thought of upgrading to the 18" but with Chicago winters........thoughts??? :confuse: :confuse:
    Even 17" All-Seasons may not be all that great. Get some 16" Steelies with some winter tires maybe.
  • jat307jat307 Member Posts: 1
    We picked up a 2007 GTI w/DSG & package #1 in Candy White OTD price including california tax & tags ($2300) was $25800, I also got 3 years of all my scheduled service included. So far the car is great. For any one in southern california, we shopped between Bozzani in Covina and Pasadena Volkswagen and ended up choosing Pasadena because they upped the deal with the service package.
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Jat, did you get a 2 or 4 dr? Just wondering how much lower than MSRP will they go. On Carsdirect the 2 dr target price is MSRP while on the 4 dr its about $800 under, which doesn't make sense since there's not too many 4 doors around. Also could you please tell me about the steering wheel buttons that I'm assuming control the audio volume and channels, what about the 4 buttons on the left what are they for? Cant find anything in the brochure.
    Thanks, just seriously thinking of purchasing one, it will be my 7th GTI.
    george
    I got my two-door $900 below MSRP. Volume control is on the left plus mute and a non-working bluetooth phone button - the right is menu control and channel change.
  • bcatharmbcatharm Member Posts: 1
    Picked up 2 dr Saturday, $1400 off MSRP plus TTL and $189 doc fee. Deal took 5 minutes.
  • tyleraggietyleraggie Member Posts: 3
    Just an FYI for everyone - I bought a 2007 4 door GTI reflex silver, DSG, pkg 2, Hufs from Rusty Wallace VW in Dallas for invoice + $250 (to cover various dealer "fees" - advertising, floor plan, etc). Everything was done through the internet dept and very painless. Love the car so far. Best of luck!
  • mvaillanmvaillan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 GTI Tornado Red, 4 door, DSG, Pk #2, 18" hufs & rear air bags - MSRP $28,565 paid $26,999 here in South Eastern Ct.
    I Love the strong engine and the DSG shifts sweet. The leather seats are wonderful and access to the rear seats with the 4 doors make this the perfect car :P
  • md_rocksmd_rocks Member Posts: 41
    Ok so it's only 1 dollar below, guess it's a psychological thing. Capistrano VW mainly through emails. The TMV invoice is lower by about $300 though, weird. Anyways:

Package 1, 4 door, DSG, Hufs, black magic - 24,781 before TTL

Any opinions would be welcome.
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    The invoice the dealer shows you is rarely the invoice at which the dealership purchases the car from the manufacturer for. Dealerships add fees to their invoices so they can say "we're selling it to you for invoice" - meanwhile they are pocketing those fees. If you raise holy hell you can sometimes get them to take them off the invoice...

That aside you still got a good deal. Enjoy your ride!
  • dj_quaaludesdj_quaaludes Member Posts: 4
    Just negotiated a deal for a 2-door 2007 United Gray GTI Package 0 w/ DSG. MSRP of $23,805, was out the door for 22,600 before TTL. I'd say it was a pretty good deal, especially considering that according to carsdirect.com the dealer makes no money off the DSG transmission.

Dealer was friendly enough and negotiations were smooth and quick.

Can't wait to pick her up on Wednesday, boy am I pumped. ;)
  • turbotorqueturbotorque Member Posts: 45
    Wow, good deal. Edmunds TMV has the GTI at MSRP. Seems to be off, inasmuch as CarsDirect is offering it for $400 below sticker.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Just read a post on autoblog.com (which seems to have all the latest news) the the 4 dr GTI will be coming to the US in 2007. I thought it was already here. Just checked the inventory of a local dealer and all 7 of their GTIs are 2dr. What gives?
    Evergreen,
    The 4 dr GTI's have been here since around Sept as 2007 models. I've checked the inventory at about 10 dealers in a 100 mi radius (Tampa area)and every dealer seems to have about 3 or 4 cars (4 dr), One dealer had about 8. I'm waiting to find one in blk, grey or silver with pkg #2 only,no hufs or DSG. Weird thing is that carsdirect.com has the 4 dr discounted but the 2 dr right at MSRP. ???

George
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I was at a dealer yesterday.... 7 GTIs.. all 2-doors.. But, at a different dealer in November... the inventory was about 50/50.. 2dr/4dr..

Maybe I'm getting old, but the 4-door looks better to me..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree with you, the 4 dr does look better so much so that I even thought about the 4dr Rabbit for a while. But that was before i knew about the arrival of the 4dr GTI. I just hope I can get a decent deal, I'll be trading in an 06 GTI MkIV.

G
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I owned an '87 GT which essentially was a 4dr GTI. That was the last year VW gave you four doors with a GTI motor, etc. If it weren't for the 4dr model, I wouldn't even be considering a GTI. I am retired and my retired friends probably wouldn't appreciate trying to get into the back seat of a 2dr.

And speaking of prices, I purchased the '87 GT and also a '97 Passat GLX wagon at the same dealer in Oregon City, Oregon. I bought them both through the Costco program which was $200 over Edmunds invoice. Their current Costco deal is $500 over invoice but they have already told me they would give me the $200 over invoice deal since I would be a repeat customer. Probably a pretty good price.
  • shudacudashudacuda Member Posts: 2
    Starting the negotiations for the best price possible.
    Any tips or last warnings?

Also 17's vs 18's

Is the navigation worth it?

:)
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    My opinion is like.......well you have probably heard that one but, I would get a $500 Garmin. It's probably better, and for sure cheaper. And, you can take it with you, and put it in a rental car and such.
  • shudacudashudacuda Member Posts: 2
    yea.... duhhh.... It's not like I couldn't use it when I am in my wifes car. Thhanx for waking me up!!
  • rontamrontam Member Posts: 12
    I just got $76 above Edmunds invoice on 4dr GTI w/option 2.
    Is this what folks are getting for discounts these days?

It just appeared too easy of a deal.
    Rontam,
    I would be very satisfied with your deal. Did you have a trade-in vehicle? Thats one thing you never hear anyone mention. They're getting great prices on their GTI's but how much are they getting on their trade-ins.
    Anything you dont like about the car??

thanks
    g
    I actually do have a trade-in waiting to be appraised. It's not worth much anyway. However, if they offer a price that's not to my liking I may either elect to sell on my own or cancel the deal all together. I should know in a couple days what's going to happen.

I guess I announced my numbers prematurely. Stay tuned...
    Hi,

Finally reporting back. Took delivery today UG + Nav + floormats + option2 = 25889 + TTL. So that's almost 2500 off msrp. Thought it was a good deal for the only car in the area.

Got fair trade-in value for my trade-in so I was satified with that.
    Hi,
    Did you get the 4 dr or 2 dr. Either way seems like you got a great deal. I was thinking I'd be paying about that much without Navigation! Congrats to you..

G
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    yeah, that's a great deal. Their seems to be a pretty big gap between what some are paying, as opposed to others.
    Thanks. It is a 4dr. I am from the north east (Boston) area -- perhaps the pricing (or discounts) is dictated by region.
    Anyway, just took a 400 mile trip today (couldn't wait :D ) - what a joy to drive.
  • bigkidbigkid Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I've got my eye on a United Grey 2dr. / 6spd. w/ package 2.

Up to this point I've been working with a salesmen at a local dealership (Parkcities VW), here in Dallas,Tx. I've been nego. my new purchase via email corespondance.

They have it listed at $26,075, after plugging in options and what not thru Edmunds, it listed the car at $25,430 (TMV)

After reading thru posts on this thread - I'm still a little weary about how to approach the salesmen for the "perfect" deal.

Should I be nego. a price around what others are paying in my area? Its about a $650 price difference?

Any pointers on how to handle the deal.

This will be my second VW, I'll be trading in my 2003 GTi.

I'm anxiously await my new car, but I don't want to make any mistakes or miss any opportunties to cash in on a great deal.

BTW: how do I find out about dealership "hold-back" and whether or not I can use this as leverage in my nego.

Thanks,

Bigkid :)
  • arnaud1818arnaud1818 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,
    I can t figure out what s the design of the standard 17" wheels. The 'ones with the circles' is shown on all the pictures, and on the free dvd offered by dealers, they say that they are available on 17" and 18". But my dealer seems not very knowledgeable about that. GTI of this stock have some other wheels. So questions are: 1 / what are the standard wheels ? 2/ can we get the 17" 'with the circles' as option? or only the 18" ? Thanks !
    Arnaud,
    The standard wheels on the GTI are the 17 in wheels.
    The "ones with the circles" aka "Hufs" are optional and are only available as 18 inch wheels ($750). If you go to CarsDirect.com and look up the GTI, you'll be able to see a good picture of the standard 17 in wheels.
    Hope this helps,

george