Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I should have started shopping a long time ago...my preferred colors are getting cleaned out at my local Chevy stores.

Question: If a dealer does a trade with another dealer that's maybe 50 or 100 miles away, it's more difficult (or impossible) to test drive the car before committing yourself...right? What language do you have them write into the sales agreement before you put down any deposit? "Fully refundable if vehicle is not delivered in satisfactory condition by X date?" Or "Sale contingent on customer's test drive", or something to that effect?
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    Beedublu--

You are probably better off just going to the dealer that has the car you want. Two reasons:

1) You can inspect and test drive the car before you buy--scratches, stains/burns in the fabric, etc.

2) Dealer holdback. The holdback (3% of msrp) is retained by the originating dealer, even if they sell it to your local dealer. This means that the local dealer cannot go as low as the dealer with the car in inventory.

FYI, my dealer gave up his holdback to make the deal, and sold my Maxx at invoice price.

MSRP of $22,305. Per Edmunds, invoice is $20,461 minus $669 holdback equals $19,792.

I paid $19799, less $5500 rebates, for a total of $14,299 for my Maxx LS with floor mats.

Hope this helps.

MadMaxx
  • schanderschander Member Posts: 1
    Good for leasing or buying any GM FAMILY of cars and no matter what other "deals" you've got(GM employee discount,etc...)

email me off list for more info.

I only have one.

Joe
  • maxdealmaxdeal Member Posts: 3
    I talked to a couple of internet sales managers and they all offered the price like this (for Maxx LS with 1SB option):

MSRP..........................$23,150
    dealer discount................ 1,403
    GM Rebate..................... 3,500
    GM Financing rebate........... 1,000

is it possible to negotiate a greater dealer discount over internet? I just don't want to drive a couple of hours and ended up back with nothing. btw, I'm in Missouri.

thanks.
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    I'd check into the GMAC financing rebate. I have seen $1,500 (instead of $1,000) numerous times on this board. If you could get the extra $500 that would help...then it's really a matter of whether or not your dealer is willing to offer more of a discount on their end.

I'd try for the GMAC amount that others are getting and ask for a dealer discount of $1,800 (up from $1,403)...that way you might end up with another $250 from the dealer plus the $500 from GMAC...tell the dealer about not wanting to drive two hours to negotiate and that if they can reach your numbers, they have a deal (something to that effect). There are lot's of good deals that other people are getting and they should be aware of his too.

Just a thought...good luck!
  • walletwallet Member Posts: 38
    Only my personal opinion: they're playing hardball and hoping you don't know what the Maxx is selling for inother areas, or possibly even inyour own are. My original PowerBuy/e-quote inquiries about 10 days ago got me some quotes in the 17,2-17,6 range for an LS with 1SA. I wrote back to a few and asked them to compete with the big volume Chevy dealer, who had the ad car at 15,0. A few wrote back extolling the virtues of buying from their dealership, along with quotes that were ~$1500 lower than their first quote.

FWIW, I solicited P-B/Equotes back in late June for our '04 Tahoe. I got MUCH more competitive prices (granted, only a few dealers were competitive) than I got with my Maxx quotes. No idea what happened in those 6-8 weeks.

1) Hit a major library that has lots of local newspaper, and scour those papers for Maxx ads. I've had a number of e-quotes come in much higher than their own ad prices. Hate to say it, but the majority of salesmen assume the customer is completely uninformed, and price product accordingly.

2) Stay in your local area, just extend the range of your P-B price requests. Also, know how many of your vehicle each dealer has on his lot.

3)Talk to the fleet/P-B manager directly (may be different from internet manager), and tell him what your 'cousin' just paid for a Maxx up in Boston. Refer him to the Quirk's internet ad: ask him why the rebartes are the same, but your discount is $1500+ less. You gotta play poker with some of these guys if you wanna save some $.......
  • bigfeetbigfeet Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Liming,

Could you tell me which dealer you went to. I am interested in buying a similar one.
    Thanks.
    icedog97, wallet,

Thanks a lot for your help. Just bought the Maxx LS 1SB package for $16500 out of door. The price is not that a big deal, but I guess it's a reasonable price. I need a car now otherwise maybe I could get the car at a lower price after one or two more months.
    Noticed in a north Jersey paper this AM that one dealer listed in the fine print a new discount: an August Instant Savings Certificate for $500 for the Maxx. And in the general Maxx forum, member Beedublu mentioned that his dealer applied one of these when he bought his Maxx today. It appears that the program just started today. Anyone have any more info on these.....?
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    To Bigfeet,
    Where are u?

The dealer is chicago
    To Bigfeet

BOEHMER CHEVROLET SALES, INC.
    416 W LIBERTY ST
    WAUCONDA , IL 60084 -2444
    Phone: (847 ) 526-2424
    Fax: (847 ) 526-7569
    wallet,

when I bought the car, my dealer showed me a sheet of current promotions. He applied two $500 instant saving coupons toward the maxx. That was the reason I could get the car at a price of $16500. The coupons are valid until Sep 30. Don't know if it's national.
    I'm guessing it may be national, but applied at dealer discretion, since there is a semi-limited number (why waste one on someone who's buying the car anyway, when you might need one in the future to close a tough sell). Anyway, I ended up getting an extra $1K in rebates applied over what is being advertised in the north east: $3500 GM + $1000 GMAC + $1000 from ??? = $5500 in total rebates. Brought the final cost of an LS with 1SB down to $15,8

From talking to dealers in MA, I sorta got the impression that the market for the LS with 1SA is REALLY slow, so they can take a bigger $ amount off, which equates to an even bigger % off the sticker (than the LT or LS/1SB). Should be able to find an LS with 1SA in the 14,5-14,8 range with just a little work (Quirk is 14,8 for an LS/1SA in their ad and 16,5 for an LS/1SB on the phone; saw another ad for $1500 under invoice for any car on the lot plus any rebates)......
    Wallet,

You got sun roof?

Mine is 15,2K without sun roof.
    No, no sunroof. Right now, in the northeast, you're doing good just to get an LS/1SB for 16,2. Believe me, I visited/talked to a LOT of dealers.

It killed me to pay that much; I didn't want to go over 15,5. But Med. Grey with just 1SB and May/June build dates are getting scarce in the northeast. Plenty of Sandlewood and Red available, as well as 1SB with either sunroof or 6CD added on or Jan-April build dates, tho.

Also, my dealer had to 'borrow' it from another dealer (who quoted me ~$1200-1500 for the very car that I bought), so that meant two groups wanted their piece of the pie.

All those higher$ rebates and extra regional rebates in the other parts of the country are NOT in the northeast, so my starting point is already $500-1000 in the hole. That extra $1K I listed I considered part of the dealer discount that I had to negotiate for (since we were already at 16,0 before the August ISC news hit the internet)

MSRP 23,150
    Discount 2,85x
    GM rebate 3,500
    GMAC 1,000

Final 15,800
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    $15,800 final??? you don't pay tax, tags, and freight in your state?
    Sorry, final for the physical vehicle; I own it, but I can't drive it off their lot yet.

The northeast tends to quote the cost of the car ONLY, and it's assumed you then add on tax, tags, gov't paperwork fees, excise, etc. Since states are so small here, and tax can vary from 0% to 8+% from one state to the next, it can be a moot point when discussing prices.

I can give you a FINAL cost for NJ in a few hours; we're heading to the DMV in a few minutes......
    You got a very good deal. My price is lower than yours because I got $500 rebate from the regional rebate. I started negotiation with GM supplier discount that was $300 under invoice. The dealer agreed with the price 15700. When I got the car, the bill was 15200. It's a good surprise.

The dealer located my car (drifted wood LS/1SB no sun roof Maxx) from another dealer 30 miles away and shipped. I got the car with 57 miles on it.

Hopefully, it is as reliable as my Honda Civic, which is trouble free.
    It was built on March. There was one recall on the seat belt according to GM's database. The dealer claimed they had fixed it before giving it to me.

There is no recall record on ABS. I hope there is no problem with ABS to begin with.

I am very pleased with my car. It's excellent for the price I paid comparing with Subaru outback, VW Passat, Mazda 6.
    I hope you get a good price. I live in Chicago. With $5500 rebate, I paid $15,200 (Break down posted in the forum) plus tax and paper work.

My Maxx is LS with 1SB option without sun roof. The dealer also gave me mud guard for free.
  • waitinginsfwaitinginsf Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to buy a 2004 Metallic Silver Maxx LT w/1SB package for 22,800 + tax (before $5000 rebates = $3500 + 1500 GMAC).

I think this is a pretty good price and i've been watching the MAXX since March. Absolutely no MAXX seen on the Street in Northern California. Guess I'll be the first!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    any other options on the LT? if not appears the std dealer incentives.....looks like the LS models are moving with greater deals since there appears to be more of them in the inventory than the LT..My LT is fully loaded (XM, Onstar, DVD)less the engine block warmer and the multi disk CD player and got mine for 23,500 out the door includind tax title and tags..No rebates at the time I bought mine in Mar 05 but got 5k for my trade in...you will enjoy the Maxx....8300 on mine now..and love it...cheers
  • waitinginsfwaitinginsf Member Posts: 5
    Hi, YEP just came back from the dealership. I bought the last 2004 Malibu MAxx on the lot. I used a GSM discount..so I paid 22,800 for a Galaxy Silver Maxx LT with 1SB options package. Got $5000 in rebates and I paid $1400 for a 72 months, 72,000 mile GMPP 0 deductible Major Guard warranty. They said that the $1400 was the GMS quote for that warranty. It would've been about $200 cheaper if I went for $100 deductible. By the way..my dealership didn't offer any longer warranty on new cars. So about $21K out the door for a loaded LT with sunroof and 6 yr 72,000 mile warranty. My car was built June 06, didn't notice any rough idle or steering drift (knock on wood).

So now I'm officially part of the Club! I pick up the car Saturday :)
  • nukeumallnukeumall Member Posts: 5
    Current rebates end Sep 7th and GM sales were down 14% for August so rebates should stay the same or get better.
  • tfbrtfbr Member Posts: 4
    On 9/1 I was given the following rebates:

Incentive Amount
    Customer Cash 3500
    Bonus Draft 1500 financing through GMAC, no prepayment penalty
    Marketplace 500 MI rebate similar to some other regions
    GMS GM relative1000 recently announced employee/relative rebate
    Total Rebates 6500

I would think everyone should be able to get at least $5000 through 9/7. See my full post under Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Meet the Members Discussion: Run, Don't Walk...yes, the incentive may continue but if you are seriously looking I'd lock it in. After exhaustive review and evaluation my experience and impression of the Maxx is extremely positive.
    I've been to busy to go to the dealer. There are hundreds of Maxxs within a couple hundred miles of Omaha so I'm not worried. We'll see what the rebates do on the 8th.
  • btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    Well I am interested in a 2004 malibu base sedan and they have it in white or black...for $12k!! However, when I went in to purchase it, than all of a sudden I could only get the $1500 if I financed it and that wasnt' one of the rebates listed on the car but the saleguy goes, "oh someone wrote it up wrong". I have to go in and really read what all the rebates are as the sales people angered me by taking so long and kept coming back with this or that! And now I keep reading about problems on the other webpage so still havent' purchased..hopefully the problems are more with the MAXX?
     This is the first time I've ever NOT seen a car that really thrills me...seems each manufacturer is making everything "loaded"=mostly power and that concerns me as my previous 3 cars weren't and they had NO problems for each of their 8 YEARS! Wish me luck.
    Don't rush into a purchase they want to sell them more than you want to buy one, see http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0409/06/a01-261924.htm
  • chrisj3chrisj3 Member Posts: 1
    What is the Marketplace 500 MI rebate similar to some other regions. I have gms and they said there is only $6000 in rebates. Could you post more information on the marketplace $500 rebate.

Thank You
  • asharerinasharerin Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I will be buying an 04 Maxx LS in Oregon today (last day of current rebates). I am a GM employee relative so will be getting the $3,500 cash back + $1,500 GMAC financing + $1,000 GM relative bonus discount for a total of $6,000 in incentives. Have an internet quote already of invoice price less these rebates so hoping to do better at the dealership where my mother works.

Ill post the deal we get but thinking it will turn out to be simply invoice minus the $6,000 in rebates so looking at around $13,764 (no sales tax in Oregon).

My mother says there are lots of rebates so it is confusing to know which ones we qualify for and there may be more bonuses on top of those listed. She says she has no idea what new rebates may become available after today so we will jump on this bargain.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking for a consumer who within the past few days has purchased a new vehicle, primarily motivated by the incentives currently being offered due to the end of the ’04 model year. If you live in the LA area and are willing to talk with the reporter about how you made your decision, please e-mail Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com, with your daytime contact information. The reporter will need to speak with you before mid-day tomorrow (Wednesday, Sept. 8). Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• asharerinasharerin Member Posts: 10
    OK we bought the '04 Malibu Maxx yesterday. Boy was the dealership packed with everyone rushing to get in on the rebates before they expired!

We got the 2004 Galaxy Silver Maxx LS with:

Preferred equipment group 1SB
    Power Sunroof
    Onstar
    XM Satellite Radio
    6-Disc CD Changer

for $16,104 out the door (no sales tax in Oregon but inclusive of about $150 in title fee, plates and registration).

Got the $3,500 cash back, $1,500 GMAC financing rebate, $1000 GM relative bonus plus dealer holdback thrown in (about $750).

Actually would have preferred the base model without all the extras for about $2000 less but they didn't have any other LS's in stock. Didn't go for any of the extra garbage they try sell their such as paint protection, fabric protection, overpriced gap insurance (get it at one sixth the price through our regular insurance company) or an overpriced extended warranty we can get at half price directly from the source online.

Will be refinancing as soon as the paperwork arrives in the mail through our credit union at 4.59% for 84 months......yes seven years! Hopefully it gets done before Sept. 21 when Greenspan is set to hike rates another quater point!! Note well there is no pre-payment penalty or other penalty clause for refinancing at anytime as others have alluded to in prior posts.

Now its time to wait and see what new rebates they bring out on the '04s and kick myself if they are better!
    Anyone know what the criteria is for the GM Employee/Relative rebate and can you still use the GM card discount?
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    I am getting different stories from different dealers as to what rebates are available.
    One said the conquest rebate was on through Sept 04. Another said there has been no conquest rebates since early summer. Edmunds indicated it ended Sept. 7. where can the consumer get accurate current information? GM buypower indicates only $4500(3500 + 1000 GMAC)is available on the Maxx. So how little can I finance through GMAC for the least time to qualify for the $1000? The incentives piqued my interest but the smoke and mirrors [non-permissible content removed] is turning me off to making any purchase.
  • mb-s65mb-s65 Member Posts: 29
    you must finance at least 10k to get the GMAC bonus......

But have gotten about three different stories about how many payments you must make before you can prepay the loan.

1 month, 3 months, and 6 months

Remember though that even 6 months intrest on a simple interest loan of 10k is not much....
  • oldcorvettefanoldcorvettefan Member Posts: 17
    In fact, GMAC allows you to pay off the loan as soon as you wish. We purchased our Maxx August 10, and refinanced it September 3.

We would have refinanced the week of August 24, but we had an unexpected trip out of town that week.

Steven
    MAXX LS w/1SB $23,150
    - $2,652 Dealer
    - $3,500 GM Rebate
    - $1,000 GM Instant Value
    - $1,500 GMAC
    - $1,526 GM Card
    - $ 827 Drivers Edge Rebate

= $12,145 TOTAL

Got the Light Driftwood, not my fist choice but for 12K who can complain. Built in Feb/04, would have liked a later date but some were Dec/03.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    We picked up our new Maxx yesterday. It is a 2004 LS with NO OPTIONS. Not one. (Does that mean it's an LS1A?) MSRP $22,225 including shipping. They used to call a car like this a "stripper." You could hardly say that about the Maxx. It has more equipment--standard--than just about any car I've ever seen, regardless of price. This was just what we wanted--none of the options or packages included anything of interest to us. OK, floor mats would be nice, but I can buy those separately.

It is the light driftwood color, 5/04 build date. Seems to be absolutely flawless. It had 5 miles on it when we got it.

It was by far the most pleasant car buying experience we've ever had. I located the car on the GM website, at the dealer right here in town, Hanlee's Chevrolet. (Very few '04 LS left here in Northern California). I went in and asked to see it. It was still in the wrapper, on the storage lot, had never been driven. I showed them my trade, and in about 10 minutes they came back with a deal on the Maxx at $200 over invoice, and a trade in amount that was right about where I thought it should be. Not counting the trade, and with the $5000 rebate, the car cost $15913 plus tax and license. I didn't bother asking if they could go any lower. That's about what I paid for a new Pontiac 6000 20 years ago!

In order to get the $1500 GMAC bonus we took the GMAC financing at 6.99%. That's a bit high, but we'll refinance it soon, and plan to pay it off in a couple of years. Prepayment penalties are illegal in California.

It was very helpful to read all the posts here before buying. Also the GM website was terrific in terms of learning about the car and the options, and for locating the one I wanted.

It looks like folks on the right coast are getting bigger discounts (on the order of $2000 or more) than we left coasters. I think it has always been that way. Domestic cars are usually cheaper to buy in the East.

We're planning on getting 200K miles from this car. It certainly seems like it's engineered to provide that kind of service. Of course I will be meticulous about maintenance, and plan to change the oil every 5K (unless the oil life computer tells me to do it sooner--which I doubt since this is mostly freeway driving in moderate temperatures).

Thanks again for all your great posts.

DavisMaxx
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Daugherty Chevrolet in Sacramento is advertising what looks like a terrific deal on one of the last 2004 Maxx in this region. It's Navy/neutral with 1SB, Onstar, XM and 6 disc CD, MSRP $24,970. They are offering a $2980 dealer discount, $1000 GM certificates, $3500 GM rebate, and $1500 if you finance through GMAC--$15,990 plus tax and license. Looks like one of the better deals I have seen.

DavisMaxx
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Congrats on your purchase. Thanks for posting your experience!
  • buyatinvoicebuyatinvoice Member Posts: 2
    If you have a different MSRP, chances are GMS price will be different - period. Don't forget, It's right on the invoice and GM modifies base prices maybe 4 times a year, so age of inventory can add to the reasons prices vary slightly. Also some regions have different advertising fees than others, it's on;y a slight difference, but that can effect the sticker prices you see. Delivery fee and Destination are different. Destination fee varys on vehicles, but everyone pays that. Delivery fee sounds like a DOC or Administrative Fee and GM Family First clients do NOT and should not be charged that.
  • reese196reese196 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I too am planning to purchase the car. I have shopped around a bit and found a pretty good deal on a 2004 LT base model for $17495 after rebates. The only catch is it was a saleman's demo car and it has 7,000 miles on it. is this a good deal or should I buy a brand new one for appoximately $3,000.00 more?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    We are considering the Malibu Maxx, but I am disappointed to see that the October incentives appear to be less than the ones that ended in September? Right now on chevrolet.com or gm.com, the current offers in the North Central region on 2004 Maxx is $3,500 and that includes any GMAC cash.

Is the information about additional incentives such as GM family member (the recent $1,000 offer which I believe is not currently in effect) usually located on GM's primary websites (gm.com, chevrolet.com, etc.)? I do not see any information like this posted in the places where I've looked.
  • bdubseebdubsee Member Posts: 15
    Hello all, this is a great forum. I picked up my '05 Maxx LT 1SB this afternoon. Went with the Black with Gray interior. I leased using GMS, a $1000 UAW-Retiree Certificate, $1000 rebate, and $500 GMAC Bonus Cash. The SmartLease is 24 months, 30k miles. I paid 1st month and security deposit and my payment is $275.19.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your information! Enjoy your new vehicle.
    On Saturday, my salesperson delivered our new 2004 Malibu Maxx LT to our driveway. The dealership is Suburnan Chevrolet in Ann Arbor, MI. We live 50-60 miles away. I was impressed that they offered to deliver the car. After all, it's a Chevy store, not a Lexus store. Overall, very pleased with the purchase experience. Only drawback was the vehicle was not really prepped as well as a new vehicle should be.

Some particulars of the deal:

Demo vehicle (driven by 60 year-old parts manager who drives like a grandpa, according to the salesperson) with 5300 miles.

Maxx LT with 1SB, DVD, XM Radio, CD changer, and sunroof. No OnStar.
    MSRP $27,250
    GMS $24,225.25
    Discount ($1,500) - this is the amount below GMS that I negotiated.
    Rebate (3,500)
    Price before tax and other state fees $19,225.25

I also paid $1,699 for a $0 deductible 5 yr / 90k mile Major Guard warranty. This was probably more than I should have paid, but I didn't feel like hassling with bargaining on it from multiple dealers and I gave in to the sales pressure. It was about $200 below the 'GMS' price that the salesperson originally quoted.

Our Maxx is Driftwood with the tan interior. The Maxx's exterior styling has grown on me over the past several months. It's not exactly beautiful, but I think of it as different - in a good way.

The interior flexibility, features, and quality is much more important to me. The Maxx scores big in all those areas.
    Forgot to mention a couple things:

No trade-in involved in this transaction.

Dealer did add a $75 'doc' fee to the $19,225 price.

Competing dealers were willing to sell $500 to $550 below GMS pricing on a brand-new 2004 Maxx LT. We decided the extra $1,000 discount was worth it in exchange for taking a vehicle with 5,000 miles on it.

Dealer indicated they couldn't / weren't allowed to show the price of the vehicle below GMS. So I paid tax on the $24,225 price instead of the price after the $1500 discount and the $3500 rebate. The $1500 and $3500 were shown as down payment, basically. I did not press the salesperson on this, as I assumed it must be required by state law or something. I doubt the dealer is charging me extra sales tax and then keeping it, since this would be unwise and illegal.
    seems odd they can charge you tax etc on 24k when your negotiated price was 19K.....on your sales invoice..wondering how they showed the sales tax calculation.....
    MAJOR GUARD..price..was high..but hey if you are happy with the deal that is great....the lowest I have seen is 1570 for a 6/100k plan with 0 ded
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    In the NE the best deals were in July when they had a glut of vehicles,6k in rebates and now only 4K.
    Sounds like I'm not a TON above the best price you have heard of. $129 more than what you saw, although that was 6 yr / 100k instead of the 5 / 90 I bought.

I had a feeling I overpaid somewhat, but I just didn't feel like dealing with it any more.