Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• frogger123frogger123 Member Posts: 20
    Sounds like a fantastic deal. What state did you purchase it in? How do you like this car? I'm considering purchasing one myself. Thanks!
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I'm from central lower Michigan just outside of Lansing and got the car from a dealer near Grand Rapids. So far the car has been great but I've only put a couple of hundred miles on it. Planning a trip to Chicago this weekend so we'll see how that goes. The fuel mileage has been very good too. The computer is telling me I'm getting 34 + mpg on the highway and no less than 28 average. I think the car represents a very good value for the price, especially when you consider everything that is included in the base LS.
  • bluechevy1bluechevy1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm thinking of purchasing a new left over 05 malibu LS with option package 1sb. The dealer currently has $4,500 off marked on the window.. Sticker price is $23,360. Can someone give me some realistic numbers.. I'm also eligible for the GMS supplier discount..

Thanks
  • bobyera1bobyera1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT with anti-lock brakes and remote vehicle start in Massachusetts for 17,800
    Thank you for your response.. was this your price before tax? dealer i visited yesterday was very rude.. They wanted to allow me $4400 which has a NADA trade value of $7200. I think they quoted me 18,400 for their mailibu which supposedly included my GMS discount. WHen i told them what i needed for my car, they were totally done with me.. and i might add, not once did they invite me inside the store to sit down and try to come up with a figure. i actually drove an 06 accord se last night and the dealer was lower on price than the 05 malibu..
  • bobyera1bobyera1 Member Posts: 2
    My price was before tax. Your best bet is to keep negotiations separate. Don't even let them know you are considering trading in your current car before you negotiate a price on a new car. Once you agree on a price, then you can bring up the subject of a trade in. Find another dealer though you will usually have more leverage buying at the end of the month.
  • jes1955jes1955 Member Posts: 8
    A dealer in my area is offering this identical vehical for $17,480. I think you could bring them down more.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    A year ago I bought an '05 LS Maxx for $16,000. That seems to be an extremely high price for a leftover sedan. I'd figure low fifteens at most.
    Thanks to all for your replies.. the info was really helpful. I was surprised that the dealer wouldn't be a lil more anxious about moving a car that was a year old as I didn't see anyone in line trying to buy it. I am considering a different make/model..
    It's an extremely enjoyable car-- at least the Maxx-- I think there's better sedan buys elsewhere. (wish there was ten different mid-sized hatches out there) Did you attempt to go directly to the Internet sales coordinators through Edmunds? My two closest dealers quoted exactly the same price.
  • snowpuntersnowpunter Member Posts: 3
    Long time reader, first time poster (someone should trademark that phrase...). Picked up an 05 LS with side air bags, sunroof, spoiler with 16k miles on it for 12,950 (14k OTD) in Salt Lake City area in January. Car was leased in Washington DMV as a fleet car (why they want a fleet car with a spoiler and sunroof beats the heck out of me) and racked up the miles in a little over eight months.

Anyone have any experiences on purchasing used fleet Malibus? The only thing out of the ordinary I've noticed has been a slight hesitation when going from 2nd to 3rd gear, though its infrequent. Also only getting about 22 MPG with mainly city driving... Any advice on improving that would be helpful as well.

So far my wife has loved the car (it was for her though I try and find excuses to drive it, I drive a 96 Accord to work and school) and doesn't have any complaints other than the low MPG...
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    sadly snowpunter, I have that same "hitch" in my tranny between those gears. It is about the only thing I don't like about the car.
  • snowpuntersnowpunter Member Posts: 3
    I've searched through most of the other forums about tranny problems and it didn't seem that it was a frequent problem or at least enough of one for GM to look into it... The 04s had the howl but I couldn't find much on the 05s...
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I believe my car had the PCM software upgrade which included a "fix" for the shaking, hard start, and the 2-3 gear upshift; correct E2helper? Perhaps I need to go and have it reflashed again. I have had intermittent hard starts again, and the upshift is annoying when semis are bearing down on my Maxx and I need some get up and go.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I don't think there is any new calibration beyond what you have, maxx4me. With respect to the 2-3 upshift, I am not aware of that one.

The calibration update you had (among other things) modified the 3-4 upshift. I think it had something to do with using cruise control going up a hill, having the vehicle downshift to 3rd to maintain speed and then when you crested the hill the vehicle wouldn't upshift back to 4th keeping you at a higher RPM.
    yes i've heard mostly good things about the Malibu. This same dealership also has a leftover 04 MAXX with the LT package, fully loaded... I did not go thru the internet sales coordinators.. perhaps I should and save myself a lot of grief. would be great if GM would bring back 0% financing. I looked at an 06 the other day, it looks as if GM has lowered the MSRP on these new vehicles? Have you heard anything about this? BTW your $16,000 Maxx, was that an otd price or before taxes etc..
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Bluechevy1,
    Yes, GM lowered the MSRP on most all 2006 models shortly after the first of the year. The MSRP price on my 06 LS sedan was $16,990.00, which was a drop of about $1,000.00. I am certainly surprised to hear that any dealer has a leftover 2004 car this late into the 2006 model year.
    I paid $16,000+ (less than $16.1)in February 05. This was almost exactly $6K off. I used the Edmunds Internet link and all dealers quoted the same price. I got a $500 auto show discount and another friends and family discount but this only amounted to about $60 or so. This price did NOT include a GM card discount.

Adding taxes is confusing because each state does it differently. Missouri sales tax isn't paid at time of sale but when the car is registered. License plates belong to the owner and are transferrable between cars.

I would think a leftover 04 would be greatly discounted. Lots of GM cars suffer greatly from first year production problems and the Maxx was certainly no exception.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I would think a leftover 04 would be greatly discounted. Lots of GM cars suffer greatly from first year production problems and the Maxx was certainly no exception.

('04 owner shaking his head up and down vigorously)
  • carbonnicarbonni Member Posts: 33
    According to Edmunds, a new 2006 Maxx LT has an invoice price of $19,681. The customer cash is $750 and the March Madness promotion can add another $500 to that. Assuming that a new 06 Maxx LT can be bought at invoice, its price would be $18,431 after rebates, which is some $2,500 more than what you paid one year ago. WOW!
  • gossipgossip Member Posts: 1
    anybody bought the MAXX LT recently? any discount and rebates available in March or April?

I am planning to buy a 2006 MAXX, and would like to know the price you guys paid before I go to talk to the sales guy.

any previous purchase price(i.e. bought in 2005) is also valuable. Please share with me.

Thanks a lot

Gossip
    I think my price was well below what was listed on Edmunds. I did e-query three dealers on Edmunds. Two responded with identical prices. Is the 06 LT the same as an 05 LS?
  • carbonnicarbonni Member Posts: 33
    I think the 06 Maxx LT is essentially the same car as the 06 Maxx LS (with a few minor differences).
    Dealer has a leftover 2005 Malibu Maxx LS with a nice options package that lists for $23500. Its now down to $16,900 with the "March Madness" promo. Plus I could get $2000 more off with my "top off" GM card promo (down to $14,900). Its tempting.
    That sounds pretty good since the discount is about the same as mine (before card) since car retails at about a thou. higher. Of course you have another year of depreciation but if you run the hell out of the car, no one's going to know the difference at 150K. The car should easily go that distance and the idea of a big hatch wears enough with me that I think I'm going to be happy with this car eight years out.

Is the $2K available to all cardholders? I let my GM card go about nine years ago because I was having all sorts of trouble getting mailed checks into them (strangely the difficulties increased as my balance went up). Of course that was before Internet payments. I put about $4K on a 97 Cavalier (put a big down payment on a Dodge van with it) and closed the card--the days of those high discounts on new cards were soon over.
    I think only certain card holders got the "top off" offer. I have around $850 actually earned on my card. I received a note in the mail that GM will "top off" to $2000 until March 31. My in-laws also have the card, but did not get the offer. So, I guess it depends on your balance and maybe the last time you cashed in your earnings. I am tempted to persue this car. Just not excited about having another car payment right now. It would be replacing an aging Taurus with 100,000 miles that has been averaging $2000 a year in repair costs in recent years.
    Fourteen months of driving and the car has been flawless (other than one recall) and the best I've had in almost fifty years of driving. I'd go for it.
  • kistepkistep Member Posts: 15
    I'm considering buying a leftover (but still new) 05 Maxx from one of a couple area dealers.
    1) Not sure if this is a good deal, given depreciation as it sits on the lot, and
    2) Not certain what a good price for this would be.
    Is GM offering factory-to-dealer incentives on these right now, or is it just whatever each dealer feels like giving you just to get it off the lot?
    Thanks!
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Was driving home from Atlantic City with my 2004 Malibu Maxx when I noticed the Temperature Gauge was still on the "C". This was after driving 10 minutes.Normally is positioned at least 1/3 up. Was wondering if using the remote start may have caused the problem or it is something else? Has anyone else had this problem. Tried shutting off and restarting and the same thing. Guess it will have to go in to the dealership. Wondering if it may be a fuse? Any advice will be appreciated. :-)
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Doubtful it is a fuse. There have been a few other posts on something similar. Contributing factor might have been a remote start (of course you shouldn't expect that too happen).

I believe what you experienced was a temporary "rationality fault" by engine computer on coolant temperature sensor because it checks reading on start-up and it compares it to inlet air temperature. There are certain default actions taken when this occurs during an ignition cycle.

If this occurs more often have your dealer check for codes. However this condition might have to happen a few times in a row for a code to set.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    if you are worried about depreciation.....cars arent an investment for resale......the Maxx has shown a significant depreciation...but I will keep ours for 6-8 years before it is traded....04 LT here with 64k on it already....great car...minor issues..but nothing big...

not knowing the options...but since its about to be 2 model years old.....Im thinking you should be able to drive it off the lot for under 14K

check the GM website for incentive offers by region...I would doubt you will find in for 05 models...as dealers are preparing to unload their remaining 06 inventories about now
  • kistepkistep Member Posts: 15
    Pao,
    Been researching this tonight ...
    MSRP $23,360.
    Believe invoice (w/destination)then to be $21408.48
    Holdback and holdover allowance from GM: about $3682
    Dealer price then is: $17,776.48.

Would this realistically be the rock-bottom price then, or am I forgetting something?

Still trying to decide a base price to start negotiations at. Thanks!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I'm in the information gathering stage and would appreciate any feedback on what others have paid for a 2006 Malibu Maxx with safety curtain airbags, onstar, and rear wipers, especially those who have purchased in the San Antonio/Austin area as I am discovering that on certain models we are paying significantly more than in other parts of the country for vehicles.
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    Just picked up a '05 LT Maxx, Red. Sticker price on the car was 28485, has all the bells and whistles. Much more than I need (single, don't need a dvd player,lol). Didn't plan on buying this car till later this month when GM would put out their latest round of rebates. Sales lady asked me to make an offer, I lo-balled and they accepted. I offered $19,500, out-the-door. Makes it a sales price of 18500 or there abouts. 10000 off the sticker price. Unbelievable :shades:
    beleive very good deal..but also consider it was about to be a two model year old car if an 05..... and doubt you would have seen in rebates on an 05 model during the 06 model year......that 05 had been sitting on their lot at least a year....so they needed to sell it......paying interest on it was hurting them Im sure...but congrats on a good deal......an 04 LT here.....same as yours..with 67K on it and running strong!!!!
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Proud owner of a used 05 with 11,000 miles. Paid $14,700 out the door. I think I got a good deal since I love driving this car.
    Go GM.
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    I realize that this is an older message, but what are the lowest prices for the GM extended warranties? My wife has a 2004 Malibu that I would like to cover.
    since the car is over two years old now the GM warranties will probably be pricey.....

take a look here..should give you some idea

http://www.gmoutlet.com/quote/emailserver/majorguard/06mg2.htm
    I took a look at the prices for the GM warranties and found that they are very expensive compared to the extended warranty I'm about to purchase for my '07 Camry. A 7/75,000 warranty lists for $1195.00 but is going for as little as $520.00 plus tax.
  • marioramimariorami Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I'm buying a Chevy Malibu 2003 with 96.000 miles and I would like to know if the conditions and price the dealer is giving me are within the average to this kind of car.

To start, the car is in very good shape. It never has been involved on an accident or crash, even minor crash. It still keeps its original paint. The interior is clean.

As I mentioned before, it has 96.000 miles which from my point of view are too many miles to a four years old car.

Now, the price. The dealer is offering me a price of $6700 after 40 months financing, which means monthly payments around of $170.

Should I buy an extended warranty?.

With that amount of miles, will need to do mayor motor replacements?

Can I just "don't worry" for at least one year regarding mayor mechanicals problems.

I'll really appreciated if can I have your opinions about these matters.

Thanks a lot.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Even though this is a pricing discussion, we deal mostly in new cars..

For educated answers to your question, you might try re-posting it here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Or, here: Purchasing Used Vehicles

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

you really have to compare what is covered and the class..the prices listed..are those for the bumper to bumper covers all components and basically everything but tires, wipers and batteries...with varying levels for your deduction....which is GMs best plan

not familiar with toyota warranties....but a 7/75 for 520 seems very good...is that a third party warranty or is that directly through Toyota?
    That warranty is a Toyota warranty with a $0 deductible.

I was considering purchasing a GM warranty because our 2004 Malibu has started to creak when the steering wheel is turned and/or the car starts to move. It is intermittent, however, which is harder to diagnose. I will post this problem in another forum for help before taking it back to the dealership this summer.
    well if you got that warranty for 520..you got one sweet deal..most of the toyota forums are saying the 6/100 is running 1300 or so with a high of 1900....which runs higher that some of the GM warranty
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm sorry but $6700 for an '03 Malibu (last body style) is just too high. You should be able to do better than that.
  • unctarheel1unctarheel1 Member Posts: 19
    Hello All,
    I'm a father that just turned 50. Got a son, 18, and a daughter 23. A year ago i got my daughter a used malibu classic 2004 with 11k miles, paid around 9k i believe.

After hearing constant complaining and whining about the interior design for a one year old car, [the shift selector was a common one] i decided to let her do what she wants with it. [ mind you she's not spoiled in any way, at the time had two more years of law school left at UF left, Go Gators!]

Anyways, long story short, she got a decent trade in value for it and got an 06 scion TC....MANUAL! at first i thought that after 23 years of parenthood i made my biggest mistake. Turns out, quite the oppsite. She learned stick in a little over a week and enjoys the car in gainesville everyday.

The point of my post, i'm surprised how many of your are actually happy with this car, i would've never guessed, with GM's future and all. Personally, soon after she traded in her car, i got about a measly 65% of what i paided for my 2005 Explorer and got a Honda Pilot...opinions???

Doesn't matter how devoted American car lover are, the numbers lie...pilot gets slightly better gas milage, stlying, less recalls, and actually holds value.
  • kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    I'm starting to look at the Maxx SS, It's been a long time since I bought a Chevy. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be for a 2006 Maxx SS now. I'm looking at the base SS no options, Edmunds shows the invoice price to be 22,758 w/dest. Can I expect to get it for much less than invoice.
    Thanks
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    You mentioned she bought a 04 Classic, that is a leftover 03 only sold to rental companies and is NOT the same car as the redesigned 04 and newer. There is no comparison to the newer Malibu and the 03 and previous models (and 04 classic).

The Malibus that people rave about on these forums are most likely the NEW design, 04 and newer, NOT including the "classic"

Just thought I'd mention that in case you werent aware.
    There is a local dealer that still has four leftover 2005 Maxx's. One of them has MSRP of $24,965. What would be a reasonable price for this car considering its over a year old? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    offer him 14K and see what he responds with..its two model years old now...and he is paying interest on them.....