Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mjf6175mjf6175 Member Posts: 4
    Pao...I am sure he did, but I guess he is in business for a reason and only fair that some profit is made. I purposely looked for an 06 in order to get the biggest discount. The 07 only had 2k customer rebate available and no GM to dealer incentives. So that made a 2k difference between an 06 and an 07 assuming I could find a dealer selling an 07 at invoice which I didn't (most were 100-300 over invoice). The 07 SS is identical (may have side airbags). I plan on keeping it for around 5yrs so residual values of an 06 and 07 would be very close at that point. Condition/mileage of the car becomes more important than if it is 4 or 5yrs old when it comes time to trade or sell. I have had the car almost 2 months and the SS has more than meet my expectations and needs. Wish you luck in your purchase of the CTS and that you are just as happy with it.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the CTS purchase will wait to early Feb, in the mean time still have my 04 LT Maxx, which will be around for a few more years...107K on it now....and will put another 1200 on it this weekend....VA to SC and back.....
  • mjf6175mjf6175 Member Posts: 4
    WOW---104k miles. Do a bit of driving I guess. Up until a couple of years ago I was averaging anywhere from 30-40k a year too. Has your Malibu held up ok? Sounds like it has since you plan on keeping it longer. Now you will have something to look forwrd to come the spring with the STS.
    it is holding up find...just doing tires, brakes, oil and did the major maintenance at 95K.....so Im hoping it sees 150K as the second car.....it still rides great and gets 32-34 mpg on the highway....

the 08 CTS will not see that kind of mileage....also have an 06 Pontiac Solstice in the garage as well with 30K on it
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with intended owners of the 2008 Chevy Malibu who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Wow, this forum is slow. Over a month with now new posts and last posts referring to 2006 models.

I can't find a website that lists discount prices for GM extended service contracts (or even suggested retail prices).
    What is the lowest price you can expect to find for a 6 year 100K mile $0 deductible contract with the fewest coverage exclusions?
    I see there are no lease posts about the 2008 Malibu here.
    Are the residuals so low that leasing a Malibu is pointless?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have purchased several GMPP extended warranties from gmoutlet.com. You can get the list and discounted prices online. Prices vary by year, make, model, current mileage, length of coverage and deductible amount. I always purchase 6 yr/90k/$0deductibe plan near the end of 12mo/12k miles as coverage begins when you purchase warranty, not on delivery date. Vehicle is then covered for about 7yr/102k miles.
    we too purchased a GMPP for our 06 Pontiac Solstice through them.....would highly recommend them.....we also bought at the end of the 12/12 period...for greater coverage...
  • bigcattxbigcattx Member Posts: 3
    I am in houston. This is my first new car. I really have no idea how much I should pay for it.

2008 1LT Malibu. With Power Convenience Package only. The total MSRP is 20995.

Can anyone tell me the price I shold pay for this car? Thank you all very much.
    go right here to edmunds and see what the invoice is for the car.....usually negotiate for 2-3% over invoice is my goal, if I cant use incentives...
  • flygirldiflygirldi Member Posts: 9
    I've been given a GMS price for an 08 Malibu 2LT w/power sunroof of $21,556. Does anyone know if this is an accurate price? If so, I would appreciate tips in trying to negotiate leasing this car from this point. No incentives or rebates being currently offered in Detroit on this car. Is it possible to get a "conquest rebate" on top of this for being a Chrysler customer?

Thank you.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    There's no conquest rebates on this car, only (according to my dealer) a $500 Military rebate if eligible. It's a hot car, and as with most every current GM, the sticker & invoices are held tight and discount margins are slim--and no rebates because it isn't necessary.

Dealers are pretty clear on GMS, just read from the invoice. If you want to verify, they've already given you that discounted price...just ask to see the invoice, where it will show that, Supplier, regular invoice, etc.
    After an exhaustive search and even an order (just yesterday), a 2LT 4-cyl close enough to what we wanted came up for grabs today and we snatched it. Our dealer and another local are trading Malibus, they want an LTZ for their sales manager and ours wanted the 2LT for us.

Back when first looking, the price was pretty clear, with no haggling. $200 over invoice on in located/swapped vehicles, and maybe better on something off their lot or ordered. The car we're getting was swapped, a 2LT with Sunroof, Premium Mats, and Side Molding.

Sticker = $23,777
    Invoice = $22,830
    Our Price = $23,030

Others we were looking at had lower invoices, because of no advertising, something that bumped this one up a tad, I think.

Then from there, we also had our $2000 topped off bonus GM card earnings, trade, etc. It was a great deal, all around, and easy...aside from the aggravation of trying to locate and get other dealers to respond to swap requests.
  • flygirldiflygirldi Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for the responses. The Malibus are hard to come by here in Detroit as well. Not many on the lots and going fast. The autoshow is next week here and the dealer today told me they are expecting some deals to possible after the autoshow. Already the GMS quoted price I was given Dec. 27, 2007 @ $21,556 has gone up. The 2LT - 4cyl. w/power sunroof was now quoted to me today at GMS $22013.78. I have found the dealers are not willing to swap here or respond to requests. I do really like the car though. I was shopping this and the 08 Sebring Sedan and now after driving this Malibu, I really don't want the Sebring. Congratulations are your new purchase. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter from a national newswire is looking to speak to consumers who have purchased the new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Please provide your daytime contact info (phone number) to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 14, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bowtiefan1bowtiefan1 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know if you can combine GM Mastercard cash with the GMS discount on the Malibu (or any other GM vehicle)?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Yes, I've done it several times over the years.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Can we wake this forum up guys? My parents are considering a Malibu and I'd love some feedback from new owners. Thanks! ;)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The malibu is priced almost as expensive as the v6 impala (about 22000). The impala frequently sells for 4500-6000 off msrp. You want this much off a 4 cyl malibu. A used 07 malibu original msrp 18000-20000 barely wholesales for 11000-12000 so theres a lot of padding on that msrp.

--jjf

Can we wake this forum up guys? My parents are considering a Malibu and I'd love some feedback from new owners. Thanks!
  • kkt2002kkt2002 Member Posts: 2
    are you talking about the GM extended family card, or just normal GM card?
  • kenkatkenkat Member Posts: 1
    Your parents will be happy with the Malibu. It is a great car that is everything all the reviews are saying. My wife and myself bought ours a couple weeks ago. We got the LTZ with the Amber bronze exterior. It has every available option. We are very happy with our selection.
    We looked at Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Acura TL, And the Infiniti G35 and the Malibu.
    My wife still likes the infiniti g35 for looks but agrees that she was disappointed with the test drive. It was loud inside with a lot of road noise.
    At first we thought we liked the Nissan Altima but it looked really cheap inside after driving the Acura TL but the Malibu still was pleasing to the eye after the Acura testdrive.
    Actually we would have went with the Acura TL if the price to value would have been a little closer. We just could not justify 5-6000 more for the Acura.
    We enjoy this car as much as any previous car we owned. So if your parents really like the Malibu I suggest you go out to a couple chev. dealers with them and test drive one. Also we are getting what they advertise with gas mileage with the V6.
    I hope this helps.
    I went to our closest dealer and they had only 5 Malibus (1 LS and 4 LTs, none were V6). I pulled on the door handle and am already put off by the fact that you can wiggle it up and down as if the handle was made from rubbermaid plastic.

Let's hope the Malibu has better feel inside that the Aura - the Aura Hybrid I sat in felt CHEAP.
    I notice things like that immediately...and think our '08 Malibu 2LT 4-cyl feels like a tank. All without that cheap or drab interior feel of many competitors, an extremely refined and silent drive, etc.

The sales pretty much show off the car, and how great it is. As reviews have said, the last gen had the platform...but it was never showcased properly. It was, for all intensive purposes, a perfect Enterprise kind of a car. Actually, having an '07 for a month, that was a huge factor in us getting the '08...I enjoyed that car, and never expected it, and at the same time the all new '08s which were being raved about were just coming out.

It's a fantastic car, and still nothing gets the comments, questions, stares, etc. our Gray/Titanium 2LT does, and then is still even more astounding to ride and drive in. We've owned a variety of vehicles from various classes, and it has them all beat so far for the overall "package".

DON'T compare it to the last gen (aside from substance and quality, it's now a stunner and will NOT be fleeted in those numbers), the Impala (which is a bigger V6-only car, but the king of rental and fleet sales, on an ancient platform, is cramped inside despite the size, etc.), or various others. Compare it to the class standards, and see what you think.
    I drive on of the class standards (although it is a 2006 model and has been updated with a new model I don't like nearly as much), and while the Malibu seems like a great car, I haven't spent enough time with it to make a sound decision. The door handle thing was a very bad first impression to me.

First and foremost, GM needs to get rid of 4-speeds in the 4-cyl cars.

Thanks for the post. May I ask...

Is your 2LT a V6?
    What did you pay for yours?

This is a prices paid forum, after all. :D

Thanks again!
    Ours is a 2LT 4-cyl WITH that "terrible and old" (right...) 4-speed, and we even love that fact. I knew going in all about the 3.6L (we were going to buy a Saturn Outlook and then Buick Enclave before), the 6-speed, and also that the 6-speed would be a late intro for the 4-cyl. Didn't matter, because after driving a 2.4L one as it was, I thought it was fantastic. I could see where 2 extra cogs could help keep revs down further at some times, but right now, it's a great combo. One issue with the 6-speed as paired with the 3.6L has been a generally lazy feel, with very slow downshifts and sometimes odd shifts in general, so it will be interesting to see how it is set up with the 4-cyl. It will be on lots soon as they just started ordering LTZ's with the combo for the last part of the '08 model year, and I hope to try one. As fantastic of an engine as it is, the V6 sucks more gas, is more expensive, heavier, etc. and while great, almost has too much grunt to be fully used in this car. To us (and especially me), overkill in this car.

As for price, I've actually posted it before, and will again.

Car: 2LT 4-cyl with Body Side Moldings, Premium Mat Package, and Power Sunroof
    MSRP: $23,770
    Invoice (with ad fee): $22,830
    Our price ($200 over invoice): $23,030

Would have been even less had it been from a dealer such as where we bought it without ad fees, but was a dealer swap in, we wanted it NOW, and the dealer, salesperson, and great pricing were all fantastic. So the discount seems small, but I know the salesperson and we freely printed out and looked at all the invoices of cars we found on the system, and that's just how it was. $200 over invoice without trying was fine by me, especially considering there was only 1 other one on the lot at the time and we went through 2 straight weeks of requesting swaps with other dealers, getting turned down or ignored (hot car=they don't want to), until finally this one came available.

It was for my mother, and she loves it, and I finally had the chance to take it out for a longer drive on my own today, and am still enamored. Exterior and interior are stunning, the overall solidity and finish is awesome (this car really feels like a tomb purring down the road), the seats and body space are terrific, and most of all, the 2.4L drivetrain combined with this extremely solid and silent car is incredible. You'd be hard pressed to tell it's 4-cyl by sound, or even a V6, and it just pulls away very energetically and silently.

I've had a chance to drive and play with many of the competitors and none match the total package or even remotely the emotional grab of this car. No, it isn't perfect, but it's an extremely well done car throughout. So, in the coming months, I very much hope to buy myself another identical one, probably an '09 with the 6-speed and Bluetooth, etc. I'll buy any brand, any model without preference, and this car still gets me.
    The new malibu 08 is a significant improvement over the old one. But it will continue (like the impala) to be a mainstay of the rental fleets like it has for years. The market is continually flooded with used rental cars, enhancing their depreciation.

A 22000 base ls impala barely wholesales for 13000 in a year, and the old model 18000 malibu wholesaled for about 11000 or so after year one. This has been the case for years. The new 08's are likely to behave similarly.

Given the base 21600 Accord LX sedan is advertised for about 18500, I would be hesitant to pay more than 16000 or so for the 20000 base malibu, given its (and the impala's) history. For any of the 25000 models, I would want significantly more off.

--jjf
  • jleasejlease Member Posts: 28
    My dad bought a 2008 Malibu toward the end of 2007 and I tried to convince him to lease it (27 month or 39 month SmartLease Plus) over the same concerns that you point out about potential fleet use.

I have leased my vehicles since early 1990's when Ford, GM and others began being aggressive on leasing for individuals. Now this drives my vehicle selection based on the most aggressive deals.

The Malibu lease carries a 3.15% rate and a 62% residual on 27 months and 50% on 39 months (15K miles per year). This compares to basically no incentives on the purchase.

By leasing, you can mitigate the risks of fleet sales or retail incentives that might impact your wholesale/tradein values 2-3 years from now when you go to turn the car in.

I believe there are too many risks in buying new unless you have a 5-6+ year hold strategy. I like to change into new vehicles every 2-3 years and leasing nevers leaves me upside down.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    GM has really cut fleet sales back a lot. You will not see piles of Malibus at rental lots like the last one.
  • aftikaaftika Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the 2008 Malibu LS. I paid $17600. Smooth ride and peppy for a four cylinder. It is incredibly quiet.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does this price include tax, license and fees? Also, if you don't mind, what dealership is this? Nice purchase.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Was this brand new or was it a demonstrator? Wow, that is a phenomenal price, sort of makes me feel like we were raped. We paid $19,610 (MSRP $20,225) in Boston for the LS but we added after-market leather for an additional $1,300.
    Good luck with your ride. Nice car only positive comments from all who've seen the car. It's like a driving bill board for GM.
  • gary11112gary11112 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP - Base, Floor Mats, and Dest - $20075

Paid - $18997

Bought in Frisco, TX

Personally, I'd prefer a prostate exam over the new car buying experience. This was no exception.
    In doing some research it says on edmunds here that the 2007 -Pontiac G6 sedan is based on the same platform as the new malibu and saturn. A 2007 used g6 4cyl msrp 21000 barely wholesales for 12000. This is a GM car very similar to the malibu, although I like the malibu interior better. Its highly likely though the malibu will wholesale about the same.

Currently the G6 incentive is about 3500 off and 2.9% for 60 months.A purchase about invoice would put one at 4500+ off with the 2.9%. The msrp on both vehicles is similar.

Don't pay msrp for a malibu. You want at least 4500 off the base and much more off the 24000 LT 4cyl. You can get one helluva Impala LT3 3.9v6 loaded msrp 25000 for about 19000-20000. Give it a little more time for production to fill the lots, if it hasn't already.

Good luck
    --jjf
    There is no reason to pay MSRP on a Malibu especially since people don't need to pay MSRP for a Camry or Accord.
    However, just because a G6 is on the same platform, doesn't mean a 2008 Malibu will have the same resale value as a G6.
    Resale value is determined by supply, demand and desirability, not platform.

Since the new Malibu is much more desirable and much more highly rated in reviews and has better styling in and out than a G6 and is also in much lower supply since there will not be so many 1 year old ex-rentals competing with new Malibus, it will have better resale than a G6.

The new Accord will probably have the best resale because it has the fewest ex-rentals competing with new Accords, but the Malibu will at least be much better than a G6 in resale.
    No, it WON'T, because the Malibu is not and will not be fleeted to the level the G6 ever was, and is a significantly better car. The G6 is thought of as Version 1, of sorts, for the platform and doesn't have the styling, refinement, or interior the Aura or Malibu, especially, do. And it is fleeted HEAVILY, and has very poor resale because of that.

The Malibu will not, years down the line, sell used for only a couple grand under new...but continually looking at the Impala, G6, etc. and what has happened with them are bad examples--all vehicles, from the getgo, acknowledged as being highly fleeted, sold at great discounts, etc. The Malibu is one of the later vehicles that is working to change this greatly, and will, with continued success.

And your idea of discounts on the Malibu is INSANE. The reason you can get thousands off of an Impala is because there are rebates, bonuses, etc. always laying on the hood. With the Malibu, as with a most newer and newer GM's, there is a very small margin between invoice and MSRP, so very little dealers can cut into for discounting and no cash on the hood to further subtract.

The absolute best deal you will get anywhere, for some time, will be a few hundred under invoice and that's it. Just because you can get a loaded Impala on a 20 year old platform and with a gruff V6 for close to the same as a loaded 4-cyl Malibu...that's not a valid point of comparison. The Malibu is a more sophisticated and refined vehicle, on a much more modern platform, has no rebates, etc.

Again, it's not perfect, but some of the illogical posts people are pulling out of their behinds on Edmunds in regards to the Malibu are incredible, and not in a good way.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    Hello all,
    This was my first trip to a local Chevy Dealer with a test drive of the 2008 2LT Malibu - had premium audio package and sun room. (MSRP $25,015).
    I have the GMS Supplier Discount Rate $23,982.04. Here was the first offers, any help getting these lower would be much appreciated...

- plus I'm doing the pull-ahead program (have 3 months left on 2005 Pontiac G6 Lease)

$1,000 down - quoted 3.15 APR
    For 39 months (12k/year) quoted $373.31
    For 39 months (15k/year) quoted $393.40

Is the residual % still %50 for the 2008 Malibu?
    I went online and used a lease calculator and with the same figures it came up with
    $333.96 - but I don't think I included delivery charge or any other fee's - not sure what they are.

Any advice to go in and negotiate this under $350 would be much appreciated - please respond here or email erodaman@optonline.net

Thanks,
    ER
    There are some paint color changes.
    Power adjustable pedals no longer available
    6-speed automatic available on all 4 cylinders except LS.
    Bluetooth available on most models except LS.
    Stability control now standard on all including the LS.

They will start taking orders for 2009s in a few weeks and start actually building them around June 16th so dealers should start getting the first 2009s by July.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Interesting that they decided to drop power adjustable pedals - not that I mind that much, but they do lend a bit of an upscale cachet to the car. Very much looking forward to the 6-speed auto paired with the 4 - I test-drove a new Malibu a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the 4 - the 6-speed should bump up MPG slightly. Also great to hear about stability control - that's quickly becoming an expected safety feature.

Any news on '09 pricing? Dual-mode hybrid?
    The never announce pricing this far in advance and they haven't said anything about a new hybrid coming at that time. Most likely, pricing will be announced by June.
  • fratricidefratricide Member Posts: 1
    Sticker - 23,135
    Offer - 21,900 (invoice)
    Minus owner loyalty 1000
    Minus GM card 2809
    Minus Citi Bank Card 1400

Paid 16,991

I've only driven it 100 miles so far but this one is night and day difference compared to the previous 2 Malibu's I have, a 2000 and a 2004 Maxx.
    Wow, great deal, right at invoice--you did well, especially with the owner loyalty cash now;)

And having driven an '07 for a month that I loved, which then transformed into mom buying the '08...I completely agree on your sentiments.
    Looking at the Saturn aura base (21000 msrp) used 07 it wholesales for about 13500 (kbb.com). It is virtuallly the same car as the Malibu LS. The pontiac G6 which is based on a similar platform wholesales for $12000. ($21000) msrp, although admittedly not as nice.

The $20,000 base 08 Malibu LS has $13000 written all over it in a year. The $25000 msrp model in the mid $15000's. This depreciation would be in line with the other models and the previous ( now classic) 07 bodystyle.

I would wait for some of the hype to die down in the auto press and try to get as close to $4000 off the base 08 LS as possible, more off the more expensive models, or equivalent financing. I'd try to repeat this toward November or sooner with the 09's.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    I just test drove the 08 LTZ this morning and the very first thing I noticed was the hard plastic interior which was a big turn off. Everything else was nice with the exception of not being able to purchase a NAV system. The salesperson said that they were running a "special" wherein you only pay the dealers' invoice. I'm in the Orlando, FL area and this is what they quoted to me:

$27,505 - invoice (mine had the sunroof, rear power package which was basically a rear power outlet and a shade for the back window)
    - 1,000 - GM loyalty cash
    + 2,654 - tax, tag, title (wasn't trading in anything)
    $29,159 - out the door price

What are your thoughts out there who have recently purchased the LTZ? I hate the whole dealership experience and would rather just cut to the chase with a fair bottom line offer.
    That price seems a bit high even with the sun roof. I would offer them $26K. By the way, I don't quite agree with your characterization of the interior plastic as hard. The plastic is textured and firm but not hard. For comparison, perhaps you should check out the Camry and other mid-size cars in this category. According to most reviewers the tactile feel in the Malibu is superior to the others.
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your input. I've driven a few other cars and feel like the Malibu's interior door coverings are right up/down there with the Chrysler products. It was the very first thing I saw when I opened the door - I don't even like it on my husband's Tahoe. Maybe it's just me. I've also driven the Camry Solara and thought that the interior was nice. Sebring convertible had a beautiful exterior but horrible interior - plus the convertible top ate up most of the trunk space. Felt that the Ford Fusion was boring. The Volkswagon Eos was very nice - I know it's not in the same category but I'm torn between a convertible and a "regular" car. As far as pricing, I hate this part of the whole negotiating ordeal. So you say $26k is fair - I'll keep note of that. I still have to drive the Hyundai Sonata Ltd and that will end my test drives of the sedan vehicles.
    One, I would ask to see the dealers invoice....I would offer 27 out the door including Tax and Title... I can get a LTZ in Northern Va for 900-1000 under dealer invoice at the moment....
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I am thinking about buying a new 2008 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder LT1. What do you all think is a good price including TTL? Feedback would be appreciated.
    In the Boston area I see a couple dealers advertising at $2,000 below invoice on the LS. But invoice to them includes advertising.
    A mazda 3 i or s sport sedan is about the same width as the malibu, height and is 14" shorter. It seems to have the comparable dimensions as to hip and leg room. The 14" seems to cost you about 25% in luggage capacity, although you gain that back and more with the mazda s sport hatch 5 door.

Even the 2.0 liter in the lighter 3 may outperform the Malibu much less the 2.3 liter in the sport and touring models. The mazda3 will turn in a 34' circle, being the same width as the malibu, while the chev will take 40' (the cumbersome old Ford C Victoria police car is 42') Also the electric steering in the base malibu is problematic for some. Definitely test drive both.

A similarly equipped 3 will cost you about $16xxx-. With some true deals $15000 and below for the i series. The 3 s sport hatch 5 door fully optioned msrp 19500 sells for 17200 and below all the time.

The mazda3 hatch or sedan is stunning on the road in Red, Blue, Gray especially at night, even after 4 years.

Read my previous post, and if the if you can't get a quote on the 20000 msrp Malibu LS in the high 16's yet I would move on. You may be able to get a well equipped 22000 msrp mazda6 sedan below 17000.

Of all things, even a 08 Hyundai Elantra gls auto (msrp 17000) may be comparable enough for many purposes, Has an unusual hi edmunds editor review rating of 8.3, rates highly with the Civic and 3, is fully equipped, 60/100k mi warranty and seems to sell for under $14000 all day long.

Good luck
    --jjf

#

I am thinking about buying a new 2008 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder LT1. What do you all think is a good price including TTL? Feedback would be appreciated.