Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ddombrowski1ddombrowski1 Member Posts: 5
    So we've done another few rounds of negotiating, not getting anywhere.

One dealer quoted us at 21,000 + $600 dealer fee = 21,6 and refused to go any lower.

The car in question, with GM supp pricing, invoices 23753, retails 23783, with a $200 bonus from GM to the dealer. 2750 in rebates.

If you take the 21,6 they want + 200 credit union incentive, they'll get 21,8 for the car, or 24,450 without rebates, which is HIGHER THAN THE STICKER PRICE OF 23,783!?!?! WTF?

I offered 21,000 for the car, no dealer fee. Thats a $150 profit and they get to put a number on the board. They refused to move on their price, then got nasty with us. Don't know what they're thinking.
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    I don't know what they are thinking either unless they are getting great showroom traffic and interest and feel like they have some flexibility. Hard to say until the April figures come out in May but I don't notice any uptick in buyer confidence these days. It is still a buyer's market and if dealer's want to think otherwise, it could be a very unprofitable Spring (then Summer, then....???).
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    There are very few great deals out there, certainly not a once in a lifetime sort of time to buy a car environment- yet if ever.

Many foreign makes have their production in order to work off any excess. Domestics are on the taxpayers dime- money transferred never to be seen again --. so no hurries to dump stock to raise cash.

Malibu is one of the few models with sales up a few % from last years #'s

Good luck
    --jjf
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    jjf

Those are good points to ponder. Maybe they AREN'T that desperate at this time. Oh well, I'm not in a hurry to buy anything so I'll just plod along with our 10 year-old vehicles. No harm at this point.
  • sierra95831sierra95831 Member Posts: 4
    jjf, will you give us specific dealer names where the $7k + discounts are available? I don't see anything like that here in Sacramento. Thanks.
  • ddombrowski1ddombrowski1 Member Posts: 5
    Finally worked something out with a dealership. Bought the car for 21,000 after a 2750 rebate for a total of 23,750. MSRP 24,680, Invoice 23,817. No dealer fee. No extras. Mom is happy with her new Malibu.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    was that the out the door price...or still have to add Tax, title and tags to that price?
    These are from newspaper ads in the southern Ohio area the last few months. Read my last 4-5 posts. The Malibu's Saturn twin has a used 08 trade in value of about 13000 with avg miles. The near twin 08 Pont g6 about 11000. Hyundai Sonata 08 (20400 msrp)gls about $11000. 08 mazda6 12000. Chev 08 impala ls (msrp 24000) $10500 trade in . .

You want at least a 15000 deal on a 22000msrp 09 malibu. Probably 13000 or so on a G6. Especially with Gm's situation. If you can't make it happen email 10 or more mazda dealers last week of the month (mazdausa.com website) for bids on a new 09 M6. Better car.

Good luck
    --jjf

will you give us specific dealer names where the $7k + discounts are available? I don't see anything like that here in Sacramento. Thanks.
    jjf: Generalities aren't much help, especially in response to a request for specific information. I've read all of your recent posts. I did that before I asked my question. I have not seen any Ohio dealers advertising the deals you say you've seen. So my question is simply, "Where are you seeing these deals?" Please share this information with the rest of us.

Telling me what I "need" to get on a Malibu because of what the trade-in value might be doesn't help me find the great deals you've reported.
    jjf:..just curious what you do.....are you a car dealer?....most of your messages are cut and paste on the same issues across the board.....Scion, Honda, Hyundai, and the Chevy forum here....

IMO no dealer is going to enter a car negotiation deal based on what the car is going to be worth in a year....depreciation is a fact of life on a car the second it rolls off the lot......if you are trading cars every 2-3 years...then yes.....it may be a factor....and your are definitely losing money..(again my opinion) if someone is doing that....most people today I beleive consider an auto purchase a long term investment (5-7 years at a min) and dont worry about trade in value.....I for one dont...as I tend tor drive the cars until they are not worth the effort or expense to repair anymore......

most dealers are willing to work at our slightly above invoice, and then add in the incentives ongoing at the time.....the Malibu seems to be a seller for GM right now just as the CTS is, paper ads are one thing, but getting into the dealer and getting that number is another.....
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I agree with you. I've seen the so called "screamer" ads in the newspaper listing a vehicle for a low price however when you arrive you find that either the vehicle isn't available or there are added "fees" associated with the vehicle. At any one time a person may get lucky and get a great deal on a vehicle and post it on here giving people the false impression that everyone will get that same deal in their market but the reality is not everyone will get that same price in their market. I've seen cases where posts have been made listing a great price however the dealership is never named making me wonder if there is more to the story than is being told.
  • luckycat007luckycat007 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased exactly the same car, used a GM employee discount which took it to 26100 roughly then took 0% financing vs. any additional rebates. If I did do rebates I was only offered 2750 off, which would be 23,350.

Curious could you break down your 6750 in rebates?
  • fpinhofpinho Member Posts: 58
    Hi,

The 6750.00 consists of:

1250.00 Rebate
    1500.00 Rebate
    2000.00 Lease Rebate
    1000.00 GM Card Earnings
    500.00 Auto Show Rebate
    500.00 Some kind of dealer rebate they through in
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The incentives this month are worse than last month and I think they will get even worse going forward due to inventory being adjusted.
  • jameskk1jameskk1 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a loaded LTZ in Black Granite.. loaded meaning it has the 6cyl engine and rear power package ($30K sticker).. I made an offer of $24,500 and the dealer accepted. In the end I decided to do the 0% financing so they added back the $2750 but I came out with lower monthly payments doing this. Was offered to ext. the base warranty to 6yr. 60,000 miles for an extra $13/mo. so I did it as well. I shopped around for about a month and this was the best deal I got. Another dealer told me that I should take this deal because there was no way that he could sell that car for $24,500. So far I am really liking it. The handling is good but the ride could be a bit better.. of course, I am coming from a Mercedes S500 which is probably the best riding car on the road.
    So these numbers are essentially fictional. They don't represent numbers available to most customers.

I could brag about a deal even better than that, if I hid my $3000 GM Card points in the mix. That doesn't help anyone else, and is clearly misleading.

Same for the lease rebate, for most buyers. And the auto show rebate and your mystery dealer rebate aren't any more common.

Let's keep the numbers real, so prospective buyers can see what deals are actually out there and available to all of us.
    Sierra,

For your information these numbers are real. GM Card is only 1K not 3K read the post. As for the 2K in lease rebate the dealer threw that in even though I didnt qualify for it. It's all about negotiating and doing your homework .... I dont know if all regions qualified for the auto show rebate (500) I know the northeast did and as for the extra 500.00 that is available to everyone, some kind of incentive from GM to dealer... again do your homework...
    fpinho,

you missed his point...that these incentives arent common to most buyers...yes perhaps you did your homework and negotiations....but depending on your region, incentives vary...right now in the northeast region...the incentives include supplier pricing for credit union members, and $2500 off or 0% financing for 60 months...just checked the GMsite, apparently the car show one has been dropped now

he also stated he had a deal done for $3k on his GM card.... and wasnt referring to yours....as far as your dealership was concerned....they obviously ate the lease rebate since you stated you werent eligible for it, as well as the the mystery $500 rebate.....so good for you and bad for them....again...probably not typical at ALL dealerships...but it appears you got a good deal......
    pao,

The GM website, for me anyway, is not a good site for the incentives. When you walk into the dealership ask the salesman or manager to see the official document from GM of all available incentives. Also you could check www.carsdirect.com as they list all incentives available and... the auto show rebate is still available as well as the lease cash (2000.00)
    Thanks, pao -- You heard what I was trying to say.

fpinho, I've spoken with a number of dealers about getting the $2000 lease rebate even though I don't have a lease. They all say that GM will hold them accountable for each of these, and if they can't show evidence of an actual, specific lease, GM won't pay the $2000 and it'll come out of the dealer's pocket. Not many dealers are likely to give away an extra $2000 to sell a car.

I heard of one dealer in the LA area who would give up $1500 of that money -- but that's a bit too far from where I live for me to take a chance that he's on the up-and-up (especially since he is, by definition, breaking GM's rules).

All I've ever asked here is that people explain where they get their figures. Just stating how much someone got off a car doesn't help the rest of us find similar deals. And I thought that was what this forum was all about.

Thanks for providing the additional details on your numbers. That clears things up a lot, and I can see now how you got to your final price. The only one I'm still not sure about is that lease rebate. If I found a dealer willing to go through with that, I'd be ready to buy.
    well using the gm website gave me more incentives than the carsdirect one as I checked them this morning....but again we just started a new Month as well so the incentives may have changed...one would hope the dealeships would have the lastest and greatest info...but of course...there are plenty of incompetent dealerships out there today.......hoping these are the ones that go first to the chopping block as GM thins them out....

regradless...thanks for sharing your numbers...as I stated before.....you appear to have gotten a great deal....from a dealer who wanted to make a sale.....
  • winnadamwinnadam Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone on here know where I can buy a front engine cover for a 2003 malibu, today?
  • valuehunter07valuehunter07 Member Posts: 31
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading the thread here, after recently deciding that I want to purchase a Chevy Malibu.

My first question is in regards to how to make a purchase.

Should I communicate with the dealers via email, until a basic agreement on the figures is reached? (versus actually going there, and sitting in the middle of the pressure tactics)

Second question is that when I checked a few of the dealer websites in my area (Los Angeles), there are only 3 or 4 Malibu LT2s listed.

Does this mean they really only have that many???

This concerns me greatly, for a number of reasons. Number one is that they will not show me all the options available, and will simply steer me towards one of the few that they have.

Number two makes it seem like they don't have a big inventory, and as such aren't as desperate to do a deal.

Any other places you could point me to, or personal pointers, would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks
    Received a quote on a 2009 Malibu LT2 with moonroof and premium audio.

OTD is $25,789

Please give any and all feedback/suggestions.

thank you
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    was that with tax title and license? if not, what was the price before those were added?
    Hi value hunter,

If you go to the http://www.chevrolet.com/ and on the left hand side there is an option --> find a vehicle click on that and use the zip code search. Make sure you choose the correct year 2009 on the next screen as it defaults 2008. This will give you an idea of how much inventory is out there in your area, plus you can even view the window sticker on each vehicle.
    That was out the door.

Nothing more added.
    thanks fpinho,

Their site isn't the easiest to navigate, but that at least helps....

I actually visited a "no-haggle" dealership today, and it was a GREAT experience!!! The guy was actually helpful, and after 2 hours there, I wasn't even sweating!

He agreed to look for me, to find the exact car and exact features I wanted.
    how much before TTL were added......seems it might be a bit high estimated at 6% sales tax and not knowing titling fees......would guess your cost on the car allow was approx $23.5K???
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i just recieved a internet quote for a 2009 malibu ls.these are the details...

2009 malibu LS

msrp....$22,450.00

discount of $682.00= final dealer quote of $21,768.00

is this a pretty good price?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    There is a $2500 rebate on the Malibu so you should be shooting for something around $17,900.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    as per my previous post.anyone purchased a 09 malibu LS in the south fla area lately??if so what did you pay?iam looking at a 09 malibu LS with the black granite and two-tone cocoa interior.iam seeing a wide range of prices here that people paid for this car or what they should be paying..from the 15k-17k including the rebates.isn't this kind of low for a car with a msrp of 22,450.00........although because of the economy there are deals to be had.
  • mr_jmtmr_jmt Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am looking to buy a Malibu LT 2LT. I have an offer of invoice - holdback. The car, with side moldings, luxury mats and premium stereo lists for $26,260. Deal price is $24,300, which includes a small credit union discount. No other cash back as I want to finance at 0% (though I could save $500 if I finance through my credit union for 60 months). This dealer is in Mass. and I have bought there before. My question is: will there be better deals in June? I know invoice - holdback is a good deal, and cannot find that in northern NJ where I live, as the dealers are all lower volume than the one up north. The holdback is $722.60, which is calculated by taking (MSRP - Destination Charge) * 3%. There is the usual local/national contribution included in the invoice totaling $510.80. This was a good deal when I bought my Tahoe in 2004. Is this a good deal in today's market?
  • jay137jay137 Member Posts: 17
    I think some of the posting on here are by car sales people who don't have any customers so they play on the computer all day and circulate fantasy prices.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,119
    Interesting... you bothered to sign up, just to tell us that you don't believe the prices that are posted here? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    Well, if you want some real numbers, check out Quality Chevy of Escondido near where I live (In northern San Diego County)...

They have a brand new 2009 Chevy Malibu HYBRID 1HY available at only $25695 plus a $1500 total cash back allowance! That's a pretty sweet deal compared to all these other numbers being thrown around. And you can even give them a call just to verify if you don't believe your own eyes! hahaha
  • mr_jmtmr_jmt Member Posts: 9
    The deal I posted is real. When I bought my 04 Tahoe, I went to the Tahoe forum and someone turned me on to this dealer (Quirk, Braintree, MA). I bought that vehicle for Invoice - holdback and probably will do the same for the Malibu I am looking for (this is before any GM cash back, GM Card offers, etc.). It's a savings of $1,000 compared to local dealers in norther NJ, and I have family in New England within 75 minutes of the dealership, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

I just want to know if anyone is getting better than that in this market and if anyone knows what GM will do come Monday.
    An 08 Saturn aura like the malibu ls (virtual copy) has a used trade in value of about 12000. The Pontiac g6 (near copy) about $10000. Both 22000 msrp. (kbb.com) The ford fusion 4cyl similarly equipped also has a used 08 trade in of about 12000. A like 08 Sonata gls $10000.

$15000 for a new 09 Malibu LS or 18000 for a loaded ltz isn't anything to risk getting a ticket driving to the dealer.

Good luck
    --jjf
    dont understand your point of constantly quoting trade in values of a year old car JJF.....that is all you seem to want to offer on the forum.......most people these days dont consider a trade in value since most keep a car longer than 5 years now.....at that point....trade in value is a mute point.....and do your numbers reflect GM advertisements of trade in value guarantee should you opt to by another like brand?.......
    If one pays the normal $20000 for a 27000msrp 09 Hyundai Sonata limited, it is not worth getting excited about 7000 off msrp, as the 08 Sonata has a trade in value of $11000. (if that)

In this example, one (many on the Sonata forum) has paid $9000 to drive a average sedan the 1st 12 months. This is whether you drive the car 1year or 10 years. One may also be paying finance charges on the 9000 for 5 years and be instantly underwater. Many are paying $6000 to drive the $20000 msrp Gls for 12 mo. $4000 off msrp here no great shakes.

Buyers of the 09 Mazda3 i touring value edition were buying the car all day long in the $15000's, with a trade in of about $13000 on the 08 model. $2000+ to drive a (above?)average consumer car 12 months is unordinarily cool. $6000-9000 less so.

Average buyers of the 09 Honda accord may be eating $3000 or less to drive their car the 1st 12 months. (08 trade-in 18-20k) Good. Average buyers of the $24000 msrp Chevy Impala may be eating 8000 or so to drive it the 1st 12 months. Bad (08 trade-in $10000)

most people these days dont consider a trade in value since most keep a car longer than 5 years now.....at that point....trade in value is a mute point.....

So that's settled, nyet, nada, no, nunka

Large differences between 1yr trade in and msrp usually indicate significant dealer (advertised and unadvertised) incentives, very good marketing gimmicks or legitimate financing incentives on the particular car, or shuttling off production to rental fleets.

Paying 15-25% over a model's 08 trade-in value for a new 09 model I'm sure you will agree is much better than paying 50-80% over. Do you think that is enough to offer on the forum? Some models represent much better value over others.

I have very little concern with Gm's or any other nameplate's marketing gimmicks. Trade in protection, etc etc... Especially now. GM and Chrysler can offer nothing but taxpayer funds for the forseeable future if anything.

--jjf

Good luck

-----------------------------------
    dont understand your point of constantly quoting trade in values of a year old car JJF.....that is all you seem to want to offer on the forum.......most people these days dont consider a trade in value since most keep a car longer than 5 years now.....at that point....trade in value is a mute point.....and do your numbers reflect GM advertisements of trade in value guarantee should you opt to by another like brand?.......
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Those prices aren't that good.

I am seeing LS, LT and LT1 trims sell for about $2,500 to $3,000 below MSRP, but the kicker is that I have a friend who works at a dealership (that sells Chevy among three other brands), and he's told me sales have literally tanked in the last two weeks as people await GM's bankruptcy filing tomorrow.

No one knows how the act of filing is going to affect foot traffic or confidence in even GM's formerly better selling cars like the Malibu and CTS.

Wait and see...

I would NOT buy a Malibu now if at all possible to avoid it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    "I would NOT buy a Malibu now if at all possible to avoid it."

Really? GM has filed for bankruptcy re-organization and the world hasn't come to an end. What has ended are some of the incentives, according to my dealer. June incentives are not quite as good as in May because sales of the Malibu were strong in May.

So if I had followed your advice, which was based on nothing but speculation, I would have paid $1,500 more for a Malibu on June 1st than I did on May 31st.

I qualified for FOUR incentives in May: 1) Credit Union/Buying Service price, 2) $1,000 conquest price (switching from another manufacturer), 3) $2,500 standard cash back, and 3) $1,000 lease incentive because I will be ending a lease on another vehicle in 3 months.

So I basically paid $4,500 below the vehicle Program Price, which is a couple hundred below the Dealer Invoice cost (not MSRP).

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, but if you belong to a credit union or to Costco that has a car buying service, dealers will give you that price without using the service.

I bought this car for my niece as a graduation gift, but I'm driving it for a few weeks. I'm very impressed with this car for the price. And that's saying something because I'm a long time BMW driver.
  • loulovecarloulovecar Member Posts: 2
    I got a price of $ 500 below invoice on loaded ltz malibu
    with upromise web site. This is in florida do you guy think
    there are better deal out there or is the best i can do.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    An '06 driftwood Malibu Maxx LS (I think - had cloth seats) with a 1 year dealer warranty (Carr Chevrolet) was going for around $7500. The dealer is in Beaverton, OR (the sale is in the Beaverton Kmart lot).

Ironically, what they were asking was the same I got in trade for my '04 Maxx LS about a year or so ago.
  • ktscott01ktscott01 Member Posts: 1
    Just paid 22886 minus 2000 in rebates. Rear power was the only addition.

So 20,886 then minus C.A.R.S. (4500)
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    What was msrp of car? I assume no trade in allowance since you got the clunker deal, yes?
  • sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Malibu about 48k miles. Chevy dealer told me that I need transmission flush, induction service, and mass air flow cleaning. Here is the price list,

Transmission flush: $206
    Induction service: $154
    MAFC:$88.

Are those service necessary, are those prices reasonable???
    Thank you very much for your advice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,119

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks kyfdx. Have a good weekend.
    Sean
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I wanted to get feedback/opinions on what you all think would be a good OTD price for a new 2009 Malibu LT1 with the 6 speed automatic engine? Thanks.