Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cintiwestguycintiwestguy Member Posts: 10
    Wife has gotten prices in on Malibu LTZ w/ V6, rear power pack, moonroof. Color is White Diamond. She also likes the Red Jewel so the added color cost is in the price.

Price quoted was $26,115 after rebate and dealer discount.

Is this a good price or should I be looking at something else. We're in Cinti. Also, she may be interested in leasing for 36 mos, 12k/yr with $0 down.

Thoughts?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just recieved a price quote from a local chevy dealer for a 2010 malibu LS sedan.
    msrp is $22,845.00 and final quote from dealer is $19,730.00...don't know if this is including all the rebates that are available now for the malibu.if it is i think i can probably do better elsewhere.
  • ekinekin Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2010 Malibu LTZ with V6, Sunroof and Compact Spare Tire and White Diamond paint. MRSP was $30,365. Paid $24,694 including $3,000 in rebates (2,000 manufacturer and 1,000 loyalty).

Purchased in Western Suburbs, IL
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Was 24K OTD, including taxes,TTL and all that Jazz?
  • ekinekin Member Posts: 5
    No, 24694 was before TTL, which came out to a littel over 2K additional. I also didn't include the 3,000 in gm card earnings that I used on the deal.

Total OTD for me, after all rebates, gm card earnings and including ttl was 24,100
  • greg777greg777 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a new (40 miles on odometer) 2010 Malibu LS - Stickered at $22.7 - only option was the spare tire,

Paid $14,699. Including TTL and $65 "Doc Fee", out the door for $16,079. Price includes all rebates including the GM card "Top-Off" up to $2,000. I see the same add in paper quite frequently.

Picked it up last Friday 2/5/2010.
  • rnahouraiirnahouraii Member Posts: 22
    I have GM rebates also -- what is a "Top Off?"
  • greg777greg777 Member Posts: 9
    Every now and then (perhaps 2 or 3 times a year), notices are sent out to holders of GM Cards (credit card accounts) that bump up there "earnings" to a higher level.

The most recent one was good for a month or two, an just expired.

Regardless of what your actual earnings were, GM increased the earnings rebate (the "Top Off") up to either $2,000 or $3,000. I have no idea why some cardholders got 2,000 and others 3,000. These were good toward any new GM car, and on top of all other discounts and rebates.

Hope that helps.
  • rnahouraiirnahouraii Member Posts: 22
    Thank you -- I must have missed it. Your price is excellent, however.
    I was on Chevy's website few months ago and GM was offering 2K off the MSRP right on the website, few weeks later they bumped it up to 2.5K, right now it is 3K.

I am wondering why are they offering these huge discounts, last time i checked on Autonews GM had 120+ days of inventory. Could it be that Malibu is not selling well?
  • kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    Any ideas on how much under invoice I should be able to get on a 2010 LTZ V6 before any rebates are added, I can get $5,000 in rebates but wanted to get as much below invoice as possible first.
    I am in upstate NY.

Thanks
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    edited March 2010
    I saw them (2010 Malibus) advertised by local dealer for lease for $199 a month so I checked to see what rebates were. I saw they were $3500. I went to the dealer and they said rebates were $3000 on the Malibu. Then they added that there was another $1000 rebate for high time on lot cars, which meant the oldest 20% of current stock. I went back 1 week later and the car I had in mind was gone. They added a Black granite metallic one (mrsp $24440) to the oldest 20% while I was trying to find one that wasn't white or goldmist.
    Armed with my edmunds rebate printout I asked what they could do on the granite LT against invoice. They came back with $1000 off sticker in lieu of the $500 rebate they had no info on and my request for how close to invoice they could come. The total was $5000 off msrp. I accepted and then put my $3455 GM card earnings against their $19440 offer. They hit me with a $199 doc fee. I also have $831 from my Citi driver's edge cc that brings the total before tax and doc fee into the very low $15's. It is my first new vehicle since my '01 Silverado, which still only has 27k miles on it. They had a used '09 LS in the showroom for $18,999, so I am pretty happy getting new instead. Full warranty, etc.
    It has the bluetooth sync, power seat, remote start, custom mats, and full size spare and the custom metallic paint. The 6 speed tranny was the upgrade I was willing to go for after I found out about the added $1000 rebate. It adds 3 mpg hwy for a rating of 33.
    just recieved a quote for a 2010 malibu ls sedan.msrp is $22,800.00 and dealer quote is including the $3000.00 rebate in effect is $18,100.00 plus TTT...is this a good price??
  • bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    Recently purchased a new 2010 Malibu LTZ. Options included, sunroof, rear power package, red jewel tintcoat paint, and compact spare tire. Sticker price was $28950. I traded in a 2001 Malibu with 113,000 miles. Used the $3000 GM rebate, $500 car show rebate, $1000 GM private offer rebate, had $3274 earning on my GM Mastercard I used and got $1700 trade-in on the 2001 Malibu. Took the price down to just over $18,000 before I put the first cent down!
  • czcon1czcon1 Member Posts: 39
    Is the $3000 rebate good for leases too?
  • bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    When I bought my Malibu, it was only good on purchases. I believe the $3k rebate has ended now anyway.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    no posts since may? aren't these cars selling??
    welcome to the economy......
  • bradsaudibradsaudi Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased this week for $15896 + Tax + Title + Doc. $5,000 in rebates, $1,000 Pontiac Owner, $1,000 GM Card, $3,000 Manufacture's Rebate.

Taupe Grey in color (new color). Bluetooth, Body Side Moldings, Compact Spare Tire, Floor Mats.

We're really enjoying the car. We might have been able to get a gold mist for less ($500-$1000), but for that kind of money we wanted to get what we wanted.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who were looking at mid-size vehicles and were choosing between a four and six cylinder engine but chose the four cylinder because of fuel prices or to save money. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Monday, July 19, 2010.
    trying to work a deal for a 2010 chevy malibu ls..options are bluetooth,floor mats,and bodyside moldings.msrp is around $22,000.00..-$3000.00 in rebates..i offered $18,000.00 and was refused.iam comparing this car to the 2011 sonata which i think is turning out to be the better deal.
  • helaurinhelaurin Member Posts: 2
    After all rebates and negotiation, including trading in a beat-up 2003 Saturn Ion with 130,000 miles, the final cost for my Malibu - including tax, tags, destination charges, doc fees, etc. - was just under $14,600. I gave no downpayment, using the trade-in as my downpayment.

Dealership was nice; we started the negotiation at $1,100 UNDER invoice using the AAA buying program, so I was already more than $2K less than MSRP. Then apply $3,000 model rebate, another $1,000 Saturn loyalty rebate, and GM card rebates of more than $2,400, and we were already working at $7,500 under invoice.

Dealership was Porter Chevrolet in Delaware.
    that is a great price considering i just got a email quote from a local chevy dealer for a 2010 malibu ls for $18,100.00.......
  • magichourmagichour Member Posts: 3
    How can you use $2,400 GM card rebate? I though the GM card allowance is only $1,000 on Malibu?
  • zin22zin22 Member Posts: 15
    So has anybody just figured out what percent % to subtract off the sticker price to reach invoice?
    Or should we be able to purchase a 2010 below invoice and if yes how much below.
    Everyone is talking about how much they got off from their GM cards and rebates but I think knowing a % to deduct from the sticker price would be the most help. Then everyone can add their rebates , incentives, GM card ,etc.but EVERYONE will be able to see what you really got off of the sticker price.
    I am thinking 8-9% off sticker is doing very well. any other thoughts??
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi zin22. If I was in the market for a Chevrolet Malibu right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of right around dealer invoice minus the $2,000 consumer cash that is currently available on it.

Either that or I would shoot for invoice and finance it through GM at 0% for 5 years.

You can look up the dealer invoice price of the exact model that you are interested in over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • stans40stans40 Member Posts: 16
    helaurin,
    Would you please explain how the AAA buying program works. I am not a member, but could join if it will save me some money.
    Thanks,
    John
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Question...

Looking at a 2010 Malibu LTZ, 27K miles. The dealer price is around $21,500. Edmunds TMV has it priced at around $20,000. I am assuming V6 motor but I am not sure as I haven't been able to look at the car to verify and I don't trust the ad as it lists equipment that does not match the LTZ trim level. This will be purchased Arizona and so taxes, titling and license fees will total around $2300.

I am thinking that offering $20,000 OTD would be a good starting point, and would certainly hope to get that price, but I think that is a bit low considering that would be asking them to lop off over $3800. The price of the car would be $17,800 before taxes and such. Is that price worth shooting for or is it too low ballish?? Would getting out the door for $21,500 be a fair price? I don't want to pay over $21,500 including all the fees and such, but if that price is too low, then I may have to adjust for that. But I think it is in the ballpark of what is fair.

(Note: I understand there are factors here which I may not be able to control like the price the dealer paid for the car at trade and any other doc fees the dealer may tack on that could affect the price)
  • rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    I bought a new 2011 Malibu. I think you should do the same.

I got a 2500 gm rebate with 1000 gm loyalty rebate with 500 dealer cash and 2000 gm credit card credit and the dealer was at 2000 off MSRP.

The MSRP was 25500 (LT2 4cyl plus sunroof) and I got it for 17,200 and out the door at 18,700.

You can also get a Pontiac G6 2010 rental with about 17000 miles and the v-6 engine for about 16,000 around columbus, Ohio. The 2010 g6 was available to rental fleets and is actually a Malibu with pontiac sheet metalw which is actually quite nice.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    What exactly is the status of the new 2012 Malibu? This is supposed to be a redesigned car on a shorter wheelbase (which means that I won't buy it) but although "Spy" photos are all over the net I would assume that it would be manufactured in May if it is coming out. Does anybody know about this?
    OK so i am trying to buy a used LT1, with 14K on it. Keep in mind 2011 are on sale already, i was offered a brand new 2010 for 19K (MSRP 24K) The asking price for the used that i want is $16,999. I can clearly see that the asking price is BS because for 2 more K i can buy a brand new 2010 or even 2011. My question is what would be the right offer for this car? I am willing to put $3,000 or $4,000 as a down payment, my understanding is that that is above normal.

I have been doing some research and i think i can get used 2010 (old design) Sonata that is a former fleet car at $12-$11 with 40+K miles on it, and by all account Sonata is better than Malibu, so is it stupid for me to expect to pay around 11K before taxes and registration for 2010 Used Malibu.

This is the car i am looking at, asking price is $16,999 as of this moment, any suggestions. Also keep in mind that i am open to other cars, Malibu is my 3rd choice behind used 2010 Mazda3 and used 2010 Sonata.

http://www.newrochellechevrolet.com/details/used-2010-Chevrolet-Malibu-LT-w1LT-N- ew-Rochelle-New-York-City-NY/1G1ZC5EB6AF129793/78698014
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Dealers tell me that GM auction prices for Malibus are high but won't tell me what they are going for at auction. I assume that it is around 13-14 for a 2009. The local dealer wants 16k for a used 2009 ( ex-rental car) with 34k miles on it. That is BS. I can buy a new 2011 for about 19,500 out the door. Granted it is a base model but it comes with all the normal equipment that one would want -cruise, auto, PW, PM etc. GM has reduced the rebate from $2500 to $2000 but you can get an AARP discount of $1000 plus a military discount or credit union discount of about $1000.

I think that it is FAR better to buy an LS Malibu new than mess with one that is practically out of warranty or IS out of warranty and driven at Avis or Alamo by 200 people or more. A program Cadillac is one thing. A Chevy is something else. If you want a used car buy one from a private owner and MAKE SURE that he IS a private owner not a curbstone dealer. Ask for maintenance details, etc. If he is a curbstoner he won't have them.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who recently traded in a Honda or Toyota for a Hyundai, Kia, Ford or Chevy. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 3, 2011 with your daytime contact information, the car models involved and a few words about your decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dsatterw8dsatterw8 Member Posts: 3
    So what are you all seeing from dealers for incentives on 2011 Malibu's. I'm looking for an LTZ.

Went through the AAA website and got three quotes from Cleveland (OH) dealers at 3,300 below invoice, which I think includes a 2,000 incentive and maybe 1,000 in factory to dealer incentives passed on to me.

Will be trying to push dealers lower before buying within next week or so. I'd like to get them to 4,000 below invoice including all incentives and such.

Woul like to know if anyone knows how low they will go?
  • actraveleractraveler Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    MSRP 2011 Malibu LTZ, 4 Cyl, Red ext, Cocoa/Cashmere Int
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE*: $27,015.00
    $325.00 RED JEWEL TINTCOAT
    $100.00 COMPACT SPARE TIRE
    (REPLACES TIRE SEALANT AND
    INFLATOR KIT)

TOTAL OPTIONS: $425.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS: $27,440.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE: $760.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE* : $28,200.00 MSRP

Went to www.lovemycreditunion.com and registered. Must be a credit union member of a participating credit union. Then went to the GM site it referred me to.

Once registered on the GM site, I was sent a pin to give to the dealer. The dealer asked for proof of my affiliation and once satisfied, pulled out the invoice and showed me the Credit Union price which is just below invoice (about $80).

The best part here is there was no negotiating. The price was fine, and the dealer can not add a dealer fee which in Southeast Florida ranges $599-$999. They are allowed to charge a $75 administrative fee and that's it.

My car had a dealer addendum sticker with a bunch of mark-up BS, but he was not allowed to charge me for them (Nitro Fill, Pinstripe, and door guards).

SO----
    GM Price---$27259 (non-negotiable)
    Admin fee $75
    -$2000 Rebate
    -$1000 Dealer Cash (Thanks Edmunds for letting me know to ask for his cash)
    +Taxes & Registration.

After a $2500 trade-in, with all taxes/fees/registration----->$23578.00

Picking it up this weekend and can't wait. First GM car purchase in 15 years. Hope they got better.
  • mwolve87mwolve87 Member Posts: 2
    In Chantilly, VA, at Pohanka Chevy, paid $23720 + $399 processing + tax/tags = $25003 out the door, for a:

2011 Malibu LTZ
    Red Tintcoat (extra cost paint)
    Sunroof
    Spare Tire Option

Actually got a lower email quote from Sterling Chevrolet a day after purchase, which was $200 less than this price.
  • mwolve87mwolve87 Member Posts: 2
    Actually, the "new" Malibu will be considered a 2013. Chevy will be selling 2012's with the "old" bodystyle until the 2013's arrive in early to mid Calendar Year 2012
    THIS DEAL WAS CANCELED THANKS TO THE NEXT ENTRY. STARTED PRICING SEARCH ALL OVER AND BEAT THIS PRICE BY $2000 AND A BETTER CAR.
    2011 Malibu LTZ, 4 Cyl, Red ext, Cocoa/Cashmere Int
    DEMO WITH 2243 MILES
    OPTIONS:
    SPARE TIRE (DONUT)
    SUNROOF
    RED TINTCOAT PAINT

TOTAL MSRP VEHICLE PRICE* : $29,010.00

$29010 STICKER
    $ 2000 GM REBATE
    $ 1000 DEALER CASH CONTRIBUTION
    $ 1000 GM PREFERRED CUSTOMER MAILING REBATE
    $ 1758 DEALER CONTRIBUTION
    $ 3500 TRADE IN
    +DEALER FEE/TAXES/REGISTRATION
    =$21367 OUT THE DOOR

VERU HAPPY. SAVED $2000 OVER OTHER DEAL AND GOT A SUNROOF THE OTHER CAR DID NOT HAVE.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview California residents who are currently considering a new Chevy sedan (Cruze, Malibu, Sonic) or who recently bought one. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, October 14, 2011 and indicate your city of residence, your daytime phone number, the Chevy sedan of interest and the car model you currently drive

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

local chevy dealer down here in pembroke pines fla is offering through their website 2012 chevy malibu ls for $18,000.00 from a msrp of $23,255.00.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter seeks to interview anyone who recently considered or bought a new Chevy Malibu. Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, September 14, 2012 if you are willing to share your thoughts on the car.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    no one has purchased a malibu in over a year??
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    edited June 2013
    Now that Chevy has unveiled the 2014 resdesigned Malibu, the 2013's show be going for sell than invoice, no?
  • pooya1pooya1 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a 2012 Shevy Malibu with 27000 miles on it. The extended warranty will cover the car for 72000 miles or 5 years and the price is 1600 (the basic stuff and tires). Should I get the warranty?
  • linnaeuslinnaeus Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2013 Malibu Eco 2SA. Its a nice looking car in the tricoat white with privacy glass and has leather and upgraded stereo. The only thing it doesn't have is navigation and a sunroof, which I don't care much for either.

It was a dealer demo w/ 1200 miles. I paid $20,900 and bought an extended warranty up to 100K for $900.

I looked around quite a bit and bought the eco based on the price of that particular vehicle. It was less than other base models from other dealerships I shopped.

I will say that one should get about 3K below MSRP. If you can get a member ID from USAA, that will save you another $750. The MSRP on the vehicle we purchased was $28,500.

It seems dealers are eager to sell the 2013's and good deals can be found.
  • mddj4mddj4 Member Posts: 8
    I recently tried to purchase a 2013 Chevy Malibu 2013, but I could not determine what is a fair price to pay. The dealers wanted to add a $699.00 to $999 dealer fee to the price quoted below. My questions are what is a fair price to pay and why did the dealer want to add an additional $399.00 to transfer the tag (I was trading in a car with up to date registration)?

Below are the price quotes from 3 different South Florida dealers through TRUCAR.
    The quote was for a 2013 Malibu with Rear Parking assist $295.00 and Protection Package $275.00. The MSRP is $23375 and the invoice is $22988.00. The current rebates are $2500 and $1000.00 additional rebate(ended 10/31/13)

Price quoted
    $19089
    $18488
    $19188

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Michael G,
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    Hello Michael,

The dealer fee is an additional profit point for the dealer. Some states have capped them by law ($80 in California, for example), but other states, like Florida, have not.

Generally, it's best to try to negotiate the price of the car to offset these fees, if you can.

Did the truecar price quotes take into consideration the $3500 of rebates that were available in October?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mddj4mddj4 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, the prices quoted included the the $3500.00 rebates.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    Which means the pre-rebate sales price quoted by Truecar are:

$22,589
    $21,988
    $22,688

All of which are under the $22,988 invoice price. What are the dealer fees associated with each of the above prices?

I think there is still some room to negotiate here - you should be able to get invoice MINUS the dealer fees as the sales price, if not a little bit better.

Keep us informed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4