Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• frenzytomfrenzytom Member Posts: 9
    This was my technique, it really boils down to sticking to your price and if you are not in the rush to get a car, making the dealer do all the legwork for you. I got the price for my vehicle without even stepping into any dealership (besides test driving the vehicles of course). I started by going to the Toyota website and plugging in your zip code. Make a 25-50 mile radius and start looking at the President Award dealers first and start emailing your best price and exact specs. Email and repeat. Once you have a ballpark on the range of prices, you can figure out what kind of deals are out there. Make sure you tell the dealers to fax/email you the exact spec of the vehicle you are looking for (VIN #s would help as well). Some of them will try to give you a good price and then ask you to come in and finish the deal or test drive. Try not to do that because they will try to sell you hard once you are in their home turf. Once you have in hand the best prices with your specs, go into details about fees and extras. At this point, go for some freebies and make sure to get everything in writing. You will begin to get a feeling of what kind of dealers you are dealing with. Make sure you have all your info and email/call the various dealers with the latest highest price and some will try to beat or match them...if not, move on and thank them for their time. Once you filter out all the prices and feel comfortable with the dealer, you can put a refundable deposit and wait. Good luck and let me know if you want to know anything else about my dealer experience.
  • swcoloradoswcolorado Member Posts: 9
    I too am looking for a V6 sport, 4 x 4, and it seems the ones without the moon-roof and fancy stereo are very hard to find, they have that one accessory package. So far, the best I've found is invoice + 5%.
  • eagle21eagle21 Member Posts: 26
    Hi.
    I was just reading about your trade. I also have a 2001 Honda Accord. Can I ask what was your mileage that they gave you 11,900? I'm just curious. I just hit the 80K mark and I am thinking to get the Limited V6 AWD too!!!

Allan ;)
    I don't know if this will help, but I'm looking to buy the V6 4X4 and got an estimate on trade in value for a 95 Accord with 98.000 miles, they would give me $2000. Snort. I'll keep it for my kids.
  • aollingaolling Member Posts: 9
    I have been offered $9600 for my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab with 91,000 on it. I am hoping to still get that trade in amount higher on a RAV4 Sport.

A question....Is the 6cyl. all that much better than the 4 cyl? I won't be towing anything heavy. I am thinking for the savings, I might be just as happy with the 4.
  • acatacat Member Posts: 1
    I have driven both. The V6 is very fast 0-60 in a bit over 6 seconds according to CR, but the 4 is plenty quick. The 4 I drove seemed to handle more nimbly,(the 4 cyl has a tighter turning circle too 37 ft vs 39) and stop more quickly. The gas mileage difference seems more noticeable in city driving. Unfortunately in Colorado you cannot find a dealer with a 4 cylinder Limited. You must order it in. :cry:
    I was about to close the deal on a V6 Sport 4X4 with the moonroof and stereo option with a dealer in California, and luckily asked to confirm that sales tax and registration could be done in Colorado. Not so, double checked with local Motor Vehicle Dept, by law all cars bought in Calif have to pay Calif sales tax and unless they are taken out of the state on the back of a truck, have to be registered there as well. 9.5% more.

So checked up in Denver, got the same price. For fun, I phoned up the Toyota dealer 70 miles away in Durango (who aren't on the web) and the guy has one just in and will match the Denver and California price. Tax and Tags is 4.9%.

I'm off to buy it.
  • wolfzr2wolfzr2 Member Posts: 20
    I sold my 2001 Accord to a friend of mine, I didn't trade it in. Sorry. :)
  • flyingbrick3flyingbrick3 Member Posts: 8
    Made the deal agreed on price of the car rav4,23085. Left a deposit on the car at which time they disclosed that when they brought the car in to do a final inspectin they found a scratch on the front bumper cover and would need a day to get it replaced that was Wed. and since I was waiting for my check from the Credit union that was fine. But now that my check is here I called them to pick up my car and they said it wasn't back yet, it was supposed to be back two days ago. Are they playing games with me and should I ask for some compensation?
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    flyingbrick3....I would probably give them a little more time if you are happy with the deal. If they are replacing a part, sometimes there are shipping delays if they have to order it. If it is a body shop item, sometimes they get a little behind, too. I don't see why they would have any reason to be playing games with you. They would rather have your money than sit on a car and pay interest on their loan, unless they are just plain stupid.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Has anyone had any experience with Grossinger Toyota in Chicago. They are advertising RAV4s for $400 below invoice. Maybe they have a weird way of figuring invoice.

http://www.grossingercitytoyota.com/new_specials.htm?bhcp=1
    msrp 25840,
    jbl stereo 890
    tonneau cover 140
    running lights 40
    moonroof 900
    towing prep 160
    mats 199 (snort)
    wheel locks 65
    delivery 645
    total, $28,879

I paid $27,799, pre tax and tags New Country Auto in Durango, CO. $299 is a prep charge the dealer threw in, but hey, beats driving to Denver or Albuquerque.

Love the car.
  • flyingbrick3flyingbrick3 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks evergreen. I did go back into the dealer today and they did send me home in a new car until mine is ready on Monday.
  • packrat4packrat4 Member Posts: 4
    Well ended up buying the V6 4wd Sport with tow package and every other option too. Ie: tube steps, upgraded stereo tow package VIP alarm.

Got the Flint Mica w/charcoal interior. Sure wish I could have gotten Sirius. Plan to have the toyota factory Navagation system installed from oemvalue.com along with Sirius. Bought from Homerfans salesman at Roger's Motors. Most pleasant experience.

Guess mine is in Portland and will be here much sooner than I think so I will have to get the Nav system ordered fast. I guess either the Eclipse or Pioneer D-3 are good alternatives.

Thanks again Homerfan.
  • homerfanhomerfan Member Posts: 27
    No thanks necessary, packrat!
    I just picked up SPOOKS, our new black v6 Limited yesterday, and discovered that John Ulmen is just as nice in person as he is on the phone. And, he was kind enough to let me know that if you (and anyone else who happens to buy from Rogers as a result of my recommendation) mention that Chuck Foster sent you, they'll actually pay me a referral fee! Kinda cool, since I am (obviously) happy to recommend John/Rogers Motors anyway.
    BTW, we ordered ours on January 16th, and were able to pick it up on March 2nd (45 days I think), so hopefully you're wait will be just as short. Congratulations!!
  • lawnmowerlawnmower Member Posts: 35
    Why is the invoice price on Edmunds different than the dealer? The vehicle I'm interested in has an MSRP of 29,540 and the invoice from Edmunds is 26,296 compared to 26,700 from dealer. Could this be legit. I want to know before I start to negotiate. Also this dealer wants 3% over invoice. Seems high to me especially for a AAA member. What should I pay over invoice?
  • kris2001kris2001 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Guys,
    Just got a great deal in a 07 rav4 ltd 4cyl 4wd with sunroof, 9spkr jbl, bluetooth, Z1 pkg. Paid $23800 + TTT.
    Did anyone get a better deal? Is this a good deal. If anyone needs one less than this too I might be able to refer. I am in PA.
    Enjoy...Ravrs!
    kris
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    Why is the invoice price on Edmunds different than the dealer?

The invoice price on Edmunds does not include advertising costs, which is why your dealer will show you a higher invoice price. Double check invoice price on your vehicle on CarsDirect and see if that matches up, because they usually include ad fees. That being said, you do not have to pay those. They are a cost of the dealer doing business, and it is horrible that they try to pass along the entire fee to you. (That's $404 PER VEHICLE in extra profit!)

What should I pay over invoice?

Okay, let's rephrase the question first. Invoice is irrelevant, as is your AAA member status. You would do well to offer them between a 3-5% profit over dealer COST. The formula for dealer cost is Invoice-holdback-any incentives (rebates to dealer or customer). Take that number and multiply by 1.03 for 3% profit, 1.04 for 4% profit, etc. That should be your offer. It's fair to you and the dealer. Decide what you want to pay before negotiating and DO NOT BUDGE! If they won't sell it to you for your price, leave and go elsewhere. I don't care how new or 'popular' a car is, a good dealer wants your business and will work hard to get it.

I hope my comments have been helpful. Good luck with your car purchase.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    so...is good assuming that edmunds invoice is the real dealer's invoice?
    holdbacks- how do I know how much that is to substract?
    thanks,
    Dan
    Hey Dan,

Like I said before, Edmunds is the real INVOICE price without dealer ad fees. Real dealer COST is found when you subtract holdback and rebates from the invoice. To find out holdback, go to edmunds' section on tips and advice, choose 'buying' and scroll down to the article about 'holdback'. Or do an internet search on 'Dealer Holdback' and you'll find it.

Currently, here's what Edmunds says about Toyota holdback.

2% of the Base MSRP (Amount may differ in Southern U.S.)

And remember everyone to offer the dealer a fair profit above their COST. It is fair for them to profit - they are a business and have families to feed, too! ;)
  • torodieseltorodiesel Member Posts: 16
    Actually, there is an additional 1% "wholesale financial reserve" of the base MSRP to the 2% holback that the dealers gets...making the total "hidden profit" 3% of the base sticker price.

Exception: In Georgia, Alabama, Florida, NC & SC the 2% holdback is of the total invoice price.
  • tom116tom116 Member Posts: 6
    I am in PA shopping for a RAV4. Can you tell me where you got that deal? Thanks.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    one more question, please:
    is the "destination charge" included in the dealer's real COST? I see Edmunds is including this charge in the "total" invoice/MSRP/TMV, when pricing a car.
    No doubts, dealers MUST have their share of profit when selling a car.
    Thanks again for your great tips.
    Dan
    Tom, Where in PA are you? Email me at kris2001@gmail.com
    and I will let you know. I am near malvern,pa...
    bye
  • miket2799miket2799 Member Posts: 1
    Hello - Can you please provide how much did you pay for 2007 Rav4 brand new? I am thinking of getting one but not sure what would be a good price.
    Simply scroll back through previous posts. It is all spelled out in detail for you by various posters. I has helped me immensly!
    is the "destination charge" included in the dealer's real COST? I see Edmunds is including this charge in the "total" invoice/MSRP/TMV, when pricing a car.

To put it simply, destination is a legitimate cost paid by the dealer to the factory and is paid by all consumers. It is listed separately on stickers by law.

So yes, unfortunately, we all have to pay that charge. Dealers don't profit on that.

BUT, when you figure out your offer (3-5% above dealer cost) do NOT include destination. Add it in after, then add tax, title and reg. fees.

Good luck to all! This is a tough process, but it can be fun.
    I can help anyone near S.Eastern PA. with new rav4s, great ,unbeatable deals.Email me at kris2001@gmail.com . I already did my research and got 2 vehicles.
  • pjackpjack Member Posts: 3
    I've started online and already have a price of $300 over invoice. If you want multiple quick bids, go to Toyota.com, design your RAV and email results to all local dealers that they provide. I've got four dealers contacting me and haven't left my couch. Toyota has even followed up with me to be sure I have a response.

Couple of tips from experience. Always bargain up from invoice price not down from MSRP. Always visit multiple dealerships and let them all know that you have or will visit others. Always walk out of the dealer WITHOUT buying on your first visit. They will call you back. If possible shop the last week of the month. Sales people and managers have quotas that they need to meet. If they are short in that month you can get an even better deal. Once you have reached a price you know is their best, now's the time to start asking for throw ins like free oil changes, free details, free all weather mats, etc. I once got a baseball cap, free key chains, and a mug. You never know unless you ask for it. I have never been refused at least some these. These cost dealers very little in expense, but can save you good money and they are more prone to give in here than more money off the price of the car. Lastly, NEVER tell them you will trade in your car until after you have agreed to a price for the new car. They WILL low ball your trade to make up for cheaper costs of the car. Check Edmunds, NADA, and Kelly Blue Book to get a good idea of what the car is worth and refuse unreasonable offers. DO NOT let them tell you they use Galves to assess trade ins as they are always 10-15% lower for trades than the others I mentioned. For best value it is almost always better to sell your current car yourself. Just a personal choice if you want to go through the hassle. If you are in a sales tax state, you should know that the value of the trade is taken off the sales price of the new car when assessing sales tax. It makes up much of the dollar difference in CT where we have a 6% sales tax. Oh last thing which may or may not apply depending on the popularity off the car. You can tell how long the car has been on the lot in two ways. First the invoice will tell you when the car was shipped and expected receive date. Second, if you take a few minutes to learn the VIN numbers of the car, you can tell which ones were made first. For the exact same model, the lower of the last 6 digits was made first. The longer the car sits on the lot the better the price you can get. Almost all dealers do NOT own the cars on the lot but finance them and pay interest monthly. The longer they sit, the more money they lose. Good luck in all your searches!
    Excellent tips! Thanks. This is why I love these forums. When you put all these tips together, no one should really get that bad of a deal. I would love to hear from a former automobile sales person. It would be interesting to hear "the deal" from their side of the fence.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Want to hear the other side?

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Let's hear it.....
    Thanks. Good reading!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    No problem.. We have a lot of good stuff, besides just Prices Paid..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ganglinggangling Member Posts: 6
    I got RAV4 V6 4W from CARMAX by $23338 plus tax&tag and $950 for 7yrs warranty this Monday. I tested V4 and than V6, abs. V6. It's running great.
  • devinudevinu Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Im looking for a Rav4 V6 Base with the third row and some dealers seem to suggest that such a vehicle is not made by toyota. But others have given me qoutes with stock nos etc. So is the first guy just trying to get me to buy something else he has in stock or the other guys 'fixing' the vehicles after the factory?
    Any inputs on this? Has anybody here got a Base V6 4WD with third row?
  • ganglinggangling Member Posts: 6
    I once considered that one now still at CARMAX with the third row, because I like that silver color. It is about $500 more than mine, but I don't need the third row. So I picked the blue one.
  • glenn386glenn386 Member Posts: 47
    The dealer that told you that you can't get a third row seat with a V6 is not telling you the truth. or he doesn't know his product.

I don't know were you live, but Maplewood Toyota in Maplewood, Minnesota has one in silver/grey in stock today.

glenn
  • th79ncth79nc Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I just read your posting on Edmunds. I am also in the Bay Area (CA). We just went into Fremont to test drive the exact model that we want but weren't ready to talk price.

I was wondering which dealership you bought it from. I think that'd help us out a lot. THanks!!!
    Wow! This forum is fantastic, lotsa great info. Im looking to buy a 07' Sport Model, 4x2, 4cl. Test drove a different models and this exactly what we wanted. I havnt really talked price yet w/ dealers (not looking forward). I had a bunch of questions, hopefully you guys can help me answer.

1. We have no use for a moonroof. Salesman told us all sport come with it (even though tag says moonroof is optional). He said it is impossible to find Sport version w/o moonroof. It adds an extra 900 to cost. Is it possible? Or am i better ordering custom.

2. If I decide to decide customize (to get one w/o options I dont want such as moonroof, Nav system already installed), are dealers still willing to negotiate (give me a good price) as opposed to just picking a car already on the lot?

3. Do you guys pay the advertising fee? WHat other fees should the buyer NOT pay for/negotiate down? I am in California (BAY AREA)

4. Is the dealer required/willing to show you their invoice price? I sat down w/ sales guy and asked to see dealer invoice so I can compare w/ Edmund's invoice. He refused to show me.

5. How flexible do I need to be w/ colors to get a good deal? Hopefully we can get our first choice since this is a new car for my wife.

6. I plan to go the internet route to request for quotes. Any tips/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, Ive already learned a lot from this forum. Ill try to hit up as many dealers as possible and will post MY deal. Many thanks!!!
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    1. We have no use for a moonroof. Salesman told us all sport come with it (even though tag says moonroof is optional). He said it is impossible to find Sport version w/o moonroof. It adds an extra 900 to cost. Is it possible? Or am i better ordering custom.

2. If I decide to decide customize (to get one w/o options I dont want such as moonroof, Nav system already installed), are dealers still willing to negotiate (give me a good price) as opposed to just picking a car already on the lot?

3. Do you guys pay the advertising fee? WHat other fees should the buyer NOT pay for/negotiate down? I am in California (BAY AREA)

4. Is the dealer required/willing to show you their invoice price? I sat down w/ sales guy and asked to see dealer invoice so I can compare w/ Edmund's invoice. He refused to show me.

5. How flexible do I need to be w/ colors to get a good deal? Hopefully we can get our first choice since this is a new car for my wife.

6. I plan to go the internet route to request for quotes. Any tips/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, Ive already learned a lot from this forum. Ill try to hit up as many dealers as possible and will post MY deal. Many thanks!!!

I'm no expert so I'm sure others will chime but heres my input:

1. Check buytoyota.com and put in your zip code to see configurations and if moonroofs are included in the sport trim for your area. Otherwise it should be an option.

2.Not sure.

3.Ask for an "Out The Door" price which is the final price you pay and they can add whatever fees they want as long as you are OK with the OTD price.

4.Not sure, but using Edmunds and consumer reports can be helpful to get the real invoice prices. I've read of salesman showing "faux" invoice pricing to customers in the past.
    Consumerreports.org can for a fee tell all the invoice pricing on car and accessories for that month. I think Edmunds has that service too.

5.Color flexibilty helps, but a dealer with good enough inventory should be able to get the color you want.

6.Just read as much as you can about smart car buying and good luck on buying your new vehicle.
    Don't get discouraged if you don't get replies from some dealers as you can always call for quotes too.
    Learn what you want and need, find what are decent prices for them, and stick too it.
    And don't get impatient!

Joe
    Called a few dealerships today and none the model I wanted.

Sport Model (4cl, 2wd) option A w/ DRL

Sales guys said they don't order that model so I would need to customize.

Was told it could take 3 months, other dealers said 6 months?

Im sure it varies but does it really take THAT LONG?

What IS the truth? Also, is price more negotiable if I custom order or buy one already on the lot. My reasoning is that for a custom order, the car isnt sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer so the dealers don't pay any interest on a car.
    Thats a better deal than what I got. I just started looking and got one quote internet manager. Most refused to give me a quote over.

What was your final invoice price? Were you able to negotiate down the TDA (advertising) and WFR and the other fees?
  • triciaprimakovtriciaprimakov Member Posts: 5
    Just a warning- you have to be VERY careful what you "order" for your car. I bought my 2007 in NY and went on the toyota.com website, looked what options packages were available for my region and supposedly had the car ordered with those options. I receive NO call from the dealer of any problems and was giddy-excited when I got the call my car was in.

Well, the 17' alum rims nor the 6-disc in dash CD player were on my car. The explanation I got from the dealer is even though the website says you can have the option AND YOU FACTORED THOSE OPTIONS INTO THE COST OF THE CAR, there is a chance you won't get your car with the options because your region might not offer them. SO make sure you badger your dealer to verify you can have those options before you purchase them!

I had my dealer promise me all of these and has only been able to deliver the rims by taking them off another car! We are still trying to find a resolution for the CD player because it is not offered in the NYC Metropolitan region! Toyota is quite a fickle little thing when it comes to options.
    I got my car for invoice $23775 with tourn. cover, roof rack, floor mats, tow prep package, cd changer, and 17 inch rims factored in- which came out to $8 over invoice, but read my most recent post (# 1429)- you have to be VERY careful about using the website to pick options and order your car! I have had SUCH a headache and it is STILL going on!
    Please read my nightmare post about ordering #1430! Try to have the dealer find you the car from another region or dealer. I was told it would take 8 - 12 weeks to get my car. Then again, my car came in so screwed up I'm convinced my dealer really didn't order the car, they just had it coming in and figured it was pretty close to what I wanted. Just be careful- have them verify they can get you the options listed on Toyota.com before you sign that check. Good luck!
    I was trying to get a 4x4 V6 Sport, wasn't picky on the color, and all they had was around were with the moon roof and the fancy stereo. That was all that was available in Colorado, AZ, S. Calif, and NM. One of the fleet salesmen told me that Toyota set up an assembly line with those kinds of options, and thats what was available. Later, they had a bunch come out without the moon roof but still the stereo. My understanding was that if you went to the actual dealer, and ordered the car with exactly what you want, and paid a deposit, then you would eventually get it. The website 'build your own' is a joke, and that the expression used by two of the internet guys at different dealerships.
  • romanomanuelromanomanuel Member Posts: 6
    PRICE: thousands below MSRP.

BUYING EXPERIENCE:
    Bought a RAV4 4cyl 4X4 yesterday w/ 3rd row seating at Parkway Toyota in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Paid below MSRP, and the best thing is that there is NO PRESSURE, feels like going to an appliance store and checking out the new HDTV. The salesperson was so cool and understanding that he will not try to smooth talk you, just tell you what you need to know, you have the feeling that its OK to leave if not interested. For warranty, no pressure actually I bought the $11/mo insurance because I felt guilty being so cheap.

I arrived here in the US last year and got robbed before by another dealer and if there are new immigrants here looking for a new car, email me (mr.jlsebastian @ gmail dot com) and I will refer you to the salesperson. Actually I don't think its the dealership that's the problem its the attitude of some salesperson so take care, being an immigrant starting from scratch, no credit history, no support system, I know the feeling. I was even considering Honda because of the bad experience but I was looking for something w/ 3rd row seat that is within my budget which is why I decided to stick w/ Toyota. I did some research on the car value; prepared for the worst when I visited the Parkway Toyota dealer, I did not bring any cash, because my plan is just look at the car closely and then walk away, however got a good deal that my wife really wanted to buy it, Now my wife says it was the best birthday gift she received and one of the best buying experience I had.
  • shekareeshekaree Member Posts: 6
    I will appreciate if you could tell us what price you paid and what options you got? etc. Thanks
  • romanomanuelromanomanuel Member Posts: 6
    I'm sure that price will be a case to case basis. The price might vary depending WHEN the deal will be signed. Don't wanna put the salesperson in a tight spot. All I can say is that their service is excellent. Do your research and just try to talk with Parkway Toyota people first in Englewood Cliffs, NJ before deciding where to buy your car.