Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ravshopperravshopper Member Posts: 2
    mmking31,

I'm looking to buy a Limited Rav4 and from what I've found, that is a pretty good deal (otd). Can you share the dealership you went to? I got a quote from a dealer that was $100 over invoice? of 24,284 (otd with 26,577), but it also included leather heated seats that I didn't want living in Cali. The dealer told me that they are coming pre-packaged like this on the limited??? but, since your quote was with cloth seats, I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought. thanks!
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    Bought a V6 Sport 4 X 4 with 6 disc cd, tow prep package, mudguards, for hundreds under invoice, I think it as $25,332 (+ sales tax, registration) at Boch Toyota in MA. I think this was like 4-500 under invoice.

Mike
  • terrytennisterrytennis Member Posts: 4
    I live in NJ and check 4 or 5 dealer from the Jersey area and was totally dissatisfied with them so I finally went to Manhattan Toyota and bought my car. The list price was $26,804 and I paid $26,840 on the road.(includes tax, license and registration). The sales tax for NJ is 7%. I believed I paid slightly below invoice. I got it for $24,700.
    It was a pleasure to deal with this dealer.
  • khunter1khunter1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks mike. Was it really only the JBl audio, mudguards and tow prep. Never saw that limited of an option set up. Specifics on options would be great. Lowest I have been offered was $25,650 tax and registration for Sport V6 4x4 with EJ, RL, TO, CD, Z1 options. That price includes $399 D&H.

Never seen a sport with out RL (Running lights) or CD (tonneau cover) options included.
  • respirarespira Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2007 RAV4 4 cylinder 2WD base
    Options and Packages:
    CD-Cargo Area Tonneau Cover with Multipurpose Cargo Net with Support Poles
    DR- Black Roof Rails & Crossbars
    FE- 50 State Emissions
    RL- Daytime Running Lights
    A0- The Extra Mile Option Package A:
    - Carpet Mat Set (5 pc)
    - Carpet Floor Mats
    - Rear Cargo Mat
    - Mud Guards
    - Rear Bumper Protector
    - Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
    - Cargo Net
    - First Aid Kit
    - Fabric Guard
    - Custom Tape Stripe
    - No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    - Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    - The Extra Mile Service Rewards Program (5 Yrs/60,000 Miles)
    P4- Vehicle Shield Package:
    - Lusterizing Sealant
    - Sound Shield
    - Sealant Cleaner
    - Rental Car Assistance
    Window Tint

MSRP: $23,443
    Paid: $21,311 + TTL

The dealer said I was getting it for $800 under invoice..I hope so because it sure took a whole lot of negotiating.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which dealership did you get the deal from?
    kunter,

The complete option list for the 4x4 V6 Sport was:

6 disc cd player (not the JBL)
    Daytime running lights
    Moonroof
    Tow prep package
    Carpet floor Mats/Cargo Mat
    Mudguards

Total paid was $25,034 + 298 dealer conveyance fee = $25,332 + registation fees and sales tax. The conveyance fee is crap, just call it $25,332! They can break it down and call it any term they want to "justify" it, but its really just an attempt to get back profit once the deal is "negotiated." My recall is that the invoice for yhis vehicle including destination was $25,700 and change.

Mike
  • ravshopperravshopper Member Posts: 2
    When negotiating and talking to a dealer in California, I was told that the 2008's are coming late August-September. I'm not vouching for the accuracy though!
  • respirarespira Member Posts: 2
    alamocity
    I bought my rav4 at the toyota dealership on camp bowie in Fort Worth, Tx.
  • khunter1khunter1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks sideous, again. wow that is a great price I'm $400 above that with no moonroof but with JBL and tonneau cover, cargo net junk. Had 2 dealers out of 8 I shopped bottom out on prices within $100 of each other so probably looking ok on price. Next lowest price was $750 Higher, so it pays to shop. Think I found a couple internet sales managers very eager to flip a car since they are the only ones who bargained much at all below $500 over invoice plus handling.

My price is $27,756 including $399 conveyance/D&H whatever plus tax and reg. Yeah they can call it 'losing money on this deal' and tack on conveyance all they want as long as the bottom line is right. Really looking forward to whatever bunk fees they try to tack on to the above on closing day. Told them I'd walk before I put up with even a small change. We'll see.
    Over the phone and internet negotiation DOES beat the heck out of visiting dealers! Much simpler.

Should close the deal Saturday. Good luck to me on that and others in their shopping process.
  • tigersfantigersfan Member Posts: 2
    First time poster. I read sidious6688's advice and emailed six dealers in SE Michigan and Toledo. One dealer didn't respond to two emails (Dunning Toyota/Ann Arbor) so that was one dealer off the list to visit. One dealer wanted me to drive the RAV4 at their dealership before offering a quote. I told them I wanted a quote before I would visit. They said they would have a bid to me by the end of the day - never happened (Victory Toyota/Canton), so they were off the list to visit. I dealt with Jim White Toyota/Toledo, Rouen Toyota/Maumee, Thayer Toyota/Monroe and LaFonatine/Dearborn. All of the RAV4 bids were pretty close but I went with Thayer Toyota who offered $21,752 on a RAV4 4-cylinder 4X4 listed at $23,752 (tonneau cover, roof rack, 17" styled wheels, and the Z1 preferred accessory package with cargo mats, cargo nets and a first aid kit)... that's only $200 over invoice, and about $600 lower than the TMV pricing listed on the Edmunds site. That dealer also provided the best value for my trade-in. I was very pleased with all four dealers and how responsive the salespeople were via email and in person. To me, doing bids via email cuts out a lot of wasted time trying to negotiate a deal.

In searching the dealer websites in SE Michigan, it seems that classic silver (my color), black, barcelona red, pacific blue and super white are the preferred colors... the dealers said the other colors are not proving popular in this area.

I have had the car for all of 48 hours and really like it so far. I have received many positive comments about the car and the color. I would highly recommend doing the initial bids via email as sidious6688 suggests. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well.
  • ravrideravride Member Posts: 1
    I spent at least a week securing bids from Northen California dealers. All bids were on the sport with the cargo net and mid level stereo,moon roof etc.. Longo : $27300. So. Cal. and the highest bid. Capital the lowest @ $25859.Costco bid Modesto Toyota $26409 Piercy: $.26414 Roseville Toyota : $26059. Elk Grove Toyota :$26316. Maita :$26288. San Francisco Toyota :$26188. These were non specified colors. I was after Flint mica and found one at S.F. Toyota and one at Maita. I'm more familiar with the Sacramento area and purchased the rav at Maita. No games and a smooth hassle free buying experience.
    If you don't have a specific color in mind you could do better than the $26288. Good luck and thanks to all for your info.I dealt with Dave Lundgaard internet fleet manager,great guy.
  • kst1kst1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi! I am looking for a base, 2wd, 4 cylinder RAV here in Central California. Here is a quote from a Fresno dealer- Internet price of 21118; Invoice- 20918. Installed options- cargo area tonneau cover/roof rack/17" steel wheels/carpet floor mats, cargo mat. The price includes destination charges. Looks like a decent quote. Would welcome any input from you guys?
    Thanks
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    As I recently found out, "invoice" doesn't mean the same thing to every Toyota dealer. To some, it includes their regional distributor's cut, in this case $365. (true invoice on this vehicle is $20553 according to Edmunds)

It may be that you talked to a lower-volume dealer who doesn't get the same breaks as the bigger players. If you have no particular attachment to this dealer, I'd shop around a little more before committing.

In any case, Edmunds' True Market Value price for your vehicle is anywhere between $21297 and $21443, depending on color.

Happy car-hunting :)
  • txtwintxtwin Member Posts: 3
    From what I can see, buying a Toyota in Florida is more of a hassle and more expensive due to the SET distributorship. First, they assume that Floridians don't want leather. And, they add on lots of extra fees, including redundant/unnecessary extras (rustproofing/scotchgard, etc.). I understand the after market leather is not that much more than "factory" and much better in quality -- just a hassle and delay in getting your vehicle complete. Any suggestion regarding getting a good price and eliminating some of the "automatically added" SET port extras? Any idea what the "premium" factor is for Florida vs. most of the country?

Right now, I am at final decisions between RAV-4 (probably the Limited 2/4) and the CR-V EX-L (simple with no "options" to worry about). It seems that configurations for Toyota's vary considerably in what you can get and not just pricing from region to region compared to other mfg. I must say, I was not impressed dealing with SET on my Camry a few years back.
  • mytoy3mytoy3 Member Posts: 5
    Bought a Limited 4WD V6 Pacific Blue RAV4 w/third row seat, moonroof, JBL package, towing package...etc..etc. The MSRP was around 29,500 and the invoice was around 27,300.

The 4 cylinders are easily going below invoice as some dealers have the internet price(below invoice) already posted on their website. If you want to get a V6 version below invoice, you'll have to do some negotiating especially one with the third row seating because there are not many out there.

Again, 2007 RAV4s are selling BELOW invoice. There must be some hidden dealer incentives or something hidden in those invoice prices. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    How do you know that the 4 cylinders are selling below invoice? Would you care to elaborate? Where are these dealers?
    Here's one dealership in my area:

http://www.millertoyota.com/Results.asp

I believe the deals will be much better starting the week of July 4th and after. The 08s are coming in late August, so you'll see discounts with the 07s.

Dealership don't post their price for the V6s and you'll have to come prepared to negotiate if you want it below invoice.

One way is to get as many internet quotes as you can. Don't be affraid to get quotes from dealers in neighboring states. You'll be surprise how competitive their prices are. As long as you have the different prices printed on paper, you can start your negotiation base on the lowest price(also saves time). If they don't have the car in stock, find a dealership that has one. Don't do orders!!! Good luck!
  • thrifty4greedythrifty4greedy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Could someone tell me what I should get from dealer prior going to dealership? I am trying to do everything by e-mail. But when we finally agree on the price, how I can protect myself - it is 2-hour drive to their dealership.

Thanks.
    Thrifty,

What you want is a bottom line price not including any dept of motor vehicles fees and sales tax. The price should include all options selected, destination fee, any bs conveyance fee etc. Everything but the 2 items listed above. Secondly, be certain with this in writing you have the VIN number of the vehicle. This way when you get to the dealership you can confirm on the window sticker (and inside the door jamb of the vehicle) that you have a match. The sticker will give you the exact configuration (4x4, v6 vs 4 cylinder, options, etc). This should match the VIN on whatever you have in writing from email. Then all you have to do is resist all attempts to sell you additional things like alarms, extended warranties, etc once you are physically present. The dealer may grumble about your lack of trust, but he can thank his industry.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    I'm looking in the Chicago area for a Base V6, preferably FWD but would take AWD, WITHOUT the third seat, and finding them very hard to come by. Is this always a rare configuration, or just now at the end of the model year?

Thanks
  • djc1959djc1959 Member Posts: 5
    Try The Indianapolis Toyota Dealers. Tom Wood Toyota or Beck Toyota they had several V6 Base And V6 Sport Rav4 in the area In the Configurations You would like.Might Be worth a drive. Beck toyotas is www.becktoyota.com
  • rav4seekerrav4seeker Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

First time poster here, and I would greatly appreciate some help:

I'm looking to buy a 2WD, 4 Cyl, Blizzard Pearl Rav4 with the following options in So. California:

-JBL Audio
    -Heated Seat
    -Leather Package
    -Carpet/Cargo Mat
    -Leather Seat
    -Heated seat
    -Sun Roof
    -Daytime running light
    -Special Color (Apparently Blizzard Pearl costs extra)

I visited a Toyota dealer in Cerritos yesterday, and the MSRP for this car was $27,339. I offered $25,100 (CR bottomline price + 3%). The dealer pulled out his invoice which showed his price @ ~$25,080, and was not willing to do the deal. (This was after the 3 asst mgrs talked and kept me there for 3 hours before they gave me the answer.)

My questions:
    1. Did I correctly derived the actual dealer cost? According to the CR price guide, the cost of the model + cost of the options - dealer holdback was $24,374. I wasn't sure why there was a difference of $706 in CR's dealer cost vs. the dealer invoice I saw yesterday...

2. Assuming the CR dealer cost I have was accurate, should I be more aggressive or less agressive with my offer? (I was offering the dealer a profit margin of 3%, ~$700)

Thanks a million
    Hi mmking31,

Which dealership did you visit in Southern CA? I've was NOT able to get a car similar to your configuration for this price in So CA. It would be a big help if you can let me know.

Thanks,
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    Read post number 1602.

The numbers will be different, but the final analysis is the same- your dealer probably does have extra fees that drive their price up to $25080 (before they get refunded their holdback), but that's no guarantee that another dealer reasonably close by will have to pay the same price to the regional distributor for the same vehicle.

Also, like it says in Edmunds' car buying advice articles, most dealers accept the fact that most people now have internet access and will come in knowing invoice price, but they're not fond of people who bring up holdback right away.

And like I told the other guy, Happy car-hunting. :)
  • txtwintxtwin Member Posts: 3
    SET adds on many additional things including, but not limited to rustproofing/paint sealent, scotchgarding (which I really don't want since I will be getting after market leather -- SET doesn't bring in leather to Florida). So -- I am looking for the Limited 2dr/4cyl. It is bad enough not being able to find an American vehicle with the features, price and quality -- having to pay for extras I don't want because SET thinks I need them....Grrr! May still end up with CR-V instead....
    We just bought a base 2WD, 4 cylinder RAV4 in silver for 21K + TTL in Fresno. Has the standard accessory package- tonneau, 17" steel wheels, carpet mats and roof rails. dealership was advertising a white one for 19997 but it was gone before we could get there. It was just tough to find one of the colors we wanted- silver/blue/green. Plenty of white and reds but didnt care for either. Overall, I am happy with this deal.
    Has anybody installed an after-market alarm on their RAV? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Hello All,

After much research in this forum, I bought a RAV4, Limited, 4CYL 2WD at Longo Toyota in So CA on Saturday.

-JBL Audio
    -Carpet/Cargo Mat
    -Leather Seat
    -Heated seat
    -Sun Roof
    -Daytime running light
    -Special Color
    -Alarm

I offered $25,100 + TTL, and came to the agreement of $25,300 (including the extra alarm option). The final OTD price was $27,689.

My observations:
    - The "dealer invoice" price at 2 dealerships were different for the exact same car. The Cerritos dealership had the invoice price of $25,080, and the Longo dealership had the invoice price of $25,200.
    - My buying experience was much better and smoother at the Longo dealership. I didn't have to re-start negotiation with 3 different "assistant sales managers" every time we concluded on a price as in my visit with the previous dealership.
    From my understanding, the "dealer invoice" price should be the same for "exact" same car in the same region. You have to compare the invoice sheets side by side to see the difference. Some dealers added mudguards or extra trimming to the exterior which slightly increases the invoice price. These are not the common options and are tagged as "dealers extras".
  • bluegopherbluegopher Member Posts: 2
    First some background, then a couple of questions.

I am looking to purchase a new 07 RAV4 Limited 4cyl, 2wd with moonroof option, and not much else (JBL 6CD changer seems to be default on all Limiteds in the NC area). I've solicited quotes by email from 6 or 8 dealers in the central North Carolina region with mixed. Of the responders, the quoted prices are less than hot. Most seem to be using the email contact to get my phone # (I've resisted) and get me into the showroom.

I am ready to place a counter offer, again by email, and am trying to determine actual invoice price upon which to base the offer to provide a low but realistic counter.

This is what I have:
    RAV4 Limited/4cyl/2WD (Inv: $21,464)
    Moonroof (Inv: $720)
    JBL 6CD Changer (Inv: $480)
    This totals $22,664, which is about $2000 below the offers I have in hand.

What else should I include in calculating invoice - Southeast Toyota ($639)? Manufacturer Deliv, Proc'g, and Handling fee ($695)? Dealer documentation fee (~$400)? Any other legitimate fees to be included in invoice price and offer?

Relative to calculated invoice, what do I offer to be low but realistic? At calculated invoice? Some percentage above or below invoice?

My intention is to have a fairly well justified offer, and to place the onus on the dealer to justify a higher price.

Thanks for all of the excellent information already in this forum, and any responses to my post are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    It will be very difficult to find a Limited without the JBL package. You should be able to get any '07s 4cyl @ below invoice during this time of year. It'll be difficult with the V6s, but possible with a lot of preparation and due to the fact that the '08s Highlanders, all V6s, are arriving at the end of the month.

Try getting quotes from dealerships as far as your neighboring states and bring those quotes to the negotiation table and crossout the source.

Dealers tend to be more reasonable and aggressive if they know you are serious, prepared and been shopping for a while.

Good Luck!

PS: Beware of dealers posting on these kinds of forum with BS price quotes.
  • whosumowhosumo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone recently purchased a V6 LTD or Sprt AWD Rav4 in the Twin Cities? Any dealership horror stories that I should be aware of? Thanks - whosumo
  • bluegopherbluegopher Member Posts: 2
    Mytoy3: all good advice, thanks.

As for calculating the invoice and offer price, do I include the SET (Southeast Toyota), manufacturer delivery charge, etc?

I assume yes for SET and delivery, but no for any other fees. Is this correct?

Thanks.
  • gotenjaigotenjai Member Posts: 5
    I'm having trouble with buying a Rav4. I've got quotes from two dealership for the same vehicle. one is $26,459 and the other one is 27,000 sumthing. Can someone tell me what is a good price to pay for this vehicle? the quote of the vehicle comes withs sun roof, 6 cd-changer and all them accessories. also i live around the sacramento area
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 28190.00 $ 24243.00 Total
    Accessories .....................: $ 1784.00 $ 1496.00 MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE3.3L V6 Engine w/VVT-i5-Speed ECT-i Auto Trans w/Snow ModeFull Time 4WD/4-Whl Ind SuspensionFront and Rear Stabilizer Bars4 Wheel Disc Brakes16 inch 5-Spoke Styled Steel Wheels withP225/70R16 Tires and Full-Size SpareSAFETYStar Safety System Includes: Veh Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBDDr & Fr Pass Advanced Frt Airbags (SRS)Dr & Fr Pass Seat Mounted Side/Fr & 2ndRow Roll-Sensing Side Curtain AirbagsTire Pressure Monitoring SystemFr Seatbelt Pretension & Force LimitersSide-Impact Door Beams2nd Row CRS lower & Top Tether AnchorsEXTERIORColor-Keyed Bumpers, Body Side Molding,Pwr Outside Mirrors, Dr Handles & GrilleFrt Var & Rr Intermittent Wipers/RoofRack/Flex Mast Antenna/Rr Privacy
    GlassCOMFORT AND CONVENIENCEAir Conditioner w/Clean Air FilterCloth Int, Multi-Adjust Frt CaptainsChairs w/Drvr Height Adjust60/40 Split 2nd Row Seat w/Fold Flat,Slide, Recline & Rt-Hand Walk-In FunctFold-Flat, Recline 3rd Row Seat w/RearHeating System & 2 Cup HoldersHeight-Adjust Headrests for All SeatsDeluxe AM/FM/Cass/CD w/6 SpeakersPower Windows and Door LocksCruise Control/Remote Keyless EntryTonneau Cover/Tilt Steering WheelAuto-Off Headlamps/Digital ClockCntr Console w/2 Adjustable Cup Hldrs2nd Row Center Armrest w/2 Adj CupHolders/2 Auxiliary 12V Power OutletsSilver Interior Trim
    Retail Dealer TotalVehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 28190.00 $ 24243.00 $ 28190.0050 State Emissions .........................8-Way Power Driver/4-Way Manual Pass ....... 410.00 328.00Tow Prep Package Includes: Transmission/ ... 160.00 128.00Power Steering / engine oil coolers, heavy .duty radiator, 160 watt fan coupling, ......trailer prewire, 130 amp alternator, .......3,500 pounds towing capacity ...............Value Package 6 Includes: 16" 6 Spoke High . 1015.00 914.00Gloss Alloys w/P225/70R16 Tires & Alloy ....Spare Wheel, Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof .....w/Sunshade, Rear Spoiler, Homelink .........Universal Transceiver, Fog
    Lamps, ..........Anti-Theft Engine Immobilizer, Color-Keyed .Mudguards, and Illuminated Vanity Mirrors ..Carpet/Cargo Mat Set ....................... 199.00 126.00 --------- --------- ---------Total Accessories ...........................: $ 1784.00 $ 1496.00 $ 1784.00Destination Charge ..........................: $ 645.00 $ 645.00TDA .........................................: $ 485.00Gasoline
    ....................................: $ 10.00Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 563.00Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 281.00 --------- ---------Total .......................................: $ 27723.00 $ 30619.00
  • sanssans Member Posts: 5
    I'm buying an '07 RAV4 in the Philly area, and have a couple quotes for the same '07 Pacific Blue Limited V6 4WD with JBL, sunroof, daytime running lights, and tow prep package. The MSRP is 28905, and according to Edmunds, invoice is 26137. There seems to be only one in this area that matches that description, and the dealership that has it gave me the best email quote--26447, 26047 after their college grad discount.

Does it sound like:
    1) This is a good offer?
    2) I should counter their offer?
    3) Things will get significantly better towards the end of the month?

Thanks!
    I heard back from the dealer, and it turns out that the college grad discount is really a recent college grad deal. In other words, one would have to have graduated within the last 2 years, finance through Toyota, and have perfect credit. Glad I asked.

Also, he mentioned that the quote is valid through the end of the month and he wouldn't expect it to be any different next month (I didn't ask about that). So that takes care of option 3.
  • zzzflazzzfla Member Posts: 4
    Check the price against Cars Direct.

I don't know when the 08's are coming out, but prices on any remainig 07's would have to be less.

Not sure what your personal situation is, but there isn't any reason not to counter with a lower offer...unless you have to purchase it by a certain time or you are afraid someone will buy it and you won't find another one.

Remember, whoever cares the least wins. I negotiated with my dealer for weeks before agreeing on the price. Best of luck and happy negotiating!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter would like to speak to owners who purchased a Honda or Toyota but didn’t consider purchasing a domestic vehicle (specifically Ford or GM vehicle). Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than July 24, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bluegill1bluegill1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I was offered a price of $25,000 "OUT THE DOOR" for this very setup and model including pinstripe and mats. That included tax, $118 fee, and SE toyota upcharge. This was at Clark's Toyota in Charlotte - ask for Freddy. The vehicle had been traded for and had 400 miles on it which may well have contributed to such a good price, but I think pricing guidelines as discussed in this forum are doable in NC. Stand firm.

Steve
  • annasmomannasmom Member Posts: 1
    Looking for good deal in Louisiana or nearby states on....

RAV4 Limited 2wd, V6
    leather
    tow prep
    daytime running lights
    mats
    aluminum running board
    ***NO moonroof or JBL stereo upgrade***

Toyota website....MSRP $27,775
    CR & Edmunds...INVOICE $25,500
    (both prices include $700 destination)

Hadn't found this vehicle in my area. All Limiteds are fully loaded with moonroof & JBL stereo upgrade.

Dealer #1 offered to intercept at port & config....
    says his invoice would be $26,300 &
    would sell to me for invoice + $500
    I decided to put him on hold until 6/30 when he returns from vacation since I'm in no rush & wanted to shop around.

Just checking around last night & found vehicle 40 miles from my home with exact config except....
    Dealer #2 RAV4 has "Vehicle Shield Package" $359 MSRP
    and missing "Aluminum Running Board" $450 MSRP

MSRP $27,649
    Dealer offered to add running board(according to him that is $700 extra!!!!)
    making MSRP $28,249
    offered to sell vehicle to me for $27,295

As soon as I mentioned that I had an offer for
    "invoice+$500", the salesman offered to beat it with
    "invoice+$300+$450 for running board".

I countered with
    "invoice - vehicle shield cost + running board + $300"
    or just
    "invoice - vehicle shield cost + $300" and I would get my own running board aftermarket

Now I get an email from a manager saying they can't take off the "vehicle shield package" so they are firm on invoice + 300 (no mention of running board). Or they are offering to look for another RAV4 same config without the Vehicle Shield Package.

Geeeewhiz!!! Here are my questions...

1. Where do these dealers get their invoice prices when EVERY website has lower invoice prices???

2. Is this really the best offer that I can expect with 2008 Highlanders arriving soon & 2008 RAV4 to follow?

3. What's the mark up on that Vehicle Shield Package? Can't find it online, but seems like pure profit to me & it makes me sick to think about paying for that. :sick:

Thanks for your patience if you got this far! :) Any help apprecitated.

Cheryl
  • stanguardstanguard Member Posts: 3
    I paid 25600 for the same vehicle w/o 4wd several months ago. I was satisfied with the deal. You can view my details in a post from the end of May.
    I ended up paying the 26447 on the Limited V6 4WD with sunroof, JBL, tow prep, cargo something (sorry, I didn't care too much about that one), XM, and daytime running lights. We realized that the only place they were going to budge was on my trade-in, so we got them to come up on the trade in price.

I'm glad I got quotes over the internet, because it made the experience more lucid. I could tell upfront who was going to be open and who was going to play games.
  • chuck12chuck12 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone found a Toyota dealership in the Dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex that is decent to work with and will give you a competitive OTD price on a 07 RAV4? I keep reading that they are clearing out the 07's.
    Also if anyone bought a base RAV4 recently in DFW what did you pay? I am looking for one with leather and not much else - MSRP is around $24,000. Thanks
  • maynnamaynna Member Posts: 3
    RAV4 Base 4WD 4A with AA DR RL TO CF
    MSRP $23,714
    invoice $21525
    TMV $22455
    quoteprice $21789 without tax and doc fee.

Is this a good deal? And I can apply $400 college rebate,but with my 760 credit score, they only gave
    me 7.00rate for 60month, I fell it is too high.The downpayment is $5000. How should I negotiate with finane consultant? What rate is reaonable? Thanks.
    I got 6.29 with credit score of 733...i'm from sacramento tho.
    and one more thing we bought a 2007 Rav4 4x4 V6 sports fully loaded (tow prep, moon roof, mats, 6cd/mp3 changer..everything but the jbl system) for $27,400 out the door. MSRP for the car was $28,199. So we paid just about 25,000 b4 tax and doc fees. is that a good deal?
    That rate seems a little high, but the way to tell is go to a website like bankrate.com and check the interest rates. The overall economy is going to dictate the range of interest rates; a great rate today might be 6.5%, in a year it might be 7.5%. I bought a RAV4 with nothing down and 6.65% for 60 months in May from Toyota, my credit score is somewhere around 740. Scores higher than this wont help with an auto loan, it should get you their best score. Fortunately, I've already re-financed with my vredit union for the ultra low rate of 5.25%. This rate is actually lower than the credit union should offer. Think of it this way, no matter how good a risk you are, you're stil a risk. If a bank can invest their money in a government backed security and earn 5.35%, you can't expect a bank to take a risk and not be rewarded. I'm not sure my credit union is asking enough interest, but I'll take it. For what its worth, even if you lowered your rate 1/2% or so, it wont save you a lot. The rate is already to low to make a lot of difference.
  • pure_hppure_hp Member Posts: 23
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Was able to purchase the vehicle at invoice at Atlanta Toyota! They had to do some searching but was able to find one close enough to what I wanted with all the necesary items. Thank you for your assistance, saved quite a bit of $$$!
  • jchan68jchan68 Member Posts: 10
    I've registered in few car sites and they claim will provide car quote. All they do was sending mails to dealers and wanting me to call them. When I do, they just want me to go in person. Is all the quote I've got has to go in person? There is one dealer in MA just give me verbal quote over the phone and not on the paper. Could I use that to bargain?

Any one has good deal on Rav4 4x4 V6 (sport/limited) with moonroof in Denver CO area? How much is the fair price in this area?

I'm a single parent with a 4 year old. So, it's difficult to go shop by shop... Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
    JC