Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• srvmsrvm Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone please help me with a link to accessories stores that sell all weather floor mats and cargo tray for RAV4 2008? I want to compare the prices against Toyota's original/OEM accessories before buying.

Thanks in advance.
    srvm
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I don't have a lot of experience.
    From the Tacoma Forum a couple years ago, I got www.toyotapart.com
    It's a dealership in Michigan. The prices beat the dealers around here by 20% at least. Some over that.
    Second, and this from the Forums, and car magazines;
    weathertech.com or mats.com
    The mats on this last site look real nice, and they cover more carpet/floor area than OEM.
  • pthnglpthngl Member Posts: 1
    Just to inform the deal from 'rav499'. I've just order a '08 RAV4 V6 2WD with these options: AW (alloy wheels), DR (roof rack), DJ (6 disc stereo), TO (tow prep), CD (tonneau cover), and RL (daytime running lights). OTD price is $949 over invoice (not including lic. & reg. fees). This is in Oregon and most dealerships will add a minimum of $500 over invoice. Your purchase price is a great deal.
  • intokkabireintokkabire Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an '08 V4 4WD last night with roof rack, daytime running lights, 17" wheels and 6 disk stereo. The car is in classic silver. The expected delivery is somewhere around 2nd/3rd week of October.

I got it for $100 over invoice and since i graduated last year from college i got the $400 for financing with toyota. I live in MA if your wondering.

I think i got a great deal... no? ;)
  • vakivaki Member Posts: 3
    Its before tax, title
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Try autoanything.com
    They have all kinds of all-season mats & cargo liner/tray.
  • webbewebbe Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Have a few questions maybe someone can answer.
    First of all today I went with my daughter who is wanting to buy a Rav4-she has specifics. She was wanting a 2007 4x4 6cl base. The thing is we had kind of of looked on the internet and could not locate that model at least in our area. She had talk to the dealer last week and they told her they could get it and in Black as she wanted. Though when we got there today they basically started the sales 101 and also informed her that they could probably not find the 2007 and she would be stupid not to get the 2008 since it was only about 1200 more. I did not realize this till later. Bottom line they offered her about 2400 for her civic and only came about 1000 off the 26,000 for the 2008. She has not yet got it because that was more than what she had planned and was considering the lease also. I won't even go into how discussed I was with their sales approach and we are in Louisville, Kentucky.

My question is should she not be able to get a 2007 for a lot less than the 2008-if it can be found? I don't think they wanted to look but rather sell a 2008. She had last week tried cars direct and they only had that dealer contact her (they are the biggest one in the city). I did find a Toyota site that you can go in and look up by state but you have to go on each individual dealers site and look. Is their not a site that you can put what you want and it comes up where it is. She would just as soon have the 2007 and needs to keep her payment down as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Webbee
  • aquintoaquinto Member Posts: 6
    Webbee:

You can key in your zip code on toyota.com to see dealers in your area - in my area (19038) about 30 or so come up and you can search most dealer websites for their inventory.

I just leased a 4wd 4 cylnder limted (see lease questions blog for post).

Anyway, a 2007 should be cheaper than a 2008 (in your post you say a 2008 was $1,200 more). I communicated with about 8 dealers via email. Best advice - if you find a dealer that has a car that you want - go to that dealer - they will give you a better price than someone who has to trade. We ended up driving an hour from our house to get the best price.

Good luck - and stick to your guns!
  • buyravbuyrav Member Posts: 1
    Dealer is offering RAV 4 Sport FWD 4 Cylinder , 600 dollars above Invoice . Invoice is 22900 Is this a good deal ?

It has these
    50-STATE EMISSIONS
    AM/FM STEREO W/6-DISC IN-DASH CHANGER -inc: 6 speakers
    DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
    REAR BUMPER APPLIQUE PPO
    V.I.P. RS3200 PLUS SECURITY SYSTEM PPO

There is a big difference between edmunds Invoice and Dealer invoice . Is that normal ?

What do you think of adding Leather to this from the dealer . How much should it cost adding leather package from the dealer
    Another question, on a paper that the dealer wrote up for my daughter(as she has not purchased the car yet but gave a $500 deposit so it could be ordered) she just noticed that they added the tax to top price. She was suppose to be putting down $3000 and that including her trade in came to $5,650 but the tax is showing $1580 and the tax here is 6%.
    The tax and license should be AFTER the down payment and trade in, right? Also this was just done today and they will not even try to order the car till Monday but suppose she wanted to back out of it and shop somewhere else, are the obligated to give her deposit back or would she have to stop payment on the check? I mean I know their is a 3 day period but since she actually hasn't gotten it yet but has wrote the deposit check, does this obligate her?
    Have another question to add to the above, is their a
    place that shows the MSRP and Invoice price for the 08 Rav4's?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Went to that link-are those prices right>
    Cause the one she is interested in says
    MSRP $24,535 Invoice $22,325
    This is for the 2008 RAV4 Base 6cl and 4x4.
    The dealer told her that the MSRP was 26000 something
    and and told her they would only come down to 25,500.
    This is without any add on's.
  • aquintoaquinto Member Posts: 6
    You have to add the destination charge of $685 to the MSRP and the invoice - The MSRP is 25,220 and the invoice is 23,010. The must of added additional equipment to get to the 26,000 something.
    On the Toyota Rav4 brochure :
    4x4 V6 5 speed auto Base $24,285.00
  • ferretferret Member Posts: 4
    What's the boston dealer? Are they still running Rav4s for 17,800? Seems...too good to be true...
    I'm still negotiating but wanted to see what others thought of the pricing so far.

Base 2007 Rav4
    2WD, 4cyl
    6disk CD Changer
    Roof Rack/Cross Bar
    Tonneau Cover
    Daytime Running Lights
    Mats

Base - 20038
    Out the door - 22051

Is that a good deal or can they do better?
    I'm also trading in a 2004 Chrysler sebring convertible - Trade in value at kbb.com is between 10,000 - 12,000 - does anyone have any advice on what they think the dealership will offer for it?
  • zz1900uszz1900us Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a RAV4 base, 3.5 L, 4WD of 2007 or 2008. It is difficult to get a quote in Kansas, always shown no dealer in this area somehow when I tried on the Internet. Has anyone bought the same model recently? Do you mind giving some suggestions on pricing and dealer information?

Also, it seems there are not much differences between 2007 and 2008 model, except some security alarm added in 2008. I am wondering whether it worth to buy a 2008 model. Thanks.
    Ok I just want to know if what the dealer is saying is correct.
    We are being told that the base model's can not be ordered.
    That too late for 2007 and the Toyota is only currently making so many 2008's and sending them to dealers-being told they have no way of knowing which they will get. They say they can order from other dealers within a certain range but that usually Toyota does not send just the base model's out to dealers even on the Limited.
    Reason is she was wanting either the 07 or 08 with a 6cl 4x4 and preferably in black. They say they have found one and it is a 08 but it is not the base price since they have added other options to it already.
    We were under the impression that a 2008 could be ordered as a base model and then add only what she wants but they are saying it cannot or that it would takes a long time even if it could be. I also went on Toyota.com and if you try to but in 6cl and base (though it says it on another page and edmunds) a prompt comes up and says must press limited.
    Has any one ordered the base 2008 yet and added their own options?

:shades:
    For example in BOCH Toyota sales ends 9/25
    EVERY New 2007 Rav4 save $4,000 off MSRP
    Sample MSRP 31,288

In Oct this is the special at BOCH
    Buy a brand new 2008 Highlander, "Toyota’s family friendly, 7 passenger, 4x4, Sport Utility Vehicle," for only 24,800!
    Stock # 91054, 90740, 22257 - MSRP: 30,597
    sales ends 10/31/07

The cheapest among dealers in Massachusetts. The other dealers hate BOCH.
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    I Maybe a little late on this one however, I added up all your numbers in this post and in a later post that mentioned your payoff. I got a total of $26,973 which includes the new car @ 25,600, the dealer fee $585, less the trade amount of $13,500 and adding tax and your payoff of $13,384. So from there you said they tacked on a warranty which you eventually declined on, I believe that was your $1,927 difference. You weren't ripped off at all if my math is correct.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    the extra's....I was ripped off and big time. I am 61 though and can only blame myself. The finance manager could not finance my son and had already delivered the van. Well, he called and actually begged that I cosign. I did so he promised me a terrfic deal if I ever wanted a Toyota. I went in with that mentality. I was wrong...a salesman is a salesman....I lowered my guard...that is my fault.

Jimmy Drew
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I haven't seen any VA sales posted yet...thought I would share my price.
    2008 RAV4 AWD V6 Limited 30,200.00

50 State Emissions
    JBL AM/FM 6 disc with 9 speakers and subwoofer
    Heated Seats
    Leather
    Daytime running lights
    Power Moonroof
    Towing Prep Package
    Accesory Package
    XM Satellite Radio
    Mudguards
    Chrome Exhust Tip
    Rear Bumper Applique
    Color...new for 08 Savannah ( Taupe)
  • limeyjaglimeyjag Member Posts: 3
    Dont talk to the local dealer in person up front, call the major toyota dealers in your state on the phone and ask for their internet sales manager and ask for a written quote for the 2007 RAV 4. Dont give them your phone number just your e-mail address.Use the excuse of not wanted junk calls

2007 will be cheaper than the 2008 but thye make more commision on the 2008 so dont belive them when they say they are the same price.

Get written quotes to your e mail (5 -6) (dont talk about color now) and then take the lowest quote into your local dealer and tell him that you are on your way to the big city to buy the car in the quote and you really would like to support the local dealer but $2000 is $2000 dollars................

normally they will come down dramatically...........

now talk about color and options and remember the costs on the options is normally only 70-80% cost to the dealer so he has wiggle room.

Do all this before discussions on trade ins etc

Good Luck
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    I am sure you've gotten some good responses by now, however you did mention that your daughter may be considering leasing the RAV-4. If she does you want to have a lease numbers ran ahead of time on a 2007 and a 2008 before you decide. The newer models tend to lease bettter.
  • anacatanacat Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We ordered a new 2008 Rav4 from a local dealer in NJ, we were told it would be a custom build which would 6-8 wks to deliver. Then we got a call yesterday that what we want is not available in this area, they want us to sign a waiver saying we'll take the car even though it will now take 3-4 months for delivery (or loose the deposit)

Does that sound right? 3-4 months for delivery?

If it helps any - we ordered a 2008 Limited Rav4, 4x4, third row, 6 disc changer, remote starter, sunroof. My husband negotiated this waay below MSRP even when considering options (he used consumer report's info).
    (BTW, they told us that the Limited was not available in 2x4 in our region, so we had to get the 4x4)
    -Ana
  • cartoonphdcartoonphd Member Posts: 7
    First of all, I would like to thank all the participants in this forum. All your postings help me a lot in my whole car buying process. Here are the options installed in the car:

50 State Emissions
    Daytime Running Lights
    JBL In-Dash 6-CD Premium Audio
    Leather Seat Package
    Moonroof
    Mudguards (PIO)
    Rear Bumper Applique (PIO)
    Seat Heater
    Towing package
    Floor and Trunk Mats (added myself for $130)

MSRP: $30759
    Paid: $28070 (include the mats)
    MD Tax: $1403.5
    Tag: $210
    Processing Fee: $100
    OTD: $29783.5

Exterior color is Everglade Metallic and Interior color is Taupe. I almost got an Ash interior from another local dealer for the same price. Fortunately, before I placed deposit, I checked Darcars.com website and found the vechicle. I called them right away and they were willing to match the price of the other dealer.

Just wanna share with others who are looking for the same car. Rav4 Limited V6 AWD is still in very high demand. Pacific Blue and Everglade Metallic are both hard to find at this point. They get sold fast. So if you can find one, go ahead and get it right away.

One more thing. I called multiple local dealers and all of them claimed they could check all the vechicles coming to the DC Metro area from the computer. Nobody could find the car that I wanted. When I called Darcars yesterday, the salesperson told me he has the car coming in today. So it seems to me that it is not reliable to depend on dealers to look at the allocation from the computers.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Toyota RAV4 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.
  • ppf1ppf1 Member Posts: 1
    I think You ARE. Cong. Probably your state doesn't collect tax or collect little tax?

Just got a similar 2007 base V4 4wd Rav4 with moonroof. The moonroof comes with it, thought I am not really a fan of it.

Other add-on options are

Roof rack
    floor mat /cargo mat/ first aid kit
    17" steel wheel
    Tonneau cover

OTD price for me is 23700 including 400 college cash, the invoice price is around 22300 including destination. The amount I paid is ~100 over if the price were set at the invoice price recommended by edmunds.

Any adjustment on the purchase? I could have done better but was tired of bargaining.
  • hphamhpham Member Posts: 2
    Got quote from Fred Haas.

• Multipurpose Cargo Net With Support Poles$140
    • Black Roof Rails And Crossbars $220
    • Daytime Running Lights $40
    • Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. $160
    • Permavin/Glass Etch And Limited Warranty $199

MSRP $24,600
    Invoice $23,425
    Tax $1,600
    Fee $249
    O.T.D. $25,329

Is this a good deal ?
  • hphamhpham Member Posts: 2
    Got quote from Fred Haas.

• Multipurpose Cargo Net With Support Poles$140
    • Black Roof Rails And Crossbars $220
    • Daytime Running Lights $40
    • Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. $160
    • Permavin/Glass Etch And Limited Warranty $199

Invoice $23,425
    Tax $1,600
    Fee $249
    O.T.D. $25,329

Is this a good deal ?
  • vispkvispk Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

The quote looks good. I am also interested in RAV4.

Need to know what is the fuel consumption of
    2.4L I4 vs 3.5L V6

Please help.

I am thinking to buy 2.4L if the fuel consumption is good. Alternatively I am thiking Nissan Rogue! any comments?\
  • joemorenajoemorena Member Posts: 4
    Had a terrible experience with Westbury Toyota, Long Island, NY. Stay away from them for sure. They lack the basic etiquette and skills to keep you comfortable while you are considering a purchase. Besides, you can get way better prices elsewhere. This dealership needs a serious change in staff.

Dick Milham Toyota, although their prices are slightly above the lowest price is excellent. They will not try to force you into a sale like Westbury, they will not make you uncomfortable or resentful. Although I picked my car up from Atlantic Toyota, I still must commend Dick Milham Toyota on how they deal with their customers, especially the manager there.
  • tsteele93tsteele93 Member Posts: 18
    Regarding "I live in South Carolina and I am leaning towards the Rav4 over the CRV. Now, in SC, there is what is called "SET administration fees". It is added to the price and it is about $600. This is not a dealer fee, it is a Toyota fee. You thus still have to pay the normal dealer fees and taxes. The "SET administration fees" appears on a Toyota model when it iis time to choose the options on edmunds.com. "

Kyfdx writes:

"It is what it is... I wouldn't focus on the $600.. "

??? You've gotta be kidding. The person who wrote this lives in SC. Depending on WHERE in SC, they very likely could be less than an hour's drive from NC or TN. All it would take is a few phone calls or e-mails to save the $600.

How absurd is it in this day and age where information is freely shared and distances of a hundred miles or so are no hassle at all to just eat $600 on a deal because of some archaic Toyota system?

Just another reason for me to go back to Honda!
  • woodno9woodno9 Member Posts: 5
    2008 4 cylinder sport 4X4 Sunroof, mats, and Tonneau cover

$24K + TTL. Is that a good deal? Thanks!
  • mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    4x4 V6 Limited
    JBL CD changer
    Daytime running lights
    Heated seats
    Leather seats
    Moonroof
    Tow prep package. MSRP $30585

Dealer wants $28803 and probably before tax, licence & other bs fees.
  • richfanrichfan Member Posts: 1
    I was interested in RAV4 4WD V6 and asked for a local dealer for it. He said they didn't have it in stock and would trade one for me. I signed a form and gave him my credit card number. However, he could not find after a week. THEN we agreed to move on RAV 2WD V6 and he told me he would get one in stock from another dealer as early as tomorrow. However, I decided not to take this car this afternoon. I told the dealer, who first said that there should not be any charge and then said he would discuss with the sale manager. Because the car will be shipped from other dealer and there may be a shipping charge. I think I told him before he got the car in and there should not be any shippong charge. Even if there is, it should NOT be mine because this should be the business risk of the dealer.

What shall I do if they charge me tomorrow.

Thanks
    Since you are using a credit card, you can always cancel the payment with your credit card company. I hope you signed something with the dealer upfront showing you could withdraw the order anytime.
    I am not sure which area you are living. But in the East Coast, there are more and more 08 Rav4 selling close to Toyota's invoice (not Edmunds invoice).
    When I was shopping for my car, several dealers were also trying to do a dealer swap to get the car I want since at that time, availability was limited. However, you should not be charged for anything. All dealers in my area are willing to do without extra charge, since I would have already paid the toll since the car would have more miles on it. Yes, they have to drive the car from the other dealer.
    I would say move on to another dealer. This dealer doesn't look honest to me. They should be able to give you an idea the inventory situation of other dealerships from the computer, though not 100% accurate.
  • lewiscalewisca Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I'd share. I just took delivery on a brand new, gorgeous 2008 Rav4 Limited V6 4WD in Blizzard Pearl with the following:

Mud Guards
    Tonneau Cover
    Daytime Running Lights
    Tow Prep Package
    Leather Seats
    Heated Seats
    Upgraded JBL sound system (with subwoofer, amp, and steering wheel controls)
    Moonroof
    Carpet Mats
    Rear Bumper Applique

MSRP: $31,200
    Invoice: $28,790

I PAID $27,235 after my $400 COLLEGE GRADUATE DISCOUNT before TTL.

Did I get a decent deal?
    Was suppose to get one of the Rav4 that was in "port", it was exactly what my
    daughter was looking for-they told her it would be available in 14 days but when she went out to the dealerships and settled on a price they then told her it was gone.
    That another dealership had sold it and it was going to them.
    She was then told about 2 week ago that it could be ordered but it might be 4 to 6 weeks. (She is wanting the Black 6cl 4x4). The thing is they did not require a deposit just told her they had preferenced it. But she has still not heard anything from them. I guy at another dealership that I emailed (didn't tell him about the 1st one) says he can order it and have it in 10 days.
    The second dealership is in a busier area but don't know if he is just trying to get us there.
    Is their a difference in the area or dealership on how fast they can get them?
    Does 4 to 6 weeks not sound like a long time
  • akrsakrs Member Posts: 1
    Not a good negotiator, want to surprise our son who'll be leaving for college. We are in Fremont, California. Safety, low fuel consumption, good power and reliability is the most consideration in buying decision. Thinking of RAV Limited with the following options:

Rear Seat Entertainment
    Moonroof
    Third Row Seat
    EJ JBL AM/FM 6 CD
    Heated Seat
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set

While pricing in edmunds it's coming up as
    MSRP:31,939
    Invoice: 28,429
    TMV: 31,850

What should be the best price?
    How should I negotiate for the best price?
    Are we choosing the right vehicle?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • lewiscalewisca Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I'd share. I just took delivery on a brand new, gorgeous 2008 Rav4 Limited V6 4WD in Blizzard Pearl with the following:

Mud Guards
    Tonneau Cover
    Daytime Running Lights
    Tow Prep Package
    Leather Seats
    Heated Seats
    Upgraded JBL sound system (with subwoofer, amp, and steering wheel controls)
    Moonroof
    Carpet Mats
    Rear Bumper Applique

MSRP: $31,200
    Invoice: $28,790

I PAID $27,235 after my $400 COLLEGE GRADUATE DISCOUNT before TTL.

Did I get a decent deal?
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Sounds like a fantastic deal to me lewisca. If I can get a similar deal I'll be driving a Rav4 soon myself. That Blizzard Pearl looks great too.

I'm going to head to Toyota next week to check them out along with the Highlanders.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey...congrats to you on your new RAV4 purchase! I got the same model you did except I have the Savannah Color which I think looks sharp also.
    It looks like you got a great deal. I have everything you mentioned... only difference is I have the XM radio and exhust tip.
    Total Delivered price was 31,554.00. I paid 30,300.00 out the door.

Hope you love it as much as I do....
    Ronn
  • ted_rav4ted_rav4 Member Posts: 5
    I'm shopping for a RAV4 in Northern VA area. Here is the spec.

Base, 4cyl, 4x2 - MSRP $21,100
    Roof rails & crossbars - $220
    17" 5-spoke styled steel wheels - $120
    Daytime running lights - $40
    50/50 split 3rd row seat - $950
    Destination charge - $685
    The total MSRP is $23,115.

The dealer quoted me $20,500 plus all the fees on the spot without any negotiation. I don't know the invoice price. Is it a good deal or there's still lots of room? Should I wait util before Christmas when dealers are willing to make a deal before year end?

Thank you for taking time to look at this.
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    That's the ticket to make a Rav4 the best selling vehicle in the US. They've got the technology. I want it now..
  • ljs8ljs8 Member Posts: 1
    I think it is.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/toyota/rav4/100920101/optionsresults.html?action- =2

What dealer was this from? I live near there and buying very similar, except 4WD since i"m in southwest (Pittsburgh) PA (Snow and Rain). If I can get a quote, I can use it against the guys here.
  • ted_rav4ted_rav4 Member Posts: 5
    The dealer is Koons at Tyson's Corner, VA. Hope it helps. Please let me know how it goes.
    I think you should go ahead and take it. I don't think you can really beat that price in the DC Metro area.