Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• santobonisantoboni Member Posts: 6
    I am shopping for the identical car and live in DC. Just got a call from Koons at Tyson's Corner who told me there was no way they could give me the same for $20,500. In fact their starting price (no haggle price that I managed to knock $1000 off of in 5 minutes) was over $22,000. Did you end up buying at $20,500?
  • cartoonphdcartoonphd Member Posts: 7
    That's why I am suggesting ted_rav4 to go ahead and take it. If you look at fitzmall.com (one of the best no haggle dealer in the DC metro area in my opinion) has a much higher price and invoice.

If you look at fitzmall's invoice, you will notice it is higher than the Edmunds's invoice. It is because Edmund's invoice doesn't include the advertising fee. ted_rav4's quote is even lower than Edmund's invoice. Meaning the quote doesn't include the dealer's holdback. Well, to make a long story short, Edmund's invoice include dealer's holdback for Toyota vehicles. Yes, I know it is ridiculous to have dealer's holdback in the invoice, but thats how Toyota pricing system works. When I got my Rav4 a month ago, I got the pricing printout from 2 different dealers. Both had the holdback as their "factory invoice". Dealers don't negotiate that (I have tried Costco as well)

Anyway, this means that ted_rav4 actually has a very very good quote. My experience with Koon is not that great (others have better experience). Hope he can get it.
  • w33zyw33zy Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if Im getting a good deal. Its for an 08 RAV4 V6 4x4...
    its on order but should include the following:
    - daytime running lights
    - tow package
    - roof rack
    - the poles w/ net thing
    The quote is 24,200 OTD, is this a good deal?
  • webbewebbe Member Posts: 15
    Just curious, how long did they tell you it would be before you got it. That
    is about the same as my daughter has ordered and about the same price
    but they told her 4 to 6 weeks. Long story as to reason why so long such
    as they have to preference it to their lot from Toyota since their is not one
    like that within a 5 state range. We are in Kentucky.
  • w33zyw33zy Member Posts: 2
    they told me about 6-8 weeks. So I have to wait quite a while.
  • andypaiandypai Member Posts: 8
    Hope I can get such a great deal.

the invoice is $21,267 includes the $685 destination charge, so the price is almost $800 below invoice.

BTW, can anybody help me: when people here talk about the invoice price, do they include the destination charge?
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I was hoping for an informed comment on how I'm planning to tackle my next car purchase. I'd like to keep it simple and here is how I see it:

1, I want the new vehicle for invoice. Invoice +$200.00 is my limit.

2. Out the door price is Invoice (+200 if I have to) and tax, title and license. Period.

3. I am also trading in a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe. Edmunds calculates this car in "clean" condition at 20.5k, in "average" condition at 18.2k. I'd put it in between those two based on some scuffs and scratches, so 19.5k is my price on the trade in. Minimum of 19k.

As I see it they will not only make money on my trade in, but if I do buy from them they get my business on any work done on the car as well. Not to mention financing if I go through them. Is this reasonable? Should I shoot for better?

Thanks in advance.
  • webb_vbb1webb_vbb1 Member Posts: 11
    I am quoted an internet price of 21,200 for Base 4x4 4 Cyl. with the following options. (in MA)

Base, 4cyl, 4x4 - MSRP $21,200
    Includes following option.
    Roof rails & crossbars
    17" 5-spoke styled steel wheels
    Wheel Locks -
    Daytime running lights
    Carpet Floor Mats

State Taxes, Title and registration extra.

Is this a an OK price?
  • earlyagesearlyages Member Posts: 6
    Want to buy 2008 RAV 4 Base model 4 cyl.
    Factory invoice is $21,100.

Dealer will sell out the door price $22.000. is this a good price.?

Can someone tell me if the Toyota has better deals due to rebates in Dec?
    Are you referring to the 4WD or FWD? The FWD would cost close to $ 20.5K and the 4x4 for $ 21.2K
    thanks.

So I should bargain some more.
    You say the out the door price you say is 21.2K?
  • jchan68jchan68 Member Posts: 10
    I think it's a good price. Do you mind sharing the dealer's info?
  • ted_rav4ted_rav4 Member Posts: 5
    Actually, it was an oral quote and I don't have something written down. I have been looking at Kia Rondo, which also has 3rd row seat and is $3k-4k less. I was so into buying a RAV4, but after test-driving the Rondo, I found it also very well built and felt good. Anybody has any comments on RAV4 vs. Rondo?

Anyway, the dealer is Koons Toyota at Tyson's corner.
    IRA Toyota in Danvers - Entire deal was discussed and finalized over the e-mail and phone.
  • ellayellay Member Posts: 15
    Hi. My first post...I've decided this is the vehicle I want to buy (with a few options not listed on the Edmunds workpage--remote start for example) and am dreading the process. I've read about the geat deals you guys have gotten; yet when I look at Edmunds Tm price, it's within $50 of MSRP? I've looked at these numbers for a couple trims and the TMV price is nearly the same as MSRP. I can't go into a dealership "armed" with the MSRP. Have I misunderstood what this number means? I read it was "what this model is selling for in your area". Anybody had good experience with this model in the Louisville area?
    Hi,
    Yes we live in Louisville, Ky and been helping my daughter with her purchase
    and it is all just just a hassle. I have bought before but forgot how much I dislike
    dealing with these sales people.
    The prices she has been quoted is not bad but the run around on getting it.
    Don't know if there telling the truth or just want to sell her higher priced ones.
    Dealers will tell you something to get you there and in the process and then
    have some excuse. I am also going through the process only on a different make.
    She has waited about 6 weeks and still no Rav4. She has been told that Toyota
    only builds so many Base ones and even if the dealer preferences it there (to their lot) their is no guarantee they will get it or when. Seems they make mostly the sport and limited. Some of this is due to the fact that it is not yet 2008 but mostly to try to get the sales person to sell the higher priced ones (sport and limited). As according to one of the dealers Toyota has taken a more conservative approach by not building the base ones.
    My daughter has decided to go ahead with the sport since he agreed to it for about
    $1000 more and has what she wants with a few extras but even then it is coming from one of the surrounding states if he can as she is wanting the black 4x4 6 cl. This was decided as of yesterday.
    The whole process is just such a unnecessary pain.
    He has quoted her $26,000 for the sport.

Webb
    Thanx for confirming what I'm getting myself into. How does her price quote compare to the sticker price? If you were starting the process all over, where would you start? Did you do the internet quote thing or just start hitting dealerships? Do you mind telling me which dealership was the lesser of the evils? I'm ready to buy the RAV4 and you're right...the whole process just turns me off and I've kept this car another year just to avoid that.
    The sticker price on the sport she hopes to get is 28,400 and the quote is 26,400.
    The base she was going to get was $26,500 for the sticker and quote of $24,500. Both had quite a bit but obviously the sport has more, moon roof and ect. The base I though was actually the better deal as it also had extra options installed including tow package and alot. But as I have said pain getting it and then told her it was sold.
    The dealers we have dealt with is Oxmore and Swope in e-town.
    E-town has been better but not sure even if they are on the up and up but is
    the one she is dealing with now. On Oxmore they were horrible. Could just be
    the sales person we dealt with. Just non professional and added fee's on without telling her then did not want to give her deposit back-but ended up doing so after I complained.
    What I would do is do as much by email as you can. Have them send you the print out on the car you want and then negotiate the price-just make sure the car is actually on the lot. If they say it is not but can it within so many days then have them write that on the deposit that you can get your deposit back if not received by then. As I said earlier the main problem we have had is they say yes they can get it there in 10 days but then cannot. It is true that she was specific on what she wanted (black, 4x4 6cl and tow package) but they should just say up front how long it actually takes. If you don't want specifics then you might not have that much of a problem.
    It is just that most of car sells people's tactics are obnoxious (though some seem nice at first) and I say this as a person that sold Real Estate for more than 10 years
    dealt with many but have yet to see a car salesperson that wouldn't put most R.E. agents to shame in that area. I hate to bad mouth them and I keep telling myself that it far and few but so far that has not been the case. I am now also talking about my own experience as I am also negotiating my own car purchase and dealing with both has been a bit much.
    The guy in e town seems nice enough and if he gets this car and it goes through ok I will post back and let you know.
    One other thing if it was me and I didn't want the Rav4 right away (if your getting the 2008), I would maybe wait as long as you could or at least closer till January.
    Unless their is one on the lot that you want, as a lot of the problems she had was getting the suv there. I think they (Toyota) knows if you order ahead that you are anxious to buy and would prefer not to sell the base and let one choose their own options. Money and more convenience for them.
    Sorry so long-venting.

Webb
    Hey, Thanks Webb, for the insight. It's really helpful to me hearing your experience because I'm sorta stuck since I set my heart on the RAV4 before I knew what a pain it would be to get one. I think I'll spend the next two weeks online with dealers-Round1. In the meantime I'll visit the dealerships (I live in the Knobs so I'll hit GreenTree and L'ville both) to look at colors I could live with (like your daughter, I'd really like Black in the Base 6cyl, but have been looking at the 4X2 since I won't be towing and all of them have the traction and stability features that apparently make the AWD less a factor). I had to drive to Greenwood, IN to get my last car, so I'm not afraid to expand my search...will also check out E'town.
    Then about Mid Dec I'll start making offers and get the best price and the best in-writing delivery date (that's good advice-waiting a bit). Keep me posted on your progress--this helps a lot.
    El
  • karlytrkarlytr Member Posts: 6
    Purchased: Brand new Classic Silver 2007 ("leftover") Rav4 LTD 4 cylinder 4x4...heated leather power seats, moonroof, Bluetooth, 6-CD JBL/MP3 stereo, satellite radio compatible, cargo mat, 2 cargo nets (one on poles), etc. (fully loaded, in general), dealer-added door edge guards, wheel-opening moldings, pinstriping

Place: Large dealership in Central NJ

Sticker price total (MSRP): $29,467

Price I paid: $25,678

The final selling price did not include the additional $500 I insisted they give me on my trade, to get closer to the $25,000 that I wanted to spend.

How I did it: I walked in letting them know that I did not need a new vehicle, that I did not want to be fed their typical BS that they try on everyone that walks in the place, that I knew their dealer invoice price for the vehicle, how much their dealer holdback was (2% of base MSRP), I pointed out other money they were making that is not general public knowledge, I mentioned the money they were losing by having the '07's sit for so long (a little research goes a long way), and I didn't back down against their fast-talking managers, or allow myself to be "worn down" (a typical tactic they use). The negotiations went on for almost a week, but the end result was worth it. My husband calls me a pitbull, and the people in the dealership offered me a job! :)

I ended up with the price I wanted for my trade, a more than reasonable vehicle sales price (the accountant told me "Trust me...they lost money on your deal), and the finance rate that I requested (I refused to go over 6% for 60 mos.).

Now I hope the Rav treats me right! ;)
    Your RAV4 sounds great. Did you use a combination of resources to get the invoice price of the car and its features? When using Edmunds, you can't get the invoice price of many accessories, and how do you know what the hidden profit is? Like the holdbacks. Also, I hear these stories about feeling like you've finally gotten the price you want, only to find the dealer has stuck on some paperwork fee. Did you pay $4K under sticker price, and the only thing that has to be added on is sales tax, transfer fee? Man, I'd be happy to come out of the process like that.
    El
    To better negotiate prices - or atleast where to begin your starting point for negotiations, I would recommend everyone to subscribe to the consumer reports new card buying guide for 3 months if you plan to buy within the three months.

It gives the dealers Invoice with the holdbacks and all options you can choose (besides obviously the most impartial vehicle review). costs $39.99 but with a cost of 20-30K vehicle $ 40.00 is well worth it.

Most dealers nowadays qill quote on the internet/e-mail. which will be a lot better than going to the dealer and start negotiating. Try 5 good dealers and they can quote you their internet price. In MA area there is Acton Toyota, Westboro Toyota, Ira Toyota, Atlantic Toyota and few other dealer will give you a good Internet price on the vehicle. You can check their inventory online and decide which vehicle you want. It works well.. Though they will want you to come to the dealership for "some more bargain" if you think you can still bring them lower. I was quoted a good price and did not do any haggling at all. $ 21.2 K for the Base 4x4 4 Cyl. with Daytime running light, Roof Rack, 17" Wheels, wheel lock and Mats.

Sorry for the long post.
    Edmunds TMV or the Cardirect prices are NOT the lowest a dealer can offer.

If you can convince you are a serious shopper, they will quote a much better internet price. E-mails and phone calls work just as fine or better than dealing at the dealership.
    I finally had it so I asked dealers for OUT the door price. Using factory invoice.

No hidden fees nothing. I want the fact inv of car i want. I want then
    their best offer from that price. $500.00 below fact inv. is what you want at least.
    Let them do all calculations.

go at the end of the day and better at the around the 28 then leave.
    end of the month and almost at closing they have pressure coming from above.
    Leave the place w/ best offer in writing.
    December is death valley so buy at the end and you are good.
    Good advice on the timing for negotiations. But $500 below factory invoice? If Consumer Report pricing shows msrp 25187, invoice 23060, holdback 463, I should shoot for 22500? Is that realistic?
    As soon as I read this, I signed up. I thought you had to order price reports invidually and I could see me running up quite a tab. This $39 for 3/mo is great. Need to get my printer up and running so I can organize my thoughts as I start contacting dealers online. thanks.
  • mickeymmickeym Member Posts: 10
    :) Hi to all just order my 08 4x4 Limited V6 I believe I got a pretty good deal with these factory installed options 4 to 6wks for delivery:

Leather Seats -LA
    Heated Seats -HD
    Tonneau cover -CD
    JBL 6-disc -DJ
    Daytime Running lights-RL
    Power moonroof - -SR
    Tow prep - TO
    Wheel locks - WL
    Mud Guards - MF
    Carpet floor mats - CF
    and with dealer installed options:
    VIP RS 3200 security system - V5
    Body Side Moldings -
    Auto Dim Mirror
    Remote Start
    Bumper applique
    Cargo Net
    First Aid Kit total $30,426 +tax, tags & doc fees minus $5,000 trade in yr 2000 Camry after 08 deal was made
    Congrats! sounds like a great Rav....those are some fine options. Did you start with internet quotes or just hit the dealers? six to eight weeks sounds pretty standard from what I've heard. I'm hoping people are right when they say this is the time of year to make a deal. Thanx for the input.
    Thanks ellay

I did alot of internet research I checked Carsdirect & Edmunds for pricing but the Carsdirect has a better listing of all options with prices. So I went to the dealer with the complete list of options I wanted, & gave him the list with those prices. I didn't give him the total cost of vechicle from Cardirect with those options I wanted to see how close he could match it. The dealers price of all the factory installed option was a match, I had to settle for dealer installed options at their price because I could not get them factory installed. The dealer came close enough to Carsdirect so I agreed on the deal. He did say that the body side moldings from the factory had problems & he recommended his vendor which he says are guarantee for life
    which I am going to make sure he gives me that in writing when I pick up the car. Good luck to you on your purchase also if you go to the dealer with internet the prices ask to deal with their internet manager, when I went the internet manager was not available so I dealt mostly with the sales manager for the final pricing. I am from Brooklyn NY but I purchase from U.S. 1 Auto Mall in New Jersey.
    Re: ellay - Try and check nearby (within 30 miles) dealers inventory and ask them for their internet price for the vehicle that you are interested in. Check with about 5-8 dealers.

That price would be still better than the "carsdirect or the edmunds TMV prices. Use the lowest one as the preferred vendor and try to ask them to improve on their quotes over the phone or e-mails.

Try to avaoid going to the dealership till you believe, you are within the consumer reports price (with options but minus the holdback). Good luck.

Which area are you from?
    Re; earlyages -

I paid Following -

21,200 + $195.00 doc. fees + 86 title and reg. fees + 5% Tax.

for 4x4, 4 Cyl.

Base model with roof rack, 5 floor mats, wheel lock, 17" steel wheel and daytime running lights.

Has anyone out there installed a rear bumper guard for the O8 Rav from WAAG they manufacture only at this time (16411) for Rav 4 06-07 model years. There doesn't seem to be any change for model yr. 08 so it should fit? can any who installed one confirm this.

Thanks
  • lsangerlsanger Member Posts: 4
    I sent away for quotes from eight different central Ohio Toyota dealerships for a specific Rav4, made it clear what I wanted, and said I would buy the low bid. The car = base 2x4, roof rails, tonneau cover, that's it. Pretty stripped down version, but then I don't need much, just a reliable car with room for a growing family.

I'm still waiting for three more bids (two said they would respond on Monday), but so far, the prices (without the documentation and title fees, or tax) range from $20,598 up to $21,629. Most of these (if not all of them) threw in alloy wheels and mats (including the lowball). There was also a 4x4 (not a V6 though) for $22,146.

I did this simply by going to toyota.com and searching for dealerships near my zip code. There were 11. I sent in my quote requests via the "contact this dealer" links. It was pretty easy, actually. I was talking to the people at their Internet depts. Toyota dealerships are set up to handle these sorts of inquiries. One place advertises a firm-ish 3% above invoice. Via e-mail they gave me what they said was 2% over invoice. (This was one of the high bids.)

Do these seem like reasonable offers to you? I'm inclined to think so, because a few of the offers were actually fairly well below what consumerreports.org said was the dealer's invoice price.

Any advice gratefully accepted...
    Ellay-

I got most of my information through articles found on the web, as to the tactics that almost all dealerships/sales people/managers use, and the many ways the dealer makes money on a deal (even as they cry about how much money they're losing). I found a wonderful article from a writer who went "undercover" working in 2 car dealerships for a few months, then wrote about what goes on in those places. I don't even have the link...but it was a real eye opener! I used Edmunds and other websites to find out the holdback cost, incentives, or whatever else was being offered back to the dealer. I also checked for the current financing rates. As for the dealer invoice, I told the dealer that either I could go home and pay a few bucks to print one out off of the internet, or they could save us both time and print theirs out for me (which they readily did...nice money savings there... AND it was itemized)! I REALLY stressed to the managers that the '09's were coming out in spring, and they had quite a few '07 leftovers- and that I bet they needed to move them out. Few people do what I do in car dealerships; I am relentless. I was never disrespectful, cocky or demeaning, but I WAS confident and firm in my manner and voice (I did the buying on my own...a very petite female, early fifties). A number of times, I put on my jacket to leave. I kept stressing that I did not NEED a new vehicle, and would not purchase one until my terms were met.

Rule of thumb: Never shop for a new vehicle when you need one. Do it BEFORE you're desperate.

My husband and I purchased 2 new vehicles within a week's time, and got each one well below MSRP, and substantially lower than dealer invoice. I'll tell you though, to negotiate the way I do, is a draining- but extremely well worth it- experience! :D
    Hi lSanger - 20,598 is pretty decent - but try hard negotiations to get few hundred off. 20-20.2 would be quite god.
    Try over the phone first, but you might need to go to the dealership to do further negotiations.

Some dealers settle for low price if their stock is huge or aren't selling as much.

I think you are withn the ball park.

Good luck.
  • ktumuktumu Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everone,
    After reading the posts here and some from other websites,
    I paid 24250 OTD for a RAV4, 4 Cyl with the following.

All weather mats
    Daytime running lights
    Leather Seats
    6-disc CD changer
    Mud Guards - MF
    Cargo Net
    Roof rack

Do you think I overpaid or right around the ball park?
    Appreciate your comments.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    karlytr: I'm like you--I go to the dealer "armed" with all the info I can find. I love to negotiate--especially when I'm as smart as the opposition. I "always" buy the 3 month $39 dollar subscription for the Consumer Reports Car Buying Kit. This OUTSTANDING tool affords you the opportunity for "unlimited" pricing on vehicles. You can "save" your prices and compare vehicles. The article you are referring to is "Confessions of a Car Salesman" and if you go to www.edmunds.com you can still find the article. It was an eye opener!! Bob
    Thanks, webb, I appreciate it. The lowball sounds very firm and told me not to use his price to get others to lower theirs! Maybe that's fair...I told them I wanted their best shot and I would choose the lowest...
    Bob: I guess you said it best; I love to negotiate, too.... I enjoy the challenge! The negotiations turn out to be a game of point-counterpoint. Sometimes (most times) they use all the ploys they can to convince you that you should be paying more for the vehicle they're selling, but quickly rescind those tactics when it comes to paying on your trade (I readily gave them their same words back when it came to trading our cars... it leaves them speechless)! :D The Consumer Reports buying guide sounds like a good bet! Yes, that well-written "Confessions" article was somewhere between entertaining and nauseating! So many dealerships are filled with sharks... it's such a shame! :mad:
    karlytr: I tell people--know what your trade is worth and NEVER tell them you have a trade--get their "bottom line" on the vehicle your interested in--this is a MUST first on your list of to do's! Its easy to get a very good idea of what it is worth thru Edmunds, NADA, Consumer Reports or Kelley Blue Book. By arming yourself with what the car costs the dealer and what your trade is worth----now YOU"RE in the drivers seat. With this knowledge you can very closely "guesstimate" what your monthly payments will be. Get your financing pre-approved---once again--you're IN CHARGE! I just tell them--put away your "4 square" sheet--I know what I'll pay and if you want my business--meet those terms. Of course, like you said--now the "sales manager" starts his whinning about all the $$$$ they'll be losing. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for them as I drive away. I still leave knowing they did OK and bankruptcy is not in their future. Afterall, they DO NOT sell them at a loss. If I were younger I'd start up a car buying business--just for those folks who hate the task of buying a new car. Bob
  • shaohsiinshaohsiin Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just got my Rav4 yesterday.
    It's a 08 4Cyl 4X2 base model, silver! with 17" steel wheel, roof rail and floor mats.
    I paid 20,147 plus tax and doc. fee.

There were some newspaper ADs listing 2007 models for $19,988. I e-mailed to several dealers asking for a 2008 model to match this price. I got respons ranged from $20,147 to $20,947. I replyed to the lowest one and tried to negotiate futher but got no luck. I accepted the price and went to drive my RAV4 back ^^. I feel it's possible to get the price somewhere under $20,000, but i am tired to keep trying.

Good luck everyone.
  • getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    Model Description: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV
    Year ............: 2007
    Interior Color ..: LA10 ASH
    Exterior Color ..: 01F7 SILVER
    Body ............: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV LIMITED
    Number of Cyl ...: 6

Factory Installed Accessories: FE EJ HD LA RL SR TO CF

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5 Liter DOHC V6 w/Dual VVT-I Engine
    5 Speed ECT Auto Trans/Elec On-Demand
    4WD/4WD Man Lock/Elec Pwr Steering Sys
    Fr&Rr Stabilizer Bars/4-Whl Disc Brakes
    Hill-Start Assist Ctl/Dwnhll Assist Ctl
    17" 6-Spke Alloy Whls w/P225/65R17 Tires
    & Full Size Spare Tire on 17" Steel Whl
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Fr Airbags (SRS)
    Dr & Fr Pass Seat Mounted Side/Fr & 2nd
    Row Roll-Sensing Side Curtain Airbags
    3Pt Seat Belts in All Locations
    2nd Row CRS Lower & Top Tether Anchors
    Rr Dr Child Safty Locks/Eng Imob & Prwre
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    EXTERIOR
    UV Reduction Glass Wndshld/Rr Priv Glass
    Clr-Kyd Bmprs,Rr Spoiler,Dr Handles,Pwr
    Htd O/S Mirrs,Spare Tire Cvr/Chrme Grll
    Blck Rf Rack/Mlti-Rflctr Halogn Auto-Off
    Hdlmps/Fr Var & Rr IntWipers/Mas Antena
    LED Tail and Stop Lamps / Fog Lamps
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Dual Zone A/C w/Clean Air Fltration &
    Micro Dust/Pollen Removal/Info Display
    AM/FM CD 6-Disc In-Dash CD Chgr w/6 Spks
    Mn-Plg/Mn Tlt/Tlspc Ltr Str Whl Aud Ctls
    Cloth Int, / Pwr-Adj Dr/Man Adj Pass
    2nd Rw 60/40 Splt,Reclne,Fld Flt w/Slide
    Fwrd Cpblty w/Ctr Armrst, 2 Cup Holders
    Dual Glove Box/Digital Clock/Cruise Ctrl
    Power Windows/Door Locks/Keyless Entry
    Optitron IP Gauges / Gated Shifter
    2 Fr/1 Cargo Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    Rr Crg Area 2nd Rw Seat 1 Tch Fld Flt Lv
    Ctr Cnsl w/2-Illum Cup Hldrs, Cell Phone
    Storage,Upper Storage Tray, & Cnsole Box
    Tneau Cvr w/Mlti-Prpose Net & Suprt Pole
    Svisr w/Ext & Ilum Van Mir/Slver Int Trm
    50 State Emissions
    JBL AM/FM 6-Disc In Dash CD Changer with
    Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth
    Wireless Technology, Satellite Radio
    Capability, MP3/WMA Playback Capability
    and 9 Speakers In 7 Locations (Includes
    Subwoofer)
    Seat Heaters
    Leather Seats
    Daytime Running Lights
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. Towing
    Capacity - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan
    Coupling, Alternator, and Pre-Wiring
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat

MSRP ..........................................: $ 30,634.00

Final price .........: $ 27,795.00*

--------------------------------------

Please take a look and let me know if it's good deal or not..

THIS PRICE does not include the TAX (around 8%), govt fee, destination fee, etc....

BUT the problem is this is NOT 2008 and It is the silver color which I DONT want..

But,, if this quote seems to be such a good deal, I'll go for it.. THANKS!.
    Looks like you got a great price. I just put a deposit down for a similar RAV4, for $20,598.00. You did better than I did, by $500. (The OTD price was $22,332.86, which included $250 documentation fee, $25.50 title fees, and $1459.36 tax.) The only thing I got that you didn't was a tonneau cover, worth something like $140, so your deal was still better. That was the lowest bid of eight, and they ranged from that figure up to $21,629 (a dealership in a rich suburb). There was one guy who wanted $21,069 for the car, but then added $1,110 for destination and advertising fees! The total price was more than another guy was charging for a 4x4 version.

I'm not surprised your lowball bid was firm.
  • yakultspitsyakultspits Member Posts: 22
    08 RAV4 4WD V6 Limited
    options: JBL, heated seats, moonroof, daytime running lights, tow package
    MSRP: $31,004
    "Real invoice" (in the dealer's words): $28,251
    Offer: $29,051

How does this look? Seems a little high - I'm in upstate NY. The car is on the lot.

Thanks a lot.
  • llane1llane1 Member Posts: 4
    I have been researching the Rav4 with prices for the last 3 wks and am completely confused bc it seems as though some people are able to get about $2000 off of invoice and others are paying right at invoice or higher. I emailed some of my local dealerships about a bid of $21,400-$22,2000 for a V6 base with just the basics they stick on all of them plus alloy wheels. The first dealership (spent 3 hours there just to test drive), did not respond back at all, the second offered me invoice plus $300 and tried to convince me he was only making $300 on the deal. The third was exceptionally nice but told me there was no way at all to get that model for anywhere near that price and offered me invoiceminus $500 (which their invoice was still $1000 over the toyoya msrp for exact same vehicle (minus dealer added alloys which still should be only $3-400) - found it through searching inventory - don't know if there are legitmate fees there or it is just another angle ). But it seems some people are able to get down around that price (I have already compensated for the upgrade to V6 or downgrade to 2WD). I just don't understand how there is so much difference and the dealerships around here don't even seem to want to work with that figure at all (in DFW area). And then the Edmunds price says TMV is just $50 less than MSRP. Just wanted to see if there was someone out there who had a better understanding then me. Thanks
    llane1: Hopefully this will help you understand car pricing. I first suggest that in the future, buy the 3 month Consumers Report Car Buying Kit--cost is $39 and you can do UNLIMITED price reports. There is the "dealer invoice"--this includes dealer holdback which is $463 for a Base RAV4 V-6. Aloy wheeels cost the dealer $352 and they add $440 to the MSRP. The Base RAV4 V-6 w/alloy wheels breaksdown as follows: Dealer cost---what he "actually" paid is $21,972 Dealer Invoice--what they'll tell you is $22,435--this includes the $463 holdback. The MSRP is $24,260 for the vehicle. Remember----talking to a dealer on the phone is "far" different than dealing face-to-face!! They want to KNOW you're "serious" about buying. Believe me, if they know you're serious--I'd bet they meet your "reasonable" offer. I'd say OK to the Invoice + $300--if it was on the actual dealers invoice of $21,972! So you can see then you'd be paing $22,272! If the $300 is on the dealers invoice he'll show you, remember there's the $463 holdback in that price! Now he's making the $463 holdback plus the $300 he's "generously?!! allowing you to pay! Play HARDBALL----but--make sure they know you're serious. Also remember they'll deal more "generously" on what they have on their lot to get it sold. Another tip--can you wait until the last week of Decenmber? If so---the dealer will be looking to not only meet his monthly--but--also his yearly quota! Have fun----be calm--afterall--armed with the right info--you're in the drivers seat!! Good Luck! Bob
    Thanks!! That is awesome! So I am not crazy!! I can definitely wait until end of December - will give me time to see exactly where the one I want is - so far none of the dealers around here have had one even similar on the lot so I can try that angle. You have given me knew hope :) (without thinking I am robbing them of their commission). Thanks again - Linzee
    Linzee: Also remember this--dealers continually do dealer trades--I live at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri--bought my wife's 08 RAV4 in Sedalia, MO and it was trailered from near South Bend, IN. Take a look at one of your local dealers inventories--click on RAV4--you'll see "in stock"--what he has on the lot and also "available"--what is in a manufacturers pool of cars available to all the dealers. Again--best bet--find one on the lot you like--then start negotiating!! GET THE $39 Consumer Reports Car Buying Kit----best $39 you can spend! You can get the dealers cost---dealers invoice which includes the holdback and the MSRP. The report lists all option and the dealer cost and MSRP cost. Go to www.consumerreports.org Have fun!!
    Bob
    I am in the process of finding which dealer has the one I want (I know there is one in the area, it's just tedious tracking down which one) in hopes they will be more willing to negotiate. The saleslady I talked to at the internet dept at one of the dealership told me they were given a 'threshold' they could sale cars at which was $500 below invoice which according to that invoice still put it at $24,300 (base V6 with alloys and then the basics you can't get one without - tonneau cover, daytime running lights, etc). So I don't know if they aren't allowed or just refuse to go under that (but she didn't indicate there was any wiggle room), hence checking out other dealerships. Will get the consumer reports - should be entertaining, if nothing else, to see what kind of markup they do on these vehicles, especially the $55,000 Ford Trucks!!! Thanks for all your advice!
    Linzee
  • oregonmike1oregonmike1 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone,

me and one of my friend were looking for base rav4 4x2 v4 with third row seat. We picked up two RAV4s last week at this price.

2008 Base V4 4x2 Silver

Options: Third row seat, running day lights, engine immobilizer

(we were not ready to pay extra for options that we do not need.)

I did NOT check with CR or any other website except edmunds TMV.

The price offered to us is $1000 below TMV: $21,700

:blush:

This is $500 below invoice as per edmunds website. However the dealer charged us few extras that we were not sure: :confuse:

1. advertising fee = 487
    2. finance fee = 310
    3. dealer hold-back = 460

ARE those extra CHARGES that everyone pays? I am wondering.

We both paid around $200 extra for DMV. The final out of door price including DMV fees: $21,940

How is this deal? Looking at what others paid, I do not think I got a very good deal though. :sick: I should have read this forum before buying the vehicle :cry:

appreciate your inputs.