Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    yvtyvt Member Posts: 8
    Hi JH,
    I was wondering what accessories did you get? and if you mind to post the itemized charge? I happened to get an offer from the same dealership, and would like to compare to yours. Thanks.
  • Options
    watsacwatsac Member Posts: 49
    mickxian - you should always start your offer as low as possible...usually with the invoice price. Don't believe the TMV prices ... those are inflated prices made up by Edmunds. Their goal is to help the dealers make money by making the uneducated buyer feel good when they get a deal at the TMV price. Face it, the TMV prices are only a few bucks below MSRP and who pays MSRP?
  • Options
    thomasw98thomasw98 Member Posts: 29
    Quite a few people having successfully negotiated deals for the Rav4 at $300-$550 below invoice. Also keep in mind that as we edge closer to june and july, the dealers will want to move out the 2008 inventory that much more (to make room for the 2009 cars).
  • Options
    I would suggest starting at $600 below invoice, NOT at invoice price.
  • Options
    lhartwicklhartwick Member Posts: 1
    What is the best web site to use to determine invoice pricing? I've used KBB and Edmunds, however Edmunds does not list all of the options available so the pricing is inaccurate. I am interested in possibly purchasing a RAV4. Any help is appreciated!
  • Options
    ruthie2ruthie2 Member Posts: 15
    i used edmunds, Got my 2008 :) Base Rav4, V6 4x4 for $100 over invoice, could find a better price in the whole state of Wisconsin. I was happy with the price!
  • Options
    bziabzia Member Posts: 3
    $ 21000 even

Base Rav 4, 4X2, FWD, Silver, 4 Cyl.

17 inch wheels
    and 5 spoke rim
    roof rack
    mud flaps
    floor mats
  • Options
    mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I got two quotes out of Indiana for this car. The first was 23,750 + tax. The 2nd was 25,325 Out the Door. Do these sound like good prices? I have not sent them each others quotes yet but was wondering if this is a good starting point or should I just jump on one?
  • Options
    tlamberttlambert Member Posts: 1
    IT took a week and now I have to drive to a Toyota dealer 45 miles away from the one that is 3 miles from my house
    but i got $19,974 4cyl Base ,Silver,6 player cd upgrade ,roof rack ,tonu cover ,day running lights and floor mats 4 miles on vehicle

tax \tags,title everything $22000.00 excatly

Sandy Springs Toyota

i feel i did pretty good
  • Options
    kingchan123kingchan123 Member Posts: 4
    Heya guys.

I just purchased a RAV4 and I'm really excited about it, but I've been having a lot of trouble with the dealership. First, I wanted it in silver, and they told me it would be 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks later, they called and said that my order might get delayed, but that I could switch to black (which I thought was ridiculous, what was going on?). After about 8 weeks, I started to get a little concerned. I called them about the car and they chalked it up to some shipping problem.

It has been 8 weeks already and they still can't confirm when our date of delivery is. In case something happens, I'd really like to know what action I could take x.x especially in reclaiming the $2100 deposit.

Any of this happen to you x.x?
  • Options
    hank119hank119 Member Posts: 39
    kingchan123
    I presume you have a written agreement with the dealer which shows the delivery date.
    You have to decide when you feel you've waited long enough beyond the delivery date.
    At that time, see the General Manage of the dealership and ask for your money back . If you get a hard time from the dealer, post the name of the dealership here.

You've already waited 8 weeks. You have to decide when you want to cancel.

I'm in a similar situation except I left no deposit. I think Toyota has a large inventory of vehicles nobody wants and is slow on shipping the special orders like yours or mine.

Hope you get your Rav4 in the color you want.
  • Options
    xfshhxfshh Member Posts: 26
    The $21,000 includes tax, title, TDA etc.?

Really, what is "TDA"?
  • Options
    I got several quote from the dealers. I figure actually some of them are quoting on the same car:
    Base 4x2 v4

Cargo Area Tonneau Cover with
    Multipurpose Cargo Net with Support Poles
    Black Roof Rails & Crossbars .
    17" 5-Spoke Styled Steel Wheels
    daytime Running Lights
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat

They are quoting from $21,006 to to $21,510.

How can I negotiate the price down? I'm in WI close to Chicago.

Thank you!
  • Options
    caldreamin2caldreamin2 Member Posts: 10
    I found a Liimited V6 in Blizzard Pearl with fabric (!) seats, moonroof, JBL, tow prep, floor mats and a third row... If I can sell my Yukon XL, or get a decent price on a trade, I may be interested in this vehicle. Edmunds does not list the invoice price for this vehicle, or whether there are any dealer holdbacks. If the MSRP is 28,874, including the destination charge, where do you think I should start?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not getting close to $19,974 in #2109. :(

I'd appreciate that someone will help me with the questions below:

a) How many times do you usually go back and forth with the dealer?

b) How long is the whole process, from sending out the 1st email to the final price?
  • Options
    I have never had any luck negotiating via email with any dealer in California. It seems their point of view is that they don't want to give you their bottom line price in writing (by email) since they know you will just shop it elsewhere and some other dealer will beat it by 50 bucks. The best I have gotten by email is X hundred dollars over invoice. Most won't even quote ANY price and always ask me to visit the dealer in person.

Face to face still seems to best way. What I do is go to the dealer late at night and sniff around the inventory when they are closed. See what they have on the lot that fits my goal. (you can also do this via the internet if they have their inventory online). Then go back the next day to nego the car. In the case of the Rav4 2008 model, I would just tell the salesman:

"Listen, I pretty much already know which car I want, and will just need a quick inspection and test drive to be sure, but price is all important. I don't want to waste your time, so I will tell you that I am only willing to pay $300 UNDER invoice. Also, I have the invoicing data from the internet, so no need to show me any "invoice" that your dealer has created internally. What do you think? Can we work on this?"

I am an experienced negotiator, so they usually pick that up right away and give me a straight answer. But I think anyone can use this same method with enough research in advance and confidence in yourself and your numbers.

If yes, then no problem. If no, then ask them best price. If any higher than $300 under invoice, then they should offer something extra, .e.g. free something or whatever. Personally, if not $300 under invoice, I would just tell them thanks and walk away. But it is up to you. If you think about it, a couple hundred bucks up or down is not a big deal. It really depends on your budget.
  • Options
    thomasw98:

Your reply is very informative. Thank you!

One thing I got confused is which "invoice" price we are referring to, the one from Edmund or the one after subtracting manufacturing holdback and wholesale financing reserve?
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Months ago, got wife's car at $18,888 with $4,700 off MSRP.
    Saw the promotion on newspaper it said EVERY Rav4 4x4 4-cyl base on stock at that MSRP, so we choice of color, took silver.
    We made the deal less than 1 hr. and paid everything with personal check. Went home, did the money transfer to checking account. Picked up the car 6 hrs later.

This week promotion same trim at $17,888 ... bochtoyota.com
  • Options
    ruthie2ruthie2 Member Posts: 15
    I paid $100 over invoice...Kelly Blue Book.
    Paid 24K for V6 4x4 Rav4 base, tow prep, all mats, mud flaps, tonneau cover, roof rails. That is the absolute lowest the dealer would go. This is in Central Wisconsin.No trade in though.That always complicates the dealing.
  • Options
    rutilus99rutilus99 Member Posts: 5
    The best site for seeing all the hold backs, invoice price and MSRP's is at Consumer Reports www.consumerreports.org

Their car buying kit is $39 with unlimited access for 3 months.
  • Options
    see post 2120
  • Options
    see post 2120
  • Options
    Good info, but they only have several left so not worth going that far to get it.
  • Options
    I was referring to the Edmunds invoice. In other words, take the Edmunds invoice price and bargain for X hundred less than that number.

Why? If you subtracted out all the hidden profit, then no way would they be able to sell for "less than invoice", right? That would make it a net loss, which they will rarely agree to...unless the car is an absolute dog or some other problem.
  • Options
    remassremass Member Posts: 1
    Yup, I went to Boch Norwood. Saw a Sunday ad for base Rav4 2wd with floor and cargo mat option as well as roof rails,day running lights and 17" rims. MSRP $22,514 they advertised selling for $19,988. Went in and stated I would take one for $19,000 and no more, figuring they probably wouldn't go much below the great Sunday newspaper Blow Out price. They were going to let me leave but stopped me at the door and agreed to $19k. Man I thought I did great!
    That next Sunday they had a new ad price of $17,988 for the same car!! Was I ever bummed out. I called them to ask about the new price and they tried to claim it included military money bonus but I bet they wouldn't let you leave if you called them out on it.

Now they are pushing 08' 4x4 base Rav4's at $17,800 Aaaaahhhh!!!!! Moral of the story you can get your best deal at large volume dealers as the new model year vehicles roll in and they got out going model years piled up in a storage lot. (and they don't get much bigger than Boch) I'll be even more savy/ready when my wifes van needs replacing.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Amazing to hear about those kind of prices, here the base model is going for just under $21,000.
  • Options
    colfaxwolfcolfaxwolf Member Posts: 11
    I just took a look at their website. They are selling the base models with msrp of $24,088 for $17,800. That is $6,288 off retail. That is crazy. If I lived up there I would be racing to get one.
  • Options
    ywuywu Member Posts: 6
    Where can you find their selling price? On their website, I've only seen MSRP price and dealer's cost. Thank you.
  • Options
    Oh, the price $17,800 is right under the promotion.
  • Options
    tsc2tsc2 Member Posts: 5
    I am debating between RAV4 vs CRV. What's a reasonable price for a RAV4 base AWD? Do you have any experience with dealers in the Memphis, Tennessee area?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    eleanor31eleanor31 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I'm looking at purchasing a Rav4 and importing it to Canada. Reading some of this thread is making me question the price I'm getting from Fleetrates.com. One of the problems we Canadian have is that we have to purchase via a third party because of restrictions that Toyota has placed on their US dealerships. The dealerships are not allowed to sell new cars to Canadians. Anyway, here's the info on the car:
    Toyota Rav4 4x4 Base
    3rd row seat
    daytime running lights
    tonneau cover
    !7" steel wheels
    carpet floor / cargo mats
    wheel / with spare tire lock

for $24,000 plus $995 transportation to my door.

It's hard for me to compare this price with others listed here since I don't see any with the third row seat option. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is the invoice I got from carsdirect.com
    2008 Toyota RAV4 Base 4x4 V4
    Invoice $20,920.00
    Wheels: 17 in. Styled Steel $96.00
    Third Row 50/50 Split Seat $752.00
    Anti-Theft System w/Immobilizer $48.00
    Option total $896.00
    Manufacturer's Destination Charge $685.00
    Total $22,501.00

Please note that the 17in wheel here is the styled, not the steel one, and the engine is 4 cyls.
  • Options
    haroldfharoldf Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at a Base 4cyl Silver with:

Roof rack and cross bars
    daytime running lights
    17 inch styled wheels (not alloy)
    Tonneau cover (spelling?)

MSRP is $22,455
    Invoice is $21,171 according to dealer
    Price offered to me is $20,000 including freight.

Floor mats will be extra at dealer cost if I want them. Same with mudguards - they want about $175 installed.

Tax, tags, and $100 are extra. I don't bother with this stuff since it differs depending upon where one lives.

Do I grab this tonight/tomorrow?
  • Options
    joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    I just found out that my fiance's mother just purchased a used Rav4 this afternoon. I had spoken with her earlier this year after negotiating a steal of a deal on an '08 Honda Pilot myself. I told her to let me know when she wanted to begin the car hunt and I would personally handle all of the negotiations for her. I have yet to learn all of the details of the purchase, but I do know she paid around $18,000 for one with almost 30,000 miles on it.

Although I'm sure she has a solid vehicle after dealing with a POS Jeep for too many years, it really just annoys me that I could have (with some work of course) gotten her a new '08 4WD for right around the same price. I'm guessing it has to be an '06 or '07. It really can be quite easy negotiating with these dealers. I'm a fairly non-confrontational person when placed face-to-face, but over the phone and especially via e-mail, anything goes. I recommend anyone and everyone give it a shot. The only thing you have to lose is a few minutes of your time. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sounds like a really good deal to me.
  • Options
    2008car2008car Member Posts: 29
    That is just to funny. So should we start at $17,000. about $2000 below invoice? :)
  • Options
    That is just to funny. So should we start at $17,000. about $2000 below invoice?

Personally, I don't like to take the really "lowball" approach, in the same way I don't like the seller to play the "highball" approach with me.

With a Mitsubishi Outlander, I think you could start at $2000 below invoice, and then give a couple of hundred dollars back in negotiations (traget price around $1500 below invoice). But I doubt the RAV4 could be had for such a low number. My guess is that a 2008 RAV4's best price will be around $800 below invoice...maybe lower as we get closer to the 2009 version launch.
  • Options
    haroldfharoldf Member Posts: 8
    By the way, I got the Base Rav 4 cyl with FWD, all weather floor mats, DRL, roof rack, 17 inch styled wheels, and mudguards for $20K. Tax, tags, and registration were extra. Good luck all. :)
  • Options
    According to my check on Edmunds, invoice price for that car is about $21,003 (not sure about the mudguards)...so it looks like you got it for $1000+ under invoice. Nice result...Congrats!
  • Options
    Just an update on my search for the best deal.

So far I have received $1000 under invoice for a Rav4 and $1200 below invoice for a Honda CR-V.

I've also received about $1000-$1500 below invoice for a Hyundai Santa Fe plus the Manufacture rebate of $2500. Est. below invoice is $3500-$4000 below invoice.

I just dont know which car to purchase.
    I've check the resale value on the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Rav4 and it seems that the Santa Fe has a bit better resale value if you compare the purchase price with the rebate.

More bang for the buck for the Hyundai Santa Fe, but not sure of the reliability of the car (Hyundai Santa Fe)
  • Options
    2008car -

First of all, don't even consider the Hyundai unless you simply don't care about the resale value in 3-5 years. The market is currently flooded with Santa Fe's and someday they are all gonna make nice flower boxes because everybody (except me) will have one.

As for the RAV4 or CRV, it all depends on whether you're looking for a 4 cyl or a 6 cyl. I am personally willing to give up a few extra bucks each week to get the lower MPG and higher power of a 6 cyl. If you agree, then it's a no brainer because the CRV has no 6 cyl. In fact, IMO, the CRV is an EXTREMELY underpowered 4 cyl SUV and provides very spartan (but honda-like) accoutrements.

In case you cannot tell, I did buy a 6cyl RAV4 Ltd about 3 months ago. Very, very happy so far. But I went thru the same thought path you are describing so I thought I would expell my 2 cents.
  • Options
    enxagaenxaga Member Posts: 30
    are there any good deals on rav4 3rd row base in Southern California? how comfortable is the 3rd row?
  • Options
    What part of the country are you getting those kind of quotes on the RAV4 and CRV? Heck of a lot less than here in Tx.
  • Options
    You just have to email alot of the dealers and ask will they sell below invoice. If yes then ask more question. If no then go to the next dealer.

If you find a dealer that hasnt sold many cars then he will most likley sell under invoice, talk to the fleet guy.

Because of the internet there is the internet department and I think every negoitation should be done via email now adays. it makes your life a lot easier and you dont have the stress of the negoitation.

if you dont like the price or the dealer just left click or turn off the computer.

I'm in Southern California
  • Options
    Ah yes the California market is much different than Texas, thus you are able to get quotes like that.
  • Options
    sportsfan1sportsfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Husband and I want to buy a RAV4 LTD-preapproved by credit union for loan. Will drive to NC, SC, GA, VA, KY, OH or anywhere within a few hundred miles or so. Knoxville dealers seem overpriced -did my research and homework; thanks to this forum. Any suggestions???
  • Options
    According to the Toyota website, there are 130 dealerships within 250 miles of Knoxville with 51 of the dealerships having "Presidents Award" status. I would send a Request For Proposal (RFP) to the internet departments of those 51 dealerships for the EXACT RAV4 LTD your are looking for. Weed out the ones who do not provide you with a quote, negotiate with the remaining ones and then take the one with the best price. Remember however that Internet quotes do not typically have a lot of room for negotiating.
  • Options
    sportsfan1sportsfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Just checked the Toyota website -will email the ones within 100 miles tonight with a RFP. Sounds promising -I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
  • Options
    bumptabumpta Member Posts: 1
    Hi all-

First, let me thank everyone on this forum- it has been wonderful in providing me with the best information for buying my new Rav 4. I am an owner of an 06 Rav base model V-6 4x4 with 55000 miles on it. My goal was to see if I could get into a new Rav for approximately what I pay now for my 06 Rav. I believe that overall I got a good deal, but please feel free to offer your feedback.

I tried to do this deal in parts. First, I secured a good rate from my local credit union for financing. Next, I emailed several dealerships in my area (central Massachusetts) with a specific car request: a 2008 V-6 4x4 Rav base model with the 3rd row seat option. All the cars in the area that have the 3rd row seat option also come with a few other options, like the towing prep package, roof rack, mud guards, and carpeted floor mats. Most dealers either would not offer a deal via email or were around $25000. Acton Toyota offered me $24350, so I decided to start there. I was able to get Acton to come down to a selling price of $24111. Now all I had to worry about was how much they would offer me for my trade, and I told them up front that I would not do the deal if I did not get a good offer. They came back with $15000 as an offer. As good as I thought this was, I asked for another $500.00, and they gave it to me. So my 06 Rav with 55000 miles on it held 62% of its original value... not too shabby!

So the deal was done- $24111 for the car, $15500 for my trade. All in all, I will end up spending an extra $23 per month for a new Rav compared to what I paid for my 06, and that is simply due to how much I still owe on the 06 Rav.

There actually is another twist to this story, as Acton couldn't locate the car I wanted in time for a trip I will be taking. My sales rep there, knowing that he would lose a sale, actually told me the locations of other area dealers with this specific car in stock, that would not swap cars with him, so that I could get what I needed in time for my trip. All in all, it was a very honorable thing for him to do.

I ended up using the offer from Acton to get the car I needed for the same price in Savannah Metallic at Toyota of Greenfield, although they did not seem pleased at all to honor the same deal that I got offered at Acton. Although Acton Toyota lost a sale, they have not lost me as a customer. I will continue to get my car serviced through them, and when I need to buy my next car, I will make them my first stop.

Let me know your thoughts...
  • Options
    I negotiated $300 below invoice for a 2008 Rav4 FWD V6 loaded with a lot of features. In the end, I decided to buy a Nissan Rogue instead.

I am located in Santa Barbara area of California. It's difficult to get good prices here because there are few dealers and competition is light. If I was in Los Angeles or Ventura, I am sure I could get a better deal.