Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Rav4NewGuyRav4NewGuy Member Posts: 5
    Closed a 2008 Rav4 Limited 4WD 4Cyl today in NJ
    -Leather/Heated
    -Moon Roof
    -Touch Screen Navigation
    -Toyota Security
    -Mud Guards
    -Floor Mats
    -Auto Dimming mirror
    -Pinstripe
    -Cargo Net
    -0% financing
    Price : 27,700 + TTL

Will appreciate comments on the price/package?
  • mazda626atxmazda626atx Member Posts: 227
    At first blush it sounds like you paid a lot for a 08 with 4 cylinder. I could get an 09 V6 without nav for a similar price . Maybe $200 more but they were gving 4 K off of 08s ??
    What is the 4K off you've mentioned?
  • kderobertiskderobertis Member Posts: 82
    That prices seems extremely high for a 2008!
    What Price would be reasonable? I havent finalized the deal yet, so would appreciate the feedback.
  • snap919snap919 Member Posts: 17
    I paid 27,500 +TTL for a 2008 Limited BUT it was V6, with similar extras, special color, except no navi. I didn't get 0%(paid cash) but I didn't try either. Hope that helps a bit. :D
    Thanks. That helps.
    GO to this link and see the possible difference between 2088 limited MSRPs .

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2008/index.html

There is a difference of $3315 from the top of the line V6 at $27,070 to the base Limited at $23,755,

Even the middle model Limited 4 cylinder ($ 25,155) is almost 2k less . I think that price is absurd IMHO

Is it a FWD model? :) I mention 4k which means that I think you should get 4 thousand off MSRP on any 2008 Rav
    Also with the $2000 incentive QZ or QY ( without NAV )package I think you could get an 09 for cheaper than that.

Go here and put in compaable stats and see the difference

http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

:)
    I think you are right about the price. Another friend also referred me to the same site you've mentioned.

I've canceled the deal and will check this site out.

Thanks for your input.
    You are welcome.
    Keep us posted . I am also in NYC area :)
  • wayside1wayside1 Member Posts: 36
    Just picked up my new RAV4 tonight!

Summary:

Got a 2009 RAV4 Base 4WD 4Cyl in Pacific Blue with the QV Extra Value package (17" 5-spoke wheels with full size spare, daytime running lights, roof rack, and rear privacy glass) and CF (carpet floor mats and cargo mat). The sticker included an "Extra Value Package MSRP Discount" of $570, bringing the sticker to $23964.

According to Edmunds, the invoice price is $21818.

I paid $21500 + $299.75 doc fee = 21799.75 (plus registration fees and sales tax).

Got an OK deal on the trade-in - $1000 for an 11 year old car with 130,000 miles.

Long version:

Test-drove the car on Friday at the dealership closest to my house and really liked it.

When I got home I used the Edmunds feature to request quotes from local dealers. I got a good number from one of them: $21011 ($800 under invoice!) and walked into the dealer the next morning with the email offer in my pocket. The sales manager initially gave me the full MSRP offer sheet, so I pulled out the email and showed it to him. His only quibble was that "he knew how this dealer worked" and that their email offers always included the $400 recent grad rebate, which I don't qualify for (and I believed him, that offer was really low) so he subtracted that out and offered me $21500, which I took. That part of the negotiation took all of 5 minutes, no pressure at all.

They initially offered me $650 for my trade, which the sales manager said is what the wholesalers were telling him. After a little dickering I got him up to $1000 "because we have a prior relationship with the dealer" (which is true, I service my other Toyota there). This part took about 20 minutes.

The sales guy was great, he steered me towards a vehicle which had the QV option package discount (apparently not all of the base level cars have this?), and although he was doing his job trying to sell me a car, he was well-informed and didn't play any games (no 4 square :shades: ) and didn't unduly pressure us.

Overall I think I got a pretty good deal. Maybe he was BS'ing me about the graduate rebate and I could have squeezed him down a few hundred more, but I was happy with the price I got, and I got him to come up on the trade-in. I bought it on Saturday November 29 2008, so maybe there were some expiring dealer incentives that worked to my advantage. Or maybe they really wanted to move the vehicle, they had a ton of them on the lot.

All in all a pretty pleasant experience.

I guess I am allowed to name the dealership, and I liked the way I was treated, so here it is: Bernardi Toyota in Framingham, MA.

And thank you Edmunds! Your site was a great help in researching vehicles and you guys saved me some serious time and money.
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for posting your results. Since the "doc fee' is just another way to get the price up, I just include it in the price. By that measure, you got $19 under invoice. I think that's prretty good. It is a lot better than I have been able to do--a lot better.

Congratulations on your new RAV.
    I agree to some extent about the doc fee, the internet offers I got all had a $300 fee on top of their prices as well.

My dealer did provide some service for that fee though - they handled going to the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) to get it registered, titled, and get new plates, which saved me at least two hours of my time if not more; handled all the paperwork with my insurance company; dealt with transferring the title on my trade; paid for the inspection sticker (state-mandated $29 fee); and put a full tank of gas in the car.

Where are you located?
  • mig29mig29 Member Posts: 3
    2009 Limited V6 FWD Rav4 (no moonroof)
    Leather with heated seats
    Color keyed side molding
    6 disc cd w/ XM
    Cargo net and cover
    Cash OTD for $27,000

Hope this is helpful for future buyers.
  • bcburgbcburg Member Posts: 1
    The MSRP is 24,922 and DIP is 23,400. I'm thinking to offer 23,400 plus TTL.
    Is it a reasonable offer?

Options:

* 50 State Emissions
    * Base L4 EVP Package
    * Body Side Molding
    * Daytime Running Lights
    * Mudguards
    * Privacy Glass
    * Roof Rack w/Cross Bar Roof Rail
    * Third Row 50/50 Split Seat
    * Wheels: 17" Styled Steel
    "The MSRP is 24,922 and DIP is 23,400. I'm thinking to offer 23,400 plus TTL.
    Is it a reasonable offer?"

Edmunds doesn't show body side molding and mudguards as options, but without those the MSRP is 24705 and the dealer invoice shows as 22,444 (for my area - eastern MA).

So you are 1000 over invoice as shown by Edmunds (their invoice seemed dead-on for me). Seems high based on my recent experience of getting close to the same car for right at invoice.
  • ThinkinghardThinkinghard Member Posts: 16
    Wayside1, thanks for sharing your experience,

Do you get a loan or pay cash? If you get a loan, what is your APR?
    Thinkinghard,

I paid cash. Toyota is not running any financing deals on the 2009 RAV4s at the moment.

I saw your post on what you are looking for, and I looked on FitzMall. Based on the MSRP's that are shown, all of them have some options installed. All of the ones with MSRP of $23964 are just like mine - QV package and floor mats, and they are showing either$21703 or $21892 for the price (all with invoice price of $22261 - don't know where that comes from, it doesn't match what is on Edmunds ($21818), unless it includes the advertising charge, which Edmunds doesn't give).

If you really want a stripped down one I think you might have trouble, I don't think dealers typically order them that way. Also, the invoice price of $20839 you mentioned in your post doesn't include shipping, which for me was $745, bringing the actual invoice price to $21584. To get one for under $21000 would be a really good deal.
    wayside1,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I did omit the destination charge at Edmunds' price.When I include QV and destination fees, the invoice price is $21692. ( I am at NH).

It seems only '08 Rav4 may have good APR. Is there any design difference between '08 and 09 Rav4?
    > Is there any design difference between '08 and 09 Rav4?

From the Edmunds 2009 RAV4 review:

"What's New for 2009

A more powerful four-cylinder engine, a restyled grille and bumpers and the adoption of active headrests for the front seats mark the changes for the 2009 Toyota RAV4."

I think the problem with an '08 at this point is that, unless you are going to keep it forever, you get nailed for an extra year of depreciation when you sell it. In three years it will be a four year old car, and no one will care that you bought it December 08 so it is really only 3 years old.

If you are in southern NH, you could try expanding your search into MA. All the dealers around me (Framingham area) seemed to be right around invoice (as reported by Edmunds) or a little under.
  • got2getwheelsgot2getwheels Member Posts: 5
    If that's a 2008, then it must be after-market navigation, which is pretty costly. I wouldn't pay that much for a 2008. I've just bought a 2009 4WD V6 with JBL EVP and backup camera (camera is actually pretty lame) but no nav, no pinstripe, no Toyota security, no mudguards. I paid 28,000 +TTL but I am paying 3% for 36 mos.
    I am shopping for a 2009 Limited V6 with FE QY TO BC The QY includes EJ RL LA SR . What is EVP ??Enjoy your new car :)
    Wayside1,

I do appreciate your advice!

My searching scope covers MA because there are not many dealers in NH.

Thanks again!:-)
  • ramarulramramarulram Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I am in the market for 2009 Toyota Rav4, Sport, 4WD, 4 Cyl.
    I live in Boston, MA and negotiated the price with from one of the dealers for $24,450 OTD (includes tax, doc fees, title & plates) with the Extra value package, mudguards.

Dealer MSRP: $26,113
    Edmunds Invoice: $22,386

Is this a good price for buying this vehicle?

I appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks! Its been a fun to drive so far (700 miles) - handles great and I love the heated seats! :D
    EVP (extra value package) is just one of the ways that some sites refer to QY or QZ. The QY is the one I got (no navi). I'm really not impressed with the JBL radio and kind of wish I had gone for the nav package instead, except that I really like having the Bluetooth on the steering wheel. I don't know if the BC is worth the money, but most of the ones I've seen with QY or QZ have had BC and TO on them already.

Good luck with your search!
  • RAV4_BuyerRAV4_Buyer Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know the price paid (OTD) for RAV4 2009 (AWD Sport V6) in Atlanta area.

Will there be any special before/during christmas time. The invoice price I saw in the web for this SUV is $24,141 and destination charge is $745.

Thank you.
    Why dont you tell us the price without tax because each state has a different tax basis.
    Simply put ,anything near the Fitzmall comparable auto price (up to $150 more) is a fair price. Find out what TTLD should be in your region. Simple enough
    Good Luck :)
    Thanks for mentioning the JBL radio. I thought I would get that without the NAV because I am sending the car to Greece but if the radio is not better, I may have to rethink my options.
    Does it not sound good??
  • coolblue123coolblue123 Member Posts: 20
    Hi ThinkingHard:

I was also talking to someone at Fritzmall in Maryland as well. They said they may have a special going right now for a stripped down RAV4 AWD. I think it was around 21,000. That's of course the Internet Price. Let me know if your successful. I am ready to buy as well..
  • 313313 Member Posts: 7
    I am in SF bay area, and got the quotation from one LA dealer (w/leather seat, JBL, and other options but no NV) around $28000 + TTL, I think the pricing is too high, anyone know better offer from any CA dealer?
  • Serge718Serge718 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am current in the market for a car. I have never had to purchase a vehicle on my own before so I'm a bit slow here.

I have been looking at the RAV-4. Finances are currently and issue and I am most likely going to lease the vehicle. All I want for now is a 2008 RAV-4, AWD. I'm currently waiting to hear back from dealers as to what the current quote would be.

My question is, what should I be paying? How much are you guys paying for this car (if anyone here is in a similar situation). Please let me know, and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    The radio isn't bad, it doesn't sound tinny, but it doesn't sound 9-speakers good. The radio on my '94 Camry was at least as good . The thing is, if you want all the other things, like moonroof, leather, power seat, etc..., it works out cheaper with the extra value packages than if you buy all the extras separately, so you'd have to decide between the JBL and the navigation anyway.
    As I said,the radio really isn't bad, -- maybe it has more to do with the interior of the car than with the electronics. Take it for a test-drive and see! I'm not familiar with the nav system, so I don't know if you can get maps for Greece. But it really is great having the Bluetooth on the steering wheel, which you can't have w/navi.
    Not successful yet. I will let you know if I get a deal.
  • tongshantangtongshantang Member Posts: 7
    I did some quote from dealers and want to know what the recent OTD price is.

I am looking for basic model

Thanks
  • wave1wave1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in Toronto. It's my first time to buy a new RAV4. I want a 4WD Basic model, automatic drive, the dealer MSRP is 26500 Canadian dollars, does anybody know what OTD price I can get? Who can share the experience and recent OTD price with me?

Thanks a lot.
    Can I know what is your lowest OTD quote so far?

Thanks
    Thanks for your response.
    I guess I will stay with my original options as I like the bluetooth component also :)
    The OTD I get is $22500.

Is it a good price in Dallas area?

what do you get?
    More detailed information: Dallas Fort Worth area

2009 Rav4 Fwd 4 cyl basic+ QV + CF

The invoice price I get is $20891 including freight.

The OTD is $20891+Tax+doc fee = 22450

The dealer said we must sign the contract this weekend.

The edmunds invoice including freight is about $20,741+CF = $20841
    What do you guys think about the price?
    I got my 2009 AWD base with QV and CF for $21500, with an Edmunds invoice of $21821. After the doc fee of $300, I wound up at $21 under invoice.

Your deal doesn't seem bad to me, although I did a few hundred better. I am in eastern MA though.

See my story here.
    Hi Wayside1

I have already read your post and really appreciate your message.

I also think my deal is not very bad. But do not feel it is very sweet, at least not as good as yours :)

My price including doc fee is actually beyond the edmunds invoice , maybe 300 hundreds.

how much is the difference usually between the east and Texas?

And I also concern that if Toyota will have promotion for RAV4 2009 in Jan?
    I have no idea how Texas and the northeast compare.

As for up-coming promotions... who knows. Toyota's web site shows $1000 rebates or 0% APR on 2008 models. With such a small rebate on the 2008's, it seems unlikely they will have rebates on the 2009's until the 2010's come out.

Also, your area has higher delivery charges according to buyatoyota.com ("The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC and TX will be higher.") This is not reflected in the Edmunds invoice price. So maybe you are closer to invoice than you think.

The other thing to think about is whether there are factory-to-dealer incentives that end at the end of the year. The dealer may be more motivated now than in January, and your deal could get worse if you wait. Although, the way the economy is, maybe not. :)
    Wayside1

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The Handling fee is $800 in TX.

Negotiation is a game. You never know the bottom line in car-buying. In fact, I mentioned the incentives and the dealer conveniently denied it.

I think a few hundreds dollars can buy me a peaceful mind. :)

Enjoy your new car.
  • mcg0125mcg0125 Member Posts: 3
    I just wrapped up my Rav buying experience here in the Fort Worth area. I had some pretty bad dealings with 2 other dealerships, but I was very happy with Freeman Toyota.

I originally had chosen an 08 Rav, mainly due to the low APR given. The weather was bad last night, and the car was pretty dirty after the test drive. We came to an agreement after I got the rate, along with a knock off of MSRP. The salesman told me he wanted me to wait until the weather was better today to get it detailed, so I drove the vehicle home. I was to come back this morning, have them drop me off at work, and they would deliver the vehicle to my job.

However, I noticed this morning, once there was sunlight, that there was about a baseball sized dent in the side of the driver door, along with some paint damage. There was so much mud and snow salt (whatever the city uses), that I didn't see it last night. I called the salesman on the way in to deal with him before any managers got involved.

He came outside and looked at it, and gave me the option of getting it fixed, or getting something else. I chose to get a 2009 Rav instead. I had a hard time justifying getting a damaged vehicle that was going to have to have some paint work done to it. I would have passed on it last night if I had seen it.

So, we found the 09 I had been looking at and we redid the paperwork. I'm sure I could have gotten this lower, however, the salesman (in fleet) was great, treated me like he wanted my business, and was very professional regarding the return and contract cancellation.

Here's the deal:
    2009 Black Rav Base
    22990.00 (including $800 destination fee)
    -$570.00 Extra Value Package Discount
    $199 Tint
    $948 AO Extra Mile Package A including:
    carpet mat set
    carpet floor mats
    rear cargo net
    body side molding
    fabric guard
    mud guards
    stainless steel exhaust tip
    custom tape stripe
    First Aid Kit.
    Roadside assist
    $475 R1 Running Boards
    $199 Glass Etch

MSRP $24,241.
    Selling Price: $23,782

I didn't fight anymore, mainly because I was getting quoted about $2,000-$3,000 more for my trade than anybody else was offering, which was a nice tax benefit. Deals were killed b/c of that with the other dealerships. Also, I had a pre-approved rate with USAA of 5.49%, but Toyota offered me 5.1%. I bit, declined the offers in finance for warranty, and was out the door with the standard $50 doc fee, and typical government fees.

I was happy with the deal, so I didn't mind paying what I did. I had great customer service there, was thanked by the GM, and would gladly recommend the salesman in fleet who deals with USAA customers. They gave me absolutely no hassle about getting out of the 08 Rav and into the Black 09. I would rather pay a little bit more for quality customer service than a better money deal with a salesman who couldn't care less if a deal turned into repeat business.
  • mcg0125mcg0125 Member Posts: 3
    I just realized I left out part of the info.
    The Extra Value discount was for the 17inch spoked steel wheels, daytime running, black roof rails/crossbar, rear privacy glass. That was $690 and discounted $570.
  • passatonerpassatoner Member Posts: 14
    I am about to close a deal and would like your feedback on the pricing.

2009 RAV4 4cyl 2WD Limited
    Options: EJ (JBL sound system), SR (Moonroof), RL (Daytime running lights)

MSRP is $26,665
    Per dealer, the invoice is $24,970. I'm getting for $24,470 ($500 below invoice)
    There is a $2000 Rebate
    OTD price is: $24,470 + Tax (CA) + License + $55 doc fee - 2K rebate = Appx. $24,800

Please let me know if its a good price or not. I plan to buy tomorrow, so appreciate fast response. Thanks!
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    According to Edmunds, the true invoice price is $24,516. My experience is that Toyota provides customers with "funny" (too high) invoice numbers. Nevertheless, by my calculation, you are purchasing the car for about $50 under invoice. I think that is very good. I would be very happy if I could get that. You are in California, right? Whereabouts?

Also, what is the $2000 rebate? DO you know anything about it? I haven't seen anything on incentives for 2009s.

I think you are doing great. Good luck.
    Yes, I realized that Edmund shows $24,516 as invoice, but the dealer read out the invoice line items and it had additional items like advertising fees, etc.. which I think makes it more than the Edmund's invoice.
    I'm in California bay area.
    Regarding the $2000 rebate, I think its actually dealer cash incentive. Some 2009 models do have incentives ($500 for base, $1000 for sport, $2000 for limited) although certain packages are excluded. Edmunds does show the details in TMV pricing report page in the Incentives row at the end.

For e.g, for the Limited model it shows:

$2000 Cash to Dealer start: 12/02/2008 end: 01/05/2009
    Restrictions $2000 Dealer Cash is available on a new 2009 RAV4 2WD Limited 4-cyl (model #4450) NOT equipped with options QY and TH.
    Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.
    BTW, I wanted to get one with Third Row seats (TH) but since it is excluded from the incentive, I had to go for one without the TH.