Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vliu13vliu13 Member Posts: 33
    Yes that is the one. Are you test driving it today? If you are, let me know if the engine seem okay with you. Let it warm up first, and then press fairly hard on the accelerator.

If I tell the to give me the 30 day temp, will they still charge me a fee?
  • ravanipravanip Member Posts: 25
    Hi
    I am interested in buying 2009 Rav4 Sport/Limited 4*4 V4 in VA/MD/DC area.
    What is the good price for the Vehicle?

Anyone bought it recently can help me out here.
    Specially in DC Metro area, I would like to know the dealership name also.
    I live in rockville MD.

Thanks in advance
  • mazda626atxmazda626atx Member Posts: 227
    I just got off the phone with Hudson . He offered me the car for $27,700 plus $205 for 2 year registration plus $275 documentation fee which is a scam .

Having said that $27,700 is $738 less than my other dealer wants for the car pre tax etc . The other dealer who wants $738 more only wants $227.50 registration and no documentation fee.

Hudsons OTD price is $30.499.88 Queensboros is $31,046.10 OTD for the exact same car which they have to get from someone, ( Prolly Hudson )

Bottom line is that Hudson including the documentation scam is $546.22 cheaper if they honor that price, than Queensboro Toyota

I got the scoop on this exact car. It was swapped out from a Smith town Long Island dealer to Hudson for I have no idea what reason .

If the car doesnt drive well for any reason I would not be interested in it.

Make your own decision, but remember I test drove one in November that accelerated beautifully

Good luck and let me know what you do
    Fitzmall in your area has a good online site , info, good prices and a good reputation.

http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

I wished I lived closer to them.

Let us know how you make out . Info is the lifeline of this forum
  • OSORA335G10OSORA335G10 Member Posts: 1
    I just got quoted a price from a dealer in Alex VA -- $28,738 for a V6 AWD, with leather, premium audio, integrated back up camera, 8 way power driver's seat, moonroof and heated seats.
    Too vaugue without the options names, and the model name .Its prolly the LIMITED but let us know.
    Is it Limited with BC FE QY ?

If thats it without MF CF-R GN WL and TO its really overpriced.

If it has those options $28,400 is high but not totally unreasonable.
    Go to this link and familiarize youreself with the options so we can see exactly what you are saying

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2009/index.html
    For now, the RAV4 models sold in North America are produced in Toyota's Tahara, Aichi, Japan assembly plant. However, when Toyota's Woodstock, Ontario, Canada assembly plant comes online in 2008, models sold in North America will be assembled exclusively there.

Did anyone know this / I was looking for VIN method of checking where and where cars are builtand found this out .
    Scary news that no saleperson told me ?
  • andy67andy67 Member Posts: 14
    Yeah that was pretty sweet! I wasn't gonna be ugly to them but they honored it without any arguments so that was awesome.

I traded in a 1992 manual Honda Accord with 223,000 miles on it and AC not working. I wish I had sold it myself too but this was a little easier and I am not sure how much more I could have gotten if I would have found someone to buy that. (KBB value for fair condition is $425 for trade-in and $800 for pvt party).

The 3rd row seat is great, I piled up people from office last friday for lunch and 7 of us went comfortably and I asked the girls who were sitting in the back and they said they could have ridden in it for a couple of hours. Then we again tested it on some friends on Saturday and they said it was fine to ride as well. However, it is NOT meant for LONG trips (>2hrs) or TALL and BIG people.

We had a similar experience that almost all dealers kinda wanted to talk us out of the 3rd row seating and sometimes were not too politically correct in how they said it. I think they did not have that may cars on lot and wanted to sell what was on the lot first. Since now almost all models are coming with it there sales pitch might change on it to how great it is.

I may have paid some for the learning experience too as this being the first new car I got from a dealer. But overall, I think I am fairly happy with the deal and the fact that I did not have to travel too far to do that so if I have to go back to the dealer for anything I can just go. For example, I got a due bill for rebuffing a scratch on side and I would not want to travel 2 hours to get that done.
    I am leaning towards getting that car. They said they will split (50/50) the doc fee of $275 with me. I have to remember to say NO to all the "sweet" extra options they will offer me. Thanks for your help.
    Did it drive better than you first said?
    Maybe you can use the fact that the swapped it out from the Smithtown L. I. dealer as leverage.

Does it have a lot of miles on it ?

Also does anyone know anything abut whether it is made in Japan or Canada now.

Congrats if you get it.
    I didn't test drive the car a second time. The mileage is around 95 from the first time I drove it. I think the engine should be the same since it is new? I will test drive it again when I get there (probably on friday night). Its going to be a pain getting there after work (subway, NJ train, walk to dealer).

What I would for this car... :)
    FITZMALL in Maryland said salesperson would pick me up at train station Ask them to send someone to pick you up.
    Where do you live. I am in manhattan
  • TsarTsar Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 4cyl 4wd 2009 RAV4 and learnt today that Toyota is now offering a $500 cashback? This has been verified by a number of dealers but I can't seem to find any information on dealer incentives other than a ConsumerReports pricing from a few days ago that lists the DLR incentive at a shade under $600. Yet Edmunds shows no DLR incentives. Any clues? I need to get my math right before I start negotiating tomorrow.

Also, if anybody recently bought with similar specs, what did it cost you?

thanks in advance ...
    I live in Brooklyn, but work in midtown manhattan. I will ask them to pick me up at the station. Thanks for the tip.

Any luck in finding your car?
    Actually the car you found is exactly what I wanted.
    But since you found it first it would not be right to go buy it out from under you. I found one without the BC MF CF-R ( backup Camera) and made them an offer using the Hudson one as a reference . THe MF CF_R can be added later .

The hudson one has a MSRP of 30,858. This one has a MSRP of $30,075 so I reduced it by $550 ( approx invoice versus MSRP) and bid 27,200 for this one .
    The sales manager got on the phone and told me if you get that car for that price $27,750 he wants me to prove it to him and he will match the price for the one that I want. He says at $27,200 for the car I want he is looseing money. I dont believe that and secondly I dont care. I am not his partner. People loose money all the time in this present economy I told him and companys are going out of business and firing people every day

So I am waiting for you to get yours, and then maybe you can do me a favor and fax the Bill of Sale to where I am looking.
    Do not let them sell you any other options etc. Also sharing a $275 BS ducumentation fee you should tell them is like giving the a $137 tip for picking you up. Stick to your guns .

Did you notice what I mentioned about the car being swapped out from Smithtown L.I. dealer ?

If you tell them that , they will think this guy really did his research and where did he find that out ? The more you know the better off you are IMHO

I am counting on you . Let me know :)
    His email:

Price of the vehicle is $27,840.00, Motor Vehicle is $205.00, New York Tax is $2,331.60, Title is $138.00. Your Total is $30,514.60.

I will most likely take it at this price.

Thanks for not buying this car before me, even though technically you did direct me to this dealer.

The dealer just responded to me saying their "sister store Westbury Toyota and it was a swap car. They needed a car we had and we needed a Rav4 built this way for our inventory. at the time we didnt have anything else like this one."
    I guess its sounds legit enough.

That kind of tip, they should pick me up at work.
    I will send you the bill of sale as soon as I can. The least I can do for you.
    Got my car! I paid OTD price of $30,131.32. They actually waived the fees.
    Congrats on getting your new car. I have Emailed a dealer with a similar car ( really not as well equipped) what has transpired with your deal .
    I may need to contact you if they want you to fax a copy of your bill to them.
    Please stay in touch and we can figure out a way to speak,(Email or something) to follow up on you helping me get my deal
    Thx
    Peter :)
  • KamryKamry Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for a price on a 2009 V6 Rav 4, leather, moonroof, extra tow pkg.,backup camera, I think everything except the navigation system. Can you help me out. Thanks in advance.
    Anywhere between $27,800 and $24,400 plus tax title license etc Read back a few pages and learn a little .
    Go to Fitzmall
    http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp
    for a reference point also Edmunds .com

pricing for 2009 Rav4 .
    Rav come in Base Sport and Limited editions. Need more info
  • reolandreoland Member Posts: 4
    If somebody could please help me.

I just recently got a quote for a 09 RAV4 V6 4x2 Sport for $29,397.64 with the LA, QX, TO, and BC packages. This price includes all taxes and fees.

Now I checked Edmunds total Invoice and total TMV which is $26,715 and $27,255 respectively. Just not sure if this include TTL.

Can anybody tell me if this is a good price? I live in San Bernardino CA so I know my tax is high 7.75% .

Please respond if you had the same situation or have an idea on what a good price for this should be.

Thanks in advance...
  • KamryKamry Member Posts: 18
    This price is for an 09 Rav 4 Limited, extra tow package,back up camera,moonroof,leather heated seats, I think everything but the Navigation system,$28,100.00.plus tax plates. Reasonable price? I am trying real hard to pull the trigger, what do you think about the price? Thanks.
    I would suggest $200-300 over invoice for everyone who wants the 2009 RAV4. This does not include TTL.GOOD LUCK!
    $200-$300 Over invoice??
    Does that include the rebate they offer???

One more Question I have for you is does the FitzMall reduces their prices from what they show online?
    Or no negotiation with them???
    The rebate will not be valid in case of the $200-300 over invoice. I believe the rebate is from the MRSP price, which would make it higher than the price I suggested.

Fitzmall'ss prices most likely can be negotiated (but I havent tried). There are two options for either buying it at the price or naming your price (if they accept).
    Vliu
    I am confused ?
    You said in an earlier post:

"Got my car! I paid OTD price of $30,131.32. They actually waived the fees."

The dealers invoice for the $30848 MSRP is $28,437.
    They all say to ignore the Edmunds invoice. I have an offer of $100 under this invoice that I beleive is not a bait and switch offer plus TTLD from one dealer whom I am going to see in 2 hours.

I also have an offer of $450 under invoice that I am not certain is a real, not a BS offer that I will look at friday .

VLIU did you buy the car from Hudson or not ??
    I bought the car from Hudson for OTD $30,131.32. The confusing part is the breakdown, which I dont completely understand. I dealt with three guys that day, one guy had a different price from the other two.

The first guy told me that the fees were waived and it will be car price plus tax. He must have been confused with another customer. He wrote down the price on paper ($30,131.32).

The second guy (internet salesperson) had the fees added to the price, but the title fee was half ($138) totaling my previous internet quote $30,417.06.

Now the finance guy, who drew up the bill of sale, has a different breakdown of the price. His calculation is as follows: $27,359 for the car, plus tax $2,291.32, registeration fee of $10, title fee of $195, net trade-in of $276 (not sure where that came from but it lowered the price, so why not), cash down of $3,500 with $26,631.32 balance. That totaled $30,131.32.

The final price of the car is $30,131.32.

Hope this helps and not confuse you.
  • reolandreoland Member Posts: 4
    What options do you have on your car?
    Well its not 100% clear but since I had not heard from you I went out and bought the MSRP $30,929 RAV 4 V5 with BC CF-R FE MF QY TO AND WL ) WHEEL LOCKS for $250 below invoice which is $28,437 plus he threw in the wheel locks .
    So my final price was $28,187 plus tax $2360.66 and $217.50 for an OTD price of $30,765.16.
    I would not say it was a rock bottom price but $250 below their invoice plus WHEEL LOCKS thrown in was fair for a car that I drove and bought on the spot , as opposed to giving a dealer $$ and waiting for them to grab the car elsewhere.
    Did you trade something in on it? I did not .Did you get the car permanent plates and all yet ?
    For me,bottom line $30765.16 OTD N.Y.STATE WITH BRAND NEW LICENSE PLATES

Congrats to both of us :)

P.S. I got the black with sand beige interior I like the look
    Congrats! The black and sand beige probably looks better.

I didnt trade in anything. They said the license plates will take one or two weeks.
    I am taking the car to the dealer near me because the tire pressure warning light is on. It was like that one I got it. Hopefully its nothing big.

I will buy the wheel locks from the dealer, I have a 10% coupon, woohoo!

Did the dealer try to sell you the tire program? Its $350 for 5 years. I didnt take it.
    Are you getting an alarm system? I am getting the Viper 5901.
    The options I have on my car (2009 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD) are Extra value package#1, back up camera, tow package, mudguards, and carpets and mats.
  • jns1jns1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any idea on how much of a discount I could expect on a new 08 at this point?

I've been looking at 09 Rav4 Sports 4cyl 4whd with QV package and mats + destination for $23,950 (MSRP 26014)

Then an 08 showed up. Apparently sitting around and the person's financing fell thru and it been tied up. Anyway they have quoted this at $23,000
    With the same features.

I keep my cars for ~10 years so the depreciation doesn't bother me much, just looking for the best deal. Thoughts? Anything else I should be concerned about?
    Thanks!
    i BOUGHT MY CAR YESTERDAY AS i SAID FOR $250 UNDER THE DEALERS NOT THE DDMUNDS INVOICE. MY DEALER THREW IN WHELL LOCKS WHICH ARE AN msrp $81 OPTION
    THE DEALERS HAVE THEIR OWN INVOICE AND IF THEY PRINT IT OUT FOR YOU I THINK $300 TO $600 UNDER INVOICE IZ A PRICE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THE RAV 4 V6 WITH

BC TO FE QY MF CF-R AND WL. I PAID $28,187 ON AN INVOICE OF $28,507 AND MSRP OF $30,929

sorry I just saw the caps
    I dont think there is any rebate for 2009 Rav4 Am I correct?

the Dealer Invoice was lower than Edmunds invoice or the otherway?

Thanks
    I hope you really dont take the 2008 car. But anyway, I suggest $22,000 before TTL. They need to get rid of that car badly. Also check for rebates on 2008 (they should have it). I suggest going for the 2009 car for $23,500 before TTL.
  • coolshamscoolshams Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I am from New Jersey & I am looking to buy a 2008 or 2009 Toyota Rav4 (Base, 4 cyln, 4WD).
    Does anyone know of any promotions going on for the same at any of NJ/Ny dealerships?Also what price range should i be looking for from the dealer?
    The dealers invoice was almost the same. The edmonds invoice with FE BC TO AND QY WAS $28,062 while the dealers invoice was $28,437 but had CF-R and MF which prolly costs around $275 or so.

So add $275 to the Edmonds and you wind up with $28,377 instead of dealers $28,437.

So I got 28,437 plus Wheel locks cost of $81 making it $28,500 approx due to 81 is MSRP not invoice price , and I got that car for $28,187 pre TTLD for an approx $313 below dealers , not edmonds invoice .

So I would say that anywhere between $200- $500 under dealers invoice is a decent deal , plus Tax and TITLE/ LICENSE that cost $217.60 in NYC
    Can I be any clearer ?
    If it has the Extra Value package or the QY BC TO FE MF CF-R or even forget the last 2 ptions $28,100 plus TTLD is a FAIR price , not a great price but not a bad price either.
    I had dealers that wanted $100 over invoice and dealers athat would not sell below invoice so your price should be below dealers invoice , if they dont try to scam you with hidden fees later , which they love to do.
    I said NO TO ALL OTHER FEES except TTLD
    Look at what I just paid yesterday Thats in line with my price
  • jns1jns1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the price/feedback.
    What is your main objection to the 2008 at $22K?
    Is it something more than not a good enough price?

I got a story that the dealer wouldn't be able to collect incentives on this car because of the way it fell thru before. I don't really consider that my problem, as I just want it discounted.
    The warranty would not start until I take ownership.
    Like I said, depreciation isn't that big of an issue given the length of time I keep my cars.
    Thanks again!
    Just to remind you that 2010 cars are just around the corner (okay, around 6-7 months). But if you really dont care about the year of the car, then by all means. Remember to stand strong, its a buyers market. Good luck!
  • akandrewsakandrews Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am shopping for a 2009 V6 FWD LTD
    I have gotten a couple of quotes that have
    "Preferred Accessory Package" or a "Preferred Premium Accessory Package" but that don't tell what that includes

I know I saw this SOMEwhere in all my hunting on the 'net, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know what this includes?

Thanks for your help
  • epmorrisepmorris Member Posts: 4
    Can someone tell me the invoice for a RAV4 limited AWD with Nav and the RAV4 limited 4 cylinder with nav?
  • epmorrisepmorris Member Posts: 4
    To clarify my question:

I would like to know the dealer invoice for a RAV 4 Limited AWD with V6 and package #2 with navigation option.

Also I would like to know (if anybody has this information) the dealer invoice of a RAV4 similar to above with 4 cylinder engine.
  • nxphamnxpham Member Posts: 13
    I can't make up my mind on the RAV4, CR-V, or Rogue so I'm going to purchase whichever car I can get the best deal on. Anyways, here's the one I have for the RAV4. What do you guys & gals think?

2008 Limited AWD
    4-cyl
    Blizzard Pearl (+$220 for special color)
    Leather seats
    Heated front seats
    Moonroof
    JBL premium sound
    Daytime running lights
    5-piece floor & cargo mats
    Auto-dimming mirror
    Mudguards
    Rear bumper applique

MSRP: $29893
    Invoice: $27209

Discounts: $2K manufacturer, $500 military from TFS, $400 from TFS

Selling price: $23809 ($6084 below MSRP; $3400 below invoice)

I know the 2008 engine is different than the 2009. Should I buy a 2009 instead just for that difference? This car is loaded with more than I wanted/needed, but it's the only 2008 in white that they have.
    Roll up your sleeves and do what everyone else did .
    This is a site to assist, not do all your work for you.

Start here

I got roughly $400 under invoice , so you are getting $3000 more for a year old car.

Compare Kelly Blue book and see how fast values of older Rav 4s drop. Remember the 2010 is coming out in 4-5 months so your car will be 2 years old very soon.

If you keep it a long time it doesnt matter as much,so I guess thats an important thing to consider IMHO.

Good Luck whatever you decide ,
  • susanjeansusanjean Member Posts: 5
    I am still trying to make up my mind about whether to buy a Rav4 or CR-V. I like the way the Rav4 handles, and I think I can get a better bargain from Toyota. But I like the CR-V EX options and have been very pleased with my current Honda--10 years old.

Here are the basic numbers. (I'm shopping in PA.) Would appreciate hearing others' thoughts and recent shopping experience.

RAV4 2009 4wd Basic model: $21,900 (inc. destination but not taxes and fees)

CR-V 2009 EX 4wd:$22,500 (inc. destination but not taxes and fees).

Thanks
  • magoonmagoon Member Posts: 32
    If you are shopping the basic RAV4 versus the CRV EX, I would go for the CRV. As you noted, the CRV EX has a few more niceties than the lower RAV. We are replacing our 2002 CRV EX with a 2009 RAV4 Sport V6.......if Toyota will build our order as requested. Quite simply, Honda has lost us after 20 years due to bad design.

According to the website, the Sport can be built in Pacific Blue with the Appearance Package but none exist in the US. Our dealer is making an attempt to either get it into production through special order or changing an available allocation slot. If so, we should have a rare unit. If not, we'll hold on to the CRV as silver, red, black, gray just aren't that interesting to us.

BTW, we are also in PA.
  • macwellmacwell Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I have found a 09 RAV4 and the dealer has quoted it at Edmunds invoice. Also, its the only RAV4 I found with certain specific features I want.

Note - This one is located outside my local dealer area, local dealer would not match invoice price.

I am wondering, is it possible to get a 09 RAV4 under Edmunds
    invoice right now with the bad auto economy news? Should I push under
    invoice or take it at invoice?

The other side of it, I have a new 08 sedan I plan to trade-in
    for the RAV4 (I need a SUV right now). So I know I will be taking
    a hit on the trade-in. I have not told the dealer about my
    trade-in let, trying to get the lowest price on the RAv4 set first.

P.S. - Located in the SouthEast Toyota region.

Any thoughts or feedback would be great.
    Thanks to everyone!
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    There is never any harm in trying to do better, but let me tell you my experience. After searching for about a month, we paid about $500 over true, Edmunds invoice for our '09 RAV. We wanted a particular color, I4, Limited, with 4wd. With that level of specificity, there were very few to choose from, and we searched over five Western states, including California. We still ended up paying for what I like to call the ticky-tacky options we didn't want. Our area (Oregon) does not seem to be very competitive in terms of Toyota dealers being aggressive. Seattle did not seem much better, so we ended up paying the price because we wanted the car. We also wanted it the way we wanted it instead of getting a color we didn't want or not having the equipment we did.

It helps that you quote the Edmunds price. I think there are people who believe they get their Toyota under invoice when they use the dealer-provided "invoice" figure, which I believe to be inflated. I'm not saying it's impossible to get one under true invoice, but I sure couldn't. It might depend on the local or regional market.

I am very happy with our RAV. In my case, getting what we wanted when we wanted (except for having to search for a month) was worth not getting the absolute best deal. By the way, how is the one you want equipped?