Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• seminolegalseminolegal Member Posts: 4
    It's a special Toyota deal for March.
  • fitmissfitmiss Member Posts: 13
    I don't see any ads for this, only reduced pricing. Anyone else?

I'm also looking for the best price on a 2009 Rav 4 V6 limited as follows:

Limited Extra Value Pkg 1 with Additional Options

Rav 4 5 piece Floor Mats
    Mudguards
    Hood protector
    Cargo Tray

I have been reading and have a good idea about fair pricing. If anyone can be of help, it is appreciated. I live in N. NJ where there doesn't seem to be a 500.00 rebate. However, my Father lives in PA where there is a rebate so I might go there to buy. I'm all for whomever gives me the best price.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • abctlabctl Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i'm a first time car buyer and i'm looking for a limited 2009 model with Nav. I got a quote from a dealer for $29,290 (tax and fee not incl.) How much should i bargain down or rather, what's the norm price? I live in NY metro area. In addition, which dealer should i go to get the best price? Thank you in advance for your input.
  • mazda626atxmazda626atx Member Posts: 227
    Penn Toyota on Long Island is where I bought mine I paid $28, 135 with everything aside from NAv I had the QY instead of QZ package but also wheel locks , Cargo mats and mat combo, Cargo net , TO and backup camera . I think your price is high IMHO .
    Is the QZ $1000 more than the QY and do you have the TO BC CFR MF AND WL options your price . If you have then all, and the invoice difference bewteen QZ and Qy according to Edmunds is $1000 then it is a fair price .
    If not , then its not
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    I am getting following quote for Limited RAV4, 4X2, 4 Cyl with QY package. We do have 750 rebate in my area. OTD price includes that rebate. Is this good price? How much should be my offer?

$27290 Dealer's MSRP

$26,500 Out the Door Price (includes tax, ttl etc..)
  • seminolegalseminolegal Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for advices and tips! Just got my new 2008 Base Rav 4. It might not be the best deal, but we had a great experience with Tifton Toyota (GA).
    It's the color that we want (Savannah Metallic - well we just don't want red, black and white... and it's hard to find colors other than that in GA), 0% APR financing for 36 months and paid $23678 in total. Everything went very smoothly and done within an hour!
  • andy67andy67 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Seminolegal,
    Congrats on the RAV4! Could you provide more details on what options you got?
    Enjoy the car!!
  • KamryKamry Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2009 Rav 4 V6 Limited with everything but Navigation (including the rubber mats, + the carpeted mats, mud guards etc.) for $28,187.00 + tax plates.Out the door $30,0??.00. I live in Pa.I hope this helps.If you want the dealer let me know. Good luck.
    Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the info. Where in PA did you purchase your V6? What extras did you get besides the mats, and mudguards? Did you get a 500.00 rebate? I have family in PA and I might end up purchasing there as well for various reasons. Thanks again for the info.
    Congrats on your new car. I know this is off topic but when you turn your steering wheel extreme left and right while standing , do you feel a thump at the ends.
    There is a Technical Service bulletin on these cars and I want to see if all the new ones feel like mine?
    I am afraid that down the road I might have to have the steering column replaced as per T-SB0318-08.
    Sorry for off topic
    Hey your dealer is a copycat. LOL
    Thats EXACTLY the price I paid for my car $28,187 pre TTLD with the same stuff. YOU prolly got the QY package with the JBL Radio leather etc .
    MY guy threw in wheel locks .
    Can I ask a favor I am asking of all 2009 Limited V6 owners ?

I got my Rav V6 a month ago and I am concerned about a steering wheel knock/clunk issue on the older models, that did not get a recall, only a TSB so it may be present in the 2009s also.

When I am standing and turn my wheel extreme left or right I get a slight thump at the ends. Does your car do this also??

I am used to rear wheel drive cars and my 93 Benz is very smooth when I turn the wheel lock to lock. My wifes Front wheel drive Mazda has a power steering squeel when I turn wheel lock to lock , but the RAv has electronic power assist not hydraualic.

It is not a big deal at the moment (1000 ) miles , but I want to know if this is how all the new V6s feel .

Thanks in advance for taking the time to check !
    P. S. the T-SB is 0318-08 if anyone encounters this issue
  • vliu13vliu13 Member Posts: 33
    why are u standing and turning the wheel? I will try it during the weekend.
    I have a clicking sound when I turn the wheel left, but I think it is because of the Alarm installer.
  • magoonmagoon Member Posts: 32
    Where in PA did you purchase your V6? What extras did you get besides the mats, and mudguards? Did you get a 500.00 rebate? I have family in PA and I might end up purchasing there as well for various reasons. Thanks again for the info.

Just bought a Sport V6 for $500 under invoice (invoice before the rebate) in PA. Depending where your family is located, check out Fitzmall.
    If I buy in PA, it will be in the Phila. area. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for the following:
    RAV 4 V6 Limited
    Color: Blizzard Pearl
    Interior: Ash
    QY Package without Nav
    Mats
    Mudguards
    Cargo Tray
    Wheel Locks

I see that 2 people have gotten it for 28, 187.00. How much more should I pay for the premium color (Blizzard White)?
  • cutiepicutiepi Member Posts: 1
    I'm a newbie when it comes to cars, this is my first car!!! Is this a reasonable price for a Toyota Rav4 Sports. I feel like this is too much, how much do you think I should ask for?

2009 Toyota RAV4
    Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
    QX Sport Extra Value Package

Sale Price: $23,600 (includes Destination Fee) + everything below = $25,898

NOT INCLUDED:
    sales tax: 7%
    etch fee $189
    title $20 lineholder or $0 no lienholder
    tags: $231 for 4 year registration [NJ Mandatory] or $24.50 to transfer plates
    tire recycling fee: $7.50 [NJ Mandatory]
    document fee $199
    I see that Fitzmall wants $28,162.00 for a blizzard white V6 RAV 4 Limited with mudguards and mats. My dealer is off by only a few hundred dollars but he has included a TDA (which I have determined is Toyota Dealer Advertising). Is this negotiable? Why do I have to pay 458.00 for this?

Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    He quoted it that way to make his quote seem closer to Fitz..

In reality, it looks like he is a few hundred + $458 higher...

Focus on the total price... If you like his price at a number that is $500 lower than what he's quoted, tell him that's what it will take to close the deal. How he breaks it down is of no consequence.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well - I guess that is simple reasoning. Acually, Fitzmall's internet price is 27,792.00 total price without tax, tags.... My dealer's total price so far is 28, 564. We are definitely off by several hundred dollars. Since I really don't want to travel too far, I'm willing to pay a little more but not 700.00 + more. So you're right, he needs to come down at least 500.00. This should be fun.
    You should use Fitz as a reference point. But in NYC area I was able to match Fitz price at at least 2 dealers and buy at the same price as Fitz at my dealer . PAy no $458 advertising blah blah blah .

Match Fitz price before you buy IMHO
    You were able to match the Internet price? If so, that is my goal! I'm not really in a rush as my present vehicle is in excellent running condition but I'd like an SUV to support my lifestyle. So I've got time to haggle.

Thanks for your help and encouragement!
    Guys,

I am in a different region (midwest) so I can't really buy the car from Fitzmall but I was wondering if Fitzmall's Interent prices are good deal. Has people are getting better deals than Fitzmall's Internet price?

Should I aim that price when i go to my local delear?
  • yippee8999yippee8999 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in VA. I got the same model with a few options extra value pkg, mats, for $21,800. I went around and this was the best deal so you did better than me.
  • juancitowjuancitow Member Posts: 13
    Etch fees and Doc fees are BS. Don't pay for them. Your goal should be to purchase the vehicle for invoice or below plus tax, title and tags. Look at Fitzmall and compare prices. Ask your dealer to match Fitzmall. Good luck. ;)
  • ravanipravanip Member Posts: 25
    I see here all are ref. to FitzMall for Price.
    Did anyone buy from FitzMall?
    Do they stick to their Internet price or you can bargain with them for couple of hundreds$$.
    I am wondering about the same thing. What should we shoot for? FitzMall's price or FitzMall price - X hundred dollars?
  • tnboytnboy Member Posts: 11
    Anything added to the price over Toyota's MSRP is pure additional dealer profit 99% of the time (unless it's a dealer-installed Toyota option, such as step bars, which don't generally come from the factory) & (theoretically) should not be paid. However, sometimes you just can't find a dealer that doesn't include "doc" (documentation) fees of some amount. If that's the case, & they won't budge on it, just find the dealer with the lowest doc fees & eat it. For example, when I shopped in 2007 for a 2008 Tacoma, I found a dealer in Asheville, NC (Jim Barkley, & highly recommended, by the way) that added only $99 for the doc fee, which was much less than any other Toyota dealer within 200 miles. Plus, they discounted off the MSRP while others were asking sticker or close to it. Anyway, if a dealer insists on any add-ons, calling them advertising fees, dealer prep fees, or whatever, that's pure additional dealer profit & should not be paid. Unfortunately, some folks in more remote areas are captive customers &, unless they are willing to travel a few hours, must cough up the extra cash for the BS. Also, Edmunds here is a great indicator of what others are paying in your area. And be double-sure to check all the current incentives. Be firm & go beat those guys!
  • loud2378loud2378 Member Posts: 2
    I'm comparing the invoice the dealer told me and the invoice edmunds, aol, and cars.com all provide. The dealer told me invoice was $28690 with QY, BC, TO, and 5pc floormats. However, all the websites showed $28188. Where is the discrepancy?

I live in the bay area and the out-the-door price I got is $31,210. Is this a fair deal?

I'm trying to close one soon before the taxes here go up in April 1st. I would appreciate a quick response.

Thanks.
    I have posted this info before but here goes again. I purchased a 2009 Rav 4 V6 Limited with everything but navigation, with 5 piece mats, winter mats, mud guard, exhaust tip, leather and heated seats, moonroof the works for $28,187.00, out the door $30,0??.00. I am sure the dealer still made a decent profit. I live in PA and made my purchase in mid Feb. Hope this helps. Keep in mind Toyota should now have an incentive for the 09's which I did not have. Good luck.
    loud2378,
    Can you say where in PA you purchased your RAV 4? Dealer?

Thanks.
  • vliu13vliu13 Member Posts: 33
    I just checked my car. I don't hear or feel or thump when I turn my wheel to the extreme left or right.
  • loud2378loud2378 Member Posts: 2
    fitmiss,

I have not purchased it yet and I live in CA. The dealer's name is Piercey Toyota.
    Kenny Ross Toyota. Let me know if you are going to make a purchase. I contacted many dealers and they were the best price. Good luck.
    I purchased the Rav 4 in February no rebates were offered at that time. The dealer in PA is Kenny Ross Toyota. Good Luck. Let me know if you want the sales person's name.
  • halishalis Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for V6 Limited with Extra Value Package 1 (leather, moonfoof, etc). Any suggestions as to where best prices in Seattle area may be and what I should be able to find one for? I've done some shopping for the 4 cyl model and had a few dealers say around $26,300. I don't want to pay more than $27 for a V6, and I'm hoping to get it closer to what I was quoted for the 4. Those quotes I received were the first prices mentioned from these dealers, including the March $500 rebate, and with no negotiations. So I'm thinking I can do even better. Also, does anyone have an idea as to whether incentives/rebates will improve during the next month or two? Thanks.
  • koco83koco83 Member Posts: 4
    I have been researching the sport v6 and was quoted from the dealers $26,763 before T+T. The one dealer said I could only get this model with the run flats. A few questions to the forum:
    1. Is is true I can only get v6 sport with run flats?
    2. How much lower can I get this price down?
    3. Anyone have a toyota dealership in NJ/PA area they recommend?

Thanks.
  • yuxiaohongyuxiaohong Member Posts: 9
    On Mar 28, I just purchased 2009 RAV4 base model 4WD, 4 cyl without the third row but with options FE (50 state emissions) and QV (base model Extra Value Package); one time free oil change; and life-time car wash. The OTD price is $23671. The car price is $22436 without taking off $500 rebate. I am in the 7% tax rate region. The TTL+document fee is $165.25. Is it a good deal?
    Is it 4cyl, 4WD?
    Thanks
  • raqqasaraqqasa Member Posts: 1
    After intense shopping around, a very negative experience with Fred Anderson Toyota of Sanford (I would not recommend this dealership to anyone and will happily give anyone the details if they PM me) ...

I finally bought a V6 Sport 4wd from Leith Toyota in Raleigh, NC ... Its got the Sport Appearance package, towing prep package, floor mats, and the extra value package.

Paid 26,800 out the door. If anyone wants the salesperson please PM me.

The Run Flats come in the Sport Appearance package and almost all the V6 Sports have that package on the car.
    1. Is is true I can only get v6 sport with run flats?

If you want the Sport Appearance Package.......yes. If you don't, then you can get one without the run flats.

2. How much lower can I get this price down?

I recently bough a Sport V6 for $500 below invoice after the $500 rebate.

3. Anyone have a toyota dealership in NJ/PA area they recommend?

I price quoted several dealers in central PA and most came back a few hundred over invoice before negotiation and trade considerations.
    The Run Flats come in the Sport Appearance package and almost all the V6 Sports have that package on the car.

Most, but not all:

http://www.performancetoyotapa.com/profile.asp?VIN=2T3BK32VX9W001145&xMake=&Filt- - erMake=0&zip=&distance=

Check out the various internet shopping sites as there are dealers that list individual inventory. I noticed several V6 Sports without the Appearance Package when I was shopping.
  • eljatuleljatul Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

I keep checking this thread regularly and I see that people are usually getting their RAV4 about $500 under invoice price. I'm in the Portland, OR area and so far contacted 2 dealers and offered $500 under invoice and they basically reacted as I'm crazy or somewhat. :) My question for you is when you refer to invoice are you using the invoice that you see in edmunds.com? As expected dealers want me to pay also for their ads and other fees saying that they are part of the invoice....

I'm looking for a 2009 RAV4 Limited 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A) with QY Extra Value Package #1. MSRP is $28,460 and invoice $26,157. I offered something like $25.500 and so far no luck. It has been like a month and I don't see them coming back to me lowering their prices. Any ideas?

Tks
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    I'm in southern Oregon and I "worked with" dealers throughout Oregon and some in Seattle. I had the same experience as you are having. When I talk about invoice price, I mean the true invoice price, verifiable on Edmunds and in other places--NOT the phony invoice price the dealers claim and email you. Also, my costs included no processing fees, document fees, or whatever else they might want to call them.

We tried for months to get to true invoice price and were unable to do it. Many times, we were given a "take it or leave it" price. Several times we countered and never got a reply. Overall, it was a very unpleasant experience. We eventually purchased the RAV you described, but with backup camera and four or five other options we did not want (exhaust tips, door sill enhancements [!!], and whatever else). We were pretty specific in terms of what we wanted, including both interior and exterior color--no substitutions, so we eventually just took the best price we were able to negotiate, which was probably about $400 over invoice. I never added up the exact costs of the various extra options we didn't want, but I suspect they would have brought the invoice to about $26,600. Even at that, I think there were two more options (cargo net and something else) that were not even invoiced anywhere, so we got those for free. We paid $27,000--no doc fees, nothing else but license and title, which was something around $45.

If I had to do it again, I may well have have given up and gone with my second choice. My suggestions to you--and take them for what they may be worth from someone who was not real successful at the process--would be to stick to a price you are willing to pay, maybe invoice, $100 over, whatever it is. Then contact a couple dealers that seem like they actually want to sell you the car and talk to them or go in, in person, ready to finalize a deal--and ready to walk out, too.

I just checked my sticker, and the MSRP was $28,992 (after subtracting out the $2000 "discount" for the extra value package). Don't get me wrong, I totally love the car. Love the size, spaciousness of the interior, peppy engine, and more. At this time, I feel pretty ambivalent about whether I would ever buy a Toyota again, not because of the vehicle, but because of the arrogance of the company (perhaps) and the dealers--and I'm not even mentioning our local dealers in southern Oregon. Very happy with the car, though.

If I can share any more that might help, let me know. This was in January, and there were no rebates. We got the car we wanted for ski season, even though we paid $400-$500 more than we planned. Good luck.
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    In order to secure the best deal possible, you need to have the price you want to pay set and be ready to buy if that price is met. But don't start there, start even lower. They won't accept it, so make it seem like you are willing to meet them "half-way" (which would be the price you want to pay anyway). But from my experience, this doesn't work over email, they don't think you are serious and are only using their quote for leverage against another dealer, but if you go into the showroom and then make it known that you are ready to buy today, they know you aren't just using them for a quote and will work harder. Negotiate towards the price you want minus $500, and if they don't get near there, say "Thanks for your time, but we won't be able to do business together". You'll be surprised at how quickly their attitude changes. But this will only work if they see that you are serious. If they think you are just "looking" you won't get their best deal.
  • eljatuleljatul Member Posts: 3
    Good feedback. I was mainly using email to get their best price. In the past that worked fine with Hyundai dealers and I got excellent prices. Toyota dealers seem to be another breed like kkrtrek said in his post.

Tks,
  • santoshmanyasantoshmanya Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    On Mar 30, I had purchased 2009 RAV4 base model 2WD, 4 cyl without the third row but with options FE (50 state emissions) and QV (base model Extra Value Package with Mud Guards); The OTD price is $22200. I am from NJ(7% tax rate) .
  • koco83koco83 Member Posts: 4
    What dealership in NJ did you go to?
  • greggster59greggster59 Member Posts: 3
    Very well put, orangeman99.

The last three car buying experiences we had ended well because our position was much stronger since we were able to say that if we got our price we would buy THAT day. I have found that the dealer works a lot harder to accomodate a buyer once they believe the buyer is serious. Dealers will not lower their guard (or prices) if they think you are going to get up at the end of the session and say you'll get back to them. The "buy today" approach makes for the most satisfactory car buying experience for both sides in our experience. This means you must be well prepared and know what exact packages the dealer is offering so you don't wind up negotiating for options that are not available. I would also recommend working with a more experienced sales person as they tend to be less worried about making their nut then in moving the car out the door.
    Hi, Santoshmanya:

Thanks for your reply. If assuming that RAV4 Base 4WD Model is $1000 higher than its FWD Model, I might overpay about $500.
  • mdcar1mdcar1 Member Posts: 4
    Just to share with you my recent purchase experience:

Bought a 2009 RAV4 base model, FWD, 4cyl, base extra value package plus floor mats, $19735 plus tax (6%), tags ($287), and dealing processing fee ($100), OTD price $21292, which includes $500 rebates. Also got 4.9% APR for 60 months. It's in Maryland, though. Overall pleasant experience with the dealership, no arm-twisting & no pressure. Hope it helps.
  • NixcarNixcar Member Posts: 4
    Quoted $31,534.84 for Rav 4, V6 4WD, QZ package w/Nav system. How low can we go on this price? Need Help!