Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• yuxiaohongyuxiaohong Member Posts: 9
    Hi, mdcar1:

Good job. Thanks for sharing. I learned a lesson.
  • KamryKamry Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone have info on obtaining a 2009 Limited Rav 4 owners manual that I can place on a cd? Thanks in advance.
  • xiaoxiaolixiaoxiaoli Member Posts: 2
    This is exactly the same model with the same package i am now baigaining with dealerships nearby. However, the lowest OTD price i could got is only $22,490. our tax is 2.75% higher than your though. I am wondering how can you manage to do such a good job and what should i do next. can i just ask them to match this price (of course with the tax adjustment)? can anyone guide me a bit? thank you very much in advance!
    PS, i am new here. couldn't find out how to PM a person here. can anyone kindly help me with this.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Not an expert on this but to my knowledge you can't send PM's here, you have to either send an email to their carspace address or check to see if the user has an email address listed on their profile (right click on users name)
    Correct format for the carspace email is username@carspace.com.
  • xiaoxiaolixiaoxiaoli Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much for your kind reply. I will try to edit my carspace first.
  • mdcar1mdcar1 Member Posts: 4
    I didn't negotiate with the dealer at all. I guess I probably have taken the advantage of living in an area close to Fitzmall (DC/MD/VA). I did Internet quotes and found one of the E-prices is actually lower than the Fitzmall price. So I just went to visit that dealer first and made the deal. Otherwise I would go to Fitzmall first.

Another tip is: You have to show the dealer that you are serious about buying a vehicle so that you may get the best price possible. In my case, I think it's a deal acceotable to both parties.
    I think you can definitely wait and get a better deal for 09 RAV4 in the summer or early fall, but then you may not be able to find the prefered color(s) and options. I found only one RAV4 with the color, trim, and options I want within 30 miles of where I'm living. I also chose the one with "J" VIN number because I'm not 100% sure about the quality of the first year cars from the new assemly facility in Ontario, Canada.
  • valcor33valcor33 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $21,158 OTD for a 2009 Rav4 Base Model with Option OV. Did I make out, or could I have done better? I am in Norfolk, VA.
  • ramarulramramarulram Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I bought the Black 2009 Rav4, Sport, 4WD, 4Cyl with extra value package, floor mats for $24,400 OTD. This price includes everything (title ($85), tax (5%), doc fee (~$200), etc) there was no discount at that time.
    I bought this car in first week of December '08 at a dealer in Boston, MA.
    I guess you can get it at a lower price

Hope this helps & Good luck!!!

Ram
  • luphamlupham Member Posts: 4
    Hi, we are getting quotes of around 28400 after the current 500 rebate for a V6 4WD Limited with the QY, TO, BC, and CF-R options. Northern California.

Edmunds and other sites have the true invoice as 27510 for those options. Is this a fair/good deal?

Seems most people are claiming they are getting true invoice pricing for their Rav4. So far, most aren't even willing to take the 3% over 27510 (before rebate) that I'm offering! What's the deal here?? Bad time to be looking or I'm just not good enough at dealing? Would appreciate any help/tips.
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    Getting a good deal also has A LOT to do with the dealer's supply. If they are oversupplied, they will give you a better deal to move a car. The geographical area plays a factor. If your area doesn't have many dealers or the supply is low on that RAV4, a good deal will be harder to find. And they know what other dealers have.

So there are many factors at play, besides your negotiating skills.

Best advice that I can give you is to go in ready to buy ON THE SPOT and you give them your price, not let them give you their price. If they take it, great. If not, you say "Thank you, have a nice day".
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    On 3/31/09, I leased a 09 Limited, 4WD, cloth.

The sticker price:
    25,880 car
    40 RL (daytime lights)
    900 SR (moonroof)
    199 CF (carpet)
    745 destination
    27,764 total MSRP

This is what I calculate based on the figures in the lease agreement:

Sale price: 25,700 + maintenance plan (495) + gap insur (195) + acquisition (650)= 27,040
    residual: 16,537 (60% of MSRP)
    MF: .0009
    term=36
    12,000/year
    payoff old Rav 4 (2 payments left, $810 total)

depreciation: $291.75
    finance: $39.22
    tax (8.375%) $27.72
    payoff old Rav4 $22.50
    Lease payment SHOULD BE: $381.19

I got it for $357/mo, with basically no money down ($500 down for 1st month, DMV, fees, etc).

I think I got a pretty good deal. The salesman told me there were no incentives at the time, but I'm pretty sure there was a factory-to-dealer cash still available in March. No?

I bought it at Queensboro Toyota, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM. This is the second Rav 4 I leased from them, but they won't be getting any of my money ever again. The salesman lied to me, and later tried to convince me that I misunderstood. As we were negotiating I tolf him exactly what I wanted (apart from the car and options, I wanted maintenance and gap insurance), he came back with $358. I said $350/mo "out the door" and I'll take it right now. He said $355. I said NO, $350 I said "OUT THE DOOR" again. He said ok.

He charged my $500 and started on the paperwork. In the itemized bill, he listed the options and maintenance, but no gap insurance. I asked and he said, that I have to go talk to another guy about it and it's extra. WTF? I thought that "out the door" is all-inclusive of taxes/fees/charges. Did I misunderstand? I was pissed but wasn't going to let a good deal go over $7/mo extra. But it wasn't the money, it was the lying and the deceiving that angered me. So, it ended up being $357/mo with the gap.

Email me for the saleman's name, if interested. Click on my username and it will give you my email address.
  • nataliciousnatalicious Member Posts: 8
    I visited a dealership in NJ today & found 3 vehicles of interest:
    2006 Rav-4 v4 AWD-34k miles-18,995-I passed on that one because he wouldn't budge on the price.
    2008 Camry LE v4-30k miles-$15,695- maybe
    2008 Rav-4 V4 FWD-21k miles-17,797 otd (original listed price was 18,995)

All of the vehicles listed above are Certified used. I'm starting to question if paying the extra for certification is really worth it....I know I sound cheap...No judging ;) i'm frustrated with the process (searching, dealership visits and all that stuff) :(

I'm not expecting you to answer the Camry question but i'd like to know if the Rav-4's are good deals. I'd prefer a used V6 Rav-4 but i've been having a hard time finding one.

Thank you Wonderful People!! ;)
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    I can't really answer your questions about the used prices, but I have a suggestion. If you are willing to pay $18k (assuming you are) for a 2008 with 18,000 miles, why not look at a new 2009 base model. You get the quicker, better mileage, new 4 cylinder engine, a brand new car, and a rebate. I would think you could get a base RAV for under $20,000 (counting the rebate, but not including TT&L). Just a thought.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I left clicked your user name and it shows me your yahoo adress starting with frank....
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    We paid 2007 RAV4 in 2007 $18,888 + doc fee + TT&L on new 4x4 base I-4 ... so you can get close to this price or little higher.
    True, however users also have the option of using a carspace email address as well.
  • marcusnmarcusn Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all the information on this thread, we just closed on a 2009 RAV4 Ltd, 6cyl, QY, BC, CF-R, TO, FE, Black Forest Green over Ash Leather interior, near Chicago, IL. Dealer showed a "invoice" of $28,846 and asked me to make an offer. Told him that the invoice included TDA of $450+, which I would not pay. Since the car was a rarity in color, and the salesman had gone to the trouble of getting it from another dealer, I offered $28,200. He was gone 5 mins and came back and accepted. Then the rebate, so the real car cost was $27,700. Since taxes here are so high, OTD was $30,650.(Gave him the $150 doc fee, then taxes and new plates, no aftersell warranties or the like) Thanks to all who post here and hope this post can help others get the best deal.
  • new2boynew2boy Member Posts: 4
    I am going to got a RAV4 in MD area. How can you get both $500 rebate and 4.9% financial? Which dealer were you in? I asked several dealer, they did not give me rebate if I ask financial.
  • maddeydmaddeyd Member Posts: 1
    Great Forum!
    Upstate New York, Rochester, in 2 days going to close lease deal on Base RAV4 4X4 Pyrite w/beige QV, FE, CF & MF for total cost = MRSP $ 24,063. OTD for $267 for 36 months. Down payment of $1000. Dealer had advertised $269 "Sign and Drive" with no down, but this included recent graduate incentive of $1000. Not being a recent grad I put the $1,000 down. The residual in $14,527. The taxes, title, registration, destination and acquisition fee are all included. Think I got a great deal but not sure. Maybe dealer will stick it to me when I sign!!!
    Financing thru other banks, not Toyota, so that you can still get the rabates.
  • fitmissfitmiss Member Posts: 13
    I'd like to use a print out of Fitz Mall to take to my dealer as a comparison. I'm looking to buy a 4WD V6 Limited in Sliver. I'd like it with mats, body side moldings, wheel locks&mudguards.

FitzMall has 5 of them. The Silver one is 800+ more than the Blizzard Whilte with no explanation. I'm guessing there is navigation or a 3rd seat but can't say because that is not how the description reads. I can take a printout of the white but they will say it isn't the same car!

2nd Question: I'm in NJ, and my Father is in PA. There is a 500,00 rebate in PA. Is it worth it to buy out of state? Are there any hidden or extra costs or downsides?
  • KamryKamry Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my 2009 Rav4 V6 Limited in 2/09, silver with erverthing but nav no side moldings and no rebate.

I have posted this info before but here goes again. I purchased a 2009 Rav 4 V6 Limited with everything but navigation, with 5 piece mats, winter mats, mud guard, exhaust tip, leather and heated seats, moonroof the works for $28,187.00, out the door $30,0??.00. I am sure the dealer still made a decent profit. I live in PA and made my purchase in mid Feb. Hope this helps. Keep in mind Toyota should now have an incentive for the 09's which I did not have. Good luck.
  • magoonmagoon Member Posts: 32
    FitzMall has 5 of them. The Silver one is 800+ more than the Blizzard Whilte with no explanation. I'm guessing there is navigation or a 3rd seat but can't say because that is not how the description reads. I can take a printout of the white but they will say it isn't the same car!

The silver is optioned differently than the white......and is noted as such in the details. So what explanation do you need?
  • mrnice1mrnice1 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy 2009 rav4 ,v-6,FWD limited , but i'm told that they are not sold in New York state and 4x4 is only sold in limited trim. Why is that?And can i buy it in another state where fwd limited trim is sold?
  • luphamlupham Member Posts: 4
    2009 Rav4 V6 Limited AWD Silver: Dealer Invoice 28745 - came with QY, TO, BC, and Premium Accessory Package (floor/cargo mats, cargo net, first aid kit).

Got it for 27495 + TTLD.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    WoW.. That's $1200 Under Invoice. How much did you pay in dealer fees (not Tax, Title etc..)?
    Would you mind sharing your MSRP and OTD price as well?
    I'm trying hard to buy a V6 Limited but am hitting brick walls with dealers. Now Toyota has cut back production of the RAV4 supposedly due to the economy. I'm trying to buy a V6 Limited and the dealers are upping the price 500.00 saying that the RAV4s are "Scarce". It is very frustrating and I hate playing the game. I am probably going to have to wait a while because I am not paying more money than I should. I've gotten this same line in the Philadelphia area and in N. NJ and am really frustrated. I've sent my Father in to deal with them and he's gotten the same line.
    I here you.
    I had the same experience. I think there is one of the two things, either Toyota dealers don't have as much profit margin as other brands or they know you will come back because.. well it's Toyota.

I would say keep your options open, don't fall in love with one model or company. Of course you don't want to buy something you don't like but keeping open mind may lend you a right car at right price.
  • newbeeenewbeee Member Posts: 10
    Please help.
    I have an offer of $27,694 + TTLD on a rav4 V6 Limited 4x2 with QY, BC, FE, TO, P4, CF, SF, MF...Black Forest Pearl w/ Bisque interior. I won't be able to get the car until the end of the month. Dealership says if the incentive went up, he will subtract the difference in the incentives from the offer. Does this sound like a good deal? Thanks!!!
    Newbeee,

What is MSRP for this car. What is dealer invoice (if you know)? without looking at those numbers this deal looks good. But I would say give us those numbers and you will get more accurate response.
    Also, I am assuming rebate is included in this price.
    Thanks funguy123!

I don't have the MRSP for this car because it's still being "assembly" at the main distributor (according to the salesman). But I went online and added up the costs:

4x2 V6 Limited: $27,265 (already included destination charge)
    BC $475
    QY $1,360
    TO $160
    CF $199
    P4 $349
    SF $75
    MF $99
    Total: $29,982 --> MSRP

Toyota is currently giving a $2,000 Extra Value Options Package discount. Plus the incentive rebate. So, I'm guessing the dealership would still make a good amount of profit out of the offered price as well. Will this be a good deal or could I negotiate it better?
    I think you should be able to do better. If you look at the fitzmall prices, they are usually $3k less then MSRP (including rebate etc..). I am assuming you have $500 rebate and you are not taking the rebate instead of 3.9%. So I would say somewhere around 27K would be a good deal.
    But This is very by region, I am not sure which region you are in and how many dealers are around but I would say ~$3K under MSRP is a good deal. Now, if you really like the car, you may take $2.5k under MSRP.

Hopefully this will help.
  • gerri1gerri1 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a 2009 RAV4 and here is a quote I received from a dealership in the Bay area:
    2009 Toyota Rav4 4WD Ltd V6 in Black/Ash interior (model 4453)

Black/Ash Leather

FE - Emission
    BC - Integrated Back Up Camera
    QZ - Extra Value Package included Navigation, Moonroof, JBL Stereo
    TO - Towing Prep Package
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat
    DK - Preferred Owner's Portfolio
    MSRP - $31554.00
    Dealer Invoice - 29,426.00
    VIP Sale Price - $29,926.00
    There is a cash incentive of $1,000.00 for the Rav4 which ends May 4th, 2009.
    I've asked why this 'incentive' suddenly ends tomorrow and awaiting a reply. Question is if this is a good deal or not? I think the OTD purchase price should be no more than $28,500 based upon what I am seeing. What do you think?
    TDA is short for Toyota Dealer Advertising a fee that Toyota adds to the invoice price.
    I am picking up a new RAV4 in a few days. I added:

Body Side Molding
    Mats
    Cargo Tray
    Wheel Locks
    Mud Guards

All is well except the dealer doesn't want to give me the cargo mat since I am getting the Cargo Tray. I thought it was a 5 piece set. Even though I'll have the tray, it sort of bothers me that I won't have the cargo mat as well to match the others.

What do you all think? Can I buy the cargo mat separately to match the other 4 pieces? If so, where and how much do you think it would cost? Maybe I should take the mat and buy the cargo tray myself?

Thanks for your opinion.
    Thanks funguy123!

I have already put down a deposit for the car. For $300 more, I get a Remote Start, cargo net (not the same one as it comes with the car), and the 5000miles maintenance service for free. It came out to be $28k even.
    I finally agreed to that price because there are only 3 dealers in my metro area, and 2 of them have managers who came out and told me off immediately when I offered $27.5k. Also, I'm getting the color I want with only options that I wanted instead of all the added stuffs I don't care for.
    Overall, I know 28k is not be the best price out there but I'm very happy with the decision since a month from now, I get to drive a brand new car instead of continue to drive the old car until a "great deal" comes along. ;)
    If you add things up you got the good deal. Remote Statr (~300 to 400) + free maintenance. This will make up for the few hundred that you are going to pay.
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    what???? you mean they are goin to increase the corolla incentives s version past $1750? That is INSANE!
  • philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    local dealer says Rav4 rebate goes from $500 to $750, financing stays at 3.9%. not much of a change.

looks like almost everything else they make but the rav gets 0%. corolla is listed as $1000cash or 0%/60 months
    Can someone please verify whether Rav4 incentive did go up (from $500 to $750) or not??? I thought it did, according to these links:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals/Toyota-Deals/
    http://pa.motorwebs.com/toyota/incentives/toyota_basic.htm

....but on edmunds.com...it shows $500 rebate, ends 06/01/09 ??!!!!
  • genuxgenux Member Posts: 2
    It seems to be region specific. In SoCal, it's only $500. In the Central states, it goes up to $750. The best "source" I have for this is buytoyota.com site:

http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/specialOffersPage.aspx?preview=0&seriesname=R- AV4
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    don't have the specific numbers but i got a price of $12,865 out the door yesterday with my trade in of a 2007 toyota yaris hatchback-auto-18,000 milespw/locks. that price includes ttl etc-i can either take the rebate which brings it down and additional $500 or get 0% financing. it had the qv package on it and car mats. i am shopping this or a new crv-how does this price sound? chicago area
    this makes the rav about $283 more than the crv but has the rear privacy glass included in the package-roof rack-etc.
  • cy23youngcy23young Member Posts: 2
    Purchased Rav4 this weekend. My sister referred me to Camelback Toyota. Sales person named Mohammid, not sure of spelling name correctly. No hassle, which what I wanted. Researched cars and it lead me to Rav4. Test drove and finished the deal under 2 hours. Was not sure about 4 or 6 cylinder. After driving 4, I felt it had enough power for me. There is a $500 incentive right now. I had a trade-in 2000 accord lx for $3500, which was a good price because I did have a couple a dings and chips. Paid $19100 OTD. It was a good experience and no b.s., would recommend the sales person.
  • genuxgenux Member Posts: 2
    Based on this price, did you get the base RAV4? Were there any other options/packages you installed? I'm still debating between the base CR-V, base RAV4, or base RAV4 V6. From what I can tell, insurance on the CR-V seems to be slightly cheaper, and their resale value seems to be a bit stronger. Driving experience for me seems to be at par, except the CR-V felt a little stiffer to handle.
  • i1101001i1101001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Thought I would post this here since I learned much before buying our new Rav4. We were split between the base Rav4 4wd and the new Subaru Forester, but eventually went with Rav4 for the better seats, better engine, and 4wd only when we need it (live in upstate NY near Lake Ontario). We wanted the base model with 4wd, and only the base value package (daytime lights, roof rails, etc) and wanted the pacific blue. Went to the only dealer within 2 hours who had a blue car and worked out a deal in under an hour. Was not able to get edmunds invoice because they claimed dealer advertising fees were part of their invoice and were non-negotiable (I was also told this at 2 other dealerships, so did not push the issue). Asked 24000 OTD, they countered with 25000 OTD, eventually settled at 24,500 by getting 22,5000 dealer invoice (base invoice + dest + 350 in dealer ad fee) and only sales (1800) and tag/title (200). he dropped 350 off car to get to invoice and dropped the 100 dealer prep fee, so I felt that I had gotten the best deal I could considering we wanted that color and were unwilling to drive 6 hours to fitzmall. After we agreed to the price, the F&I guy was quite easy; I simply told him right as we walked in the door that we had agreed to 24500 OTD. He barely mentioned any warranties, etc.

This was my first new car experience, and I have to say I was quite pleased with the whole process. I did not see much unethical behavior, and did not deem the dealer ad fee worth walking out on because edmunds takes an ambiguous stance on whether that is really just dealer profit or a legit invoice fee.

I worked with Dorshel Toyota of Rochester NY and would recommend them.
  • novacouplenovacouple Member Posts: 31
    I almost bought one a few months back but decided to wait out the bad economy (probably a mistake). Best price I found was at Laurel Carmax, where they sell new Toyotas. They now have a loaded 4WD, V6 with everything but navigation listed for $28,026. You can see this price online and most dealers will meet or slightly beat it.
    Kathy
  • snuggleningsnugglening Member Posts: 5
    Anyone think you can offer 19k in a cashiers check with rav4 base 4x4 no options and get one in ohio? Fitz mall is around 21k, I figure you get 1k discount due to new graduate and someone who wants to make quota.....Yeah that would need to be a perfect storm.