Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vpperezvpperez Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2009 Base Rav4 4x4. This is my first new car!!!

Here are the numbers rounded

Vehicle Sales Price: 22,000.00
    Vehicle Trans fee: 25.00
    Doc Fee: 150.00
    Taxes: 1802.00
    Not sure: $80
    Total $23994

Minus trade in - $3550.
    End result $20344.00

Am i shafting myself with the trade in? I am getting 60 months for 3.9apr. which bumps it up $375 a month
    Please offer opinions. Thanks
  • rastro817rastro817 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to replace an aging Ford Sedan and am interested in a used RAV4. I've targeted the 2006 model year as it is the first with the larger size. The vehicle is located in Rhode Island and is a 4x4 Sport, V6, Sunroof, 31,000 miles, Dark Green. The vehicle is Certified Used. Negotiated price is $19,000 not including tax, title, etc. Can any one offer thoughts on what similar vehicles are going for?

Thanks
  • sixofonesixofone Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a base model Rav4 recently in the S.F. Bay Area? If so, what was the price of the car and the OTD price?

After talking with several dealers in the area, I've been getting prices ranging from 21k to 24k for the price of a base model Rav4, 4cyl, FWD, with the Base Extra Value options package. I need some guidance on what is a reasonable price.

Thanks!
  • leo34leo34 Member Posts: 2
    Rav4, 4cyl, FWD, with the Base QV Extra Value options package.

The offer from a local dealer is: $20,000 (including $500 rebate and $1000 new graduate credit)+Plus tax (5%, Iowa)+title + license.

Is that a good deal?

Thanks
  • darien1darien1 Member Posts: 3
    I received a message from a couple of the dealers I am checking for prices, saying that the Base Rav4 with Third Row Seats is not available anywhere in the St. Louis area. Can anybody comment if that is true, and why that might be? Without the third row seat option the CR-V looks like a better value than the RAV4. Thank for your help.

Darien
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    Hypothetically, 3rd row seats are offered on the base RAV4, I doubt that any dealers actually stock this configuration, however.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/toyota/rav4/101042879/optionsresults.html?action- - - - =2

My question is if the dealer is saying the truth about the option not being delivered to any dealer within 6 hours driving distance of St. Louis. If so, WHY is that? Paying extra $900 for the flexibility of having 2 extra seats is a selling point for me.

IF I can't find the RAV4 with 3rd row seats, the CRV is a much better value by maybe 1.5K and higher safety ratings, better seats, better interior, better wiplash neck protection. Besides the fact that it is a piece of cake to get a Honda dealer to go down to close to Edmunds Invoice while it has proved annoyingly hard and time consuming to get a Toyota dealer to go down within thousands of invoice. They actually start by quoting prices above MSRP and then "pretend" to go down 1K or so. I am starting to think the cockiness others complained about with Toyota is not an imagined trait. I want to buy even today, but it is proving impossible to get straight answers.

If you have the money why can you get the car and options you want?

Darien
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    I am not surprised.

Toyota always have low inventories (probably by design). I am not sure if your dealer is telling you the truth or not but it is possible that you won't fine 3rd row configuration in your state. I am speaking by experience, I was looking for black LTD RAV4 with backup camera and i could not find single one in my state. I found one in different state (5 hours away). Not only that dealers told me "it's a regional thing". I emailed Toyota and their response was your local dealer should be able to get the config you want provided it is available at other dealers or available in production (if you are willing to wait). But the fact is dealers are more interested in selling what they have, they have little interest in getting what you want. Although Toyota did said they can force the dealer to get what you want but I didn't do that because in that i will not get the price i wanted. so it's a catch 22. Another thing, I did saw one RAV4 with 3rd row seat at one of the dealer, believe me you don't want that. It had about 2 inches between 2nd and 3rd row seat. You could only put little kids and they won't even have any room to move. If you really needs 3rd row seat, I would recommend getting different SUV.

I would disagree about CRV. Personally I didn't like CR-V interior, it has less power, less MPG, more road noise, Does not feel solid like RAV4, Consumer Reports has RAV4 as the best in the class.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your insight. I respect your opinion, but the opinions across the map is that the interior of the CRV is better. Actually the rankings here

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Compact-SUV- s/grid/overall/

are the same only because they say the RAV4 has better exterior design which I beg to disagree. I don't really care much how they look, but side by side the RAV is the uglier of the two.

Gas and power I think they are tied 1MPG is not much difference, and power is kind of relative since according to all reviews the CRV is the peppier of the two (better utilization of power?)

Thanks about the comment of road noise, I will have to go and test it both in 4 cylinders, 4WD to see how they do. I agree that is very important, a long noisy ride can be very annoying.

About the 3 row seating, I am single. I want a small SUV because of the flexibility and practicality. I only like the 2 extra seats because they stow away. Else, I wouldn't want driving 2 extra empty seats 98% of the time. But when you need to drive extra friends for a short trip. The extra flexibility is well worth paying ~$800 for, IMO.

Darien
  • taxlawyertaxlawyer Member Posts: 29
    I disagree with Darien.

I've driven both the 4cyl Rav and CR-V on several occasions. The issue isn't horsepower or peppiness...its torque.

The CR-V feels like a Civic. The Rav-4 feels like a raised Camry.

CR-V has more road noise, less power (with lower mileage?). Read the James Healy review in USA Today. He sums it up best. Think about it, if the CR-V has less hp (or is atleast noticeably slower than the RAV4) then it shouldn't get less mileage at all. His observation was that it needs either 15% more power or 15% more fuel economy. I agree with him.

As for the interior, the Honda feels more refined but only when you are sitting still. Drive it and the engine feels a bit like a sewing machine. Cute for grocery moms but I can't imagine any grown man feeling comfortable in it.

As for looks, the Honda has a better coat of paint and is more stylish with the hidden wheel but it comes at a cost of less interior cargo space. Either way, looks are personal preference.

I guess the argument goes back and forth but the Rav4(even with the 4spd) still has more usable power (for merging, etc.) than the CR-V with better fuel economy to boot!

Good luck with your purchase.
  • johnrayjohnray Member Posts: 7
    I too had a hard time deciding between the RAV4 and CR-V. I can't even remember what exactly was the deciding factor now, but I ended up getting the CR-V. I think it had to do with the consistent quality of Honda in Consumer Reports and Toyota's inconsistency lately, plus the monopoly that Southeast Toyota dealers have on this region that pretty much force you to pay $800 for their advertising no matter which state you buy your new Toyota in and the fact that it seemed like it took a lot of expensive options to get the Toyota the way I wanted (no spare tire on the back, sunroof, etc.) that upped the price of them even more and of course, the fact that Toyota, like Honda, knows people want their products so they don't have to try hard to offer incentives or lower prices (being an Apple user, I'm used to this, but I still don't like it). In the end, they are both great vehicles and I don't think you could go wrong getting either one.
  • jackiniljackinil Member Posts: 1
    We test drove the CRV and RAV4 recently .Ultimately decided on the RAV4 and picked up a Limited 4WD this past Friday.The RAV4 just felt more solid and the wife who will be the primary driver of it liked it better.Also got 0 % financing and price within $200 of the TMV listed on Edmunds.I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    I agree with you taxlawyer.

It's simple..

RAV4: More Power, More MPG
    CR-V: Less Power, Less MPG

Unless you are all about looks...
  • jim_carsjim_cars Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process to buy the RAV4 2009 6 cylinders, leather seats, mirror bk cam, 6 disc cd, ipod interface. So far, I have received one offer of $28,980.

I would like to know if someone has bought the same car recently and how much paid.

Any help or comment will be appreciate it.
  • andrea01andrea01 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help in pricing out a vehicle. I'm in Maryland, have sought out the TMV invoice for what others are paying for a 4x4 4 cyl RAV4. When I pull up the TMV it includes the Destination charge in the total.
    #1.How is final price figured. Is tax taken onthe base price, options, accessories, and the destination charge or is the destination added after the tax?
    #2 Any recommended dealers who offer the best pricing? I'm finding quite a spread so far
    #3 Dealers tell me they have little inventory but that a boat is due to arrive with 20 plus RAV4 base models. They can reserve one for me. In reading about the Holdback article, it says dealer must have inventory on hand and the holdback percentage is 2% for Maryland. Is this another area I can reduce my price? Can someone explain to me how cars are distributed that are being shipped in. I am assuming that they are already dedicated to a dealer. If not the case, let me know. I'm green on this.
    #4. If I pay cash vs financing, should I expect a deeper discount from dealer or none at all.
    Thanks
  • ted10375ted10375 Member Posts: 10
    I haven't bought yet so can't vouch for the success...

Track Rav4 prices on dealer websites that display internet pricing. I've found the following so far, just Google them for the website:

Milton Ruben (Augusta, GA)
    Fitzgerald Auto Malls (fitzmall.com)...their prices are typically best
    Ourisman (Fairfax, VA)
    Browns (Glen Burnie, MD)
    R&H (Baltimore)
    Miller (Manassas, VA)
    Carmax (2 locations sell new Toyotas)

For each of these, calculate their best % off MSRP for the model you want. Don't forget that several of these websites will exclude destination from the price paid, so you will have to add it back.

**Theoretically,** your local dealer should match or beat the best % off MSRP you can find online for a similar vehicle.

Autobrag.com recommends negotiating as a % off MSRP. Their website has a lot of good info as well.

Offer below the best price you think you can get, and negotiate upwards. Deal only with the dealership's Internet Department.

Good luck to all the shoppers, I hope it works...for you and me!
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    Those are some good questions. I'm not sure I really know the answers, but I'll give it a shot and hope it at least helps you along a bit.

1. Sales tax is certainly calculated on all those items except (maybe, I just don't know) the destination charge. I don't have a sales tax in my state. A call to the franchise tax board should answer that question.
    2. I would go to Fizmall and feel lucky that I could. I bought my RAV near where I live (well, 300 miles away) in Oregon. I contacted dealers from Nevada to California to Washington. Like your experience, the prices were all over the board and just too high. I eventually settled on a Limited at about $500 over true dealer invoice price. Fitzmall's prices seem to be about $500 below invoice on the Limiteds, although I do not know current rebates or incentives.
    3. From what I have gathered, specific cars are allocated to the dealers, but they will usually swap them when they have a buyer for one.
    4. Dealer's usually get some of the profit from financing, so I don't think you can expect a discount with cash. On the other hand, they know it's a done deal with cash if you can agree on a price. I just don't think you can do better by paying cash. Doesn't mean you shouldn't, though.

Good luck. I love my Rav, but the buying process was so painful, after a couple months I was only a couple days from walking away and going with my second choice. Hope your purchase is smoother.
  • zhangsquallzhangsquall Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone here have experience buying 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 3.5L 2WD Leather recently?

I want to know some experiences and expected OTD prices for it.

Thank you!
  • beachgrosiebeachgrosie Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone...My husband just got laid off, but I am carless and looking for best price in the US (I live in Calif) for Rav4Ltd,nav, leather, rack (what other option would I want?)...it will be my 5 year car and I drive the elderly community around as a volunteer. Should I drop the 4WD to keep down the noise level and roughness? Many thanks to all..can buy in Bay Area or San Diego or in between! :confuse:
  • eljatuleljatul Member Posts: 3
    Date of purchase: 06 / 06 / 2009

2009 Base 4WD V4
    + QV Additional Package
    + Bluetooth
    + All Weather Mats
    ----------------------------
    $ 23,000 + title fees

MSRP was like 24,500
  • bama_gritsbama_grits Member Posts: 1
    Ditto, I am looking at the same model with similiar option. I am in the process of getting quotes and like to know the latest buying experiences.

How much under Edmunds invoice can be expected right now?

thx
  • patiobarbecuepatiobarbecue Member Posts: 1
    wow, from which dealer? My local dealers in NY are hostile, $1000 higher than MSRP and no finance at all. I have to walk out their shops.
  • seajakeseajake Member Posts: 2
    Date of Purchase: 6/9/09
    Location; Spokane, WA

Silver, QY, BC, TO, CF (Carpet/Cargo Mat Set (5pc set))

Paid $28,930 + registration/sales tax
  • ted10375ted10375 Member Posts: 10
    If you are buying and looking to trade in an older vehicle, start paying close attention to the "Cash For Clunkers" legislation winding through Congress. The House has passed, and there's now a good chance the Senate will pass and Obama will sign very soon. If your trade-in is worth less than $3,500 and gets less than 18 MPG you will come out ahead on your new car.

Google "Cash For Clunkers" for the latest.
  • sc75188sc75188 Member Posts: 12
    I am looking to buy a toyota Rav4 Limited 4 cylinder with the limited package the msrp is $28,315 how much is a decent offer on that....
  • rav4guy3rav4guy3 Member Posts: 2
    Just placed an order for 2009 RAV4 limited 4x4, 4 cylinders,blizzard pearl, with QY (extra value package) and BC (backup Camera) @ Lees Toyota @ Hillside, New York.
    $27200 plus reg & tax.
    Is this price fair? thanks
  • ghlughlu Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking at a base Rav4 for my wife with either 4cyl or a V6. The lowest price I got quoted is the following
    4cyl + QV, Mat MSRP $23964, quoted $21835 + tax/title
    V6 + QW, TO, Mat MSRP $26039, quoted $23988 + tax/title
    both prices quoted are after $500 cash back. Are those prices fair? Thanks.
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    hi ,
    bought an 08 ,plain jayne 4 cylinder model off lease for 17900...the amazing fact was the generous trade in on my 08 honda fit...
    rav had 26 k miles while my fit had 32k !!go figure.
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    To the folks asking about a RAV 4-cylinder, Limited:

Mine has 4WD, extra value package QY, backup camera, and other odds and ends that I didn't want. MSRP was $29,000. I paid $27,000 and don't think I did particularly well. This was in January, so there were no incentives or cashback. I really love the car and am very happy. Good luck.
  • fatgordyfatgordy Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased the V6 Limited fully loaded. Here's what it has:

Base MSRP ($27,810)
    Back-up Cam ($475)
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat ($199)
    Extra Value Package #1 ($1360)
    Tow Prep Package ($160)
    Wheel Locks ($81)
    Delivery ($800)
    Total MSRP = $30,885

I was able to talk them down to $28,802 and got $200 over KBB Good Trade value on my 2006 Corolla (which I was pretty happy about because it needed some body work and new tires). I also got the 3.9% APR financing and the $1000 college rebate because I'm currently enrolled as a graduate student (it pays to read the fine print on the TFS website). After college rebate, the final price was $27,802.

I did all of my haggling via email before I even went to the dealer. I emailed about five different dealers in the area until I found the best price at Toyota of Lancaster in PA. While haggling, all the dealers wanted to call me to discuss the details but I just told them that I couldn't answer the phone at work and preferred to discuss the price over email. For me, that was the low stress approach as I really don't like to talk to salespeople on the phone. I did end up talking to one dealer on the phone and it ended up taking over an hour just to get a price out of him. I’ll never do that again. They will give you a price over email if you ask them and for me it worked just as well.

Once I was satisfied with the best price via email, my wife and I went to the dealer and asked the salesperson to give us the full treatment. When I say that, I mean that we asked him tell us all about every little detail of the vehicle. The way I figure it, you want to allow the salesperson to feel like they've done their job before you start talking numbers. We did a complete walkthrough of the vehicle and all the options. We went for a 20 minute test drive on both the highway and back roads. I was pretty happy with the vehicle and the way it handles. Also, the 269 Horsepower helped a little bit too! Then after we were completely satisfied with the choice, we went inside to talk numbers.

As I said, we went to this dealer for the very first time already agreed on a price for the vehicle ($28,802). That one detail made for a very low stress visit. The only thing that we needed to work out at the dealer was the trade value. Of course we couldn’t do that via email because they need to look at your trade and drive it around to assess the value.

I told the dealer that if we could work out the right trade value, I'd drive it off the lot today. I pulled out an advertisement from another dealer that had a coupon for "up to $2000 over KBB Fair Trade Value". I told him that I was looking to get at least $1700 over KBB Fair Trade Value (which is $9000 for the 2006 Corolla). He said that he would talk to his manager but he didn't know if they could get that much for it. He came back with $200 over the KBB Good trade value ($8500), which I was pretty happy with. The car had a few paint scratches, a big dent in the rear quarterpanel, needed new tires, and needed to be cleaned inside because of my kids love to throw their Cheerios and Apple Juice on the floors and seats.

Make sure you eat before you go to the dealer as it does take a long time! In total, I ended up spending about 4 hours at the dealer finalizing everything. It also really pays to work out the price before you go because we didn’t even talk about it until it was time to do the paperwork and that really lowers the stress level. I actually really enjoyed the visit and I feel like I got a pretty good deal in the end.

The next step is to find an after market tow hitch as the Tow Package conveniently doesn’t include the hitch – how strange. Also, I think I’m going to look for a rooftop storage container as the luggage space in the back still isn’t quite large enough for all of the crap that I have to lug around for my kids and wife. Haha.
  • orijinorijin Member Posts: 2
    I am in the New York City area and was wondering what kind of price people in my area paid for a 2009 rav4 base or sports awd with no other options besides that value package which seems to be a default for every rav4 out there.

Best price I got was 24600 out the door for a base model which i think is pretty expensive.
  • mbengembenge Member Posts: 18
    I would like to believe that is a good deal for out the door :confuse: . I just assisted my in-laws in purchasing a similarly equipped sport but FWD with an added cargo space (tonnau) cover and floor mats. Their out the door was about 24700. They did have to have the dealer find one and transfer it in though.
  • mbengembenge Member Posts: 18
    ...The RAV was purchased in southeast Alabama.
  • orijinolzorijinolz Member Posts: 4
    My girlfriend just made a purchased on a 2009 Rav4 Base AWD White for

$23820 out the door.

I am pretty sure i could've gotten a better deal but she didn't want to wait and made the purchase.

Plaza Toyota in Brooklyn, NY wanted to give me a better price and claimed they were able to beat $23500 out the door so if anyone in the tristate area is interested.
  • beachgrosiebeachgrosie Member Posts: 6
    hi there...I am wondering what the dealer cost was compared to what you paid. also if you find a great looking top-cargo holder, let me know. that alone is time spent researching, I know!
    I am trying to finalize my purchase. did you have navigation? I'm pretty jazzed..thanks for your writing...I am only negotiating on internet also.
    rosemary
    san diego
  • vonycvonyc Member Posts: 2
    Hello. Travel to 4 Toyota dealers in MA for the best price on a RAV4. IRA Toyota in Milford, MA had the best deal for the color and choice of origin (Japan) that I wanted. No pressure from the Sales Rep or his manager. Retail $24019. Price paid $21500.

Details:
    RAV4 4x4
    Extra Value Package
    5-Piece Carpet Floor & Cargo Mats
    OTD $22981
    Good luck!
  • capitalone001capitalone001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, did you include $1,000 new grad rebate in your OTD price? Thanks.
  • vonycvonyc Member Posts: 2
    No. That price is without the new grad rebate. Hope this helps.
  • greytautumngreytautumn Member Posts: 38
    That's seems to be the standard base config. I was quoted at another dealer South of Boston 22,500 for a similar vehicle, and I know it's not a 'hook 'em' quote. They'll honor that price. (Copeland in Brockton) But it'll be good to play price war :)

I bought my 2007 Sienna at Copeland. Painless buying experience. Got the price over the phone, and bought the van at that price. It was one of the last 2007's that they received- arrived on Friday, I bought it Saturday. Was in and out of rthe dealership in only a few hours.

This contrast's with Boch- ugh. Had a deal on a Highlander (what we REALLY want) but they backed out when we handed over the CC for the deposit. Wasted 4 hours of my life.

Did you trade as well? I'm looking ot trade a 10 year old VW. So far I'm insulted by what dealers are looking to give me for it. KBB and NADA aren't even close to what they are offering.

Since there are no rebates on the rav right now, we're waiting until after the 7th and the new program hits. We're not losing anything by waiting.
  • drolixdrolix Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Just paid $24700 OTD for

2009 Rav4 AWD
    extra value package
    dealer installed heated leather seats
    Carpet mats
    Mudguard

How did I do? Thanks
  • tingtingtingting Member Posts: 1
    Could you please tell me which city are you in? It is really cheap and the cheapest price I get in Houston is almost 23000. That is really a big difference.
  • tree329tree329 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 rav4 ltd jbl radio but I'm disappointed that it doesn't show what song or artist is playing. I have friends with cats that are older and cost much less that has this feature.
  • mjmusic2000mjmusic2000 Member Posts: 2
    hello,

I'm new to Los Angeles and want some help with my purchase of the RAV 4.

I'd like to find other recent out-the-door pricing on the 2009 RAV 4 sport, which would contain the following specs:
    -V6
    -4x2 (FWD)
    -Options package = "QX" = Sport Extra Value Package-
    -Dark charcoal fabric interior (NON-LEATHER)
    -black exterior

What is the best price out there?
    Thanks very much!
  • greytautumngreytautumn Member Posts: 38
    Here's a few quotes that I have received that I know are legit and no hassle here in Boston. All prices are plus tax, tags and the $250 doc fee

Rav4 I4 4WD base Sticker $24019- quoted 22k even.

Rav4 Sport I4 4WD Sticker $25870 Quoted $23900 with FE (50 state emissions) QX (Sport Extra Value Package (savings of $1000)-includes Daytime Running Lights (DRL), black roof rails and cross bars, power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with integrated XM Satellite Radio receiver (includes 90-day trial subscription), MP3/WMA playback capability and six speakers)) and CF Floormats
  • maryteresamaryteresa Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted $22,000 for a completely bare 4cylinder AWD Rav4. I didn't want (that really means I didn't need and didn't want to pay for) any extras. The salespeople were great and the process was painless, but I think that is high given that the msrp is $22,900. I really want to do business with them, but once I came back home and saw the msrp my whole attitude changed. Please give some feedback. Thanks.
  • lolita88lolita88 Member Posts: 1
    hi, there, to me , that is really a good deal. I am in the Burlington area in VT and the prices are so high here, I would like to drive to Boston if I could get a price like the one you get. Could you give me more information of your quote and the contact infor of the dealership? Thanks a lot!!
  • vargarvvargarv Member Posts: 1
    Hello~ Does anyone here have experience buying 2009 RAV4 Base 4WD 4-cyl 2.5L with Extra Package(including 17" wheels and rear privacy glass) recently?

I want to know some experiences and expected OTD prices for it, and I live in Rochester, Minnesota.

Thank you!
  • krisudhakrisudha Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for the Rav4. I found two similar base 4wd 2009 Certified Pre-owned vehicles with the following pricing from the SAME DEALER.

1. Base 2009 4WD - 10K miles - $19,000 - White
    2. Base 2009 4Wd - 8K miles - $24,000- Silver

Apart from the colors, there is no other difference in feature (from what I see in the advt and what I heard from the dealer). Even the carfax shows both the vehicles are corporate fleet lease vechicles owned by a single owner for approximately 6 months and no problems.

I am more interested in buying the one that is $19,000 (plan to bargain it to $18K + TTL). Anything fishy with this one as I see a $4K difference in the price between the two? Please help.

Thank You!
  • maryteresamaryteresa Member Posts: 3
    Ira in Manchester only got down to $22,000. Tell me, how hard was it to get them down to $21,500? I wonder if they would do that for me if I showed them your post? Either way I am so glad I read this. I was almost ready to jump on Manchester's offer.