Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    I would wait, if you can. I just saw an article on msn.com today that said the C4C trade ins for the first week of August are way down compared to the last week of July.

Also, newspaper article today that says dealers are getting fed up waiting for the money from the govt. and don't want to do C4C anymore. These dealers have done 50-150 deals and haven't goten a dime yet!

I think it will be pretty much over in two-three weeks. I believe 1.8 billion of the 3 billion has been used up already. Almost half a million cars off the road. Also, Honda, Ford and GM are stepping up production. Their inventory for Cobalts, Fusions, Escapes, Civics, CRV's and Odyseeys is expected to rise.
  • jsherm007jsherm007 Member Posts: 12
    Hello:

I got a 2009 Rav4 Limited (w/ cloth), V6, 4WD, with roof, bluetooth, 6cd, etc for:

$349/mo (tax in at 6.5%, and gap insurance at $330)
    $709 down
    3 year

How did I do?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Looks pretty good... MSRP of around $27K-$28K?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• venkat123venkat123 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please let me know where did you purchased the car and for how much. I am also intrested to buy Limited and live in north NJ. Thank you.
  • jpedmondsjpedmonds Member Posts: 2
    The Portland market is toast until C for C is over and the market corrects. I had a salesman tell me the first weekend of C for C that he did not want to talk to me if I had cash and wanted anything specific like body style, color, options, and especially price. C for C buyers were buying anything he had to offer and at MSRP. There are no 2009s left. 2010s are expected, but there went the model year end $1000 incentive. We are out of the market until it returns to normal and the dealerships respect a cash buyer again. Probably will not see this until November or December. Salesmen may be a little more hungry by then.
  • arrowleafarrowleaf Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I purchased my RAV4 at Towne Toyota on Route 46 in Ledgewood, NJ. Last time I checked, they were still offering finance incentives on RAV4s
  • festivusfestivus Member Posts: 9
    when I got a rav4 limited w/ towing, extra value pkg and mats about a month ago. Only $900 off MSRP. I was so p!ssed that I negotiated for side steps afterwards and the dealer agreed to that. So MSRP would have been about $30,850 or so with those and I paid $29,500, $28,750 with a $750 rebate.

Sounds like I got a fair deal since I had a clunker to donate.
  • puneecarpuneecar Member Posts: 17
    Any advice estimates on what I should be paying OTD including all dealer fees?(before tax)
    Are Title/Registration Cost expected to be included in OTD price? Should it?
    How much extra does Title/Reg Cost if not included??

$22,900 MSRP : BASE RAV4 4x4, 4-Cylinder (in NY TriState Area-ish)

+$1,060 +OPTION: 3rd Row Package
    -(QV) Base Extra Value Package
    -(DRL) DayTime Running Lights
    -(TH) Third Row Seats
    -17" 5-Spoke P225/65R17 tires
    -17" Spare Tire on Steel WHeel
    -Black Roof Rails & Cross Bars
    -Privacy Glass

+$1,186 +ACCESSORIES
    -(BM) Body side moldings [32] @ $199
    -(MF) Mudguard [31] @ $99
    -(V4) Remote start [31] @ $529
    -(V5) VIP RS3200+ security system [31] @ $359

+$ 800 ??? +DELIVERY PROCESSING/HANDLING FEE
    ==============================================
    $25,946 TOTAL MSRP

$23,815 =91.79% is Edmunds Invoice Price vs MSRP
    $25,134 =96.87% is Edmunds TMV Price vs MSRP

Looks like a pretty horrible TMV price to me
    1300$ above Invoice
    only 800$ below MSRP :confuse:

::echoes:: I shouldve bought this car last month before CARS :sick:
  • rav4guy3rav4guy3 Member Posts: 2
    ON 6/15/09, I SIGNED A PURCHASER'S CONTRACT TO BUY A RAV4 AWD LIMITED WITH EXTRA VALUE PACKAGE AND BACK UP CAMERA FOR $27,700 BEFORE TAX. THIS PRICE WAS NOT THE LOWEST BUT OK ACCORDING TO EDMUNDS TRUE CAR VALUE AND I WILL PAY IN FULL. THE EXPERIENCE WITH THE SALES STAFF WAS HORRENDOUS. I CAN FINALLY PICK UP THIS VEHICLE 9/4/09. (3 MONTHS???) THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST CAR BUYING EXPERIENCE I HAD IN MY LIFE (HAD 5 NEW CAR PURCHASES IN THE PAST). I WOULD ADVICE ANYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEALERSHIP. FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN DETAILS, I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO FILL YOU IN. BOTTOM LINE, STAY AWAY FROM LEES TOYOTA, QUEENS, NY.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA.
    would be cool to share your experience here.
    no, i dont work for dealerrater, i'v just been trying to go through the reviews to see and know what to look out for, and being in NY shopping for a rav4, w/e your story is, it's probably good for me to kno. much appreciated

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Lee-s-Toyota-review-8294/

you could also file with attorney general of NYC
    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/pdfs/complaint_forms/nyc_comp- laint.pdf
    I'd like to hear your stories details too. One thing I've learned from the dealer reviews on Edmunds and from dealerrater is to never buy a car that the dealer is going to "get" for you from another dealer. Just too many horror stories.

If I wanted something that bad, and couldn't find it at the closest dealer or two or three, I'd either wait for them to get one in stock, settle for similiar options, or travel to another dealer. Those dealer ratings are full of stories from people who put deposits and then found out weeks later that the dealer can't get the car they were promised. Then these poor buyers have to struggle to get their down payment back.

If it's not in stock, I don't want it. And if I do really want it, I'll go find it.
  • mik004mik004 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2009 base model 4 cylinder this weekend. Bought from prestige toyota in Ramsey. They were good to work with, haggling aside. $25,000 out the door was the best I could do. Good luck to all.
  • dengludenglu Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a new 2009 RAV4 4 cyl. Base FWD (Base $21,624+tax+TTL fees) in Pacific Blue (hard to find, though) in Philadelphia area. Included Packages and Options:

CF - Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat (5-Piece Set)
    FE - 50 State Emissions
    QV - Base L4 EVP Package includes: Wheels: 17" Styled Steel, Roof Rack w/Cross Bar Roof Rail, Daytime Running Lights, Privacy Glass

Is it a good deal based on your research and experience? Interesting to know your thoughts.

Thank you,
    denglu
    Congrats! 25,000 OTD seems expensive somewhat, though. Truecar.com suggests that the actual dealer cost is about $21,000 for this model, so you may have overpaid a couple of grans.
    Mine has BC (backup camera), QY (extra value package), TO (towing prep package), MF (mudguards), 2Q (all weather mats), and WL (wheel locks for the alloy wheels), Still happy about the deal -- hope others were able to get one! Only disappoinment is the car doesn't have a compass -- wazzup with that?
    Spent all day Shopping @ East Coast Toyota in Jersey today.

4WD-4Cyl Rav4 Base Model w Options:
    QV Value Package
    TH Third Row Seat
    Carpet

Came in w/ an internet quote of 23,900 being told if I came in, I'd get a better quote in person. After I came in, they said they couldnt do any better than 23,900, because an internet quote is just to draw us into the dealership, but they'll honor the quote us anyway. I persisted that we came in today based on being told we'd get a BETTER quote looking for 23,500 and he comes back with 23,850 w/ 1yr free maintenance every 5000 miles (which for us wouldve been 2 checkups tops)

i said 23,700 and Im driving away today, and he comes back with 23,800 with down to only 1 oil change. Im on the fence, quite upset they're only to budge 100$ down from their opening quote but granted 23,900 is edmund's tmv. He pulls out a referal postcard for 100$ each for referal and referer, and it occurred to me my freind referred me, so if i could cash in on this referal promo, Im sold, Im happy. but no. Turnsout, friend alredy bought his car just 2 days ago, but didnt pick up car yet. After an hr of back and forth of this and that, they finally agreed that upon friend's pickup, they'll honor 100$ for him and 100$ for me...upon their word of honor. Ofcourse thats just silly to expect them to follow thru after Iv alredy driven away, so i ask for something in writing...no... another half hr.. fine they'll add that in writing to the paperwork in the F&I office. fine, we move on to the F&I office.

in F&I office.
    I tried to refuse to sign waiver of lawsuit in favor of arbitration, but they insisted it's a must. I insisted on refusal. F&I leaves and comes back and says, it's a must or it's over. I reluctantly said FINE and signed. then comes the VIN etching for 175$.. he said it was already included in my price.. but the hidden meaning was included in my Buyers Order for extra 175$ on top of 23,800 (which i already signed) but failed to notice it as "THEFT DETERRENT". F&I insisted everyone gets it, its already included, i cant decline it.. i asked where.. he shows me on the Form and sure enough it says "optional"..to which i pointed out. He went back outside, came back in with my original sales guy. They both confront me and say Im being difficult and if i wont take the etching, it's a no deal. So i agreed with them... NO DEAL..and walked out. 6.5 hrs total spent in dealership with girlfriend, 3yrold, & 4yrold.

This is the story of my Price NOT PAID. 23,700 (After Referal Bonus) + docFEES(300$) +Reg(400$) +NYTax(2110$)

Apprx Net TOTAL = $ 26500+
    BASE 4x4 4Cyl Rav4 with 3rd Row Seating Package + Carpet
    Just bought a new 2009 RAV4 4 cyl. Base FWD (Base $21,624+tax+TTL fees) in Pacific Blue (hard to find, though) in Philadelphia area. Included Packages and Options:

CF - Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat (5-Piece Set)
    FE - 50 State Emissions
    QV - Base L4 EVP Package includes: Wheels: 17" Styled Steel, Roof Rack w/Cross Bar Roof Rail, Daytime Running Lights, Privacy Glass

Is it a good deal based on your research and experience? Interesting to know your thoughts.

Thank you,
    denglu
    Puneecar-Was it really worth it to walk out? I mean, six and half hours there with two kids and you walked over $175 VIN etching?

Maybe it's the principal, I don't know. It seems to me too man people get carried away on these boards trying to squeeze the salesman/dealer for the last hundred or two.

Give me a happy salesman, let him feed his family, and treat me like a human being.

I know that if I left after all that time and aggravation I would be so pissed of, my blood pressure would be up, and I would be cursing car salesmen in general and trying to explain to the kids why we didn't get the car after spending their afternoon there too.

To me, it's not worth the aggravation. It's worth it to pay the extra $200 for something I'll have for at least 7 years, and to know that if I ever need a friend there, the salesman might remember me fondly.
  • naren_chainaninaren_chainani Member Posts: 1
    Are you saying you got 0% because of the college grad program?

I got a rav4 limited yesterday and got 1000$ with new college rebate. However, my APR is as high as 6.75%. Did i miss something? Do new college grads get 0% at toyota?
    believe me and my girlfriend felt that wy very much.. to have spent 6 hrs there and then leave with nothing.. (and stereotypically thats exactly how they want you to feel)

but put it in perspective, we werent trying to squeeze the salesguy at all.
    invoice was 22.7K. I was willing to settle for 23.7K. $1000 ABOVE invoice. ONLY 200$ below their opening quote. They cranked the waiting game on full throttle (probably b/c i had my kids with me) and wasted 4 hrs of my time just to give me 100$ off the opening quote.. with only a half promise of honoring the other 100$.

i just couldnt walk out of there not feeling utterly ripped off after 6hrs and being at the same price i started with 6hrs ago. .. and for them to blackmail me refusing to sell me the car unless I agree to pay for an optional Item.. Im sorry, the Attorney General of NJ and Toyota, as well as BBB will be hearing about this... since my salesman boasted about their BBB certification. one voice might not do anything, but hopefully advising others to do the same might eventually surface some new laws about this practice as its happenned in the past. Maybe the next time i buy a car 5-10yrs down i dont have to waste as much time.

Fortunately, as frustrating as it was for us.. our kids saw it as quite an adventure carrying their new backpacks full of their games, books, and snacks being in a showroom full of cars.
  • greytautumngreytautumn Member Posts: 38
    It still amazes me that so many dealers are weasels like this. I had an internet quote on a Highlander. Went into the dealer (Boch South) to do the deal. Four hours later, they told us that they could not do the deal- really? I had already signed half of the paperwork and they had the CC in hand for the deposit. We walked, and they lost an Avalon on the spot as well.

We went back to the dealer where we had bought our Sienna (Copeland Toyota) and had a no hassle deal on a base RAV 4x4. 22k + tax, title and doc fees minus a fair trade in value on a 10 year old VW. I was there doing the papers for all of 2 hours, but we paid cash (didn't even do a credit app- at either dealer)

The 09 rav that we bought was new on the lot- still wrapped. I called and asked them to PDI it so that my wife could drive it. They made it happen.

I think that Boch might have honored our deal if I had financed at a loan shark interest rate (read- not with Toyota Credit) so that they would have made it up on the back end, but we never pursued it. Apparently this is a common tactic.

This was our second car from Copeland, though my Sienna was a stand on your head deal- they essentially gave me a free moonroof (and a good price even if it did not have the moonroof), but I bought the car the day after it hit the lot from the plant. Negotiating that was painless as well and I bought a $35k van for under $30k. With 8 miles on the Odometer! I highly recommend them.

All of this is South of Boston, MA where we have 6 Toyota dealers within 30 minutes of the house. Boch is by far the biggest, but I will never deal with them again. ever. My in-laws swear by them at least for service, but that's service, not sales. They were there for both experiences- Even they'll go to Copelnd for their next car.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I understand your frustration. I bought my '08 Rav at East Coast in Feb. 2008. It was President's Day and they were quite busy. After a lot of haggling, we agreed on a deal and they hit me with the etching package also, as a mandatory option.

I wasn't happy, but I went along with it. However, I will know if I ever go back there again they will have to include it up front so I will know exactly what I am paying.

Your kids must be angels to have endured 6+ hours. My wife came along and left after 2 hours.
    Unfortunately it's a tough time for buyers in this post cash for clunkers environment. Inventory is low, at least until the '10s start arriving. I see some dealers by me are getting the last of the '09s, but inventory is still way down. It seems the worst at Honda and Toyota dealers, naturally.

I know when I bought my Sienna in Sept. '04 it was a new model. Edmunds showed hem selling for $500 under MSRP. A dealer by me advertised that they had several in stock and would sell them for $750 under MSRP. We had a great salesman, but he would not go any lower. When I complained about the $379 documentation fee, he said it was mandatory. When I hemmed and hawed a bit, he did go and get the selling price reduced an additional $379 to cover the fee. We left happy.

Unfortunately Honda and Toyota dealers don't have to negotiate much. Their attitude can be "if you don't buy it at our price, someone else will". This seems more prevalent at Honda dealers. Less competition maybe?
  • pjmsj21pjmsj21 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota lists the end date for the $1,000 rebate as of September 8th. It is interesting to note that while 2010's are arriving, 2009's are also arriving as well. Does anyone have any idea as to whether they will extend the $1,000 rebate?
  • jbenensonjbenenson Member Posts: 3
    I bought my RAV4 Basic from Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe NM. The salesperson was a really good guy -- he's since retired and moved to FL -- as are the financial people and the parts and service people. I did the Clunkers for Cash program: $5000 ($4500 for my '93 4-Runner + $500 dealer incentive) off the $24640 MSRP. There was a small misunderstanding about the financing, but they changed it to give me the lower rate discussed with the salesperson. There was no pressure, no "games", nothing like that from anybody. It's nice to give a positive report on a dealership, but hey, that's Santa Fe. :)
  • josievjosiev Member Posts: 4
    Where are you that the 2010s are already coming in? None in Seattle area yet that I know of. A couple weeks ago a salesperson said it would be a month or two before the 2010s arrive.
    In NYS and around NY

I have dealers offering me 2010s in place of the 2009s Im eQuoting for and theyre telling they are to arrive as early as a wk to Month-end of sept depending on the dealership. (ofcourse that could all be overhyping to get me to put down downpayments and making advance purchases)

If you check truecar.com, 2010 values are now posted even though regional and local numbers arent yet available for my area. if you look at the invoice and dealer cost between 2009 and 2010, the new 2010s are actually CHEAPER to buy for the dealers

Great thing is, these dealers are eQuoting me and carrying over my 2009 quote over to 2010 models if Im willing to wait for it to come in. It makes sense for them to do that since they profit more from the 2010s at the same price and it far easier to get into inventory than 2009 models. .. .. However, TMVs for 2010 are still outrageous.. (though i would ignorantly assume that will change very quuickly once 2010s are widely available, and these fatten salesmen realize the scarcity of buyers in the coming months in the aftermath of CARS)

Im getting quotes of 26500ish OTD price for 2010s. thats inclusive of dealer fees, NYS DMV charges, and NYS 8.875% Sales Tax. Seems like a pretty sweet price to me. If we keep fighting for these prices, it may become the norm and work out for everyone in the market for these rav4s!! Let's make it a buyers market again, Im tired of salesman pushing me at 1300$ above invoice.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Our dealer in Bend has one 2010 in stock and I see Magic Toyota in Edmonds, Wa., has one 2010 in their inventory. Someone in Seattle probably has some 2010 models. You are just talking to an idiot.
    as evergreen says, most of them are idiots.. they spew w/e BS they can come up with to make themselves seem knowledgable.

either that or they blatantly lie to you to get you to focus on buying a car NOW from THEM. Iv been told so many times that RAV4s 2009s with 3rdROW seating are completely out of stock and near impossible to find.

meanwhile I could list at least 5 dealerships that have one in stock... just not the color i want.

Currently working over paperwork to acquire a trade-in for a rav42009 at 26400 OTD (inclusive of all dealer fees, DMV, and NYTax 8.875%)
    There are many horror stories that Trade-Ins come up empty handed... but Im crossing my fingers on this.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    You are a brave man...good for you....but maybe I am old and getting soft....6 hours wated is too much.....and you should consider or maybe you had alreday, if you will be able to get similar deal somewhere else otherwise you pissed away 6 hours of your life for nothing...principles are nice values, but your time should also have a price...good luck and keep us posted on how much you finally pay...and it better be lower that that deal..good luck..
  • boniamboniam Member Posts: 5
    I deposited for a 2010 base 4x4 with third row seat for $23000 + $299 document fee + tax + registration in MA. It will have extra value package. I also got a good price for my trade so i am kind of happy. Dealer has best rating on dealerrater and so i am feeling better about it. I went to buy a 2009 for same price but ended up deciding on waiting for 10 days and get 2010. He will get the color i want. I will be getting it on 24th. :)
  • mrashy2004mrashy2004 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    I am in boston also. What dealer was it?
    Thanks
  • boniamboniam Member Posts: 5
    toyota of wellesley...
  • sandra4453sandra4453 Member Posts: 10
    I thought I did all my homework before buying. I ended up purchasing a Honda CRV EX model 2 weeks ago, now has a little over 400 miles. Drove into the garage on the first day and was immediately struck with buyers remorse. The tailgate/back hood opens UP instead of swinging out which is a huge problem...not enough room to open the tailgate because of the garage door runners...I have to hold on to the hood to avoid any colliding or, unpack my groceries, etc. in the driveway and then pull the car in. Doesn't sound like a big deal except it is! It was suggested to back the car into the garage but I'm not working with a lot of room and it all feels so problematic and inconvienent.

A Toyota RAV4 Sport FWD is available (2009). I can (maybe) sell my car privately and take a loss of about $2,000 (if I can get what I'm hoping to for it) or, use it as a trade with the Toyota dealer where I end up saving on the taxes (about $1,200) in the trade in, out the door price. They will sell me the RAV for an additional $5,400. The Honda was $23,350 out the door, plus $5,400 now for the Toyota, equal $28,750 that I will end up spending in the end ... if I get the Toyota.

I know this is strictly a personal choice to make but I feel so over-my-head with this decision. I buy a car once every 5-7 years and originally worked the numbers to fit my budget when I first started looking. Now, I'll be in for another $5,400 which I'm having a hard time justifying.

Opinions? :confuse: :cry:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Take a deep breath and live with it for a few months... You'll either figure something out... or, decide it's not that big of a deal.. Or, decide you'll have to do something about it.

I'd have a really hard time justifying trading in my car, just because it's sort of a pain to unload groceries.. But, if you do... another month or two isn't going to make a difference. If you trade any time within the next couple of years, you will take a major hit... so, why rush into a bad decision?

(Is it that big of an issue to let the rear door open up gently against the runners?)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just be aware that most SUVs of any size have a rear tailgate that opens UP. The RAV4 is one of the few that has a tailgate hinge on the right. How important is this for you?

You'll lose a significant amount of money if you trade your CRV for a RAV4 -- but the RAV4 has outstanding reliability ratings, so if you plan on holding on to the car for 7 years or more it might be worth the change. Just FYI - in addition to my 2009 RAV4, I have a 1996 Camry with 167,800 miles on it. I expect to keep the Camry for at least another 75,000 miles. Toyotas are road warriors.
    funny, it's quite the opposite living in NYC with Parallel Parking. THe swingout doors of a Rav4 might be a problem for me but I guess in preference of 3rdRow, I'm hoping unloading before parking wont turn out to be too troublesome. Perhaps sticking some bumper pads on either the runners or your car to prevent to hard bump. Or Keep magnetic bumper pads in your trunk that you could slap on your door when it's unloading time so it's not a permanent eyesore when on the road.

Purchased from Lawrence Toyota, NJ @ 26,438 OTD (including NYS 8.875% Tax)

$ 23.992.00 (Quoted.. TMV @ the time but still cheaper OTD compared to others)
    $ 7.70 (Online Reg Fee - I did most my paper via Phone/Fax/Email)
    $ 150.00 (NY Reg Fee -i think it should be higher, but we'll see in a month)
    $ 169.00 (Doc Fee)

Car Specs:
    *Base 4x4 4Cyl
    *[QV] Extra Value Package
    *[TH] 3rd Row Seating ( subtract apprx 700$+/- if you dont want 3rd Row)
    *Molding on the Trunk Bumper to prevent cargo from scratching paint (i dont think it's standard but it was included with mine w/o charge)
    *Preferred Preference Package (FirstAide Kit, CargoNet etc .. came included free)

Worked thru Internet Dept w/ Matt Bliffert. Great Guy, Frequent Followups via email and phone daily to keep you assured that they'r working on finding your car and keeping you updated on it's progress. Willing to conduct paperwork via fax and email. All around nice guy, no hard selling, just suggestions. No BS "required" options like Etching even though it's already on the car. a few more extras onthe car that he didnt even bother suggested charging me since I didnt ask for it.

btw, 3rdRow inthe specific color I wanted was extremely hard to find. there are at least 10 toyota dealers closer to me and yet nobody was able to "find" it in the past 2 wks, yet Matt (&crew) found the car in under 24hrs after a few false positives and had it brought up to NJ 250 miles from Maryland in under the next 24hrs. with all the horror stories of relying on the dealer to "find" the car for the buyer, I was extremely nervous, but MattBliffert @ Lawrence Toyota was extremely awesome about it. I hope the rest of Lawrence is just as great and it's not just an isolated occurrence there. Natalie, the F&I person was also very patient and not pushy on options. Much of it might have to do with being somewhat educated in carbuying despite being a 1st time buyer. Do your research, read up, and sound knowledgeable and they'll probably be less likely to try tricks with you.

East Coast Toyota, NJ however still owes me 5000$ in downpayment money.
    These guys on the other hand will tell you VIN Etching is required even after you insist they're not, and POINT OUT to them on the contract itself that it's optional.
    I hope I dont have to resort to CC CHargeback & Small Claims Court, but if it comes to that, Im definitely getting back more than what they currently owe me to pay for "punitive damages" and expenses.

Good Luck Shopping Everyone.
    Thanks kyfdx. I could start using the back seats instead of the cargo area in back and avoid using the tailgate at all. Bummer. And like you, I'd have a hard time and am having a hard time, justifying trading in my car because of the hit I'm going to take but, I'm ending up hating the vehicle now. It's not just the trunk. I feel like I'm sitting in a truck...the RAV is cozy, more comfortable...feels more like a car, to me.

I take a hit now, get it over with and lose a couple of thousand or, drive a car that I regret buying and forfeit the pleasure derived from that new car feeling. What a web I've woven!
    Does anyone know of a website that lists the dealer install options available and the pricing for these options?
    truecar will list invoice vs msrp prices for almost all the options for the car.

http://truecar.com/Toyota/RAV4/2010/options-B8019190.html

...or change the model of the car to your preference.
    i dont know how much the dealer will actually charge for them though. My guess is it's probably also negotiable and they'll probably try to ccharge you MSRP. but Im just guessing, I didnt quite have a chance to ask for a brochure and pricing yet, but if you find out, pls let us kno.
  • tom0059tom0059 Member Posts: 2
    Last week end we found a 2006 RAV4 with 36k miles, asking was $19k. Got dealer down to $16,800 which included a trade in for our clunker. I decided to think about it and later ran a Carfax only to discover it was rear ended 3 months earlier.

Not sure if I missed a great deal or passed up a possible problem with a rear ended used car. Vehicle was clean, ran well. It was not a Toyota certified pre-owned.

Would you buy a used RAV4 without a "cettification"?

Anyone with similar situation or comments?
    Thanks, puneecar...that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Just because a car has been in an accident doesn't always mean it should be avoided. A couple months ago, we got rear ended in my wife's car, a 2004 Suzuki Verona. The other vehicle was an old pickup with the kind of shocks that raised it by about a foot. The truck pushed my trunk in like it was an accordian but didn't hit the bumper. The Verona ran just fine after the accident and, after the insurance company paid $4500 to get it fixed, is actually in better shape now than it was before. The body shop took out a small ding in one of the rear doors that was not related to the accident and painter the bumper which had some scratches. The old trunk lid also had some scratches that are now gone since they had to replace the trunk lid. If I were looking to buy this vehicle, I would be more interested today than before the accident as it looks a lot better.
  • tom0059tom0059 Member Posts: 2
    As you know, looks can be deceiving. Sure it looks great, but sometimes I guess you just have to go with the "gut." Not only did the owner dump the car right after the accident but there is no CPO offerred. So I guess I'm more concerned with future mechanical problems that may have resulted than I am with cosmetics. If it were my own car it would be a different story.
  • phx1021phx1021 Member Posts: 8
    sandra4453: I used to haave a similar problem on my SUV where when the tailgate was up it would hit the garage door. I just left a towel in the back of the SUV, and placed it on the outside when opening the SUV hatch to prevent it from getting scratched up when opening. Just open the tailgate slowly and there should be no problems.
    Just found what looks like a reasonably nice deal for me. I can get into a 2010 RAV4 Sport (w/moonroof package) for my trade (2009 Honda CR-V EX - equivalent to this RAV, as for features, Honda now has 600 miles) for another $4,300 otd, not a penny more. It will end up costing me $24.300...I paid $20,000 cash for the Honda with my trade. I lose out on the trade this time which is what I have to forget about if I want to finally get something I'll be happy with. I traded in a 2000 Camry with low miles and probably could have done much better, privately but didn't want the headache.

Thoughts?
  • ted10375ted10375 Member Posts: 10
    Probably not a bad deal if you're holding long-term and were really unhappy with the CR-V. Welcome to RAV4 nation!
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    Here is a vote to go ahead and do it. $4300 is a chunk of change, but not really THAT bad to get a newer model year and, more importantly, a car you really want. I did the same thing two years ago, trading in a year-old car that I really loved but could not get comfortable in for a new Acura TL. I took a pretty small hit--maybe $2500, and felt it was the right thing for me to do. My biggest worry was that I was acting like a nut-case who couldn't make up his mind. I got over that.

A year later, I got my 2009 RAV 4 cyl., 4WD, Limited. I love it. Oh, still have the Acura. :)
  • austin15austin15 Member Posts: 9
    Got a quote from a dealer at Fort Worth, TX
    For 2009 RAV4 base FWD V6 with minimum features

after $1000 rebate from Toyota
    base price $22900
    Drive out $24600

Is this a good deal?

Thanks
  • jkingsjkings Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to look at a 2006 2wd 4cyl Rav4. The price at the Toyota dealership is $16,799. What is a reasonable asking price? This is my first time purchasing through a dealership, and I'm not sure how low I can reasonably negotiate. I have a 95 Camry that I'm fairly certain won't fetch much as a trade in. Thank you!