Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mdessimusmdessimus Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking to buy the same exact ltd. RAV4 (QY .. ltd. extra value pkg w/o NAV), JC dealer quoted 27250 as his bottom price (plus tax + dmv cost). I need to ask him whether doc fee was included in 27250 or will it show up in the dmv cost.

So far I saw it with a Jersey City dealer, and am going to check with a Manhattan dealer today. Was curious which dealer you got your car from, it certainly looks like a great price. I would try to get a quote from him too.
  • serveace6serveace6 Member Posts: 29
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase a base optioned 2010 RAV4 V6 Sport (The Sport is the only one in Magenetic Gray Metallic). What kind of price should I be asking for? I'm also considering the same Base model as well.
  • njbuyer1njbuyer1 Member Posts: 4
    We paid OTD $24,357 (NJ) for our new 2010 RAV4. It is really a nice car, we love it!
    I forgot to mention that we got 0% for 3 years.
  • austin15austin15 Member Posts: 9
    Can you please share with us how much did you pay for the car itself(excluding TTL)?

and the installed options?

Thanks!
  • ydhwzydhwz Member Posts: 2
    Folks,

I got a quote from a dealer on a 2009 (note: 2009, not 2010) RAV4 base V6 FWD
    The dealer offered me $22,500 – $1,000 college graduate rebate = 21,500 plus TTL (Drive out 23,189)
    Is this a good deal? Thanks!

2009 Toyota RAV4 Model - 4431 5-DOOR 4X2 SUV
    MSRP: Base:$24,390; Installed Options:$1,637; Total:$26,027

Installed options total invoice price: $827
    truecar.com factory invoice without installed options: $23,207 (if I add the $827 options then it will be $24,034)
    Edmonds invoice with destination charge but without installed options: $22,803 (if I add the $827 options then it will be $23,630)

Why there is a ~$400 difference in the invoice price for this car without any installed options between truecar.com and Edmonds?

Selected Options and Packages Invoice/MSRP

FE
    50 State EmissionsP4Vehicle Shield Package

QW
    Extra Value Package Includes: Daytime Running Lights, Black Roof Rails and Crossbars, and Rear Privacy Glass (On Rear Side, Quarter, and Rear Door Window)

TS 59/99
    Custom Tape Stripe

CF 126/199
    Carpet Mat Set
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Cargo Mat

T1 318/495
    WINDOW TINT

WC 225/495
    CHROME WHEEL COVERS

P4 99/349
    Vehicle Shield Package
    -Lusterizing Sealant
    -Sound Shield
    -Sealant Cleaner
    -Rental Car Assistance
    Vehicle selling price is $22148.17 including QV package, cargo net and floor mats.
    Hopefully, this info. will help you. By the way, the 0% will end on Jan. 4. Good luck everyone!
    Looks like you got your car around or below the invoice price.
    Thank you for sharing the info!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Part of the price difference may be due to the advertising fee found on truecar, not sure if Edmunds includes that fee or not.
  • soupy53soupy53 Member Posts: 6
    We are in the process of buying the same vehicle at a local dealer. We are getting the tow package and a hitch and wiring harness installed for a total of $22,760. That is the price without our state sales tax of $300 and title fee of $30 so with those two items it will be $23,090. The only problem is that our original deal involved a dealer trade and for whatever reason, the dealer who had possession of the car indicated that it was no longer available after we had a signed contract. UGH! Our dealer is now trying to locate another vehicle for us. If I had to do it over again, I would simply request a factory ordered vehicle and forget the whole "dealer trading" ordeal.....it's torturous.
    I'm the market for the same car and apparently it's the V6 Based FWD is pretty rare so I'll be interested how you do. There are plenty of V6's in the Sports trim but 90% are loaded with a ton of options like leather and backup camera which pushes the price way out of the affordable price range for the same engine. Have a look at American Express (http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html) since their price is about ~22 which is about right.
    Our dealer found us another one....base FWD V6 5-Spd and will be available to us in about 20 days. Since we had traded in our other car and the initial car we had purchased was no longer available, they are being super nice and giving us a loaner until we receive our car. How great is that? The base models are hard to get...we did not want any options other than the tow package....no car mats, nothing.....we are getting a hitch and wiring harness....that's it. We can't wait to get our RAV4!!
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I see many messages here with a mulitude of answers as to what you each got off of the asking price. However, many are hard to interpret, at least for me.

I went to Trucar.com and found for my particular model a FWD V-6 Limited with the options choosen:

TruCost Factory Invoice TruAverage Sticker Price
    $28,160 $28,688 $29,253 $30,502

Is that about what you all are getting on your deals? i.e. $1,249 on average and a Great Price of about $2,342 off MSRP

It appears to me that there are no what I would call fantastic deals. With little off of MSRP.

It would nice to see what deals people were getting if we all spoke the same language about how much off MSRP did we get. Then it would be simpler for simple minded folks such as me to compare the deals gotten.
    I went to TruCar.com and for our 2010 Rav 4 FWD V6....we paid $831 less than the great price, $1265 less than the factory invoice and $2325 off of the sticker price. This was the best deal from 3 different internet sales departments and we are very happy. Other things also come into play too.....they gave us the most money for our trade-in which was also a Toyota but a Corolla. So our total out of pocket costs were also less with this particular dealer. We had an extended warranty on the Corolla and we already cancelled the warranty and received a prorated refund which we are going to apply towards our new vehicle. As was previously mentioned in a prior post, the RAV4 V6 Base models (4431) are not that readily available....we did not want all the bells and whistles that the other versions came with.
  • ex2lehmanex2lehman Member Posts: 2
    Mdessimus,

I bought the car from James Toyota in Flemington NJ. I recalled that I was quoted 27,250 initially. I checked back with the sales person in the following 3 weeks to find the car I want remains in their lot. That helped me to persuade the dealer to sell the car for 26,717.

Regards,
  • john_kpunjohn_kpun Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good price in Colorado.
    Price - 23900
    Theft Protection - 299 (They are refusing to take this off)
    Dealer Handling fee - 499
    Total - 24698 + taxes

Options
    AW - 17" 5 Spoke aluminium alloy wheels
    FE - 50 States Emissions
    QW - Extra Value Package
    TO - Tow Prep Package
    TC - Tonneau Cover
    MF - Mud Gaurd
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats / Cargo Mats
    B3 - BLU Logic Hands Free System
  • ydhwzydhwz Member Posts: 2
    toyotagal,

What makes cases difficult to compare is that almost every car comes with some installed options that you cannot get rid of, and for some of those options, the invoice price is much lower than MSRP.
    For example
    P4 invoice 99/ MSRP 349
    Vehicle Shield Package
    -Lusterizing Sealant
    -Sound Shield
    -Sealant Cleaner
    -Rental Car Assistance

So you might have to look at the details of other people’s buying experience to compare.
    Like the car I mentioned, post 3176
    It looks like I may be able to get $4527 off the MSRP for a RAV4 base V6 FWD
    BUT, you have to know that
    1. this is a 2009 instead of 2010 model and the dealer is trying to get rid of it
    2. I can get $1000 college rebate
    3. Many installed options on this car, the invoice price is much lower than the MSRP

So far I have not seen anyone’s comment on the price of this car yet and would certainly appreciate some advice.
    What I see is that there are very few RAV4s in general among the 3 Austin Toyota dealers.
    I just checked their website and found
    Champion Toyota has 35 RAV4 but 363 Camry
    Charles Maund Toyota has 3 RAV4 but more than 100 Camry
    Round Rock Toyota has 31 RAV4 but 295 Camry
    I don't know whether it's because the RAV4s just sell very quickly in Austin or the dealers are not getting enough RAV4s. In either case, it becomes difficult to bargain with the dealers. Perhaps I am not good at negotiation so I am simply not getting similar low price that people at other states are posting here. I was talking to one of the dealer the other day and they told me that for a 2010 Base 2x4 V6 without installed options, they can only offer me $24000 and their invoice is about $23800. I told them that I am seeing an invoice price of $23000 on Edmund and $23300 on truecar, but they said those websites do not get all the information… I don’t know what to say…
    I am looking for RAV4 Base V6 too and each dealer has only one or two and they usually come with some options that I donot need, like blue tooh cell phone or something…
    Do you have any luck so far?
    Yeah, none of the dealers in stock have it in stock.. However, they told me they can do a dealer trade but that involved a dealer 100+ miles away and mostly meant it would be driven down. I was not a fan of the added miles but the quote was for $23900 (after rebate) which is still above invoice. It was too much of a hassle so I passed. Very odd for the base V6 to be that low volume.
  • mtndtrainmtndtrain Member Posts: 2
    That looks like a very good price, less than I recently paid in Colorado for my 2010 Rav4 in fact. My final price including tax was around $26600 but that included $1000 college grad bonus cash. I bought the Base 4x4 V6 also, in Black Forest Pearl with all the options you listed plus the Body Side Molding. I Love my Rav and I'm very happy that I made the purchase. Good luck with your purchase.
    Your scenerio sounds much like mine. i.e. I cannot get any of 5 Dealers in my area to offer a discount of more than $1,000 off MSRP. I try to start by talking of Dealer's Cost but they quickly move off that. And there are few RAV4s in stock with the options that I want. This seems to be a big change from past years when I could deal on some wheels. I can't find anyone willing go much above 1k off MSRP. This although the particular RAV4 I want would be loaded except for AWD and Navigation. From what I am seeing in TruCar.com is that the difference between Dealer Cost and MSRP is almost 3k. But it seems they won't move of of 2k apparent profit. At least after today the last day of the Toyotathon. I could get about $1,500 off MSRP "if" they had a car I wanted and I bought it today. But it looks like I am having to go to a "build" to get the vehicle I want. With from what they are telling me a 2-3 month wait.
  • john_kpunjohn_kpun Member Posts: 2
    Thx. for your reply. They refused College Grad rebate for me as it is almost 4 years since I graduate. Do you know what and why the dealer handling fee is $499/-
    Is this something you negotiated down?
    You can get exactly what you want (Base FWD V6-5 Spd) without any options at all if you request that your dealer order it from the factory. In our area (Southeast) this means a 6 week wait. Our dealer was able to find us one that was going to go to another dealer so we are all set and have to wait just 3 weeks. I'm not sure if this option is available in other areas, but on the Toyota web site..."build your own Toyota"...you can build one exactly the wayyou want it and it will let you know how many vehicles match your needs in your area. That is the tool that we used and it even has the last 6 digits of the Vin numbers so you can bring it to your dealer. Our OTD price which also includes the tow prep package as well as a hitch and wiring harness is $22.760 plus tax and title for our state which brings it to $23,090. We are getting no options other than the towing accessories...no mats, nothing. Good Luck in your search.
  • bhitchcockbhitchcock Member Posts: 16
    I live in Southern Cal and looking for a Limited, 4X4,V6,extra value package #1 and backup camera with towing package. No one in this area seems to have this config (or anything close) in stock so are saying I can order but best quote I can get so far is about 4% off MSRP which is about $1250 and it's a 2-4 month wait time. Maybe the best strategy is to wait til dealer inventories come back up again?

Anybody had good luck with pricing in Southern California and what dealer?
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    I'm in MN and inventory is real slim here as well. Limited and Sport package models are rare, and even 2x4 models need to be traded from other dealers in the midwest area. This leaves me with almost no leverage to negotiate beyond the typical markdowns. I wonder how the January interest rate and leasing rates will change??
  • mtndtrainmtndtrain Member Posts: 2
    Supposedly the D/H fee is required for all dealerships in Colorado, different dealers have different fee amounts but they all have them. I didn't use that as the negotiator per se but took it into account when negotiating.

My final price had the 499 D/H fee(Mountain States Toyota), I could have probably got a better price but I had already missed out on a Blk For Prl Rav4 and they weren't budging so I took the already decent price and ran with it. One thing that might help negotiating, the finance guy told me the dealership that sells the most vehicles was getting a trip to Cabo, not sure if thats still going though.
  • kodak_jackkodak_jack Member Posts: 6
    I didn't buy new and haven't bought a new vehicle since 1990. I usually buy a program vehicle and was lucky enough to find a Rav 4 with 13,000 miles on it. It is "Certified", so, it has the 7 year/ 100,000 mile drive train warranty with it. It's a 4 cylinder/automatic/front wheel drive from Vanderstyne Toyota in Rochester, NY. It may have been a company vehicle since it's white and has low mileage on it and came from the opposite end of the state. Do you guys have a good recommendation for a cargo area liner? Thanks.
  • stabone130stabone130 Member Posts: 2
    My lease is up in March and I went into the dealer where I leased my Toyota Rav 4 in 2007. The car has a bunch of deep scratches on the hood and dings on the side, was involved in a car accident (on CarFax) in early 2009 (other persons insurance paid for all repairs) but otherwise good shape. Here's what they offered me:

Take the 2007 model "as is" including all damage to hood/sides, etc. - no liability on my part.

2010 2.5L 4Cyl DOHC Dual VVT-i Engine, 4WD
    Total MSRP: $24,194.00
    Downpayment: $2500
    Monthly payment: $353.18
    Includes all taxes, title & fees; alarm, remote starter & gap insurance.

Compared to what I paid at same dealership in 2007 for my first lease:

2007 Toyota Rav4 Base model
    Downpayment: $2199
    Base model w/ installed sunroof, which I realized was worthless
    Monthly payment: $347.50
    Included all taxes, title & fees; alarm, remote starter & gap insurance.

Did I get a bad deal?

Compared to last lease I didn't think so but now I am seeing many posts with people putting nothing down and much lower downpayments. Not sure if geography or time of year has anything to do with it....but I'm starting to think I got screwed. (Again)
    Rates, whether borrowing to buy or leasing, are based on your credit rating. It's too bad the lease is based on sticker price. The base model with nothing extra is $24,200?!!!!! That's insane. Look at a 1 year old certified, if possible. It comes with a 7/100,000 drive train warranty. For an extra $12/month, I got a bumper-to-bumper warranty and it even includes all the same road side assistance that AAA gives you for the same 7year/100,000 miles.
  • threejays32threejays32 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to leave a 2010 Rav 4 Limited 4 cyl with 12,000 miles per yr. What is the residual value percentage and the money factor?
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I am definitely planning to buy a new Rav4 Ltd. with the V6 engine. My timing is a little uncertain at this time but it might have to be sooner rather than later. There will be a redsigned Rav4 in 2012 and the way some manufacturers are eliminating the V6 option, I suspect it may be only a matter of time for Toyota to drop the V6 from the Rav4 line. 2012 would be a logical time to do it but there may be pressures to do it sooner. If they dropped the V6 for 2011, that means a person would have to buy the 2010 model and, if one waited until too late in the year, there may be a limited number available as they would probably all get bought up quickly if Toyota announced this summer that the 2011s wouldn't be available with a V6. Does anyone know what Toyota may be thinking about this?
    We too had a lot of trouble getting the configuration that we wanted on our RAV4 in Northern CA. Finally we decided to "order" one last week which they said could take as long as 4 months (outside figure). Then we got information from the Dealer belatedly that RAV4s could not be "Built" which is a term they use to describe something built from scratch. With them as well as another dealer noting RAV4s are not being "Built" to buyer specs.

However they did say that they possibly could "tweak" one coming off the line to our specs. In which case it would be here in 5 weeks or so.

Further, from what we understand RAV4s are no longer being built in Japan but in Ontario, Canada.

Is that what you and others understand as to the build point for RAV4s? Of course, I am sure that the engines and transmissions still come from Japan.

We just hope that the quality that existed in building RAV4s in Japan carries over to Canada.
  • puneecarpuneecar Member Posts: 17
    dealers being dealers, I'd question anything they say that may compel you to buyer sooner than later. or to buy what they have available as oppose to what they would have to put effort into acquiring.

Quite a novice at carbuying so take my opinions lightly.
    but when they told me in september that 2009 RAV4s can no longer be built to custom configuration, I believed them... since 2010 RAV4s were due release in Oct 2009. But to tell me that 2010 RAV4s could no longer be built to custom config, I'll call BS on that.

My understanding is.. whatever you can "BUILD" off toyota's website, is what you can order to be "built" to order from the factory. And I've had plenty dealers offer to "build" the 2010 RAV4 for me when they no longer had the 2009 RAV4 i wanted... But i couldnt wait 2 months.
    We haven't heard anything about this but it would really be a shame. We are due to receive our new V6 in 2 weeks and the whole reason we made this purchase was because of it's ability to tow 3500 pounds. We have a lightweight camper (only 1000 lbs) and we pull a Sea Doo as well. We also wanted the V6 because there is hardly any difference in gas mileage between the V6 and the 4 cylinder and all of the reviews really emphasize this point and I would imagine that it is a big selling point too. Good luck with your purchase.
  • johnjwljohnjwl Member Posts: 1
    I live close to Boston, and I am planning to buy a Base 4x4 (Model 4432) in the next two weeks. Does anyone know what a good out-of-the-door price would be for this purchase? Thanks!
  • thereftheref Member Posts: 6
    Dear all

I wonder if $19K is a good price for used 4cyl 4wd Base Rav4 with 3K miles. One owner. Is the original factory warranty transferable? Given the low miles, should I have it inspected? It drives great...

Thanks!
    I just bought a 2009 4 cylinder FWD for $19,500 with 13,000 miles on it. They wouldn't negotiate much because they claimed the "certified" portion of it cost them an extra $500. That gives you a 7 year/ 100,000 mile drive train warranty on top of the transferred/ remainder of the new car warranty. I think the 4 cylinder is powerful enough and front wheel drive is also adequate, and I get a lot of snow where I am. The 4wd used Rav4's my dealer had were that kind of money for a 2007. The thing that would bother me is that somebody turned that vehicle in with only 3K miles on it. Since mine was "Certified", the Internet ad I looked at had a link to the vehicle's CarFax right there. Just to be safe, I'd want to see the CarFax for the one you're interested in. If it doesn't have mud guards, make that part of the deal or the whole side of the vehicle is plastered with road junk and it can be pretty expensive to buy the ones for the vehicle. ;)
  • philchenphilchen Member Posts: 4
    Is it possible to get it under or at this OTD price?
    I am in IN. It seems to me that it is hard to lower the price here. Maybe it is easier in Chicago?
    "The vehicles covered under the recall are:

2009-2010 RAV4, Corolla, Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, certain 2007-2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia."

I just bought my RAV4, what the heck!
    Our new RAV4 was suppose to arrive at the dealer this week....we went in on Saturday and said that we didn't want it due to all the "unknowns" of this latest recall that was issued on 1/21/2010.."sticky gas pedal". They did not argue or try to convince us to change our minds and returned our trade vehicle and off we went. Now, 3 days later.....sales are now suspended....Wow. We chose not to continue with the deal since we felt that there were too many unanswered questions about the issues plus the vehicle's resale value would now take a hit as well as it's safety rating. We still love Toyotas....we drive a 07 Corolla....but not about to plop down 23K on a recalled vehicle with safety issues.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    I went to the dealer this past Saturday for a test drive and they had several equipped the way I wanted. Having spent a week with a RAV4 as a rental, I knew I liked the way it drove so I was ready to do a deal.

To my good fortune, the salesman was a jerk and I walked out. If Toyota handles this properly, in the long run it could work to their advantage but resolving their issues is very complex and could take quite a long time. Determining the problem, re-engineering and implementing on the production lines as well as fixing existing inventory is not going to be easy.
    I couldn't beleive all the stories told by Toyota Salesmen. I wanted a vehicle that was not available at any dealer. The first Salesman I went to told me I could not get them to "build" me a RAV4 to my specs. But he told me I could possibly get one "tweaked" coming off the line.

Next I went by another Dealer and the Salesman told me he could get one built to my specs. And I ordered one. Then he told me, as the first salesman had told me, I could not get one built. But, as with the other dealer, he told me I could get one tweaked coming off the line. Later he told me I couldn't do that either. But he would keep looking.

And still later the accelerator issue exploded. So I cancelled my order last week.

Now I understand that they have stopped Sales and Production in an attempt to resolve the acceleration issue. Let's hope they get to the bottom of this. I think it is good that Toyota finally owned up to the problem rather than trying to brush it under the carpet the last few years. After all "reliability" is what Toyota is based upon.
  • e2broodaye2brooday Member Posts: 2
    We leased a 2010 Rav4 Limited last week at Prestige Toyota in NJ. I spoke with the sales manager today, he said that our vehicle was manufactured in Japan (a "J" in the VIN number) and that it was not effected by this recall. Is that true? I wanted confirmation from Toyota, but their "Customer Experience" number is jammed and they are not accepting calls at this time. Any Toyota experts out there to confirm?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I think what goes around comes around. Toyota has been pretty arrogant riding high on past reputation while offering lesser warranties and charging higher prices for some time. If the quality is so good one would think offering a better warranty would cost them little, right? Well I think they will now have to play catch up to win people back into the fold when other manufactures are offering more for less. (safety recall will have to fix things for free, but reading of people paying $900 to fix their RAV steering because they are just outside of 3yr/36K doesn't bode well for the "quality" image)
    I once considered buying a RAV-4, but that swinging door, lesser warranty and inflexible higher price sent me elsewhere. I hope they learn from this and the consumer will benefit.
  • ucbsupaflyucbsupafly Member Posts: 9
    According to Toyota, only cars manufactured in North America (i.e. US, Canada, and Mexico) have the accelerator problem. Cars manufactured in Japan have a different accelerator mechanism/design. If this is true, your RAV4 is probably ok. However, since this information is from Toyota, take it for what it's worth.
  • hidalgo007hidalgo007 Member Posts: 7
    You mentioned "2009 4 cylinder FWD for $19,500 with 13,000 miles" - Is $19.5K is selling price or drive out (OTD) price ?. Similar to this car I found 2009 4 cyl FWD base 18K miles certified the dealer is quoting me $19995 drive out price. I tried to negotiate for $500 less but he is firm on his stand. Is it a good price ?
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    Wow, we were very close to leasing a RAV4, but given the recall issue we are going with something else!! We also had the good fortune of a terrible sales person that continued to give us inaccurate information about inventory and dealer trades etc so we backed out and now we are thankful that it was a bust.
    Best of luck to toyota on trying to fix this PR nightmare! :lemon:
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Yes, when I looked in 2007 they just didn't budge on price or accommodate. There are plenty of other fish out there with better warranties that want your business without an arrogant attitude.

Here's a list of some to start comparing with:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Compact-SUV- s/

(be sure to hit the "more" button to get as much info as you can)
    That was the asking price and they claimed they couldn't move from that because it cost them money to get it certified. This gave me the 7/100,000 drive train warranty. The out the door price had to include license, tax, etc. It also cost me a HUGE $125 for them to take care of the DMV stuff on it!!!!!!! That's insane, but you don't have a choice. For $125/ vehicle, I'll stand in line all day. :mad:
    It's my understanding that my Rav, with the JP in the VIN, means it is made in Japan and is not affected by the recall. I also understand that Ford buys the same accelerator and has said and done NOTHING! I bought a Toyota because I was burned multiple times by GM V-6's with bad intake manifold gaskets. GM KNEW about the problem as early as the late 80's and never did a thing about it. It prompted a class action suit that has now gone by the wayside because they filed Chapter 11. :mad: I happen to commend Toyota for owning up to the problem and jumping right on it rather than having to be dragged into a lengthy denial and refusal to fix process.
    On a different note, in the short time I've had my Rav 4, I have noticed that many things are opposite what an American car is like. You don't give the stalk a quick push down for one sweep of the wipers, it's up. You don't pull the light stalk toward you for high beams, it's away. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it, but it feels weird. I live where we get a lot of snow and slush. If you have to brush snow off the windshield, you had better not brush it down toward the hood. If snow gets pushed under the lip of the hood, you'll block the washers, which are a BIG necessity in sloppy weather. I also think the heater could put out a little more heat than what I am getting. The CD player is the first I've ever been disappointed in. It has very bad/ tinny treble. I don't understand why the automatic transmission has 3 and D next to each other. I would have expected them to be separate in the line of choices. If you aren't watching for it, you'll tend to go into 3 and that ups the RPM's at speed and cuts fuel mileage.