Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The $4800 is pretty high interest on a sub $30,000 vehicle. Considering the Prime is pretty low these days, I would say that Toyota may be losing $1500 per vehicle in finance cost, but chances are they are not borrowing the money from the Fed, or the bank, but are financing these internally.

We are still waiting for better deals on RAV4. In particular, $2,000-$4,000 off. Finance offers are OK, but we can just pay cash, so rebates are more important.
  • vjinvjin Member Posts: 2
    RAV4 4WD LTD V-4 with Nav
    Extra value pkg with Nav
    Back up camera
    Mud guard
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mats
    Total without taxes and fees: 27,713.30
    OTD Price (7% taxes, Indiana) : $29,540.74

Thanks
    VJIN
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I read the $4800 figure somewhere but I figure it would only be true if Toyota was normally financing at 6.4%. Under normal circumstances, I have no idea what rate Toyota charges.

I was going to pay cash, too, but the money I was going to use was earning me 3.5%. I would rather have that interest going into my pocket than Toyota's. Toyota would have to give me a $2625 rebate to make me as much money at the 0% financing.
  • vjinvjin Member Posts: 2
    I have negotiated the OTD of this Rav4 as $29,300. Hope this was a good deal.
    RAV4 4WD LTD V-4 with Nav
    Extra value pkg with Nav
    Back up camera
    Mud guard
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mats
    I read the $4800 figure somewhere but I figure it would only be true if Toyota was normally financing at 6.4%. Under normal circumstances, I have no idea what rate Toyota charges.

I was going to pay cash, too, but the money I was going to use was earning me 3.5%. I would rather have that interest going into my pocket than Toyota's. Toyota would have to give me a $2625 rebate to make me as much money at the 0% financing.

I know it is out context of this board, but do you mind sharing info on the 3.5%?

After the stock market issues, I am a little gun shy of it, and have parked the remaining cash in a number of high yield (not really high if you ask me, 1.3 - 1.5% APY) savings accounts.

It still beats my parents' approach of keeping the cash under the mattress, but I feel that the money should be making money before it is completely devalued by the government.

Thanks.
  • jme2940jme2940 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sam,

I also live in Boston and am thinking about the RAV4 but was wondering about the lease deal you listed. Which location are you referring to that is offering the sign and drive out the door for $0 then $199 a month. The only deal I saw was $1999 down and $169 a month at the Braintree location, but would obviously much rather the deal you listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    I am getting 3.5% from Reliable Credit Association, Inc., in Milwaukie, Oregon. I think they also do business in Washington. It is a relatively small family owned business that my dad did business with for many years before he died. I am 67 and have done business with them for many years, too. I was a little concerned about how they were doing a year ago when everyone was talking Depression but they had exceptional earnings so I guess they are smart enough to handle the worst case scenerio. I used to live in Milwaukie but now live about 150 miles away. I just send them an e-mail if I want to take any money out of my account and they send me a check.
  • sam1978sam1978 Member Posts: 4
    Hi jme2940 -

The dealer was Herb Chambers in Boston. I sent you a PM about this, if you would like more details

Thx
    Thanks!
  • nyigornyigor Member Posts: 98
    I just received the quote in Florida: $21,599 plus taxes, tag and fees.
  • internetuser2internetuser2 Member Posts: 3
    2010 Rav4 Blizzard Pearl Model 4450
    Limited FWD 4 Cylinder Extra Value Package with Nav
    $26,300 Total Price of Vehicle with Options
    $797 Sales Tax
    $294.50 Dealer Admin Fee/Doc Fee
    $11 Registration/Tags

+ Ended up getting the 72 month extended warranty for $1,112
    Toyota of Henderson, NC.
    Extremely disappointed with the Toyota Nav. I'm used to the Nav on the 2005 Acura MDX. Toyota made me realize how good the Acura Nav is!! Night and day!
  • brixbrix Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a 2010 rav 4. 6 cylinder, auto, base model. Just started looking, best so far is 24,300 out the door. I'm thinking there's still plenty of room, especially with toyota's latest problem. I'm in the Southeast, what do you think, or what did you pay?

thanks,Brix
  • internetuser2internetuser2 Member Posts: 3
    I found truecar.com to be really helpful in determining the price to offer. if you hurry you can get the 0% which combined with a good negotiated price can turn out to be a very good deal.
    The MSRP for a base RAV4 with 6 cylinder is $24,510 so your price of $24,300 isn't much of a discount. I would at least go for $1000 below MSRP and also take advantage of the 5 yr 0% financing.
    The 24,300 is out the door. TTandT. I am wondering how far below that I should aim. Thanks
    Since you haven't said what your TTandT cost is, it is impossible for anyone to give you any numbers. Just look at the sticker price, drop it a thousand or so, add in the TTand T and that should be a reasonable price for a base RAV$.
    Actually, you should be able to get $1300 to $1500 below MSRP on a $24,000 RAV4.
    Evergreen, tax is about 1500, tag and title around 250 plus dealer prep which I see as dealer profit varies from 500 to 750. So all this is about 2250 to 2500. So they say their base is 22000 to 22500 plus this is around 24,250 out the door. I was looking to be at 22,000 OTD. Is that unrealistic? I don't think they pay more than 19,000 for the base. I can get a new 09 chevy silverado cab and 1/2 for around 22 out the door. I would just like the better mileage to a point.
    brix.....with the figures you provided, $24,250 OTD would be a good price. If the MSRP is $24,500, they actually paid around $23,000, not $19,000. If you can get them to sell it for $2200 OTD, keep it a secret or everyone from all over the country will be wanting to know who the dealer is.
  • rds9rds9 Member Posts: 5
    Paid 22600 OTD for a base model silver 4cyl rav4. Got 0% financing for the full amount + the 2yr maintenance. Is that a good deal? bought in roseville CA
  • ddororyddorory Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Since limited inventory of Rav 4 on my town, it was hard to buy rav 4
    2010 Rav4 4wd,v4.
    my break down. is
    MSRP$24600
    negociate car $22889
    tax 8.75% $1959
    TTL $172
    Rebate $1400
    ----------------------------------
    total $23121

I quailfied for 0% apr.

Is this a good deal? or just normal?
    That's a very good price, in my opinion. Since most people pay MSRP or maybe a few hundred less, you have done well. Enjoy.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I sold my honda accord 1997 for 4500 and bought RAV4 base 15.9k awsome little car. I put on Nudflaps myself and bought cargo liner off net...great car and fun to drive. I may pick up another for other daughter. Not a small car by any means
  • eryeerye Member Posts: 7
    What is the year of your RAV4? I just bought a 2010 RAV4, and have driven it for about a month. Everything is perfect except for the brake... I felt like I have to put more pressure and press very deep in order to stop it as compared to my old car, in which the brake was very commanding. Does anyone else have the similar feeling about the brake? Is that normal? It's a brand new car so I guess maybe I am just not used to it...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Toyota since Feb or are thinking about it, a reporter wants to hear from you. Email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
  • ljacobsonljacobson Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2010 Rav4 Limited 4 Cylinder. Sticker was $27,239 and I paid $24,800 and received the 0% for 60 Months Financing. I think anything 9% or more of MSRP with the financing is a good deal.
  • ljacobsonljacobson Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2010 Rav4 Limited 4 Cylinder. Sticker was $27,239 and I paid $24,800 and received the 0% for 60 Months Financing. I think anything 9% or more of MSRP with the financing is a good deal.

Purchased from WorldToyota in Atlanta, GA
  • jess4fjess4f Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed the same problem problem with soft and deeper travel on brake pedal
    on my 2010 RAV4. I 'm comparing it to Nissan Rogue which was more responsive.
  • arumallaarumalla Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 RAV4 for 15K with 31K driven...is that a good deal?
  • dawtipsdawtips Member Posts: 1
    I was just quoted a price for a 2009 RAV4 Limited AWD V6 at $29,100 out the door. This car has 2301 miles on it, so very low. My sales tax is 9.8% here. How does that look?
    Does anyone know what the retail price is for the 6yr/75,000 mile Platinum Warranty for the RAV4?. I have heard it is $1480 and only about $100 of it is dealer profit. I don't know if that is true or not. I realize some might pay a lot less or even get it free if the dealer gets a high enough price for the car but there must be some standard cost that Toyota charges the dealer.
  • eryeerye Member Posts: 7
    I bought the platinum warranty (7yr, 75k miles) for $1098 with the originial price at around $1598. My coworker paid the same price for his new Highlander so I guess it's about right.
    Just closed a deal on a new rav4 2wd, 6cyl,tow pkg. $23,000 out the door. The next lowest price was $24,300.
  • jln120jln120 Member Posts: 1
    I need help with my quote!

I just received a internet quote for 4WD 2.5 L - 4-cyl RAV4 with 3rd seating in Super White/Ash.

Options included are:
    50 State Emissions
    Base L4 EVP Package
    Black Roof Rails w/Crossbars
    Daytime Running Lights
    Rear Privacy Glass
    Third Row 50/50 Split Seat
    Wheels: 17" 5-Spoke Styled Steel
    BluLogic (bluetooth)
    Carpet Floor Mats w/3rd Row

MSRP: $25343
    Internet/Phone Quote: $24049.52 plus tax and tags.

Location I'm buying is eastern PA and Northern NJ area. Could you let me know what you think of this price? It seems awfully high compared to some of the post, but location seems to make a huge difference. I missed the 0% finance, but hope to take advantage of the 2.9%/60 mo.
  • lilichouchoulilichouchou Member Posts: 1
    I found one certificated pre-owned RAV4 BASE 4WD 4-cyl 4-Spd AT with 3rd row at the local dealer.

It has 2,040 miles on it, and the MSRP is $23,951.

I checked the CARFAX showed someone bought it 11/2009 and sold it 02/2010.

I really like this car, but I don't know is that possible that this car might have some problems and the previous owner returned it to Toyota, and now the problems have been solved and put in the market again? :confuse:

Thanks a lot.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    that sounds like about $26,500 before tax, which doesn't sound all that great to me for a used, last model year car. if the car stickers for about $32k new and you can buy it for about $28k, then this one is only $1500 below the price of a new one...just my rough thoughts.
  • super_exitonsuper_exiton Member Posts: 14
    does your Rav4 have a VIN starting with J? If it was built in Japan, the pedal was not replaced. Some people claimed that those built in US has this problem with soft and deeper travel on the brake pedal after replacing the pedal.
  • bsurbsur Member Posts: 1
    msrp $26224 (base msrp $24775, $669 SEV package and $800 delivery), let me have it for $24492, free 36 month loan and 2 year auto care premium coverage, i'm in mass and this is a dark charcoal supposedly hard to find, 4 c, 4 speed, should i try to get for less? will be trading in a highlander, 110,000 miles, 4 c, 4s, do i go for the lowest price for the rav and then negotiate for the highlander trade in price, all info would be appreciated, should i be concerned with a new 2010 rav with the toyota problems out there
  • iamstidiiamstidi Member Posts: 1
    The MSRP for this vehicle is $32522. This is a 2010 rav4 limited v6 4wd. It is the blizzard pearl color, with the navigation package, vehicle tint, backup camera, tow package, vehicle shield protection package and 5 piece carpeted floor mat set. I was able to negotiate the price to $32500 OTD with them adding running boards. Is this a good price? I live in the Houston area.
    Maybe Texas is wierd but in Oregon I could easily drive that RAV4 out the door for around $30,500 from just about any dealer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    No sales tax in Oregon, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What is a sales tax? :)
  • believe20001believe20001 Member Posts: 1
    i just got one 4wd,v6,5spd. the sticker price was 26881.00,and i got it for 24450.00 plus tax and tag. with 2 years maintenance free 0% finance, is that a good offer?,
  • crvexl4wdcrvexl4wd Member Posts: 35
    I bought RAV4 Sports 4 Cyl 4WD AT and Camry LE on April 30 and traded my Acura MDX Tech. Here are the prices.
    Acura MDX Tech 2008 23K miles was traded for 35K (KBB Excellent condition traded in price was $36K and Good condition was $34K)

2010 New RAV4 Sports 4 Cly 4WD AT was bought for $23951 (including Dest) Plus tax (8%), Doc fee $154.38, title $194, County tax and fee $40. Options included were BC, FE, QX, RM, TC, CF.

2010 New Camry LE was bought for $21K (including Dest) Plus tax (8%), Doc fee $154.38, title $194, County tax and fee $40. Options included were FE, SR, CF. Then I got $1.5K Toyota Rebate too to make price even lower.

Also I paid $700 for each vehicle for 8 years 75K miles Toyota Bumper to Bumper extended protection plan.

Trade in benefit was applied to both cars and I paid only $11451 out the door for both cars.

Also Toyota is giving free maintenance for 2 years for both cars.

How is this deal?
  • aquilles10aquilles10 Member Posts: 3
    I live in L.A. and am in the market for either a RAV4 V6 or a Highlander. I inquired my local dealer about prices and was told that there was only one Highlander model in stock, a fully loaded 4WD Limited. And there was only one V6 RAV4 on the lot, again a 4WD Limited. I want the Sport model of either. Thinking that this dealer was full of it, I contacted another dealer and was basically told the same.

Is anyone else getting this same story in L.A. or any part of the country for that matter? It's kinda lame that Toyota is advertising all of these specials and don't have many in stock.
  • abbotsburyabbotsbury Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have the experience of trying to buy the Limited 4WD 4Cyl and being unable to find one without a backup camera? We don't want the camera and yet right now can't find the car without it in the DC/Baltimore region.

Salespeople (I've spoken to around 20 dealers at this point) tell me that the car routinely comes with this configuration and that to buy it without the camera requires an order from the factory.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    so why not just buy one with the back up camera? cant be that much more than the car itself.
    Well.. largely 'cause it's a $500 option that has no value to us.
  • ks206ks206 Member Posts: 2
    Base 2010 RAV4, 4X4, V6 with extra value package
    Invoice:- 25300 excluding taxes and tags
    APR 2.9%
    Monthly payment =480

Can any one tell me how is this deal ? Should I go for it or bargain more ?

Thanks.
    Are you negotiating a monthly payment or the sale price of the car? The only way you can tell what you're paying in the interest rate is to negotiate the sale price of the car first, the financing separately, and then make a cash flow model of the monthly payments and residual value and find the internal rate of return (IRR function in a spreadsheet.)

We just took delivery of a new RAV4 LTD last night and paid below what TrueCar said is the current dealer cost. So if your dealer offered you invoice I would either push them or shop the deal more widely depending on what TrueCar or Edmunds data is telling you about the prices paid in your area.

I really recommend using the internet to solicit bids from multiple dealers. You can tell who has the exact car you want by checking their Web sites (where most show current inventory) and then who has the lowest-cost dealer structure by the initial bids you get. I did this and it worked really well (and I hadn't bought a new car in years.) I didn't actually have a conversation in person with a salesman until I called six of them to get final bids.

Also, line up the financing separately through a bank or credit union. At the dealership it's a shell game designed to claw back what they give up relative to the invoice. Remember, no dealer (or anyone else) is willing to lend to you below the rate at which your credit score indicates a commercial bank would lend to you. If a dealer appears to be cutting you a break on the financing relative to the rate a bank is offering you then that dealer is making you pay more than the difference in the sale price of the car relative to his cost.

In the eyes of most dealers we're potential marks. Their strategy is to confuse us by putting as much stuff on the table simultaneously in the form of a single package.

Good luck.