Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    A question to all of you who have been paying under invoice, plus getting the rebates: is this on 2012 models? I still see 2011 models on the lots. One dealer in my area (Portland, OR) is advertising 3327 off MSRP on all 2011 models, but is not advertising prices on 2012 models. When I went in just for a test drive and preliminary research, they were offering MSRP. I didn't get into serious negotiation, but they didn't really give any hints that there was room to bargain. I know there is always room to bargain, but usually I use the advertisements in the paper as an idea of prices and no dealers in my area are putting 2012 RAV4s in their newspaper ads.
  • cursorcursor Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I bought a 2012. Email the dealers in your area and let them know that you're shopping on price. One of them will send you a lowish price that will let you work with the other dealers. But I must say I envy you your lack of sales tax in Oregon! I paid 9.6%.

On an aside, I am reading that the Yokohama Geolander tires that came standard on my truck aren't so hot. Is that right? Reports on tirerack.com say that they need replacing between 20-30k miles...? Anybody got experience with these? On a positive note, I figured out from the VIN that my car was made in Japan. That's a pleasant surprise as I figured it was made in Canada like the others that I'd seen.
  • jonsie1130jonsie1130 Member Posts: 1
    hi, I just bought a 2012 Rav4 8 days ago and I opted for the 0% interest. I do not see a link for a rebate on this forum? could you please help! Thanks
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    Thanks for the replies on my question. One more question for those who have bought for x$ under invoice: Are you starting from the invoice price as reported on edmunds or the invoice printout at the dealer? I signed up on the costco website and went to a dealer to get the costco price and they showed me an invoice price that included a markup of almost $500 over the invoice price shown here on edmunds. They said the costco price was $500 over that invoice - so almost $1000 over the invoice shown here on edmunds.
  • practicalbuypracticalbuy Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2012
    We did not see the dealer's invoice. But saw his MSRP.. stuck to the window of the car.. and their MSRP was matching with the MSRP of Edmunds.

We have bought cars in the past too and always trusted and believed in Edmunds information on car prices.

We too mentioned them the costco membership... and our dealer said that the price he was offering us was better than the Costco Price.
    edited May 2012
    Hi Cursor.. you have got a good deal inspite of the $750 cash back because in all you got $1058 BELOW the Invoice Price.

We have a $1000 "customer cash" here in Michigan.. and we still got $1000 below invoice which means that there was still a $250 additional margin we could have bargained (if we knew about it before).
  • barguglbargugl Member Posts: 26
    I don't doubt you, but few incentives are truly employed on a national basis so it is dependent on where you live. For example some regions are getting either $1,000 cash back or 0% financing, while others are only getting $750 or 0% financing on the Rav4 right now.
    edited May 2012
    Hi bargugl, how did you get the $1000 graduate incentive?
    Did you show them your transcripts etc.? or a Graduate Certificate?

I think you have got the BEST DEAL on your RAV4, i.e. $2250 below invoice + 0 percent financing because we here had an option either get customer cash incentive or 0% financing and we opted for the $1000 customer cash incentive.

You did full homework and armed yourself with full ammunition before walking into the dealership....

Congratulations. Got to learn a lot from you :)
    edited May 2012
    Hi gregonman,

If it is of any help to you.. a dealer in Michigan has advertised in a local newspaper on Thursday May, 17th, 2012.

NEW 2012 RAV4 4WD for $22,217**
    ** PRICE+TAX,TITLE,PLATE,$190 DOC FEE& dest. ALL REBATES TO DEALER. RAV4 0% UP TO 60 MONTH.
    0% financing available

Enjoy the experience :)
    Pacticalbuy, thanks for the kind words. I have felt that I have gotten burned in the past or at least feeling like I didn't get the best deal possible, so this time I went in armed with as much information as possible. I looked online to see dealer inventory then chose one at the level of equipment I wanted to test drive before going in. I then created my own offer sheet with paperwork to back it up and gave it to the dealer, based on quotes I had gotten. I clearly broke it down into dealer discount, then clearly listing the incentives I wished to use and not use. All that was laid out with a bottom line price I was willing to pay. By doing this, I instantly laid out to the salesman that I knew what I was doing and got them to talk about bottom line on my terms, rather than the usual attempts to try to play math games with the various incentives and trying to talk about payments, etc. I had a folder full of papers that I brought with me.

As far as the grad incentive, I used an unofficial transcript that I had printed out. You can find the info on qualifications here:
    Toyota grad program
  • shipwrecktshipwreckt Member Posts: 4
    This is for a base 2wd with upgrade value package (sunroof, etc.). Does this sound good or can I do a lot better?

$22,298.00 Special Internet Sales Price - (Includes current cash incentives if any)
    $ 668.94 3% Sales Tax for NC
    $ 499.00 Doc fee
    $ 9.30 Inspection fee
    $ 30.00 Electronic filing fee
    $ 74.00 Tags & title
    $23,579.24 Out the door or Total Amount Financed
  • swat123swat123 Member Posts: 9
    Doesn't look like a great deal, just about avg. If you were to take another $1000 off for down payment rebate - then it would have been a resonable deal. Else this is pretty much std price...
    Hello, the invoice is around ~$22K for base + moon-roof package (from all research I have done). So you should easily get $21K after $1K downpayment match rebate OR instead get 0% finance. Secondly, dealer has additional $1K incentive for each RAV4 they sell so you can look for at least $500 off from invoice or $1K if dealer is ready to sell.
    edited May 2012
    swat123, no offense but I am not sure where you are coming up with an invoice of 22k for a base rav4 with moonroof package unless you are forgetting to include the $810 destination charge. A rav4 base with moonroof package and floormats has an MSRP of $24,830 and an invoice price of $23,215 before any rebates and including destination. This is confirmed via Edmunds, KBB and several other sites (and if there is an advertising fee the invoice will be even higher, which is what appears on Truecar). I know that some sites do give prices wihout the desitnation charge so its important to check and make sure that those are added on. Therefore the initial quote he received of $22,298 is about $1000 below invoice already and $2600 off msrp but probably is including rebates. The $22,298 is also well below Edmunds suggested TMV, not that that is the end all and be all, but it is still relevant data. If the $22,298 quote is not including destination, then by all means there is a lot more room to negotiate.
    I am not sure whether the destination charge is included in the final amount of the car but I am certain that the $23,579 is the final out the door price. I know I can get the dealer to go lower but not sure where to work up from in terms of my counteroffer. I prefer to work around out the door prices.

Does the dealer have extra incentive to deal if I am paying $12000-$14000 for a down payment?
    I think they are gouging you on that doc fee and there probably is still a couple hundred bucks of room on the vehicle itself. You can probably legitimately get them to knock off another $500 in all off the OTD. E-mail other dealers in the area and see if they can beat that quoted price. If you can't get a better quote to leverage against the dealer and the dealer won't budge any on price, you can also push for free accessories and maintenance (though Toyota already gives you 2 years free). Don't buy the extended warranty through your dealer if you are interested in it. You can buy Toyota's extended plan through any dealer you want at any point until the vehicle is 3 years or 36k miles. There's a dealer in Missouri that sells them far cheaper than anyone else. you just call them and they'll bill it to your credit card. Toyota's extended warranty is good to use at any Toyota dealer. There's threads at both toyotanation and rav4world about it.
  • hvn0506hvn0506 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2012
    I went into a dealership today with my best quote. Was given a quote of $21,800 as their best offer after $1000 cash incentive and $1000 grad rebate. Told him I got a better quote by $1000 EXCLUDING the $1000 grad rebate (so better quote by $2000), so what can you do.

Finally, after a lot of reluctance on my part and saying I will just go buy the car in the other dealer, they finally agreed to my price. I got $19.8K for a silver 2012 RAV4 Base FWD. It had previously been left out, and there was hail, and caused some damage, although when I inspected it, there were no longer any cosmetic problems.

So, after applying the $750 Edmund's cashback, I would have paid $19,050 for a NEW RAV4. That is a killer price and I'm very happy with it. MSRP was $23,925 (Base w/value package), and I got it for almost $5K less.

So, recap:

MSRP $23,925
    Sale Price $21,800
    Minus $1000 cash incentive
    Minus $1000 grad incentive
    Minus $750 Edmunds rebate
    Plus $387 doc fee
    Plus TTL $1531
    = $20,968
    Congratulations :)
    Enjoy your RAV4.
    Happy Memorial Weekend !!
    Dear hvn0506,
    $21K for base w/value package BEFORE any incentive ($1K cash, $1K Grad and Edmunds $750) has been offered by one of the dealers to me. I am still shopping.
    Yeah, I'm sure the prices of the RAV4 will keep going down as the 2013 gets prepped for release. I'm moving this weekend, so this will help a lot with the space (I also have a Honda Fit Sport) so between the two, will be great.

What dealership did you get the quote at? I'm sure everyone would like to know considering I have yet to meet a dealership who would even touch that price.
    edited May 2012
    The prices of RAV4 will keep going down probably... but then we do not know if the RAV4 with those particular options that one desires will be available or not... as the production of RAV4 2013 must have already started (and there may be only so many 2012 models to sell) and 2012 models are a close out.

For example being in snow belt of Michigan.. for me 4WD option is very important, but then I may not get it, if I wait too long.
    On the other hand... if lot of models with sunroof option is left over, those prices may come down.

At the same time if MANY buyers are waiting for prices to go down and few 2012 models are available (dealers receiving calls from the buyers will sense it i.e. demand vs. supply) and may actually not budge in their deals on 2012 RAV4's either. i.e. many points to consider here..... But then an equally competitive Honda CRV is always there :)

Well it is your personal choice in the matter, and the amount of risk you are willing to take, while waiting for prices to go down.

I will watch this forum for some time to understand the demand vs. supply and price trend.
    According to this chart, they are taking build orders from dealers for the 2012 until September. 2013 model won't see production until December which means delivery to dealer in January or February of 2013. Given that we have yet to see any sort of unveil or leak already of the 2013 and we are already at the end of May, I'd have to say that this is probably right.
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-toyota.aspx
    edited May 2012
    Yeah,

I considered many other options before buying the RAV4. I considered another Honda Fit, the CRV, the Ford Focus, the Mazda CX-5 and Mazda 3, the Hyundai Elantra GT (won't be out until July at the earliest) and Accent, and the Prius. Basically, all hatchback/5-door versions with decent gas mileage.

After going through all of that, and getting quotes for all the cars, we thought the RAV4 was the best bang for buck. It would give us the ability to grow into in a few years as we start our family and get more pets, and the incentives were just right.

If the Hyundai Elantra GT was already out with a known MSRP, we may have put off the buy until it was released. Alas, they still haven't released it, and because we don't know how the market will look in a month or two down the road, we decided to purchase now.

I have no qualms with the price I paid for my RAV4. Got it at Beaman Toyota in Nashville. The lowest quote I got was from Toyota Direct in Columbus, OH for $20.8K after $1000 customer cashback (not including grad cashback).

good luck to all who are considering buying a car. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable process, and salesmen do not make it easy. Just be sure of what your price points are for each car you are considering, and do not waiver from it. If the dealer refuses, you can and should walk. More likely than not, unless your price point is completely unreasonable, they'll budge, especially if it is end of the month.
    edited May 2012
    LOL....... bargugl..
    How did you get this information...??

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-toyota.aspx

What else do you know about RAV4's
    May be for once we should put all buyers in strong position....
    So far it is always the dealers who are in strong position.

Hey Toyota RAV4 buyers... You all got to share your winning stories with us..
    Found it on this Rav4world thread:
    http://www.rav4world.com/forums/105-rav4-news-reviews-videos/89810-spy-pics-2014- -rav4-2.html#post915781

Lot's of good Rav4 info on that site, both good and bad. I'm not a dealer or a salesman if that is what you are implying.
    Naa... bargugl...I know that you are not a dealer or a salesman...
    My sixth sense already told me so...

In fact we all in this form appreciate all the help/information you can provide...
  • chopperkid2000chopperkid2000 Member Posts: 4
    I just bough a 2012 rav 4 limited. I has carpet mats and premium plus package. The msrp was 27385.00 My purchase agreement says 24496.00. We then added tax and title etc.
    I got 0 percent financing for 60 months.. Does this sound inline. A little late I know..
    edited May 2012
    Here is my final offer from a local dealer. This is for the RAV4 base FWD with the upgrade value package that includes the sunroof, privacy glass, etc. I was hoping to do better but I am about to run out of time to cash in on the 0% for 60 months. I also got the Edmunds rebate to utilize so the final OTD after Edmunds will be $22417.24.

I could have gotten a few hundred less at a competitor but this dealer also gives a lifetime engine and powertrain warranty for the life of the vehicle while I own it. I am sure that it has plenty of caveats but figured it would be worth a few hundred extra in case of receiving a catastrophic lemon of a car.

MSRP $24,675.00
    INVOICE $23,898.00
    Special Internet Sales Price
    (Includes Current Cash Incentives If Any) $21,898.00
    DISCOUNT FROM MSRP

$2,777.00
    TOTAL BEFORE TAXES AND FEES $21,898.00
    - TRADE $0.00
    NET $21,898.00
    TAX 3% $656.94
    DEALER FEES $499.00
    TAGS, TITLE & INSPECTION $113.30

OUT THE DOOR PRICE $23,167.24
    Got today one I was looking for and probably at a good enough deal.

Base 2.5L FWD with 3rd row and value package + floor mat at $21,600
    Took $1000 rebate on top of this
    Will apply for $750 edmunds now

Final after fees and taxes (8.25%) out of door in CA is $21,950 (after $1000 rebate and $750 edmunds).

I could have got another $500 off from base price but in entire Northern CA, only 3-4 Rav4 were available with 3rd row package during this memorial day weekend and all but one were in white color, which I didn't want!

Tip: If you are looking for base (w/o 3rd row) - you may try to get in $20,500 to $21,000 as cost. If you are taking base + moon roof - you may try to get anywhere from $21,00 to $21,500

Good luck!
    Congratulations on your RAV4 Purchase :) Join the family.

Chopperkid200... how much did you pay OTD..?

Will you please give the price break up?
  • micro44444micro44444 Member Posts: 2
    Congrats swat123. May I ask which dealer in CA you got this price from? Also, can you list the best quotes that you received from other dealers in Northern CA. I am in the market for a LX 2WD RAV4 and the best I have received so far is 23092$ after the 1000$ rebate. Thanks!!
  • jliubicjliubic Member Posts: 1
    I got the 2012 RAV4 Sport 4x2 6 cyl (with sunroof, roofrack, etc for 25,600 + t&l) minus the rebate and my cost was 24,850. did you also get the $750 rebate from Toyota thru Edmunds.com?
  • hattrickhattrick Member Posts: 2
    Bought a V4 4WD base model with the value package in Northern Virginia. Out the door price (includin tax title tags and all rebates applied) was $23,000. Was this a good deal??
    It is definately better than our deal.. Did you also get the $1000 graduation Rebate..??

Congratulations on your new RAV4..... :)
  • lanpingdlanpingd Member Posts: 3
    Great price, can you share the dealer information? :)
    May 31st... end of the month.. is actually a good day to get bargains...
    Many dealers are trying to reach their monthly sales target...

Enjoy your car buying experience...
    micro44444, most of the south bay dealer are at cloud 9 as there is lot of demand of toyota here.. the sales folks are arrogant and not willing to work with you... But, you can try to negotiate via email first then by phone. I went as far as Merced while making an inquiry. The palo alto and stevens guys were particularly rude and so was dublin.
    The fremont guy (Jay) was reasonable to deal with and should be able to give you the deals I mentioned (or at least will work with you to come close to it). Though I bought from another dealer as fremont didn't have the car I wanted. I bought from stockton but he went back on his word for couple of things and I had a bad experience just dealing with him. Ultimately, I got the car I wanted but I would not recommend that dealership to anyone for any purchase, very rude and zero customer service, they trap you to visit and they play games. Sales person I dealt was nice and she went out of her way to personally help where she could.

Good luck.
    Went in to sign the paperwork last night and they tried a financing trick saying I couldn't get the Toyota no interest financing but got me some other at 1.5% trying to make a few hundred off me. I then said that should make me eligible for the $1000 customer cash back. They tried to say no but ultimately caved.

2012 Toyota RAV4 2WD with moonroof upgrade package
    $20898 plus tax, title, fees, and the paltry interest=roughly 22,500 OTD take off another 750 Edmunds equals about 21750 OTD.
    edited May 2012
    So I guess.. you have got $1000 customer cash back .. and loan for only 1.5% interest rate... that is awesome ...

We went for the $1000 rebate.. and they gave us loan at 3.99 %.

Congratulations. Enjoy your RAV4 :)
  • psk3psk3 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased Base RAV4 four cylinder, two wheel drive, with third row seat option in DC metro area today (5/31). Went with my own financing from credit union for 1.99% (72 Mos) and received $1500 discount from the dealer.

Price break down:
    20283 + Tax, Tags, Fee= $21500
    Edmunds Discount = $750

OTD Price = $20750
    edited May 2012
    Looks like a very good deal.... (compared to edmunds pricing.. I think your discount from dealer is more than $1500)

I was reading some place that now credit union financing is available from the dealers too. BUT.... Got to do more research on it.

Congratulations on your purchase of your new RAV4 :)
    psk3, you have beaten me by $300 on base price for this same deal! Congrats! I wish there were more 3rd row inventory available in northern CA.
  • micro44444micro44444 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks swat123!! You are true about dealers here being rude ..
    edited June 2012
    27k with all fees and taxes.
    Mine is a limited 2wd with premium plus package and carpet mats.
    This is no rebates etc. included. I also got o% apr for 5 years!! I will put a break down later.
    It was like 24496.
    with like 1765 in taxes
    I want to say 600 in dealer fees yada yada yada
    Anyway out the door price was 27k on the nose.
    I put 3 k down and payments are 400 a month for 60 months.
    chopperkid,
    In my opinion you got around invoice price... plus zero percent financing.

Are you applying for the $750 rebate.

I believe your deal is very much comparable to our RAV4 deall :)
    Kind of a mood point. But is that a decent price?
    I think sticker was like 27683 or something.
    Yes I have applied for the edmunds rebate but I didn't include that in the above. Just trying to post apples to apples..
    Thx for the reply!
  • psk3psk3 Member Posts: 6
    Did you get 0% finance from Toyota? My financing is from credit union, that is the reason I got 500 additional discount.

You are correct from your post low inventory with third row seat. I could not get the color I wanted and have to compromise with the blue color which is in dealers hand.
    edited June 2012
    Under the circumstances WE purchased... I consider it decent..

I had visited this forum then... and there were hardly any entries from buyers. In fact I remember wondering.. if there were anybody even buying Toyota RAV4... Comparatively.. the Honda CRV forum was much more active.
    We wanted Toyota RAV4 because we wanted something that did not look like the current SUV's i.e. (like a wagon). Therefore the WHEEL and door behind this RAV4 was appealing to us.

Our buying RAV4 was like jumping into an ocean... not knowing the depth of the water.. There were hardly any clues.

Check my very very FIRST entry in this forum and you will know what I am talking about. It is heartening to see that this forum has become very active now and each one is helping the other like a great Team Work.. trying to swim together.. :)

Yes under the circumstances I believe it is a decent deal. Your deal is very much comparable with MY deal for Toyota.. rav4 :). And we too have applied for the rebate from Edmunds.. and still awaiting the money.
  • grgpgrgp Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum. I am wondering what is $750 Edmunds rebate ?
    If you can give some information on that it would be great.

Thanks!
  • pointx2ypointx2y Member Posts: 4
    Price paid $28k - $2500 rebates ($500+$1000+grad rbt $1000) = $25,500. Tax Tag title OTD Price $27,500. 2.25% TFS finance. The usual premium and premium plus packages.
    MSRP $31679, Invoice (as posted by dealer) $30101. There was some more room to negotiate but missed!

Submitting $750 edmunds rebate tomorrow!

Hope this info helps.