Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Please note that the sponsors of these sorts of incentives do not allow us to publish specific details about how they can be accessed.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host - Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chopperkid2000chopperkid2000 Member Posts: 4
    Got ya. didn't know that.
  • swat123swat123 Member Posts: 9
    psk3, my focus was base price (i.e. dealer price, before fees, taxes, rebates, financing, etc). Did not consider Financing as I was taking $1000 rebate so I could do cash down or take available financing rate. At this time I took ~2.9% but I will refinance soon..
  • psk3psk3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Swat123,

I did not get Mud guards included in my vehicle, how about yours? Looks like this is additional purchase for third row RAV4s. I haven't purchased them yet.
  • kksmom001kksmom001 Member Posts: 17
    I live in the DC area and are looking for the same which dealership did you use? How is the 3rd row seat? Is it easy to access by 7yr olds?

Is yours four wheel or front wheel drive?
    edited June 2012
    My Rav4 is Front wheel drive and Dealer, Leesburg Toyota in Virginia.

Third row is just OK for a 7year old during short trips but definitely not comfortable for teens and beyond. Kid can sleep in entire third row during long journeys.
  • pjnitpjnit Member Posts: 1
    Got a RAV4 Base I4 AWD today for

$23,450 base cost
    $150 Doc
    $200 Registration
    $2298 Ridiculous 9.8% WA State Tax
    -$1000 Grad rebate

OTD for $25,100 with 0% financing, sending in the Edmunds rebate this week.
  • hattrickhattrick Member Posts: 2
    Dont bother with rebate -- its a big scam. They will notify you the rebate invalid and when you contact the call center to discuss it they blow you off. Toyota would be better served by having a different process for a rebate. They are just upsetting their customer base when the rebate is denied. This promotion is back firing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the rebate process. Please note that these offers are only available to buyers who register for them prior to purchasing a vehicle. See our related FAQ for more details.

If you feel that your case hasn't been handled properly, please email us via our Contact Us form so that we can investigate and respond. Or if you prefer, you may contact me directly, karen@edmunds.com.
  • practicalbuypracticalbuy Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2012
    Hello friends..

We did receive our $750 Rebate.

We followed all the guidelines.. and applied for the $750 rebate BEFORE our Toyota RAV4 purchase.

This rebate is a consolation because our toyota purchase price (deal) was not as extraordinary as claimed by many of our friends over here... as at the time there were not enough clues on price negotiatons.

Check my very first message no. 3669 and 3670 , posted on April 30, 2012.

Hoping to hear similar good news from many of our other fellow Toyota RAV4 purchasers too.
    CORRECTION:

Apply = REGISTER..

We registered for the Toyota RAV4 rebate .. BEFORE the purchase actual purchase of our RAV4.
  • jasonqjasonq Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...

We've been looking for a RAV4 with third-row seating, either new or lightly used. We've managed to find a brand-new one locally. It's a base 4WD model (4432A).

The only options on the car are the 3rd-row seat itself ($940 MSRP) and the Value Package ($150 MSRP) that's required with it. Base MSRP is $24,050.; with options it's $25,950.

It's not quite the color we'd prefer (black instead of silver), but we've decided we can cope with that. The only other currently-available option for brand new is a red one, which we don't want.

All the used ones we can find w/ the 3rd-row are at least a few hundred miles away, and the price difference really isn't significant enough in our opinion to warrant the hassle.

The dealer we're talking to doesn't currently have the car on the lot. However, the dealership that DOES have it is very close - in the same town, in fact. So there would have to be a cross-town transfer involved.

The dealer we're talking to offered us the car today for $24,300 out the door (including the $750 factory rebate - and yes, I've registered for the Edmunds rebate too).

I know the holdback on the car is 2% of base MSRP, or $481 if I've calculated right.

So, I guess I'm wondering - is $24300-750 Edmunds Rebate=$23550 a good price for this car?

I was thinking of seeing if I could get them to come down to at least $24,000 and maybe throw in mudguards and the all-weather floormats. Do y'all think that'd be reasonable?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    edited June 2012
    Dear Jasong,

Your OTD price of 24300 for RAV4 4wd + 3rd row seat option is definately much better than what we have paid when we purchased our Rav4 (.... WITHOUT the 3rd row seat option ....) on April 30th. In my opinion there are not many RAV4's with the 3rd row seat option available.

Hope this helps :)

All the best .
    edited June 2012
    Hi jasong,

I bought third row seat RAV4 on may 31st. Out the door, 21500 - 750(edmunds rebate) = 20750. Only difference being mine is front wheel drive. So you can add up 4 wheel cost to it. No mud flops included, purchased online for 40+ dollars and is pretty easy to mount them.

Financed through my (1.99%) credit union, did not go with 0% toyota financing. There are limited third row seat vehicles in the market and you have to compromise with color. I was looking for Black forest pearl or silver but settled with pacific blue. Not bad though.

Hope this is helpful. All the best with your search.
  • patibandlapatibandla Member Posts: 7
    All,

Can you suggest me if the offer i have got RAV 4 - base - 2WD with 3rd seats and leather heated seats

Base $22,650.00
    Options $1,688.00
    Manuf. Delv, Proc, & Hndlg $880.00
    Total $25,218.00

After all the dealer rebates the offered price is $25,218.00 . please let me know if this is the best offer or not.
    Hi Patbandla,
    Have you calculated the Invoice price and the Manufacturers Price on this vehicle? What is it (including destination) ?
    Is 25,218.00 OTD price?

Does your offer include
    1) Incentive to customer OR 0 percent financing
    2) Incentive to dealer
    3) Graduate Rebate of $1000
    4) Edmunds rebate of $750

Buddy... need some more information before giving you our decision :)

Also there may be some 4th of July sales around :)
    25,218.00 is the sales price after $2000.00 dealer intensive.

also comes with 0% or another $1000.00 off. I have opted 0%.

below fees are additional :
    Doc Fee: $599.99
    State & Local Taxes: $722.00
    Total License and Fees: $129.00

OTD price is $26,665.00
    edited June 2012
    Hi Patibandla,

I sincerely feel that your quote is on the higher side..

But then I am also aware that THIRD ROW seat cars are not easily available.

Do not know much about leather heated seats (but have heard that it can be installed even at the dealer's place). So may be you can ask different dealers "how much they will install the leather seats with heating for"?

Do you have other dealers around with whom you can bargain. Also 4th of July sales is around the corner....

We did internet shopping which was very easy... less stressful and convenient. I spoke with the manager on the phone. All we had to do was just walk into the dealership and sign the papers.

Register for Edmunds Rebate ... BEFORE buying the car.

Hope this helps.

All the Best :)
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the comment. what would be the reasonable price?

Leather heated seats are costing $1599.00.

Can you please explain how to register for edmunds rebate?

Thanks!!
  • 2112yyz2112yyz Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    my first post--i live in newton, NJ. i want a RAV4 Limited 4dr 6 cyl 3.5L 4WD 5-speed Automatic. can i get it for 27,716 ?? or can i get better price?? looking for the sandy beach color which is harder to get. will they play games over the color ??

thanks !

26,788 base
    27,598 base + dest
    26,682 dealer cost (deducted 610 holdback & whol finance reserve 306)
    26,402 deducted 280 from TDA (dealer wants 480)
    28,212 premium option @ 1,810
    27,462 deduct 750 customer cash
    27,716 added 75 doc fees and a sales commission

27,716 TOTAL
    edited June 2012
    I do know that in this forum one of our buyers ended up buying a 4WD instead of the base FWD model all because he liked that color better.

Probably try something like that when it comes to color :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please note that the sponsors of these offers do not allow Edmunds to publish any specific details about how or when they become available.

If you have any questions, please send them to me in an email. karen@edmunds.com

Thank you for your cooperation!

Karen
    Edmunds Community Manager
    edited June 2012
    Your reasonable price would be around to $23,000 (give or take a few dollors) especially because your tax is only $722. (what state do you live in..?)

I did post another reply on how to register for the Edmunds $750 rebate.. but it has been deleted. See message of the HOST.

But please do understand that it is not easy to get A RAV4 with a THIRD ROW option..

Hope this helps

All the best.
  • vivekasticvivekastic Member Posts: 9
    I have been offered V6 2WD Sport with backup camera at 27500$ OTD. It includes taxes (8.5%) and fees.

Is that a good deal in today's market?
    edited June 2012
    Hi Vivek,
    Do not know much about the cost of backup camera.

Are you getting 0% financing OR cash to customer option?

Register for Edmunds rebate BEFORE buying RAV4.
    Thanks. I have already registered for Ed rebate.

Backup camera option is 905 MSRP.

Any opinion on how I did on my 27500 OTD?

Its probably cash to customer option. I don't know. I just haggled on OTD.
    edited June 2012
    Hi Vivek,
    There are not many clues in this forum on the RAV4 Sport suv's.

But I figured that there is a difference of approx $400 between a limited and a sport RAV4.

I am in Michigan... where Customer incentive is $1000 OR 0 % interest for 5 years car loan.

From where are you getting your loan from... (or are you having a trade-in-car and paying the rest in cash... some people do that too)

I believe in California Customer cash is $750 (not sure).

Below is a copy paste from another RAV4 buyer... see if there are any clues for you on the price:

#3766 of 3793 Bought Rav4 Ltd 4WD V6 by pointx2y Jun 03, 2012 (4:34 am)
    Price paid $28k - $2500 rebates ($500+$1000+grad rbt $1000) = $25,500. Tax Tag title OTD Price $27,500. 2.25% TFS finance. The usual premium and premium plus packages.
    MSRP $31679, Invoice (as posted by dealer) $30101. There was some more room to negotiate but missed!

Submitting $750 edmunds rebate tomorrow!

Here is a copy paste from another buyer..

#3766 of 3793 Bought Rav4 Ltd 4WD V6 by pointx2y Jun 03, 2012 (4:34 am)
    Price paid $28k - $2500 rebates ($500+$1000+grad rbt $1000) = $25,500. Tax Tag title OTD Price $27,500. 2.25% TFS finance. The usual premium and premium plus packages.
    MSRP $31679, Invoice (as posted by dealer) $30101. There was some more room to negotiate but missed!

Submitting $750 edmunds rebate tomorrow!

Hope this helps
    thank you for your reply practical. it is difficult for me, since i feel that is comparing apples to oranges. i don't qualify for those extra rebates and NJ's limit is 750. i'm paying all cash (of course i won't disclose till signed). and to boot i'm brand new at this. i have spent countless hours researching this & doing my homework.

i think my starting price of 27,716 is possible but not likely. my limit would be 28,127. i know V6 is not as popular as the 4-cyl. my concerns are i eliminated the $ 916 for holdback & reserve and only alloted 200 out of the 480 for TDA. Will a NJ dealer accept that and cave-in for 27,716 ??

thanks
    George
    Thanks for the pointers. It ended up being a hoax. The salesperson emailed me again saying he made a mistake and applied the 1k rebate twice. So it turns out to be 28.5. I would hate to buy at that price.
    edited June 2012
    Vivek,

JUNE 29/30 is a Very good day to look for DEALS... June 30, being a Saturday do not know if Toyota dealers are open on that day.

Car dealers are looking forward to meeting their MONTH END SALES QUOTA..

There may be many more Toyota dealers in your area... try them all.

It is all a matter of demand and supply.

I know that because of these rebates and incentives (being a close out model for 2012) many have bought RAV4's this year... including ourselves. We were initially looking at Honda CRV and then ended up buying RAV4.

Sometimes if a dealer from a neighboring state is giving you a much better deal, (over the internet or phone) it may be worth driving a 100 miles.

PLUS July 4 is around the corner... so there may be some July 4 sales possible too. But I would not loose the June month end opportunity.

All the best with your RAV4 purchase.
    edited June 2012
    Hi George,

I hope you have registered for the $750 Edmunds rebate... (before the purchase of the vehicle).

Secondly... how much the dealer always makes on a car is always going to be a mystery... but as per my calculations... I do feel that YOUR $ 27,716 is a good price for negotiations. I am guessing that Tax + Title will be extra.

New Jersey is a big city.. try emailing as many dealers as possible to see the Limited V6 Inventory.

JUNE 29/30 is a very good day to get DEALS because it is month END and Dealers are trying to meet their Monthly SALES QUOTA. (profit may not be a motivation for them on that day). (If dealers are open in NJ on Saturday you should strike on Saturday for sure).

Otherwise July 4 is around the corner too for specials but I would try not loose the Month End OPPORTUNITY.

Hope this helps.

Wish you all the best :)
    Hi Patibandla

Just thought of it.... definately try getting your deal from the dealer on JUNE 29 or JUNE 30 if your dealer is open on Saturday.

Month END is the best time to buy car because dealers are trying to meet their SALES QUOTA and may try and sell their car on that day. (Profit may not be a motivation for them on June 29/30)

Wish you all the best :)
    thank you practical for taking a 2nd look. yes, tax, title are not incl.,, it took a lot of googling to find the the rebate, but i'm on it. i'm realizing the importance of making dealers compete against each other and/or which one really needs to meet their end of the month quota. will post what deal i end up with. i keep replaying tv's howie's mantra, "deal or no deal" ..... LOL

thanks for the advice ;)
    Thanks!! I will give a try. BTW I am in NC.
    edited June 2012
    When dealing with the dealers ask for their OTD Price (Out the Door) which includes base + destination + documents + Tax + title.+ etc. etc. etc.

You can ask them for a Break-up for their OTD price too.

You can have your own calculations... which you can COUNTER present to them for bargaining...

Have fun :)

Will wait to hear what deal you end up with :)

All the Best with your RAV4 purchase.
    i thought when i started this internet online pricing with dealerships that when you agreed on a price over the phone that a dealer would email that deal. one of the dealers did in fact do that but, of course, they were the highest offer, so no deal. what i realized is that no one wants to email you a really good deal without getting you into the showroom.

what i'm afraid of is after i get the phone offer, and i drive an hour to the out-of-my area dealership that they will change their tune, add something that wasn't discussed over the phone, make me haggle all over again, or a bait & switch.

will dealers actually write up a contract that i can take home and discuss with my wife and be valid for 48 hours ?

how else can i get a "in writing" quote without the dealer pressuring me into signing now ??
    edited June 2012
    Hi George

I too was in a similar position as you...

I first got email from internet Saleslady who gave me the price... via email... and then I made a phonecall (actually asking for costco discount).

At that time, the MANAGER spoke with me and made me an offer OTD (out the door price) It was april 30, Thursday and he said that he had six cars to sell... to meet his monthly sales quota...I asked him to give this offer to me in writing. The manager said that "if my word is not good .. then nothing is good" (something to that effect).

I wrote down the NAME of the MANAGER and his OTD (out the door) offer on a piece of paper and then we drove to his showroom and took a CHANCE. His internet sales assistant had all the info with him and he wrote out the paperwork while we went for a test drive in the RAV4.

After the testdrive we walked into the showroom... checked out the paperwork, which did look honest, met with the finance lady (rejected the extra warrenty, being offered) and we came home that night with our RAV4.

We have bought cars in the past too ... but this was the first time (internet shopping) that we had a very smooth pleasing experience.

We hope that you too have an equally enjoyable experience buying your RAV4.

PS: Actually it is a good idea to ask the dealer if he will write up a contract which you can go home and discuss with your wife and get back to him within 48 hours (Why did I not think of that)... go ahead and give this a shot too....

George.. to be on the SAFE SIDE... it will also be a good idea to get the VIN number, and color of the car too.. over the phone when you are getting the OTD price from the deale/manager (just thought of it)

In the worst case scenario if you have a bad experience... put the name and address of the dealership on this forum and make other buyers beware of that dealership. I am sure, no dealership would want negative or bad publicity :)

Take Care
    the latest offer for the limited 4WD 6-cyl is 28,149 with the sandy beach color i so desire. that's 450 more than my offer. i told my much closer local dealer and he said we'll see what the manager says. if i hold out to saturday, i might get closer to my offer but lose my color choice. although, i remember the salesman saying that if i sign they, the dealer, can take posession of the vehicle i want in my color choice with a delivery date beyond 7/2/12 the customer cash expiration. i'll keep you posted.

P.S. : BTW, i'm not married....LOL
    edited June 2012
    Hi George,

You can clear with the dealer if the customer cash expiration is related to the delivery date... because in my opinion, it is connected with the paperwork and the date you SIGN the papers.

Better to check with the dealer about it. Talk with the manager too (for double safety) get the VIN number of the vehicle too... since they are not giving anything in writing.

Enjoy the experience. It is not everyday that one buys a new car :)

All the Best.
  • allgaulallgaul Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a Rav 4 immediately if not sooner! How do I apply for the edmunds rebate? I have searched a bit and can't find info?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Concerning the Edmunds rebate, please note that the sponsors of these offers do not allow Edmunds to publish any specific details about how or when they become available.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Got RAV 4 with 3rd row + leather seats today. Including sales tax, state tax, tag and other fees I got it for $24,600.00 with 0.00% APR.
    Hi allqaul,

I did post my message on how to get Edmuns Rebate... but it has been deleted. Please see the message by the HOST.
    CONGRATULATIONS Patibandla,

Your OTD price you paid today of $24,600 with 0.00% APR. for 3rd Row Seats + Leather Seats looks like a great deal... definately MUCH BETTER than your initial Dealer Quote of OTD price of $26,665.00. (A full savings of $3,065.00)

Awesome Job man :)

Congratulations Once Again :)
    Thank you!!

Manufacture warrant covers upto 3 years/36K, Is it worth to by extended warrant from upto 8year/120K miles for $2,000.00?
    edited July 2012
    Hi Patibandla,

I just realised that your savings is $2065 (not $3065 wrongly calculated by me.) still it is a good deal with 0.00 percent financing.

Regarding buying Extended warranty... I will quote you my personal experience:

8 years back.. we bought "Pontic Vibe" CLONE of "Toyota Matrix"...
    First time in our life.. we purchased an extended warranty for six years for $1000... for this Pontic Vibe (Toyota Matrix Clone). Warranties are of different types. I guess that our warrnty covered only "engine, transmission and electrical".

Within 3 yrs. our CD player would skip tracks while playing.. so the warranty replaced it. For all other stuff the dealer would tell me that "your warranty does not cover it".

Our Pontiac Vibe is now EIGHT YEARS OLD.. has close to 90,000 miles.. and still running strong (some of the plastic stuff inside/outside has come off but warranty did not cover it) Last month we made a long distance trip to Chicago and back in our 8 yr old Pontic Vibe and our old Pontic Vibe handled it fine. We did not want to take our new RAV4 to a crowded city like Chicago :)

We learnt a lesson from this experiene and did not purchase the extended warranty for our Toyota RAV4. I guess.. it will be cheaper to fix a CD Player for a much cheaper price (than the purchase price of the warranty)

• soibien22soibien22 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the RAV4 2012, 2WD, base model with Upgrade value package and Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set for 21,719.
    Is that Out the Door price?
  • ff811ff811 Member Posts: 12
    Rav4 with QT trim package plus after factory leather seats and automatic start ... $30,044 and 0% financing for 60 months $399 monthly payment after $6500 trade-in.