Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• banditboybanditboy Member Posts: 54
    Boch toyota north attleboro ma.

Black ,4WD Base with Value package - 24500 MSRP.
    price paid 22,700 and 0% financing from toyota.

they gave a little less for the camry i traded in but it had quiet a few issues and the gremlin check engine light comes on and off even after spend 1k in the last 6 months.

My mother in law is happy, so is the wife....secret to a happy life .
  • practicalbuypracticalbuy Member Posts: 72
    Congratulations on your RAV4 Purchase.

You have a very good deal here :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Um...what do you mean expired July 1? This is from our rebate email:

"Purchase or lease a NEW 2012 Toyota RAV4 from dealer stock before August 5, 2012."

We bought on July 12 and submitted July 24. I assume both of those still qualify. Next week it will be 8 weeks. Status still listed as Pending.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please send an email via our Contact Us form. Be sure to include your name and the email address you used on the submission. This way the incentives team can look into it and get back to you.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Karen - thanks. Got your email last week. Still not showing as paid. It's 8 weeks tomorrow.
  • riko1209riko1209 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new Rav4 '12 Limited with Premium Plus Package 2WD 4Cyl. With OTD price $28700, bought this in Long Beach, CA. It has Auto-dimming backup camera as well (don't really see the use for such a small car).

Some advice: Do get dealers compete on OTD price is the key, don't deal with dealers that can't give you OTD price. If you already on test drive a vehicle on another dealership, DON'T DO IT AGAIN at the next dealership. They will INSIST you to test drive again, look at the car or whatever, because this is their trick and way to make you distracted and forget your MAIN MISSION, which is sit down and buy the car.

I went to 3 dealerships and they always insist me to test drive even I said NO. The don't like to see if you're determined and focus, therefore distraction and misdirection are needed to loosen up your guard. So good luck and be careful out there :)
  • firecomfirecom Member Posts: 1
    Looking to finance a new RAV 4 for about $30,000. Any thoughts on how much the charge for GAP insurance will be??
  • kgurungkgurung Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    What should be a good deal for RAV4 Base Model + value package?
    The vehicle will be registered in New Jersey. For New Jersey the sale tax is 7%.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Came here looking for idea on prices. Sadly, it is close to impossible. There is ZERO reason to include tax and various fees. The only fee other than cost of the car that would make sense is those MANDATORY doc/processing fees that dealers charge which is really the cost of the car. Everybody has different taxes and has nothing to do with your deal.

Also, unless you give the MSRP with options, most comparisons are pretty much a waste as well. Who knows WHAT you are comparing.

Please make this worthwhile by giving the MSRP and what you paid before taxes, trade in, etc.
  • crazonrav4crazonrav4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm eying a rav4 base model (2.5l, FWD) and the MSRP mentioned in the toyota site to be 22k+. However when I look through the dealers web pages most of them have either sport or limited trims. I was wondering what if a customer want a base model and dealer doesn't have it in the lot? also, does anybody has recent prices paid here in upstate NY for the base model? I saw some have paid around 20k (which are really good deals) but no idea of geographic region.
  • research1stresearch1st Member Posts: 23
    Carman,

Please advise the October MF and Residuals on the 4 cylinder Limited models..36 months/36,000 miles...

Current deal is $2599 down/$189 month for base model. Looking to do $0 down on a Limited model. Been getting quotes all the way from $290-$320...anyone have any input on those quotes?

Wife is prego need to save every cent! Thanks!
  • alg63alg63 Member Posts: 1
    Base MSRP 24050 had upgraded value package $1145 and additional installed anodized running board, mats and tinting $1000. Total installed options was $2250 fees, del etc just under $900 Total just over $27k. Used Consumer reports car buying service and guidelines. OTD just under $22K with NC sales tax and fees. My credit is really bad and this dealer went to bat for me. 7.99% which many may think is high but considering very recent and ongoing credit issues i was satisfied with this. Also happy with trade in price. I did add 7/70 full coverage/service under $1000. I plan on keeping this car until it dies or i die whichever comes first so the extra piece of mind is worth it to me
  • airlineairline Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I've been looking for quite some time to replace a 2003 Toyota Highlander. Looked long and high and at many many different makes and models. The current Highlander as new is not the price I wish to pay. I looked very hard at the Toyota Matrix and Scion XB, or as I like to call it, the X Box. The current production Matrix seems smaller in the back (with seats folded down) as compared to the previous Matrix and it's former twin, the Pontiac Vibe. As for the XB, I like the design and roominess in the back with the seats folded down, but just cannot get used to the speedometer, etc. being stuck in the middle. The XB rides great and has a lot of pep with the 2.4 liter engine, as does the Matrix with the same engine, but that stuff all in the middle of the dash just didn't work for me.

I then started looking at other makes, and being a Toyota owner since my first Camry in 1990, the other makes just don't cut it for me. Yes, Kia and Hyundai look really sharp, but after taking test drives, they just don't have that Toyota "feeling". Honda didn't appeal to me, although I looked at 2011 Element, which I thought was overpriced, but had a lot of room, especially when you remove the back seats. I even looked at the gas-stingy non-hybrid Nissan Versa, but that car feels like (and inside really looks like) a cheap car, sort of reminds me of the Yugo from the mid-1980's.

Probably the closest I came to purchase in this process was a Subaru Forester. I liked how the car handled, but the prices were not all that great, and in the ultra-competitive car crazy Los Angeles market, you don't see many ads for Scooby-doos (as I call them), let alone "ad car" prices. I do feel comfortable enough knowing that Toyota owns 20% of Subaru, and Subaru produces Camry's at their plant Indiana for Toyota, and Subaru is building the new Scion sports car at their plant in Japan, but replacement parts for the Forester are much more expensive than Toyota. Maybe that's because local Toyota dealers are more aggressive with their over-the-counter parts pricing with coupons, on-line specials, mailed to the home flyers, Costco discounts, etc. than what local Subaru dealers offer. I really liked the Subaru, but price is the issue, so, I passed on the Scooby-doo.

As my long story continues, one recent evening I was perusing Auto Trader and came across several RAV 4's that to my initial look appeared underpriced, and I just assumed they were salvage title vehicles. As I kept looking through the listings, I soon noticed that these were offerings from Hertz Rent-A-Car, model year 2011, with mileage ranges anywhere from 32k to 50k miles. Some were branded by Hertz as "certified", and others were not. I later determined that "certified" by Hertz are the nicew and not so beat up rentals that are brought to the Hertz used car lots and detailed, dings taken out and made to look "pretty" on the sales lot.

When I first began my car search, I ruled out the RAV 4 because in my mind, it is basically the same size as my current Highlander, and cost a lot more money than I paid for my Highlander in 2003. I didn't even give the RAV 4 another thought. When I saw the listings from Hertz, I started to research the RAV 4 once more, went to my local dealer and sat in a few, opened the hood, rear door, back seat and just generally played and pulled on them for a couple of hours one afternoon. The RAV 4 has a different feel than my current Highlander, but shares many of the same attributes, and has a very spacious front cabin. You don't feel closed in as you do in many of the newer small SUV's. During my test drive at Hertz, the RAV 4 was fairly quiet on the freeway and to me, and plenty of pick-up with the 4 cylinder engine. The plus is that this vehicle comes equipped with 4 wheel drive which will come in handy during the winter when we go up to the mountains.

Long story short (the whole process of purchasing a vehicle through Hertz requires another post), I purchased the following:
    • 2011 RAV 4, 4 Wheel Drive
    2.5 Liter, 4 Cylinder Engine
    • Vehicle has 33k miles
    It's the base model, with the only option being the Value Package which includes P225/65R17 tires and 17" steel wheels, Daytime Running Lights, Privacy Glass and a Roof Rack with cross rails
    • Adding Toyota New Car Warranty through Midwest Toyota, as vehicle has less than 36k miles, and less than 3 years old
    Obtained 2.99% financing through the credit union
    • Price: Original price was $17,450, less $1000.00 October sale discount, less $300.00 for being a Hertz #1 Club Member, less $25.00 for an overcharge on the DOC fee as compared to what was advertised. Sale price: $16,125, plus $80.00 DOC fee (not a mandated fee), plus 7.75% sales tax, plus $27.25 for state mandated title and transfer fees. That's it. No hidden charges or fees (other than the DOC fee)

To me, $16,125 for a 2011 RAV 4 with 33k and 4 Wheel Drive is a great deal as compared to what I see other used RAV 4's advertised for in the Los Angeles market.
  • sdlstevesdlsteve Member Posts: 11
    Purchased it yesterday from a dealer about an hour away. Spent about 2 weeks negotiating with a few dealers (I dropped one immediately after they said it was a "loser of a deal").
  • carshopper85carshopper85 Member Posts: 1
    Is the OTD price including the NC sales tax and fees. What dealership did you go to and who did you deal with? I live in Georgia and have not found that good of a deal yet. Anyone use a dealer in Georgia for a RAV4 recently?

Thanks for sharing your information with the group...very helpful.
  • rajsuvrajsuv Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy Rav4 with Premium plus package and Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity. Can some help me with the recent purchases near EastBay California.

Thanks.
  • vjreddyvjreddy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Any one in Virginia has recently brought new RAV4 Limited 4*4 4 cylinder engine . I just want to know the msrp price , as it is year end .

Thanks
  • vjreddyvjreddy Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rajsuv,

Did you had a chance to by Rav4 Limited and let us know for how much you have brought it.

Thanks
  • quarksterquarkster Member Posts: 13
    Just purchased a 2012 base V6 FWD with QW and CF packages for $23,091 (+ tax & license). Window sticker pricing was $26,325, including the $845 delivery fee. There was then a $540 "Extra Value Package MSRP discount", yielding a final sticker price of $25,785. Did NOT opt for the the $750 rebate, took the 0% financing instead. This was a rather hasty buy, as there are not many of the 2012 V6 FWDs "base" models still in stock, and the 0% financing offer ends Feb 4.
    Can anyone comment on this pricing, or provide comparisons to other recently-purchased 2012 FWD V6 models?
    I usually do literally months of up-front analysis before purchasing a vehicle, and the entire process of researching and buying this RAV4 was completed in 3 days. In retrospect, I hope I was not too hasty ....
  • lnylny Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased 2012 Rav4 AWD V6. Paid $24700 + tax + $132 DMV. MSRP was $27345.
  • kevin0017kevin0017 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Priced a little over ~31K, about 32K w/ NC tax.

Is this a bad deal ? I'm looking at the prices paid for 2012 models and the avg price on truecar and it's about 25K.
  • adam2edenadam2eden Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    with value package, fog light and carpet mats, a dealer give me a OTD price of $24500 after NC tax and DMV.

Is this a good price?
    adam2eden -

What was the price of the vehicle itself? It's hard to compare pricing if you include tax and DMV, which is different in each state.
    edited February 2013
    I only asked for OTD....NC tax is 3%, not sure about DMV, DOC fee here is 499. I asked the agent in an email if he could sell the car for 24000 and he said yes and now I am wondering if there are more room in the price. This seems like an area thing, the sales who gave me this price is 2 hours away and it seems they still have quite some V6 fwd there, while sales here seems to have a hard time to find them and are very reluctant to give me anything below 24500.
    adam2eden -

Edmund's own "TMV" for this vehicle is $23,980 (prior to any rebate), and I know that is higher than what a dealer is really willing to take for these "last-year's unsold inventory" straggelers. I just paid $23,091 for a base V6 FWD, and I think I could have done a better if I hadn't been pressured by the end of Toyota's 0% financing offer. You need to be able to negotiate face-to-face, and know what the dealer actually paid for the vehicle (NOT "invoice"). The dealer will not give you his best price over the phone or via internet, you need to be in his showroom, appear like you're ready to buy, and have all your info in folder so the dealer can see that you're serious and have done your homework. If you are able to negotiate a price that you're willing to pay, don't get suckered into purchasing any of the junk that the dealer will try to add at the end (extra warranties, paint protection packages, window serial number etching, etc.). As we get further into 2013, dealers will be more and more anxious to unload any remaining 2012 inventory.
    Does the price $23091 include the doc fee? Here it is $499.
    adam2eden -

Not sure exactly what you mean by "doc fee", but here's how it was broken down. Beyond the 23,097 vehicle price, there was:
    1. Total state licensing fees: $259
    2. The dealer's "documentation fee": $80
    3. An "electronic vehicle registration or transfer fee": $16.60
    4. Sales tax.

If the $499 "doc fee" you mentioned is only the dealer's fee for filling out the paperwork, then it's totally absurd.
  • stoli3stoli3 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any prices paid/etc? looks like the LE are getting snapped up as noone wants to pay over a grand for a silly sunroof.I'd like to know what deals are out there despite salemen BS about 'it's a new model, no discounts'.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    A lot more difference between the LE and XLE than just a sunroof: alloy wheels, fog lights, heated mirrors, roof rails, dual climate control and better seats. Seems worth it to me.... ;)

Prices? Looked at a new XLE today at a local dealer but they admitted it wouldn't sell for much below sticker. BUT, over in Spring, TX a dealer is selling for over $2500 off MSRP..... :)

Dealer I contacted in SC last week was offering at $250 under invoice which isn't too bad either.....
  • flash35flash35 Member Posts: 2
    Being offered new 2013 LE AWD with Floor/Carpet Mat and roof rails plus dealer installed Leather seats
    $25899 incl 845.00 delivery not incl tax in NJ. Tough to tell the Leather seat in the whole picture.

Any thoughts
    Thx
    Flash35, do you mean leather instead of the sof-tex that it comes with ? Also does it include any optional equipment - nav, audio, blind-spot ?

It sounds like an ok deal. Doesn't seem like the dealer is doing any extra favors with that price though - unless there's some more optional equip. thrown in.
  • forvictoryforvictory Member Posts: 2
    Just leased the RAV4 2013 XLE AWD with Navigation and Carpet floor Mats/net and Mudguard. Total down (including all taxes and transfer plates) $3073. Monthly $265.00 for 39 months/12K

Any thoughts...
  • flash35flash35 Member Posts: 2
    Options includes protection package and roof rails. The leather seats are aftermarket that replace the cloth seats installed by the dealer (wife has bad allergies so avoiding cloth)
  • chuchoachuchoa Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone
    First of all let me say thanks to everyone for your help, I have been roaming around these threads looking for strategies so I could get the bet deals, and I am happy to say I made the purchase last week of a beautiful metallic grey-TERRACOTA awd.
    Originally I was going for a cr-v, was this close to seal a deal, but didn't work out thanks to the honda dealership being arrogant to say the least. But that Is another story. I followed every single tip on this forum and ended up paying invoice price plus ttl. Me and my wife are very happy!
  • mkevinmkevin Member Posts: 2
    hi chuchoa,

in the market for the exact one you just purchased, may I asked how much you paid for yours?
    Hey mkevin, sorry for my late reply, I was busy this few days playing with my new ride. I paid $27415 which is a few dollars over invoice. This plus doc fees taxes tags n reg. I am glad you are reading this parts of the forum, I don't know why not many people are showing much interest in the new rav. But I think as a guideline a couple of hundred dollars over invoice it's about right.
  • mkevinmkevin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, for the quick response, totally understandable with a new car at home. I bought a 12' Camry in may last year spent a few days tinkering with entune and everything, I think its probably not getting love right off the bat because its relatively new redesign model, no incentives currently, and its sorta of pricey compared to so many options in the class right now. I haven't been up close to actually see it at the dealership yet. From what I heard the seats are not powered in the LE or XLE which is kinda bad for nowadays, my older 96 avalon had power seats. =) The limited has all the goodies but its cost the same as my 12' Camry SE and that came with a V6 3.5L engine, came with everything except the kitchen sink. But can't compare Toyota reliability to anything else. thanks for a info. $27,415 is a great price, did it came with the NAVI and greenedge speakers?
    Nope, it's just the basic limited, invoice I believe is 27408. I really couldn't make myself pay 1500 more for an outdated navi (it is my belief that every single gps on every single brand is not as good as a 300 dol top of the line garmin nuvi) and a few extra speakers. Plus all the screens are same wether with or without nav.
    You can't really compare a SUV to a sedan price wise, since the former will always be more expensive. But let me tell you this, on every Trim level the rav4 beats the crv feature wise. I did my research and was really close to buying the crv, even check on hand, until my sister told me to try the rav4. It's worth every penny!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    edited March 2013
    Care to elaborate on how the RAV-R beats the CR-V "feature wise"? I've looked at both and don't see that at all.... :confuse: .esp since CR-V is the best selling CUV/small SUV.... Both are good vehicles though....like how Honda doesn't "nickel&dime" you on options...the trim either has it or it doesn't. Toyota, OTOH..... :mad:

I passed on the 2013 RAV-4 because the local dealers were selling at/just under sticker - told them to let the "uniformed buyers" pay that price.... ;)
    edited March 2013
    I was this close to buying the RAV4 but I'm looking at other cars now.

The features (and color) I chose weren't available and none of the dealers in the north/southeast could tell me when it would be available. I made a deposit and waited a month and still no RAV4, so I took back my deposit and am looking for a different vehicle. Not to mention Toyota's website is inferior to just about every other manufacturer - when you know what you want and just need to find out where or when it would be available.

I don't know what logic Toyota uses to get cars to the dealership but something isn't right when you have to purchase, then wait at least 2 months for a car from a "top manufacturer", and it's supposedly coming from somewhere in the US.

If the car you like is on the lot - great. If not, good luck. The dealers can't even tell you when it'll be there.
  • lnylny Member Posts: 7
    Both The Rav4 and the CR-V are glorified station wagons. The difference is that the CR-V has perfected it while Toyota is still trying to figure it out. Just from a resale value (using ALG), the CR-V is way better.
    i dont know where are you going with this godeacs, but even on the top trims (limited vs exl) you have push start button, power tailgate, signal side mirrors, u want me to keep going? just because you don't like toyota there is no reason to badmouth them , after all this is a toyota forum.
  • scottw5scottw5 Member Posts: 2
    Godacs, who is the dealer is Spring, TX?
  • miaunamiauna Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm just entering the car market for RAV4 2013. Any help with how can I find the invoice (base) price will be much appreciated!
  • samdocsamdoc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we are looking to buy a new '13 AWD Limited Rav4, with HD Radio and blind spot monitoring in NJ. Any help and guidance on prices paid etc. would be hugely helpful! Thanks in advance.
  • carcass93carcass93 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013
    2013 RAV4 XLE, no options except mats, for $23,414 before tax and tags at Ardmore Toyota, PA. That makes it $280 under invoice, which is an OK price, based on my research, and communication with several dealers over email.

The deal was made in the last two days of the month, as often recommended here and elsewhere.

Waiting for the pickup - they had to bring it in from another dealership in the color combination (white/tan) my wife wanted. According to the dealer, XLE is made mostly in AWD - they only had 1 XLE FWD in stock, blue/black (the latter being a no-go for us).
  • bmohandasbmohandas Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I bought a 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD and i paid 25550 (includes destination). I bought this from DCH Freehold Toyota in Freehold, NJ. this price is @ invoice..
  • sam_usasam_usa Member Posts: 1
    Just got our 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD, black exterior, beige interior, 3 options (carpet mats, roof rail cross bars, side moldings). MSRP $27198 (that is $26535 + $663 for options). Negotiated price was $25,110. Also paid $399 dreaded Doc Fee. Plus tax, title, tag in the state of Virginia. Everything out the door was $26,375. Had been in the market for RAV4 for three weeks. Also, put $2k on credit card.
  • pwarner10pwarner10 Member Posts: 4
    Trying to get this from local and other dealers with the following:
    2013 RAV4 Limited AWD - blizzard pearl white with tan leather interior.
    car mats (can't belive Toyota makes you pay extra for these), navigation, mud guards,
    How do I find the actual invoice price?

Thanks.
  • rav4pearlwhiterav4pearlwhite Member Posts: 6
    How did you get such a great deal?