Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota holdback is 2% of the base MSRP (except in the SET region, y'all).

Holdback

Steve, Host
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    I found Rav4, FWD auto, 16x7 all. wheels, 50 st. emmissions, kelyess entry, mudguards, roof rack center rails, side curtain airbags, "L" package. the internet price is $19,213 plus taxes, tags and $100 processing fee. I was hoping to get below $19, but there don't seem to be too many Ravs on the lots around here and people aren't willing to deal too much. Plus, when you do find one you want, it doesn't seem to have the curtain airbags. I also don't care what color as long as it isn't black. Does this sound like a good deal? This seems like the best deal I've seen in the month or so I've been looking, but we aren't in any rush, so if there is a better deal out there in the next few months, I can wait.
  • erknottserknotts Member Posts: 5
    I tried to buy a Rav-4 at Tempe Toyota, in Tempe AZ today. They had advertised "5" 04s AWD with a MSRP of $25144, and were selling them for $20,579. This was in The AZ Repubic-10/16/04. I looked at all 5 and picked out the one I wanted. They then refused to sell it to me at that price. They then said, "We don't have any of those left." I showed them the five they had, but they refused to sell them at that price, but tried to jack them up $2,000. I left. They apparently are not concerned about their reputation. I had contacted them through Edmunds.com for a price.
    Most states have consumer protection agencies - maybe you should put contacting them on your list for Monday morning?

Steve, Host
  • erknottserknotts Member Posts: 5
    That is my plan as our AG has a consumer fraud division, and in my business if I don't honor any ad, I can be fined $25K/ incident. Unfortunally here in AZ. the car dealers have so much political clout that they aren't worried by the State AG or the B.B.B.
    The dealer lobby is strong most places - otherwise you could buy cars at Wal-Mart with the rest of the commodity items.

"I've got one (painfully obvious) tip for all you automotive executives out there: It doesn't matter how well you design and build a car if the people representing your company are first-rate imbeciles. With so many great vehicles on the market, the alternatives are vast and wide for today's automotive buyer. Don't give them a reason to go somewhere else."

Carmudgeon

Steve, Host
  • jnoodlesjnoodles Member Posts: 1
    HI - JUST FOUND THIS SITE... WE HAVE AN INFINITY 2002 WITH 14,000MI ON IT AND WANT TO GET A SMALL SUV = IE.. RAV4 2005 OR LOOKED AT THE HYUNDAI TUCSON 2005 YESTERDAY AND LIKED IT... BUT ALL THAT WE HAVE READ ABOUT HYUNDAI IS BAD AND WE DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THE WRONG CAR AT THIS TIME IN OUR LIVES.... CAN ANYONE GUIDE US IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    A lot has to do with the dealer. We bought a 01 elantra as it had "America's best warranty". We found out what that ment as it seemed we were always at the dealer. Not just getting something fixed but getting something else fixed that they goofed up doing the original fix. I can honestly say we never got the car back fixed right the 1st time, they even screwed up the oil changes. I don't know if they were that bad or if they just wanted to keep work in the shop. My wife liked the car but she did not trust the dealer so we sold the Elantra and bought 04 RAV4, 2 months later bought another one. All the people at the Toyota dealer just go out of their way to make sure you are happy and you get what you want the 1st time. I'm sure not all dealers are the same but if you plan on haveing your car serviced at the dealer you buy it from do some research.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    You may also want to check out the Hyundai Tucson board--it is listed under the Future Vehicles Discussions. There are happy Hyundai owners--if I buy a Tucson, it will be my third Hyundai. Since I first heard about the Tucson in November of '03, I've monitored the Rav4 and CRV boards, as well as several others in order to get as much info as possible before I make a decision.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Try Smart Shopper board. You can also find it to the left, browse by board. Goodluck. Once you have some prices paid and buying experiences remember to come back here to share and compare.
  • lizzie1lizzie1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAD A VERY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE TODAY AT BRONX TOYOTA. I AM ALSO SHOPPING FOR A RAV 4. I WENT TO THE DEALER LAST WEEK AND SAW THE RAV 4 THAT I WANT. IT IS THE 2004 AND IS THE BASE MODEL. BEFORE I MADE AN OFFER I RESEARCHED ON EDMUNDS.COM AND FOUND THAT THE INVOICE PRICE FOR THE 2005 MODEL IS 18,151.00. WHEN I WENT BACK TO THE DEALER HE WANTED TO SELL ME THE 2004 RAV4 FOR 19500 WHICH HE CLAIMED WAS INVOICE PRICE. I TOLD HIM THAT THIS WAS TOO MUCH AND SHOWED HIM THE RESEARCH THAT I HAD DONE. I QUESTIONED THE FACT THAT THE RESEARCH THAT I DID WAS ON THE 2005 AND THE INVOICE WAS CHEAPER ON THAT THAN ON THE DEAL HE WAS GIVING ME ON THE 2004. IT TURNED OUT THAT HE GOT SO FUSTRATED THAT HE BASICALLY TOLD ME TO GO FIND ANOTHER DEALER AND I LEFT. I TOLD HIM THAT I DID NOT WANT TO PAY MORE THAN 300.00 A MTH WITH NO MONEY DOWN. HE SAID THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE AND THAT I HAD TO LOOK AT ANOTHER CAR. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO FOR THE NEXT TIME.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    The dealer should show you the invoice to back up his claim. If he will not show you you should walk.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    $300 a month is not impossible, but you must realize that this could stretch your payments to 6 or 7 years. Unless you plan to keep the vehicle til it's nearly paid off, that could put you in a bad situation.

I just used Edmunds.com's Loan Calculator, and input the invoice price of $18,151. I put $0 for the tax, and for 60 months, came up with $349/month. Even at a 0% financing rate, it's $307/month. At that price, there's no way to go below $300/month without extending financing out to at least 72 months.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

PS - if you turn off your CAPS LOCK when typing, your messages will be easier for us to read.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    This forum makes me happy I don't sell cars for a living. $300 a month doesn't buy much anymore, perhaps a lease would help
  • bcrowleybcrowley Member Posts: 1
    I'm way too new at this. How do you buy on the internet? How long does that take? What else do I need to know to buy this way?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    You might be interested in our Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying discussion as well.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• abiesabies Member Posts: 4
    Actually, I tried to buy a CR-V. but it has engine fire problem.

I've got a lot of help from the CR-V forum, so I post this info for the future buyer.

2005 RAV4 AWD auto.

Options:FE,GY(Side airbags),CD,KE,SR(Sunroof)

,PG,AW(alloy wheels),RF,MA,SP(Sport Package),DK

Mileage: 9

MSRP: 25,215

invoice: 23,077

paid: 22,177+100+tag+tax

No incentive from the factory.

The dealer offered 4.3% APR with Gap, but I rejected it because they used a tricky loan calculator program. The monthly payment he showed was different from the amount I precalculated. When he used the back button, he showed what I expected. Why did he push the enter key one more? I could't believe them, so I brought the credit union check(3.9% APR) the next day.

I think July or August deal was better than this deal because there was $750 factory rebate at that time.

It was an internet deal and good experience.
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    just bought a 05 rav4 awd with basic options
    roof rack
    privacy glass
    keyless entry
    mudguard
    floor/cargo carpet
    cargo net
    exhaust tip by valor

msrp $22840
    took the $500 march rebate and dealer 4.9% apr for 36 months
    paid $19,500 + TTL

you think that is still too high?
  • toyotaravertoyotaraver Member Posts: 1
    hi. Id like to know which dealer in central MA would be a good place for the 05 Rav4. and how much would be a good price for the basic package?
    thanks
  • dignan999dignan999 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2005 RAV4 L AWD Auto with moonroof and standard L options from a Denver dealership, MSRP $25471, Price given to me from the internet/fleet manager was $100 over invoice, which put it at $23415 plus TTL. Several hundreds less than Edmunds TMV.
  • jbrowerjbrower Member Posts: 1
    Hi Abies-

Your Dec04 purchase is *exactly* the car I need, and your deal was great.

Probably you already know, but finding side airbags on RAV4 is such a problem.

Did you start with Internet site, if so which one? Which dealer did you end up with? I will fly there and drive it back :-)

Thanks for your advice.

-Jeff
  • asdumbasjessasdumbasjess Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a car for the first time without my parents holding my hand. I have been drooling over the RAV4 for over a year now. I test drove a RAV and a CRV.... Being that I am 24 and in my last two years of college, I am looking at leasing an SUV for 2-3 years until I get a real job and intend of buying the truck off. Can anyone give me any advice or opinions on the RAV and any other comparable SUV's?
    Thanks!
    Mylissa
  • jarmasterjarmaster Member Posts: 1
    I don't know what things are like for the rest of y'all, but "everything's bigger in Texas" sure applies to their inflated invoice prices.

For example, on edmunds, run a RAV4 with rear privacy windows and side curtain airbags, and the invoice price is $19,733.

Ask a Texas Toyota dealer, and they say it's $20,402 (at least).

Dealing over the phone, I asked him to itemize the invoice, and he gave me fees like:

port option, 287
    tx dealer association fees - $230
    manufacturer association fund, $281
    2% hold back, $392
    port and installation option holdback - $26
    finance reserve - $196

Same in person, they said invoice was $20,610.

TMV shows $20,488 average in my zip code (76706).

I haven't seen anything like this anywhere. Honda showed me their invoice, and it was exactly as Edmund's said.

Thoughts...experiences?

Thanks,
    Chris P. Jones
    christopherpatrick@mac.com
    Mylissa, good choice on RAV 4 my daughter got one last year, has had no problems at all and loves it. My advice is to try and buy it rather than leasing it because in 3 years you will owe more tahn if you financed it. Toyota and the Rav4 will easily last 7-8 years and youll get your money out of it. See if you can find a used 04 model (its the same as 05) and youll save some dough. Also pay attention to the finance rates used vs new and get several quotes from dealers in your area. I dont know where you live, but you dont necessarily need all wheel drive. I drive an 03 Highlander in PA with Front wheeel drive and have had very little difficulty in the winter months... Good luck with your decision this forum will help you a great deal..
  • heyunclejheyunclej Member Posts: 2
    hey there. i'm looking for a 2005 awd Rav4, with L package, mud flaps, roof rack, automatic, not sure what color yet. I live in Louisville, KY but have some strong ties down in Orlando FL. A couple of days ago, I got a quote from 'a friend' that works at a dealership in Orlando FL. Her pricing was as follows...MSRP $23,980...will sell to me for $22,000---which is $108 over their invoice of $21,891, then minus the $500 rebate.....out the door pricing, tax tags etc.....$22,400. I'm new to this, so i need help. I would like to pay at invoice or under if possible...i want to pay no more than $21,000 out the door. Am i just dreaming, or is this possible for me to achieve. I was looking at the Hyundai Tucson's, but i've seen a lot of negative feedback on them, and now i definitely want to go with the Toyota Rav4---I just need to find that deal.

thanks!
    Hi, Jeff

I sent emails to about 15 Toyota dealerships in DC metro area(Maryland, DC, and Virginia), but, I realized that other dealers could not beat the Darcars.

Sometimes, there was a special deal at the end of the month.
    When I contacted 355 and Silver Spring Toyota by email, I received 200 coupon at the end of the month.

http://toyotass.darcars.com/New-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=1569243
    (I don't like this color, it's too hot in summer. but the same options.)
    Search their inventory, and good luck!
  • g8rluvag8rluva Member Posts: 6
    Two questions . . . whoch dealership in Orlando are you referring to?

More complicated question. Since you appear to be a resident of Kentucky . . . how do you buy a car in Florida and get Kentucky tags on it and pay Kentucky taxes, etc. I live in Florida and I would like to buy a car in California since I will be visiting there for about 12 weeks and then would drive back to Florida. How do I make this hapopen in a way that I get Florida tags on the car and avoid paying fees, taxes, etc in two states?
    Buy the car in CA, it will come with a 30 day tag, when you get to FL go to AAA or anotory and pay sales tax and plate fee on car. You shoiuld not have to pay CA sales tax. I buy my cars in OHIO and im from PA... Hope this helps but call dealer in CA so your on the same page. :)
  • mkosovermkosover Member Posts: 9
    Abies,
    thank you SOOOOO much, you saved me 1700. This past weekend we drove from Connecticut to Mariland to Darcars dealership in Silver Spring to get a 4wd Rav4 with option package D as configured on Toyota Web site (which is basically: L package, side airbags, keyless entry, allow wheels, Roof rack, mud flaps, and some other stuff).
    Darcars web price was 20,907 (invoice 22407, msrp 24385). So just like that for 1500 under invoice!!! Local dealers were making fun of me, they said this price was impossible. The closest price locally was 22608.
    I half expected some kind of bait and switch or someother screwup that would have cost me the deal. But the entire experience was PERFECT. They gave me the VIN # over the phone, no deposit, just come down and buy the car. I even called TOYOTA to verify that the VIN of the car had all the package options they advertised, they confirmed that fact. Car was already prepped by the time we arrive (per agreement), so I signed all the necessary papers and that was it. To top it off they are open on sunday, none of the CT dealers are usually open. We did not pay tax or registration, just Doc fee (100) and Temporary Registration ($15) which is good for 60 days.
    The only downside to the deal was the long drive.
    This forum RULEZ
    ;)
  • whtwndrwhtwndr Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to buy a RAV 4 and live in Florida. Every website says Toyota's holdback is 2% but may differ in the south. Does anyone know what the actual holdback is in Florida?
    400 under invoice + 900 in rebates + tax, tag and doc stamps. Not to shabby.
  • wkf2000wkf2000 Member Posts: 2
    how do you guys get rebate? I cannot find it on this website.
    Is it from Toyota? or dealers?
  • mkosovermkosover Member Posts: 9
    in my recent purchase, the rebate was not a mail-in type rebate. Its basically customer cash-back, which means that they subtracted this amount from the purchase price. FYI, in few states including MD, you would pay tax on the amount before rebate.
    Go to Edmunds main page, search for your car, and click 'incentives'. When I bought mine the RAV-4 had 500 customer cash and an extra 400 for college grads (The college grad cash is now gone)">link title. Rebates come from the manufacturer, the lender (as with Southeast Toyota), or (rarely) the dealer. Know who is providing the rebate, but don't discuss ANY rebates until you've agreed on a price. Dealers love to quote you a great price based solely on a rebate you qualify for. It doesn't effect the dealer's bottom line if you qualify for a lender's rebate so they don't have a right to take it from you or take credit for it in their price. Remember their profit is realized BEFORE the rebates get subtracted.
  • jcannuckjcannuck Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a RAV4 2005 4WD, 5-spd manual trans, "L" pkg, alloy wheels, roof rack, curtain & side air bags, rear spoiler, mudguards, floor mats - MSRP = $23,800, final price including all fees, registration, etc etc (everything except tax) = $21,000. Took the 3rd sales person to even talk to us for this price. I think we did OK. Invoice on Edmunds was $21,450 before the $300ish in registration fees etc. We also got the $500 rebate (included in the above final price)
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Edmunds shows a $750 rebate in effect 6/11-7/5.
  • mland13mland13 Member Posts: 2
    I get confused in deciding when there is a good deal or not. Also, if you don't think this is a good deal, can you give me some hints as to what I can tell the dealer to convince them to drop the value?... Thanks.
    I am looking to buy a
    2005 RAV4 2WD 4-speed in titanium metallic w/ dark charcoal leather interior
    the options are as follows:
    GYAT - curtain & side airbags - $680 msrp
    LAAT - leather trimmed seats - $670 msrp
    UPAT - upgrade L package - $1030 msrp
    AWAT - 16" 5-spoke alloy wheels - $400 msrp
    According to their website, the MSRP value is $23,185 broken as follows:
    base ....................................... $19,800
    options..................................... $2,790
    delivery, process and handling.... $595
    I was quoted a "low internet price" of $21351 plus tax and tag with the rebate included. The out-the-door price w/ tax and everything is $22,901.
    Can anyone assist in analyzing this? THANKS!!!!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    First, rebates and availablilty differ by location so I can't give you much help there, but...

What is the rebate in your area? Can't tell what actual selling price you're getting unless we know. Seems as though it's a pretty good deal from what I can see though.

Ken
  • mland13mland13 Member Posts: 2
    The rebate is $500. I am in Florida. Thanks.
    Just as a reference, in the DC area, where the rebate is $750 a good deal for a RAV4 is about $3K under MSRP.
  • berry1berry1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a "program" vehicle from a Toyota dealership. They made a couple of claims that I'll share later. But here are my two questions.

1) Does EVERY factory installed Toyota keyless entry have the Toyota logo on it?

2) Everyone go check their tires. What BRAND of tires comes on a RAV4?

Answers to these two questions will help me trememdously. Thanks.
  • darius11darius11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

On the advice of this forum, we checked out DarCars in Silver Spring and noticed an attractive Internet price. We called the dealer and asked if they honored KBB prices on trade in's, and the salesperson said they would, and to come down to make a deal. So, on the spur of the moment, we were off on a 4 hour (each way) trip.

When we arrived, however, they brought up the KBB value right in front of us and said they couldn't offer us that much, and offered us HALF of the value. HALF! They wouldn't even come close to honoring the price on KBB for a downgraded condition. I think they were trying to take advantage of the fact that we drove 4 hours and didn't think we would want to drive home in our old car.

Again, this was after we were TOTALLY led to believe that the KBB value would be honored. The excuse was that the mileage was too high (84,000) on the car for them to sell - a FACT THAT WE TOLD THE SALESPERSON OVER THE PHONE BEFORE MAKING THE TRIP!

We were very disappointed and I figured it was worth noting on this forum (since I found out about them here) that if you are planning on making a trade, don't count on getting anywhere close to what they tell you over the phone, and be prepared to drive home in your old car!

:lemon:

Thanks...
    My friend sold his car to Camax, and bought a car from Darcars. Trade-in is another deal. I will never make two deals at once. You should have visited carmax before going to the silver spring darcars. Carmax gives a written offer, which is good for 7 days or 300 miles. I think Carmax is located in 10 miles from silver spring toyota. I don't like the Silver Spring Toyota because a dealer lied to me about a car, but I think almost dealers tell lies. Even if I bought a car from 355 toyota in Rockville, I didn't believe them.

One tip for a better deal:
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
    The 2005 RAV4 pricing will increase by $300 for both the two-wheel and four-wheel-drive versions. The base RAV4 will start at $19,615
  • chris_altecchris_altec Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone recently purchased a 2005 Rav4 2wd? If so, what was your price before TT&L. What was your drive out price?

I am looking for a 2005 Rav4 automatic, 2wd,...and it seems that dealers in the Dallas, Texas area are asking for prices much higher than what Edmunds indicate.

The lowest qoute I got was $20,000 before TT&L (basic Rav4 with keyless entry & no other options).

Thanks
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Carsdirect.com....see what price they will get for you!!
  • tamyra2tamyra2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm located in southern California and recently purchased a RAV4 2wd automatic in everglade metallic. Optional equipment include roof rack with center rails and carpet floor mats/cargo mat.

MSRP: 20,771
    Invoice according to the dealership: 19,410
    Price I got it for: $19614, however when I went to the finance dept. I got the antitheft device (includes keyless entry) for $495 which I regret because I checked the price of this option on carsdirect.com and it was only $264.
    Total price out the door not including TT&L: $20,109

The dealership was first offering me supposedly their Costco price which was $19,911 and I said that price was too high. After some heated discussion, price went down to $19,614. I still don't feel satisfied with the price I paid, I feel I could have gotten a better deal. This was my first time purchasing a car so I take this as an experience to learn from.

Is this a good or bad deal? Please comment and share your opinions. Thanks.
  • boatsboats Member Posts: 19
    You got the CarsDirect price - its probably OK... other areas of the country have rebates - we aren't getting any here in So. Cal. Have you noticed there aren't any on sale in the paper? I think stock is probably running low (just a guess). You did GREAT for your first purchase! Don't feel discouraged!
  • tamyra2tamyra2 Member Posts: 4
    I don't see any ads for a RAV4 in the newspaper. They're very rare in So.Cal. There was a rebate for recent college grads, but I think the requirement is that you have to finance through Toyota. Anybody have more info on this? Is the college grad rebate from the manufacturer or dealer?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    College grad program is through Toyota Financial Services. You have to finance a portion of the purchase through TFS. You have to have graduated within the last 24 months or will be graduating within the next 6 months. You must have proof of current income or proof of imminent income (acceptance/hire letter from employer). You can not have any negative credit history. There can be no exceptions for ANY of these requirements. If you don't necessarily want to finance with TFS, that's fine, set the loan up through them and when you get your first statement, just pay the loan balance off then.

Hope this clarifies things.

Ken