Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• majortom6xmajortom6x Member Posts: 2
    What is a fair price in the Western Massachusetts area?
    Opts 17 in styled steel wheels
    roof rack & crossbar
    carpet floor mats 4pc set
    mudguards
    daytime run lights
    curtain & side airbags
    My research says $22161 is a target price before TTT. Is this reasonable?
    Also dealers msrp on options sticker list is higher than Edmonds or carsdirect. Which is right?
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    I ordered and received a V6, limited 4X4 and paid $500 over invoice and was told by numerous people that it was a very good deal due to the demand for V6, limited 4X4's with factory leather.

It won't get any lower.

I would go for it.
  • jthughesjthughes Member Posts: 5
    Breddy2000 - Which dealer in MI - I am in MI also and it sounds like a good deal?
  • breddy2000breddy2000 Member Posts: 3
    Dealer is Rinke Toyota in Warren. Its actually south of I696 and on Vandyke ave.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    Well, just a follow up...King Toyota in Pompano, Florida not only waited to pay off my vehicle...so I had to make a payment but also paid the lower amount from what was agreed to in the contract!!!! How can they do this? I am amazed at these tactics. I thought this kind of dealing went out with the "cigar smoking" used car dealer. They did however, after several phone calls, finally refund my extended warranty and maint. agreement. Here is what happened...1. Hidden dealer's fee. 2. Failed to return calls to cancel "extra's. 3. Gave figures $1000.00 more than Edmunds on cost of vehicle. 4. Waited to pay off vehicle so I had to make payments and than did not pay what was agreed to. I am simply shocked.
  • boltman2boltman2 Member Posts: 9
    I'm in NorCAl and found a black 4x4 V6 Limited with sunroof, leather, tow pkg, side air bags. Dealer wants $29K+taxes. I've been searching for months for a V6 4x4 with tow pkg. They won't budge on price. Is this good or not.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well if it is loaded with leather, sunroof, tow pkg, 4wd, v6 sidebags and jbl , a good price would be $27500 about. So you have to decide if you want it at $29k Look at www.fitzmall.com for prices and Edmonds for invoice price for what you want.

Limited V6 with leather is very hard to find. I have seen two in NY at dealers since Jan 06.
  • boltman2boltman2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the input. Here in California (northern), at least for me, I have not been able to locate the AWD V6 Limited, leather, tow pkg (w/hitch)in black or Blizzard Pearl. No luck in Central Cali or Bay Area. If I do stumble upon one, it's spoken for. Tried Southern Cali. It's a rare model. I've read of other CA members going to Nevada and Arizona. I offered $28K and they don't want to budge. So, I guess I either play the waiting game or pay up. Thanks again.
  • selimselim Member Posts: 6
    I bought a Limited 4x4 4cyl with all the features you listed for 23190 before TTT in early May. I bought it at Wellesley area though. So give it a thought, for a K more you can get the Limited. Good Luck
  • mpc8240mpc8240 Member Posts: 19
    Hi everyone. I'm in Bay Area. Looking to buy a Rav4 Limited V6 with leather seats. But for the exterior colors I like they don't have leather seats! :cry: The dealer says they can convert fabric seats to leather ones at actually less cost. :confuse:
    Has anyone ever done this before? Is it advisable to go this way or better wait longer for an original piece to come in?
    I insist on leather seats because the fabric back seats IMHO are horribly low quality while leather ones are much better supportive. :P
    Well I am in NY and have seen several RAV4s with aftermarket leather. It is much nicer that Toyota actualy. My dealer quoted me $1300 to do it on Sport. Very very few leather RAV4s around here.

this is a leather site where most dealers buy kits
    http://ayarinc.com/english/index.htm
  • risarisa Member Posts: 14
    Am glad you got your money back. I did cancel my extended warranty the next day after I pick up the vehicle, I did sign a cancellation form. The dealer told me wait after 4 weeks and I should get my money back. I waited 5 weeks then called the bank if the money is there from the extended waranty cancellation but it was not there yet. So, I called the company asking if my warranty was cancelled yet and I found out that the dealer never cancel my extended warranty. I called the dealer last friday and told the finance guy about it. He told me he cancelled it and also told me that maybe the home office make mistake and did not send the cancelation. He told me to call him today, so I called this morning then he said they already send the money to the bank where I financed the car but when I called the bank, the money is not there yet. What should I do? This guy is giving me run around I am getting tired. :cry:
    Call the Toyota Customer Care Number...this is rediculous..it took about 5 weeks but mine finally posted. However they still have not sent money for difference in tag and they paid off a lower amount than we agreed to....I am surprised at King toyota in Pompano Florida..but I guess they are not the only ones. I will give them until Thursday and than I go directly to Toyota...this is completely wrong.

Jimmy Drew
    Thanks, jimd4.
    Really good to know that. One dealer quotes me $400 for one row of seats. Guess I will settle for that. :)
    Remember that afermarket leather does not make the seat better in terms of construction. Just appearance and feel.
    Actually I not tell much difference between the cloth Sport seat and the Limited leather in the one leather I was able to find. The dealer told me both cloth and leather seats are same constructin. But they do not always kmow what they are talking about.
  • mattie06mattie06 Member Posts: 2
    Does this sound like a good deal? (I live in Raleigh NC)
    Base 4 cyl, 2WD
    Roof Rails; side air bags; 6CD changer; running lights; cargo cover
    21,510 plus tax,license and a $399 doc fee.

Does anyone know if that doc fee can be negotiated?
    Thanks!
  • promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Doc fee is 100% dealer profit and certainly can be negotiated. I never pay over $100.
    Just got my tag refund from King Toyota in Deerfield...hard to believe...been since Memorial Day.. Now I am still waiting for the difference in payoff...they said $13500.00 and actually paid $13384.00. Bet if it was $13600.00 they would have been after me for the $100.00. Unbelieveable...I have called Toyota customer care...but have not heard back...BTW, the RAV4 V6 is terrific....too bad the dealership has to be so hard to get along with. Could not believe how they acted like the stereo typical cigar smoking used car dealer...

Jimmy Drew

Jimmy Drew
  • ajg33ajg33 Member Posts: 13
    Does anybody know when Toyota will be doing their summer clearance sale and is it worth waiting for it? I see Ford and others offering deals right now.
  • kenjiekenjie Member Posts: 2
    i have this same model, i got it 2 weeks ago except for the jbl mine has the standard 6 disk CD changer. I got it 27300.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    mattie,
    what do you think so far? i'm currently shopping for the same thing, and the price looks fantastic! (for the amount of trucklet you get). it seems most dealers around here start at around 24k, as all of the ravs seem to have more options and packages than the base. to be fair, most of the big dealers only have a few in stock, so why not make more profit, I guess. we commute 45 miles each way, so the 4cyl seems like the best way to squeeze out the best mileage. Plus, we don't tow much. I'm interested in your driving impressions now that you have it home!

Thanks
    Since they seem to sell every thing they make pretty quickly, I doublt that there will a RAV4 clearance sale!.

Most dealers seem to have tons of Highlanders and bigger trucks but maybe 10-20 RAV4s on the lot. I am sure that once the 2007 RAV$ production break happens in late July I guess, they will sell what they have left without a clearance as the 2007s are shipped over from Japan.
  • charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    This is close to the model and options I have - purchased it in Feb 2006. The stereo is the upgraded one, correct? I used a buying service and my price was $25,900 - including freight and doc processing but not TTR. Mine did not have mud guards initially but I added them afterward at the dealership for about $100 installed.
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    MSRP $25,400. The only options included were the curtain side airbags and roof rack. Elmore Toyota in Orange County, Southern California. This was one and only "no haggle" offer. I took it because the salesperson told me that it was their best offer, period, and dared me to find anyone else that would come close. He was right. Other dealers were quoting me around $24,300 for identically equipped models, and didn't have a problem telling me to take my business elsewhere if I could find a better deal.

I had preferred Sport trim, but I was lucky to even find a base trim with V6 4WD. The V6/4WD combo is rare in SoCal, and the dealers know it. I've called the four largest dealerships in the LA/OC area, and the inventory of V6/4WD is very limited - the largest dealers have no more than 3 at any given moment and the smaller dealers will be lucky to just have 1 v6-4wd model.

Internet offers from local dealers have mostly been on target with Edmunds' FMV projections.
  • risarisa Member Posts: 14
    That's when i picked up my rav4 memorial day, I told the finance guy to re-do the paperwork but he said he already sent it to the bank and made me signed the cancelation form for the warrranty. I called the bank today where I financed the vehicle and checked if there's credit transaction made from the warranty but so far, not yet. I talked to the customer relation manager from the dealer he said the check was sent on June 28th to the bank. So, I am giving them till Friday. Can you give me the Toyota customer care phone number. I am going to call them and
    tell them about this dealer. Besides the waranty problem, I am happy with my RAV4 it drive smooth. So far I haven't encounter problems yet knock on wood and have 1009 miles on it.
    Thanks,
    risa
    It is interesting to see that Fitzmall in Md. has RAV4 V6 Sport for $100 under invoice. This is about the lowest I have seen anywhere in the East so far.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I have a V6 Ltd. / leather & heat it was pretty hard to get back in April. I waited 8 weeks for Fitzmall to locate it. I have seen aftermarket leather that was pretty impressive... as nice or better than the factory effort. I've also seen one that wasn't so nice. I'd ask the dealer to show me an example of a car they've had done and if the dealer will stand behind any problems.
    I was told by my local dealer that aftermarket leather arranged by dealer has same 36 warranty as car.
    Here's the number of Toyota Customer Care...1-800-331-4331. I finally got my tag rebate but still haven't received the difference between what they paid off my card for and what they said on the contract they paid. Again, if it were more they would want their money pronto. Very sad. King Toyota in Deerfield, Fla is a large dealer too!!! I am calling Toyota tomorrow for follow up...this is completely wrong. Yes, I love my V6 Rav4 Sport...it is so much fun to drive.

Jimmy Drew
  • jcb121jcb121 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a Rav4 4cyl.,4WD today and was very impressed. In reading some forums, and discussing it with some friends, they suggested that a 4 cyl. may be under-powered and i should look at a 6 cyl. I plan to go back to the dealer tomorrow to test drive one. The dealer only has one 6 cyl. on his lot and it is not configured with the options I want. I want the Ltd, with moonroof. He gave me a quote on a V6 4X4 with the side airbags, moonrrof, running lights, towing prep (which I DON'T want or need) and something called Z1 (which I can't figure out what that is??)

This dealer claims to offer 'best price... no haggling'.. in other words, no further negotiation. Since I was not ready to sign up today, I didn't question that. From what I read, the V6 Ltd are scarce as hen's teeth?

I have two questions: Do folks generally feel the 4 cyl. has enough power, or should I hold out for a V6... and...
    What about this 'our best offer' price? Is that usually for real?? I do not have a trade in and will not be using financing from Toyota, so it will be a cash deal. ( I asked if I could put it on my Mastercard ... dreams of Freq. Flier miles :)

Thanks much for any responses.

JCB
  • psychtobepsychtobe Member Posts: 12
    Test drove the above vehicle on July 1, but they were flying off the lots. None available locally, and turnover was less than 24 hours on most. Many presold before hitting the lots.

Did most of my negotiating by internet/email, some by phone, very little in person. The model I wanted was as described above with side/curtain airbags, roof rack, Premier accessory package (cargo net, tonneau cover, first aid kit), 17" alloy wheels. MSRP $24,253. Color options limited - either take what was available or it was gone later that day. Was offered $23,177 by an internet manager, and this by far topped any other offer I got. However, he was unable to get the vehicle in the end; it was sold before he could trade for it.

Nevertheless, I was able to convince another internet manager at another dealer that I did have the above offer in hand, and in the end was able to get my vehicle for $23,339+$50 doc fee+TTR. This is about $1100 over invoice. I think a better negotiator may have gotten another couple hundred bucks off, but considering how hot these cars are, I was happy enough. Also I drove the car off less than 24 hours after my initial contact with the second internet manager, and did all my negotiating by email/phone.

Note: several internet managers claimed they would absolutely not budge on MSRP, saying the vehicles were selling too well. Then they asked me to come on in to the store, "We'll work something out, You will drive away in that vehicle" etc. Only when I told them I had another offer in hand and was going to pull the trigger did they start to play ball. So the whole "We're not negotiating" is probably a crock unless you are looking for a very specialized option package.

Use the internet and phone - don't be at a disadvantage going into the dealer's office.

PS - I bought in Portland, Oregon and searched dealers from Seattle to Klamath Falls - pretty wide net. Contacted at least 20 dealers. Worth the hassle.
    The 4cyl will fit most people's needs, UNTIL you drive the V6. The power is addicting, and I admit unnecessary unless you do alot of hills that requires passing power, but nevertheless, the appeal is undeniable. I do alot of freeway driving during low peak hours, and WOW, I just love it.

It all comes down to whether all that acceleration and power is "worth it" to you. I got the base V6+4WD+curtain airbags+roofrack for $25,999 out the door tax+title included, because I felt that the power was worth trading away a moonroof and all other options.

Power corrupts.... mmmmmmm....
  • bella39841bella39841 Member Posts: 1
    I've been in negotiations all this week for a 4 x 2 Base 2006 Rav4. This one has a third row seat, side air bags, etc. etc. It is a 4-cyl. The first price quote was for $22,000 even. I started asking for quotes at other dealerships but they all offered just the upgraded stereo and not the third row seat. But I managed to get some pretty good quotes, the lowest being $20,999 for what I mentioned above less the 3rd row seat. So now, I've gotten a quote from the original guy for $20,987 and he'll add the upgraded stereo and third row seat. I'm asking for $20,500 and am awaiting his answer as we speak. It's in the metallic silver color. Beautiful car! This is in Southern California by the way.
  • mattie06mattie06 Member Posts: 2
    Drewmeinster -- I didn't buy the RAV yet. I'm still trying to get the best price. I'll let you know when I get it home.
    Thanks
  • jcb121jcb121 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your reply. I know myself and my driving style... I would be happier with the V6!

One more question: What kind of gas mileage are you (or anyone who has one) getting with the V6, in real life?

Thanks again!
    JCB
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    May I ask what dealer(s)in PDX

Thanks Matt
  • depperdepper Member Posts: 1
    I am in Denver. Have looked at fitzmall.com as suggested in this forum. Does anyone know of similar price dealer out west? Thanks for your replies.
    So far, with only my first fuel up, I estimate around 22mpg in the city, driving rambunctiously, but not racing light to light. By my 3rd fuel up, I should have a better Idea.

Since that last fuel up, I've gone 160 miles and just hit the halfway marker.
  • psychtobepsychtobe Member Posts: 12
    I bought at Gladstone. Test drove at Gresham. Tonkin gave me the best internet quote. Really, I thought everyone I dealt with was pretty reasonable - no one super pushy.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Thanks..... :)
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    My RAV4 V-6 got 25.7 MPG on all highway coming back hone from Branson, Missouri.

Got about 21 MPG in combo city/highway.
    Hi everyone. I'm in Bay Area. Just pulled the trigger for a nautical blue Rav4 Limited V6 4x2. The dealer's peddling extended warranty of 7 years 75000 mils for $1495. This's a bit too high to me. Anybody got a good deal on extended warranty? Or is it necessary at all?
    Besides, the maintenance coverage is quoted $995, which covers all per-5k miles oil change and tire rotation up to 55K miles (11 times), plus 15K, 30K & 55K major services at any dealership. Is this a good deal?
    Thanks for any reply!
  • zshenzshen Member Posts: 3
    I am in nothern california. just got an offer of RAV4 base 4cyl 2wd with curtain airbags for 23,000 (out of door). Is this a good deal?
    Do you have a breakdown of the total cost? So you can see how much over invoice with this offer, which is the criterion IMO.
    it is about $450 over the invoice.
    $450 is a good deal, at least to me. Mine was $400.
    I am also in bay area. I got the maintenance up to 55k for $770. I don't know if it is a good deal. But at least $995 is too high.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    well, I found a dealer (via advise from a RAV only site), for a 7/100, platinum plus, zero deductible toyota brand warranty for $800. The 7/75 was $600. Service not included...
    The $770 is for 4year/55K miles premium prepaid maintenance right? I talked to my dealer again. They seem not to budge one dime from $995 at all. But nice to know that the free maintenance is available until the end of 5th year, if you don't reach 55K miles by the end of 4th year.
    Can you tell me where you get it? If you want you can email to mpc8240(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks!
  • dealktfdealktf Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Indianapolis area and was just quoted a price of $25,384 on a V6 Sport (2WD) with a moonroof, curtain and side airbags, floor / cargo mat set, tow prep package, tonneau cover, and daytime running lights. This is a little over $300 under the Edmunds TMV, but still about $1100 over invoice. I was wondering how much over invoice anyone else in the midwest may be paying for similarly equipped vehicles. I'm thinking that I can make a dent in that $1100. Cheers.