Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Diesel Pacifica?

danonudanonu Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Wouldn't be wonderful if Chrysler brought a Diesel Chrysler Pacifica to the US? An AWD Diesel would just be icing on the cake.

The diesel engine to be available on the Jeep Liberty comes to mind …

Is it only me or diesel would be the perfect match for an AWD multi-passenger safe auto, after all, reliability and economy/range would be a great addition to a safe platform and a good investment reason. Don’t understand why every maker goes after big diesels for big SUV/trucks, not everybody wants to do towing, around 150HP would be just great, plenty of torque a safe cruising experience … people buy HP but they drive torques anyhow …

It would also most probably find and develop a great market niche, there is no AWD diesel 6+ passenger size wagon/SUV//cross in the US, the closest being only the small VW Jetta wagon FWD with 5-.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    This narrow discussion is likely to get lost in the 1000's we've got running in Town Hall. You should try posting your comment in the active Chrysler Pacifica discussion, where it's more likely to generate conversation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Common-rail turbo diesels have caught fire in Europe, and having driven a Golf Turbodiesel, I can attest to the massive torque and off-the-line acceleration this kind of engine offers. For low speed-limit America, modern diesels make perfect sense. I hope we start to see a lot more diesels in the States...even in BMWs and the like.

One of the problems with diesels is the amount of supposedly carcenogenic particulates they emit, which is a major reason why environmentalists are fighting diesels in states such as California. Also, the general public remembers diesels mostly for clatter, low HP, smoke and poor cold starts, so the reintroduction of diesels to the States will require some good PR and re-education.

I think a diesel Pacifica is a great idea. We'll probably see this sort of thing gradually, as the States tend to lag Europe in certain technologies (wireless communications and engine technology come to mind).
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    They barely sell the Pacifica on gas ... figure what would be to sell it diesel !

And starting it at -20 deg Celsius (approximately -20 to -30 deg Farenheit I guess) in Canada should be a "nice" experience.

Carcenogenic stuff doesn't help ...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    if they just put the Hemi V8 into this car.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Or at least the 4.7L V8...
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You must be referring to gasoline. It is listed as a carcinogen. Or maybe MTBE, it is a carcinogen.

-20C? Hmmm... Don't know about that, however, I know that -50 F is no problem for a TDI VW ungaraged. No starting problems whatsoever.
  • sanfrandansanfrandan Member Posts: 20
    Ten years ago, when I had a diesel Mazda pickup (THAT was a rare beast) there were two kinds of diesel fuel sold: #1 or Premium Diesel, and #2 diesel. The #1 had an additive to prevent gelatinization of the fuel in low temperatures. I learned this after travelling to Utah in winter and scoffing at "Premium" diesel, which at the time I knew nothing about. One morning, after I locked the keys in my hotel room, as I was leaving, I tried to start the truck, and was stuck. I thought something was wrong with my truck, and when AAA finally came, the driver explained that #1/#2 business to me.

If anyone knows different, pass it along.

Regarding applications in modern cars - I'd drive a diesel again if:
    1) it wasn't much louder than a gas engine;
    2) the gas stations had pumps that didn't have diesel oil spreading all over. For some reason, the diesel pump very often seemed to have a thin film of the oil all over
    3) emissions controls could keep the soot under control.

-SanFranDan
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Two out of three are already available.
    There is virtually no soot at all.
    The high pressure injection using common rail or unit injectors are vewy, vewy quiet compared to older diesel, and comparable to many gasoline engines. For example the TDI in VW is quieter than 2.0 gas VW at speed and a bit louder at idle. My Mazda Protege has more engine noise than my TDI Golf.
    Unfortunately there is a tendency for the diesel pumps to be messy. Not sure why.
  • nine51nine51 Member Posts: 77
    <<Unfortunately there is a tendency for the diesel pumps to be messy. Not sure why.>>

Probably because most vehicles fueled at these pumps are trucks and contractor vehicles. Not as careful on fillup as most car drivers. Also, diesel doesn't evaporate as quickly as gasoline. The gasoline evaporates off soon after a spill but the diesel stays around a while.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    yeah diesel mess looks like crap, except there are no flies on it.
This discussion has been closed.