Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Even $50,000 Corvette comes with four speed auto!

Isn't the Corvette really a 2 speed auto? Doesn't it go from 1st straight to 4th?

With all that power and torque, I guess that's a good way to save gas.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I suspect 5sp autos will become more and more common. They can wring better performance with closer gearing and better mileage with taller gearing in 5th.

I remember when 3sp autos and sticks were the standard. Now we have a few 6sp sticks and CVTs. It's fun to watch.
  • junglejimjunglejim Member Posts: 18
    "VWs assembled south of the border are unreliable because they're VWs, not because they're made in Mexico. Volkswagons made in Germany and Brazil are similarly problematic. "

Comments like this are just funny. You could sit me blindfolded in a VW made in Germany, one made in Mexico, and one made in the US (back before VW closed their PA plant due to quality problems). I could tell you which one was made a Germany.

I have an 87 VW with 210,000 miles still going strong. Show me a GM product with the same that wasn't put in the junkyard 10 years ago.

Having said that, I sure hope GM is able to pull it off by making reliable vehicles that last at least ten years. I think that they are totally capable, but it will take some effort on their part.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    I hope the HHR lasts 10 years without eating major expensive parts. That's the minimum length of time I wanna keep it. :D
  • bt42005bt42005 Member Posts: 1
    "If I do end up buying an HHR, I'd have to get the load mat, but it would be nice if there was something soft-touch on the seatbacks as well."

HHR comes standard with a carpeted cargo mat as I understand. Plastic surface when you need it, carpet when you need it. Front Passenger seat back is only plastic seat back you would see as a 2nd row passenger
    , right?
  • hymeballshymeballs Member Posts: 1
    saw 2 today on 1-75 in Oakland Co, MI while stuck in usual summer construction, I really like the grill on it! they were driving back to back a grey one and a burgundy/maroon one...
    Sweet! They're probably late pre-production models getting the bugs worked out, right?
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Just the same, I like the Chrysler set-up better - standard carpeting on the floor and seatbacks with an available pull-out plastic mud mat rather than vice versa.

On a different note, does anyone have pics of an HHR without the extra-cost chrome package? From the Chevy site, it appears that chrome is standard on the top-level model but "satin" finish comes standard on the base and midlevels (chrome being optional on the latter). The chrome looks nice, but would probably pick up police lidar from 3 miles away.
    I'm sure everyone already noticed, but the HHR is now listed under "New Cars" on Edmunds' main site, rather than "Future Vehicles". The base prices listed are for LS and 1LT -- most of the options don't have values next to them either.

I hope the September release is still on track, because my current car just decided to start dying again. :P
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well indeed we do! I'll move this discussion to our Wagons board in a day or so.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    My neighbor had a black LT in the driveway last night. Hope he has it again this weekend. I would like to take a closer look at it.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I thought the HHRs were coming in summer--is September really the release date? :(
    I just remember hearing a number of months ago that HHR was going into production this summer, and would be on lots around September. Maybe they moved up the schedule, or maybe I heard wrong. Though considering my interest in the vehicle, I doubt the latter to be true. ;)
    From a GM press release 7/27/2004:
    The HHR, a crossover vehicle with expressive design and surprising functionality, will add to Chevy's growing family of SUVs when it goes into production in summer 2005 as a 2006 model.

Hah, d'oh! 5/6/2005
    HHR production begins in the second quarter in Ramos , Mexico . Vehicles will be in dealerships by late summer.

Okay, so maybe they did move it up a little. Hey I'm happy, I'm about to need a new car!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    GM execs are now starting to drive them. Living in metro Detroit, cars are on the roads months before they go on sale.

Tons of H3s and quite a few 9-7xs around lately.
  • johnr1johnr1 Member Posts: 9
    I don't think the plastic cargo area is a cost thing, I think it is a function thing. I like the plastic in my Matrix because of what I haul there (bikes). I think it would be great if you were hauling dogs too. I was in a CR-V that had been used to haul wet Labs. Wow, did that smell.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't think the Ford Focus wagon sucks. I leased one for a couple years. That is more car-like and has carpet. Chevy is also selling a nice looking Korean wagon (Chevy Optra IIRC, in Canada).
  • johnr1johnr1 Member Posts: 9
    Also I think the mazda5 will have carpet.
    If it's back again this weekend, any chance of you sneaking over there and snapping a couple digital photos to share with the rest of us?
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    im tryin to figure out if the hhr is based on something if it is what
    Well, officially, GM says that it is styled after the SSR roadster and the 1949 Suburban. Unofficially, it looks somewhat similar to the Dodge Durango -- and very much, some say almost exactly, like the Chrysler PT Cruiser.
    The models medina noted may have been the main influences on the HHR exterior design, but if you're actually asking about the platform, it's based on the new Chevy Cobalt. The reviews for the Cobalt have been very positive, so I have high hopes for this tall wagon version.
  • king1854king1854 Member Posts: 2
    I saw a car hauler full of brand new HHR's in Lindale, Texas right off I-20 two weeks ago. I got a chance to give them a good look over, but they had transit stickers, instead of actual prices on them...
  • king1854king1854 Member Posts: 2
    I am presently driving a 1992 Suburban that has 208,000 miles with the original motor, and it still runs strong...

I find the problems with most cars and trucks originates between the steering wheel and the driver's seat...
  • btbambtbam Member Posts: 2
    After the claims that this is a 100% blatant PT ripoff, I went off and compared side by side (by pictures of course) a blue PT and the blue HHR shown on here. Looking at these both side by side shows that they really dont look much alike AT ALL. Sure it has flared fenders and a retro bumper but besides that I think the closest thing that the HHR looks like is basically just a minature suburban like it was based after. Also, in the looks department I really think there is no contest and that the HHR wins HANDS DOWN. Of course this is my strict opinion, and as we've seen with the Honda Element, Scion xB, and original PT Cruiser, people will always hate something that is different and new until they get used to it.
    I would have gotten to that eventually if it hadn't been bedtime. :P
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    As of the 28th.
    30 cars were built this week.
    263 have ben built so far.
    My guess is that all of this production will go to executives for evaluattion.
    I think the argument people are making is that GM ripped off the concept, not the styling of the PT Cruiser. Let's see, they are similarly sized (the HHR is 5 inches longer), both based on small car platforms (Neon vs. Cobalt), use 4 cyl. engines and are manufactured in Mexico to keep the costs of production down. I agree with you, they don't look the same, but I have my doubts GM would've approved this idea if the PT wouldn't have proven so successful at launch.

As far as looks, from the pics I like the HHR better on the outside, the PT on the inside (gotta like them body color dash panels).
    Next up for Chevrolet are the new HHR, which is scheduled for introduction in the late summer/early fall of 2005 and the new Impala and Monte Carlo, scheduled to arrive in dealers' showrooms later this year.

So it most likely is September.
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    the standard hhr is priced at around 15 not 22
    I am paying attention, but I'll want ABS on mine, and it looks like I'll need the 1LT plus a PEG to get it, so price+options+tax+warranty+finance charge will likely push my HHR close to 22k. Oh look, a run-on sentence...

I look forward to the test drive, and the ability to part with a down payment that guarantees never being upside-down on the loan. :blush:
  • btbambtbam Member Posts: 2
    Why dont you just get the 2LT? It starts at around 19k and it comes with ABS and traction control standard. Plus you get the 17 inch rims, pimp [non-permissible content removed] sound system and the sport suspension? Even with all the tax, etc. it should come to around 20k. I preordered a loaded 2LT with leather and the side curtain airbags and the dealer said it would be around 20k before taxes and such. Minus the leather and other options I got and you would have your price. Lucky for me they let me use my GMS discount since my granddad worked for GM and that knocks almost 10% off the price.
    Because there's probably still an almost-$1,000 price difference, I don't want 17-inch rims, and I haven't heard the standard sound system yet so I see no need for the upgraded one. I will compare the 1LT to the 2LT thoroughly when the car is available.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    The truth is not the latter. If you take a look at a pic of a 1949 Suburban you'll see that the HHR definitely does resemble the Suburban with the exception of the rear taile lights.
  • intruder242intruder242 Member Posts: 2
    The LS is $15,990
    The LT is $16,990
    The LT2 package is $1,800

The LS has no options presently. The only option (presently) for the LT is the LT2 package which includes the ABS, 17" wheels, the Pioneer radio system, and other goodies.

I saw a few of them yesterday at the GM Tech Center with some new Impalas. They seem clean and well built. All were loaded. The Ecotech engine is a fine engine although this version should have a few more horses.

It is definitely retro to the 49 Suburban. It seems a fair amount larger than a PT Cruiser.
    The colors of the four or five I saw were brilliant.

I did see them with Michigan plates, not manufacturer,which I found interesting.

If the pricing stays put and they add some options to at least the LS, this vehicle looks like a winner.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Very competitive MSRPS!!!!!!!!!

General Motors of Canada has announced pricing for the all-new 2006 Chevrolet HHR crossover vehicle: $18,995 for the base LS and $21,195 for the up-level LT.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050616-3.htm
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Shouldn't be too much larger than a PT. It's built on the Cobalt platform.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think the HHR could be larger than the PT - at least lengthwise - since the PT is shortened, even shorter than the Neon. Let's hope so, my old PT Cruiser didn't have much depth to its trunk.

I like the pricing; I want to see about ABS and side airbags. I would hope anything above the LS would have it standard, and nowadays it would be nice to see ABS across the board. After all, Cavaliers used to all have it, and anything above the base Cobalt comes with ABS.

Anyone find a site with weights and measures? I'd like to see how the weight stacks up to the PT. I assume comparable, hopefully not heavier (the PT is pretty heavy, even if it is platform related to the Neon).
  • ptcruiserptcruiser Member Posts: 1
    I just recently test drove a Chevy HHR and here are my thoughts...

My current PT is (original 2000) way underpowered.

My wife hates the headrests.

From the inside, the PT does have better visibility than the HHR.

The PT does have more headroom under the liftgate when it is opened and you are loading cargo. The HHR should have its hinges redesigned to allow more opening position head room.

The new HHR is a fresher design to a stale PT Cruiser, much like the original Saturns were after 4 years of the same vehicle. The PT convertible is not attractive when the top is up, sorry. :confuse:

The HHR comes with a passenger seat arm rest :-)!!!!

The HHR is built off of the Cobalt and Ion frame and not a Neon frame. This should be much more durable over the lifetime of the vehicle.

The HHR is about 4 inches shorter than the Cobalt but its cargo area is way superior to the PT Cruiser.!!!!!! :)

The ride and comfort of the HHR is more superior.

The transition between gears is smooth.

The steering wheel is kind of different feeling in your hands, more rectangle than tubular. Weird but not uncomfortable.

The premium sound system, including the same Cobalt Pioneer sub-woofer is a must have coming right out of the manufacturing plant :-)!

Top trim level pricing is under $19,000.

This is no Scion or Element. It's a GM - :)!

GM has plenty of big, gas guzzling, high priced SUV's. The HHR offers entry level pricing, comfort, style, and decent performance. The PT was no speed demon but it still sold well. If you guys all notice gas prices and gas guzzling vehicles are not too popular right now. GM needs this mix of vehicle

BTW, if the Aztec was ugly, which it was, and had too much cladding, which it did, how can anyone in their right minds think that the Element is attractive? The entire boxy exterior of the Element is grey plastic with a smidgeon of paint. Personally, I couldn't buy an import, which this website is mostly promoting, especially plastic boxes on wheels. Of course, these are my opinions, I could be wrong.
  • mami2camjaxmami2camjax Member Posts: 1
    I'm really interested in this Chevy HHR and can't wait to see more of them and read more about it. I'm a single Mom of 2 and want something a little roomier than my Corolla, don't want a mini-van or huge SUV, so when I saw this, it's caught my eye.

Those who have seen it up close or taken it for a ride - is there a lot of cargo area? Can i comfortably seat 3 across the backseat?

Carissa
    GREAT post, especially insightful coming from a PT Cruiser owner. I had the 2004, and believe me, with an automatic it too was a slug.

Did you drive the 2.2 or 2.4? I am thinking you may have driven the 2.4 in an LT2 and not the base model. Based on the premier sound system.

Glad to hear the luggage compartment is larger, that is a big concern of mine.
  • handlebarshandlebars Member Posts: 1
    You test drove the HHR...........where does one go to do this? Detroit? And thanks for the PT comparison.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    My thoughts exactly.
    Excellent review, but I have a few questions:

Which model did you drive? What engine did it have? Was it a stick or auto?

And lastly, how in the heck did you get a chance to drive one?
  • slovanslovan Member Posts: 10
    check out the first preview of HHR vs PT on autosite.com
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I have the sister car of the Corolla, the Prizm. My company is moving to a new location, and my commute has now become more dangerous. The HHR is just what I need to feel more safe on the road. I wanted the PT Cruiser the first time I saw it in 2000, but bought the Prizm instead. Now that the HHR exists, I WANT IT !!! It should be a fun commuter car as well as have enough room to throw my three kids in. GM may have a home run on it's hands. I hope so, they need it. :)
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    GM has cut the forecasted sales of the HHR to 60k per year. Do they think it'll sell well?
  • kkrausekkrause Member Posts: 8
    I live in Saltillo, Mexico, very close to where the HHR is assembled. Therefore, there are a large number of them on the roads here, mostly driven by the engineers and other GM/supplier employees who are here for the vehicle launch.

To me, the HHR is a frustrating vehicle. Although I feel people should buy what they want to buy (Japanese, US, etc.), I have always pulled for GM and Ford to turn things around ...

I think the HHR would have a much better chance at helping GM if it were better looking. It's not nearly as ugly as the Aztek, but it's not really much of a looker. I think it's so-so looks will hurt its sales, though not to the extent that the Aztek's looks hurt its sales.

I spent a bit of time checking out the interior, though, and I was quite impressed, especially considering the price-point of the vehicle. The chrome accents are a nice touch, and the plastic is mostly "soft touch." The vehicle is fairly roomy ... I'm 6'4" and fit in the driver's seat no problem. In fact, a 2nd guy who was 6'2" was able to sit behind me.

I had the lucky opportunity to eat dinner with a fairly high-ranking GM exec here in Saltillo and it is very obvious that GM is excited about this vehicle. They feel that this has been one of their best vehicle launches ever (in terms of fewest problems with initial vehicles, etc.) and think the HHR is going to really appeal to young people and therefore sell well.

I hope it does for GM's sake, but the pessimist in me doesn't think it will ... it's not good looking enough. It has a lot of great features, especially in the details (chrome trim, cool gas lid, etc.), but if people think it's ugly they'll never get close enough to appreciate all of that ...
    As far as the looks, I disagree. Perhaps in person it looks less appealing, but I was on a site with a number of HHR pics and I've gotta say I love it. Even the colors were appealing. Who would've thought an orange (Sunburst Orange more specifically) car could look so good?

And if the interior looks better than the exterior, whoa baby. This might be at the top of my shopping list.
    I had a PT Cruiser, base model, and was disappointed by its handling. Not to mention the acceleration and gas mileage.

However, I loved the efficient packaging, and it was very quiet for an "economy car."

For 2006 the PT Cruiser press release says there is additional sound proofing and they expect a 3 decible reduction in sound levels. That would make it a great commuter vehicle and small family vacation vehicle.

GM, if you are listening, PLEASE match the sound levels on the new PT Cruiser, and BEAT the handling. PT Cruiser has the "older set" with its cushy ride, but it is truly too much of a "cruiser." How about something a little sportier - like matching the GT in handling?

I'd much rather buy a GM, there are a lot more service outlets (my one big gripe about Chrysler). The PT Cruiser is truly your target, so do better! Don't just match it!
  • aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    my feelings exactly. It is priced very well - unlike the Aztek but the looks of the HHR are polarizing. Some on here love it, others will be turned off. Just like the Honda Element and Ridgeline - both visual pooches in my boook. The pricing is going to save this vehicle from the SSR's fate. It also offers good versatility for the $. Nice legs...shame about the face....