Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    edited October 2010
    I have had the dealer look/listen to the issue a couple of times. They said there was a TSB on the issue and they did the suggested repair. No difference. At my next service I mentioned it again and also pointed out the the headliner was loose near the front opening of the sunroof. There are two velcro fasteners to hold that area up. They came loose. I could get them to refasten, but it would separate within a day. At this point, the dealer said to make an appointment so they could secure a loaner for me. Long story---they ordered a new headliner and did a full replacement. No more noise. Great job, and nice experience. Hope you enjoy your HHR. I've been pleasantly surprised and pleased with ours.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• dustermandusterman Member Posts: 3
    I do not have a sun roof but have the noise. From what I can tell there is a wiring harness that runs in that area. I took out the middle dome light and put two several sections of pipe insulation between the roof and headliner. Still have a small noise but much less than before. Based on what you say I am going to check with dealer on a more complete repair. I like the vehicle very much! I appreciate the info. Thank you.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    My 2010 HHR 2LT did the same thing, a noise coming from my sunroof lining every times I drove on rough roads and even over a small bump.
    Went to my dealer and they told me that they will probably have to take off my sunroof and re-install it to see if this could do the trick. I wasn't to interested will that procedure and I was leaving for my summer vacation in a couple of days.
    Went on with my trip (6,000 miles) and to my surprise it stopped doing it all by itself.
    Now I'm trying to duplicate that sound by driving on rough roads and bumps that I can find and nothing.
    I guess the reason for this is that the materiel was new and had to be worned a bit or take it's place.
    Last weekend it was pretty cold and when I drove over a small lumps (not a hole) at normal city speed I could hear a weird grinding noise coming from my shocks/springs (front and back) while driving over them and after that every lumps I drove over it did the same sound.
    Coming back it was a bit warmer, took the same road, everything was normal.
    It seems that every time the temperature is cold, I can hear that grinding sound coming from the suspension and as it gets warmer the sound goes away.
    It's not a steady sound, it makes it only when I drive over lumps.
    My HHR is a 2010 2LT (sport suspension).
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    laserblue,
    Have you taken your vehicle into your dealer? If not, I would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice. Please keep me updated on your progress,
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • joef8joef8 Member Posts: 4
    I came to this forum because I recently spotted an HHR on the road with the "Bel Air" logo on the raised side of the hood. The logo was in the old style script font. Otherwise I didn't register anything unusual about the vehicle. Did someone just stick a "Bel Air" logo on their hood for yuks? I had the impression if it was a real prototype that it should have had wood paneling -- this didn't.
    For those living in the frigid parts of the U.S. and Canada…does your rear defogger turns on automaticly when you strat your HHR with your remote start?
    Mine does and stays on until I put my key in the ignition and turn it to the “on” position.
    Just wanted to know if this was normal.
  • gary_tgary_t Member Posts: 5
    I HAD A 2006 HHR 2LT and it did the same thing. Had to get the rear deforgger fixed 2 times. After they fixed it the first time ( warrenty ) it came back and it didnt come on with the starter. 1 month later, now out of warrenty it stopped working. Took it back to the dealership, they said it was another issue (burnt wires), and that I would have to pay for it... But when I got it back, low and behold it came on when using the car starter... Now I don't own a chevy anymore.
    Sorry to tell you this but my friend has a 2009 HHR and he told me that it's normal for the rear deffoger put put itself on automatically when using your remote starter on a cold day.
    He showed me the paragraph in his owners manual and found it in mine also. So they worked on yours twice and then told you about a burnt wire issue and all the time it was normal.
  • dustermandusterman Member Posts: 3
    I do not have a remote start and have not experienced the problem.
    Dusterman...this happens only when using the remote starter. If I start my HHR normally nothing of this happens.
    When starting it with the remote starter and then turning the key in the ignition it's shuts off as soon as the key is turned.
    If you don't have a remote start...it's normal that your HHR doesn't do it.. it activated by the remote starter.
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    My steering column rattles when I hit bumps and the rear left strut rattles as well as various other rattles in My 2010 HHr with 6000 miles. Took it to two different dealers and this is what happened:

First Dealer looked at it in October 2010 twice and said they would have to tear the car apart and keep it a week or more to fix it and they said there was no guarantee on fixing it.

The second dealer looked at it in early November 2010 and said nothing was wrong.

What should I do? I love my HHR but it sounds like I got 106000 miles on the car instead of 6000 miles.

I need help!!!!

Any advice would do!!!

Thanks!!!
    My HHR rattles and something feels loose in the left rear wheel well especially when I go down the driveway and down the parking ramp with groved cement you can really hear it and it is annoying. I brought I to the dealer and they say its fine that they can't duplicate it and I should just live with it and turn up the radio and I won't hear it!!!

Can somebody help me or offer advice!!!

Thanks!!!
    I have a rattle on my 2010 HHR LS with Auto that sounds like somebody left a screwdriver or wrench behind the speedometer inside the dash or behind the dash behind the steering column. Dealer says theres nothing they can do, its part of the car, live with it.

Any advice!!!

Why is it I take a Malibu for a drive and it sounds perfect and then I drive my 2010 HHR which is only 5 months old and it sounds like a Mexican rattle trap?

Please help!!!

I want to believe in this car!!!
  • kaipuffcatkaipuffcat Member Posts: 4
    Wow, I sincerely feel for you gentlemen that are having these problems with your HHR! I have a 2007 and have not had any of these problems. I cannot imagine what it could be, but it never hurts to get a second opinion, perhaps from a paint and body shop. That does not sound normal, and it should be something that can be remedied. The only complaint I could possibly have about mine is the gas mileage. One tank of gas gets me 340 miles, is that normal? Good luck with your troubles.
    You didn't mentioned if your fuel economy was city or highway.
    Mine is a 2010 2LT with the 2.4L and on a tank of gas I get...city 396 miles and highway 488 miles in summer, in winter it's a bit less.
    About that rattling sound, mine has one to but I figure it comes from the suspension (shocks) they make a squeaking noise when the weather is cold but usually no rattles nowhere.
    I love my HHR in every way and wouldn't change it for nothing else.
  • kaipuffcatkaipuffcat Member Posts: 4
    In town I get 21 miles per gallon and on highway I get about 27.
    Well...that gives you around 338 miles city and 434 miles highway.
    Mine gives me 25 city and 30 highway but I'm a very conservative driver, I'm very light on the gas pedal and my stop and go's are very gradual.
    vagabondchef ,
    I apologize for your experience. If you are unhappy with your dealers’ diagnosis I would recommend getting a second opinion. Please keep me posted.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I'm going in for my first oil change at Boucher Chev, (the place where I bought the car) tommorow morning 12/31/10 and I will tell them the problem and get the diagnosis and let you know the result.
  • justdooitjustdooit Member Posts: 2
    I don't think we're all imagining this. Company car is a 2010..36K now, but rattle is worse. Same as other posts...steering column, driver's dash?? Any updates from GM?? Not much time to hassle with dealership unless it's universally known.
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    My 2006 has a rattle just when it is cold in the mornings. It sounds like a suspension issue not in the steering. I think it is a shock in the strut or a loose bushing. I have looked for a loose fitting but cannot find any, it goes away after driving for awhile. Mysterious.
    I have replaced the blower motor due to a water leak from the outside cowling seam ( I sealed that with metalic tape ) , and new aftermarket rotors and pads.
    I followed the brake ' run in ' proceedure and the shimmy has not reoccured ( this is important to do ). The dealership replaced the shifter lockout switch under warrantee. Those are the only problems I have had. I see all these others with ignition and electrical problems but I have not had any of those yet. 65K mi. on this car and I get 32 mpg on the highway ( a few hills mostly flat lands tho ).
  • justdooitjustdooit Member Posts: 2
    I wrote Chevy about the rattle issue. I have it, and it's all over the net that others do as well. Spoke with someone who didn't sound native to GM land. He denied that they were hearing of any issues. My complaint same as many others here and elsewhere on net. Dash, steering rattle...worse upon braking or rough ground. Yet, "nope, not here, thank you very much"..

Sad to see an Icon lapse into mediocrity...........
    edited March 2011
    rstruthers,
    Have you had a dealer look into the noise? Who did you speak with? Did they set up a case for you?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yes Christina I have heard from GM Customer service. They have said I should take the car in for evaluation at my own cost. I have to drive 50 miles to the dealer, rent a car, drive home. Return the next day (maybe) then pay for the evaluation and most likely the repair. Cost ??? GM rep. says she cannot know if it will be covered by GM. This was a very frustrating phone call and just served to convince me that GM is just hot air. :lemon:

GM knows they have a problem. I have fixed all of the leaks, bad fan motor, blower speed resistors and brakes at my own cost, time and labor.
    It looks like I'll be on the hook for this also.

This will be the last GM vehicle I will buy. I also will assure you there will be no good will in my family circle for GM. We are moving to other brands. :mad:

I'm through with this and no longer want to hear from GM. Bye.
    My 2010 2LT has "blind spot mirrors" or spotter mirrors". They are convex mirrors factory installed.
    While washing my HHR today, I noticed that my "convex mirrors" are starting to be eroded all around, I thought they where just dirty but no, it's a kind of erosion. When you touch it it's rough like rust on metal but that erosion is all around the mirror.
    Do you think I could get them replaced on warranty?
    Those convex mirrors seems to be glued in the superior corner of the original mirror.
    The truck is only 1 year old and it's starting to show pretty bad, what will they look like next year?
    laserblue,

I would encourage you to contact your local GM dealership. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I own a 2010 HHR 2LT and I want to bring my cooler that you can plug in a 12 V outlet.
    In my other vehicle it was working fine and when I plugged it in My HHR it didn't work.
    I tried it in my friends car to see if the problem wouldn't be the cooler but it works fine in my friends car.
    Is there a special outlet somewhere in the HHR to plug some electrical accesories like my cooler?
    I went to my GM dealer today for the oil change and they did a little maintenance check at the same time.
    On my maintenance report sheet that they gave me I noticed that they had written "tires inflated at 30 p.s.i.".
    This was done my a GM mechanic and as long as I know of those original tires aren't suppose to be at 35 p.s.i.?
    At 30 p.s.i. it seems to be pretty low, don't you think? And it was done at a GM dealer by a GM "certified" mechanic.
    Should I bring them back at 35 p.s.i.?
    What are your tires usually inflated at?
    With the 2LT it has the 215/50/17 tires which require 35psi. The label inside your driver's door will specify this. I have gotten to the point of politely reminding the service advisor that I have the 17 inch tires that require 35 psi. Most HHRs have 16 inch tires, and they require 30 psi. Easy to confuse..

At 41000 miles I replaced the Firestone GTAs. They still had decent tread left, and no complaints overall. My initial intent was to replace with Michelin Primacy. I did a fair amount of research and ended up with Sumitomo HTR all season. They had good reviews and I was able to get them installed for $500 total. The original Firestone tires must have low rolling resistance even though they aren't marketed that way. My gas mileage promptly decreased 1-2 mpg. The tests that I reviewed concerning the Sumitomos said they were average in rolling resistance. I am happy with them so far. The ride smoothly, quietly. No vibrations at higher speeds. Better yet, they tightened up the handling and the car seems less prone to wandering when I cruise down the straight away.

• azygosazygos Member Posts: 9
    Im getting a good deal as far as price goes on a Chevy HHR 2007 with 30,000 miles but im confused on the reliability of this vehicle. Ive been reading alot of problems about it. The consumer report says its got a horrible suspension and brake build on it and what i need to know is this going to be a good investment because im getting it for cheap? What are the repair cost and how often do these repairs need to be made and at what milage. Any comments would be helpful from HHR owners but preferably someone who doesn't own i new car because i know you will say that you love and so on. I need information! I don't know how long this car will stay on the lot but hopefully long enough for me to complete my research! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    I own a 2006 HHR that has had the front end problems everyone describes.
    My suggestion is: Replace the front rotors and brakes with good aftermarket brand ie: EBC slotted and drilled rotors and new pads. This will cost about $300 in parts ( if your good at repairs do them your self). Be sure to " break-in the brakes" properly.
    Seal the passenger front cowling from rain water ( and washing ) coming in and ruining the heater motor. I had to replace two fan motor resistors and one motor before I found the leak on the passenger side was causing the failures.
    Then cross your fingers. Forget about dealing with GM on your problems, they are full of hot air and failed promises.
    We get good gas mileage but yes, the front end steering is bad on these cars.
    Thanks for the information very good to know and I hope more people see your post that are also thinking about buying a Chevy HHR... After all it is still a car and if you can get it cheap enough and do the repairs you said it might be worth it but im not very car savvy so im gonna go find me something a little more reliable. Thanks though very appreciated and like I said I hope more people see your post!
    Does anyone own a 2011 HHR? Im curious to know if they have any problems because my mother owns one and I wandering when some stuff is going to start going south on it or if they changed the designs or something? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • sfchoosiersfchoosier Member Posts: 1
    Ive been told that the problem I am having, is the "rock guard" applied just in front of my rear wheels. While it looks like paint that I have hit, I have tried everything I know to get it off and it wont, it is a white haze that looks terrible. Anyone else have the problems ? I do not have running boards, that would take care of it. Is that piece easy to replace or even replaceable? I love the car, plan on keeping it for a looooong time, but this ruins the look of the car
    Today, I went to my G.M. Dealer to make a oil change and install my winter tires on my 2010 HHR. There was a 2011 HHR in the showroom, I asked my salesmen when will the 2012 HHR's be coming in, he answered.... never. :(
    The 2011 HHR is the last of production.
    And I was counting on trading my 2010 HHR for a 2014/15 HHR.
    That's what happens when a car is to reliable...they take it out of production.
    Now... what will I trade for?
    Laserblue,

I’m sorry that a car you’ve so enjoyed is being taken out of production. Hopefully when you’re ready to trade, you will find another vehicle that suits your fancy and is as satisfactory for you!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gary_tgary_t Member Posts: 5
    It's nice to see that they finally got it right. My 2006 HHR was the most unreliable vehicle I have owned. I sold mine because I was afraid to sneeze in it, for fear of something else going wrong.
    Cudo's for getting it right, but boo, for taking it off the market when you did.
  • hunsingerhunsinger Member Posts: 3
    Where is the oil filter on my 08 HHR ?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    My 06' has been pretty good so far, but I only have 125K Miles on it, so I'll have to wait and see how it goes from here.
    Hunsinger,

I’d be happy to consult with our technical assistance center for you. I just need a little more information: what engine do you have in your HHR and is it stock?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Depends on what engine you have but try this...hope this helps.

You access the oil filter from under the hood. On the front right side of the engine, about half way down, locate a 3 1\2 to 4" round black circular cap with (I think it's 30 or 32mm) "nut" on top. Unscrew the cap.
    The filter will come out with the cap. The filter is a cartridge style filter.
    Thank you. That worked. By the way, I love my HHR, never had any problems with it. We tow it behind our motor home with all four down. Great little car, good gas mileage 28 around town and 30 on highways.
    Got my answer, thank you. Love my HHR, great little car, no problems with it. Chev has always been good cars for the price.
    I'm a loyal GM person, every car I've owned has been a GM product.
    I'm a loyal G.M. customer myself.
    Only 1 car wasn't a G.M. product, my first. Bought it used and promised myself to never buy used again.

#1 - 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger (bought in 1975).

Then all the others where bought new and always had their scheduled maintenance done.

# 2 - 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic (305 c.i) very good
    # 3 - 1983 S-10 Blazer (rwd) 2.8 L very good
    # 4 - 1992 GMC Safari 4.3 L repeated transmission problems (on warranty)
    # 5 - 1994 S-10 Blazer LT (rwd) 4.3 L 200 hp "Vortec" very good but a bit gaz gusler.
    # 6 - 1999 Venture LS very good but destroyed by Hurricane Charlie while vacationing in Florida in 2004
    # 7 - 2005 Equinox LT not so good, lots of repairs on warranty, first year of production.
    # 8 - 2010 HHR 2LT 2.4 L GREAT. Don't want to brag but it's my best one yet....fun to drive, reliable, economical, good cargo space and problem free so far.
  • health1health1 Member Posts: 2
    Were you able to find out what your problem was? I have a 2006 HHR doing the same thing. I am at a loss!! Any response would be greatly appreciated!!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    The symptoms sound like a power problem, the electronics can be very sensitive to voltage issues, battery,alternater, cable/wire issue.
  • hly478hly478 Member Posts: 1
    My problems so far (my car has 72,000 miles on it):
    -warped rotor
    -random stalling on hot days (in GA, there are a LOT of hot days, and this is NOT safe)
    -ignition issues, have to 'pump' key to get it to turn
    -DOOR lock sticks, have had to pay someone to open my car for me (i now keep one door unlocked constantly), and had the lock removed, cleaned, and replaced the key without success.
    -transmission died without warning last night.
    -have to take it to a shop to replace the headlight--making a $14 repair jump up to $70.
    -both key fobs died after three months. $150 to replace each. I said 'no thank you'.

I'm looking to get another vehicle, NOT a Chevy. I do not love this car; the door handles and dashboard seem cheap, the seats stain incredibly easily, and there's a weird 'pocket' under the backseats where random things accumulate when I put down the seat. Only way to get at this 'pocket' is to shove my arm down the back of the half-open seat.

I'm glad they're discontinuing this model--every time I see other HHRs on the road, I wonder if they're having the same issues I am...from looking through this forum, seems like they are having those issues and many more!

on the plus side, my dog loves riding in the cargo area--it's the perfect size for a greyhound.